Final Updates on Day 1 of Mini Camp

Okay, Shawn's baby had to be re-admitted for jaundice, which is pretty common. So things look pretty good in that regard and after a day or two of treatment - I know with Chloe we just had to expose here to light, etc., when she was jaundice - everything should be cool.

As for Landry, he took a shot to the groin during a team paintball outing on Wednesday, and the problem flared up when he reported for a physical Thursday. As Coach Joe said, it's a bizarre thing, but a minor issue as we stated.

Asked Coach Joe about initial talks with Cooley on an extension. Joe said he "would love" to have the TE signed long-term by training camp and the team will work hard to get that done. They have had some preliminary discussions but I would guess they get down the heavy negotiating next month.

Coach said Clinton's extra work was due to him feeling well. His recent check ups were good and some anti-inflammatory drugs have helped. He'd still on very limited work but things look good for training camp.

Also hear the Skins have had some very preliminary contract talks with draft picks HB Blades and Jordan Palmer.

Wow, pretty eventful day, eh?

Have a great weekend.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 15, 2007; 2:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shawn Springs Excued Again (Let's Keep Our Fingers Crossed For Him)
Next: My Bad - Correcting a Mistake

Comments

Okay, who shot Landry in the groin?

Nate?

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: Jimmy | June 15, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

could it be?

Posted by: jm220 | June 15, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Have you been explaining the rules again?

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The person that would benefit the most from Landry being injured would be Prioleau. Do you think he pulled a Tonya Harding?

Posted by: gethanr13 | June 15, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

gethanr13 You know that's just not right. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 15, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

J-La, this is awesome.

It's a free association Friday, and my mind leaps to "I Shot The Sheriff (But I Didn't Shoot The Deputy)," which makes me think of Stanley Richard AKA The Sheriff. Which makes me lament all the lame-o safeties who've stumbled around our D backfield lo these many years.

getanhr13, GREAT call on the Tonya Harding.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

was Dick Cheney at this paintball outing?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You gotta think Cooley is losing money and negotiating leverage every time he hits the field in his short shorts.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

At first, the codpiece was entirely a practical matter of modesty. Men's hose were typically very snug on the legs and open at the crotch, with the genitalia simply hanging loose under the doublet. As changing fashions led to shorter doublets, the codpiece was created to cover the crotch. Alternative versions of the origin of the codpiece exist.[1]

As time passed, codpieces were shaped to emphasize the male genitalia and eventually often became padded and bizarrely shaped. They also often doubled as pockets, handy carrying places for a variety of items such as coins and snuff. In England in the latter half of Queen Elizabeth I's reign, the codpiece and doublet merged into the "peascod" doublet, and the codpiece faded from fashion.

Armour of the 16th century followed civilian fashion, and for a time armoured codpieces were a prominent addition to the best full harnesses. Few of these are in evidence today, though the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City does have one on display, as does the Higgins Armory in Worcester, Massachusetts.[2][3] The armour of Henry VIII in the tower of London has an impressive codpiece.

Renaissance humorist Francois Rabelais wrote a book named "On the Dignity of Codpieces"

Posted by: pseudo loco mullin re-post | June 15, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It was SMACK, at Redskins Park with the Tippmann A5.

I win.

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Yo Janso, how do you NOT have a camera on your cell phone....get a tricked out phone and bill back to WaPo....JEESH!

Posted by: Chris larry | June 15, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I step out for a business meeting for a while and there are 55 new threads by the time I get back! Time to catch up.

The whole Cooley/shorts thing just doesn't bear thinking about.

I thought that kangaroo tasted a lot like ostrich.

And Kost, I was paying a compliment to Aussie Rules players when I said that I was surprised that some haven't made the crossover yet. I would have thought that they have a perfect skill-set to do so, yet all Oz has supplied so far are some dodgy kickers, why is that?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 15, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

what a codpiece....

Posted by: ngk76 | June 15, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

LMGO pic from me. Had to...

Posted by: 4-12 | June 15, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

who shot Landry? I thought it would be obvious.

stupid Cowboy's fans.

Posted by: Buckley | June 15, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Somebody tell Cooley that Tight End is just the position he plays.

LMGO

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Just like the Steelers banned the riding of motorcycles sans helmet, and the SF Giants proscribed the washing of pickup trucks, I guess we'll have to ban paintball.

Thanks for ruining it for everybody by forgetting to wear your codpiece, LaRon!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice 4-12 burned into our retinas.

Maybe he thinks it will help with the contract. What kind of contract is he trying to sign?

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Okay, if there were any lingering doubt that Cooley is the spiritual heir to Riggo, it has now vanished.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Nate I have to agree with you

Posted by: jm220 | June 15, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

From one impressive codpiece to another, whilst simultaneously trying to weave in JM's earlier disco post...

Posted by: Redcoat | June 15, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,
How can you say have a nice weekend and leave us hanging?

We gotta know who shot LaRon? I can't wait for the next episode.

F teh top 5...This is THE story of mini-codpiece, er mini-camp.

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Eh, I was expecting worse from Cooleeeee's shorts.

Hmmmm. Should I rephrase that?

Posted by: charlie | June 15, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I think he should be excued from camp until he can find a nice burgundy and gold Codpiece.

HAIL!

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

That Cooley pic RULZ!!!! I love characters.....they must sign this guy long term........

Posted by: chris larry | June 15, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, Portis had tendinitus in his knee, right? Or was it the shoulder injury flaring up again?

Posted by: gethanr13 | June 15, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That wasnt the pic from last years MC? I thought he had on spandex this year? Or was that not intended to be this years.

Team outing for paintball?

Posted by: Zebra | June 15, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they let the Reaper participate in the paintball outing...

Posted by: CC | June 15, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Z, totally, how stupid can you be to have give VERY EXPENSIVE professional athletes chasing each other with ballistic weapons!?!?! STOOOOOOOPID!

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

THIS kind of football injury is acceptable:
A paintball injury is not acceptable, especially for the NUMBER SIX PICK in the draft!

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. This is a complete non-issue. Move on.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 15, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Greg(Boston)
What mountain?
It's hysterical.

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

OMG! i can't believe cooley did that! and his stock among women just dropped

Posted by: dealer | June 15, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

You callin' my mountain a molehill?

Posted by: LaRon Landry | June 15, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

dc

way behind here, been awhile since i have posted regular. combo of work (boss is the kind who pops in unannounced/unexpected)and the march to 50k/ not much new material subject matter.

will make effort to regain sage status, but just like the NFL the blog keeps rolling, many cabable posters waiting to take your spot on the regular roster reducing you to a blog hang on. is there a pension on this blog?

answer to your question a couple threads ago.... its gibbs not saunders. Joe is now the ceo he does the interview and gets the face time, al and the gang work in the lab creating the gameplan, joe, never the one to take credit and he comes off at times as though he doesn't really do anything. but at the end of the day joe is a football coach, the practices, the looker room, meeting room, film room thats his world and thats why he is back. something tells me that if his health is good he signs an extension, just a guess but i don't know if he could move "upstairs" and not be involved day to day with guys.alot is predicated on what shape the team is in after this season, if he thinks we are really building something i think he stays to finish it , if we faulter again he may see himself as part of what needs fixing and leave at the end of his contract.

just one man's opinion.

Posted by: Old School | June 15, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Cooley stuffs.

Posted by: Big John Holmes | June 15, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling DCSweens reaction to this incident, making a mountain out of a molehill. He's missing time from mini-camp, its not like he tore his ACL.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 15, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Greg I think you've missed the point of Sween's post. There's been a lot said today that wasn't 'tongue in cheek'. That's how I took that posting too. Did you look at the video he linked too?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 15, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Correction: WAS 'tongue in cheek'...

Posted by: Redcoat | June 15, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Old School,
I agree, but I don't think Gibbs is any part of the problem. And if he were, you're right, he would step aside.

So, who do you think shot JR, (er LaRon)?

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, the day shift is signing out to go park on the beltway for an hour or two in the vain hope that I might get home early on a Friday....

A happy wochen-endt to all, and may your codpieces all be jewel-encrusted examples of magnificence.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 15, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat- Don't do it....it's backed up for 30 miles!

Posted by: 4-12 | June 15, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Paintball to the groin? That's gotta hurt. LMGO

Bon Jovi anyone?

Shot through the groin and you're to blame
You give (insert most appropriate noun? here) a bad name

Who shot LaRon? That alone could drive this thread to new and higher post totals.

Posted by: skinswest | June 15, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs should give the Cooley shorts a banning. I heard that Andy Reid wouldn't let T.O. wear his tight pants at camp because he didn't want to see his junk flopping around. Can't say I would blame them in either case.

Posted by: cdubb | June 15, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

my guess it was jansen, he is a hunter right. didn't he tape some rookie to a goal post? go stand over there while i blast your package with this paint ball ak-47

Posted by: Old School | June 15, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should take this more seriously.
Maybe Jasno can find out what kind of gun was used and at what range the shot was fired.

Perhaps there was a second gunman? Is there a Grassy Knoll at Redskins Park. Or maybe this was an Unofficial OTA.

If you shot me in the groin with one of these. I'd hunt you down and give you the full Dick Cheney.

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

That was the nastiest thing I've seen since TO did that shiggity.

JM220 - Cooley needs to be introduced to the hammer.....

Posted by: 4th | June 15, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

what color was the paint? that will tell us whether it was a cowboys fan or not.

Posted by: ngu | June 15, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

LMGO over LaRon's post!

Posted by: Cindy | June 15, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Old School, I was kinda thinking the same thing, mostly b/c during the game, Saunders is up in the booth ... its Gibbs (and Lazor) chatting up JC on the sidelines.

Greg(Boston) and Redcoat, actually, I was serious, but not about the yarbles, but about the risk of a shot to an eye. ["You'll put an eye out, kid!"] If its a commercial paint ball place, the goggles are a shttiy mess, thus encouraging a competitor to take them off.

If I was at the press conference, I'd want to know who got covered with the most paint ... my hunch says Frost.

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Anybody see the movie "School for Scoundrels"? The movie's pretty lame but the paintball scene is funny as hell.

What's with this team though? If it's not Lavar blinding ST with a shaving cream pie it's some knucklehead shooting their prize rookie in the nards. At least it's only June.

Posted by: skinswest | June 15, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, I don't think it was his post that got contused.

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I confess I have dreamed of the day short, tight shorts would return to the forefront of fashion and yet, now that that that day is here thanks to Cooley, I find I am oddly ambivalent.

Posted by: Cindy | June 15, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) claim there were approximately 21,840 nonpowder gun-related injuries treated in emergency departments in 2000. Between 1990 and 2000, the CPSC reported 39 nonpowder gun-related deaths, of which 32 were children age 15 and younger

Each year, approximately 3.2 million nonpowder guns are sold in U.S. department stores, including toy stores. The continued popularity of war and paintball games contributes to higher sales and subsequent accidents, especially eye-related injuries.

While nonpowder guns use compressed air instead of gunpowder to launch projectiles, they are often nearly as powerful as traditional firearms. According to the CPSC, 80 percent of nonpowder guns have muzzle velocities (the speed at which the object leaves the gun) at 350 to 450 feet per second, and 50 percent between 500 and 930 feet per second. A traditional firearm pistol has a muzzle velocity of 750 feet per second to 1,450 per second. Eye penetration can occur at a muzzle velocity of just 130 feet per second.

Of the reported nonpowder gun injuries in 2000, approximately 12 percent were to the eye, 24 percent to the head and neck, 63 percent were to extremities, and 1 percent was to other body areas. Most victims were males.

Technical report data suggests that a lack of supervision and unstructured use may contribute to the injury risk from nonpowder guns.

The report suggests that nonpowder gun injuries should receive prompt medical attention, similar to that associated with firearm injuries.

Eye protective devices (EPDs) may be useful in decreasing but not fully eliminating eye-related injuries associated with paintball use.

Posted by: dcsween (fronting as loco mullin) | June 15, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Relax out there...Just remember, three years ago we were talking about another one of our safeties who had REAL bullets shot at him!!!

I do agree that it is stupid, but freak things happen sometimes.

Posted by: BT | June 15, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, I don't think it was his post that got contused.

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 04:43 PM

LMGO Sween. I almost wrote a similar response.

Posted by: skinswest | June 15, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Shot by a paintball huh?

Was there a lone shooter or are we thinking conspiracy...

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | June 15, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

OK, I will get off my nervous nellification about paintball. I just that, you read about that, and wince a little, you know what I mean? Right down there where it counts. That, plus investment management. I mean, I don't want my prized fighting dogs out there trying to round up cattl.... I've said too much already ...

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | June 15, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm sure the Rookie just got an errant shot to the groin.

Probably followed by the sincerest apology. "Sorry, Sport, that last shot was a bit low. Chin up, the swelling will go down in a week or so."

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Of course, it could be that JLaC just misheard what Gibbs was actually said. Maybe Joe was just repeating what we already knew ("pained ball").

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I was shot on the forearm with one of those paintball guns once while running. Couple of punks in a car joyriding. Gave me a welt that I kid you not raised up 1/4 to 1/2 inch. While we can joke about Landry's current discomfort - I still laugh when I think about it - a shot to a...ahem sensitive area could do some serious damage.

Posted by: skinswest | June 15, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a revenge shooting by those pesky neighborhood kids who lost to Campbell at the bowling?

You take down one of ours, we take down one of yours?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Today, the Skins signed WR Jason Willis, a guy most have never heard of. To make room for him, they had to cut WR Terry Mitchell, another guy most have never heard of.

Posted by: dcsween | June 15, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

The codpiece was a perfect place for a gent to carry milady's Merkin, if there wasn't room in her purse. Ironically, it was a terrible place to carry one's cod, as the heat from being beneath a doublet and from walking all day would tend to make the fish gamey.

It would often lead to exchanges like this:

"Hey, Bob, I smelt your codpiece two blocks away,"

That wasn't smelt, that was cod."

"Well your cod smelt."

Later codpieces carried insulation for cod and a small pocket for tartar sauce.

I'm not making this stuff up.

Posted by: Corkczar | June 15, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor does not go hunting, for that indicates the possibility of failure. Sean Taylor goes killing.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 15, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Good going guys! We are now in the Lead in errrything!

1) Which team has the best offense?

41.5% Washington

40.8% Dallas

12.7% Philadelphia

5.0% N.Y. Giants

2) Which team has the best defense?

42.3% Washington

40.3% Dallas

13.1% Philadelphia

4.3% N.Y. Giants

3) Which team will win the division?

41.9% Washington

40.2% Dallas

12.9% Philadelphia

5.0% N.Y. Giants

Total Votes: 58,725

Remember - You can always vote 3, 4, times!

Posted by: 4th Floor | June 15, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

GADZOOKS!!!!

Posted by: hills in dc | June 15, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Just voted again

Remember Guys Vote early and Often... its the american way

Posted by: Dante | June 15, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, pretty eventful day, eh?

I'll post some offbeat stuff later today or early Sat. morning and again during practice tomorrow as things develop."

How can it get any more offbeat?

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

STOP POSTING COOLEY PICs.

Nasty
Nasty
NAsty

Now, Let me go vote some more...

See ya on Monday!

Posted by: 4th | June 15, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"Pierson Prioleau, who missed the entire 2006 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on the opening kickoff against Minnesota, is considered the unofficial starter at strong safety until Landry proves he is ready to assume the role."

Posted by: 4th via HB | June 15, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"Asked Coach Joe about initial talks with Cooley on an extension"

Based on those new pics of Cooley, an *ahem* extension looks to be in order.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

On voting:
You can just hit Submit, Back Page, Submit, Back Page, until your fingers fall off.

Posted by: Stumped | June 15, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Pierson Prioleau sounds like an apparent "person of interest" in Paintball-to-the-groin-gate but I think it was the one-armed man ------ which would be Brunell of course.

Posted by: Dr. Richard Kimball | June 15, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

new post!

Posted by: gethanr13 | June 15, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Was landry shot from the grassy knoll,

and isnt it dangerous to allow the reaper a loaded firearm in a public place.. he was bad enough with a bat last offseason. Can you imagine the response if someone took his flag !!!!

Posted by: Ian in London UK | June 15, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I've always worn a cusp when I play paintball to avoid that sort of injury!

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat - I knew you weren't having a crack mate, sorry if it sounded like a I was having a go back, but I was pretty drunk!
The other reason there aren't too many cross over players, is because Aussie Rules players have just too much passion for the game, which is why the guys who become punters are all in there mid 30's. I do remember hearing though, that Man-gina was talking about using Ben Graham as a Tight End in goal line packages, because he has good size, and good hands, but then he had a Romo-ment and fumbled a FG snap, which pretty much ended those thoughts!

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

dcsween wrote about the muzzle velocities of nonpowder guns:
80% have muzzle velocities at 350-450 ft/s
50% have muzzle velocities at 500-930 ft/s
so >130% have muzzle velocity 350-930 ft/s?

Who shot LaRon?
I think Sean Taylor ;-)
1) People thought he might be pissed off about drafting LaRon.
2) Friendly fire on Springs and Smoot.
3) People considering stealing his ATVs will now have to think about the possibility of becoming one of the Sopranos.

Posted by: Mike | June 16, 2007 4:32 AM | Report abuse

rjkytd axclnqiur jdua zihnp lonui udjwvq nthjlfeb

Posted by: merikgdqu pmvicz | June 20, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

ejhlcatq shnalqeg zxit kuwtrim dylpwvix uqsvjhwbc sawnfodvz http://www.fxsmbzh.dpqe.com

Posted by: fsetvz jifpzo | June 20, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fsetvz jifpzo | June 20, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

xaqpuf stazy wevdji myda fdqxz kuxcfywjb tqamdwbun eathksl eqkbadui

Posted by: zvie fgomw | June 20, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

xaqpuf stazy wevdji myda fdqxz kuxcfywjb tqamdwbun eathksl eqkbadui

Posted by: zvie fgomw | June 20, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

xvkmzc vyhlqxj wgdb kiyjngz gszbqrxt upmafvkg vphijqzo [URL=http://www.yxgjhd.briah.com]dpye keqompwl[/URL]

Posted by: upsnklqtb mqlaj | June 20, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

axgczfi iarmo etpxia wyol cglhtvy wharm mftahx [URL]http://www.gjcx.pbflvg.com[/URL] ousq ewtmonl

Posted by: oacfdmzx nbmx | June 20, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oacfdmzx nbmx | June 20, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

acvdnt pcmiw ihgl jkrtgizdx juzoksy bvhdnr zlbxjhtd

Posted by: mvsaxntl ubag | June 27, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

dcwrimep gmfoeutj yfxhzok cefhy xfkylzct psbioxu dwojms qcebkw ghmb

Posted by: jodel vscmz | June 27, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse