Fletcher earns another accolade

It's not quite the Pro Bowl, but the honors have started to come in for London Fletcher, who recently was named to Peter King's all-decade team.

The Redskins' linebacker was one of 26 players named today to the inaugural All-Fundamentals team, sponsored by USA Football and the NFL Players Association. The honor is bestowed on 11 offensive, 11 defensive and four special teams positions who demonstrate sound technique for young players to emulate.

Fletcher enters Sunday's game at Oakland ranked third in the NFL in tackles with 109. (According to the team's figures, which are compiled by reviewing game film, Fletcher has 131 tackles - 81 solo and 50 assisted.)

Fletcher and the other honorees will choose a youth team or high school football program to receive a $1,500 equipment grant from USA Football.

By Rick Maese  |  December 10, 2009; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall faces another part of his past on Sunday
Next: O line has a hand in Redskins' improvement

Comments

Fletch is just a beast. End of story.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

You tellin' me all USA Football and the NFL Players Association could muster up was 1,500 bucks?

Ol' penny pinchin' bamas.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Damn shame if he doesn't he get voted for Pro Bowl! Legit BEAST!

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 10, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Damn shame if he doesn't get voted to the Pro Bowl! Legit BEAST!

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 10, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Matty, anything is possible…..just think that he has definitely improved the Dline play and that he is definitely not a bust like Stubby was. Really just pointing out how some folks will never, EVER, admit that they might be wrong about something.

And pot should DEFINITELY be legalized.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 10, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

hahaha...

Yeah I'm with you on AH -- I think he's made a difference. My problem isn't as much on that topic as it is the "Is he living up to his contract" question. I personally think its nearly impossible to ever live up to that kind of money. Also, it's really irritated me to see him floopping on the ground "writhing in pain" game after game after game when it's pretty obvious he's just gassed. But yes, he's made a difference on the D-line.

Posted by: mattylight | December 10, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Got beeped

If only we could resign the 41 year old gun slinger Jeff George.

With 6 former teams, JR would have the opportunity to write stuff like the last article all the time.

Last week, you could have clicked on this website and thought maybe you were mistakenly sent to a N.O.'s website. This week nothing about the Raiders and tons of discussion about a kicker.

This is the week to actually compare the opponents FO to ours and actually feel a little better about the direction and guidance of our team and that's no easy task. C’mon JR this week practically writes itself, here’s an idea… Al Davis vs. Danny.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 10, 2009 12:10 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 10, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | December 10, 2009 12:16 PM

Agreed….I talked about this yesterday, saying to watch for him acting in Law and Order next season…..but for his contract, you have to look at it not as a 100 milliion $ deal, but the 41 million dollars. Is he playing like the best DT in the league? One of the best anyway, and that’s what they paid for…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Family Guy.

The best show on TV, and I don't care what any of you say, that fact isn't debatable at all!!!

Posted by: RedDMV

FTW.

Fletch - prob the best player on the team.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Fletch.

Now, if they only put him and Carter in the Pro Bowl.......

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

DL isn't interested in logic, he just wants to win. We'll let him think what he likes and the rest of us will hang out in reality.
Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2009 12:10 PM

I readily admit when I am wrong. I’ve gone on record as being very wrong about many things up here….I thought the Jason Taylor pickup was a great move when it happened…..I thought drafting Fred Davis was a colossal waste of a pick, I was an unquestioning JC17 supporter, but have gone on the fence about him and oft criticized and questioned his play as of late. Shows to one’s credibility….
Yeah it takes a big man to go on record as saying he was wrong about a final score…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is the man.

Anyone have any idea what we'll do with Orakpo next year? Seems like the kid has adjusted pretty well to LB, but is still a beast of a pass rusher. Wonder if a new coaching staff will move him back to full-time DE, or leave him where he is and move him around to create matchup problems?

Posted by: mattylight | December 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Family Guy.

Posted by: RedDMV

I saw a new show that really rocked. Outer Space Astronauts.

But the best show on tv is Trailor Park Boys. You might need Direct TV to see it.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 10, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | December 10, 2009 12:25 PM

That question will be answered in FA and the draft. I'm for playing him with his hand in the dirt.

It's generally tough for a DE to play OLB in a 4-3 D, but he's pulled it off. Chris Wilson hasn't looked to bad either.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is the man.

Posted by: mattylight | December 10, 2009 12:25 PM

It sure seems like I see Blades in there a lot a SLB. Makes me wonder about Orakpo's effectiveness there. Meanwhile I see all this praise heaped on Cushing and the other USC LBs. Of course, there's no doubt Blades is a player and it should be no surprise he's getting playing time.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm all ways right about admitting when I'm wrong.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 10, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Sichuan, saw a bunch of comments on previous threads about meeting up at the Oakland game. To which my answer is simply "yes."

zcezcest posted our group's seat location a few threads back. Give me a holler at nateinthepdx at gmail if you want to touch base.

And, hey, anybody else out there going to the game Sunday, feel free to give me a shout as well. First-ever RI meet-up in the state of California. The parade of dorks continues. Feel the love, people. Bless us all, everyone.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM

Pretty sure Blades comes in when Po goes to the DE.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 10, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

To my Suprise Landry was only responsible for one of the touchdowns against the Saints, the other was Smoots responsibility. Watch the Video and tell me what you think, Yes I know he's been getting burned the whole season, but in the last play he was right his responsibility was to jump the intermediate route and smoot was to cover the deep field. I think the problem is the scheme the secondary runs

Posted by: Istudydrugs | December 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

beeping

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"And pot should DEFINITELY be legalized."

Bro', I was just thinkin' the same thing.

And then I sat down to post it.

But I forgot what I was doing, and then got hungry, and then feel asleep.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to LFB, a true warrior and football brain. Always happy to have him on our side. I was gutted when he missed the Pro Bowl last year but it must be said that Patrick Willis was deserving of a place at ILB. He's another beast.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | December 10, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse