Fletcher philosphical about Pro Bowl vote

Last year, when he was overlooked - yet again - for the Pro Bowl, Redskins middle linebacker London Fletcher spoke emotionally about his disappointment, saying that the fact that he doesn't do a lot of post-tackle celebrating means he doesn't draw extra attention to himself and, in turn, he is punished. Flashy, he argued, equaled praise.

Wednesday, a day after he was again left off the NFC Pro Bowl roster, Fletcher was more introspective. He focused instead on the fact that he is a first alternate, meaning that if anything happens to the two inside linebackers named to the team - San Francisco's Patrick Willis and New Orleans's Jonathan Vilma - he will appear in the game, which takes place a week before the Super Bowl in Miami.

"I wouldn't say I'm necessarily disappointed," Fletcher said. "I think one thing that you can get so caught up in what you don't have that you lose sight of what you do have. I've been informed that I am the first alternate for the Pro Bowl. You think about it, and that means that a lot of my peers - players and coaches around the league - and fans felt that I was deserving of a Pro Bowl bid. I'm still holding out hope to where maybe some thing happens to where I'm able to get in there. ... So I'm not disappointed. I'm still considered one of the top middle linebackers in the game. That's all you can think about."

There is, too, a twist this year. Because the game is the Sunday before the Super Bowl, anyone on the conference champion teams will have to be replaced. Fletcher's message: Go Saints!

"I sent [New Orleans defensive coordinator] Gregg Williams a text saying I'm a huge, huge New Orleans fan," Fletcher said. "Congratulations, Vilma. Go Saints."

Fletcher, though, was a big supporter of rookie linebacker-defensive end Brian Orakpo, who did make the Pro Bowl in his first year in the league.

"You see Brian and realize that he made it, and just the type of kid he is - I consider him a kid, he's a young guy - he's extremely humble, and you appreciate that about him," Fletcher said. "As a rookie he's come in here and he's done it the right way. He's very respectful. He pays attention in the meetings. He wants to get better each and every week. And you think about it, he's had to learn two different positions, which is not easy and a lot of people have tried and failed at it, but he's excelled at playing both linebacker and defensive end for us."

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 30, 2009; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher's chances rest with Saints; Carter is 2nd alternate
Next: Betts does rehab with a training camp target

Comments

Way to keep it classy, London.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 30, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

They had the game won the minute they stepped off the plane. 'Skins didn't stand a chance at winning that game.
This team should be 3-13, second to worst squad in the entire NFL.
Posted by: RedDMV | December 30, 2009 1:52 PM

As bad as the offense was playing, the D was still alive and kicking. I had visions of someone/anyone to Moss for 2 long bombs plus some sort of Christmas miracle…..oh well, I am the eternal optimist when it comes to this team.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 30, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 30, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Campbell IS the best player on the offense right now. CAMPBELL IS A WARRIOR. He is getting hammered and completing 65% of his passes through week 14. There aren't a lot of guys who can pull that off.

Posted by: pabrian2003

Of the 65% completions, I'd guess about 95% of them were for 10 yards or less, and over 50% of them were checkdowns. Campbell's greatness is in his mediocrity.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 30, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

London exudes class. I've come to expect nothing less.

I keep expecting his play to diminish, but it shows no signs of doing so. Watch him on every play.

I don't know if he is the coaching type, but I certainly think he could be a great one.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 30, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

With apologies to the Edsels....

(As sung by Daniel M. Snyder, age 41 ¾)

I got a coach named Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong
Mike's getting paid me
Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong
I'll never set him free
For Mike's mine, all mine
Oh oh oh oh

I got a coach named Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong,
Mike reports to me,
Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong
Jerry Jones don't believe that he's mine, all mine

I love him, love him, love him so.
And I'll never-never let him go.
You may be certain Mike's mine, all mine,
Mike is mine all of the time.

Oh I got a coach named Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong
He’s rebuilding my team
Shanahan, Shanahan a Ding Dong
I don’t need Vinny,
‘Cause Mike's mine, all mine

Posted by: Redcoat | December 30, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

We should keep London out there until he's 40, even if he's just standing there shouting orders at the rest of the defense like a field general.

Then we should make him our Linebacker coach.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is a class act, fights hard, and a leader off the field. Although, I think he would be better off playing QB in another town next year. I wish him well.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | December 30, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

The packers have:

1) Better receivers
2) Better running game
3) Better coaching

Take those all away and tell me Rodger is as good as JC? No.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Art Monk of LB's. It's a very LONG shot, but maybe, just maybe The Hall will call your name, #59! Just keep on, keeping on...

Posted by: tony11 | December 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want about JCampbell, but never underestimate his heart. Just like another no 17 that was abused by Tampa Bay, regrouped in the USFL,traded to the Skins only to enjoy a spectacular career, this could be another history in the making, trade or release him, we will all live to see.

Posted by: abxinc | December 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Mort from ESPN said this morning that Shanahan WILL be the Skins new coach. Of course, most of the national and local media has said that all along. Mort was pretty adamant, though.

It would be hilarious if everyone is wrong.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The word 'optimism' and the Washington Redskins are like oil and water.

HEY JASON REID AND CINDY BOREN! I have an idea for you:

Do a poll on the lowest, most suckiest, most pathetic part of the 2009 season.

I'm going with the loss to the Lions.

The Lions had lost something like 23 games in a row before Washington became "that team".

After that is the MNF drubbing from the Giants, the 9-7 WIN over the Rams, the recent blank job against Dallas, then the loss to the Chiefs.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan |

Not to pile on, but Aaron Rodgers ranks 6th in yards per completion among active QB's. Campbell ranks...32nd.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 30, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

The packers have:

1) Better receivers
2) Better running game
3) Better coaching

Take those all away and tell me Rodger is as good as JC? No.

Posted by: REXskins

This is a chicken-egg argument. Are our receivers bad because they lack talent or because Campbell can't get them the ball in a timely and accurate manner? Are our RB's worse because they lack talent or because no team respects our QB or our passing game? I can't really defend our current coaching, but notice that each time we made the playoffs under Joe Gibbs II, Campbell was NOT our starting QB.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 30, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Red, the only good thing about that miserable loss to the Lions (which I agree was the low point in the season) was that the season couldn't get any worse than that.

Too bad it didn't get any better, either...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 30, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

JC17 could be a good QB on a great team. He is just not the type of QB to elevate those around him. He will need a good supporting cast. Given the situation with the Redskins that will not exist for at lease several seasons why would he event want to stay.

It takes alot of guts to go out there and take the hits he has taken and not just go totally balistic after the game given some of the stupid questions that are asked by the media.

I hope he does well, there are plenty of QBs that have switched teams and went on to have successful careers. Drew Brees for one, he was pretty sorry the first four years with SD. He had much better talent to work with those four years than JC has ever had.

I do not understand the anger towards the young man he is trying his best what else could you ask for given the situation that he is in?

Posted by: m_p_holmes | December 30, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Cool! Let's sign Aaron Rodgers! Problem solved.

Posted by: closer44 | December 30, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The packers have:

1) Better receivers
2) Better running game
3) Better coaching

Take those all away and tell me Rodger is as good as JC? No.

Posted by: REXskins

I'll have to agree to disagree with you Rex, wr's close, give the pack a slight edge
running game= even
coaches can only call the plays on game day, players have to execute them. Rodgers does, JC doesn't

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Not to repeat myself but his receivers are all possession receivers and they're all better than ours, and he's not designing the plays and his playaction is credible because he actually has a running threat.

Everybody wants to give 100% of the credit to Rodgers but that's nonsense.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Rizz

Looking at the list...it tells me nothing.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Compare JC to Aaron Rodgers of Greenbay. Rodgers has been sacked more than JC and yet he still finds a way to get his team to the playoffs."

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

Again, Aaron Rodgers is in the elite class of QBs, Jason Campbell is not.

STOP comparing Campbell to Aaron Rodgers. You're comparing Campbell to a PRO BOWL quarterback!!! If you're going to compare Campbell, compare him to someone like Garrard, Shaun Hill/Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens/Mark Sanchez, Trent Edwards/Fitzpatrick... guys who have the same talent, or numbers as he. Aaron Rodgers proved last year that he was ready, this year he took it there

You don't have to be an elite QB to win super bowls in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: m_p_holmes

No anger at all for JC or anyone really. Just calling them as I see them. It's a profession he's chosen so no, I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

running game= even

Posted by: 1965skinsfan
------------------------

lol at receivers being close. Driver is their #2 guy, think about that. Who's our #2? We don't even really have one.

The packers are 14th in rushing, we are 27th.

And your presumption that all plays are created equal and regardless of coaching talent as it pertains to the player just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

London exudes class. I've come to expect nothing less.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 30, 2009 2:04 PM

Good insight. Mike Singletary's done a commendable job in SF; Fletch has a lot of the same character and fire. Campbell has a lot of that same character--stoic, dauntless, tough, principled--maybe Shanahan can light the fire.

Posted by: boothintexas | December 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to be an elite QB to win super bowls in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV

Red,

I'm comparing these two because both O-lines have been terrible, in fact Rodgers has been sacked more than JC. I compare them as a testament to the fact a good QB can get it done in spite of a lousy line.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

* beepity beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 30, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Additional point about Rodgers - he may have the sacks but if you watch the games you'll see plenty of times when he has lots of protection and time. With him it's a mixed bag of great protection and getting blitzed and smothered.

JC on the otherhand gets pressure every down from a 4 man rush, meaning there's lots of defenders still on his receivers.

I'm saying it's not apples to apples, at all, not even close. The comparison based on sacks alone is ignorant.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

How anyone on a 4-12 team complains of being left off the pro-bowl is beyond me.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | December 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If I am Brian Orakpo, I give my spot to Fletcher. Orakpo will make it again, no doubts.

What I don't get is all of those players who don't want to go and here's a guy who is begging to be there.

London Fletcher deserves better...and he is deserving.

Art Monk part 2.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to be an elite QB to win super bowls in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV

17 of the last 20 Superbowls were won by "elite" QB's. I suppose you COULD win with an average QB, but the stats are stacked against you.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: m_p_holmes

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

1965skinsfan

I do not think that you have been angry, you are stating facts. Although there have been some angry comments that do not seem to be justified by other posters.

I would agree comparing JC17 to Aaron Rodgers is like comaring apples and oranges. Although, I do think that comapring him to Sanchez and the like is a fair comparison. Sanchez has under-performed considering that he has a great o-line, they can rush the football and there defense is excellent as well.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | December 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Well as someone has posted the end is near(thank God!) and JC will hopefully get out of here before they can insult him anymore and thus will end my forty plus year affiliation with this franchise as a fan, the utter stupidity that has engulfed this team is more than i can take,but the final straw has been the treatment of Jason Campbell if they didn't care about him then why not just trade him instead letting him get his brains beat in, Levar Arrington was right when he said on his radio broadcast that JC was being set up for failure(horrible O-line and the lack of a real downfield threat and more issues too numerous to name) of course their was the everyday insults posted on this blog about his lack of supposed intelligence(closet racism) and Jim Zorn(H/C?) who imo did nothing in helping JC's maturation process and then everyday this past offseason Campbell had to endure the so called fans love affair with Jay Cutler and an unproven Mark Sanchez who together this season have thrown over 40 plus int's with one more game to go. Campbell if nothing else is resilient, he has been classy this whole season even after an overrated HOF QB(Sonny Jurgensen)called for his benching, in closing i'd like to wish Jason Campbell the very best here's hoping one day these fans will appreciate your hard work and loyalty, i know i did.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

HEY JASON REID AND CINDY BOREN! I have an idea for you:

Do a poll on the lowest, most suckiest, most pathetic part of the 2009 season.

I'm going with the loss to the Lions.

I thought we'd done it already -- the current 'what's the biggest distraction?' poll was kinda close, but here's a quick look at the one The Times did on worst losses, since Google found it:

Which of the Redskins' losses this season is the worst? Response Percent Votes Giants 23, Redskins 17 0% 6 votes Lions 19, Redskins 14 27% 340 votes Panthers 20, Redskins 17 0% 8 votes Chiefs 20, Redskins 17 4% 59 votes Eagles 27, Redskins 17 0% 3 votes Falcons 31, Redskins 17 1% 15 votes Cowboys 7, Redskins 6 21% 261 votes Eagles 27, Redskins 24 0% 7 votes Saints 33, Redskins 30 42% 520 votes 1219 total votes

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | December 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

That didn't come out so hot. Basically, here are your leaders:

Lions 19, Redskins 14 27% 340 votes

Cowboys 7, Redskins 6 21% 261 votes

Saints 33, Redskins 30 42% 520 votes

So you were on to something.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | December 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

17 of the last 20 Superbowls were won by "elite" QB's

Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler. For that statement to be true, two of these five would need to be "elite" QBs. Don't see it.

Of course an elite QB would help, and the last 20 years probably have fewer elite types on the SB winners than the first 20. But it isn't like we're the Vikings with only improved QB play between us and contender status. Until the lines on both sides of the ball are credible, the rest of the roster is just window dressing.

Posted by: zimbar | December 30, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | December 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No I don't think racism has anything to do with it and I am one of the Campbell supporters. Redskins fans have always been extremely critical of QBs. Take for example Mark Rypien. The year he won the superbowl MVP everyone loved him. Two seasons later, he got hurt, tried to come back too soon to help the team and his O-Line was in shambles due to injuries and some of these same fans that are posting now (I imagine) and definitely fans who simply adored him two seasons before, turned on him like sharks in a feeding frenzy. Suddenly he was terrible, the superbowl year had nothing to do with him he was just along for the ride, yadda yadda yadda......

Don't confuse racism with people just looking for something to complain about so they can be heard.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is a class act, we are very lucky to have him as one of our defensive leader and as a mentor to Brian. I hope he does appear in the game. Go New orleans....

Posted by: maz3 | December 30, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"If we could start 22 London Fletchers, we'd be 11-4 instead of 4-11. This guy exudes class and is one of the rare GOOD signings this team has made this decade."

Posted by: brownwood26

Yeah, but 22 Fletchers versus a little, mini-Ditka.......DITKA by 17.

(sorry just had a flashback to "Da Bears" sketch.)

Posted by: ts35 | December 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The Lions was the worst, because you knew they had to blow it up, meaning a long painful season is ahead + rebuilding the next year.

Orakpo blows his knee before he steps on the field next year. That's all the pro bowl bid means to me. Or if not him Davis.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Ray Lewis didn't commit murder but he certainly knows who did. I am glad Ray in born again but if he truly wants to repent he needs to confess the truth about that night."

Posted by: skinsfaninWI

Confess to who? To you? If it's about repentance, that's between him, his church, and God. If so, how do you know he hasn't already confessed, and whether he does or not has not one damn thing to do with you.

Posted by: ts35

not to me i could give two rat's behind. There is a murderer walking the streets today and I believe Ray knows who it is. So how about confessing to law enforcement and to the family of that young man

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | December 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What QB out there is going to come in here and play better than Campbell will? There isn't a Manning in the draft or a Brees in free agency. You want to draft a rookie QB? Fine, but if anyone thinks that any of them is going to come in here and blaze this team to anything better than 8-8, even with an upgrade of the O-line is mistaken. Campbell may not be the long term solution but he is better than anything out there right now, or in April.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | December 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The packers have:

1) Better receivers
2) Better running game
3) Better coaching

Take those all away and tell me Rodger is as good as JC? No.

Posted by: REXskins

-----

The Pack do have better receivers and probably running game -- though tough to judge by this year with all of the RB injuries the Skins have had. But I still don't think you have any basis to say that under the same circumstance JC is definitively better than Rodgers. And there is definitely a counter-argument that are those WRs better regarded, and is their running game better because Rodgers is a better QB (and they had Favre before that)?

Look at Eddie Royal. Last year, with deep-throwing Cutler, he looked like an All-Pro. This year with Orton, who doesn't throw deep as well, Royal disappeared. QB's definitely affect how good the WRs are as much as the reverse. Sidney Rice is another great example. Look at what he's doing this year with Favre.

Personally, not based on anything but the eyeball test, Rodgers throws a better, more accurate pass with more touch. He seems to make better reads, although that is tough to say definitively just as a fan. To my eye, Rodgers is the better QB, and I don't think it's close. I also do think it is a bit telling that the Broncos were willing to take Orton in trade over Campbell.

Posted by: ts35 | December 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher knows his achievements in his NFL career, (and we all know how farce this Pro Bowl system is anyway), all of us know that he will surely be in the Hall of Fame! Like some fans mentioned. If we have 53 London Fletchers on this team, we would be 11-4 instead of 4-11 (4-12 by Sunday). Fletch is a heck of a LB and a class act guy!!!! GO FLETCHER!!!! I hope he retires as a Redskin!

Btw, cough..... GO SAINTS!!!!! Rest Vilma!

Posted by: alucard1 | December 30, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Mark Rippen, Doug Williams and Joe Thiesman were NOT elite QB`s, But they all won superbowl`s with elite offensive lines! You do not need an elite QB to win the big one! BTW F- Dallas!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | December 30, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse