Fletcher says Michael Vick is NFL's MVP

By Jason Reid

Inside linebacker London Fletcher has seen many impressive individual performances during 13 seasons in the NFL, but Michael Vick's dazzling outing Monday night was something extra, he said.

"If he's not [the best player in the league]," Fletcher said, "I don't know who is."

Vick tormented the Redskins from the start in leading the Philadelphia Eagles to a 59-28 rout at FedEx Field. The three-time Pro Bowler completed 20 of 28 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions while compiling a 150.7 passer rating. He also rushed for 80 yards (with a 10.0-yard average) and two more touchdowns as the Eagles amassed 592 yards.

"He's got my MVP vote," Fletcher said. "I don't have one, but if I did he definitely would have it because of his ability to extend plays. And the weapons that they have, the offense that they have, he was just ridiculous tonight. He's the MVP of the league. He still hasn't thrown an interception."

By Jason Reid  | November 16, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaRon Landry at center of the storm with Eagles
Next: Clinton Portis says he's '50-50' to play against Tennessee Titans

Comments

Remember when this blog had actual commentary and not just editing room floor posts of stuff that didnt make it to print?

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

And Fletcher is nearing the end of his storied career in the NFL.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are 0-4 when they score 24 or more points.

Yet, 4-1 when they score 17 or less.

Theories?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are 0-4 when they score 24 or more points.

Yet, 4-1 when they score 17 or less.

Theories?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Yeah, we haven't played a complete game all season. If the D is working then the O stumbles...and vica versa.

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"So now Snyders handle is forever 8-8, I am feeling a tear rise up in me now."

I don't even know what you are trying to say. All I'm saying is 10 million for another year with a solid QB isn't a bad deal. A little perspective, Jake Delhomme is getting 7 million in Cleveland this year. Just saying. I guess, ThrowItToMyTeam, is Vinny's new handle.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse
All I'm saying is you sure sound like your defending someone, LOL and it Ain't Vinny. I don't even play handball do you ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

folks, the redskins lost the game last nite as a team, that said, mcnabb is not the leader some folks think he is. sure he had a team meeting on the sideline, that much is expected of your team leader when you're playing with no emotion. report has it he is lazy in practice, he doesn't get on players asses when he needs to, and he rolls his eyes and drops his shoulders the first sign of trouble. the redskins didn't sign a QB that's a leader and that's a huge mistake.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The first play of the last TWO games has set the expectations of what to expect for the duration of the game.

Lions: Rabach steps on McNabbs foot, #5 goes down...sack

Eagles: 2 deep coverage, DHall fails to press DJax giving him a free release, Orakpo held and not called, Landry gets beat over the top...TD

I actually like the McNabb signing after finding out that they can get out of the deal after 2011 even though we don't have the luxury of drafting a QB this year with our needs at C, OG (2), NT, WR (2), 3-4 DE (2), FS, CB, RB, etc F'ing etc..

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

vica versa?

Looks like I spell as well as we play D...

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

edvar,

if your analysis is correct, it really validates the theory that defense wins games...

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

edvar,

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:20 AM

Just look at last night. We hung 28 on them an didn't come close.

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Yup....MMHB....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey, top 10-5 defense my A!
Over the last few years this same group has held teams to less yards but still gave up wins in the final minutes of games. They never create pressure on the QB, which leads to plenty of time for the opposing QB to pick us apart.
This D has always been a BREAK BUT DON'T BREAK Defense.
Dhall and Landry getting in to it with the Eagles before the game and REDSKINS fans criticizing them for it. What a bunch of chicks, what did you think if we didn't piss them off they would go easy on us? This is a rivalry ladies, we didn't invite Philly over for tea. They came to play football and the Skins didn't.
Kyle Shanahan and Has need to be fired (fat chance of this happening). Kyle's O has stunk it up and he doesn't make adjustments (in game or at halftime), the same goes for Has.
Has' D has given up 2 500+ yard games this season and was picked apart by a rookie and a 2nd year guy who came back from shoulder injury. F'in sad.

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"So now Snyders handle is forever 8-8, I am feeling a tear rise up in me now."

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2010 10:25 AM |

fans wouldn't criticize the two if they could back up their trash talking. how embarrassing to run off at the mouth and then get burned big time on the FIRST play.

next excuse

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Youth Movement?

So when is the right time for the youth movement?

When do we say goodnight to Galloway and Rabach - two old players that most certainly will never again play any better than their poor performances of late?

When do we bring up guys like Austin, Capers and Cooke to evaluate and build valuable experience that can only come through playing?

When does a guy like Barnes see game time.

Our O line is getting shredded with the Vets in there. Our receivers regularly drop third down catches and scare no one. Our D is a hard hitting sieve.

We're 4-5, so we are still in the hunt, though heading in the wrong direction. Does an injection of youth help us or finish us? Do we invest in youth and building valuable experience and game time, or do we dig in and bet that veteran experience will pull us through?

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I just don’t get it...Seriously...J Galloway, why is the guy still on the team? I’m with you BTG cut bait and bring up the youngster. Can he really be worse?
Raid the other leagues…Someone has to be looking better than Galloway.
McNabb is not the problem. Start by giving him another target to throw to.

Posted by: fat_back | November 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

edvar,

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:20 AM

At least for the Skins it does. This offense isn't talented enough to make plays consistently against good teams.

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Yup....MMHB....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 10:23 AM

Sup 4thFloor? Hope you had a good time at the game--other than watching the Skins get their asses handed to them.

One turkey from the Eagles says LL spit on him; LL says he didn't. I go with LL until proven otherwise.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Hessone how is McNabb not a leader? Because he's not screaming and hollering like Tom Brady?

So you mean to tell me that the players have been raving about his leadership for weeks and even stood behind him while bewildered at Shanahan for the benching..and he's not a leader? McNabb may be soft spoken but his leadership Style works for him. As for his practice habits...another Espn insider who was working with the Redskins said his practice habits are just fine. You think the players would support Donovan if he was giving 1/2 effort?

Posted by: smooth700 | November 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 10:32 AM |

youth and the draft,

folks will say the draft is a crap shoot. folks, you've got to give the draft a chance for it to be a crap shoot and we don't even do that. if what folks are saying is true that we have good football people in place, than our drafting young players should be better.

build thru the draft and then add the missing pieces thru FA's

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Anybody notice Shanahan's expression on the sideline before the game started? He looked like a guy who had just had one of his nuts plucked. Not the usual intensity, but a look of quiet, angry disbelief.

Snyder picked up that "wealthy black Washington" (Wilbon's words, or close) was upset about McNabb, so Snyder had to placate a huge part of the base that keeps the mofo in business by buying skins paraphernalia. Signs McNabb to another crazy Snyder deal, and thereby snubs Shanahan.

Ironically, I suspect it will be Shanny who leaves at the end of the season, not McNabb. Snyder's meddling just won't end, ever.

The Washington Redskins are Daniel Snyder's toy.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

edvan, co-sign on youth, heck, lets see what Darrell Young can do running out of the I, cat looked like he has some quicks.......

that galloway is still on the team is beyond comprehension....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

There's a pu$$y SJK'n quote. If some guy schelacks YOU, he's automatically the best guy out there?

Ok, sure, our players didn't execute - but VegasJ is right - what the SJK kinda game plan was that.

I was really hoping Shanny et. al. wouldn't do the standard "you're too stupid to understand me"... all too typical -- so im'ma dumb it down.

Obviously, that doesn't work.

& Hess is right, btw - do the talk AFTER you whop 'em. Otherwise you just paint the target larger.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

just when you think stupidity has bottomed out, someone gets a shovel and brings it to a new low....WOW is that dumb....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to think that the Skins should not resign Tana. As a matter of fact the only WR's that should stay on this roster is AA13, BB16, and MK12.

By next year, BB16 should have a couple of packages on offense. But IMO, I think AA13 is basically what Tana was a couple years ago. A fast, deep threat.

I would love to see MK12 stay healthy and play well. But I think we sign VJ83 in Free Agency, then draft a WR.

That would be a better WR corp then we have had in a bunch of years. VJ83, a stud rookie, AA13, MK12, and BB16.

Also. I have come up with some good reasons as to why we should keep Clinton Portis:

1. Every1 needs a vet RB.
2. Most young RB's can't play on 3rd down b/c of poor blocking skills.
3. This year CP has proven he can be a leader, and help the young RB's out.
4. He doesn't mind not starting.
5. He has already been paid.

Saying all that, Torain, Keiland, or James Davis, has to prove they are worthy of a starting role. I love Torain, but he doesn't have breakout speed. James Davis does, but he hasn't been activated yet. (probably due to his tweet).

We will get O linemen. But we can't draft a bunch of them. I know O line should come 1st, but we are in dier need of young talent.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:43 AM

And you are naive, my friend.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm just going to post once today because I really don't want to keep reviewing last night's game in my head. The bottom line is the Redskins were outcoached in every aspect of the game. The defense flat out sucked, the offense had way too many 3 and outs - especially in the first quarter when they could have slowed the Eagles down, and the special teams were merely average.

The team came out flat and got their noses punched in. When one guy comes out flat, it is the guy's fault, but when everyone comes out flat, it has to be on the coach. The decision to only have two running backs active was a poor one. The decision to play the Tampa Two and Cover Two defenses was a poor one: Landry in deep coverage is not a good thing. S

They were playing a team where they knew they would be playing pass coverage most of the game, so where were Barnes and Westbrook on defense? You mean Doughty is the better pass coverage guy of the three? If Barnes and Westbrook are that pathetic, then why did the team let Tryon go? Would Barnes and Westbrook be liabilities against a scrambling Vick? I have to believe those two guys are faster than Doughty...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

This team appears to be regressing, the same way it did after going 6-2 in Zorn's first year.

With that bit of recent history, and given the age of this team, why is anyone surprised at the premature panic?

Zorn's O-line got old in a hurry. Most of the same unproductive elements (OL & WR are the best examples) are still in place.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Sure Vick is the MVP of the league... for this week.

The great thing about the 2010 NFL season is that there is no true front-runner. The Falcons, Saints, Colts, Giants, Steelers, Pats (check the 34-14 beat-down they got from Cleveland 10 days ago) are all above-average teams, but not "great."

Prediction: The G-Men beat the holy stuffing out of Vick on Sunday, and Kolb ends up finishing the game. Book it.

Somwhere in heaven, Pete "Parity" Rozelle is smiling.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

build thru the draft and then add the missing pieces thru FA's

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:38 AM

I think most would agree with this. The main issue on offense..the oline is really troubling. I can't see drafting two or three of them in this draft and expect them to start and be productive as a unit. Gotta get FAs on the Oline that are young with talent...not going to be easy or cheap.

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

rsh, good points all good points...the defensive game plan especially....ugh...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Was anyone else furious that Orakpo didn't get the call when he was held on the first play of the game?

Sure we probably would have lost anyway, but when the first play of the game is a 90 yard TD, it kind of sets a tone.

It was a blatant hold right in front of the ref and Vick. Don't know how it was missed.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

You think the players would support Donovan if he was giving 1/2 effort?

Posted by: smooth700 | November 16, 2010 10:36 AM

FYI smooth700, hess has a penchant for asserting tidbits of info about the Skins that he claims are facts or reports.

hess is right about the trash talking though.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

There are 3 major components to being an effective center.

1. Make the right pre-snap adjustments to protection
2. Snap the ball correctly
3. Don't get run over by the defensive line.

Casey Rabach says "2 out of 3 ain't bad!"

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I only HOPE the players are as embarrassed as I am today.

Sad that I hung on as long as I did last night...trying to convince my daughter that we could chip away at the lead and come back.

I wonder if the game would have played out any differently if the skins recovered the fumble on the kickoff after the 2nd TD.

Oh well...can't stand even being on here right now.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 16, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse
_________

I am beginning to think that they don't have a choice but to use all of whatever high draft picks they have this offseason on OLine prospects. It never seems like free agent OLineman work out very well. Shanny and Allen just can't let things continue like this. A football team just can't do anything without a quality OLine, and ours is realistically 3 or maybe 4 starters away. As horrible as they've been, I really don't think drafting some stud WR or RB would matter very much in the near term. I think they really, really need to fix the OLine first. And what about the defense? I assume statistically they are probably last in the league in all major categories after last night's debacle. I have to say, I thought there would be a slight regression b/c of the switch to 3-4, but really didn't see this train wreck coming. I'm not sure any of the D linemen save are worth keeping, including AH in the 3-4, and our LBs, aside from Orakpo and Fletcher, are just wholly inadequate. This is looking like at least a 3 year rebuilding project to me.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Easy to throw insults around and stroke your e-junk. Do you actually have to anything to say about what is going on? Anything?

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

just so that you know the truth about the contract and how smart the redskins front office may actually be (considering the jury is still out on McNabb) . . .

ESPN

On Monday, Donovan McNabb and Washington reached agreement on a five-year contract. On Tuesday, the deal's details became public, through a source at the NFL Players Association.

McNabb's five-year extension is worth $70 million and can get to $78.5 million if he is on the active roster for every game in those five seasons. The deal's maximum value is $88.5 million if McNabb leads his team to a Super Bowl victory every year.

But the real question is how much he'll actually earn and whether it will be in Washington.

One of the contract's most significant points is a payment due this offseason, when the Redskins must decide whether or not to pay McNabb a $10 million option bonus. If they do, it would trigger the rest of the contract and make Washington liable for McNabb's $2.5 million base salary in 2011.

So in essence, the Redskins paid McNabb $3.75 million in 2010 for the right to pay him $12.5 million in 2011 and control his rights. If the Redskins cut him after this season or trade him, they are only on the hook for the $3.75 million.

Boiled down, the deal's real guarantee is $3.5 million, though if McNabb suffered a catastrophic injury this season and never played again, he would receive $25 more million.

Here is how the rest of the full deal breaks down, according to an NFLPA source:

• 2010: $3.5 million signing bonus/$250,000 if active eight games

• 2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2013: $13 million salary/$1.5 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2014: $13.75 million salary/$3 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2015: $13.55 million salary/$2.25 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | November 16, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

the equipment guy must wonder why the grass stains on Rabach's jersey are on the back of it, instead of the front....

pa, I hope shanny/shanny/haslett are embarrassed...I hope they're humiliated...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

so . . . 3.5 mil to secure his rights and make our decision at the end of the season and not worry about it anymore this season . . . not so bad, huh!

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | November 16, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I only HOPE the players are as embarrassed as I am today.

Oh well...can't stand even being on here right now.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 16, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse
______

I had to record the beginning of the game last night as I ws going to be last, so I get home without knowing anything and plan on starting from the beginning when my 8 year old son, who had randomly pulled my old #56 Arrington jersey out of my closet and was wearing it (yes, I still have it), informs me that it's already 28-0. Wow. What a way to ruin my night. But I actually hung on to the bitter end. I'm not embarassed and will always be a fan; I just wish that sometime, some year, we will actually field a consistently competent and competitive team.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Although the Skins can get some O-line help through FA, good centers are usually hard to come by via FA.

The Skins should think about drafting Tim Barnes out of Missouri to replace Rabach.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

so, the redskins . . . being the freakin' redskins . . . will probably go after vick and offer him like $20 mil per year for 5 years giving him a $100 mil contract offer. if they get him (or some other flashy free agent or flashy qb draft pick) then they cut mcnabb for $3.5 mil.

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | November 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Dude, come on now. All you are doing is making things up in the aftermath of a horrible loss.

This team is horribly flawed and Snyder brought Shanahan to fix it. He will, but it will take 2-3 years. Everybody knows that that has anything on the ball or understands pro sports.

There is no chance that Snyder knee-capped Shanahan like you say.

You're calling people naive? Wow.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

pepper, if you think Snyder signed mcnabb behind Shanny/Allen's back, because of the benching, which was the subject which I was speaking in regard to, then you are the more stupid that the person who suggest the above...who signs onto the computer for you, because there is categorically zero chance you can do that yourself...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

pa, I hope shanny/shanny/haslett are embarrassed...I hope they're humiliated...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 11:05 AM

Yeah...sorry should have said team...can't think straight today.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 11:10 AM

I think the Skins starting center next year is on the team already. He's playing LG

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

There is no doubt in my mind as to how good of a contract writer Bruce Allen is. Vinny Cerato would have never been able to give that much wiggle room in Mc5's deal. I can bet we get a young QB this upcoming offseason. And if Mc5 isn't balling early next year, he's gone. I can assure you, some talent will be in place for the guy to succed.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Seems that anybody playing on the Eagles side of the ball could've qualified for league MVP last night.

It's wasn't so much the strength of their play -- as it was the lack of any viable opposition from the Redskins.

Would be curious to know if the Redskins actually had a game plan -- on either side of the ball -- or were they just hoping to stay close, knock a few Eagles out of the game, and not embarrass themselves too badly.

If so, it looks like they failed there too!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM

After last night, a lot of what used to be is coming back to me.

Remember when the Skins used to have a defensive line? Remember when Orakpo and Carter used to be able to get into the backfield? Remember when the Skins used to sign guys who were already past-prime to massive multi-year contracts? With guaranteed money?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. [I think that is a famous quote b/c its in French in some Rush tune from remember when.]

Posted by: dcsween | November 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If so, it looks like they failed there too!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse
_________

I disagree with this. How many plays were there where Vick felt some pressure and calmly either rolled out to his left or stepped up, then made an accurate, laser throw for a completion? I'm not sure I remember a single throw that was in the dirt or way off target. I think Vick was in large part responsible for last night's debacle.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 16, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

There is no chance that Snyder knee-capped Shanahan like you say.

You're calling people naive? Wow.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 16, 2010 11:11 AM

Trust me, I hope I am wrong, but I fear not. I was hoping that Snyder was learning ala Steinbrenner. But I doubt it.

If you think for a second that Snyder gives a rats azz about the well being of players on his team, beyond their ability to perform on the field, then you are naive as well. Do you really think Snyder would have suddenly had this epiphany about extending McNabb NOW had Shanny not benched DMac, with the resulting storm in the press? Snyder's move was a PR move, plain and simple. Snyder obviously reacts to the fan base - remember the banned signs last year? Snyder does NOT want to alienate a huge swath of his fan base, so suddenly the urgency to get an eye-brow raising deal made.

Wake up. His motivations are money and his own huge ego. And in reaching out the hand of god, he just let Shanny know that despite Shanny's title, Snyder is gonna do what Snyder wants to do - good or bad.

This is NOT about whether Shanny, DMac or anyone else is good or bad for the team - this is about Snyder still being Snyder.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

What an awful game, mindnumbing watching that game...arent two of the Eagles starting dline cast offs from the Skins? We are awful at evaluating talent. People say the draft is a crap shoot, but look at the Eagles, they had how many draft picks last year - I think 14, they always reload it seems and Reid took us to school last night and it looks like our schedule just gets harder...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | November 16, 2010 11:20 AM

That was the game I watched. Renaldo Wynn once said that the wins aren't as good as they look and the losses aren't as bad as they look.

Last night, the defense really did look that bad. Tons of whiffed tackles. Our LBs just all looked slow. It was like no one cared. I'm not sure how the Skins offense was able to score 28 points.

Posted by: dcsween | November 16, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | November 16, 2010 11:20 AM

Landry did have that spitting plan.

Posted by: dcsween | November 16, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The worst thing about it was how happy and friendly all the Philly fans were.

Posted by: dcsween | November 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

hess is right about the trash talking though.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 16, 2010 10:52 AM |

don't we all get our tidbits from the same sources ? I mean, I get the same news as you do. it was reported that mcnabb has lazy practice habits.

I think mcnabb looks passive when he's out on the field and lacks the fire that brady and manning does, yes.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

roccoskins

providing we have a season next year! perhaps that is what the redskins need . . . a year of no footbal so that every team comes back rusty with a bunch of new players on the roster. and, we would avoid a year of agony in 2011 watching this circus. oh well . . . here's hoping i guess :-)

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | November 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Too many misinformed fans...

IF Vinny Cerrato was still here, McNabb would have still had 95% of the same contract.

Bruce Allen didn't negetiate the deal...Eric Shaffer did....he has been with the team 10+ years and is the reason we always seem to spend more $$ than everyone else......

I like the deal and am surprised McNabb accepted it. I guess he did it since the Skins gave him a $25Mil payout if his carreer was ended due to injury.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

We had two weeks to game plan and delivered this, pretty bad. I think it still points to the fact that we do not have the talent to play within the systems that are designed for this team.

The play that Vick had 8 F'n seconds to throw the TD, did you see AH just laying there on the ground, no effort, just laying. I am sure Shanny will have a fit over that and he will be benched. Dude is right, he is not good enough to play the Nose in a 3-4 scheme, non of who we have is.

Rabach must go, horrible, Lichtenballs is not good in my mind, but I dont coach. I am still shocked that Dockery is being left out consistently when Lichtenballs is getting blown up.

Did we get rid of the UMD product at center we drafted a little while ago?

Hail

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Bean if you read what I wrote you'd see that I thought it made sense that Snyder had pushed Shanny and Allen to get McNabb's contract done during the bye, i.e., after the Detroit fiasco. It would be great if you'd explain yourself when you reply to that such as "you can't make this stuff up."

Although I think my analysis of Snyder is 100% correct; I'm eager hear different views. Now if the McNabb contract extension details are true it sounds pretty good. Reasonably cost-effective for next year. Granted the timing is weird but the deal seems fair. If Snyder pushed Allen and Shanny to get it done, he got one right for a change.

But Snyder's still a self-important football idiot in my book and it will take years of low-profile, smart decisions to change my view. Key concepts: low profile, smart.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm not suprised. It's everything McNabb could hope for. It has a ton of money and a way out.

Now he can go somewhere else and we can be compensated.

Hopefully we can score a draft pick or 2 from Arizona for him in the offseason.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The missed tackles on D stick out more than anything. I think 2 of McNabbs INT's were tipped, right.

Kareem Moore seems to be always out of position and whiffing on tackles.

I did love the hits by Landry and the one that Lorenzo laid down on Special Teams. The one he missed on Vick for the TD was pretty bad and he looked dejected after he missed it.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how I can live without football. Next to God, My Family, and work/school, its football/the Redskins. A year without football would be horrible.......im about to cry. Its been a bad 24 hrs.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully we can score a draft pick or 2 from Arizona for him in the offseason.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

What could he fetch at this point? A 4th rounder? 5th rounder?

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Follow the leader to the new thread. "Portis 50-50 for Tennessee" (but 'Skins lose in overtime).

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 10:43 AM

And you are naive, my friend.

Posted by: skinpig
-------------------------

Calling others "naive" is a way of saying you know more than the other guy, when really you're just another fool trying to inject race into the equation. Snyder has been an equal opportunity idiot who has thrown money at plenty of overrated white AND black players.

And Redskins revenue is not so dependent on "wealthy black Washington."

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And Redskins revenue is not so dependent on "wealthy black Washington."

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 16, 2010 11:42 AM

sorry you missed my point, buster

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
Well you don't London, so just say the guy is the MVP.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | November 16, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
11/16/10 1:13 AM EST
1. Wow » You can’t overreact to one game, good or bad. But this should end all talk of being a playoff contender. The Redskins simply have a long ways to go to consistently win games, especially against better teams like the Eagles. They need more playmakers on offense, for starters. But they also need to build a defense that doesn’t have to alternate strategies to generate pressure or stop the run. They have good parts on this defense; but they are hurt because they don’t get enough pressure out of the front seven in the 3-4 base. Makes it tough. And the lack of legitimate playmakers on offense is glaring when watching the Eagles and even the Giants. Yes, teams have bad games. New York had one Sunday. The defense will play better, but is the team improving overall? Hard to say that tonight. Also, I dismiss the 28 points by the offense; they did zippity do da when the game mattered.

2. The receivers got off the line too easily » In the first meeting, the Redskins made a big deal out of being physical with the Eagles’ wideouts. But they did not do a good job slowing them off the line tonight. DeAngelo Hall appeared to try, and fail, to jam DeSean Jackson and he easily sped past LaRon Landry on a post – as Landry was playing him to the outside. Jackson did a good job avoiding attempted jams by linebackers; first by lining up off the line and then by running away from the defender. Noticed more guys in the slot or off the ball. Either that or I just don’t remember how many times they did that in the first meeting. Still, it was different and it did matter.

3. The Eagles also did a nice job of getting the Redskins defense to over-commit to one side of the field, then hitting them back the other way » It opened up the reverse to Jeremy Maclin for 11 yards. It’s why Michael Vick could roll left, then run back right as nobody stayed home – and he gained 21 yards. And, except for a few plays, they could not generate pressure on Vick with only four rushers. A couple times the rush got upfield almost too far and opened up running lanes for Vick. What a problem he poses for defensive coaches. You absolutely have to roll with him, but it leaves you vulnerable on the backside. On the first play of the game he rolled to his left and Landry thought he was safe on the backside vs. Jackson. Then Jackson sped up and Landry was cooked. Landry admitted his mistake, but you have to know that, with Vick’s arm, you are never safe. Then the Eagles spread the field and run a shovel pass against a nickel defense for a touchdown.

con't.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 16, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Kiem con't.
4. The Eagles look efficient; the Redskins do not » Philadelphia operates like a team that’s been in one offense for quite a while. Which, of course, the Eagles have been. They have more explosive talent, no doubt and that makes the Redskins defend the entire field. But the Eagles were smooth tonight; they ran whatever they wanted and when they wanted. They were crisp. The Redskins, when the game still mattered, looked like a team still trying to find itself in a new system. There are few times when they look crisp; they hit on big plays, but they are not driving with efficiency at this point. When the Redskins needed to move the ball – during the first quarter; after it was 35-14 – they could not. Again, it goes back to talent and this being the first year of a new system. It’s a bad combo and will take another year or two to correct. Where will Donovan McNabb be then? Will he still be an effective player? It's not all on him, but ...

5. The Redskins failed to respond as a team » They had two weeks to prepare for this game; endured controversy after a loss to Detroit and talked about regrouping for the second half. And this is what they do? It’s why several players, Hall in particular, wore ticked-off looks in the locker room. Hall appeared like he was going to explode. There was a numbed look to many players. But this was an all-around effort, from the head coach on down. By the way, why only two running backs active? When Ryan Torain was hurt – in pre-game – that left Keiland Williams as the lone back. He played hard, but that was a risky move. A guy has a hamstring issue, is fine for a couple days and you only keep two running backs active? Man. Defensively they could never solve what the Eagles were doing, though a lot of it just seemed to be about talent, specifically Vick’s talent. And McNabb, despite throwing for 295 yards, failed to quiet anyone with his game. When it mattered, he missed on key third down throws – throwing too hard and skipping a pass off Santana Moss’ hands for an interception. He threw high to Chris Cooley on the next series on a third down. And his passing is a major reason why the Redskins have converted only four of the last 37 third downs; they were 0 for 10 in this game. Yikes. That comes back to the quarterback. For that, $40 million guaranteed.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Five-Thoughts-Eagles-59-Redskins-28-108336219.html#ixzz15SvxnIzo

Posted by: frediefritz | November 16, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I look at it this way:

They have their QB now.
They have 3 solid running backs.
They have a good slot receiver in Moss.
A good #3 Receiver in Armstrong.
They have a good Tight end.
A Good left tackle.

They NEED a #1 Receiver, and a couple of offensive lineman, and a good dose of HEALTH; and the Offense will be okay.

Posted by: martinthezman | November 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You bet he does!!!!
What's better than a dog murdering THUG being the MVP of the league?
Wow, sure would want my kids idolizing that scum sucking bottom feeder!
Really makes you wonder if God really is DEAD!

Posted by: burro2 | November 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Could someone please explain to me why Stephen Heyer continues to recieve playing time at right tackle despite his obvious dearth of talent? Surely we can find someone more skillful than this to back up the chronically injured Jamal Brown. I mean if we're willing to start an undrafted free agent at running back, and a wide reciever from the previously unheard of Intense Football League, it seems like the coaches could similarly dig up a mediocre right tackle from some obscure corner of the universe.

Posted by: lipchakjh | November 17, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse