Fletcher, Griffin on Williams' Return

Gregg Williams, the Redskins' former assistant head coach--defense, returns to FedEx Field on Thursday night as Jacksonville's top defensive coach.

Williams still has strong ties to many Redskins players, who will be pleased catch up with him before the game. After kickoff, however, it will be all business, the Redskins said.

"It's part of the league," said middle linebacker London Fletcher, who also played under Williams when Williams was the head coach in Buffalo. "You play in the league long enough, you're going to go against some of the coaches that you played for. This Thursday will be just another example of that."

Williams is considered among the league's most aggressive defensive coaches, and the Redskins expect him to blitz often tomorrow. "Gregg is going to blitz us because that's what he does," defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin said. "Even though it's preseason, you know Gregg is going to want to win. We want to win, too. We've just got to be ready for him."

Said Fletcher: "We'll want to show his blitz package and his pressure package. That's what he's known for and I think we know that."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 26, 2008; 3:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry Says He'll Start Sept. 4
Next: Kelly Ready to "See How It Works"

Comments

Goingg to be a fun ggame... or not...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ggo Skins gget those Jaguars...

Posted by: Skinz | August 26, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Those glorious flapjacks will be making an appearance at FedEx once again!!

Posted by: Trailblazer302 | August 26, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I see Baxter. He's GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinkingg that anytime between now and ggame time, i'm ggoingg to post with double gggg's instead of singgle gg's

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait

I see blue. He looks GLORIOUS@!!!

Funny how that made sense in my brizain...

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Also, thanks a lot for mentioning that loss. That was the most bitter loss I can remember as a Redskins fan. Left me with a sour taste in my mouth and felt like I got punched in the stomach.

Worst sight was seeing CP and Santana on the bench after the game. Painful for a fan, but I could only imagine how bad it was for them!

God I hated that game! HATE HATE HATED THAT GAME

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:18 PM

Reported to let you know my anger!

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to rip open old wounds, Truth. But whenever I hear someone say Collins should be starting, all I can think of is that game. I now hate SEA (and TB) like they're in the NFC East...

Posted by: [cc] | August 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who gets more help from this game? Williams knows many of these D guys better than anyone, but we have 11+ guys on the roster that know his old playbook.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Well the game Thursday should tell us if the Offensive line play was an aomaly or should be of serious consern...

GG will bring it I just hope Campbell can stay upright...

Perhaps I shouldnt be too concerned though we have the best backup in the leaugue

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 26, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

typo

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 26, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Alex. The gguys that gget help from this ggame are the gguys that don't gget hurt.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We don't worry bout typos round here.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Wait, what's the weatherman calling for?

Posted by: Pac Man | August 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I make it rain, I make it OH, I make it rain on dem, I make it rain on dem, I make it rain ond em.

Posted by: Pac Man | August 26, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I keep reading about how important it is to get Jason Taylor back for the opener. From a morale, leadership and pass rush point of view, of course.. But have any reporters other than this guy actually broken down film of Taylor’s performance Thursday?

If this is accurate, he wa pretty bad BEFORE he got hurt. So Sept 4th, having the bigger Demetric Evans anchoring the line might even be better, especially if Taylor's foot issues and knee injury mean he'll be treated like some sort of rag doll.

From NFLDraftDog.com

“I rewatched the carnage, focusing on Taylor's play before his injury. He mostly played right DE but two-stepped over to the left side shortly before getting hurt. Panther Tackles Jordan Gross and Jeff Otah handled him one on one. No double teams. Occasionally the TE blocked him.

"My analysis? More bad news. No sacks, no tackles no pressures, no positive impact. He was owned until he was injured. On running plays he was frequently driven down the line out of the play and into the "wash". Often, he took himself out of the picture with a wide rush. A number of successful runs hit inside the resulting gap. On the play where he was hurt, he was driven into the pile and got caught up in it. Freak injury, yes, but as a result of ineffective play on his part."

Posted by: Redskins former 2nd & 6th round picks | August 26, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, more random SI postings, this time on Utah's college football team :

"Got gas? Choosing to eschew the likes of Gatorade and other energy drinks for hydration, the Utes' training staff has had its players sipping chocolate milk through straws this summer instead of downing traditional recovery drinks. A 2006 study (partially funded by the dairy association) used nine endurance cyclists as its guinea pigs and concluded chocolate milk to be as good as name-brand beverages. So far, reviews from the Utes have been mixed. "I don't know if it works, but it's at least refreshing," defensive end Paul Kruger told the Salt Lake Tribune. Safety Robert Johnson had a different view. "It messes up my stomach," Johnson said. "They say it's a good recovery, but I don't see it yet. It just gives me a lot of gas. I'm not a milk dude.""

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Simple Jack? Is that you?

-only those who saw tropic thunder will get it-

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

on the risk vs reward, the final preseason ggame is about as much risk for as little reward as any ggame these gguys play.

The only gguys this ggame is meaninggful to are the gguys that don't have a job locked up. Some may stay with the Skins, others like Verdan-Wheeler, its an audition for playingg elsewhere.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Williams D is a good test for our O, and it's why we want to play the starters. If they can handle Williams D, they can handle most D's out there. If they can't handle it, we need to know now so that we can, uh, do something. Pay them more to block harder? Make them stay late to practice more? Something. That's Zorn's job, not mine.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Once again, it's just preseason. I am 100% sure Taylor will perform when the real games start. No doubt in my mind he'll be a very good player for us all year and won't be nearly as ineffictive as he's been in the (completely unimportant) preseason.

Just ANOTHER thing yall all complain about on this blog. How many times do I have to say preseason means nothing? Get it through your skulls!

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

On another note, school started so I'm busy taking 15 graduate credits (most only take 9): molecular biology, biostatistics, toxicology, epidemiology, and environmental health science research methods. It shouldn't be too horrific though because I've had molecular biology and biostat before, EHS research methods I already know, and to some degree I know quite a bit about epi and tox (understand the concepts of both, but haven't been introduced to epi's special terminology).

Posted by: Karen | August 26, 2008 3:00 PM

This is all the proof I needed to know that Karen is a fake!

What year are you in? Grad School? Med school? What?

Posted by: 4th | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM

Posted by: 4th | August 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I haven't watched much Dolphins pre-season over the years, but Taylor in regular season mode is something to behold. I wouldn't let the performance of any starter not fighting for a job dismay you in pre-season. Injuries aside, that is.

3 games into the season if Taylor is still schlumping, I'll eat my hat.

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

4th == You nailed her. No one takes 15 credits during football season. What a phony.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

reciprocated nads

Posted by: nads guy | August 26, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I though Taylor was like portis, in that he phones in pre-season

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

4th == You nailed her.......

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM

Nailed her! you hardley know her!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll eat my hat.

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM

Man, that is so easy to claim on a blog. How are you going to prove it? I ate my hat yesterday. And the day before. Easy as pie.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Nailed her! you hardley know her!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:38 PM

4th is the man. We can all learn from him. Besides, Karen's so busy studying for 15 credits, she didn't even know what happened.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

... I haven't watched much Dolphins pre-season over the years, but Taylor in regular season mode is something to behold. ...

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM

Really would be nice to see him in post-season mode ...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

God I hated that game! HATE HATE HATED THAT GAME

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:18 PM

Reported to let you know my anger!

Posted by: The Truth | August 26, 2008 3:20 PM
----------------
What game? I read backwards and can't tell what you guys are talking about.

Posted by: JD | August 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Could someone please tell Avril Lavigne to get off my computer.

Grilliams is going to bring it. Hope the oline holds.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

...tried to find funny pix of people eating hats. none found [:-[

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

That game just highlights the one single truth in the NFL, line play is the Key. Their pressure brought Collins back down to earth. Any QB can llok great with good line play and horrible without.

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Karen | August 26, 2008 3:00 PM

This is all the proof I needed to know that Karen is a fake!

What year are you in? Grad School? Med school? What?

Posted by: 4th | August 26, 2008 3:33 PM

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM

Blog peeps, I did a chick named Karen: I knew Karen; Karen was a friend of mine. blog peeps, she's no Karen.

Posted by: Sen. Bentsen (c. age 24) | August 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Anon, in post season mode he wears a Tu-tu.

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't appreciate the hating going on (TE) on me posting articles on here that everyone else can't get to.

I heavily doubt Cindy would do anytime because of this. The AP just had a meeting wiht bloggers on proper copying/pasting etiquette of their stories.

They don't want us to what I have been doing. But, that's the AP. Let me know when scout.com comes a crying, then I'll stop posting.

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

SF, don't you have kids to teach now? and where in SF, being a Bay Area sort myself, are you?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Any QB can llok great with good line play and horrible without.

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 3:44 PM

One of the exceptions to the Zebra Axiom of Line Play: Heath Shuler.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Who is "Fletchers?" Some new guy? I hope he plays O-line. :)

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 26, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Nailed her! you hardley know her!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:38 PM

Isn't that a ggood thingg?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Dang it!

Cindy took down the article.

May the last you read from me then. No use of posting if it'll get taken down asap.......

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 26, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:40 PM
-------
And isn't that a bad thing?

Posted by: Legion | August 26, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

+++At 82, Frau Blucher is on Dancing with the Stars. She can follow in Jason Taylor's footsteps.
Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 2:21 PM+++

Frau Blucher listened to an hour of dirty jokes about her age and personal lubrication status, then went up to the Dais and merely KILLED at the Bob Saget Roast.

Jeffrey Ross and Gilbert Gotfried (the original Double GG) are no pikers at that craft, yet they were left in her wake. Norm MACDonald chose to some sort of Dada-esque isn’t it funny being determinedly unfunny bit, so he doesn’t count.

82 years and Cloris still has perfect timing. Wow.

I hope Ms. Leachman doesn't get Plantar Fasciitis dancing with the D-Listers,or, y'know, break a hip.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the team be the Jagguars?

Posted by: Cindy | August 26, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the team be in Los Angeles?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

!dohp! [@cyn]

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Apparently GG will be handing out cash bonuses for any guy that can push Campbell into the dirt

Posted by: Karen | August 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

of all the teams that we hear they want to move to LA, the Jaggs make sense. Lets face it would people in Jacksonville even notice?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ANON | August 26, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

sween,

I'm thinking that Casey Bramlett is not going to stick with the Chargers. Three pre-season games and the man still hasn't thrown a pass. Maybe they feel like they've got enough good film on him from NFL Europa.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

ANON old news bud

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 26, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Karen | August 26, 2008 3:53 PM

And thats coming out of his savings account for his augmentation.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

You mean, Los Anggeles.

Posted by: Cindy | August 26, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

3 games into the season if Taylor is still schlumping, I'll eat my hat.

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM

Hope you're right. But he was hurt while "shlumping." If you're gonna be out there, better give it full effort.

Isn't there a football cliche about "injuries occuring when you're not giving it full effort?" Looks like it caught up to him.

FORTUNATELY, he won't miss much time.Let's hope he returns as themonster he was in miami.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Karen | August 26, 2008 3:53 PM

Not so. These guys are professionals. They do it for the pleasure of it.

You're thinking of the DC Public Middle Schools where we're going to pay kids for showing up.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Keim;

Just sign up for the wetpaint RI wiki, completely unaffliated with WAPO, and post them to a page up there for all to read. Recycle each time. We will link it....

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 3:56 PM

Hey man they did it for us in Arlington when I went to school there. I probably made $1000 just showing up to class every day in HS.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Cork, seen Cloris in several roles and she's always been ggood. But Frau Blucher was an all-time classic. Any link to the Sagget roast?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

tru dat, cork!

though sometimes 'all-out' can nail u in pre-seas as well (CP)

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Does the wet paint have an aRIchives

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to second that Norm McDonald nod in the Saget roast. At first I was skeptical & then I couldn't stop laughing.

Bootz was already furious w/ me for oogling Dolphins cheerleaders, but I just couldn't stop laughing...

oy. 32 days, kiids. Then I'm Mr. Bootz. Or is she Mrs. Shuttle... hmmm.?

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Sinner man where you gonna run to? Sinner man, where you gonna run to? Where you gonna run to, all on that day?

Posted by: Nina Simone | August 26, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Nate has a man crush on Jason Campbell.

Nate likes his boys with brawn, not brains!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru doesn't like black QB's

Posted by: Mr.West | August 26, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or is "Redskins Unrestricted" totally useless? I never learn anything new from what is reported on there as Jason rambles on "uh, Clinton Portis is going to get the bulk of the carries and Ladell Betts will back him up." DUH! I think that mostly any redskins fan could do just as good a job commenting on different areas of the team. It should be called "Redskins Redundant Waste of Time"! I keep wondering if the next one will be better and I keep regretting losing the last 2 minutes of my life every time I do. Anyone feel the same?

Posted by: Teechur | August 26, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I assume that RU is a work in progress. I would like to see it become a 3-5 minute game recap type thing once we are in reg season w/JR,JLS, JSti

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Will Smith doesn't have to cuss in his raps to sell records.

Posted by: Eminem | August 26, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru gives Pole Dancing lessons out of his house Tuesday's & Thursday's from 7:30 to 9:30. Students of past say he really has a great feel for knowing how to work a pole.

Posted by: Virgil Mudd | August 26, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I just don't need to hear the same stuff that I hear JLa report.

Posted by: teechur | August 26, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

anyone need tickets for thursday night?

Posted by: connskins | August 26, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I am sure it will evolve to something better teechur, give them feedback and time and it will get better.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, Dik, do I have this right, you're getting hitched to a Cowboys fan two days before the Skins play the Cowboys?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Said Fletcher: "We'll want to show his blitz package and his pressure package.

If DoubleG insists on showing his package I'll take a pass on this game.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think at GG's point his package is known as the Jug o wine.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Forget the name thing Dik that is secondary. The question is will it be the Shuttle Lounge or the Bootz Lounge. I hate to be skeptical but I think I know the answer and it involves and name change...sorry buddy it happens to everyone, eventually, i'm told.

Posted by: Skinz | August 26, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru doesn't like black QB's

Posted by: Mr.West | August 26, 2008 4:10 PM

--=-==-=-=-=-

Sports Guru doesn't like black people.

Posted by: Kanye West | August 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 4:26 PM

Man, you're going to get screwed. Okay, that's a good thing. Until you really get screwed. Anyway, congratulations otherwise.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

anyone need tickets for thursday night?

Posted by: connskins | August 26, 2008 4:22 PM

===========
Vernon Fox, Matt Sinclair, Jason Goode, Babatunde Oshinowo and Dorian Smith.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:46 PM

AL - yes but I have lunch and stuff to get my RI fix.
I am in SF propah near GG Park but I teach in Silicon Valley.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

SF --

San Jose for me. Have friends that live near the panhandle. GGrove near Divisidero

couldn't help but notice the Bostonian spellingg of propah. how did you become a Skins fan?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

That is the plan:

Saturday the 27th - wedding
Sunday the 28th - Dallas fans (Bootz & fam) vs. Skins fans (Shuttle & fam)

Monday the 29th - count the bodies!

...bring it on!

______________________

We actually didn't plan it that way, but the fates conspired & it's kizmet.

Posted by: Dik | August 26, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

SF --

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

SF

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

SF

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Teechur | August 26, 2008 4:12 PM

I had the exact same feeling. But I regretted losing a few seconds. And only after reading your post.

Posted by: JZ | August 26, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

ggod bless that losable type

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Teechur | August 26, 2008 4:12 PM

Posted by: JZ | August 26, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

So Gregg's gonna show his package? Would that technically be considered a wardrobe malfunction?

Posted by: Bryan | August 26, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Still have some bile in my mouth about the Carolina game, but also a new thought ... well, maybe its not that new ... but the Skins game plan for the first couple few weeks should be to RUN THE BALL. The only good looking preseason games any team has played have been the ones with two feature backs (Williams/Stewart is too obvious, but both the Seattle and San Diego offenses last night only looked good because of their two backs).

I say let Clinton and Betts carry the team for a couple of weeks ... while Jason gets his zojo on ... and the O-line gets its crap together.

On a tangentially related note, in the first quarter, there was a play where Kendall pulled wide right and Portis grabbed his belt for the dogsled run he does with Sellers. It was sweet ... gained something like seven yards ... but why the hell would they expose Kendall's knees to something like that in the preseason?!?!

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Still have some bile in my mouth about the Carolina ggame, but also a new thought ... well, maybe its not that new ... but the Skins ggame plan for the first couple few weeks should be to RUN THE BALL. The only ggood looking preseason ggames any team has played have been the ones with two feature backs (Williams/Stewart is too obvious, but both the Seattle and San Diego offenses last night only looked ggood because of their two backs).

I say let Clinton and Betts carry the team for a couple of weeks ... while Jason ggets his Zojo on ... and the O-line ggets its crap together.

On a tanggentially related note, in the first quarter, there was a play where Kendall pulled wide right and Portis ggrabbed his belt for the doggsled run he does with Sellers. It was sweet ... ggained something like seven yards ... but why the hell would they expose Kendall's knees to somethingg like that in the preseason?!?!

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

LLoseabblle Ttyppe!

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Sween -

Basically you are saying study what Gibbs 1.0 went through in his 1st season.

He's in the NFC East now, buddy. Gibbs learned pretty quick (5 games?) that you do a little smash mouth before you can do that fancy passing.......

Posted by: 4th | August 26, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Team Dorf is locked and loaded. Prepare to be ankle-bited.

Posted by: Dorf | August 26, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I think I *finally* just had my first losable type! I know feel like a regular!

Just excited for the damn season to finally start. Going to try to get into the Texans now that I am here in Houston (which was easy to do when they played Dallas last weekend - for the first time I was in a bar with everyone rooting AGAINST Dallas, it was like being in DC...sign...)

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 26, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the "great" Malcom Kelly is slated to see some action thursday or is he going to be recording the game on the sidelines.I am more than a little dissapointed in his lack of conditioning and toughness,damn he's more brittle than a ming vase more and more this appears to be a wasted draft pick any thoughts on whether Brooks is going to make the squad if not then thats another wasted draft pick are you following my drift?

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | August 26, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It was nice to NOT read "First" as the first post in this post. Wow, did not think it would ever happen.

Greg Williams was a good coach and would have been good as the head guy here. With that said I do like Jim Zorn.

HTTR!

Posted by: Skip in VA | August 26, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

SF --

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:46 PM

I'm DC native born and bred. . . and that is inside the boundaries of the District of Columbia not some wanna be faker pretender from MD or VA.

I just used 'propah' cause it's fun? Or goofy? Or stupid? Well all of the above.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

DharmaAndGreg, from the SKins site:

-- WHO'S IN, WHO'S OUT

Malcolm Kelly could see his first preseason action on Thursday against Jacksonville.

"I thought Malcolm stepped up [in practice]," Jim Zorn said. "I could see a little burst in him."

It's uncertain if Byron Westbrook will be available. He has a right ankle sprain.

Jason Taylor (knee), Jon Jansen (foot) and Todd Wade (ankle) have been ruled out of Thursday's preseason game.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

SF --

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 4:46 PM

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Al etc.

Sorry for the delay, my horse was whinnying.

Comedy Central will probably rerun it oh 50-100 times in the next year,

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Al etc.

Sorry for the delay, my horse was whinnying.

Comedy Central will probably rerun it oh 50-100 times in the next year,

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Al etc.

Sorry for the delay, my horse was whinnying.

Comedy Central will probably rerun it oh 50-100 times in the next year,

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Also, for those of you keeping score (talent evaluator), I'm off the fantasy about Byron Westbrook as the answer on punt returns. I didn't know about the ankle sprain till right now, but he botched impermissibly against the Panthers.

Also, I am officially agnostic now on the punter competition ... as much as that pains me. [I really wish Brooks could tackle.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Good bejeeezy on a stick I just got Movable Typed and Too Many Comments Too Quicklyed and Comment Posted Confirmationed.
3 screens I'd never seen before. Thank the sweet lord for the Great Upgrade of 2008.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

May be about to happen again.. .

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

INFO:

I got THREE "Moveable Type"notices befoe the last post went thru. BUT, it wasn't lost,I just hit the left arrow thingy at the top of the page and my original unposted post was, er, there.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

May be about to happen again.. .

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Ugh sorry.

Memcache Memcache we're going down . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

They don't call him the best color man in the league for nothing folks!

Posted by: Harry Doyle | August 26, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the Trippple POST

In my defense, "Moveable Type" notice--I THOUGHT--meant it didn't go thru.

Guess the Post IT peeps are all in Denver

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I call them as I see them.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

SF -- I gguess I'm just a pretender from MD -- back in the day.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that confirmation screen is annoyingg

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Thouggh its better than that moveable type error screen, which is even more annoyingg

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell has below average intelligence.

Tuit, anyone who thinks Jason Campbell can play QB in the NFL has even less intelligence.

Idol worship is a scary thing. Especially, when your idol is a football moron.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

hey connskins i'm looking for tix for thursday...whatcha got?

Posted by: pat | August 26, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

DENVER (AP) -- The Denver Broncos released wide receiver Taylor Jacobs ....

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

The Broncos just cut Taylor Jacobs.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell has below average intelligence.

Idol worship is a scary thing. Especially, when your idol is a football moron.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 5:57 PM

Uhhhh GGuru ... Jason Campbell has played and is currently playingg QB in the NFL. Seems your comment has an inherent flaw. Which is really a comment on your intelliggence

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The Broncos just cut Taylor Jacobs.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 6:04 PM

Are there any trainingg camps he hasn't been cut from?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

It turns out Super Bowl XLII was Michael Strahan's final game after all.

The recently retired perennial Pro Bowler told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has decided to remain retired and has turned down the Giants' offer to lure him back to action.

Posted by: Beat reporter | August 26, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The Broncos just cut Taylor Jacobs.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2008 6:04 PM

It'll be interesting to see if Cliff Russell sticks. He's another former skin in Bronco camp.

Posted by: skinswest | August 26, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

CB Ricky Manning cut by bears and is an FA.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

CB Ricky Manning cut by bears and is an FA.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 5:36 PM

You mean faker pretender like the actual team that practices in VA and play in Maryland?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

6:33 was me

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Is this thing on?

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 26, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Is this thing on?

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 26, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

CB Ricky Manning cut by bears and is an FA.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:17 PM

Pass. The guy's a turd. Look him up.

"Sports Guru", I'm going to need you to contribute some actual Redskin related comments and not just lob verbal grenades at Jason Campbell. Did he f*ck your wife or something?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

1st confirmation notice I have gotten from Moveable Type. This may cut down on some troll posting. Perhaps not...

On a FB note, Casey Bramlet was cut by the Chargers today.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

On a FB note, Casey Bramlet was cut by the Chargers today.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 26, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:33 PM

I still am in denial about all this. I give them a pass.

The rest of youze guys nope. Rockville is in fact not the District of Columbia. Just like Ventura is in fact not Los Angeles. And San Mateo is in fact not San Francisco or New Rochelle is in fact not New York City.

I am a purist. Why? Well DC is so teeny tiny and so many people don't understand that there are many thousands of actual natives so I wear it with pride . . . although I did in fact move 3000 miles away. I love my swamp I just don't want to live there.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:33 PM

I still am in denial about all this. I give them a pass.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

McCants cut by the Ravens

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Vinny said on Redskins Nation that Kareem Moore and Chris Horton had made the team. No real shocker since they were both draft picks and have played well. When asked about Anthony Mix, Vinny replied that it is up to Mix. Said he has suffered from injuries this preseason but will have ample opportunity to play Thursday night. Does not sound too promising for Mix (at least to me).

Posted by: Lisa | August 26, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | August 26, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

++++Jason Campbell has below average intelligence.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 5:57 PM+++

Do you know Jason Campbell? Or is your comment just an assumption based on, gee, I don't know...what could it be????

I don't know you, so I would never claim you're a racist pig based on that comment alone.

So let’s analyze your claim, instead.

Nothing wrong with questions about Campbell’s future. I also have my doubts that Campbell is the answer. I worry about his apparent lack of a quick release and wild high tendencies. Of course the man you claim has below average intelligence has managed to absorb 7-8 different and complex systems in seven or eight years, ending up starting in most of them.

The guy he is playing ahead of, by contrast, has had to learn TWO systems in the past DOZEN years. It took him 11 years under one system to become a first rate starter. Yet Todd Collins has also shown confusion, hesitancy, and other problems related to learning Zorn’s new system. Yet, you don't refer to him as having below average intelligence.

Right now, Jason has yet to play a regular season game under the new system he is still learning. Last Thursday, Campbell looked bad while trying to perform the new system while flat on his back most of the time. Wow, how ignorant is THAT?

I wonder how many years it took Hasselbeck to learn the West Coast offense Zorn is installing? Did he get it down pat by the fourth game of his first preseason? I don't believe he did.

Then again, Campbell's inconsistency in throwing may also relate to the fact that his Coach has changed his throwing motion and stance when passing. Perhaps you could try walking and chewing gum a different way than you have all your life and let us know how it works out for you.

Today Coach Zorn stopped practice NOT because of Campbell's lack of intelligence but because "young players were in the wrong place." Perhaps some of the receivers aren't learning the new system as fast as we would all like? From all I’ve read, Zorn’s system is extremely complex—so that’s understandable.

But no, you went ahead and pointed out what you proclaim is Campbell's "below average intelligence." Not the new system. Not the new stance. Not the confused receivers. Not the horrible blocking.

I would guess that sort of assumption greatly simplifies your own, er, thought processes. But that would just be a guess. I don’t claim that as fact. I don’t know you personally any more than you know Campbell personally.

But the lack of perception related to football expressed in your last post is enough to make one wonder, just who is below average in intelligence in this matter. There's a nice expression that sums your assumption up pretty well: “People perceive in others that which they hate most about themselves.”

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

As has been pointed out previously, JC was a poor wunderlich performer, at least the 1st time he took it.

However, I believe that football intelligence is a different thing than IQ. It is the ability to quickly process visual information and make decisions. Having an less than perfect OL puts a greater premium on this skill

The good news is that we will know the answer by November - is JC our franchise QB or not. Until then, as has also been pointed out, I think that the jury is out - plenty of positive signs, but some weaknesses too.

Posted by: zornskins | August 26, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------
Actually, Hasselback was so bad his first year in Seattle that has was benched in favor of Trent Dilfer... TRENT DILFER!
So, yes, we should try to put things into perspective when judging JC this year.

Posted by: Matt | August 26, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zornskins | August 26, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------
Actually, Hasselback was so bad his first year in Seattle that he was benched in favor of Trent Dilfer... TRENT DILFER!
So, yes, we should put things into perspective when we judge JC's performance this year.

Posted by: Matt | August 26, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

pat at 6:01, I have connskins' email address -- if you want to ping him about the tix you can send me a note at nateinthepdx at gmail and I'll forward it on to him.

I think he has two tix to Thursday's game, no further info...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I think he has two tix to Thursday's game, no further info...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 7:42 PM

Amen!!! Well-said, Corky.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I think he has two tix to Thursday's game, no further info...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

For those who think Kelly and Thomas are the answers at WR, just remember another 2d round pick we made was Taylor Jacobs, cut aggain today by yet another team. He was a Spurrier gguy -- with the Spagghetti GGangg runningg the show.

2nd round picks are big question marks. Anquan Boldin isn't.

Thats your Q moment for today (unless GGregg shows up)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ahem... sorry... bewildering series of error messages caused me to re-post again and again... nothing to see here, folks... move along...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, they all count towards the Ultimatum...

getting a massive CONFIRMATION on screen is kind of fun, that's new, very affirming...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, they all count towards the Ultimatum...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The CONFIRMATION should have a counter to let you know just how many comments you've posted this time.

I have some fantasy f-ball stuff to post later, will hold off and see if Loseable Type settles down, I'm sure that stuff (like everything I write up here) would be like ten times more intolerable in duplicate, or triplicate, such as...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 26, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I've figured out something. Fact - we are getting numerous duplicate (many time it is in triplicate) statements. I just sent one, and I got a moveable type memo. I ignored it, and after several minutes my statement appeared on the blog. So either Cindy is trying to "triple up" on messages, or the system is screwed up. Either way, just ignore the moveable type error message, and you blog will appear.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

*** Fantasy Post ***

Can all the participants please try out the draft application to make sure there are no 'bugs' before this Saturday's draft please?

*** End of RI Fantasy Post ***

Posted by: Redcoat | August 26, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

*** Fantasy Post ***

*** End of RI Fantasy Post ***

Posted by: Redcoat | August 26, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

*** Fantasy Post ***

*** End of RI Fantasy Post ***

Posted by: Redcoat | August 26, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Jay Feely got beat out by Nick Novak. It has got to suck to be him right now!

Posted by: ga_skins_fan | August 26, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Why do you back a proven loser, rather than backing our QB of the future...Colt?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

is it toggle or toggggle?

Posted by: nola | August 26, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2008 8:10 PM

This must be Cindy's fault because the Post IT department is one of the most sophisticated outside the Pentagon. They've never screwed up anything before.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Now that Dano has bought up all the Redskins radio media and much of the TV, it all is a circle-jerk & "congratulations to us" exercise.

He couldn't stand the local media saying what an clueless oaf he is a GM (and owner), so he bought all the stations!

Now, if he could only buy up the local TV news on WRC, et al, he would have everyone saying that the emperor indeed has fine cloths!

I imagine Greg Williams will have a special gift for little Dano this Thur., in the form of another embarassing loss. Perhaps he'll also have a little something sent up to the imp of an owner's booth? Something like a flaming pile of dung???? would be appropriate, me thinks.

Posted by: BULLDOG | August 26, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell better come out throwing vs the NYGG. No Strahan, no Umenyouri. Thats a lot of pass rush missingg. If he is ggoing to have time, its vs the Jints.

You learn this offense by throwingg the football. Throw more, learn more. Throw 40-50 passes each ggame for the first couple weeks. Campbell already knows how to handoff. Nothingg to learn from that.

Don't try to run much. We don't have a bigg line and we all know that Portis doesn't run that well early on anyway.

So thats the scoop. Use the first couple ggames to learn the offense and hope to gget a W or two in the process.

"I'm not a coach or GGM, but on this blogg, I play one"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 26, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The reason why football is king is because nobody really knows what's gonna happen this season. We were 5-6 and made the playoffs. If you woulda told me the Skins made the playoffs after ST's murder and the Buffalo game, I wouldn't beleive it.

This team has a lot of questions, but who doesn't...

1) Giants...was last year a fluke?
2) Cowboys...Can they make a serious run with all that talent? (sorry bitc**s)
3) Is McNabb healthy?
4) Who's the sleeper team in the NFC
(I think it's the Cardinals and Skins)

This is why RI is great because we get to do this....

My predictions for the Skins:

1) The Run defense will be good, pass defense will suffer. (Rank between 10 and 15)

2) The O-line will come together; Campbell will progress some but will prove to be that elite QB this year.

3) Randy Thomas will be hurt by game 2 (Reinhart and Heyer will be starters by season's end)

4) The two tight end set will be our secret weapon this year. (Davis will have a solid Rookie Year)

5) We will see Mix or McMullen before Thomas or Kelly

6) Portis is in top 3 in NFL in multipurpose yards

7) Skins will split division games

8) Zorn will have a "Mora-Like" meltdown by week 8.

9) Andre Carter will have double digit sacks this year

10) Rookies who will have most impact
- Davis
- Reinhart
- Moore
11) Young breakout Players
- Landry
- Stephon Heyer

Bold Prediction- Skins will win in the Meadowlands (20-16)

And that's the gospel according to SICWIDIT

Posted by: sicwidit | August 26, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Gerbil | August 26, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

hello

Posted by: sicwidit | August 26, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: sic | August 26, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

+++Nate,

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 8:43 PM

Nate,

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 26, 2008 8:44 PM+++

POSTED TWICE BY SPORTS GURU

Of course the ultimate irony here is we have Ol' Double Post “Sports Guru” talking about the lack of intelligence of a football player, and he can't even figure out how the complexities of the Post's new blog post system. .

Dont' feel bad, SG, most of the Rocket Surgeons here can't figure it out either--including me.

And then there is the Genius who DESIGNED it. Now, instead of seeing our stuff posted, we get two/three mysterious messages, followed by an utterly unnecessary message that our post has been accepted and is up on the blog, and a link to get back to the blog. THIS is progress?

Honestly THIS IS HILARIOUS. We're all so smart about all this football stuff we're observing third hand, and we can't even figure out this stupid new Posting system.

Okay, dudes and dudettes, let's see how many times THIS gets posted.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 26, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Who do you all have, Brooks or Frost?

Posted by: Skins Fan In Da Ville | August 26, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Laron Landry:
I can go, I'm ready.
Doctor:
You haven't been able to go for 5 weeks but now you "know" you can go?
LL: Yes.
D: How do you know?
LL: I just do, now stop w/ the silly questions.

That's what I'm reading folks between the lines.
He is basing his readiness on hope.

One final thought: we need to be strong up the middle defensively.
DT's got ran all over last week.
LB London if healthy is good.
No #21, now no LL either?

Oh man, this doesn't look too good.

someone please tell me I am wrong and why.
Please?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 26, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

My predictions for the Skins:

5) We will see Mix or McMullen before Thomas or Kelly

6) Portis is in top 3 in NFL in multipurpose yards

7) Skins will split division games

8) Zorn will have a "Mora-Like" meltdown by week 8.

9) Andre Carter will have double digit sacks this year

10) Rookies who will have most impact
- Davis
- Reinhart
- Moore
11) Young breakout Players
- Landry
- Stephon Heyer

Bold Prediction- Skins will win in the Meadowlands (20-16)

And that's the gospel according to SICWIDIT

Posted by: sicwidit | August 26, 2008 9:01 PM

Hey Sic, I have to agree with you on a lot of your predictions:

1. Agree. The pass defense really depends on our offensive production. The better our O plays, the more catching up the opposition needs. Thus if we are successful, our passing D will be lower.

2. I presume you meant to say JC will NOT be that elite QB this year. If so, I agree. He will be solid if the O line gives him some protection, but he won't be in the top 5 QB's.

3.I agree that Heyer will be starting by year-end, but I don't think Reinhart is ready yet. He was doing too many 360's last week.

4. I agree totally.

5. Agree. I still think it will be Mix.

6. Top 3? At least top 6.

7. Agree.

8. I disagree. Zorn will have his moments, but I think he is well-grounded, and will do pretty well.

9. Agree.

10. I like Davis, Moore and Horton.

11. Agree.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Which happens first? Kareem Moore starts at FS moving Landry back to SS or Horton starts at SS moving Doughty to the bench...

Posted by: Skins Fan In Da Ville | August 26, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

someone please tell me I am wrong and why.
Please?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 26, 2008 9:34 PM

You might be right, but I think you're wrong to base so much pessimism (or optimism) on one pre-season games. You completely dismiss the previous three. I don't think they were as bad as they looked last week, nor as good as their record the previous three. But it was only one game.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

someone please tell me I am wrong and why.
Please?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 26, 2008 9:34 PM

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Who do you all have, Brooks or Frost?

Posted by: Skins Fan In Da Ville | August 26, 2008 9:27 PM

I have to go with Brooks. You don't spend a 6th round draft pick, then cut him unless he doesn't perform. Frosty has done well this preseason, but his record over the last 3-4 years has been mediocre. Too many shanks, and a lot of his punting average has come on poor punts that have gotten good bounces, or what I call YAB's. Wouldn't you like to see that stat in the punter's column... YAB's.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

YAB on this

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

YAB on this

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

And how are all of these IT upgrades improving the blog?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

And how are all of these IT upgrades improving the blog?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Who do you all have, Brooks or Frost?

Posted by: Skins Fan In Da Ville | August 26, 2008 9:27 PM

Brooks. Smith drafting him tells me he has no confidence in Frost. In-spite of his punting during the preseason Frost is who we think he is and will be cut.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 26, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

This is the workings of Barack America and Joe Biding My Time. I may have sounded like I support them, but actually don't. This is where all of the foreign policy efforts are being wasted.

Posted by: Hillary Clinton | August 26, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Amazing! I try typing football comments and they don't go through. But the first time I post a political statement (spoof) it goes through no problem.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe someone already mentioned it, but this MOVEABLE TYPE SUCKS!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I love my swamp I just don't want to live there.
Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 7:13 PM

SF, I don't love the swamp, and I don't wanna live there. But I am a true native, born at GWU hospital, many many beers ago.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 26, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I think I know what the problem is. You all remember that rumor you heard in school about flushing all of the toilets at the same time will cause the pipes to explode? Perhaps we are causing this disaster by trying to post all at the same time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Is there a connection between the multiple posts and the posts sometimes having the same word twice at the end of the first line and beginning of the second?

Next Next thing thing you you know, know, all all of of the the words words will will be be duplicated. duplicated.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no one told me that Stu Schweigert is a Jint! WTF?

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 26, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no one told me that Stu Schweigert is a Jint! WTF?

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 26, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

test me

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no one told me that Stu Schweigert is a Jint! WTF?

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 26, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Willie - Me too! GWU hosp woohoo! Of course it's gone now and they built some fancy pants replacement.

sic - I believe the Gints were absolutely a one year deal kinda like the Ravens of 2000. Part of that is wishful thinking but also their injuries and I just don't buy Eli as an awesome blossom.

If we can play relatively mistake free we shall indeed ink in a W on Sept 4th.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Man Mark Warner makes me proud.
Proud to be a from Virginia
Proud to be a Democrat
Proud to be an American
I was truly inspired.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 26, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Lordy help me I went out into the internets and perhaps the clusterfluck jamboree of movable type we're having is because they released Movable Type 4.2.1 - the memcache error version.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

vote for Dick Cheney

Posted by: toad & daggar | August 26, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha Gov of Montana is a riot. I bet there's a mustard stain on his shirt under that jacket.

I think Skins fans should wear funny hats to FedEx like the dorkfest at the DNC.

"That's it baby. Let's go win this election!" Gov of Montana - wow best line of this dullish convention.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The Olympics are provingg a tough act to follow.
(x3)

Posted by: SMACK | August 26, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

My random sleeper for the NFC is the Titans. No realy solid reason other than I really think Jeff Fisher is such a class act and coach.
If Vince Yong can keep it together and make some better decisions in the pocket then I think they be a sleeper hit.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

sfskin,

Did you mean AFC as the Titans continue to play in that conference.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 26, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

AFC AFC AFC not NFC durr

I've been cogitating on the NFC and I don't know if there is a sleeper team besides us.

I'd love if it were the Cardinals because I like the coaches there too and talk about a sorry team that deserves a break. It's time they had their Tampa Bay renaissance.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, SF, I just can't find it in my heart to pull for the Cardinals. They were in the NFC East before realignment and I remember too many battles with those guys to ever break down and cheer for them.

Unless... of course, they're playing the SJK Cowboys!!!!

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 26, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

The Fredskins are definitely the sleeper in the NFC.

Posted by: SMACK | August 26, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Proud to be a Democrat

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 26, 2008 10:34 PM

There's an oxymoron

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Entirely different interpretation of Sen. Clinton's speech from MSNBC to FOX. Umm, your agendas are showing.

Posted by: SMACK | August 26, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing to add - just want to join in on the Losable Type festival that seems to be happening tonight.

Posted by: CBT | August 26, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Now I understand the latest rev of Losable Type (LT). It manifests itself as a confirmation that my post has been accepted.

It feels good to be accepted into something.

Posted by: CBT | August 26, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

hairy nutz?

Posted by: | August 26, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

True I do have some bitter memories of crap losses to the Cards but I think they deserve a little. I mean I'm not running out and buying any red stuff or nuthin.

Of course their QB situation is a shabingus.

Everytime I get a confirmation my post has been posted I feel the need to make a speech thanking people.

Posted by: sfskin | August 26, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Somebody should have told Hillary that the Broncos changed their colors about 20 years ago.

Posted by: SMACK | August 27, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Add me to the list of born in DC'ers.

SF, those confirmation posts are annoyingg, but you're still welcome to make a speech.

As for the Cards, don't recall too many meaninggful losses to them. I felt sorry for Neal Lomax, their QB in the '80s. Twice a year he faces Reggggie White from Philly, twice a year he faces Randy White, twice a year he faces Lawrence Taylor. All 1st ballot HOF pass rushers.

Twice a year he faces the Redskins and at least there is no first ballot HOF pass rusher. But he has his top WR covered by Darrell GGreen, so he's ggot nowhere to throw it!!

fwiw, Neal Lomax retired at 29, needingg a hip replacement. Life for a QB in the NFC East. Bet the Cards were happy to leave.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 27, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the losses were never major or meaningful but just annoying. It was in the 90s before realignment. You kind of always counted the idea that at least we can beat the Cards and every now and then it would be a stink fest.

Neil Lomax - good point poor guy.

The coaching merry-go-round in Ariz is almost as bad as Oakland and yet for some reason when someone is hired in Ariz I don't feel sorry for them in quite the same way.

BTW the big hot debate on the Niners blog is about their QB situation - J.T. O'Sullivan, Alex Smith or Hill. Can you imagine that being your choices? Ugh

Posted by: sfskin | August 27, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

anybody seen cHriS laRrY tonite?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 27, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I had Confirmation at age 11. Once was enough.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

I used a circular saw for the first time ever this afternoon. Didn't cut off any fingers or nothin'!

(For the record, I'm pretty handy with power tools. This was just my first time with that particular tool.)

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, why does the title of this post say "Fletchers," plural?

Is Jasno doing that unsure-of-the-actual-spelling thing that some people do with the name of Michael Irvin (saying his last name as "Irvins" instead)?

The kid in me loves the frosted side, but the misspelled side drives the technical writer in me up the wall.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2008 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 27, 2008 12:52 AM

I don't know...O'Sullivan looks pretty good and Martz is known for making mediocre QBs into superstars (see Warner, Kurt and Bulger, Mark). Count on the Niners polishing that Alex Smith turd and sticking him on the trading block.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Also, why does the title of this post say "Fletchers," plural?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2008 2:48 AM

You've heard of "Rabachs," right? Well Fletchers are more or less the same. Actually, much less the same.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 27, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's blog is at it again: now he's detailing his adventure taking his wife to the Backstreet Boys concert. Street cred goes WAY down for that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's the NFC East Preview on NFL.com:

NFC East preview: Quarterbacks set the tone
By Ira Miller | Special to NFL.com

For much of the last quarter of the 20th century, the NFC East was the strongest division in the NFL; between the 1977 and 1995 seasons, NFC East teams won nine of 19 Super Bowls.

The division hit a fallow period after the departures of coaches Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson in the first half of the '90s, but has made a comeback the last couple of years. In 2007, all four teams finished 8-8 or better and the New York Giants became the NFC East's first Super Bowl winner in more than a decade and the first NFC wild-card team to win the title.

Last year, the four NFC East teams compiled a 28-12 record against non-division opponents. Division champion Dallas' only defeat outside the division came against New England.

Quarterbacks have brought the division back. The Cowboys and Giants have rising young stars Tony Romo, the NFC's top-rated passer last year, and Eli Manning, the Super Bowl MVP. The Redskins are developing Jason Campbell. And Donovan McNabb remains an effective leader in Philadelphia.

Historically, the division also has been known for its strong defenses, and it was the play of their defensive line that keyed the Giants' championship run. New York led the league with 53 sacks in the regular season and sacked Tom Brady five times in the Super Bowl.

Team on the rise
Washington. Joe Gibbs left a good team behind for his successor, Jim Zorn, and if Zorn can develop Campbell, the Redskins should have an explosive offense. There remain some questions about the defense, which was severely lacking in big plays –- sacks and interceptions -– a year ago, but Jason Taylor should still have a good year left in him provided his knee injury does not prove serious.

Team in transition
Philadelphia. After playing in four consecutive NFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl, the Eagles lost their way the last couple of years. One major reason, of course, was the fallout after their failed affair with Terrell Owens, and another has been McNabb's injury history and reduced effectiveness. In fact, over the last three years, the Eagles are only two games better with McNabb (17-16) than without him (7-8). But Philly has done a good job of addressing its deficiencies, and two new players -- Asante Samuel and DeSean Jackson -- plus the experience gained last year by young linebackers, may re-energize the Eagles.

Coach in the spotlight
Wade Phillips of Dallas. Phillips' easy-rider style works well with most players, but it surely will be tested with the high-profile players he now has and the pressure of being a conference favorite. Further, Phillips has a high-profile assistant, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who is a head coach in waiting and expected by many to take over after the season.

Star on the rise
Defensive end Justin Tuck, New York Giants. Tuck had 10 sacks last year, playing as a part-timer behind Michael Strahan. Now, Tuck, a player somewhat in the Strahan size mold, moves into the starting lineup and will have a chance to make a significant impact.

Impact rookie
Safety Kenny Phillips, New York Giants. The secondary was a problem last year but will be significantly better with Phillips in the lineup. The coaches have been gushing over Phillips, the No. 31 pick in the draft, and wondering how he could have slid that low. He's able to anticipate plays and close fast, covering a lot of ground.

Count on it
There will be an implosion at some point in Dallas because the high expectations will lead to high pressure on a team filled with combustible personalities. There already were reports of Terrell Owens saying he was not used properly in the playoff loss to the Giants.

Don't be surprised if ...
The offensive line proves to be a downfall for Philadelphia. The Eagles have addressed problems in other areas, and McNabb looks good again, but the Eagles have two old tackles, and the NFC East still has some tough speed rushers for them to combat.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Count on it

Best part of the story you better believe this will happen. Owens will implode this year because there is no way they are going 13-3 again. Once they loose a few games and Owens does not catch a touchdown season over.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 27, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

True talk, kmdp4. I've said all along that this team wins no more than 10 games. Tough schedule, everyone gunning for them, and they're long overdue for a T.O. meltdown. Plus Wade f-ing Phillips is their coach. Hope they like 3rd place...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 6:37 AM

Brownwood, You're taking Cooley's street cred down? I think you got it backwards. Backstreet Boys' street cred goes WAY up. Everyone on RI (except you and me) will be putting Backstreet Boys on their iPods.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 27, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Cooley lost street cred last year when he came out with those girlie shorts.

Posted by: jm220 | August 27, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Short-shorts are considered retro now. Backstreet Boys is not old enough to be retro yet.

TE, the Backstreet Boys street cred has nowhere to go BUT up. Unless of course you're a 23 year old girl.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 27, 2008 7:57 AM

Whoa, wait a minute...unless they turn into some good oldschool thrash they won't be anywhere near my iPod. Soeaking of... the new Metallica album sounds just like Ride The Lightning.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are going to start thier starters tomorrow night.

They really are that dumb. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 27, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are going to start thier starters tomorrow night.

They really are that dumb. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 27, 2008 8:24 AM

Only on offense though, they're only half that dumb.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are going to start thier starters tomorrow night.

They really are that dumb. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 27, 2008 8:24 AM

Ray,

How many teams are not going to start their starters tomorrow night?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 27, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Calm down, Ray. It's only the offense for 1 series, 2 max. I'd rather them fine-tune the offense and get it right for the Giants rather than play scared of getting guys hurt.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

We are going to play scared brown... if someone gets hurt, Zorn may lose this team quick...

Posted by: Zebra | August 27, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

scamp, saw Metallica back in 1988, before they were 'big-time'. I've heard one of the songs they released, sounds like a compilation of a number of previously released songs to me anyway...

Also, agreed with km, and brown, above on the cowboys. Add a dash of Pacman, who I don't think will be able to stay out of trouble, and it should read, "Caution:Flammable".

Posted by: Greg | August 27, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Keeps getting bad for Snyder; his boy Tom Cruise is getting sued:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 27, 2008 8:33 AM

Well Greg, all their songs sound like compilations of many different songs. That's always what Metallica was all about, 15 different riffs and 20 time changes. That's why they were and are so unique.

On the Cowboys thing. Add to that the very real possibility of Jessica dumping that tool Romo. Maybe we'll get to see him crying on the sidelines again.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Seriously; Cindy, JLC, whoever: I don't need no steenking confirmation that my post went through! I get confirmation everytime I refresh and scroll down! Is there any way this can be fixed?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 27, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

At some point Packman and TO will get into a fight, the question will be fist, knives or guns?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 27, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2008 8:38 AM

That's not fair...sniff...that's my QUARTERback...sniff

Posted by: Terrell Owens | August 27, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Dont underestimate the massive amounts of stip clubs in the Dallas area, ive heard on of their players seems to have a problem with them.

Posted by: Stu | August 27, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Chief Zee lost his tomahawk at the Bills game!!

We need to find it!!!

If he doesnt, I will donate my war club to him...

Posted by: Zebra | August 27, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I make it rain, I make it OHHHH, I make it rain on you, I make it rain on you, I make it rain on you!!

WEST SIDE

Posted by: Pac Man | August 27, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Zorn indicated the starters on offense will play one series only. The defensive starters will not be playing. While I prefer that he not play any of our starters to avoid injury, it is only ONE series.

Geez, Ray, you are always so negative about EVERYTHING.

Posted by: Lisa | August 27, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Beep BEep

Posted by: Zebra | August 27, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | August 27, 2008 8:59 AM

But, Lisa, what if it's a long series? One that leads to a touchdown? We would prefer that they fumble on the first play and get off the field!!! If they score a touchdown, at least three starters will be out for the season!!! We can't risk that!!! This team is not in shape to play against other teams' starters!!! Oh, panic!!! Zorn will lose the team if they don't fumble on the first play!!!

Posted by: Zebra and Ray | August 27, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Ray,

How about we do not play the starters the whole year, then we do not have to worry about injury at all. The big difference in the game Saturday night was the Panthers were playing to prepare for the season, and the Skins were playing not to get hurt. Steve Smith is there most important player, but did he wine about playing in a preseason game, no he played like a maniac diving for balls, and leaving one of are young CB's holding air.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 27, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Its still stupid you dont play your starters in 5 preseason games. They go out and score great they go out and have 2 staright 3 and outs then everyone is really gonna panic. Williams know as well as anyonethe weaknesses of our OL.

Posted by: Stu | August 27, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Five preseason games is way too many. I really think the NFL should shorten preseason and let teams go back to controlled scrimmages against whomever they want. The media covers preseason like it means something, the players hate it, and the fans (obviously) don't get it. I hate preseason.....

About the Campbell thing. Give the guy a break, this will be his third offense and he hasn't had the chance to learn any of them. IMO, it will take two if not three years to learn this offense properly. Will Snyder give Zorn/Campbell that much time/leadway? Will the fans? Will the press? I agree with the above post, run early and often. I think our offense needs healthy wide receivers and good blocking up front, then Campbell can excel. His slow decision making is lack of knowledge or trust in the system - give him time. I would like to see him hitting pass catchers in stride more often. I would like to say this is a make or break year for him, but really it shouldn't be - Snyder decided to bring in a totally new offense and its nothing like the one he just worked in.

And this is just my unprofessional opinion and observations. (just like everyone else's posted)

I love you guys, knowledgable or not.

Posted by: rando | August 27, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse