Fletcher's Stretch of Games Goes On

From Barry Svrluga

Linebacker London Fletcher entered the season with the eighth-longest streak of consecutive starts in the NFL. Sunday against New Orleans, he will start for the 121st consecutive time - a streak that has more resonance now that New England quarterback Tom Brady, who started his 128th game Sunday, is out for the season with a knee injury. Brady was just ahead of Fletcher on the list.

"I don't believe in luck," Fletcher said. "I believe in taking care of yourself to where, if you have some nicks and bruises and different injuries, that you make sure that you are aggressive and on top of your treatments. It's also, sometimes, guys just wanting to be out there on the field on Sundays. There are some guys who maybe have a little bit more intestinal fortitude than others."

Fletcher has played in all 161 games of his NFL career, which is now in its 11th season. The last time he didn't start - Nov. 5, 2000 -- was when he was with St. Louis.

"I went in the very next play, so that should be an asterisk, that particular game," Fletcher said.
...
Defensive tackle Kedric Golston bruised his knee in the loss to the Giants, which Jim Zorn mentioned last week. Today, he said Golston also "banged up" his right elbow. "I'll be all right," Golston said, and he practiced without limitations.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 8, 2008; 3:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buzbee's Long Road Back
Next: Springs Returns to Practice at "90 percent"

Comments

Crap

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: diehardskinsfan | September 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, is that kind of language necessary?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

First off, the Pats are the worst trade partner. If they gave up like a 5th rounder for Moss what do you think they'll give up for Collins? A ham sandwich with extra mustard?

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like Kedric Golston's injuries were not significant since he could play without limits. Although the fletcher thing makes you wonder if our "luck" will come to an end with that. We lose Fletcher, our defense is done.

Posted by: Karen | September 8, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone post all the Redskins zingers from Peter King this morning:

Quick hit thoughts of the week:

a. Here's how you know Jason Taylor was not fit Thursday night: The first time he touched a Giant with the ball was on the 30th play of the game, 22 minutes in, when he tackled Brandon Jacobs.

b. I'll just say this: If Jason Taylor was anywhere near healthy, he's going to have a bad season. Maybe very bad. I watched him through the binoculars on 30 or so snaps Thursday night. No burst whatsoever.

c. Another Example of King Idiocy Dept.: I picked Washington to be an NFC Wild Card. Rally time, Men of Zorn.

What I liked this week:

a. Clinton Portis is one heck of a blocker.

b. Does London Fletcher make every tackle?

What I didn't like this week:

b. Speaking of bad play-calling, Zorn took the cake Thursday night. Sheesh. No no-huddle or hurry up in the last six minutes AT ALL, down two scores? It's like he was in a hurry to see the McCain speech.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

FYI from SI's Don Banks

Here's the most puzzling of all aspects to Jason Campbell's struggling transition to the West Coast-style offense that Washington is implementing: The Redskins fourth-year quarterback found his team's leading receiver from 2007 -- tight end Chris Cooley -- just once for seven yards in Thursday night's season-opening loss to the Giants.

That's a trend that better not linger. I can't see Campbell having much success this season in Washington without Cooley being heavily, heavily involved.

Was there any more telling Week 1 picture than that shot of Redskins general manager Vinny Cerrato slumped and leaning way back in his seat in that Giants Stadium suite, a look of dazed disbelief in his always wide eyes? Washington was only trailing New York 13-0 at that point of the first half, but you could almost see the entire Redskins season flashing before Cerrato's eyes.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope Shawn Springs reads this.

Posted by: James | September 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I mean, I'm not the most superstitious guy in the world.........but sshshhshshshshhseeeeeez....talk about the mother of all jinxes, what exactly is the point of this post?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Brun James.... bbbbuuuuurrrrnnnnn

(watch out, Lisa is running up behind you with JM's hammer)... ( no not THAT hammer).

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Brun James.... bbbbuuuuurrrrnnnnn

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 3:37 PM

wow, way to mess that up 'Burn'

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Who art thou that doth tempt us so? A curse shall be smitten upon ye, fools!

Posted by: Injury Gods | September 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If you're Eric Mangini, and this Sunday you find yourself and your team winning by a large margin, do you run the score up??

I know I would. I'd grind that team into dust....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

You what struck me as funny.... i picked Zebra as my name because of the shtick and that you can search on a word or letter. So back in the day of posts ever nano second, I could search Z and find all responses to me.

Then came zeese, then zeke, then we hired Zorn and Z's are all over the place ...wtf!

Now Ztfrsdjhnf whatever those letter are is here. Luckily I gave up searching that way....

flag on me for rambling.

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I like to steal money and laugh about it on the sidelines. Sheeeit, they can pay me 8 mill to be the nickel.

Posted by: Shawn Springs | September 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Zeeze poztz about ztreakz are zhitty karma. Zoikz!

Posted by: Zeenonomous | September 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't ever post under Zeese though Zebra, blame others for calling me that.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Didn't someone say Jason Campbell couldn't play? Oh yeah, THAT WAS ME!

Eat humble pie Nate in the PDX!

I told you so about Jason Campbell!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey...am doing a spontaneous chat at 4:30 on brady....

Posted by: cindy | September 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,
u got a link yet?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What's the matter Nate? Crow got your tongue?

I told you so about Jason Campbell!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone post all the Redskins zingers from Peter King this morning:

Quick hit thoughts of the week:

What I liked this week:

a. Clinton Portis is one heck of a blocker.

b. Does London Fletcher make every tackle?

What I didn't like this week:

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 3:27 PM

Funny how notorious media haters like Peter King can, and do, pick on the Redskins for many, many, many things - yet I don't see anything about Jason Campbell being a poor quarterback.

You would think that would be his first point with how obvious some of you feel it is. Strange...

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I've seen better offensive performances at a retirement home ballet recital!!!

I told you so about Jason Campbell!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

A whole chat about Brady? I hope someone asks a couple of hamburger condiment questions to break up the monotony.

Horseradish.

Posted by: SMACK | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

beep beep.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I am the guru of all things Redskins. You lesser sports fans should have gotten behind this winner. Together we could have possibly caused a stir and had that sorry, no-account, miserable excuse for an NFL QB traded for some draft picks in April.

However, the front office would have blown those picks on over-rated reciever types and kickers.

I guess were screwed either way, but still...

I told you so about Jason Campbell!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Peter "Fat Arse" King is second only to Pete Prisco in being so anti-Skins his comments are incoherent.

While I'm on a tear, sports announcers and analysts everywhere need to stop frothing at the mouth over McNabb and Favre. They were up against 2 of the worst DEF in the league. Let's wait til they're tested before crowning them Co MVP.

Oh..and Flether rocks. So will Jason Taylor.

Posted by: Jenna | September 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I almost hate to say this because he is our best CB by a mile... but it bothers me that S. Springs missed a game we desperatly needed him in for a bruised shin. I know it sucks but I bruise doesn't keep you from playing... just painful. Then he was laughing on the sidelines when we were getting our ass kicked... HUMMMM? Wonder about the intestinal fortitude there.

** If Springs would have been out there the first quarter Manning to Buress warm up would have been negated... Giants didn't look that good... we looked that bad. Giants are the 3rd best team in the NFC east right now.... guess where that puts us ?

Posted by: cwprice | September 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Give the QB a chance he has been thrown all over like a rag doll we find it so easy to blame the QB for losses but protection was horrible WR's werent getting open yeh he held on to the ball too long but this is a fresh new offense.. All of you complaining about the QB and demanding his head are the same people that complain about the inconstiancy of the players and how we have different player every year pick one dont flip flop

Posted by: drk | September 8, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Last time Peter King said anything about Jason Campbell was after he saw him in camp. He said how great he looked and suggested he was on the verge of a breakout year. Guess we better hope he was right.

Posted by: FWSkinsFan | September 8, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I think the negative comments about Jason Campbell should be put on hold for awhile. Here's a young QB learning his 3rd offensive system in 4 years wherein each new coordinator is asking him to transition his technique based on a different guru's wants and needs. I only wished that Zorn had started the game with a different philosophy of something really simple, like a short pass to Cooley to help build his confidence. If you look at other facets of this game you would notice that the Giants were riding high on emotion from the events of that night that propelled them way beyond their ability and they have ability. It was extremely hard for Skins players to match that level of emotion at the beginning of the game. As the game progressed the defense played better and if some dropped possible interceptions were caught who knows how that may have impacted the outcome. JC could have played better, but Zorn could have realized that keeping it simple & short, KSS, has value. I hope they seek to use JC's strengths when calling plays this week against the Saints. I am not throwing in the towel because he is learning a new offense presented to him in February. Think about all of the 3rd & 4th year QBs that are implementing the same system year-in and year-out. Tony Romo sat on the bench for nearly 4 yrs., gets his op to play, implements his 4 years of training. JC has been given 6 montsh. Give me a break and give him one also.

Posted by: Leo | September 8, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse