One Young QB, Rodgers, Gets New Deal

As I wrote this morning, the time to start signing young quarterbacks to new deals is upon us. And, what do you know, one of them got an extension through 2014 today. How about that?

Green Bay and Chicago have been the most proactive in these matters to this point, and the Pack got an Aaron Rodgers deal done. Like Jason Campbell, Rodgers was facing potential free agency after the 2009 season. I would not be stunned if Kyle Orton gets a new deal in the coming months, while the Eli Manning and Philip Rivers negotiations will be for big bucks. To me, Jason Campbell is right up there with them, and this is going to be a very interesting offseason in that regard. The price, as I said a year ago, will only keep rising.

Have not seen all the numbers on the Rodgers deal yet, but we will certainly go over the details as they come in.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 31, 2008; 3:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moss Progresses, Is Game-Time Decision
Next: Clark Hopes to Do More Than Watch at FedEx

Comments

I, for one, would like to state publically that LaVar is the freaking man and I support him!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

sign JC NOW

Posted by: The_Doc | October 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"sign JC NOW

Posted by: The_Doc | October 31, 2008 3:25 PM "

dude

JC is Danny's GUY

ZERO chance JC isn't signed to a real good deal, it's really not an issue at all

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 31, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

SIGN JC NOW

Posted by: The_Doc | October 31, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm overwhelmed by Jason Campbell, the Quarterback. I'm way pro-re-signing him.

I'm underwhelmed by Jason Campbell, the GEICO spokesQB. I'm way pro-re-signing the GEICO cavemen. [I'm done with the British lizard too.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sign JC---- Dirty Thirty Landry and Carlos Rogers while they're both cheap to keep.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would we give JC big $$ when we've got Colt waiting behind him?

Posted by: p1funk | October 31, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

every week that goes by and the front office doesnt sign him JLC will bash them. even though JC will be a restricted free agent not an unrestriced free agent.

I am so tired of the caveman commercials, they stopped being funny like 8 years ago.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 31, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Jasno has his fingers on the pulse of the NFL.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 31, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, i guess we now know the next great drumbeating campaign jlc intends to wage.

Can't be long before the Redskins front office is making the biggest mistake ever by not signing LC to new deal yesterday.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 31, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

STOP THE PRESSES!!
STOP THE PRESSES!!

Now that I have you attention, JLaC FAILED to include KEY FACTS, SUCH AS:

The Greenbay Packers have not YET reach the salary floor for Cap Year 2009. They are 4 MILLION UNDER THE FLOOR, so THEY HAD TO USE UP THE CAP SPACE MONDAY OR BE IN VIOLATION OF THE SALARY CAP.

I REPEAT THEY WERE FORCED TO SPEND 4 MILLION THIS YEAR ON PLAYERS CONTRACTS OR BE IN VIOLATION OF THE CAP BY THIS MONDAY.

Now, back to your regalurly scheduled programming.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess Ted Thompson reads your blog, Jason.

Posted by: drischord | October 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

STOP THE PRESSES!!
STOP THE PRESSES!!

Now that I have you attention, JLaC FAILED to include KEY FACTS, SUCH AS:

Now, back to your regalurly scheduled programming.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 31, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Population of Alaska: 683,478
Population of Fairfax County, VA: 1,010,443

Posted by: MonkMossMann | October 31, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really think the Skins are gonna let Campbell get away??? Not a freaking chance!! They've been trying to get a franchise quarterback for years and now that they have one, they'll do whatever it takes to keep him.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | October 31, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse