Follow Up On Timeout-Gate

Johnny Grier, longtime NFL official who now works for the league in an off-field capacity, as an officiating supervisor, is usually in the pressbox for home games. I asked him if it was commonplace for NFL coaches to ask officials about an interpretation of a rule, and he said "it happens all the time."

Grier, an official for 23 years and one of the best ever, said that he was often asked by coaches if it was permissible for them to do certain things, or if there were penalties involved, and Grier said he always felt it was his duty to answer them accurately. "You want to make sure they know the rule," he said.

Coach Joe Gibbs said he asked an official if it was okay to call a second straight timeout in Sunday's loss, and Gibbs says he told it was in fact okay. Mike Pereira, head of NFL officials, said on HBO's "Inside the NFL" said that in the report he received from the officials in Sunday's game, that there was some question as to what precisely Gibbs asked the official.

As Gibbs said this week, in the end the onus is on him to have command of the rulebook. Grier said that if Gibbs had asked him the question that Joe says he asked the official Sunday - "If it was okay to call a timeout," at that time, he would have informed him that there was a 15-yard penalty involved.

Not sure that any of this means anything, but I grew up watching Johnny Grier call games and I respect his opinion and figured it was worth passing alone.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 6, 2007; 7:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inactives/Other Stuff
Next: Jason Looks Like He Might Be Okay (UPDATED)

Comments

Hey, gang. Who's blogging with us for the game?

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey, just logged in. Trying to get psyched for some smash mouth style football.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't have NFL network and live in ATL. So I'll be following the game on Yahoo game track. But details of the action would be nice!

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm here! Newly unemployed, with champagne on ice, and hoping Hester brain farts here...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

First time I have been on a computer during actual game.

What do you guys recommend - staying here or on the WP chat (Yaplet or whatever site).

Just don't say listening to 100.3

C

Posted by: cleary900 | December 6, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i'm bloggin w/ ya
-but i'm stuck at work
-so i'm here more for updates/entertainment factor
-but i'll try, for what its worth
-oh and i started chicago's defense this week . . . *ducks*
-pack4life

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Shazam with the squib kick, Hester rolls down to the 35 or so.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Stay here. The chat is for people who are really, really, really, really into the game. We're here to talk about Yoplait yogurt. And why they call him Sexy Rexy.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

This announcing team almost makes me long for Larry Michael...

Almost.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Bryant "It appears to be" Gumbel

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

'Skins D holds on third down. Wonder if they'll go no huddle on offense and air it out, or if they'll go grind-it-out conservative...

Hmmmm...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

What is with everyone sticking "gate" on anything that would appear "abnormal" or "slightly off?"

Did Chris Cooley's "scandal" become "Cheer Gate?

That would have been great!

Posted by: Dorf | December 6, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

You can bounce between this blog and yahoo sports game channel. That's what I do.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! Campbell hits ARE in the WORST spot. Right in the hands. ARE drops it.

Drops: 1

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Betts drops it.

Drops: 2

Gumbel mistakes Betts for Cooley.

Gumbelisms: 1

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I know he wanted to angle it out of bounds, but he angled it into the friggin stands.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, I'm all for prefixing scandals with "Water".

Looks like the 'Skins are spooked about Hester :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Man. Pitiful start. Bad kick off. Bad punt. Two dropped passes, one of which wouldn't have gotten a first down anyway. Are there any other games to watch tonight?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Gumbel was HORRID for the packer/cowboy game. HORRIBLE. DISGUSTING. GAAAHHHBAGE.

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, shoddy tackling on defense today.

The Bears have an Adrian Peterson, too?

Sexy Rexy looking not so sexy on that throw.

I've got to mute Gumbel.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Griffin is a beast!

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope Rex is okay. That looks like a serious one.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Grossman's season is done.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

How is he walking off after that? Superman.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

t-e, he's Sexy Rexy!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis behind Sellers and Thomas - gotta pound it now, it will pay dividends in the 4th quarter, and maybe we won't be so pathetic at the end of the game.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

You don't want to hurt Rex! You just want to scare the sjk outta him and then muss up his hair a little bit.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

yet, somehow, gumbel WAS better than the officiating of the packer game... but i digress...

any chance of any hester action at all tonight, or are the kicks goin outta bounds on the fly?

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

All the kicks are being angled. I still think if any team can fail to contain Hester, it'll be our beloved heroes in burgundy and gold.

The 'Skins offense looks horrendous, as usual.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Pitiful special teams play for the 'Skins. Pitiful offense for the 'Skins. And pitiful O for the Bears. Two teams going nowhere. Which will end up with the higher draft picks?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Guys with torn ACLs often walk off the field....I think Rexy won't be back, maybe for the rest of the season, given the way the knee went to the side and forward. Yoplait Peaches 'n' Cream yogurt tonight...

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

This game may put me to sleep shortly...Gumbel isn't helping matters.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Gumball is horrible.

It appears that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Posted by: clearycommerce | December 6, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm a little hurt that no one has inquired about the Killer Snowstorm that hit us yesterday. Welcome back, please, The Washington Post Snowcam.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, that's "Peaches 'N Dream".

:-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 08:39 PM

Thank you for that diagnosis and prognosis, Dr. Cindy. I have a cough. Can you write me a scip?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Was Robbie Gould on "Growing Pains"?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Did he just call him...Glodston

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Dr. Maske and I have an incredibly accurate record with diagnoses, thank you very much. You have two weeks to live, Talent.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

If we were playing doubles, that catch might still have been out.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, is the snowcam in an "undisclosed secret location" like Cheney?

Can we get the darn gnome back up there?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Gumball: "It appears that the Redskins blocked the kick as they are high fiving each other.

However perhaps this is because they saved 15% on Geico.

We'll get an answer after this commercial when someone can tell me the obvious."

Posted by: clearycommerce | December 6, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Throw to Portis...looks like it works better

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

What are you going to do in your last two weeks?

I have a friend whose dad was diagnosed with cancer and given only weeks to live. He decided that he was going to have a bucket of KFC chicken every day for every meal for every last day of his life.

I thought that was impressive.

Portis with the nice gain there...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

You have two weeks to live, Talent.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 08:43 PM

Is that because of the cough or is the Washington Post Goon Squad coming for me after I trashed the techies earlier today?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I hearted that little gnome. Sigh.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Hard to tell if it was blocked. It suddenly screwballed and stopped after 30 yards, but we'll update this story as the situation develops.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't look now, I see some offense

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

t-e, he's Sexy Rexy!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 08:32 PM

Not walking like that, he's not. His Dancing With the Stars Career is shot.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I just said that to scare you, Talent. You can trash us all you like! We can take it. ... the Snowcam is in the backyard of one of the guys who works at dotcom.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh, nope, no offense :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So Diddy, was that technically an assisted suicide? Some people beat cancer. Nobody beats KFC.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Gumball can't even tell the FG is short, even when the officials are waving "no."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Guess I spoke too soon.

And Gumball is a moron.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Gumbel: "It's good. No it's not. My bad."

Shoot me. Gumbel, this offense, and this special teams are killing me.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Classic. And this one is good, until it's not.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody watching the game please tell me how that kick was missed? Was it the weather?

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Smack, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Gotta say, though...I love KFC. We don't have Popeyes out there (we do have Ezell's though). I would eat Popeyes every day if I could...

I miss Roy Rogers the most, though.

Defense stepping up big here. They had their V-8 this morning, it appears.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, other than that little offensive outburst, this game is just ugly! Thankfully, we have dark chocolate peanut M&Ms.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

ga, it was just short...not enough leg. Maybe the ball is cold. Maybe Shazam is cold. Maybe the 'Skins just stink.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

ga--The kick was just short. Right on track, but too much arc. Hell, it even fooled Gryant Bumble it was so close.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Adam Archuleta sighting!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The kick looked like it was going to go wide left, then curved back toward the middle and we though it might be good....three yards short. It's just cold, there's no wind here.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Randall El has never done kick returns, just punts.

And GumBall called him "Anton" Randall El.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

When Adam Aren't Cha' Gonna Letem Score a TD tackles someone you know its getting bad!!

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I can keep watching this train wreck...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy and TE
Amidst all the small talk on here, I gather the game is extremely boring.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Some dope has run onto the field! Sadly, clothed.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Some idiot just ran onto the field and got tackle by the cops...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

STREAKER????

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey! ARE on the big gain on 3rd and long! First dooooown!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

A streaker wearing clothes.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

What was he wearing?

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, At least you're watching in a comfortable place. How'd you like to be sitting at FedEx? How much are they paying people to come there tonight, anyway?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

It's too cold for streaking. You don't want to come up short on your big night.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy and TE
THANKS for the details, I don't know why that didn't show up on my first post.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Kids today. They just don't streak like their parents did. They just sit around with their Xbox and their iPod and their MySpace. Back in my day, we stripped nekkid and ran proud and, uh, hard.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

A game this boring might be winnable! Or it might yield another heartbreakingly close loss! Come on, Diddy, ya gotta stay tuned!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Ga,

Hightlight for me has been watching replays of Rex's leg blowing up. Dr. Cindy says it's serious. That was my first impression, but I'm not a Dr. and I don't play one at the Washington Post.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Offense looking better, again, now.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

t-e, I don't understand why I keep renewing my seats. I just can't go all the way across the country anymore for these pitiful games and all those drunk fans.

God, I sound like an old fart.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

CP with the first dooooown. Great little scamper on the dump-off pass.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

so my decision to play chicago's D this week is lookin' good so far?

does the nfl network think their broadcasts are actually going to win them subscribers/allies in the cable wars?

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Sonny and Sam were talking on the last Bears possession that Gregg W has given up the two deep look.

I know why!
They don't feel any other safety can close that quickly on the run and nearly as effectively w/ the hammer of the Reaper.

Sadly, we see they must risk more which could make us vulnerable deep.

#21 is missed.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

1 Reason to attend the game tonight in this bone chilling cold = #21 featured on the ticket stub!!!

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll be here all night.

And, I've got some champagne to keep me company.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

God, I sound like an old fart.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 08:57 PM

Hey, you're getting a little close to home there. We refer to ourselves as mature farts. At least as bad as the game is I won't feel bad about falling asleep on the couch in 15 minutes. Can you send me a wake-up post?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Cooooooooooley!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Let's take out some more players - F them. We have had tons of injuries.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is looking good tonight.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, did Samuels just blow up that guy's knee on purpose?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Game not televised here; listening to Sonny and Sam.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Offense stalls. Blah blah blah blah...

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

oh man, that hurts.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Shazam with the miss.

Cindy, I need some motivation to keep watching this debacle. Any ideas?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER missed FG? IS this right?!

Posted by: ga8085 | December 6, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs! Here we come. Man...we look like a real playoff contender now! I bet the Vikings are watching nervously at home right now.

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Diddy--

Champagne gone already?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Um, I'm enjoying your commentary, Diddy? Is that enough?
What was that call on third down??? They weren't even close to the line of scrimmage. And this Suisham kick does go to the left. Could we be looking at a 0-0 overtime final?

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

First he can't kick kickoffs, now he can't kick field goals! So long shazam!

Posted by: ceevans | December 6, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh great at Tampa we can't get it in the end zone

last week we can't get it in end zone

This week FG kicker can't kick!
Good grief!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If Weird Al isn't fired next year, I don't know if there's any justice in the world.

The defense is really stepping up tonight.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

danny should give suisham a long-term contract with a big signing bonus . . . he kicks his guts out . . . proudly.

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Sam said Randy has reinjured his arm.

Anybody see this?
What does it look like?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Big hit by L2

Posted by: ceevans | December 6, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Still got plenty of bubbles...it's making me happy and warm. Mostly happy.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Sam says Gregg has LL back about 25 yards?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

i need a defensive/special teams touchdown in my life

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

at least the redskins are giving up the ball to the bears without punting it off to hester :)

man, that's really searching for a silver lining

Posted by: hailbg | December 6, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Um, I believe I have written repeatedly up here about the tendency to throw third down passes beyond the first down marker. Sounds like we keep doing that, eh?

Diddy, I suggested a few days back that Saunders would be the sacrificial lamb if Gibbs stays as head coach. After almost two seasons, with all the other factors going on (injuries, kid QB, poor execution), play calling has been consistently bad.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

How delayed is the online radio broadcast? Seems like you teevee watchers are a good bit ahead of us.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember a single time that St. Joe has ever fired a coach. He "reassigned" Chuck Banker from special teams back in the day and re-hired the late Wayne Sevier. I can't think of any others. Anyone?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Marcus can run. Wow.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

SMOOOOOOOOOOT! He has definitely improved his tackling since he has come into the league.

Posted by: ceevans | December 6, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

There may be a delay. We're in the third quarter, scores 13-7. Which quarter are you in?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Just saying that I can't imagine after four middling seasons that Snyder will be able to contain himself -- if Gibbs stays as HC, as I believe and hope he will -- from demanding that somebody pay for our offensive ineptitude. And that foot is me.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Dale Lindsey - LB Coach last year.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Diddy--He fired the linebackers coach last year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

t_e, I think this is still the pregame. Dick Enberg was just telling a story about the Olympics. Kind of hard to follow.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Campbell with the blazing speed!!!

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 6, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Collins!!!

Posted by: mrm0to | December 6, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Campbell down, Campbell down!

Posted by: ceevans | December 6, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

oh jeezy creezy, that better be a stinger

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

TE: that was pretty good.

Nate: it is a two play delay.
I am listening to Sonny and Sam while reading the plays as they occur on NFL.com

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Collins will save the season.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse--Campbell is injured!!!

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I despise Larry Michael. Just needed to be said.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Tom Collins is in, and he's delicious!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

What a season. Everybody gets injured.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

At least Todd Collins is well rested.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I know it's blasphemy, but having to listen to the game on Sirius last weekend, I'm not a big fan of Sonny and/or Sam anymore either. They sound like those two old guy Muppets up in the balcony.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I think Collins is ready for his close-up, Mr. DeMille!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

One thing about the kid: he's on the sideline with his helmet still on.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

That has to be the worst Coors Light campaign. Make you want to drink apple cider.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Time to open up the playbook. Collins knows it front to back. Time for the rest of us to find out what's on pages 699 and 700

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Does L2 always play the gunner position on teams? Or is that just for this week with Hester?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas may be out for the rest of the game Radio just said.

Anybody see what transpired?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I liked those guys. But that surprises no one.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Maynard punts to Hester - even my son caught that one

Posted by: mmok | December 6, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love Sonny and Sam, but Frank kind of held that ship together and kept things moving.

Larry Michael's bombastic, abrasive hucksterism and cheerleading just highlights how out of it Sonny and Sam are.

Riggo should be in that booth, if he can't be on teevee.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

God, I sound like an old fart.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 08:57 PM

Blasphemy? or ... The emperor has no clothes?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ray, there is a zero percent chance the NFL Network guys are going to actually tell us about any injuries. That would involve them doing their jobs.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago offense makes Doughty look good.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

*beep beep*

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 6, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I have clothes!

Cindy! I have something you MUST try. Starbucks Mud Pie ice cream. UNBELIEVABLY good! Mmmmmmm.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Maske and I don't think Campbell's injury is serious. He concurs that Grossman is done for the year (with three games left, fix it now; he's such a talent that he'd be healthy and ready to go next fall), that something in there is torn.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Jeezus, this is the battle of the scrubs!!! Reminds me of the Gnats-Skins game that ended in a tied because neither team could score in overtime (and Gus Frerotte had his famous head-butt-the-wall moment).

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

They havn't mentioned Randy at all on TV... didn't even mention he was in (though did have his name go across at the start).

Posted by: mrm0to | December 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

This game is like blueberry egg roll.

-Sum Ting Wong

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 6, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Noooooooo! This injury to JC looks serious. This is terrible.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

You doing this without an MRI?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

SKINS ARE CURSED!

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 6, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Season over for Campbell

Posted by: Soups1 | December 6, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

for anyone who cares, over at chicago tribune, on chicagosports.com, there's a guy named rahula strohl who does a pretty entertaining play by play blogstyle. fyi

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least he can't fumble the game away....

Posted by: Soups1 | December 6, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

brunnell is our savior!

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

How about they fire everyone in the off-season, change their name, and move to a new stadium. Or someone buy the damn team from Snyder. This team could not be any more cursed since JCK passed away.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 6, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say dislocated knee.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | December 6, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Sonny is still sharp; listen to his analysis.
Still sharp mentally, still knows the game, still perceptive.

Last week as soon as Skins called that 2nd timeout Sonny said "you can't do that"

Sam, on the other hand is simply silly, can't analyze anything, and is starting to sound senile in my opinion.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 6, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm gong to say Season Over and probably next season too!

Posted by: AnotherPortis1yrdRun | December 6, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

This is probably the earliest a pre-season game has ever been played......

Posted by: Soups1 | December 6, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

St. Joe should take two timeouts here, just to be sure.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

-and he's keeping score of punts vs. points - right now "...thats an 8-0 lead. this is gonna be a blowout at this rate" haha

Posted by: bdotjaydot | December 6, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

does this mean campbell won't be able to play in the pro bowl?

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

brunnell is our savior!

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 09:30 PM

Vinnie's calling Gibran Hamdan.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 6, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Jay Schroeder starts in the 2nd half, and his first throw goes for a touchdown!

Posted by: Soups1 | December 6, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe Bryant Gumbel was actually sought out for this job. What a mook!

Posted by: Soups1 | December 6, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

a performance for the ages . . . super proud.

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

wow . . . bring in suisham now!

Posted by: sales | December 6, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

This right here shows that Gibbs should not be slammed the way he has been since Sunday. This is proof that he was unfairly given a penalty. People need to get off of his back.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse