For Randy Thomas, 'R' word isn't a possibility

Redskins guard Randy Thomas played in only two games in his 11th season in the NFL. Since he went down with a torn triceps in the Sept. 20 game against the St. Louis Rams, Thomas has spent time rehabbing and pondering his future - but he has not, he said, considered retiring even though he turns 33 later this month.

"I got plenty more in me," Thomas said. "That 'R' word ain't ever in my mind. I think I got plenty more in me. I'm always gonna fight until I tell myself that enough is enough. I'm working like I always work."

Thomas's loss was the first for a line that has been devastated by injuries, and it was one of the most important. He has played in just 21 of the Redskins' last 48 games; he also tore a triceps in 2007, when he played in just three games.

He said he understands that with new general manager Bruce Allen on board, and a new coaching staff likely to follow, evaluations are being made. He said it would not change the way he approaches his offseason.

"Like I've always said, I always prepare for a season," Thomas said. "I've had some times where this game, it takes over, and you just can't predict what happens. Nobody knows. That's just how it is, until it's time to strap it up and get on the field again, nobody knows. It's a business. I know how it goes."

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 1, 2010; 2:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry, Thomas are out; Edwin Williams will start
Next: 4 quarters, 2 guys (1 substitute)

Comments

Of course, since I don't have a contract in place, Mr. Boras informed me I have a 'hammy,' (wink-wink) and thus, can not run well enough to play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 1:55 PM

Hey, MistaMoe, you're not getting a contract. You're just the Rooney rule guy so that they can sign daggar. You should continue to say "no comment" although "no comment" doesn't really sound like you.

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga | January 1, 2010; 2:33 PM ET

What is the R word? Redskins? Right guard?

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I would like to keep Randy Thomas around as a mentor and a solid back up.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

league-Source

"You should continue to say "no comment" although "no comment" doesn't really sound like you."

No comment.

However, I've seen the movie AVATAR.

And if you keeping trying me, I'm gonna paint myself blue, blow up your tree, and have my giant bird drop a bomb on your next post.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I would like to keep Randy Thomas around as a mentor and a solid back up.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 1, 2010 2:55 PM

Well, he's missed 27 of the last 48 games, so I don't think you can apply the word "solid" to him. Mentor? Sounds like a position coach to me.

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

clegg

"I would like to keep Randy Thomas around..."

Keeping Thomas around continues the wacky practice that's got the o-line in the position it's in now.

The line is bad.

So let's get Rhino healthy and E Williams some reps at center.

And from somewhere, find a rt, lt and running back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Does a mild concussion allow dancing in the club with shirt off and 2 bottles in hand? Well I guess he has every right to party but I guess I have a skewed view of concussions!

Posted by: overzealous08

Don't be so judgemental, Judgy Judgementalton. As any fake neourologist like myself knows, a concussion can actually cause a God Fearin', church goin' devout Fundamentalist to go acting the fool. Acting the fool includes dancing with one's shirt off, hiking in the Adirondacks, and playing footsie in a mensroom.

It can also cause a skewed view, so hie thyself to a doctor post-haste.

Posted by: TheCork | January 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

If you're watching along with the Kafka book club, the R word is either Replay or Review.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Well he can't kick for shjk, but odds are he'll graduate.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

So, the "R" word is out but the "C" word is quite in.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Well, I guess he has every right to party, but I guess I have a skewed view of concussions!"

If you've had a concussion, your views will be kinda skewed.

Listen to Steve Young try to explain the simplest of football concept, and you'll see how concussions damage the brain.

And what's up with so many dudes having concussions nowadays?

It used to be that no one cared if footballers could think--in fact, as the jocks have gotten smarter, the game has become less enjoyable.

What about taking the time to teach tackling so defenders know they are to 'hit only what they can see'?

These guys 'launch' themselves into the air hoping to get highlight hits and wind up with scrambled brain cells.

And then later, two bottles of champaigne.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Unfortunately, we will have to keep somebody. We can't pick up 10 new OL in one off-season, unfortunately. That's why he should be a solid backup. Ask him to plug in a start or two in a year.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 1, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it,the better it would be for the Skins if there was a CBA and FA ruled the NFL as normal. Josh McDaniles is looking as if he's ready to run off some players picked by Shanahan,who are RFA in an uncapped year, but FA in a capped year. The Skins could get a solid group of Olman, and even DBs if they chose to do so.

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 3:27 PM

I think the 'Skins are in Cap Hell if it's a capped year. They'll take big hits for Samuels, Thomas, Portis, cause I think those three are goners.

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

League-Source Portis and Thomas would have to stay another year in a capped year. They won't be let go because of their hit on the cap. The Skins will still have $$ to spend to get 4-5 solid vets without the big splash.

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,

This kind of cuts both ways, doesn't it? Aren't there a few guys -- JC? -- that we can make RFA's if it's an uncapped year, but not if it's capped?

I still prefer the uncapped year to get rid of our biggest constraint. Capped year just defers the problem one more year -- kicks the can down the road.

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"We can't pick up 10 new OL in one off-season, unfortunately."

So who do you save out of what most folks feels is a horrible offensive line:

Levi Jones

Derrick Dockery

Casey Rabach

Edwin Williams

Will Robinson

Injured:

Chris Samuels, Chad Rhinehart, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer, Randy Thomas

Explain how 7/8 new guys (some drafted, some FA) won't be as bad as or better than this group?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"I still prefer the uncapped year to get rid of our biggest constraint."

I do, too.

The owners are awash in money, and the players know that.

But from the redskin situation, the uncapped year would allow the team to 'flush' some bad contracts while using other money to attract players in positions of need.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

RT can stay at league mini mum.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

oh please, RT has become a poster boy for DEADskins OL Hopelessness...even entertaining another DESPERATE attempt to bring "Damaged Goods" back is an insult to all but the most DELUDED and BLIND FAITHERS

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | January 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

LS I hear either way, it'll be interesting to see what occures.

On another subject, I'm really liking the potential of the 2012 QB draft class. They will be 5-6 QBs who will have legit shots of being good NFL QBs with their arm strength, and athleticism, and experience by that point.

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"RT can stay at league minimum"

Given his injury history and age, why would you give a roster spot to a dude who hasn't played a complete season on the past two?

Think of it this way:

Would it have made more sense to release R Thomas and keep Jeremy Bridges at the end of camp this summer?

Let Thomas go.

His time as a redskin is up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe I'd keep these guys for camp mostly as back ups.

Levi Jones, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Edwin Williams, Will Robinson, Chad Rhinehart, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer, Fanikia.

I'd sign 2-3 FA and draft 2-3 Olman. Out of theses 4-6 new guys I'm looking for 3 new starters at least. Then I think the team should keep 10 OL on the active roster and 2-3 on the practice squad to start the new season.

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: overzealous08

It can also cause a skewed view, so hie thyself to a doctor post-haste.

Posted by: TheCork | January 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, overzealous.

You really should be less judgmental.

...like Cork.

Posted by: p1funk | January 1, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So who do you save out of what most folks feels is a horrible offensive line:

Levi Jones

Derrick Dockery

Casey Rabach

Edwin Williams

Will Robinson

Injured:

Chris Samuels, Chad Rhinehart, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer, Randy Thomas

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------

It really starts with the tackles. Jones and Heyer have earned themselves contracts as versatile, above average backups, but they should not be Day 1 starters. If the Guard position stayed as it is, with Dock, BMW, and Rinehart, then I think we could manage, so long as Rabach stayed healthy.

So I guess my Oline wish list would go in the following order

1 starting LT
2 starting RT
3 backup C
4 starting RG

I think if we hit 1 and 2, we would see a massive improvement up front

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Randy, R is for released.

Posted by: knight1977 | January 1, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Landry is the most overrated player on the team. He should be the first guy traded in the off season.

I haven't seen him once this season wrap an opp0sing player up with his arms.

Posted by: knight1977 | January 1, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"He (R Thomas) has played in just 21 of the Redskins' last 48 games; he also tore a triceps in 2007, when he played in just three games."

Memba when he came to town from the j-e-t-s?

from Wikipedia,

Randy Thomas along with John Hall, Laveranues Coles, and Chad Morton were officially nicknamed "The Jetskins," a nickname given to them for all leaving the New York Jets and signing with the Washington Redskins the same year in 2003.

In hindsight, who benefited from that deal, the jets or the skins?

Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen played wellalongside each other.

Coles went back to New York and we got S Moss in exchange.

John Hall was very good.

C Morton?: he wasn't worth a grain of salt.

(INSERT bad pun groan and shouts of "Happy New Year" to an image of Rodney 'Moe' Dangerfield yanking his tie whiule complaining about the lack of respect he receives from this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll be interested to see if/how Allen deals with Levi Jones. Past history is out the window at this point, but a contract that rewards him for solid starts and lets us off the hook if we find someone better. I think Rabach is a guy that you have to keep unless you can upgrade with a vet, but you have to surround him with enough talent that he isn't isolated (and giving up holding penalties) time and again.
I don't know if Mike Williams has the right stuff to work in a Shanahan zone/trap line.
Heyer is better on the bench (and staying there).
Rinehart gets a shot, but again may not be the zone blocking guy they need.
The churn of a new offense, new staff, and an uncapped year could work out for us. Trying to switch o-line techniques with the existing limitations in personnel and an unsettled QB and RB situation is something you'd like to avoid.

Posted by: daggar | January 1, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen him once this season wrap an opp0sing player up with his arms.

Posted by: knight1977 | January 1, 2010 4:24 PM

Maybe you should watch more? The guy is second on the team with 78 tackles. Only Fletcher has more.

Landry is an underachiever, but the answer is to improve his game, not give him away to another team that will.

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Rodney 'Moe' Dangerfield yanking his tie ...

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 4:33 PM

Not all that RMD is yanking....

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thomas is through.

He had a nice career but there's no way he can be counted on to play 13 or 14 games anymore.

Let's move on with youth.

Posted by: elfreako | January 1, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

you guys are forgetting one very important detail: shannahan (and potential o-line coach alex gibbs) will probably implement a zone blocking scheme that requires lighter, faster, more technically sound blockers as opposed to large bodies that take up space.

Posted by: sa11231 | January 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

I here ya,... and the chances are the majority of these guys will be gone...we have big lineman, unlike the Broncos famed Shanny and A. Gibbs lines. Quick and Agile. Rabach and Rinehart are the only two that would fit that bill. Dockery was horrible run blocking this year. I'm not even a Rabach fan. He get's blown up every time he has a NT over him. This off season ( which will be uncapped ) may be the most crazy we have ever seen. I could easily see 30+ new names of the final 53. Imagine watching pre-season with a program in your lap just to see who the players are.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 1, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sa11231

Yes, and he also wants a QB that is able to throw accurately while on the run.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 1, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen him once this season wrap an opp0sing player up with his arms.

Posted by: knight1977 | January 1, 2010 4:24 PM

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 4:53 PM
______________________________

Maybe you should watch more of his missed tackles, blown coverages.

Landry can't tackle unless the guy runs straight into him (think Jacobs, but he just got run over on that one) or cover anyone. He sucks plain and simple and has a "me first" attitude evidenced by his lame ass show boating when he does have a good play.

Posted by: knight1977 | January 1, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas is just another mooch trying to just get paid before he goes.

Lame.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 1, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas is just another mooch trying to just get paid before he goes.

Lame.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 1, 2010 6:08 PM |

You work for free Ray?

Posted by: mack1 | January 1, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 4:53 PM

Disagree. We have HORTON, DOUGHTY, HOLMES, MOORE as either FS or SS, and WESTBROOK can play limited role at SS as well. Trade him for two picks, a second this year and a third next.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 1, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

clegg

"Imagine watching pre-season with a program in your lap just to see who the players are."

This will be a welcomed change.

I live in the dolphins' market and check out the rosters of AFC and NFC East teams as that's how I'm drawn.

I've noticed that the Washington Redskins' roster has been fairly stable for the past 5 years.

The bucs, dolphins, pats, falcons, saints, jaguars, iggles, and bills have all 'flipped' their rosters to varied results.

The result with the redskins?: the team is has aged, has no true offensive threats, and the 4-10 record stands as proof of more than just that.

I couple of seasons of learning new redskin names and faces will be welcomed.

I'm willing to sit through a couple of 3-13 and 6-10 seasons if it means growth and hope.

It's time for a lot of changes at Redskin Park.

By next week at this time, we'll know what some of those changes will be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

glawrence

"Trade him (LaRon Landry) for two picks, a second this year and a third next."

If he's so bad for us, why would another team give up a second rounder for him?

There's a ton of tape on Landry. Folks all know how to expose him.

I say the team needs to let him play SS and move CR to free safety.

I'd bring in a free agent cornerback after cutting Fred Smoot.

Barnes, Tyron: there's a nice battle for playing time waiting to happen between these guys.

The secondary issues are related to guys playing out of position, not talent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

if this has.been is not smart enough to retire let´s hope the next regime is smart enough to get rid of him...these hangers on are just looking for a paycheck

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 1, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

The secondary issues are related to guys playing out of position, not talent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 6:28 PM

And very poor coaching by Zorn and Blache. I'm willing to give most of these guys a pass and see how they fit into a system and coaching philosophy that plays to their strengths and doesn't allow their weaknesses to be so easily exploited.

Quotes from Hog Heaven's Greg Trippiedi

"Cerrato had never made an effort to acquire intelligent defenders who could process information quickly, which is exactly what Bache’s scheme requires. Blache, in many ways, doesn't really even game plan during the week. He watches a lot of film, studies the tendencies of the opponent, but not to attack weaknesses like Williams did. Blache figures that if he can go and prevent the big play, and keep the opponent under 20 points, the offense should be able to do the rest."

"Greg Blache is doing the best job he can do for the Washington Redskins. In my opinion, he's doing a much better job than he did last year. But clearly, his best is not good enough. Blache doesn't have any solutions for the Redskins defensive problems, offering instead chippyness to the media and his own players, who have been through adversity before and have seen other defensive coaches solve similar problems. The Redskins need to find a better defensive mind who can use all this talent for dominance, and not spend every waking hour trying to save face."

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

As far as the "R" word and Randy Thomas.

This means "retire" or be "released". He could "resurrect" his career as a jet but his "redskins" days are over.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Terrelle Pryor=Jason Campbell

I'd like to see the running back L Blount in extended action
He might be an excellent NFL pickup in round 3/4.

He doesn't seem has athletic as J Dwyer.

But I'd like to see the kid be given the chance to wear the buckeyes down.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, Randy- when you say the R word you mean like, RUN, or RETURN NEXT YEAR?

Let me go ahead and script mr. Allens conversation for you.

Well Randy, we love your effort. We love the 60-70 plays a year you give us before you get hurt or tired. See, the thing is, we need someone who can actually play week in, week out, and not sprain his contract.

I am thinking of..... something younger.
Something healthier.
Something, more like a starter.
Now if you would like to give a thought about applying for head coach, then we have an opening and we'll talk before we fire Zorn on Sunday afternoon. But just don't tell anyone we have an opening because right now we don't except for the game you are not preparing for- along with the rest of next years starting offense.

But if someone asks you if we offered you the head coaching position next year remember to say yes, I mean no, I mean sort of sir. That way we can be clear we have no idea what we are doing, except for doing the thing that we do when it needs doing (every once and a hile) when people ask us questions about that stuff. Kinda of.

So buck it up for a few more days and we'll talk about that safety position- I am sorry son- what's your name? I am still getting used to Washington. Boy it's a long way from Seattle, isn't that funny? Seriously, once we decide on who decides on a quarterback we'll let you know so you can protect him from questions while you are recovering for next year.

But before you go- if anyone asks you if you are playing sunday then you have to say no- we said so, or someone else said no before I got here, in Washington (not the state, ya know?) and you cant- not at least until they throw the CBA out, but i haven't really thought about that yet...

Is anyone taping this?

Posted by: fireballhank | January 1, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

My inaugural comments for 2010:

The definition of a minor concussion is one that someone other than yourself got. The is no question that I am an unparalleled pipsqueak but having had two concussions has made me mindful that they can really f you up.

Landry is an athletic beast, but like the rest of the secondary has been plagued by a defensive scheme that doesn't suit his skills. It hasn't helped that he seems to have resisted all attempts at coaching him how to: a) wrap his arms around a player when trying to tackle him; b) not try to knock out the opposing player on every play by launching himself into the air; 3) not watch the opposing QB's eyes constantly trying to jump routes and then falling for double moves (necessitating playing him 15 yards off the line of scrimmage); and 4) trying to limit his amazing hitting powers to players who are in the actual field of play - as opposed to 5 yards out of bounds. Still with a proper scheme, including playing him in the proper SS position, and convincing him to buy into playing fundamentally sound football - he's a potentially great player.

On the Oline - I guess I'd rate our roster as having two guys who are probably worth keeping - one slightly above average player - Dockery; one below average player - Rabauch. After that . . . meh? I don't know that I'd sign Levi Jones to a big contract - at best he's a very short term stopgap. BWM - who knows. He plays OK at RG in spots but is very injury prone. Anybody else is probably no better than a waiver wire guy who at least knows the playbook. Rheinhart probably isn't even worthy of being a 10th guy. Edwin Williams might make a decent center, but isn't big enough to play guard (at least they way the Skins have needed), Heyer maybe is a guy that can fill in a RT for a game or two. I guess a lot depends on whether Shanahan in fact gets the job and decides to shift to the smaller more mobile type of lines he usually had in Denver. The team probably needs to get an entirely new line within two years.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 1, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the running back L Blount in extended action
He might be an excellent NFL pickup in round 3/4.
Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 7:21 PM

After that play you may not see him again.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

diesal44

"After that play you might not see him again."

You ain't kidding.

This game means more to the Ducks than the Buckeyes.

These college coaches are not loyal.

Not unless money is involved.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Terrelle Pryor should be playing wide receiver.

That guy is not a quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice article WaPo.

Would have been nice to include some relevant information along the way too, such as: his contract status, cap hit ramifications if cut, salary, the fact that he has a plate and a couple of screws in his neck, Buges assessment of him, etc. but whatever...

Just grab a quick interview, slap up two or three decent quotes and move on, no reporting going on here.

Did you notice the Times just today shut down their sports pages? Maybe there are a few reporters there who would be willing to invest a little effort in their craft.

But yeah, good job.

Posted by: edvar | January 1, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 3:33 PM

You forgot ARE...

Posted by: edvar | January 1, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure every father's fear is that one day your son will pull you aside and tell you that he wants’ to be a kicker.

I'm kickerphobic and I can admit it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

STAY the course and don't panic. Build the o-line in 2010. Stay away from glamor picks.

Don't dare win in SAN DIEGO.

OFFENSE:

Let's say thanks for the memories to WIL MONTGOMERY, CHRIS SAMUELS, RANDY THOMAS and LEVI JONES.

Sign ETHAN "Red Snapper" ALBRIGHT to another one-year contract. Move EDWIN WILLIAMS to backup center and look to replace RABACH, not resign him. If all else fails a one-year incentive contract.

Sign BMW to another one-year contract.

Pick a LT, either CAMPBELL, OKUNG, or BELUGA with the 1st round pick.

With the regular second pick take JASON FOX MIAMI or TRENT WILLIAMS OKLAHOMA for RT.

Fourth pick take JOHN JERRY OLE MISS or SERGIO RENDER LG VA. TECH.

MATT McCRACKEN LG RICHMOND undrafted FA signee.

SIGN JC for two.

Trade PORTIS and LANDRY for a second each. Assume there are more crazy people in this world that work as GM's in the NFL. Big if's, but we need those picks. Otherwise, we keep both for another year and play LANDRY at SS only.

With the highest secured second pick take RB RYAN MATHEWS FRESNO STATE.

Release RANDEL-EL and take the hit. Play MALCOLM KELLY and MARKO MITCHELL instead.

Sign TE TODD YODER.

With the lowest secured second, and our fifth, secure the rights to negotiate with NICK COLLINS FS GREEN BAY. Take FS TERRELL WHITEHEAD either in the seventh or as an undrafted FA.

Sign CARLOS ROGERS or tender him for a third, and trade the pick and next year's third for the rights to DUNTA ROBINSON and let LOS walk.

KARLOS DANSBY if possible for SSLB otherwise, take ANGELO CROWELL or KEITH BULLOCK in UFA.

Release RENALDO WYNN, and sign PHILLIP DANIELS as insurance for one more season. Be certain CHRIS WILSON will be in the house in 2010 as well as LORENZO ALEXANDER and KEDRICK GOLSTON.

SIGN ANTHONY MONTGOMERY for one more year, and wait to secure a top notch DT opposite MONEYSWORTH. As a second option, if magic can be worked to secure a BARRY COFIELD-type player this year go for the gusto. A third option would be to take the best available DT in the seventh if not used at FS and put ROB JACKSON in AM's slot.

Boy, GM's earn their keep, but fantasy football sure is fun. No wonder DS enjoys ownership of this franchise.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

You forgot ARE...

Posted by: edvar | January 1, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah he did. That guy laps the field on the list of over paid never were's who need to turn in their playbook. Or keep it, its not like we'll be using it next year.

CP, RT, and CS are all well well well above avg players whose years are catching up to them.

RT: Love the guy, and he is better than anybody who has played RG this year, but at this juncture bringing him back is only delaying the inevitable. I'll say this though... he is down a few levels on the "must replace list". Come to camp, compete, and get cut if he isn't clearly better than the youth challenging him for his spot.

Assuming we get two new starting rookie OTs, and here's hoping we do, having them start next to Dock and Thomas wouldn't hurt their development, but again, Thomas has to clearly be a lot better than the young RG challenging him... Rhino, Edwin, etc. I'd keep BMW as my first G or RT off the bench. I'd keep Levi as my first LT who can also play RT. Heyer gets shown the door, that guy is ONLY good enough to piss you off for screwing up just when you get something going.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Chargers to rest several players
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Billy Volek is expected to get his most extensive playing time in two years when the red-hot San Diego Chargers host the Washington Redskins in a meaningless regular-season finale Sunday.

The AFC West champion Chargers (12-3), who have won 10 straight games, have nothing to gain except to avoid any more injuries. They've already clinched the AFC's No. 2 playoff seed and a first-round bye.

Coach Norv Turner said Rivers will start and then make way for Volek at some point.

"I want to see Billy get some good opportunities," Turner said.

Volek's last significant action came when he led the winning drive at Indianapolis in January 2008 to put the Chargers in the AFC championship game. Coming in after Rivers hurt his right knee, Volek was 3- for-4 for 48 yards and then scored on a 1-yard sneak in the 28-24 victory.

"That was fun, the atmosphere was great, the playoffs, but I'm just looking forward to Sunday," Volek said. "I miss playing, so I'm pretty excited."

Volek didn't take a snap in 2008.

"I've never done that in my career, which is pretty crazy," Volek said. "All the tight games we were in, Philip, when we have a have a quarterback like that, he's a very sturdy guy. But yeah, I'm excited about this opportunity."

This year he played at the end of two blowout wins against Kansas City and at the end of the Chargers' last game, a Christmas night victory at Tennessee.

"I think it would be good for him," Turner said. "He hasn't got a chance to play much. Obviously we lived it two years ago in Indianapolis where he went in and hadn't played much and went in and played great. It was one of the reasons we were able to win the game. Getting him a few plays and getting him a chance to get back and play at that speed would be good."

Turner said he wants to get as many players in on Sunday, including healthy starters. He said this is different than an exhibition game because in August there are 80 players on the roster. Now there are 45 who will be active.

"We've got to play and we do need game-speed reps for our guys," Turner said. "I would like to get all 45 guys good opportunities to play."

The Chargers are expected to hold out a handful of players who've been injured. Among them are outside linebacker Shawne Merriman (foot), fullback Jacob Hester (shoulder), safety Eric Weddle (knee) and receiver Legedu Naanee (foot).

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson (Achilles' tendon) was listed as questionable after getting in only limited practice time this week. He'd like to play, if possible.

Volek is a good player. Hope to see Sproles take a couple screens to the house.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Thomas was one of the three Jets we got years ago that never panned out. For Thomas it has been injuries. My guess is that if he goes to another team, he will be able to play injury free. Not sure why but the Skins seem to always get more injuries that other teams. Only the Skins can have their punter injured during the bye week!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 1, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

And this is the game that's on Fox instead of Dallas Philly. I have to leave my house on Sunday, sit in some sjktty pool hall listening to Whitesnake on the juke box while waiting 10 minutes for a flat warm beer.

That's going to make me grumpy all week.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

That's going to make me grumpy all week.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 8:59 PM

Buy the ticket or make the full conversion over to being a Skins fan.

I'll have the girls/beagles game but my loyalty to the skins ruin every Sunday.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I think you (we) are all going to be spared that fate. Thomas had what most would consider a career ending injury at the end of LAST season in his neck, which required a plate and a couple of screws to fix. Nobody wants that guy on thier sidelines next year.

He should retire and call it a career.

Posted by: edvar | January 1, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the "R" word is "return" and there is no posibility for Thomas, the entire coaching staff, and the majority of the 2009 roster.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I have a friend with the ticket I usually sponge off when this happens, but the inconsiderate b*stard is out of town.

Once the best games aren't free anymore, I'll take the plunge.

The full conversion would require the Skins getting a once in a lifetime player so inspiring that an epiphany occured. My allegiance is involuntary. You do have the better blog and less moronic fans though.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you is your team?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

And careful of whitesnake... sit near an exit.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you is your team?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:37 PM

He's one of the more tolerable cowboy fans who is in the process of the unthinkable…. converting to the skins.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys, Kaneo. For about 33 years now and never took a day off. I try not to mention it unless someone brings it up.

I wandered onto this blog as a WaPo junkie and I got hooked. I was accepted like a Grizzly Man sort of thing, but I never know when somebody here will rip my head off.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

And careful of whitesnake... sit near an exit.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:39 PM

or pure Alabama blacksnake...You're night probably isn't going well if it involves either.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the promo for the NFL weekend, Redskins at Chargers was only listed in Braille.

I was going to wait until the Skins got good again, and then change teams. But it looks like I'll be dead by then.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, most of the natives have turned their anger inwards, rightfully so. We're in the process of pitchforking the town square for new leadership. Once we get that squared away though...

I've got a tough choice tom: Boyz Iggles or Ravens at the raidahs. Guess I'll keep it in the division, LOL

This Pike guy reminds me of JC. An overmatched line, and nobody open to throw the ball.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Haha. I think that was Great White. Whitesnake is probably really po'd about that.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

your not you're...I'll self correct to avoid the grammar German/Nazi/Rotfrau.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, i screwed the band reference dog. Was going for the Great White pyrotechnics gone horribly wrong in the Rhode Island club thing.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

What do you think Jax will give up if we pretend we are gonna grab Tebow?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

all the teams in FL have speed

did you see the FSU CB run down Devine from behind ala Green vs Dorsett?

Cincy can't compete with the speed

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 1, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I only remembered it from the "Once Bitten Twice Fried" jokes.

What a way to go. I hope they were all pardoned for digging cheesy hair metal and granted immediate entry into heaven.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe-

Nah it was good.

My apologies in advance for this...

God works in mysterious ways and he was looking for a way to thin the herd. God hates kickers, trailer parks, and anybody who listens to whitesnake.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Cincy players are already seething because their coach bailed on them...now they are getting their ass kicked...this could get ugly.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Per PFT

Shanahan on track to make more than $50 million from Redskins

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2010 9:22 PM ET
Some league insiders that free-agent coach Mike Shanahan would like to get another suitor to the table in order to drive up his leverage with the Redskins.

But even if he can't shake any other team out of the bushes, we're told that Shanahan will still make more than $50 million under the deal that the Redskins have ready for Shanahan's signature.

We assume it's a five-year contract, with an average salary in excess of $10 million per year.

It remains to be seen whether and to what extent Shanahan will keep any of the $7 million he's due to be paid in 2010 and 2011 by the Broncos.  One league source recently told us that the Broncos might not be entitled to a full dollar-for-dollar offset, which means that Shanahan would keep some of the money from the Broncos, along with the $10 million from the Redskins.

The Redskins deal, if ultimately accepted by Shanahan, will make him the highest-paid coach in NFL history.  Former Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren received an average salary in the range of $7.5 million to $8.5 million in his final years in Seattle.

Posted by: jonthefisherman | January 1, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Cincy can't recruit or coach speed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Cincy can't compete with the speed

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 1, 2010 9:57 PM

Their coach is gone, left for the Irish.

If Cincy wants to be competitive they need to put in their backup Collaros. Pike is a 6'6" stick figure w/ no arm strength and no mobility.

He's going to be a terrible pro while Collaros has mobility and a better arm and would challenge the gators defensively.

30-3…probably just a complete mismatch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

clegg

"I would like to keep Randy Thomas around..."

The line is bad.

So let's get Rhino healthy and E Williams some reps at center.

And from somewhere, find a rt, lt and running back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

One "somewhere" will be auditioning for Allen/Snyder & Co on Sunday in the form of LT Marcus McNeil, who I hope becomes the new regimes top free agent target.

Seems that would also afford some additional flexibility with that 1st round pick.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 1, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 1, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

That is certainly true. I THINK i trust Shanahan and BA to NOT draft Bradford. I figure Vinny enabling his pick was a lock.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 1, 2010 9:30 PM

What's the problem? Guy's out of town -- why can't you just break into his trailer, enjoy the game, drink his beer?

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

McNeill

Uncap year so he will be RFA
SD will max tender so he would cost 1st & 3rd picks

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 1, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 1, 2010 10:31 PM

McNeil would be a RFA if there isn't a salary cap. Players would need to have 6 years of service instead of 4 in an uncapped year.

That's the downside of an uncapped year, most FAs will be at least 30.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 1, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I just can't see them letting him go. They have their guard as their right tackle now and behind him is Jon Runyan.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 1, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

This is my first post. I've been a diehard fan since 1981. I've been fortunate enough to have seen the glory days of Mel Kaufman, Dave Butz, Darrell Green, Doug Williams and everyone. I'm Active Army stationed in Germany right now but I get to see a lot of the games here on AFN. It's painfull what we went through this decade,but I hope Shanahan, Russ Grimm, or somebody with an attitude comes here.

We've been needing a GM change, which took a decade, and a coach with an attitude to bring discipline back to this team.If it means rebuilding and changing over 30 guys on the roster, then so be it.

I've been reading all of your posts for about 3 weeks and finally I had to speak up and say I agree with all of those that say we need more draft picks and definately need OL,OL.

Reluctantly, I must admitt, I believed also in JC until last year. He just does not have that IT factor if you know what I mean. Yes, I know the OL is terrible, but it wasnt a few years ago. He just does not show any fire at all no matter the situation. Personally, I don't know who we need at QB, if we are going to draft one this year, but If our FO does, please get someone that's a little cocky and shows fire.

Also noonefromtampa, yes I saw Devine get run down by Robinson of FSU today. I'm watching Florida embaress Cin right now. It's 4:45AM and I don't know if I can make it through the second half of this one.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

The more I watch Tebow the more I think he'll be fine in the NFL. I used to hate is throwing motion and thought he threw slow and inaccurately but now it seems like his throw is much faster and a lot more accurate. He throws a nice catchable ball now. I still don't know if it's fast enough for the NFL but I'd take a 3-4 round risk on him. I wouldn't take him if I was the Redskins but if I was another team in need of a QB I'd consider it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 1, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Was Randy playing well the first two games or not? If he was playing at a high level, no reason to think he can't come back at a high level. He tore a triceps, he didn't blow out a knee. Its also not an issue of offseason conditioning or preparation (I don't think, anyway).

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 1, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 4:53 PM

The answer with Landry is to move him to SS where he belongs and sign or draft a quality FS.

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 1, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 1, 2010 11:12 PM

I agree with you there. Landry needs to stay in his natural position. I even thought that if we picked up some other picks through trades and Okung is not at pick 5 for us, FS Berry of TENN would be an option, but only if we got another 2nd rounder or two to get our OL we need.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Time for Thomas to go, he's an injury waiting to happen again.

Posted by: VegasJim | January 1, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 10:51 PM

THANKS for your service. I appreciate you and the rest of your military brethren.

I look forward to seeing your future posts and more importantly the fact that Redskins and this site give you the ability to divert your attention on the more trivial things.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 1, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

There's a lot of free safeties in free agency this year. They typically don't cost much either. We should sign one after the draft. I mean if Eric Berry falls to us it would be hard to pass him up.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 1, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the issue with RT is his tricep; it's the neck surgery he needed at the end of last season that really makes you wonder, compounded by the fact that they tried to limit his reps in practice in training camp, and then all the missed games over the last two years.
If you let him go, you've got to have a plan in mind, and I don't have a sure upgrade on the tip of my tongue. He's been an elite player when healthy, and that's hard to replace. But my feeling is that they're moving in a different direction, and he's not going to be the linchpin to success this time around.

Posted by: daggar | January 1, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

R Thomas has a plate and a couple of screws in his neck. He's one bad hit from being carted of the field.

It's time to move-on. Let's find the next great Right Guard that will anchor our line for the coming decade and leave the past where it belongs.

Posted by: edvar | January 1, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

paskinsfan

Between Tebow and Pike, Pike is the better pro prospect.

Pike throws an accurate ball, ignore this game.

Tebow has yet to show you he can beat a team simply with his arm--and that's the mark of an NFL quarterback.

Pike is a good candidate for drafting in rounds 3/4, sitting on the bench, and starting once the redskin offensive line is rebuilt.

But neither Pike nor Tebow is as good a Bradford.

Sit down and watch last year's National Championship game, and you see Bradford throwing darts against this same gator defense.

I think Clausen and Bradford will go into the draft listed as the best q-back options.

Pike and Tebow: they just aren't the real deal.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

testing 1...2...3

Posted by: jenksredskins | January 1, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Thanks Diesel44, I appreciate that. I just came back from Iraq for the 3rd time in June 09 and now have orders for Afganistan in July already. You guys have been making me laugh a lot about our skins the last couple of weeks. I will definately try and keep up when I deploy. I might be an old cat, but if you all disagree with me on stuff, let me have it too, I'm not that d_ _ m old. Thanks.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I've bashed the hell out of JZ for his HC deficiencies.

If I'm a team that wants to get Tebow, i get Zorn to be my QB coach.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 1, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of pro prospects, Gilyard, Haden, Jenkins, Dunlap, both Pounceys, Spikes, Stamper, and Hernandez will all be NFL players.

The Pouncey kid playing center is a junior and is very good.

I used to be a h.s. track coach and have seen Deonte Thompson up close: dude is very fast.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan

I'd draft Pike over Tebow.

But if B. Allen has to take a quarterback, I hope he moves to snag S Bradford in the second round.

Bradford has Pike's accuracy and Tebow's arm strength.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

paskinsfan

Between Tebow and Pike, Pike is the better pro prospect.

Pike throws an accurate ball, ignore this game.

But neither Pike nor Tebow is as good a Bradford.

Pike and Tebow: they just aren't the real deal.

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Your right, I think Pike is better than Tebow, but Tebow has that attitude a QB should have. It's 5:30AM here in Germany and I stayed up just to see what Pike could do against a good defense. He's running for his life all night though. Also, all the mock drafts have us drafting Bradford. I was high on him when he first got to OU, but I have to say that Jimmy Clausen has the attitude and cockiness a QB should play with. I hate Notre Dame, but I can't knock what I've seen in him. If our GM and coach go QB in round one even though we all want Okung, who would you want?

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Pike and Tebow: they just aren't the real deal.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Pike that much. I think he needs to bulk up a good bit and his arm strength just isn't there. I like Tebow better than Pike. As for Bradford I watched him play this Gator defense but I've also seen him play with a crappy line. Once you hit him he shuts down. He also needs to learn how to fall. He can't keep falling on his shoulder like that. If he's going to be good in the NFL he needs to learn how to take a hit. I really don't like any of these QB prospects this year. Claussen looks lost half the time. McCoy doesn't have the arm strength either. Snead looked terrible everytime he faced a good defense. I'd rather wait until next year but if one of these guys fell I'd take a risk. Claussen or Bradford in the second would be a great deal. Pike, McCoy or Tebow in the 4th would be great.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 1, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Rabach must go! (fill via FA or draft), Rhinehart is probably shot with the injury and his low learning curve and size. Anyone know what O linemen meet UFA status in a no cap year? Please get some better scouts, my goodness we are sorry in that area (no doubt with Vinny). For the 953rd time, why isn't Marko playing? Is it still the reason of not knowing all the plays (week 17)? Why are you not stretching the field/throwing slants/ & crossing patterns? I almost forgot...no line blocking,especially at center, but you knew that from the previous season.......nevermind.

Posted by: jenksredskins | January 1, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Both of them will be drafted in the first round.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

JCampbell is still our best choice, none of this college QB is pro ready, even the best of the bunch, Tim Tebow, will need at least 3 years of adjustment to the NFL. We will better use our draft pick on offensive line, running back, and defense.

Posted by: abxinc | January 1, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Claussen and Bradford that is will be drafted in the first round.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd draft Pike over Tebow.

Bradford has Pike's accuracy and Tebow's arm strength.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 11:36 PM

I'd draft Tebow over Pike in the 4th round and make him a HB/TE. Neither has the skill set to be starting QB.

QB Board
1. Clausen: pro style O, above avg arm strength, plays on an avg team. He has all the skills and will go in the top 3.

2. Bradford: Will be available but a huge mistake…spread O (no snaps under C), avg arm strength, coming off shoulder injury, never seen a pass rush, and has a slight build.

The rest of the QB draft is less than impressive except 6'5 250lb John Skelton from Fordham who could be available in the 4th.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Claussen and Bradford that is will be drafted in the first round.

Posted by: DieHardSkinsFan81 | January 1, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they will. I imagine Claussen will go in the top 5 possibly #1 overall and Bradford will go in the top 10.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 1, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

yone know what O linemen meet UFA status in a no cap year?

Posted by: jenksredskins | January 1, 2010 11:45 PM

Eugene Amano (G) Tenn -is young he'll be 28 and has starting experience.

Chester Pitts (G) Hou - will be 31 and coming off an injury (not sure what), but hadn't missed a start in 4 years before this injury.

Mike Gandy (LT) AZ- will be 31 a starter, and coming off injury. Due a large roster bonus that some believe the Cardinals won't match making him a FA.
Mike Gandy

Posted by: TWISI | January 1, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

1st round QBs
1: Clausen Rams
5: Bradford Redskins
12: Tebow Jaguars

All will be mistakes and further illustrate why all 3 teams will continue to struggle.

The only pick I can’t fault is Clausen, although they will regret not taking Suh

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

R word? Retire? Release? It'll be one or the other -- unless he learns how to be a long snapper

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 2, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

We love ya Randy but its time to go.

The redskins need a heaping dose of fresh legs, faces, and attitudes.

Posted by: dashriprock | January 2, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Great game for Florida

I like Tim Hiller QB (C.Mich) in the 4th round

I switched over to Rollerball on TCM

That along with Soylent Green and Logan's Run are some of my all time 70's sci-fi flicks

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 2, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I know the R word isn't "ribs." Randy Thomas loves BBQ ribs. As do I.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 2, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

You really don't understand do you? We need offensive linemen, we have a qb that can't play better than a backup-that's JC, we have Colt on IR and I believe he will start next year for us, JC won't be around. He's our best qb-Colt and they can draft a qb in a later round if Colt don't pan out. We need OL, DB's, and a stud RB. We could use SUH on D-line. We have holes and Shanahan is still a loser. God I hope he signs with Dallas. We need Cowher, a tough blue collar coach who will shake this team into a contender!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | January 2, 2010 4:45 AM | Report abuse

It's the OL stupid! It's not the coaching staff.

Give Zorn an OL and see what happens - the offense will score lots of points - the defense won't tire out in the second half, and the Redskins will be super bowl contenders.

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 2, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas has been injury prone for the last few years. He was great in the day, but time to move on.

By the way, the "R" word means Retain his salary while sitting on his butt injured.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 2, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Can things get better?

from the WaPo,

"This is easily correctable. One need only look at the San Diego chargers, the NO Saints and Atl Falcons to see how quickly rapid turn-around can occur...."

Kinda, sorta, maybe, coulda, woulda, shoulda, I dunno, well, I don't know, why not, hell naw--it won't happen, true.

First thing, B Allen has to who will be the head coach.

From there, all things find direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 8:18 AM

Saints turn-around: Gregg Williams (not an option)
Chargers turn-around: Norv Turner (not an option)
Falcons turn-around: Ditched Vick (not an option)

Posted by: League-Source | January 2, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

2004 Auburn Tigers 13-0 SEC Champs

RB Ronnie Brown
QB Jason Campbell
CB Carlos Rogers
RB Carnell Williams
DT Jay Ratliff
OT Marcus McNeill
WR Devin Aromashodu

These guys are all in the league now.

If you could have a do-over, who'd you draft from this list?

I'd take McNeil and Ratliff.

D Aromashodu was a redskin briefly, but seems to have found a home in Chi-City.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"Chargers turn-around: Norv Turner (not an option)"

Weren't the chargers 12-4 when they canned Marty?

Norv inherited a great situation.

I think what the falcons have done is what stands out.

Folks forget they let Vick go--like they had a choice--after trading away M Schaub (who since has become better than Vick ever was), and rolled up "7" with Matt Ryan.

They also parted ways with K Brooking, A Crumpler, D Hall, P Kearney, and still feature a great o-line--none of which has made them less competitive.

Whomever is running that falcon personnel department deserves massive props.

Hopefully, B Allen can work some of this magic in D.C..

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

1st round QBs
1: Clausen Rams
5: Bradford Redskins
12: Tebow Jaguars

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 1, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Substance before glitz, right Diesel44?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 2, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

1st round QBs
1: Clausen Rams
5: Bradford Redskins

I can not agree with this assessment.

Had Bradford not been injured, he's the talk of the draft.

Bradford just runs the gimmicky spread?

Well, so does Manning, Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, and a whole lot of NFL quarterbacks now that the league has gone pass happy.

Clausen comes into the NFL having run an NFL-lite system for a few years: he can walk into many place and not have to learn what he doesn't already know.

Guys like Suh impress in college, but like with Glenn Dorsey, NFL teams counteract with guards and centers who can shut them down.

Unless, of course, you're the Washington Redskins.

Great defensive ends mean more than great defensive tackles in the NFL.

Suh will go into the league and won't be heard from again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, B Allen can work some of this magic in D.C..

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 2, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Just be aware that working magic will include aquiring additional draft picks by trading away some of your ("your" being collective not specifically Moe) favorite "Core Redskins."

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 2, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The O-line has been mostly awful and uniformly terrible for a decade at least. Blow it up, and start with this guy. If you can't get your best players on the field due to injury, it exposes just how bad your backups are.

Posted by: spqr2k | January 2, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Ive been a vocal critic of the pols...particularly the in game half time polls.

BUT, we could really have fun with a "how long will Zorn last as HC after the final whistle Sunday" poll.

I say he gets fired privately Monday and is granted an opportunity to speak to the team that day before it becomes publically and officially announced Tuesday.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Would B. Allen see a lighter quicker line as the solution? Doing this could commit the Redskins to such a line for many years. If Shanahan doesn't stay then what? And would such an approach work in the NFC east?

In Denver Shanahan had one big advantage eight times a years, playing in Mile High stadium. He won't have that in DC. Defenses won't get as winded. Will such an offense with such a line be able to wear down defenses often enough as the season goes on?

Every knows Snyder loves the big splashy pick and Shanahan fits the bill. But is he the guy that Allen wants? Can he steer Snyder to the next hot assistant, the young guy that could be the HC for many years? The guy that is on the NFL insider radar but not on the medias? The guy who is doing a great job on a team that might not going to the playoffs? (No, Zorn was not the next hot assistant. Ever. Being picked for OC originally was a big surprise)

Bringing in Shanahan could end up being a huge disappointment. This is usually happens when the HC is also really the personnel guy, given total control, which is the only deal he'll sign. And its not what the Redskins need. They need the HC to be HC only. And the GM to be the GM. And the owner to stay out of the way.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | January 2, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

if he really cares about the team, let him come back with a reduced salary and be a reserve. i bet he will not care that much unless he gets no other offers.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | January 2, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

BA PERFECTLY solves the Redskins problem around the League: Vinny was a clownish Dbag who could be counted on by agents to overpay in cash and by teams to overpay in value either in players or picks.

Now, whether it was really Danny all along, and if it was Danny all along can BA can put a stop to it, remains to be seen.

As usual, I'm hopeful.

I'll say this tough: Danny didn't bring in BA to hire a barely heard of HC candidate looking for a shot to shock the world. I suppose the ONE possible outlier to this theory would be Grimm. Although Grimm really isn't a barely heard of HC candidate around these parts, he would soothe the masses, and in partnership with BA could turn things around. BUT, the Cardinals playoff run is going to be a negative factor for Grimm as Danny will be chomping at the bit to get his new guy in here so he does not get aced like last time.

If I'm BA and Danny, Billick is my fall back position. Cowher ain't coming here, and you still need an Offensive guy if he does. Billick won a superbowl with a journeyman QB, a good oline, and a great D. Based on his running comments last night, the guy LUSTS to be back on the sidelines. Two of those ingredients are pretty much in place(JC is a viable journeyman, and IMO Colt could be no worse than one as well), and after the draft/free agency they COULD be locked and loaded in all three areas. Win a superbowl without further upgrades? Nope, but you at least become competitive and have the foundation in place to be on your way.

Fixing the Oline opens the world. Neglecting it again only means you flailingly strive to achieve mediocrity.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

the problem with the redskins is and always will be, placing too much value in too few players,while neglecting depth and future opportunities in trade/free agency.Hopefully the new regime will rectify this.We will find out in April.

Posted by: mark65 | January 3, 2010 5:37 AM | Report abuse