Former DL Brooks passes away

Perry Brooks, a Redskins defensive lineman from 1977 to 1984 who was part of two Super Bowl teams, died earlier this week at 55 in Woodbridge, where he'd made his home.

Brooks, whose son, Ahmad, played at Virginia and is a linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers, had his best season in 1984, when he played in all 16 games and tallied 5.5 sacks.

Brooks's hometown newspaper recalled him as a man who was well-respected, easy to talk to and loved the Redskins.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  March 6, 2010; 11:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins confirm Hicks signing
Next: In Artis Hicks, Redskins get someone who can play 4 of 5 offensive line spots

Comments

Condolences to the Brooks family.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 6, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers to the Brooks family.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

55 is to young (I'm 55). Condolences to the Brooks family.

Posted by: msrent | March 7, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Redskin nation mourns. God Bless you Perry and condolences to the Brooks family.

Posted by: laserwizard | March 7, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

RIP P.B. He was an important part of that DT rotation during the glory days.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 7, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Condolences and prayers for the Brooks family.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | March 7, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

My deepest condolences to the Brooks family.

Posted by: TideSkin | March 7, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

my prayers go out to the family of Brooks for their loss

Posted by: joevick2 | March 7, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Brooks was a good redskin!!!

Faaast Willie Parker?????

Posted by: jiza32 | March 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

To AHMAD and the rest of the BROOKS family, peace. Remember PERRY fondly. I can still see him playing with DAVE BUTZ and in the 83-84 period with DARREL GRANT.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Looks like PASHOS and CLIFTON tried to hold a gun in the REDSKINS ribs. Glad this admin bunch didn't cave. But that throws the tackle situation back onto the draft, and puts the REDSKINS development back one year.

Unless a rabbitt appears soon in FA, the brass are going to be forced to deal with an either or situation where o-line needs vs. o-backfield needs are concerned. The draft alone can't satisfy both in one year.

If faced with that eventuality I say take o-line now rather than putting fresh meat into the o-backfield and have them crippled up by an ineffective protection unit. The record will not dramatically improve at that point and the 'SKINS should still be able to grab the QB of the future next season.

Meanwhile, SOUP can finally show what he's capable of behind a stable and improving front wall.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace, Perry. Condolences to the family.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 7, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

brooks..raju' kararu paa rahun-u " hatup

Posted by: wathu19 | March 7, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, and condolences to the family.

Posted by: TWISI | March 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

So...

"SOUP can finally show what he's capable of behind a stable and improving front wall."

And...

"The record will not dramatically improve at that point and the 'SKINS should still be able to grab the QB of the future next season."

Sounds like our fate is sealed.

Posted by: edvar | March 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 7, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

RIP

Posted by: DLESMonday | March 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Perry. And thanks for the memories.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | March 8, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I went to elementary school with his kids. I was about 7 years old and playing nintendo at their house one day while Perry Sr was bench pressing in the basement. I had never seen such a huge guy throw around weights like that before. I was initially scared of him but he came over and shook my hand with a gentle smile. Very nice guy, My condolences to his family.

Posted by: skinsfan87 | March 8, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I only met him once but like many of the people that knew him, I was was so impressed with his kindness. Mr. Brooks was a true gentleman. My condolences to his family.

Posted by: snyder_is_retarded | March 8, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse