NFL Dads step up for daughters

Former Redskin Brian Mitchell and Washington cornerback DeAngelo Hall are scheduled to appear at a book-signing Saturday afternoon at a Costco in Arlington (1200 S. Fern St.), beginning at 3 p.m.

The two will be signing copies of a new book called "NFL Dads Dedicated to Daughters."

The book features more than 70 current and former NFL players who discuss what it's like to have a daughter and what men can do to prevent violence against women. Here's how a news release described the book: "They might be tough on the football field, but NFL players
clearly have a soft spot for their little girls. Despite their athletic prowess and success, these gridiron heroes realize that protecting their daughters can be difficult in a world that sometimes
treats women harshly. As a result these men have decided it is time to stand up and be heard. The result is NFL Dads Dedicated to Daughters."

Hall and Mitchell both appear in the book with their daughters, as does Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb.

McNabb writes: "We cannot continue to support a man who needs to dominate a woman in
order to boost his own confidence and feel like a man. I am very protective of my daughters as well as my wife. I want my family to live happy, healthy lives in a world where there are good men who treat women right."

Proceeds from sales go to A Call to Men, a group dedicated to the prevention of domestic abuse.

By Rick Maese  |  June 19, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins fine Haynesworth $10,000
Next: Redskins possibly close to landing tackle Jammal Brown

Comments

Some of the best football news I have heard in a long time, and I mean that, sincerely!

Posted by: mmck | June 19, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Everyone is slamming Snyder and Cerrato for the Haynesworth signing and as well as all the other overpriced aging veterans. People are saying that with Allen and Shanahan things have changed.

He is about to get a fairly big 3 year contract. He is on the downside of his career. The team is not in a position to compete for the playoffs much less the championship. NFC East is toughest division. No oline, no wrs. New defensive scheme without the players to fit. New scheme on offense.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 19, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Re-post from last thread.
Whatever we do with this stink bomb we need to do it in a manner so as to keep the stench out of our locker room. We are starting to move in the right direction and we can't let this selfish azzwipe derail the good things happening at Redskin Park. It will probably be more than a little painful for Mr. Snyder but it's time to get AH away from our dedicated players. Eat the contract, cut AH and move on with the players that want to be here. And the next time you want to offer a bloated contract to a low character player, think back to 2009-2010. Why try to punish him, revenge is for losers and is a waste of energy. We can win without AH, I don't think we win with him.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 19, 2010 9:05 AM |

Posted by: wireman65 | June 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Let me ask you isn't the trade and soon to be resigning of McNabb more of the same?"

I don't think so. Granted we need a lot more help on the O line but an upgrade a QB was necessary. DM5 is a high character guy, an upgrade over JC17 and a positive influence in the locker room. Quite different from AH, Jeff George, Deon Sanders, Adam Archuleta, et al.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 19, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"The book features more than 70 current and former NFL players who discuss what it's like to have a daughter and what men can do to prevent violence against women."

(INSERT applause and general cheering and the acknowledgement that the key to improving the future lies in the health and welfare of today's young women. They are tomorrow's mother, after all.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 19, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"The team is not in a position to compete for the playoffs much less the championship. NFC East is toughest division.posted by srobert1117"

Actually, I don't think the NFC East is as tough as it was a few years back. Philly is beginning to rebuild, and going with a young QB. NY is going through big changes, mostly on defense (the Jints were really down last year).

The team with the legit Super Bowl hopes is Dallas. And who knows how those guys will perform?

As to whether the Skins are in competition for the playoffs, that depends a lot on the wild card process in other divisions. You could certainly argue that the NFC North, with the Vikes and Packers, and the South, with the Saints and Atlanta, could turn out to have more real contenders than the East.

But the really strong divisions appear to be in the AFC -- the East with the Jets, NE, and Miami, the North with the Steelers, Ravens, and possibly Cincinnati, and the South may be strongest of all if Indy, Houston, and Tennessee pick up where they left off last year.

The West looks like the weakest in both conferences.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"DM5 is a high character guy, an upgrade over JC17 and a positive influence in the locker room."

#5 is an upgrade over #17 in terms of accuracy and decision-making.

#5 wants the weight of the offense on his shoulders while #17 seemed too much like an unfinished product that'll never be completed.

But they are both high character guys. and positive influences.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 19, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Simply put, it was time for Jason Campbell to leave... even if he was coming into his own... even if he was going to have a good year... even if Shanahan was going to improve his play... having JC around this year would have put a damper on the morale of the entire city. The JC experiment was over. It was time to move on. The best way to do that was to pick up Donovan McNabb. He may not last too many years, or too many games, for that matter, but we had to have a change of scenery that would lead to more optimism. New blood is coming. I say we trade AH for some OL help and keep the process going.

Posted by: mmck | June 19, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

As punishment for Albert Fatsworth, could the Redskins give him the number 0 and put a ridiculous name on his jersey such as "Gravy Train?" Also I would resign Leigh Torrence to a one day contract and give him the number 92!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 19, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"The team is not in a position to compete for the playoffs much less the championship."

No argument here.

But at some point, a discussion of possible benchmarks that equal success must be discussed.

The defense must get more turnovers that equal points as a bunch of sacks are unsatisfying.

The occasional long punt/kick return that 'flips the field' is also desired.

Two backs that rush for 1800 yards together are better than one dude doing it alone.

One of the young'ns to play receiver drafted in '08 must become an important part of the offense.

Finally, the offense itself should show both the ability to score and mount comebacks: the two major failings of the Jason Campbell's tenure as starting quarterback.

We don't want anything other than the redskins to be an above average NFL team.

And above average NFL teams go 9-7 every year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 19, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

For those who say the Redskins won't compete for a playoff spot, I disagree. We have a topnotch coach and an above average veteran QB, who knows the NFC East better than any other quarter back. For the first time I feel the Skins have chemistry, which can be more important than talent. I think they will be an over achieving bunch this year who will have each other's backs every Sunday.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 19, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 9:44 AM

Also depends a lot on injuries. Sure, the 'Skins aren't deep, but what team in the league is deep enough to absorb two or three injuries to key players. Redskins have a chance this year.

Posted by: greenback | June 19, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

samson

"...I don't think the NFC East is as tough as it was...Philly is beginning to rebuild.... NY is going through big changes, mostly on defense...."

So is this the predicted order of finish?:

NFC East
Dallas
Washington
Philadelphia
New York

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 19, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, Fat Al, with his new $21 million bonus check, still refuses to pay for his daughter's preschool.

Posted by: j762 | June 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: j762 | June 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of changed, I challenge anyone to demonstrate/ explain what has changed from previous years under $nyder's ownership? My answer is more of the same thing, only it will cost the fans even more money than ever before.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The biggest and best change by far is that Bugg eyes Cerrato is gone! Snyder appears to be letting Shannahan and Allen run the show, so lets give Snyder the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 19, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SuperSkin | June 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"So is this the predicted order of finish?:
NFC East
Dallas
Washington
Philadelphia
New York
Posted by: MistaMoe"

LOL I smell a trap...

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"ESPN NFL Insider (via Seahawks blog) reporting that Haynesworth is being traded to the Seahawks. No firm confirmation at this point.Posted by: SuperSkin"

Pete Carroll is certainly accustomed to working with players who are well-paid.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"...I challenge anyone to demonstrate/ explain what has changed from previous years under $nyder's ownership? My answer is more of the same thing..."Posted by: hessone"

You realize that paragraph makes no sense, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

From superskins link:

"Regardless of your opinion on how Haynesworth has whined about playing nose tackle in a 3-4 after being payed $30 million for a season; he is still a game changing top five defensive tackle who would come to the Seahawks with a ridiculously reasonable $5.3 million salary over the next three seasons.
If he dons the blue and green next year, be content, embrace it, and say hello to the best player on the Seahawks defense."

Ah, the siren song of unfulfilled talent. Have these hawks fans learned nothing from this debacle? Reminds me of me after we signed him, except now he has a more established track record. I would've thought there'd be no way anyone would want him now...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 19, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow...if Haynesworth to Seattle is correct, I love it. We'd literally be trading him as far away from here as possible. Plus we get something back for him at a time when I thought nobody would dare give up anything of value for this turd.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If you guys haven't read the Wise column yet, do it. I typically hate his stuff, but he's hitting the nail on the head with this..."Haynesworth isn't just a buzz kill for the dawning of a more prosperous era in Washington sports; he's a window into everything wrong with the Redskins the past decade."

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 19, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1
so lets give Snyder the benefit of the doubt.

Been giving him the benefit of a doubt for a decade. Only a fool would continue to support $nyder and his over inflated losing product.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

DMac really is a great guy. You never got to hear anything about the stuff he did in Philly down here and he's already done so much in such a short time.

I've always been a fan of his on the field going back to Syracuse.

I'm so happy he's a Redskin. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 19, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Skins will get anything higher than 3rd rounder for fat boy. I'd take it anyway. Snyder is gonna have to swallow that $, but that should teach that little itch a lesson. He deserves to take a bath.

Posted by: Salinas1 | June 19, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"I guess Shanahan wasn't kidding when he said there would be some Haynesworth news very soon. Now pull the trigger!"

I heard the Raiders were in the mix as well, we'll see.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 19, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Samson151

I make no sense more than half of the time. You do understand that $nyder is taking your wallet for a ride, don't you?

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I wanna know when WP is going to send someone to wherever Haynesworth is and get in his face and ask him to his face why he's being such a D*CK....get that on tape, THAT would be a story....we send reporters everywhere else to confront people, why not him?

Posted by: rot8tor_man | June 19, 2010 12:38 AM |

The problem here is that WaPo lacks the $$$ needed to hire the bodyguards that any sane reporter would insist on to accompany him/her on said mission.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Re: Haynesworth

I don;t know the status of the "StarCaps" case, but the best thing that could happen for the Skins is for a ruling to come down against the Williamses.

That would force the Vikes hand. They are full-blown in the "win now" mindset, and to lose both their starting tackles for a portion of the season would be devastating.

Since they are "win-now" they are likely going to be less protective of high-round picks as would other teams like Detroit or Tennessee who still have rebuilding to do.

Basically...what we need is a team that is more desperate and have their stones caught in a tighter vice-grip than we do...maybe that will turn out to be the Vikes...

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Pete Carroll is certainly accustomed to working with players who are well-paid.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Haha...my thoughts exactly.

I can see the Skins FO pow-wow on this one:

Bruce Allen: "So who out there would be interested in AH - a highly-rated talent who is also a slimeball that doesn't care about anything but their own prestige..."

Mike Shanny: "Yeah...we'd really have to sell AH to someone who doesn't give a lick about things like decency and doing it the right way...hmmm...heeeyyy, Bruce are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Bruce Allen: "I was dialing Pete Carroll before you even finished your thought..."

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 12:56 PM |

Is it one of them nifty-neato rides at Six Flags? That would be super-cool.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

So you are basically challenging us to demonstrate that Snyder isn't interested in money?

What kind of point is that?

I challenge you to find one single solitary NFL owner who isn't interested in money.

Last I checked, all of these owners were running businesses, and I can't think of one team that's been turned into a non-profit...

...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@ItsaFact

Don't choke on that Johnny Rocket!

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcazz | June 19, 2010 12:38 PM |

I kind of agree with you. Reports out of Philly were that the locker room was divided over the issue of TO vs. Mc
N when TO was there. My thought was how is it that the locker room is divided when TO is such a forkin' jagoff?

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1

Roger that. But it was a firing. And that, my friend, is more of the same.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 1:42 PM |

What about the Packers? The fans own the team. I'm sure for many of them they purchased the shares they own out of feelings of loyalty and affection for the team rather than any base pecuniary motive.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

p1funk wrote:
What kind of point is that?

It's not a point. It's a challenge. Your point is NFL owners make alot of money. Well blow me down!

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't choke on that Johnny Rocket!

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 1:44 PM |

Wow! You mean Mr. Snyder would treat me to a burger and fries after the ride was over? Hot diggity dog!

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

p1funk wrote:
What kind of point is that?

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

And your point is that Snyder is some kind of bad guy for also wanting to make money?

If you are so bothered by that notion, what you need to do is go ahead and boycott pro sports altogether.

In the mean time, live with the fact that Snyder wants to make money; the owners before him wanted to make money; the owners after him will want to make money.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 19, 2010 12:16 PM |

Getting at best a 4th rounder for a player the team has already invested $$$ in and gotten very little out of is hardly something to get all wowy about.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@ItsaFact

Yep! But within minutes, you'll be puking that rocket. Sad thing is, you'll jump back on that nifty-neato ride and do another Johnny Rocket, only to throw that one up.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

..but correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 1:42 PM |

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It's a fact!

Packers are a community owned non-profit team. There you go.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@p1funk

Your point is NFL owners make money. I hear you loud and clear. That's not the challenge. It's what operational changes have have been made over the last decade with $nyder as owner. You must admit, firings followed by flashy free agents, a parade of coaches, bad press that is an embarrassment to all fans, and last but not least, LOSING. LAST PLACE.NFC EAST. Nothing has changed except the faces. And all these folks have one thing in common. $nyder takes your money and hands it to them, after he takes his cut.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Redskin fan since 1966. 44 years of good times and bad ones as well. But losing isn't so much the point here. It's how this moron $nyder has ruined any form of pleasure derived from Sunday afternoons watching the Redskins. Not to mention any dignity in being a Redskins fan. Trash my concept of a boycott all you want. Needless to say, the past 10 years of $nyder football has reached it's pinnacle, as the Redskins have bottomed out. More of the same, coming up. As some posters say, BOOK IT!

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Packers are a community owned non-profit team. There you go.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 2:09 PM |

And their Chairman and CEO is that old union rabble-rouser and former Skins player Mark Murphy. Slowest safety that ever played the game. Pissed off Gibbs 1.0 more than LaVar pissed off 2.0.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Packers are a community owned non-profit team. There you go.

Posted by: p1funk | June 19, 2010 2:09 PM |

And their Chairman and CEO is that old union rabble-rouser and former Skins player Mark Murphy. Slowest safety that ever played the game. Torked off Gibbs 1.0 more than LaVar torked off 2.0.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Very sad...RIP Manute Bol.

Posted by: will_ga | June 19, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What gives with RI? Post 1 gets held so you tone it down and go with Post 2 and low and behold they both get posted at the same time, albeit with different time stamps? Sheesh.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about Manute Bol passing away.

Posted by: hessone | June 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Cycling's governing body says it will perform tests at this year's Tour de France to ensure that racers are not cheating by using motors hidden in their bicycle frames.

Them bikers will leave no stone unturned in seeking out new ways to cheat.

Posted by: ItsaFact | June 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope they're boycotting the BP gas stations along the way.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 19, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

JAMMAL BROWN BEING TRADED TO SKINS -- deal thought NOT to include Haynesworth.

C'mon, RI, get us the scoop! Thanks!

Posted by: HenryStin | June 19, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

new orleans OT jammal brown traded to rdskins

Posted by: dexter72 | June 19, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | June 19, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

How many picks?!!

Posted by: Salinas1 | June 19, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Guess T Williams will start at RT, then transition to LT in a couple years, and provide some LT insurance in case Brown goes down this year?

Posted by: Salinas1 | June 19, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

w00t. That is all.

Posted by: will_ga | June 19, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Where were these illustrious 'DADS' when the NFL agreed, with full disclosure, to have Registered Child Sex Offender Pete Townshend play for 'family' audiences in Superbowl half-time show??? yeah we all know how much the NFL supports their daughters- and sons. B.S.
You sent your message loud and clear- kids don't matter- only your revenues.

Posted by: appollo10 | June 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse