Fourth quarter: Redskins 42, Bills 17

The Bills showed some life in the fourth quarter, well after the Redskins had built an insurmountable lead.

The final quarter began with John Beck under center and the Redskins offense continued struggling. A porous offensive line didn't help as John McCargo sacked Beck from behind for an eight-yard loss on third and 12 to bring out the punt unit.

The struggles persisted on the other side of the ball for the Redskins, as well. After Naaman Roosevelt returned the punt for 23 yards, the Bills began their drive on the 35-yard line. After a short Ryan Fitzpatrick pass to Donald Jones went for seven yards, running back Joique Bell bounced to outside for a 28-yard touchdown -- the Bills' second long run in minutes. The touchdown and Rian Lindell extra point made it 35-17.

With Rich Bartel inactive tonight because of injury, Beck was back under center for the Redskins on their drive. This time, the team's newest member was able to lead the offense down the field, going two for three for 27 yards. But he saw constant pressure again, taking a sack in the drive's second play. The drive stalled after Beck's pass to Shay Hodge fell incomplete on third and 5.

Josh Bidwell's punt pinned the Bills deep in their own territory after Ramzee Robinson barely stayed out of the end zone and downed the ball at the Buffalo two-yard line.

The Redskins defense held serve, only surrendering a Chad Simpson four-yard run before Brian Moorman launched a 64-yard punt, which Terrence Austin returned for 22 yards.

On the ensuing drive, Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams combined for seven carries as the Redskins marched 48 yards down the field for another touchdown. Williams capped the series off with a seven-yard touchdown run -- his second of the night -- which wrapped up the night's scoring at 42-17 following Graham Gano's point after. Williams carried the ball four times for 20 yards, while Torain had three carries for 27 yards on the drive. In all, Torain had 17 carries for 62 yards and Williams ran 11 times for 51 yards.

Lendy Holmes put exclamation point on the blowout with an interception.

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 13, 2010; 10:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Third quarter: Redskins 35, Bills 10
Next: Haynesworth speaks, likes new defense

Comments

Posted by: bcarothers | August 13, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Welll, ALRIGHTY, THEN!!!

Posted by: frak | August 13, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

There is still a looong way to go 'til Dall-@ss. Let's keep it together.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 13, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little concerned about Beck. Miami let him go because he had a low delivery and they felt he had too many balls batted down at the line.

I counted 3 batted balls.

Also, loving Banks taking it to the house.

Zeke - I think you and I can scratch a lot of things off that list. Over all, pretty good showing and NO big injuries.

Too bad we didn't get a look at Capers or Cooke

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

42 - 17 against the Bills...

In pre-season...

Super Bowl here we come!!!

Posted by: WRBD | August 13, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

effort? check
enthusiasm? check

a good start for the first preseason game
I'll not make too much of it,
but I'll remain encouraged none the less.

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 13, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about Beck. He's the 3rd stringer, if we get to that point, the season is done anyway.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

anyone feeling medium?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Gotta find a way for Banks and Austin to fit into the WR Corps, Keenan..Micro-Banks is comical blowing past would-be tacklers..Another Dante Hall??

O-Line is much improved, HALLELUIA, THANK YOU, JESUS!!! Trent looked great, overall a great performance by the offense..When was the last time you looked up at a 42 beside WSH??? sweet and PROPER..

Skins might not need Westbrook, but he might be excited by the buzz around here..Torain and Mclvane (i think) are right up there with Portis and Johnson..Parker's lack of touches looks like he's movin' on...

HTTR!!!!!

Posted by: frak | August 13, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 11:05 PM |

I was hoping he would push Grossman a little more. Splitting hairs here, so not too worried about it.

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd say this, but Heyer looked sort of decent in there. Didn't get anybody killed or anything.

So....he looked ok against scrubs.

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Damn, see? There goes CSN with the serial killer image again--oh, wait, that's live video and that's the way he looks. Never mind.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

F medium. I feel good. Need to keep the Wolf's famous words in mind and not get carried away, but overall, tonight did not suck. Agree Ravens will present a stiffer test.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@ frak

Keep it together. I am a skeptic this year.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 13, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

With Coffee retiring in SFO, I'd love to scalp a draft pick for Fast Willie.

Makes me wonder: where was LJ tonight????

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Makes me wonder: where was LJ tonight????

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan post-game: Wanted to see his backs get into a rhythm, not get 3-4 runs and then come out. Didn't hear him say when they'll play, but that was the plan for tonight.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Shanny said we will see more from LJ and Parker next week.

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Last year's first preseason game was a 23-0 loss. This year 42-17 win.

Preseason games mean squat except for trends.

Last year we couldn't move the ball, couldn't keep our quarterbacks off their backs, couldn't make first downs, couldn't return punts for touchdowns, couldn't intercept the ball, and couldn't make third downs.

One year removed from the "couldn't" team.

Once again, adults are running this team and the team looked poised, professional, and kept scoring. Yes, this was Buffalo, but we all know that last year we played "only Detroit" and lost!

Hail to the Redskins. Fans can come out of hiding and live another day without being embarrassed. I'm impressed with the overall effort from the team and the post game interviews are quite a contrast from the cluelessness that permeated every pore of the team.

Posted by: laserwizard | August 13, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RLB.

Listening now to 980 via web feed. Shanny is next, I may have a significant delay in the feed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Notice how there are no D-bag cowpatties posting smack up here tonight - in case you're wondering where that smell went...

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

anyone feeling medium?

Posted by: zcezcest1

Now that was funny!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 13, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the dvr. Not a bad start. Preseason is meaningless but it's always good to look good.
On a slightly related topic, I'd like to assemble a broadcast booth featuring Larry Michael doing play by play and Thiesman as the color guy. Then I'd like to push it off a cliff.

Posted by: mack1 | August 13, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

It's preseason, but I like getting used to scoring regularly.

Thought Rob Jackson and Anderson Russell punched their tickets out of town tonight.

Perry Riley impressive.

Banks is a natural, he's here for sure.

Keiland and Ryan sealed Willie's fate? He'll have to show up against the jets to get a job...not!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 13, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Despite all the love, we gotta look at how poorly the the first team defense did considering how easily marshawn lynch ran on them. The Bills didn't really have their heart in this one, it seems.
This defense situation has me worried.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

@ frak

Keep it together. I am a skeptic this year.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake

Yeah, yeah, Hey!! Skepticism can be a necessary survival trait, but so can Faith..Having a decent QB and a decent offensive line is looking positive, though..Let's hope Jamaal Brown can go against the vaunted Raven D ("so what, its preseason", yeah, ok)..McNabb looks like the best QB we've had in decades, regardless..

Posted by: frak | August 13, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

MM, I liked the way the D responded in the second/third Bills possessions. Not optimal, but they finished very well after the rough start.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

This defense situation has me worried.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 11:38 PM

Don't worry, be happy. Maybe miracle whip will help?

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 13, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Yeah, but like Theismann said about that first series, from DTs fumble of the opening kickoff on, the Skins were wound up too tight, the Bills sensed it and took advantage with misdirection when they got the ball and moved around the charging Skins..Skins D will be fine...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Skins D will be fine...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 14, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

It took the Skins 5 games to score more than 42 points last year...

Posted by: siris | August 14, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder should never be allowed to do another interview.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 14, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Seems like Campbell is in regular season mode for the Raiders. Lots of check downs, 3 drives, no points.

Must be the new system, or is it the O-line?

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | August 14, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

The defense had me concerned at first, but then they showed the defense reactions in a replay from the offenses' pov. I saw the eyes of our defenders and I could tell they were thinking about where they needed to be or still watching their keys after the ball was snapped, instead of just reacting. I think more time at game speed will help with that.

Shanny needs to make a tackling test for D-Hall, one on one against Sellars, and tell him he can't practice with the team until passes it. Make Carlos Rogers pass a double move test against Banks, and if he fails that, tell him not to worry about signing his tender.

B-more coming in excites me. We'll know for sure where we stand then. They're better on both sides of the ball than Buffalo. One thing, I didn't like though, was how careless Sexy Rexy is with the football. For all that's he' been through in his career, you'd think he'd learned to be more careful and professional with the ball. The TD to Davis, would have been a pick six if it was against a decent team.

Posted by: clark202 | August 14, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

anyone feeling medium?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 11:05 PM

I bet JC17 is feeling pretty medium right about now after watching what a REAL O Line looks like.

It's still early I tell myself, but MAN, it's been a long time since I've see a QB have 5, 6, 6, 8 seconds to throw on 3rd down. I hope it looks like this when the D is blitzing.

And Trent Williams needs to get in shape. Haynesworth would run circles around him.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 5:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | August 13, 2010 11:33 PM |

Or how about a live Fight To The Death, Winner exiled to Siberia, between the two of them to benefit the charity of your choice?

lol

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

B-more coming excites me.

Posted by: clark202 | August 14, 2010 1:53 AM

I'd have to say you're a real fan.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse