Fred Davis is not producing as much as expected

After all the talk about the Redskins' plans to use both of their pass-catching tight ends -- Chris Cooley and Fred Davis -- things have not developed as some envisioned early in the season.

Cooley, fully recovered from the fractured ankle that cut short his 2009 season after seven games, has re-emerged as one of the most productive players in the league at his position, catching 23 passes for 303 yards (a 13.2-yard average) and two touchdowns so far this season. The seven-year veteran, second on the team in receptions behind wide receiver Santana Moss, quickly developed on-field chemistry with quarterback Donovan McNabb and is a key performer in Coach Mike Shanahan's offense.

And then there's Davis.

He had a team-leading six touchdown receptions in 2009 while filling in well for Cooley. After initially stirring concern as a rookie because of his immaturity, Davis last season displayed the talent that prompted the Redskins to select him with their second pick in the 2008 draft.

Some in the new regime believe Davis possesses Pro Bowl-caliber ability, but he has not been a big part of the offense to this point. The third-year player has only three receptions for 73 yards. And one of his receptions covered 62 yards.

Some of Davis's teammates thought he would have been more involved in the offense, "and I kind of thought that, too," Davis said Thursday at Redskins Park. "I kind of had that thought in my mind. But then I thought about all the two-tight end sets that I've seen where guys are catching a lot of balls.

"Usually, one guy blocks and the other one is catching the balls. The guy who blocks a lot might get a ball here or there. I mean, I didn't expect too much. Well, I kinda did at first. But then I was like, 'You know what? If I expect that, then I'm gonna be over here disappointed. So I went into the season just trying to do whatever my job is and they need me to."

Davis is only in his third season, but that is little comfort to him because "in the NFL, you're never early in your career. Your career can end so quickly. Your career can end on one play. I just want to play, man. I watch other guys, and I'm like, 'Man, I can do better than this guy I watch or this other guy. But you have to wait your turn sometimes. Right now, I'm waiting."

It seems Davis is far behind Cooley, a two-time Pro Bowler who pushed himself to return at a higher level after being injured. And Cooley, who has a base salary of $2.325 million this season, is among the league's highest-paid tight ends. Davis, still working under his rookie contract, has a 2010 base salary of $470,000.

"I can't have any feeling about" the situation, Davis said. "Really. In this league you can't. Once you start having feelings, and you get sensitive about the business, you just can't do that.
"You just got to deal with it and keep working hard. You've got Chris Cooley, a guy who's gone to the Pro Bowl, he makes a lot of money, you got to play him. So it is the way it is...I've just got to catch every ball I get and block everything perfect."

By Jason Reid  | October 14, 2010; 12:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams expects to play against Colts
Next: Rocky McIntosh says he's fine. But go ask coach

Comments

FIRST to say DUH!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Doug Dutch says Ravens practice is harder than the Redskin's practices. Is that the greatest RI article of all time??

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | October 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I didn't expect to see as much of Fred Davis as we did when Cooley was hurt... that's just common sense. Not a slight on Davis.

I love the way Macca has spread the ball around to a lot of receivers... though I would like it if some of the passes that have gone Mike Sellers' way had been directed at Davis instead.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

That's right...hessone isn't invited...so what's your call on this weeks game?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, really busy today!

Yeah, hessone couldn't keep up with us...Of course I want us to win, but with us facing one of the best QB's of all time and with us still having so many holes on this team, it'll be tough. If we can get some pressure on him and be in it in the 4th Quarter we just might pull it off.
After calculating all of this, I have come up with a score:

Redskins 24
Colts 20

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Some in the new regime = sources close to the team = some players

reid, get a grip and start naming some sources so we know what you're printing is true and factual

FDavis is a 2008 2nd round disappointment if judging by this year. yes he had an impact last year after cooley was injured, and he's our #2 TE. I'm going to stick with SHOW ME SOMETHING for know

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey why not cut him so Carolina can try him out!

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he might be on the Devin Thomas plan.

Posted by: Zornado | October 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

racist POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:22 PM |

Interesting observation. Apparently, this blog is the only place on the planet where I am considered a racist, rapist, murderer, kidnapper, gay basher and pedophile all rolled into one.

My response? I cannot even think of one that's worth thinking about.

Here's what I see, honestly:

The majority here are fairly interested in commenting on the latest threads relative to the goings-on with the Redskins. Since the threads are few and far between as far as blogs go, this blog devolves more into commeting on comments, fact-checking, hair splitting and slinging insults at those who disagree.

Dude, I am all for that and if you read me regularly, there can't be many as thoughtful or insightful as I effort to be when putting forth my offerings.

I get the same lame comments as anyone if I am even one degree off from what one of the more sensitive-types in here post. The only difference is that I see most of those people as so utterly retarded and unhappy with their lives that what ever I say back to them needs to be shocking else they just won't comprehend my personal disgust with them and/or their ancillary take which is almost 100% taken and written out of the appropriate context.

So, all in all, I am going to continue to check in here every so often and post my offerings accordingly and for those really sad folks that either can't take a joke or take this entirely too seriously, I will aim to perpetuate my being a thorn in your side. And, since it bugs you so much, the odds are (to the doosh bags of this blog), the odds are that you few ARE broke, unattractive, jobless and either living with your mother or in some dilapidated dwelling in serious need or repair. Even though this place is forgotten the nanosecond I minimize or close this window, while I am here I enjoy a great deal of pleasure stomping you and grinding you into the ground like the cockroaches you are.

Owned.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas out, Fred Davis in as player whose lack of involvement in the offense will be over analyzed.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

After calculating all of this, I have come up with a score:

Redskins 24
Colts 20

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:35 PM |

Redskins 35
Colts 31

McN to AA = TD washington redskins

that should seal the deal

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton holds the all time rushing record for the Sugar Bowl gaining 204 yards in the 2006 match against Georgia.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 24
Colts 20

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:35 PM

Very interesting prediction...are you sure you don't need more time to think about it?...crunch some more numbers?...talk to a few coaches and players?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Cooley is trade bait.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 19, 2010 5:44 PM

You're a blithering moron.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2010 5:45 PM |

You're a fagggot niggger. Any other comments?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 19, 2010 5:49 PM

Hey, No_Punt_Intended! You denying that you posted this? You denying that you're a racist homophobe?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 3:21 PM |

Let's not forget that after that he went on to talk about how he kidnapped, raped and then cut my mothers throat. He's a high class guy that drives a fine German luxury car and lives in Georgetown. What a joke of a human being. His mommy shoulda let him run down her leg or flushed him. Unlike him I never claimed to be high class.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 3:25 PM |

dude, I stand in line with the folks on this board that think you're a racist pig

ITA

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Some in the new regime = sources close to the team = some players

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Some in the new regime = sources close to the team = some players = Reid made it up

There, fixed it for ya!

Also, is it Davis's fault for being the disappointment, or is it the fault of the coaches for the fact that he hasn't been on the field as much? Let's face it, they haven't exactly made good on their promise of stretching the field with both TE's at the same time. When both have been in there at the same time usually 1 stays to block. And when Davis is usually targeted, it's been short stuff other than the long one he did catch and the one he didn't.

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton ran a 10.7-100m in HS.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 12:28 PM

Then he fumbled the baton.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 14, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

NPI...

When you post slurs like the "N word" and the "F word" you leave little room for interpretation. You are a coward hiding behind the Intarweb, nothing more, but maybe a lot less.

You are one of the only people in the world obtuse enough to not understand that dropping slurs like you have is not funny, not creative and not acceptable.

This will be the last time I ever respond to you or read your drivel, but in parting let me give you some sage advice from a great football coach of yesteryear:

"Self praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and always be humble."

Best of luck...

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

WVU vs VT: 28-22-1

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

James Hardy, former 1st rd pick of the Bills getting a workout with the Bengals. I woulda thought the skins coulda taken a look at him. He was know as a big,fast,playmaking wr coming out of college.........oh wait that's right the skins don't want that type pf WR. S/O to Santana Moss and his 4 drops on sunday including what would've been a 1st half TD .

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I think they've been busy pass blocking out of that formation. CCooley's hanging tough. FDavis had a nice pass sail over his head in the philly game I believe. if he adjust to that throw, it goes for a long gain. hope he can get open and make some plays though

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Nah, crunchin numbers is for NERDS! I'll go with old faithful, 24-20.

Lots of anger and hatred today, I think it has carried over from yesterday when that pycho whose never missed a home game gave you his seat number, you write that down?

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Did Davis or Cooley go to Hell Week?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"I've just got to catch every ball I get and block everything perfect." --- Fred Davis

That includes blocking on FG formations! No wonder you haven't been as involved as you'd like...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 14, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Lots of anger and hatred today

nah, just transparency and truth monk

play, how do you crunch numbers ?

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Nah, crunchin numbers is for NERDS! I'll go with old faithful, 24-20.

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:57 PM

Well its good to see you have finally jumped on to the 24-20 bandwagon! haha

I told everyone to get a good night sleep last night...guess they didn't listen...I think its time for hessone's nap.

Do you think there is any way that DORK gave me his real seat numbers? No way. Prob have me beating up some elderly couple a few rows down.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

If Davis is the real deal they won't be able to keep him out of the playbook often. As McNabb gets more comfortable with checking down his receivers, he'll get to Davis. Davis has to repay that faith by catching balls - even if it means making athletic catches or grabbing the ball when you know you are getting a big time hit. I recall two times he has dropped balls this year. On one of them, it would have been an athletic catch, but hey, he's an athlete. If the ball hits your hands, you've got to make the catch - especially if you're in FD's place where you are going to get limited opportunities.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

play, how do you crunch numbers ?

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:03 PM

It's easy hess...you drop all of the numbers that you collect into the top of the number crunching machine...turn it on...wait about 60 seconds...and a ticket pops out with the final score printed on it...it's cool...you should get one.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate Shanahan as the coach, but with an offense that has exactly one playmaker (Moss) and two decent receivers (Cooley & Armstrong), not playing guys with actual talent like Davis and Thomas because of personality conflicts or perceived lack of professionalism is killing this team. The offense does not score enough points, the defense plays way too much because the offense can't stay on the field and we are not playing guys who can help because the new coach doesn't think they are "his kind of players".

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that bothers me more than a racial slur............

The pathetic weak minded losers that let words hurt them!!! Boo hoo let me email ya box of tissues cry baby!

The bottom line is anyone on this post could spew any hate filled garbage right at me and it would NOT bother me in the least.

Why???? Because I don't care what any last one of you think!

Get thicker skin!! My god!!.... Children!

Posted by: skins91r | October 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter who you have running routes...we haven't been getting consistent o-line play. Plus penalties on 2nd/3rd downs are almost always drive killers.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

play, how do you crunch numbers ?

forget that one play

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Davis got our field goal blocked and then he misplayed a perfect bomb for a TD last week against Green Bay.

Now, he's in the media crying about money and playing time?

How's Carolina looking at TE? Or should I say "second string TE?"

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Get thicker skin!! My god!!.... Children! = C-R-A-N-K-Y

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins91r | October 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Who said they were hurt by words posted here? I can't recall anyone saying anything like that.

All I see is an idiot showing his ass and people calling him out for what he is.... a racist hate-filled corn tassler.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

..damn howling banshees..I'll say it again, both Cooley and Davis are decent tight-ends, but we sh*tsure could use a Yoder/Warren blocking TE, particularly during hellfire assaults like last week..So we got two starting-capable receiving TE's (again, the Ghost Of Vinnie moans low), maybe we should trade Davis to Carroll and the Seahawks for a 4th or 5th of Jameson's , and a Japanese cheerleader to be named later (I was looking for butt of cheerleader in the meat aisle, but they were all out-Damn!!)..

Posted by: frak | October 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday I got called a "circle jerkin bum"...monk did too...I laughed.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse"

You're so unwittingly pathetic, it's repugnant how obtuse you are. It's clear that you're an educated person, but educated articulation doesn't equal intellectual capacity. Your morally and intellectually bankrupt persona combined with the puerile hubris of a scorned adolescent repulses anybody and everybody that comes across you - at least in regards this blog.

Something tells me the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with respect to your real life persona.

Go ahead and respond with false bravado about your German luxury car, NW DC home, 6 figure paycheck, or whatever else you paste pictures of on your mirror as you masturbate to your own reflection.

Nobody gives a sh**

By the way, nobody took your homophobic racism out of context. That's all you, homeboy. Backpedal all you want; all it does is add "two-faced coward" to your already glowing character.

Back to ITA.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Going back to last week, I felt there were only 2 games on our schedule that’d I’d be surprised if we won. GB and the Colts. Well, I was surprised at the GB result. In the process, it occurred to me that with all the injuries and mistakes, GB simply wasn’t everything I thought it was. Are the Colts? They are similar to GB. Great QB, great receivers, great pass rusher, not much in the way of a run game. Like GB, they are also hit hard by injuries.

Peyton and Rodgers are both elite QBs. Neither team has had much success running the ball, both have had injuries to their starting RB. Neither is good at stopping the run. Indy and GB defenses are 27th and 28th respectively in yds/carry. GB has been among the best against the pass, Indy below average, mostly due to GB success in QB sacks.

Oh yes, turnovers? Indy’s defense has 7, GB 8. The Skins defense? 8. Given how similar GB and Indy appear, perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised if the Skins win, at home, on Sunday.

Still, what separates the Colts is that Peyton makes very few mistakes. Across the league, about 1 out of every 10 pass plays results in either a sack or an INT. Not with Peyton. He leads the league in int% (

How to play the Colts? On defense, rush 4, with Orakpo over the weak link. Use blitzes rarely. We won’t get to Peyton much because he’ll get rid of it quickly, but they’ll still need to double up on Orakpo. Have the DL get their hands up, a tipped pass or two is the sort of thing that can be the difference. On offense, stay balanced (which we struggle to do) and don’t turn it over (which we’ve been good at doing).

A lot of people think we need long drives to keep the ball out of Peyton’s hands and keep it close. True enough. But as I pointed out last week, our defense is on the field much too much – more than any team in the league. Indy has run the 3rd most plays of any team. Not a good combo. Peyton vs a tired defense, even worse combo. Big plays are great, but sustained drives are more likely to win games vs Indy.

And before I run off, penalties. Hail!!! We’ve won that battle in 4 of 5 games and average 29 fewer penalty yards/game than the opposing team. Its not just the yards, penalties are often the key to whether a drive continues or ends. I know we’ve had a few critical/costly penalties against us, but overall, we’re doing well in forcing penalties and making relatively few ourselves.

We’ve got a decent chance to win this game -- I’m surprised I’m writing that this week.

That a wrap on ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, naturally, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 1:08 PM
===============================================

Davis isn't getting as many passes because he is playing the role of the blocking TE while Cooley is playing the role of the pass catching TE.

If Cooley gets hurt, Davis become the pass catching TE.

That scenario is entirely different from Devin Thomas who couldn't even get on the field in 4 WR sets.

Not one ever accused Coach Gibbs of killing the team because he threw more passes to (Washington Senate Candidate) Clint Didier than to Donnie Warren.

good grief!

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | October 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Nobody gives a sh**

Back to ITA.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

^^^^
Owned!
Now can we talk Redskins and ignore idiots?

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's all remember here that in four of our games we've faced the leagues best pass rushers.

We've been forced to keep him as a check blocker win the two TE sets. If anything, I think it speaks to his willingness to do what ever it takes.

He'll get his due.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Edvar posted this last night in reference to peabrain, but it applies as well to NPI and a few of the other low lifes who persist up here:
.............................................................

I've always wondered why people like peabrain continue to seek out the company of groups who openly disrespect them and heap abuse on them.

Is it just to annoy? Like some perverse, passive-aggressive form of power?

Are they so deluded and arrogant as to think that somehow they will win the groups' respect back through perseverance? Or worse, do they think the group secretly does like them and is just kidding when they constantly humiliate them?

Do they crave attention so badly that the continuous insults and disrespect they receive are a better alternative than the loneliness it replaces?

Are they so dense that they simply cannot take a hint?

Have they resolved themselves to the sad reality that hiding behind their keyboard and annoying others is the only way they will ever come even remotely close to having any form of power and control?

Or are they just too proud and stupid to simply go away?

It's like the fat, ugly, obnoxious kid on the playground in grade school who desperately wants to hang out with the regular guys, but knows they will never accept him, so instead he hangs on the perimeter and flicks boogers at them so they will beat him up - because at least that way, they are spending time with him.

Posted by: edvar | October 13, 2010 11:18 PM |

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 1:08 PM

but we're in first place !!!!

much rather see a player earn the right to play than one who thinks his sh!t doesn't stink

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Back to ITA.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

just sayin'

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

PPS, he said back to ITA, i.e, psps was ignoring him, psps stopped ignoring him to blast him in response to his latest missive, now psps is back to ignoring him. No irony there.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

pocketsstr8

"Back to ITA",

hence the reference which allows such a comment to occur

point is, ITA

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"It's ironic that you direct an entire post at someone you are supposedly ignoring.

just sayin'

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse"

It's a slow day for posters. When it's busier, I normally completely disregard this blogger.

Plus, that's why I said back to ITA. Temporary lapse by me.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

We need a moment of clarity.

Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas just should not have been drafted by a team with aging offensive linemen.

And now, with a new group of people running thangs, their lack of functionality is glaringly apparent.

Yes, Kelly has been hurt.

But what evidence do we have that he's all that anyways?

He wasn't a full time starter last year, and there was no reason to truly expect him to be a major player this year.

Thomas and his modeling/acting career are gone, Kelly injured, and Davis underutilized: these guys are three amigos who just should not have been redskins.

I mean, our 2nd round tight end is essentially a blocker: how did that happen?

I dunno.

Maybe extended time by real football coaches has revealed that Fred ain't all that and a bag of chips.

Maybe with Cooley in the house, Fred is just too much of what we already have.

What's clear is that VCerrato over-reached when he drafted him.

Maybe the truth of it all will hit the fanbase the day Shanahan reaches for the trade/release button.

And Davis is gone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 1:45 PM

No, doesn't work. If he was ignoring him in the first instance, then he wouldn't have responded to a post. So his "ignoring" means nothing. He can't now go back to "ignoring."

If you're ignoring, you have to ignore always and forever. I've never ignored you, nor you me. Okay, I did once.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Well he clearly took sometime to read NPI's multi-paragraphed post.

Not something you usually do when you're ignoring someone. I'd guess that he's not ignoring NPI at all or else he is just that good at choosing what posts to selectively respond to.

Not trying to pick on psps. Just a thought on how ITAs getting thrown around. "just so you know, I've been ignoring you"

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Another really stupid pick by Vinnie, 2nd round pick for a TE when we have a Pro Bowl TE already.

Face it, Davis is just not better than Cooley. He is also a really awful blocker.

Posted by: btgo | October 14, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had a carb in 4 years..

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 1:51 PM

It's a problem. If you're I'ing and A, then you want him to know you're I'ing him. But since he's an A, he probably can't figure it out himself. But, like you say, if you tell him, you're not I'ing him.

Maybe you should tell a third party? "Hey, Diesel44, I'm ignoring pabrant. Are you ignoring him too?" Does that work?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis has a big day against Indy. That Tampa-2 defense is adept at stopping the big play through the air, but they leave themselves vulnerable in the seams. Look for a great TE2 outing from Davis. I'm thinking 30-40 yards and a TD.

Book it.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

moe

Yes, Kelly has been hurt.

But what evidence do we have that he's all that anyways?

we have no evidence whatsoever

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas and his modeling/acting career are gone...

...and MK12 will see the same fate

I mean, our 2nd round tight end is essentially a blocker...

... and not a very good blocker at that

What's clear is that VCerrato over-reached when he drafted him...

... and the rest of the 2008 draft class

thanks moe for the forum

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow is Moe's Mental Health Day.

Others will work while the Annoying One spends the day in bed reading or watching some gay-lame foriegn sub-titled film.

Yes: it sucks being a closet intellectual.

So let's take a look into a weekend where Yankee Baseball and Redskins v. Colts is all that's really important:

Ohio State v. Wisc.

Auburn V. Arkansas

Texas v. Nebraska

Baltimore v. NE

Atlanta v. Philthy

Kansas City v. Texas

..and of course,

Indy v. Washington

We won't be foolish and picks the colts to win, but anybody what got sense knows a injury to TWill or JBrown is more problems than we'd ever want.

The redskins defense/special teams will win the game--again--for the team.

HTTR

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 1:50 PM

You have a crush on me don't you old man? Ignoring someone doesn't have to be permanent. And it certainly does not mean you don't see and hear the things that a person does. It simply means you're not responding to that person's words/actions until you stop ignoring him/her.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had a carb in 4 years..

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 1:58 PM |

What's the problem? Can't buy carbs with food stamps?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM |

Plus when we finally did go OL after the receiver bender the pick was a bigger bust than a pole dancer's chest.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM

Curious as to who the stud LG-C-RG that were available in round 2 of 2008 for the Skins? It seems to me that the 2nd round class of that year was poo-poo for just about any position. I could be wrong.

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM |

it's facts like these that make you want to cry, or maybe even hang out in a rubber room for an hour or so

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

You have a crush on me don't you old man?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:01 PM

Crush, no. But I like your style and admire your tenacity in arguing a point even when you know you're wrong.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 1:51 PM

Gotcha. And just so you know, this made me chuckle.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign, Davis not a great blocker..Neithe r is Caveman..But I think Caveman is a special Teams brute, and the reason that Shanahan like to throw to him is for the sheer psyops terror tackling that beast presents..He plays better if you don't feed him his wildebeast beforehand..

Posted by: frak | October 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm more disappointed in Kyle's lack of creativity in getting Davis involved than I am in Davis himself.

This dude is NOT a blocking TE - as evidenced by some poor blocks we've seen already this year.

He is a really athletic pass-catching TE; and it's a bummer that we don't see more stuff with him around the red zone - where we are still kicking way too many FGs.

If we are running 2 TE sets, why not use Logan Paulsen as the blocking guy and split out Fred Davis as a receiver...esp since he'd basically be the only over-6ft WR on the roster?

Instead, Davis stays in to block and Anthony Armstrong runs the fade routes...

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM |

You're assuming that Vinny can draft better at those positions than he can at receiver. Chad Rinehart? If he'd actually drafted those positions, you might be posting today "Imagine if we'd gone WR-TE-WR ...."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

ryp

"Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08...We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all..."

Dingle-dingle-dingle-ling!!!!!

We have a winner!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We would have been hosed either way.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Fred, how about blocking on FG's/EP's. Slack @$$.

And you wonder why you aren't getting the time...

Posted by: urallimbeciles | October 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE GET HIM ON THE FIELD.. HE'D PLAY BETTER AT WIDE RECEIVER THAN THE GARBAGE OUT THERE NOW!

Posted by: aricxx123 | October 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

...your tenacity in arguing a point even when you know you're wrong.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:06 PM
------------------------------------------
In some circles they would just call this stubborn and stupid, but I like the way you said it better. I'm nominating this prose for a "bloggie".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:06 PM

You've got me confused with someone else. I will readily admit when I am wrong or proven so. If you're talking opinion, that's another matter. One's opinion is just that and the fact that others don't agree does not make it wrong (unless of course it is based on an incorrect premise).

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, sounds like something beantown would say in regards to DT11.

Do you think it's coaching decisions that are the problem p1 ? FD86 had a sure TD pass sail over his head because he didn't adjust to the throw. maybe coach has seen that play to many times in practice, who knows. facts show this 2008 draft class to be a non factor, right here, right now.

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if AH returned to practice today?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:17 PM
------------------------------------------
So, you're wrongly arguing the fact that you don't argue when you are wrong? It's a treat watching the banter between you and beep-beep...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps

a Rocky Mc. injury non-update

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure my wife is ITA'ing me. SKJ me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton went in the 3rd that year. Could have had him saved some trouble.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 14, 2010 2:17 PM

Okay, maybe it isn't you that I admire. Probably it's someone else. Never mind.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 14, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if AH returned to practice today?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 14, 2010 2:18 PM |

believe me, if he did JReid would be the first to let us know

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think they're saving Davis up for crucial games ahead..Use him as a broken play-Shannon Sharpe -deep threat..Broken plays (or those designed to look like them) really can mess a defense up, and we've got a decent broken play QB..

Posted by: frak | October 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had gone LG-C-RG instead of WR-TE-WR back in '08.....

We'd be a much better football team without hurting our WR corps at all....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We would have been hosed either way.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

True, PA.

Looking at the list there's no Olinemen of any particular note from the second round on down.

The only guy that stands out is Carl Nicks who went to NO in the 5th round. It says he was drafted as a tackle, but he plays guard. He looked like a beast in the NFL opener and was man-handling Pat Williams.

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The deal with Davis appears to be that when he knows he's starting, he'll put some effort into learning his place in the scheme and trying to make a few plays. But if he thinks he probably only has a limited (or no) role in this week's game, well then he tends to coast… and take it easy -- a sure fire recipe for NOT working yourself into the scheme for this week’s action.

Recall that Davis really didn't come around much at all last year—that is, until Cooley went down with the ankle injury and the discredited former coaching staff was sort of forced to take him on as a special project -- who needed lots of extra reps and a significant amount of hands on coaching to get ready for the next game.

Up until that point, most Redskin Outsiders had regarded him as an okay backup player who might generally do okay when pressed into limited service, but he was not the sort of guy who puts in a lot of extra effort and overtime into being ready just in case the first stringer goes down.

He also earned some criticism for not giving full attention to paying attention at team meetings, thoroughly learning the playbook -- or finding other ways to make himself useful.

And with lots of extra support and assistance, he honestly made a difference... and did a pretty good job of executing his assigned plays.

But that was last year...

… and don’t forget that Mike Shanahan broke down the tape on every play from last year… and for that matter, every play since.

Anyone can talk a good game, but the tape seldom deceives.

So now with Cooley back and doing well, and Davis apparently relegated back into a second-string role, we are left to wonder if the current coaching staff has the time, interest, patience and perseverance to bring Davis along yet again… and encourage him to embrace the opportunities he has been given... yet again. I also think that barring another major injury to Cooley, Davis will continue to have a very limited and shrinking role in the current scheme of things.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

""You just got to deal with it and keep working hard. You've got Chris Cooley, a guy who's gone to the Pro Bowl, he makes a lot of money, you got to play him. So it is the way it is.."

Fred, Cooley gets more passes because he's a much better player at this point not because of past accomplishments or his salary. Cooley has been a stud all year.

Posted by: nativedc | October 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

Before you start preaching to actual journalists, take a freaking Course. They are called "sources" because they are unnamed. They are unnamed because they don't want retribution and/or undo attention.

Many journalists have gone to jail protecting the identity of their sources. The only RI people who've who've been inside the Graybar Hotel are there for blowing chunks

Posted by: TheCork | October 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that a guy who led the team in touchdown receptions last year could have lost all ability to play to the point that he cannot contribute offensively except to block, which isn't his best attribute as evident by the blocked field goal vs the Texans.

If this team could actually score 20 pts a game on a regular basis I wouldn't care that Davis doesn't do squat or they cut DT11 to keep a couple of bums like Galloway or Roydell Williams. But they can't.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | October 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I feel ya 100% holmes. I dunno why folks act like our skins are sooooooooooo good right now that they couldn't use guys like DT11 or FD86. Devin's gone. I won't talk about him anymore, but Fred had 6 TDs last season. He obviously has skills, unless that was just evidence of great coaching by offensive mastermind Sherm Lewis. I don't wanna hear about how Fred shoulda caught that high pass in Philly. If that pass is thrown high to Cooley (like that out off his fingertips this past sunday) all I'm hearing about is DMC being an inaccurate passer.
Shanny is all about his guys. That's the bottom line if you're not one of "His guys" coming in, you'd better find a way into his good graces, because he's only playing the guys he likes (see Corey Lichtensteiger giving up 2 sacks while Dockery is deactivated). I'm glad we're winning now.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

No_Punt_Intended |

Real brave, calling a guy a racist slur on an internet blog. You have real balls dont you? Try calling the first gay black you see on the street or in your office those names then come back and tell us what happened next, then we all will be impressed.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

With Finley Out and Lee hurting at Greenbay, time to trade Davis and get our #2 pick back...GB needs a TE badly...

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

With Finley out in GB and their othet TE, Lee, hurting, time to trade Davis to Greenbay and get our # 2 pick back..

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Davis has been very effective. He's been blocking. TE production is not simply measured in catches, TDs, and recieving yards. They have to block, too.

So, what's the point of this artice?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 14, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED COOLEY 2 SEASONS AGO!!! DAVIS HAS SHOWN HE CAN CATCH THE BALL WHEN GIVEN THE CHANCES...and HES MUCH BETTER BLOCKER. TRADE COOLEY ASAP!!!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | October 14, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aricxx123 | October 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

He IS on the field.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 14, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: btgo | October 14, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Part of the reason the run game isn't picking up is, in addition to the offensive line, is inneffectice tight end blocking. If the blocking was better, I'd bet Williams or Simpson would be on the roster.

I say play Lorenzo Alexander at TE.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Fact is Davis is an awful pick. He can't block at all and has no outstanding attributes in his skill set that would set him above any of the journeymen in the league. Sure, when he gets the ball he can do things, but he doesn't get that many touches. He's not exceptional in any area and deficient in many others which is why Cooley gets the active role, and when Chris is out, the focus goes elsewhere and Davis is a secondary target. He's got no game.

Posted by: outrbnksm | October 14, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Please don't bother yourself worrying about pointing out the times you're wrong. That's what we're here for. For you, for me, for all of us.

Posted by: TheCork | October 14, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

JR -- that headline was beneath you (assuming you are a reputable journalist). Davis can only do what is asked and if the coach does not call plays for him and the QB does not throw to him, how is that his fault? Headline makes it seem like his low numbers are his fault (and they are not).

This guy is absolutely not Devin Thomas. He is a bona fide starter on most other teams in the NFL. JR -- don't be a donkey!

Posted by: buster5 | October 14, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

people dont forget that shanny and brucey were FIRED for making boneheaded personell moves,so this crap with thomas and davis should not suprise anyone.also,dont be mis-lead by our 3 dumbluck victories.if our opponents had not dropped td passes,and had td's called back for holding,then our story would be 1 and 4 or o and 5.shannys coaching has nothing to do with our wins,all that he has done so far is get rid of players who would out produce galloway and roynell(or whatever his name is) and take sucker dannys money!the inability to communicate with players he doesn't, like ,and his arrogant attitude,will be his undoing in washington

Posted by: billydee123 | October 14, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I had the most hope for Davis out of he, Thomas, and Kelly.

Posted by: sjp879 | October 14, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Skins should never have drafted Davis, had no need for him, have no use for his (limited) skill set. I'll bet anyone out there that he won't be on the team at this time next year. What a waste of a pick.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 14, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Its the coach, he walked in with a narrow focus, so young and maturing Thomas and Davis have no shot. They just need to be on a real NFL team. Heck he visions Joey Galloway mannin up against the best in the world at their positoin. Case closed.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | October 14, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Davis is a terrible blocker, thus a liability. (The blocked FG against Houston.)

Posted by: gmcclure1 | October 14, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Enough of all this stupid talk about FDavis being in the doghouse. Has anyone seen the O-line recently? Because if you did, you'd know Donovan has been sacked and rushed a few times.. With all the injuries and with Kory "The Speedbump", the run game hasn't been lighting up the field either.
I'm wondering if anyone will allow the Shanny's and the Redskins ANY time to gel? I guess we expect pefection out of them all the time.
Constant talk about not meeting expectations.... I thought this was a rebuilding year? Heck! Atleast give them a half season to get it together! Oh! I forgot! We are 3-2 and beat 3 playoff teams.

Posted by: fullbagg | October 15, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

TO WASHINGTON POST EDITORS:
"You're a blithering moron. Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 19, 2010 5:45 PM ...

"You're a fagggot niggger. Any other comments?... Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 19, 2010 5:49 PM"

I don't understand it. i write a cussword (a $ $) and the program rejects the content of my post for being "against the rules" or whatever. THIS bama, no_punt_intended, uses "the N-Word" and the gay word and his schmitt gets posted. WTF???

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 15, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcjazzman
~~~
Gooood point.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | October 15, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's proven himself over a number of seasons to be one of the better pass catching Tight Ends in the league. Davis is lucky he's getting any playing time as he really isn't that good a blocker.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 15, 2010 3:49 AM | Report abuse

So the point is, throw the ball to you, Fred, even though Chris is one of the most productive and reliable tight ends in the League and has "chemistry" with Donavon? Don't worry I'm sure you'll get your opportunity.

BTW the moderator must be asleep today regarding the ethnic and sexual orientation slurs posted previously. Shame on the Post, but of course you won't publish a cartoon which mentions the name Mohammad without even showing his image.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | October 15, 2010 4:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. I meant to say racial not ethnic in my previous post. But I think you know what I meant.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | October 15, 2010 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Why does JR and the Post always write about unhappy Redskins or players "they feel" should be playing more?!!!

Posted by: thorhero | October 15, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse