Fred Davis Misses Day 3 (Updated)

From JReid:

Rookie tight end Fred Davis, who missed the final practice of minicamp today, has met with Redskins personnel, according to someone familiar with the situation.
Davis spoke with Coach Jim Zorn, but we don't have any details about their conversation right now. We're still working to find out exactly what happened, but it appears Davis had a late night Saturday.
Earlier Sunday, Zorn said that, because the Redskins had not heard from Davis this morning, team security became involved.
"Either there was some real trouble and we needed to find him or he screwed up," Zorn said after practice. "I haven't even got to talk to him yet. I know he's been found; I believe it's more in the 'I screwed up' category."
That is also the way things appeared to Davis's brother, Kedran. "I haven't talked to him yet, but I talked to his roommate out there, and I'm not hearing anything to really be worried about," Kedran said in phone interview from Los Angeles. "Really, I'm assuming it's nothing bad because he always calls me if there's something wrong.
"And like I said, I haven't talked to him yet, but I know him. And knowing Frederick the way I do, he was probably just out late and he overslept, he probably just didn't hear the alarm. And I know he wasn't feeling too good the other day."
The team located Davis at some point during practice, Kedran said. "I know they know where he is, that's what I heard," he said. "He's supposed to go up there and talk to the coach. He could be up there right now. I'm sure that after he talks to them, he'll call me and let me know everything that's going on. But I really don't think it's anything bad."
The Redskins selected Davis with one of their three second-round picks - No. 48 overall - in the April 26-27 draft. As a senior at USC, where he finally thrived after being converted from a wide receiver to a tight end, Davis had a personal-best 62 receptions for 881 yards (a 14.2-yard average) and eight touchdowns. Davis, who holds all of the Trojans' season and career receiving records for tight ends, was the recipient of last season's Mackey Award, presented to college football's top tight end.
"Fred worked real hard to get to where he's at and he's going to work real hard for the Redskins," Kedran said. "I haven't heard anything that I'm worried about."

By Cindy Boren  |  May 4, 2008; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odds, Ends and Injuries
Next: In Portis v. Landry, Take Landry

Comments

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I used to be involved in hiring new workers and I found out pretty early that if they didn't show up for the *second* day of work, you'd have to start finding a replacement ASAP.

Posted by: Steve | May 4, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

HEY! this isn't positive newz!!!!!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hope was getting his car washed in Philly.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Did Ecker mess with his alarm? Did Yoder use the force on him?

or did we draft a dud....3rd day in wow...dude hasn't even signed a contract yet...maybe we should sign his brother to, he sounds more responsible!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

HEY! this isn't positive newz!!!!!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:36 PM

Ahhhhh....but it's spin free. Big difference. JLC would already be making the doomsday conclusions.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

And so it begins....

Posted by: 7-9 | May 4, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

thanks Capt. Anon, what would we do without you....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This is more negative spin by the Washington Post beat writers. Every other guy shows up on time, and they focus on the one guy who didn't. So much hate up here.

Look, the guy's just flown in from California. Probably didn't even adjust his watch. Do they want him to report for work at 5:00 am?

He showed up on time by his watch. Why couldn't they have just had some extra coffee and bagels while they waited for him? The team is so inflexible. Chill out, Zorn, you're West Coast yourself. In a West Coast offense, why should it matter if you're three hours late?

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 4, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

a. I hope this kid is ok...

B. this really is troubling, to have the draft negatives confirmed on day 3? Will be interesting/potentially depressing to see how this plays out.

c. maybe he is just a dopey kid...

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Awww....he probably met a nice girl last night. lol

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The news says he was shot by Marvin Harrison, but the hit was ordered by Pacman Jones.

The Cowboys are always trying to get us...

I am sure all will be forgiven.

Posted by: ssh1549 | May 4, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

this was factual, not jaded by opinion, sorry you're too slow to get that

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

wtf. vinny should have adjusted his draft board to include dudes who drink too much and can't wake up for his 3rd day of work. wow just wow.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Davis's tardiness proves, once again, that Snyder and Cerrato drafted the wrong guys at the wrong positions and selected the wrong coach. This would never have happened in the days of Coach Gibbs or Coach Schottenheimer...

Posted by: Jason La Canfora (not) | May 4, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

chris larrY go hide in your corner with Donkeys & Cabbage, boy.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

lighten up already Captain Anon, it was a joke....jeesh...maybe it wasn't funny I have been told many times I am not funny.....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

you're not

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Not even a little bit.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

duly notes Capt Anon, duly notes....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, someone is impersonating Capt. Anon.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

There can be only ONE!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous Highlander | May 4, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

whats donkeys and cabbage mean?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Have a nice sunday everyone, going to enjoy a nice Burro three way and some savory cole slaw...

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Richard Gere runs a Donkey & Cabbage Ranch just outside of Tulsa.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

All the Extreme Skins rejects should lay off Chris Larry. He is only pointing out obvious concerns that any normal person would have. Davis was drafted with some "minor" character issues. This tardiness may be nothing or a possible confirmation of the character issues.

I wonder how many of you have been late to work on your second day?

If any of you had an employee late on his second day, regardless of the excuse, you would be a little unnerved.

Posted by: 7-9 | May 4, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow. So this is what life's like without Jason's negative spin? Nice, since I am, after all, able to come to my own conclusions about the state of the team.

Posted by: Dave | May 4, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason La Canfora (not) | May 4, 2008 12:45 PM

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | May 4, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

glad to know no one is taking this seriously and making jokes about it. i read the thread and i was waiting for the bashing to start.

we all remember ST had issues like this as a rookie... heck his third year he was ignoring gibbs phone calls, but he brought it on gameday and thats all i care about.

i'm sure fred's agent probably told him to pull a stunt like this. this is probalby the first step in negotiating a shorter contract or something. i mean, if i were the #1 tight end in the draft and i was drafted by a team with a pro-bowl tight end, i wouldnt be very happy either.

this will all get worked out. my hope is that we can trade davis before his rookie contract expires and get some value out of him.

Posted by: talkshowhost | May 4, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The item is updated...

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Head Coaching, Zornie.

This may not be a big deal to Davis, but it's a Big deal for Zorn.

He's got to put a Velvet Hammer down. He's got to show the team who's boss, yet not close the book on a talented rookie who may or may not have "just screwed up."

Personally, I think triple secret probation with a twist is called for.

What I'd REALLY like to see is davis do one of them deals like the DT from the Chargers, who said he didn't have a drug habit, and would give back his bonus if he tested positive. Maybe a variation like that regarding blowing practice would be best for all concerned.

But if Zorn comes down too hard or too easy, he's has gotten off to a bad start with the team. If he handles it right, he's set the tone for the season, and passed a big hurdle.

Posted by: corkczar | May 4, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Nothing more to see here. Move over -- beep-beep, peeps.

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

+++Almost forgot, if the team still had Brandon Lloyd then they never would have had to draft Fred Davis in the first place. The team is in shambles.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | May 4, 2008 1:16 PM+++

Thank God the FO guy who obtained Lloyd was replaced by the guy who drafted Davis. It's this sort of smart maneuvering by Snyder that PROVEs that La Canfora and his commie pinko negativism are bad for the team, bad for our troops in Iraq, our boys in Mom's Basements, Big Brother, and our Lord and Master, the Great God, Vinnie.

I'd sign this with my real handle, Corkczar, but I don't want people to know I sent it.

Posted by: Jasonhaters Anonymous | May 4, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hope he just overslept. Otherwise, what a dope. The last thing this team needs is for one of these 2nd rounders to be a screwup. I was starting to come around on the idea of drafting the two WR's. I figured competiveness might help them push each other. As the most questionable pick of the 2nd round IMO Davis better get his act together.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | May 4, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

According to Redskins.com, Davis overslept.

Posted by: Lisa | May 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Is Davis related to Richard Pryor?

Posted by: B. Lloyd | May 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

My 4-year old daughter knows that Redskins.com is not a credible source.

When have you ever heard Larry Michael utter anything credible or insightful?

Posted by: GAD | May 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

what a turd. The guy is about to sign a multi-million dollar dead - he might want to shape up.

Posted by: nice going cerrato | May 4, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

you guys are stupid. davis will be fine

Posted by: amccabe3 | May 4, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

all of you dan and vinny haters need to get a life. we had a great draft!!!!! are you retards? most of you act like your former GM's!!!!!! i say you haters go root for the eagles and get the hell of my team!!!!! TRADERS!!!!!!!!! WE made the playoffs last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and should have beat the cowboysTWICE

Posted by: amccabe3 | May 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

There are two funny aspects to this:

1) For all of you kids out there, try this. Get a new job and then don't show up the first two days of work, see how that goes.

Likewise, ask your boss if what would happen you didn't show up for two days and didn't tell anyone.

2) His brother is classic.... he didn't hear the alarm. What... for two days?

Anyway, I can see this is going to be a fun year for our redskins.

Posted by: Ombudsman | May 4, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You guys need to Chill-lax k?

It's not like I'm used to having to get up for class or anything.... I set my the alarm on my celly but when it was goin' off I just thought it was some girl buggin' me again so I rolled over and slept till 1pm PST.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

NOTE TO DAVIS : SCEW UP AFTER SNYDER OVER PAYS YOU, I'M SURE YOU WILL HAVE 1ST ROUND MONEY. WHAT A JOKE VINNY BOY AND DANNY ARE. SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT DE FROM THE U AT LEAST PORTIS WOULD HAVE HAD HIM TO PRACTICE. YOU MARK MY WORK THIS GUY WILL BE A HOLD OUT.

Posted by: poolman | May 5, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poolman | May 5, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poolman | May 5, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm so glad his brother didn't think there was anything to be concerned about. That makes it all better.

Immaturity must run in the family!

Posted by: Jah | May 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

There are two funny aspects to this:

2) His brother is classic.... he didn't hear the alarm. What... for two days?

Anyway, I can see this is going to be a fun year for our redskins.

Posted by: Ombudsman | May 4, 2008 4:59 PM

Huh? He missed 1 practice, the only session on Sunday (day 3)

Posted by: G | May 5, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse