Agent says Larry Johnson's absence was due to doctor's appointment

New Redskins running back Larry Johnson missed Thursday's voluntary workout because of a doctor's appointment, according to his agent.

"There's nothing to this. He just had a doctor's appointment," Peter Schaffer said in a phone interview. "Someone should have called me [before anything was written]. To not call me was just lazy."

In an email to reporters Wednesday, the Redskins announced Johnson, who signed earlier this month, would address the media for the first time at Redskins Park. Johnson, however, did not attend the scheduled availability, and the team did not explain his absence.

The Pro Bowl running back, who participated in workouts earlier this week at the complex, is physically sound and eager to get his career back on track with the Redskins, Schaffer said. Johnson is expected to share backfield duties with longtime starter Clinton Portis, who missed the second half of last season because of concussion-related problems.

By Jason Reid  |  March 25, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo gives mini scouting report on Okung
Next: Santana Moss predicts Clinton Portis will be motivated

Comments

Have any of you seen the JC highlight reel??

I just hooked you the F*&K up!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and that makes it OK? I mean seriously, how hard is it to know you're double booked?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If LJ's version is true than the agent was lazy for not contacting the team.

Posted by: McBride33 | March 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Where's the BeepBeep People?

"Very strong, very athletic for a tackle, and whoever picks him up got a hell of a player. I know what type of player he is, and he brings a lot to the table as far as stopping those big-play pass rushers. I'd love to see him here. We need a blocker. We need some blockers. We'll see." --BRIAN ORAKPO

Okay, that eliminates Okung--either that or Shanahan will have a rather testy conversation with Brian.

You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft.
Hmmmm, unless it's a double reverse fakeout. Yeah,. maybe that's the plan....

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

He would have had a note from his doctor to prove that there was an appointment, but err-ahhh…..his dog ate it. Yeah, his dog. And you SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME FIRST!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Trying to make something out of nothing...

Posted by: Devo2 | March 25, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft.
Hmmmm, unless it's a double reverse fakeout. Yeah,. maybe that's the plan....

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping it's a double reverse with a flea flicker

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping it's a double reverse with a flea flicker

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

... checked down dump off to Portis... 2 yard gain on the play.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft."

Unless you're looking to find a trading partner.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

last time I checked, Orakpo gave the endorsement, not Shanny....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping it's a double reverse with a flea flicker

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

... checked down dump off to Portis... 2 yard gain on the play.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse
Checkdown to Sellers.......FUMBLE!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 25, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Here comes the BS!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 25, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

last time I checked, Orakpo gave the endorsement, not Shanny....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Didn't portis want fat guys last year?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 25, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

beeps again.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 25, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Where else but Washington could could such an old, tired and washed up player earn starting wages for doing limited spot duty?

While I might be willing to accept the agent's explanation, I also gotta figure that another reason LJ27 suddenly decided to schedule a doctor's appointment in this slot is that he dared not remind anyone of how preposterous it is that he should be given a three-year contract to play here.

Also gotta figure that this probably won't be the last occasion where LJ27 fails to show or pass muster.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 25, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I think LJ missing a media session is a non issue. WHO CARES!! as long as he produces on the field he can miss every media session.

Posted by: wattsicon | March 25, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Did LJ not know he had a Dr. appt and/or a meeting with the press?

He couldn't have let ANYone know he wouldn't be there?!

Rude, unprofessional, disrespectful to the people left waiting (yeah, they're only the press, but they are people, too, whose jobs depend on these athletes), and...sadly...expected.

The fact his agent took no responsibility for neither himself or LJ being on top of this error and, in fact, turned it around on other people as their issue for being "lazy" says LJ hired someone of his own non-professional ilk to represent him. Wonderful... :|

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | March 25, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey skinsfanintampa, your an idiot get a life man, LMFAO....If you think Campbell is the faultor fall guy for this franchise your clueless about football

Posted by: BeatDontStop | March 26, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

The Mayor is lazy?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | March 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Just the beginning...just you wait; you ain't seen NOTHING yet. This misfit will not disappoint. You will see a show only it won't be on the field production...

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 28, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the tandem of Portis and Johnson and throw a rookie in there and you look at what some of the playoff teams done. have a 3 deep running back set that when one needed a blow of fresh air they went with another power runner and didn't skip a beat. This could be awesome I am a fan of aldreridge, portis, johnson to be one of the top running games in the NFL with a healthy line. I still think we need to resign Randy Thomas to a league min for an insurance policy. The man is smart and could help. But I like Shanny and Allen's approach I think there are going to be some big names cut and we may be able to get a bargain. Terrell Or Marshall ould be nice but I like what we have KELLY, THomas, MItchell and Moss. I know Terrell would be a home run threat and Brandon too but I think they want too much now!!!!!

Posted by: bert3 | March 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse