Bruce Allen: 'A day of change for the Redskins'

The Redskins' plan for 2010 started coming into sharp focus with a flurry of late-day roster cuts ahead of the beginning of free agency, which starts at 12:01 a.m.

"Obviously, it's a day of change for the Redskins," said General Manager Bruce Allen, who promised more activity in the coming days.

Four more players -- Todd Collins, Marcus Mason, Eddie Williams and J.D. Skolnitsky -- were trimmed from the roster shortly before Allen addressed the media at 7 p.m. at Redskins Park. They joined six others who were released earlier on a day on which offensive lineman Chris Samuels retired as well. Those six are Rock Cartwright, Ladell Betts, Fred Smoot, Randy Thomas, Antwaan Randle El and Cornelius Griffin.

"One of the reasons to do it today," Allen said, "is to give these players an opportunity at the starting line of free agency."

It was evident from Allen's comments that a clear plan is in place, one that will become apparent soon.

"Our plan is for 2010 and beyond," said Allen. "We've developed a pretty extensive game plan for what we're going to do in free agency."

The Redskins practically set a speed record in signing Albert Haynesworth as a free agent last year, working out a deal in the early hours after free agency opened in February 2009. Whether the team will move that swiftly as Allen implements Coach Mike Shanahan's plan is uncertain, but he said the team would be "active on the phones tonight talking to the prospects."

As for pundit predictions that have the Redskins gobbling up the big names in the free-agent market, Allen said, "I think that's a compliment, actually, to the organization."

The Redskins have tendered offers to 10 players: Jason Campbell and Carlos Rogers (first-round); Reed Doughty, Kedric Golston, Stephon Heyer, Rocky McIntosh and Chris Wilson (fifth round); Anthony Montgomery (fifth round); Will Montgomery (seventh); and Lorenzo Alexander (right of first refusal).

Asked about the status of Clinton Portis, Allen replied: "Right now, he's our starting running back and that's what our plan is."

Allen also addressed Rogers' dissatisfaction and comments: "I look at that as just the nature of the world we're living it right now."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 4, 2010; 7:44 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins release Griffin
Next: Casey Rabach signs three-year contract with Redskins, avoids free agency

Comments

With VC gone and BA/MS in... Does it feel to anyone else like the grown-ups are finally in charge?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | March 4, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who the Redskins release, just so long as they keep JC17 and CP26 on the roster forever. These two are the heart and soul of the team -- and could singlehandedly fill the stadiums with hundreds of thousands of adoring fans all ready to drop hundreds and thousands of dollars just to bask in their glory

Posted by: Vic1 | March 4, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Love the comments on Rogers and really everything else.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

alright so we've seen the guys that have been cut so far

anyone think they coulda cut some other players as well?

because the cuts made earlier today seem like they are all due to age/money...carter, sellers and moss come to my mind

Posted by: AhsanFamily | March 4, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen....a true Republican...

That's a good thing for us...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Shanallen has blown the team up - much like the Wizards! Very disheartening.

We have NO O line....1 RB....a disgruntled DB...no backup QB....and far too many holes to fill. How Bruce thinks he can fix this is beyond me.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 4, 2010 7:49 PM |

First of all it's Shanahan... and how in the world could you be opposed to all these cuts?? You want to keep all these old washed up players? NO. It's time to start over and this is how you do it, by getting younger. God... Redskins front office did the right thing for once and some are still complaining. And please don't even start with the Wizards. They absolutely HAD to blow the team up.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Chick fight...

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 4, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | March 4, 2010 8:20 PM |
=============================

You could always become a Cowgirls fan, Vic1.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow..the Browns didn't tender Brodney Pool (FS). Low hanging fruit.

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Only cut I maybe question is Smoot. I know he's older and slower but I don't think he was costing much (I could be wrong there) and Tryon and Barnes are largely question marks. Westbrook isn't much of anything and Rogers is a disgruntled loser. Smoot played hard and smart and never complained. Guess I could have gone either way with that one. Guess we'll be lookinf for a CB or they have great faith in Barnes. Never the less, this staff seems like they know what they're doing so I'll defer to their decisions. (like I have a choice.)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

haha, you wish.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Lisa, didn't mean to come off sounding so rudely. It's just that I don't know how you could be mad about this?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Smoot's pay was due to take a big jump in 2010.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 4, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Scamp-

Fred Smoot: Age: 30; POS: DB; 2009 base salary: $2.65 million; 2010 base salary: $3.9 million.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 4, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins started rebuilding the roster with the re-signing of center Casey Rabach, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Rabach agreed to a three-year contract worth about $12.3 million, according to the source. His contract voided after the season and he was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

How did JReid miss this?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Caps do this a couple of years ago? I think it is working out fairly well. Hopefully the Redskins will have the same success.

Posted by: lifelongfan | March 4, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen....a true Republican...

That's a good thing for us...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 8:27 PM
=====================================

I'll believe that when B.A. lies us into a war and doubles the national debt.

(But I still won't believe this is a good thing for us.)
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 4, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow..the Browns didn't tender Brodney Pool (FS). Low hanging fruit.

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

too slow. he has lb speed.

I'd like to take a look at those two O-linemen the Browns(who've had a good O-line btw)released.

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible, we come away with noone??
Posted by: tony325

You can find him in Tampa
Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2010 6:58 PM
-------------------------------------------
I'm here finally. Meetings all day, the laptop went crazy and the techs were scratching their heads in confusion.

Then they changed the budget call from noon Monday to noon tomorrow. Thought our budget analyst was going to start crying, she will be working late tonight!

Wow, the cuts went deeper than I thought they had balls for. It's good to see that Shanallen have a plan and are making decisions to move the team forward.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Only cut I maybe question is Smoot. I know he's older and slower but I don't think he was costing much (I could be wrong there) and Tryon and Barnes are largely question marks... Smoot played hard and smart and never complained. Guess I could have gone either way with that one. Guess we'll be lookinf for a CB or they have great faith in Barnes.
Posted by: scampbell1975

Hey, Smoot was just costing the youngsters playing time! There are 2 young CBs that are missing on playing time because Zorny wanted the vets in there. I'll say it again, the youngsters can't do much worse. Complaining about cutting a backup on a 4-12 team! It's absolutely ridiculous :-)

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Scamp-

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 4, 2010 8:39 PM |

I don't know. With the way Snyder throws money around that doesn't seem like too much for a solid nickle that can tackle. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

...And please don't even start with the Wizards. They absolutely HAD to blow the team up.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse
=============================================
If the F.O. didn't Gilbert has the artillery that would have done the job quite nicely.

Posted by: clark202 | March 4, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

While I like the roster moves and trust Shanahan/Allen's offseason plan will be successful, I'll still be skeptical of the Skins Front Office until Stephon Heyer is gone.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | March 4, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

You're kidding, right? She's still upset about them cutting Springs loose.

Posted by: Megskin | March 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

With Todd Collins gone, it seems that they will draft a QB. No way they would go into the season with Colt Brennan as Campbells immediate backup.

Posted by: Allan2 | March 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I had to tell y'all this. My wife and I are watching Tim Sylvia fight Cabbage in the UFC and she says Tim Sylvia "looks like he'd stink."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I didn't find much to surprise in those cuts. After they made offers to players like Alexander, Wilson, Doughty, et al, you could see which way they were going -- younger, a little healthier, special teams friendly, and guys who would happily take one for the team. The cuts followed that theme -- older players who maybe wouldn't contribute that much next year anyway.

Keeping corners like Barnes and Tryon, even if it's only for the present, also suggests an emphasis on youth. I'm guessing Shanahan had ARE on his cut list since the day after he watched his first loop of film. All he needed to justify releasing Thomas was a copy of his H&P. Betts wasn't much better. Guys like Will Montgomery are versatile backups, and that's clearly something the new Skins value.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Expect to us sign LB, OL, QB on Saturday

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 4, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Why would you cut Stephon Heyer???

He's only 25, you've invested a lot of time in developing him and he's a good depth player that can step in and start if someone goes down.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys did not tender an offer to restricted free-agent PK Shaun Suisham, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 4, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

The three best quotes from BA tonight.

How'd you like the pizza?

Look at you a mathematician over there Jason.

and finally when asked if there was any financial restrictions placed on him by the ownership?...

Gotta love it.

Posted by: jberry73 | March 4, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding means never having to say you're sorry.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 4, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

PFT reporting a bunch of teams after Rolle and we're not one of 'em. Good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Suishamed!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 4, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

scamp.
I'll bet beer was coming out of your nose.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 4, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

You're kidding, right? She's still upset about them cutting Springs loose.

Posted by: Megskin

She's also still angry about Shaun Suisham being let go I think... come on people, don't get so emotionally attached to these players.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

This global warming is freezing my b**ls off. It's 44 degrees, too darn cold for Florida

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

scamp.
I'll bet beer was coming out of your nose.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 4, 2010 8:55 PM |

Let's just say I was amused.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

PFT reporting a bunch of teams after Rolle and we're not one of 'em. Good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 8:52 PM

This is good. It portends trading Carlos for a big pick! Maybe a five instead of a six?

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen....a true Republican...

That's a good thing for us...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 8:27

Not a good analogy... Republicans usually take over things when they are in great shape (low unemployment, economic growth, record surplus, peace, etc) and then they turn it into crap (high unemployment, economic disaster, record debt, war and war)

Dems are the ones who have to come in and do the unpopular things to clean it up and save the day.

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

THAT'S a good thing for us!

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 4, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

This is tough. All of the guys on the list were contributors at one time or another. Like them or not they were contributors. Still, I cannot argue with this approach at all. It's what is needed. In today's NFL you can't hang onto players just because they used to be good. I can't wait to see what they do tomorrow.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

With the cuts of Cartright, Williams, Betts and Mason, he could have almost said 'he's our ONLY running back...".

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

A surplus year here, Salary Cap, A surplus year there, No Salary Cap

debt keeps accruing, it won't stop...time to cash my gold and silver. Or i'll just meet lucy in the sky with diamonds. hope to see you there. whadda lovely smorgasbord. Pass the J. Pepper for my lovely dinner Rolles.

My fandom is indebted to Bruce Allen

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 8:43 PM |

Touche, although I wouldn't put D. Thomas and M. Kelley in the same boat as J. Tryon and K. Barnes. Although I would put Smoot and ARE in the same boat.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

But this is sports and only one team can win the championship. So we as fans will attache individual players, especially those who give back to the community.

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

THAT'S a good thing for us!

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 4, 2010 9:02 PM

Yea ask Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagen. What a doosh bag you are. Very shortsighted. Oh, and how are your precious libby's doing by the way?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Smoot is not allowed on boats anymore.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Smoot is not allowed on boats anymore.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 9:10 PM |

Now that's funny!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Shut up with the politics toolbox.

Posted by: Rahtard | March 4, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I like what I see so far, Good response to Carlos Rogers question. It was time for these players to move on

Posted by: skinsfanfrmbirth | March 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Shut up with the politics toolbox.

Posted by: Rahtard | March 4, 2010 9:13 PM |

Blow me re tard

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Smoot is not allowed on boats anymore.
Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 9:10 PM |

Now that's funny!!!
Posted by: scampbell1975

Yes it is!

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

THAT'S a good thing for us!

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 4, 2010 9:02 PM
------------------------------------------
Bruce Allen put the team in the most debt it has ever been in? He skipped out on paying his taxes?

Before you start getting a historical perspective about what the dems have and haven't done you might want to think back to Ronald Reagan and the mess he had to clean up. And, for the record, Obama hasn't fixed anything as far as I can see. Most people are worse off since he took office.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 9:15 PM |

Talking sense to a libby is like talking football to Vinny. Neither have any idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Even though I agree with 4th, scampbell, and head,
enough with the politics already.
Can't we all just be happy that we finally have football people making football decisions, and with the deepest wallet in the NFL.
Lets get back to the speculation...
Peppers=no, Dansby=yes.

Posted by: jberry73 | March 4, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree with head too.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I want C.J. Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Even though I agree with 4th, scampbell, and head,
enough with the politics already.
Lets get back to the speculation...
Peppers=no, Dansby=yes.

Posted by: jberry73 | March 4, 2010 9:22 PM

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm not much on the big name free agent thingy but if we could frontload a contract for someone like Peppers, why not? He commands double teams. He MUST be accounted for on the field at all times regardless of whether he is having one of his dissappearing spells. With him and Haney you have 4 of the blockers occupied between 2 people. I know all the knocks on him but that's a great start. I'd probably still pass though. Too many ifs.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 4, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

He blamed everything on Vinny Cerato?

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Look, all of us who follow this team knew from really before Bruce Allen was named GM that the Skins yet again would blow up the joint. When your incumbents don't win a game in the division and win only four contests out of 16, an explosion is in order. But my concern is how do we fill these holes? And something more. What about team chemistry? Cartright, for example, really was the face of this franchise. He is gone. I would say that it will be another long season. The game plan, for once, is to find young guys who can be good and play as a unit, as a team, for a number of years before this all has to be done again. The Redskins under Snyder have made offseason explosions the norm. Until the season results change, it can be said that very little has been altered in the corporate culture of the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | March 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I want C.J. Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:26 PM |

I, too, would like CJ Spiller. If we can't get him I would like Jonathan Dwyer later.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 4, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

He blamed everything on Vinny Cerato?

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:28 PM |

Phukin' hysterical!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

So now that Rock, Randle El and Suisham are all gone, how is RI going to get any info from 'team sources?'

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Everybody cool out. We're acting like prisoners who have just been released after being imprisoned for twenty years. This is how the real world operates now: People have cell phones, tvs are flat and football teams get better by building through the draft. That is what we are doing. Essentially this is a good GM practicing loss prevention-getting rid of employees with salaries that exceed their productivity. I'm happy about all of this. Quit acting like we're going to have a 43 man roster next year. 10-6,5th seed wildcard.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I want C.J. Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

`
At what price?

most gm posters here don't want to overpay for talent...

who cares if signing Rolle could help win football games, he's too expensive. Just think, if we hadn't given all that money to Albert we could have brought in several key players and we woulda made the playoffs...

on second thought

ya know

I'm not sure Chris Canty coulda stopped a Brandon Jacobs on 4th and 1

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

C. J. Spiller is a game changer! I wish we had two 2st round picks. That dude is a BEAST!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

"I am a bit shocked," said Randle El. "I thought that with a new GM and a new coach, I thought you'd be given a shot to show them what you can do."

How many 'fair shots' do you need to prove you suck?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: royhobbs56 | March 4, 2010 9:29 PM |

You make some good points but even if we kept a lot of those guys you still have holes. Those guys WERE holes. At least now we give the young 'uns some shots. We knew what they were, time to give some others a shot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN. Rabach is re-signed to a three year deal

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen....a true Republican...

That's a good thing for us...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2010 8:27

So, today, Bruce Allen acted like a true Democrat.

THAT'S a good thing for us!

Posted by: jgarrisn

WELL SAID!

Posted by: poni66 | March 4, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Rachel....your comments were very rude. I am entitled to my opinion the same as everyone else on here. And I MEANT to say "Shanallen" - it's my nickname for Shanahan and Allen. I'm fully aware of the coaches name.

I simply cannot understand why they would cut practically every player on the team (at least it seems that way) right NOW. We have only Rabach (just secured) and Dockery as starters on the O line (don't think Heyer or Montgomery will be a starter)..CP is our sole RB (and you all hate him)....the defensive players have been slashed. Can someone explain to me how the new management is going to make replacements for all these players with only 5 picks in the draft and limited free agents? Maybe they do have it figured out but it will surprise me.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 4, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Spiller is not a reach at the #4 pick...

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

how is RI going to get any info from 'team sources?'

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:32 PM

You haven't paid close enough attention. It's League-Sources, not 'team sources.' These guys never had anyone on the team that would talk with them. The have to call Charley Casserly and Mel Kiper -- Leauge-Sources.

Posted by: League-Source | March 4, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

...and then he ran backwards and fell down.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, leave the football decisions to the football people and get a grip.

Poni, you're a bag of hammers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess it would be nice to have Peppers, and it could happen in an uncapped year.

Could you imagine, Peppers/Haynesworth/Oracpo/Carter and we draft Mccoy/Suh!
Hell Brennen, Cambell, or any late round QB would have plenty of time to study the opposing team...
while they wait for they're QB's to be carted off the field.

Posted by: jberry73 | March 4, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

O_e on a roll.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

...And I MEANT to say "Shanallen" - it's my nickname for Shanahan and Allen...

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 4, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

How about "Brike"?

That's got a nice ring to it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 4, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site.

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

How many 'fair shots' do you need to prove you suck?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

that ish is FUNNY. Nice.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 4, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

i'll give bruce allen one thing, he can talk to the media. vinny cerrato, could not, and ultimately, he failed. looking forward to seeing what the skins do with a very thin free agent market. if we start giving up draft picks though, we are hurting our chances at building a good franchise. and picking bradford or claused with the 4th pick is an awful idea.

Posted by: BMACattack | March 4, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

From PFT 18 mins ago:

confirmation for anyone still doubting the Dansby situation: He IS NOT on his way to South Florida tonight. For any reason.

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2010 9:15 PM |
======================

Dipsh!t. If you reichtards don't start none, won't be none.

But as long as you persist in being a brainwashed dittotard, here's the facts.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 4, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

how about this, we make a trade with the Seahawks.

Trade:

- 4th overall
- maybe a player

For:

- 6th overall
- 14th overall

Maybe they'll bite on the trade on draft day if Bradford is still available and they know we're tempted to taking him.

We draft:

6th - Best LT available
14th - CJ Spiller or OG Mike Iupati

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | March 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

the Dipsh!ts AND reichtards are the ones who vote them in office...

Voting is for suckers. tee hee hee

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Usually I don't even involve myself with the politic talk but:

Not even a big Obama fan like that, but I find it hilarious how the man has a year in office, and people already calling him a failure.

I don't give a damn what anyone says, it's obvious that the anti-Obama sh*t is largely due to the fact that he's black. And those who say otherwise are full of sh*t. Never in history I have ever read or seen such impatience from "some of the people" in this country when it came to the president. It's funny though; the same people who like to bash Obama at every turn are probably the same a__holes who voted for Bush, not once, but twice.

And my, oh my, how the country THRIVED under the Bush administration. Sure was booming times the eight years he was in office.

People are acting like the current administration came in under the best conditions -- like they didn't have to clean sh*t up.

It's sort of like the people who are against the moves that were made today or already skeptical of the Redskins front office decisions.

HELLO! Have you been living under a rock or in fantasy land the last fuc_ing 10 years? Sh*t was bad, it's going to take time to get it right.

I would suggest that those who like to hate Obama to be patient, but you're minds are so fuc_ing one tracked with the "Down with Obama" bullsh*t, it's utterly useless.

Again, deal with it. He's in office until 2012. Like the double move, nothing you can do about it.

So keep it banging with your anti-Obama shtick it never gets old.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 4, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

yes you are entitled to your opinion but you do realize the skins were 4-12 last year right? obviously not...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

He blamed everything on Vinny Cerato?

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Zing!

Posted by: webtechnical | March 4, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

So who was the best corner in the draft the year Los,Rolle, and Pacman were drafted? Los cant catch Pacman is out of the league and I think Rolle is playing safety...Yikes

Posted by: wattsicon | March 4, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

So keep it banging with your anti-Obama shtick it never gets old.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 4, 2010 9:59 PM |

Whatever man. Sh!t didn't get bad until like 4 years ago. People were spending money and living large until then. It ain't got nothing to do with being black, It's got to do with being a phukin liar and thinkin ne and all his libby buddies know whats best and damn what everyone else thinks. Having said that, Bush wasn't any damn better and I doubt McCain would have been either. ALL politicians suck, Obama just happens to be the one in there right now cryin' "it ain't my fault."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Redskins!

Thank goodness this team of underachieving, sniveling punks has been assaulted with removal of unnecessary pieces. I can only hope Sherrif I'm not gonna practice bites the dust next.

Posted by: laserwizard | March 4, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, political meatheads are relentless. Even sports aren't safe anymore. I believe the front page has plenty of space for you terrorists to go off about your favorite liars in office. Obama is garbage, Bush was garbage, they're all garbage. So head on over to the front page, blame the earthquakes on Bush or Obama, have an anti-gun/anti-abortion argument, and leave the rest of us living in reality to talk about something other than the lying scum in our government.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 4, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 4, 2010 10:19 PM |

Then you should move to the next thread cause ain't no politics bein' discussed over there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 4, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

No chance Seattle trades both of their picks to move up two spots. For one, they did just draft a QB last year. Late, but they drafted one. They are not going to give up an additional potential starter to move up two spots, regardless of who is there. They are more than a QB away from being a contender. (Sounds familiar)

The best chance of picking up an additional first is to trade to one of the teams below the top 10 and possibly pick up their 2011 1st rounder. A team like Minnesota who has the potential to be a contender for the next 4-5 years at least. Favre won't last that long. If they paid attention to their division rival, they'll start looking for their Aaron Rodgers ASAP. (Hint: It's not Tavaris or Sage).

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 4, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll go slow for you scampbell as this can be very complicated. This is the headline to this blog:

Bruce Allen: 'A day of change for the Redskins'

Here's a perfect place for you to spout your BS. Guess where I found it? OMG, it's in the politics section.

Pelosi suggests that abortion opponents won't derail health bill.

Here's a link because I'm sure you'll get lost on the way:

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Peppers deal could be as good as done according to PFT, I for one am not that thrilled. Here are a few more names to watch out for; Tony Pashos, Mike Gandy, Rex Hadnot, Bobbie Williams, Jamal Williams, Antrel Rolle, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Walter. Okay the last four are people I hope we really consider signing but I doubt it, but then again with Dan Snyder writing the checks in this uncapped year, who knows!!!!

Posted by: robbkels | March 4, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I'M AMAZED THAT SOME OF YOU ARE UPSET WITH THE CUTS AND SOME OF YOU ARE WANTING JC17 AND PORTIS TO STAY AS WELL, LETS NOT FORGET HOW PORTIS RAN THE BALL THIS SEASON (VERY POORLY) AND FELL SORRY FOR ME CAMBELL AND BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE O LINE- THE REASON THEY STOPPED BLOCKING FOR HIM IS BECAUSE THEY LOST HOPE FOR HIM AND NO LINE GOES TO BATTLE FOR A MAN THEY DONT RESPECT.REMEMBER WHEN ESPN SHOWED CAMBELL SHUTTING HIS EYES 11 TIMES BEFORE HE GOT HIT IN ONE GAME.FOR PORTIS IF WE COULD GET TOMLINSON WE COULD HAVE A GREAT 2 MAN BACKFIELD (IF PORTIS TAKES OFF HIS SKIRT) AND RUNS HARD). DONT FORGET OUR RECORD THIS PAST SEASON

Posted by: donavants | March 5, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to see Collins leave. He will always be remembered for saving the season in 2007 with one of the best performances off the bench in Redskin history... That said I would not be surprised if Baltimore takes a look at him as a backup to Flacco. Collins besides being a solid QB when called off the bench Balt also has his old buddy Al Saunders as an offensive consultant and his old coach Zorn as QB coach. And believe me I think Zorn would much rather have Collins than Campbell there...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse