Linebacker Larry Foote visits Redskins

Free agent linebacker Larry Foote came to town, visited with Redskins officials and apparently is hitting the road without a new contract.

It's believed Foote still intends to make his visit to the Arizona Cardinals this week. He's expected in Phoenix on Wednesday.

Foote spent last year with his hometown Detroit Lions but the previous seven seasons was with the Pittsburgh Steelers, playing under new Redskins' linebackers coach Lou Spanos.

According to an NFL.com report, Foote is seeking a contract that would exceed the one Scott Fujita signed Monday with Cleveland. Fujita reportedly will receive $14 million over three years, with about $8 million guaranteed.

Though Foote spent last year playing in Jim Schwartz's 4-3 defense, he would likely be an inside linebacker in a 3-4 system.

The Steelers are reportedly interested in bringing Foote back to Pittsburgh, too.

The Redskins also hosted running back Willie Parker and nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu today.

By Rick Maese  |  March 9, 2010; 4:13 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Getting to the heart of the matter on blocking schemes
Next: Bryant might not be visiting after all

Comments

First!!

Posted by: jiza32 | March 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to play a game of chicken against Bruce. Dude is sticking to his plan.

Posted by: TWISI | March 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would like to pair Foote with London Fletcher as the interior LBs in a 3-4, but his asking price is WAY too high. Good that Bruce Allen stuck to the plan of not overpaying for anybody!

Posted by: gilk | March 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Girlfriend's b-day is today, and I'm picking her up in 4 hurs.

Question: What do I get her for her b-day?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 9, 2010 3:34 PM

Another girl ... and a cup.

Posted by: dcsween | March 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Girlfriend's b-day is today, and I'm picking her up in 4 hurs.

Question: What do I get her for her b-day?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 9, 2010 3:34 PM

Another girl ... and a cup.

Posted by: dcsween | March 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

OHHHHHHHHHHH snap. sickest vid ever. Next to "One guy one horse".

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 9, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Going with the frying pan, the 3-way and maple syrup. Because after the 3-way is done, she can make me pancakes before she races off to work.

Thanks Greg, even though the maple syrup was my idea.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 9, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that letting the guy leave is sticking to a plan. Quality UFAs can name their price in this market. For all we know, Bruce Allen offered that price and Foote just wants to see if the other two want to beat it.

Posted by: dcsween | March 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

z, I'm here for you....

just don't ask me to testify, she she uses that frying pan to...nevermind...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I know he's a huge headache but could we benefit from trading for Marshawn Lynch? I don't foresee it happening, but he's got a lot of potential still.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"I'd hate to play a game of chicken against Bruce. Dude is sticking to his plan."

Boy am I loving this new regime.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care if we sign anyone this year that isn't a rookie.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 9, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Has there been anything about anyone bombing on the Wonderlic at the Combine? It seems like there are two or three stories like that every year, but I haven't heard any so far. Personally, I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic, but it's funny to see "analysts" get all worked up over it.

Posted by: closer44 | March 9, 2010 4:14 PM

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has Idaho's Mike Iupati (Guard, 6-5, 331) with a score of 13. He's considered the top prospect at guard and a projected 1st rounder.

Apparently, UMass tackle Vladimir Ducasse (6-4, 330), projected as a high second rounder, also scored a 13.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

z, I'm here for you....

just don't ask me to testify, she she uses that frying pan to...nevermind...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Just as long as I don't wind up like this guy ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"I really don't care if we sign anyone this year that isn't a rookie."

Yes and no.

It would be nice to snag a vet wideout, a lineman, and linebacker.

I like the idea of not overspending and waiting out for 'unexpected, post-draft' cuts.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 9, 2010 4:34 PM

Couldn't his agent pick up the phone and tell the other teams this is what's on the table from the Skins? I think that with Foote leaving, the Skins weren't in the same ballpark as far as a contract, similar to Pashos.

Posted by: TWISI | March 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Boy am I loving this new regime.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, this dude does not blink.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 9, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

al, I'd like both those guys on this team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 9, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

On 2nd thought, I just wikipedia'ed Marshawn Lynch. His "controversy" section is longer than his "NFL career" section.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 9, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Scenario:

Girlfriend's b-day is today, and I'm picking her up in 4 hurs.

Question: What do I get her for her b-day?

Answer: Another girl ... and a cup.

Analysis:

The starkly placed "..two girls and a cup..." comment is crude, vulgar, sexist, titillating, profane, scatological, primitive, snarky, prurient, salacious, mildly homophobic, beastial, sophomoric, and a brutally suggestive use of kitchenware.

Which is why it's so funny.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Bean, I agree. If we could get those "Wonderlic twins" along with Okung, I would give this year's draft an A+.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Sure seems like salary cap problems will become a thing of past. In this shallow FA pool, it is important not to over pay.

Not at all unhappy with this FO so far.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

So, we got a Foote in the door. Followed by a Foote out the door.

Nice seein' ya Larry.

Posted by: League-Source | March 9, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

more like a 1600 on the SAT

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Sign somebody please!!!!!!!!!!!!! There won't be anybody left at this pace.

Posted by: brett4 | March 9, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Boy am I loving this new regime.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, this dude does not blink.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 9, 2010 4:42 PM

OK, I guess so ... in that he's not Vinny. But what is so impressive about interviewing a top unrestricted free agent and letting him leave? I mean, Buffalo does that. And they've produced, um, the Bills.

Is it part of a "plan" to interview these guys and then NOT make competitive offers?

Moe, I don't think I said anything homophobic ... though I've never watched that thing to its conclusion ... do they kiss before its over?

Posted by: dcsween | March 9, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 9, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I do not see a point in making an offer of 8 mill guaranteed to an aging, past his prime linebacker. We do need help and im not saying we shouldnt be looking, but there is no point in overpaying for a declining 2nd MLB. We can find a starter there in the draft, I mean remember we are not going to be winning anyhting this year, it is more important to fill holes on the oline, because without help there we wont make it through the season.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 9, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 9, 2010 4:41 PM

Maybe. Or maybe Foote's fantasy contract is not what anyone's going to step up for -- guy's in a ballpark by himself.

When was the last time the Cards were known for big spending? Or the Steelers?

Posted by: League-Source | March 9, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The good thing about not over paying playing is that if the players that we end up with are bad in the middle of the season, all of you guys that talk about their salaries won't have anything to say. Albert Haynesworth would be acceptable if he didn't make so much money. Bad hands on Carlos Rodgers would have been more acceptable if he wasn't a high draft pick and make a lot of money.

So now Bruce Allen will get some cut rate players and draftees who will be playing to get big contracts. Big Al's best games were when he was playing to get $100 million. Now that he's got it, he spends more time getting helped off the field than anybody that he tackles.

If they are good judges of talent, they will get up and coming players instead of already there and getting paid players. No need to encourage the Danny to pass on any costs to the fans, because people are already leery of him and all his money making schemes. If they still end up 4-12 at least the players will be playing to get a better contract, even if it isn't from the Redskins. They will be like the Wizards. With Gilbert suspended, and Haywood, Butler, Stevenson and Jamison gone, they play scrappy ball. They didn't get much better skill wise, but every player is playing all out because they don't get paid much and their contracts aren't guaranteed for long.

Bottom line the Wizard players are now hungry. Redskins players are getting ready to get in that line.

Posted by: Carole5520 | March 9, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Good...dude is average

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 9, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

well nevermind on signing on larry foote. asking way too much. don't we have several 2nd year LBs on roster? give them a shot under the new LB coach!

use the money on depth at RB, FS, and OL.

Posted by: nhizzat | March 9, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What's up is Air Snyder grounded or something?

I think the skins have a ploy. many of these teams are not going to sign their RFA they gave tenders to and the skins know it. So at some point the FA market will truly open up and the Skins will snag a few.

note everyone they brought in is 30-something. they can't rebuild with players with 1 or 2 decent/good years left.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 9, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

If he isn't an offensive lineman, we don't need him. Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.....and then more offensive line.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | March 9, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Get hungry BLUE COLLAR players for blue collar WAGES.

Posted by: kenobill | March 9, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Get hungry BLUE COLLAR players for blue collar WAGES.

Posted by: kenobill | March 9, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Hold to the line Bruce...Don't overpay on OLD players...let them get rich somewhere else. Obviously they did not come in to Redskins Park with the attitude of "wanting to be a Redskin"...just the opposite..."Show me duh Money!" To H3ll with them! WParker is damaged goods.

Posted by: wagenstill | March 10, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN STAY THE COURSE!

Posted by: shamken | March 10, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Moving to a 3-4 and moving all those DEs to LB, I would think that linebacker is the one position above all others the Redskins DON'T need. Unless Snyder decrees LBs also play OG and OT...

Posted by: BigTrees | March 10, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse