McIntosh 'on short end of the stick' in uncapped year

Disappointed the Redskins offered him only a low contract tender today and not a multiyear extension, linebacker Rocky McIntosh expressed frustration with being "on the short end of the stick" in the upcoming uncapped year.

McIntosh is among 212 NFL players who would have been unrestricted free agents this offseason if the 2010 season were played under a salary cap. But with an uncapped year set to begin at 12:01 a.m. EST Friday, McIntosh is a restricted free agent.

"I was a player rep before, so I understand the big picture of it," McIntosh said in a phone interview. "But just in terms of them [the Redskins], you'd like them to step up to the plate. A lot of guys definitely understand what it comes down to. This is just the way it is and you kind of knew this could happen.

"You talk about it and you just try to deal with it. But some guys are like, 'Man, this is tough to have it happen this year.' Guys don't know how much longer they can play at this level. They just want to be paid for what they're worth, and that's not going to happen this year, so it's just hard for a lot of guys."

Because the Redskins tendered McIntosh, they will receive a second-round draft pick as compensation if he signs an offer from another team that they decline to match. The Redskins would have received first- and third-round picks if they had offered McIntosh a high-tender amount.

McIntosh finished fourth on the team with 64 unassisted tackles. He also finished second on the team with two interceptions. Last season, McIntosh had a base salary of $535,000 and also received a $100,000 workout bonus.

"I'm totally shocked that they didn't put forth a little bit of an effort. But I'm just stuck in a bind with this free agency thing," McIntosh said. "I felt like I put together a good portfolio these last couple of years. I showed up when I was supposed to and I didn't give anybody any problems.

"Even with all the coaching changes that I've had since being here, I've been a team guy, you know? I just wanted to do everything they asked me to do and I always work hard. But I guess that wasn't enough. I guess they don't count that for anything. I'm just disappointed in that."

Shortly after the interview ended, McIntosh called back to make a few more points.

"And one more thing," McIntosh said. "What can they say about me? Statistically, I'm proven and I'm consistent. I mean, what? They try to knock me down because of my knees or whatever. Oh, yeah, I missed a couple of games, but other than that I've been out there. I've always been to training camp and I've always practiced, so you can't say I'm hurt.

"And they dang sure can't say I'm a punk. Make sure you put that out there, you know, in terms of me being out there on the field and not being physical because I am. So there's nothing that they can say [negative] about me. It's tough because under this collective bargaining agreement, I fall under a restricted free agent. But if you don't want me, and you don't want to give me anything that's even close to fair, just let me go. Let me start over somewhere else."

By Jason Reid  |  March 3, 2010; 1:20 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency , Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels to announce retirement at noon Thursday
Next: Peppers' price sky-high; will any team meet it?

Comments

rocky sounds grumpy/axe-to-grindy

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 3, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

sounds like rocky is a little pissed off

Posted by: wattsicon | March 3, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I love when guys speak their mind. It reminds you of how little it happens in sports.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the NFL. Sounds like Rocky should have mixed in a few business courses at the U.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I feel you Rocky but they are letting you go. They just want to get something in return. You can't fault them for that.

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | March 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

He also finished second on the team with two interceptions.

How sad this sounds....

Posted by: RedDMV | March 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Michael David Smith and BeantownGreg on March 3, 2010 1:05 PM ET
Just 36 hours before Julius Peppers becomes an unrestricted free agent, a new report says the Panthers tried hard to keep him in Carolina.

Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com is reporting that the Panthers made at least three attempts to get a deal done with Peppers, and that the final offer was a long-term deal worth somewhere close to $14 million a year.

It was shortly after Peppers turned that deal down that the Panthers said publicly that they'd let Peppers test free agency.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | March 3, 2010 1:38 PM

Umm, no....

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, people are not going to start complaining about Redskins being SMART with their money now, but again, easiest thing to do is complain and criticize.

By the way question regarding tender offer, there is a stipulation in what you offer, that's why redskins had to offer more to Rocky and Campbell.

"*or 110% of player’s 2009 Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater"

Posted by: capitolteacher | March 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

My assessment of the Redskins challenges is as follows:

1. The team needs to be more disciplined and motivated

2. The team needs to be coached to play at a higher level

3. The OL is awful, 4 of the 5 spots are near the bottom of the league.

4. The team is aging rapidly, so there will high turnover over the next 2 years

5. The secondary has talent, but was ineffective.

6. The current RBs are all question marks, though there is some promise

7. The QB needs to improve

8. Specific individuals need to progress at a better pace than they have (Golston, Blades, Kelly, Tryon, etc)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

She makes whiskey. He loves her still.

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2010 1:35 PM

All the sailors give her chase, cause they love her navel base.

Posted by: League-Source | March 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

from PFT
Posted by Michael David Smith and BTG on March 3, 2010 1:05 PM ET

Posted by: frediefritz | March 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Did he think they were just going to let him walk?

Posted by: thecomedian1 | March 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Did he think they were just going to let him walk?

Posted by: thecomedian1 | March 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Even though Rocky's correct with his displeasure and his comments, it doesn't make financial sense for the Skins to "overpay" him when they don't have to. Its the players fault for agreeing to this CBA in the first place. They knew this was going to happen in 08 when the owners opted out. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, McIntosh included.

Posted by: rich20ssu | March 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not about you Rocky Mac.....It's about the Owners can have you at a lessor price...

It's Business....Nothing personal at all....Donald Penn could be signing a contract worth atleast $7Mil a year over 6 years...instead he will be playing this year at only (ONLY?) $3Mil......Business....Your a product, a good, a service whose price is dictated by those in charge.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 3, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Did he just think they were going to let him walk? This is bidnezz Rock.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | March 3, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Did he just think they were going to let him walk? This is bidnezz Rock.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | March 3, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

'cause that's all it's really about in this league, showing up and not giving anyone any problems, right Clinton?

Man, it's hard to feel sorry for someone pullin' in half a mil, yknow?

Rocky, they think you're worth a second round pick. They coulda just cut you, y'know? Maybe if we woulda stopped some folks on their last drives, you wouldn'ta been in this situation... then again... $$.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 3, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Rocky needs to tell his agent to negotiate. There will be interest in him elsewhere, then the Skins will be forced to match. But no reason for Skins mgmt to negotiate against themselves.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 3, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | March 3, 2010; 1:20 PM ET

'Skins just offered him $1.8 million to play next year. At the end of that year, he would be an unrestricted free agent. 31 other teams in the league can make Rock an offer of a multi-year contract. So, he really is free to "start over somewhere else."

Posted by: League-Source | March 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

And this is the ugly side of the business.

Funny how guys like Rocky Mac, Jason Campbell, Reed Doughty, and Kedrick Golston are taking the brunt of the fall when it comes to CBA negotiations, while the high-powered, financially secured players like Brady's and the Brees' get to comfortably stand behind the NFLPA as they demand the salary cap be removed.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Rock's not a punk he just can't cover a T-end

Posted by: richardgovea | March 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Rock's not a punk he just can't cover a T-end

Posted by: richardgovea | March 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | March 3, 2010 1:38 PM

They aren't letting him go. They just aren't signing him to a long term deal and he can't walk away because of the tender offer. The only incentives that any team has for a long term deal for any player are for unrestricted free agents. Teams still have the rights to sign restricted free agents unless and until another team coughs up a draft pick or more, but the team tendering the offer has a right to match the offer the draft picker cougher-upper would make. By no means are the Skins letting Rocky go. If they were letting him go, they wouldn't make any tender offer.

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Pissed Off Redskins LB... I guess this means we will see Rocky Mac in a NY Giants uniform next year.

But if we're really talking about adding Dansby and/or Peppers, where does Rocky fit?

OLB-Carter/Peppers
ILB-Dansby
ILB-Fletcher
OLB-Orakpo

If this is the plan, then getting a 2nd rounder for Rocky would be a great move forus.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2010 1:50 PM

Huh? Who demanded that it be removed? It was the owners, not the players. And it's not because the owners want to spend more on players' salaries -- they want to spend less. The cap is tied of a floor that REQUIRES all teams to spend at least 85% of the cap. With the floor removed, payrolls will go down.

Posted by: League-Source | March 3, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Rocky is one of the few UFAs that may actually fetch us a draft pick.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Rocky is one of the few UFAs we have that may actually fetch us a draft pick.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that a second round pick is fair. I doubt anyone would offer a 1st and a 3rd for Rocky Mac.

Seems what he's really complaining about is the lack of a long-term deal rather than the tender. Welcome to an uncapped year.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

OLB-Carter/Peppers
ILB-Dansby
ILB-Fletcher
OLB-Orakpo

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather we moved Carter and Rocky and passed on Peppers.

we should just use:

Jarmon
Dansby
Fletcher
Orakpo

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

What a cry baby. Yeah, he should be paid millions just because he shows up and does what he's supposed to. Don't think you're getting what you're worth? Let's see what other teams think about you.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

" ... Last season, McIntosh had a base salary of $535,000 and also received a $100,000 workout bonus. ..."

'Skins just offered him $1.8 million to play next year.

Posted by: League-Source | March 3, 2010 1:50 PM

I'm not so good at the maths. Does 1.1 times $535K equal $1.8M?

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Color Rocky gone.
If somebody else wants him, we get compensation...what's wrong with that? If they had given him more money, nobody would take him because the compensation would be too high.
Rocky...quit complaining and get your egotistical head out of your (o). $600,000 a year and you complain? Wake up to reality.

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 1:55 PM ET

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

They gave me a double post. Nothing I could do about that.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

They gave me a double post. Nothing I could do about that.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse
And that can be negotiated any time between now and when Roc would be an UFA, which would be March 2011.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

etrod, you should turn off the echo effect on your mic.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM

Rocky's not going anywhere. And millions? The guy played well above his $600K salary. He's a baller. I don't blame him at all.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Whining in the press is a great negotiating tactic.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 1:55 PM ET

"Rumors continue to swirl that the Washington Redskins have a 'wink-wink' contract already in place with Vince Wilfork, and are just in the process of negotiating terms of what they'll send to the Pats in exachange for him. We're hearing their first round pick this year is guaranteed to go, as well as either Chris Cooley, or Laron Landry. Stay tuned."

This would be the dumbest deal ever from the Dumb and Dumber Owner's Fantasy Team; no way on God's green earth Wilfork is worth the 4th pick in the DRAFT, let alone adding Landry or another very valuable piece to the deal; that said, Vinnie would have signed off on it.

As for Rocky Mac, it's all about getting paid - not getting better and competing for a championship. The fewer Cane on this roster, the better IMHO. I love the fact that if Rocky thinks he's all that, and gets someone else to bite on the tender offer, we're getting a 2nd.

Mac's a nice player, but he can't cover, has lousy hands, and has bad knees. Not someone you break the bank for - and we already did that in overpaying to move into position to draft him back in 2006 (arguably the worst offseason in Skins' history).

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Rocky, but it bothers me that he's upset with the Redskins. They're just playing by the rules. To quote the 1990s, "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Posted by: Tank2 | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want a 2nd rounder for Rocky. That would just be creating another weakness. Rocky is a player. With gone and Fletch only having a year or two left, our LB corps would be somewhat thin...

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 2:10 PM

You got one Bean...

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?...LB's like him are a dime a dozen

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know how our potential D-linemen in our 3-4 stack up against other 3-4 D-linemen in the league.

Do we have big enough guys?

How big are the NTs for San Diego and Pitt?
What about the DEs?

I feel like we would be undersized at DE and oversized at OLB... but I'd like to see the facts and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Michael BeantownGreg1 Smith on March 3, 2010 1:55 PM ET
=======================

Nudge nudge...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

rocky was a 2nd round pick an got a 2nd round tender... sounds right to me...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Rocky has himself to blame. An NFL linebacker has gotta do more than "show up" and "not cause problems" to get a nice fat contract extension. Guys that make plays get paid. Make some noise on the field Rocky and you'll get paid. Same goes for you JC.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

They can move Rocky next to London in the middle he can run sideline to sideline and an they can do #98, 59, 52 and 99/90 pepper as the LB corp.

Posted by: hammer4 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

There's nothin' better than listening to a malcontent makin' a cool 600 Large that it just ain't enuff these days. 'cuse me while I finish filling out my unemployment papers.

Posted by: DCV1 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

dangit ryp.....can't you zip it....

I will say its been a while, but that felt good.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2010 1:50 PM

If Brady or Brees were playing like this or had SB trophies already in these guys positions, they would be getting the same fat contracts they have now. Not these tenders their dishing out....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Bottom line Shanahan has his hands full. So why is he creating another issue with a 3-4 transition? "

BECAUSE HE IS THE "COACH" HE WILL RUN THE
PROGRAM HIS WAY. NOT OURS.

Posted by: madalao | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM

The reality is that behind Fletcher, Mac was the most consistent and productive player on the defense last year. The skins go into this season seemingly only needing to move Orakpo to the line and find a serviceable OLB. Instead they change schemes and are looking to fill several holes to fill the new alignment. You want to trust the new adminstration, but this doesnt make much sense.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Huh? Who demanded that it be removed? It was the owners, not the players."

The owners demanded that it be restructured to give the players less than the 60% revenue currently imposed by the (former?) CBA.

The NFLPA refused to budge and warned that if the salary cap was ever lost, the owners would never see it again.

It was the owners that opted out of the old CBA in hopes of negotiating a new CBA, salary-cap included. However, it's the players' refusal to agree on a new salary-cap as a part of the CBA that is providing the biggest obstacle to the negotiations.

In the end, it will be the players that wilt to the power of the owners. They will agree to a new CBA that includes a lower revenue percentage for players, which is what the salary cap/floor was introduced for, and in the meantime, the mid-level players entering their prime will be the guys suffering as a result.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I really liked Rocky McIntosh until he started whining in the press. Rock, if you average $600,000 over a five year career it equals $3,000,000. If a guy comes out of college and works in the real world and averages $50,000 for five years it comes to $250,000. Do the math.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | March 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | March 3, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scmonty1

Posted by: Rusty6392

He probably lost out on a long term contract because of this CBA sh*t, I feel him being a little sour and salty over it. All the money the two idiots above know about losing is when it gets lost between their couch cushions.

scmonty1, congrats too you for acting like the typical bitter John Q. Citizen. Your 'he's getting 600,000 to play football, what's his problem' sh*t just screams that your some fu_king malcontent d-bag working at the steel mill in the town you grew up in and never left.

I really don't get people knocking athletes and the money they make. Don't like it? Maybe you should've worked harder as a youth to excel in some sport that pays out the ass instead of complain about it as an adult.

For those who complain, my advice to you:

Shut the fu_k up and enjoy the show.

What's funny is that these idiots that complain don't even know that THEY are actually paying a portion of his salary just by tuning in. Don't like them getting paid like they do? Don't watch.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Rock... I dont feel a bit sorry for you or any of the football players making 500K or more a year, get a 100K bonus just for showing up and working out everyday (which is your job when not hitting people). I really get tired of hearing athletes grumble about salary. You could be back on the corner, not doing anything and pissing ur time and money away like some football failures do. Just play the year out and move on! It is not personal, just business.... redskins business, of course!

Posted by: rvanags | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Rocky, this is a business and the Redskins are doing the same thing that the other 31 teams are doing. Protecting their RFAs with low tenures to get draft picks, if you get picked up elsewhere.

And if you regard yourself as a Pro-Bowl LB (NOT!) maybe another team will give you your high dollar contract and we get a second round pick.... not too shabby...

Posted by: TKing1 | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:12 PM

Huh...I'd take a 3rd for him. He creates a weakness by being here, he's not a fit for the 3-4. They are begging for some team to cough up a 2nd rd pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post... fast and furious up here as free agency nears...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Just goes to show that we should never sign another player from the "U".. They should rename to the "I"

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

$600K is peanuts relative speaking for a starting Weakside LB.......But he still shouldn't take it out on management....He should take it out on the NFLPA for agree to the terms of the uncapped year....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Look, the Redskins are just turds...nobody really wants to be here, they are just taking Dannys money.....they could buy the whole freakin New Orleans Saints team and still would not post a winning record next year....they are just turds...all of em..starting with danny and everyone he pays....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

This is the wrong time to complain about not making enough money cause from a fans perspective I dont feel sorry for any of em' strap up a ball and take a financial planning class and stop crying!!!!

Posted by: hammer4 | March 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM

Absolutely. Mac is proto typical weakside LB. and solid performer. good fit for any team that runs a straight 4-3. Need more Clay Mathews type of LB for a 3-4 not to mention D lineman and nose.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It counts for plenty dopey, but why should they pay you a penny more then they have to? Rocky needs a reality check and an agent that knows when to tell his client to shut up. If he wants a long term deal his best course of action is to not burn bridges criticizing the Redskins and his brand new bosses. Especially when at best he's a slightly above average WLB.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Aside from maybe RAK and P daniels we have all the wrong personel to run a 3-4. Along with O-line count on a 3-4 LB drafted not to mention FS, NT, RB, DL, QB, CB. We don't need help at TE of all positions though. How many draft picks do we have? Better hit on everyone or trade down like the Pats do every year.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 3, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Rocky McIntosh has been solid every since he's been here."

Rocky is very average, I'm sorry. He's not a starter on every team in the NFL, maybe like 15 teams and he's a WOLB at best.

I wish they would have made that deal a few years ago that would have brought Lance Briggs here. The ONE hold up was the Bears wanted Rocky in return and the Skisn said "no."

BIG mistake.

If you don't like the offer, don't take it Rocky. Shows me the Skins are paying attention now. It's a good thing rather then overpay someone and I think that's why Rocky is really upset.

He's not getting overpaid.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 3, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Can't imagine the Redskins wanting to sign anyone to a long term deal... especially given the real prospect of a walk-out/lock out for 2011 season. It's a shame, but Rocky won't be the only one to find himself in this situiation.

Only exception I'd make is signing JC17 to a lifetime contract... at franchise player rates. Have been convinced by the other bloggers that if we can only fix the other 52 roster spots, JC17 has got to be a keeper.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OK, I DO kinda understand Rocky's point, but...

"it's just hard for a lot of guys"?!?

Seeing as these are football players making bajillions of dollars a year... yeah, I'm really tearing up over here.

Please, Rocky:
1) open @ss
2) remove head

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | March 3, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line Shanahan has his hands full.

So why is he creating another issue with a 3-4 transition?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Because he is looking to win big in the future - 3- 5 years. Not just next year.

You need to remember this win it next year attitude and game planning got us into this mess.

He clearly wants to build a team identiy and build towards that.

Posted by: Devo2 | March 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Do some homework before you post. For us to receive a second round pick for Rocky, it means we gave him the middle of five possible tender offers for a 4th year restricted free agent.

A tender doesn't mean that the offer will be the players contract, it just means we have the right to match any other offer for the player or receive a second round pick.

frankly we did rocky a favor, he is a steal for some front loaded cash and a second round pick. However, would you sign him away from the redskins for a first and third rounder? Someone needs to be helping these players because it certainly doesn't sound like Rocky's agent is doing that.

This is the first step in a LONG process, don't get your panties in a bunch folks. No one is signing the tender offers.
If you want the NFL go to the NFL,

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | March 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ive been a huge fan of Rocky Mac as a Skin, though maybe not pro-bowl caliber, he's close, unfortunately he's in a shi**y situation, but he'll be fine either here or somewhere

Rocky is a football player and I would love to have him back

Posted by: retroskins14 | March 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Rocky, regardless of what you think, you ain't on the short end of the stick in this society!!! How about trading places with my former Soldiers and peers in Iraq and Afghanistan at 5-20% of your current salary!! We "fight the nation's war", put our lives and limbs on the line daily, and don't complain. You and your peers play a game and complain about the paycheck. Bro, please!!!! Glad you and your peers were never on my combat team!! And you wonder why DC fans have been losing patience with the Redskins and it's players. You play a game! A game, man, a game!! Be thankful for your lifestyle!!

Posted by: mdgolfer357 | March 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"You idiots up here knocking Rocky McIntosh kill me. Rocky McIntosh has been solid every since he's been here. He doesn't complain, he doesn't mope about bullsh*t."

uhhh, i dunno, maybe it's just me....this article kinda sounds like complaining....moping...

Posted by: bigolebelly | March 3, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

6 AND 10... THE TEAM WAS 6 AND 10

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | March 3, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this for the Rock, he was great in goal line stand stops. He always shot the gap and made a play. He's had knee problems but still been out there unlike another higher profile player from the U who couldn't seem to practice.

I don't begrudge any athlete getting their money because this is just human cattle trading, human horse racing, etc. You are a number, a piece of meat, so get all you can while you can.

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It's a biness son. Now eat this lifesaver and shut the hell up.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 3, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It's a biness son. Now eat this lifesaver and shut the hell up.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It's a biness son. Now eat this lifesaver and shut the hell up.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It's a biness son. Now eat this lifesaver and shut the hell up.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It's a biness son. Now eat this lifesaver and shut the hell up.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 3, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll take $600,000 to show up to work when I'm told, work hard and not cause problems. And hey, I can get lost in your zone coverage schemes, too!

Posted by: sorry2say | March 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

F-Dallas

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 3, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Vince Wilfork

Posted by: BTG

NOOOO... just give me that Euro OL they got from UH last year in like 2nd round

Posted by: ElYeah | March 3, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear players venting on ownership. This team has been run like crap and deserves an earful even when in reality McIntosh is just venting and his situation is happening all over the league.

Management does not get the benefit of the doubt on anything until their decisions start panning out well.

Posted by: divi3 | March 3, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Besides Fletcher, McIntosh has been arguably the Redskins most consistent defender the last two years. The guy never complains, came back from a serious knee injury, and had a strong season last year. The Redskins have a history of not taking care of their own (i.e. Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark) and those players being very productive elsewhere. The Redskins in turn had to pay either huge FA contracts or use high draft picks to replace them.

IF the Skins wanted Rocky to be part of their future, then they should have at least tried to negotiate a long-term deal with him. A 3-year contract wit a signing bonus of $4-5M would have kept him happy and productive. Good teams do the right things to keep their home grown talent. He may not get signed to an offer sheet but another team, but I'm sure he'll leave once he's an unrestricted FA.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 3, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he should ask Hanesworth for a little cash.

Posted by: Theone9 | March 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he should ask Hanesworth for a little cash.

Posted by: Theone9 | March 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Rocky,

The GENIUS has clever ways of working. Are you feeling the pain?

Posted by: atidwell | March 3, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@mdgolfer357 - March 3, 2010 3:18 PM

You tell 'em!!

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | March 3, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Rocky got exactly the right message and I think the message is the right one. I think he is the player that he claims to be. one that shows up for work, doesn't complain, blends into the background. That job pays 600k Rock. If you want to be paid like a stud then you stand out in the crowd. As someone ele said we can find another Rocky Mcintosh at half the price in the 3rd round of the draft. he is nothing special. They made a tender offer that made it palatable for another team to accept if they want him. if they made a higher offer then noone would touch him and they prefer the 2nd round pick over his average play. Yes he finally made it through a year without getting hurt. Congratulations Rock. Between college and the pros he has had both knees operated on already.

Bad knees, average play, ungrateful attitude is not exactly long term contract material is it? He keeps saying he understands the business, yet still whines about it. He obviously does not understand the business. I wish he was an unrestricted FA. I wish he could see what he is worth on the open market. I am gussing about 600k plus a workout bonus!

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 3, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

"they dang sure can't say I'm a punk"

Um, they can now.

Posted by: fargincorksucker | March 3, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

He is used to the old way of doing things...welcome to the world of getting paid like a linebacker on a losing team. Cheers.

Posted by: MPNangle | March 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

See Antonio Pierce. Like so many others before you Rocky, go elsewhere and flourish!!!

The typical Snyder Redskins move will be to keep and pay that pain in the butt Portis and stick it to a proven team guy like Rocky.

Posted by: Redskinrex | March 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse