Peppers' price sky-high; will any team meet it?

Interesting story on ESPN.com about Julius Peppers that could have some bearing on the teams that intend to pursue him when he becomes a free agent.

According to the report, Peppers recently turned down a deal that would've paid him close to $14 million a year from Carolina, which could set the market price for teams that want to bid on his services when free agency begins at midnight Friday.

Last year, when Peppers was negotiating with Carolina for an extension, his asking price reportedly was $15 million.

After a solid 2009 season, it's doubtful the asking price has fallen, so you can bet Peppers and his agent will be wanting a lot of money. What's not as certain: Will anyone be willing to pay him that much?

There are many who think free agency could be slow out of the gates this year; with ongoing labor problems, they think owners might be hesitant to offer big deals. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and when it comes to free agency, the Redskins have a history of being the exception.

By Rick Maese  |  March 3, 2010; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McIntosh 'on short end of the stick' in uncapped year
Next: Jason Campbell has not received tender, 'not really worried'

Comments

Too high... too high... stay away...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM

I'm not always on board with Red's rants, but kudos to him for saying what I did not say out of my PC-ness. I agree.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll second that.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

DON'T DO IT!

Posted by: tgerbracht | March 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Peppers must be snorting that off-white if he thinks he's getting 15/.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Over paying for a pass rusher is soooo 2000.

It's 2010 and we're going to over pay for a punt returner!

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Over paying for a pass rusher is soooo 2000.

It's 2010 and we're going to over pay for a punt returner!

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Huh...I'd take a 3rd for him. He creates a weakness by being here, he's not a fit for the 3-4. They are begging for some team to cough up a 2nd rd pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 |

And then what, we have another hole at LB. Then we have to use a 3rd rounder on a LB who might not be as effective and athletic as Rocky?

He's a young athletic guy who works hard and has good talent. Let's just keep one of these guys...he's just as coachable to a 3-4 as any of our other players.

But I'm sure with your extensive coaching experience you know that he's "Not fit" for a 3-4 even though he hasn't played in one yet.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what his signing bonus was, but to know exactly what Rocky's pay was for last season you have to include a prorated amount of his signing bonus from when he first signed his contract.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

this is getting regoddamndiculous.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Say it with me...all together now...."No thank you."

Posted by: skinsfan713 | March 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

There's no Freud like schadenfreude.

Enjoy.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

True Ryp, we say rocky does not have the size for OLB in 3-4, but how tall was 2008's DPOY from the steelers? 5-6?

Posted by: Zeebs | March 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not complaining about the money they make. I'm pointing out that they ain't exactly 'hurting'.

It's that kinda mentality that will hurt their position come bargaining time anyway. If the players are complaining about the money, they'll loose more of it come negotiations by showing a weakened front, wont they?

And I'm definitely saying they don't deserve what they're getting paid. It's a market and they're workin' it.

...as far as peppers.. can we be the exception to the exception this time?! We could forego the extra seasoning for some stock this time.

...wow that was a lame analogy. Sorry.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Whhhaaaaaaa.... Athletes make too much money... whhhaaaaaaaaaa.... I hate my job... whhhhaaaaaaaaaaa... I don't feel sorry for someone that makes a million dollars.... whhhaaaaaaaaaaa.... I don't want to get up and go to work in the morning because I hate it..... whhhhaaaaaaaa.... I could retire off his annual salary... whhhhaaaaaa... My wife thinks I'm a loser.... whhhhaaaaaaaa... what about the people in Chile and Hati?... whhhhaaaaaaaa... I'M A MALCONTENT PIECE OF SH*T!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | March 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:32 PM

I agree 100%. Rocky might be great on the inside. Dansby made the move from the outside to ILB, there is no reason to think he cant. He has the size to pull it off. That being said if he has to go at least we get a second rounder out of it.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2010 2:32 PM

Where do you play him? He can't play outside and with his size it will be a challenge for him to play inside.

Take a look at the successfully run 3-4 defenses and compare personnel. This is why we will be running a HYBRID formation next year and it will be a few years until we have the personnel to fully transition to a 3-4.

Notice how I did that without insulting your lack of football acumen?

Also remember the Tyson Alualu DT from California. He will be a Redskin, they love his versatility.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like too much money for a guy past his prime. I don't dispute that he has something left in the tank, but he left his best stuff on the field in Carolina and he would be starting over at linebacker if he came to Washington. Carter, Alexander, Jarmin, Orakpo, Fletcher, Blades, Henson, McIntosh, Gatewood, Young and Bowen are the linebackers I count on the roster today. I think they have enough linebackers, but if they want to spend some free agent money, pick up Dansby who has experience in the 3-4.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 3, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 3, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Umm... RedD?... u ok?

lmfao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 3, 2010 2:43 PM

Dansby 6'4 250
Rocky 6'3 230

Rocky isn't the same caliber player as Karlos. I like Rocky, the tender makes sense...you can't let quality players walk, but he is physically not a fit for a 3-4 LB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

D'Qwell Jackson= 6' 240
Patrick Willis= 6'1 240
Rocky McIntosh= 6'2 238
Ray Lewis= 6'1 250

Size wont be an issue.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

D'Qwell Jackson= 6' 240
Patrick Willis= 6'1 240
Rocky McIntosh= 6'2 238
Ray Lewis= 6'1 250

Size wont be an issue.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 3, 2010 2:54 PM

Good one, I'm 6'2 220, maybe I can play inside too. Rocky's not the same caliber player as those guys.

I'm not "hating" on Rocky, just stating my opinion and the opinion of people that cover the league. He'll get his chance and hopefully he will make the most of it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

DANSBY YES!!!! Sign him, put him next to fletcher and then draft a backup for the two of them to groom.

Peppers NO!!! Not at 15 million a year, someone is drinking some coolaid there...We already have Orapko and Carter to be stand up ends, we can find another, maybe Chris Wilson. It is about overall pressure not one guy in the 3-4.

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | March 3, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we would be undersized at DE and oversized at OLB... but I'd like to see the facts and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

NTs
Casey Hampton 6-1 325
Vince Wilfork 6-2 325
Jamaal Williams 6-3 348
Shaun Rogers 6-4 350
Kris Jenkins 6-4 360
Aubrayo Franklin 6-1 317

We have no one on the roster that fits this mold.

DEs
Richard Seymour 6-6 310
Darnell Docket 6-4 295
Brett Keisel 6-5 285
Luis Castillo 6-3 290
Marcus Spears 6-4 310

These guys all fit at 3-4 DE
Big Al 6-6 360
Monty 6-6 330
Phil Daniels 6-6 310
Golston 6-4 300
Jarmon 6-3 277

I think we'd be perfectly sized at DE and at OLB. Jarmon would probably bulk up a little to be a DE or slim down to be the LOLB. I'm more worried about NT and ILB. We'd probably try to shove Big Al in at NT and I think that would be a waste of his pass rushing skills. I'd rather have him at DE and some schlub off the street eating space.

ILB I don't think our current ILBs are good enough in coverage to be 3-4 ILBs. We would have to sign Karlos Dansby. I think Fletch can do it and maybe H.B. Blades in a pinch but it would defintiely be a weak area. I really have no idea if Rocky Mac can do it. I know he had the speed to do it before the knee surgery. The funny thing is that this is already such a weak area.

Let's compare the holes:
4-3 OLB
3-4 NT, ILB

I think if we sign Karlos Dansby then we are just as far off from a 3-4 as we are from a 4-3.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 3, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Daniels
Hanyesworth
Jarmon
Carter
Fletcher
Dansby
Orapko
Seems pretty solid to me. Orapko is Pepper's only younger. Which of the 3 Carter, Orapko, or Pepper's will put their hand on the ground??

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | March 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Daniels
Hanyesworth
Jarmon
Carter
Fletcher
Dansby
Orapko

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | March 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm drinking the Peppers kool-aid. He'll be a Redskin before my head hits the pillow Thursday night/Friday morning.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 3, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"NTs Casey Hampton 6-1 325
Vince Wilfork 6-2 325
Jamaal Williams 6-3 348
Shaun Rogers 6-4 350
Kris Jenkins 6-4 360
Aubrayo Franklin 6-1 317
We have no one on the roster that fits this mold."

Hmmm? What about Haynesworth?

I was just looking at who Denver has playing the position. Appears to go 6'2" and 314, backed up by 6'2" and 329. Big guys, but hardly Ngota.

I agree we don't have anybody on the roster who fits the description of a dedicated Tony Siragusa type run-stopper.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Everybody and their mother knows that the Skins' biggest deficiencies are on offensive line, yet it seems like they haven't really looked at that unit yet. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Posted by: stwasm | March 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Redskins tender Campbell at first-round level

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 3:37 PM ET

The Washington Redskins have placed the first-round tender on quarterback Jason Campbell, Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting.

The decision of new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan to put the first-round tender, rather than the first- and third-round tender, indicates that he's open to moving on without the quarterback the Redskins chose in the first round of the 2005 draft.

If a team signs Campbell to an offer sheet, the Redskins would have seven days to match the offer or take the other team's first-round draft pick as compensation.

The first-round tender for most players with five seasons of experience is a one-year offer at a salary of $2.621 million, but Campbell's tender is for just over $3.1 million because a tender offer has to be for at least 110% of a player's 2009 base salary.

Carlos Rodgers next?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, "...the Redskins have a history of being the exception."

Guess that's code for "screwing it up again."

Posted by: Redskinrex | March 3, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, "...the Redskins have a history of being the exception."

Guess that's code for "screwing it up again."

Posted by: Redskinrex | March 3, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Screw Peppers!!! I would love it if no one offered him what he wants, especially the Skins. Screw Him and the horse he rode in on. Stop the madness NOW!!!

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 3, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse