Phillip Buchanon expected to visit Redskins today

On Sunday night, Phillip Buchanon tweeted: "Big day tomorrow...."

Because the cornerback hasn't received a lot of bites in the free agency market, this apparently is a very big day for him. The Redskins are in need of depth in the secondary, and he is expected to hit Ashburn to visit with the team.

Though they have young corners in Justin Tryon and Kevin Barnes, the Redskins released veteran Fred Smoot and have little experience beyond DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers. Other cornerbacks on the roster include: Byron Westbrook, Doug Dutch and Marcus McCauley.

Buchanon, a former first-round draft pick by Oakland, will be entering his ninth season in the league. He was released this month by Detroit after spending just one year there. He was set to earn $3.5 million this season, probably more than Detroit wanted to spend for the 2010 and probably more than Buchanon can expect to squeeze out of this year's market.

Buchanon is an interesting free agent for the Redskins to target. His next team will mark his fifth in seven years. Buchanon totaled 11 interceptions in his first three seasons in Oakland. He's had seven in the five years since. Buchanon started 11 games for the Lions last year, had no interceptions but forced two fumbles.

But the Redskins might like something else about Buchanon: He has plenty of experience as a return specialist. He was an All-American, in fact, as a returner at the University of Miami. As a pro, he regularly returned punts his first three years in the league but only sporadically since then. For Detroit last season, he was credited with four returns (34 return yards) and one fumble.

The Redskins released Rock Cartwright and Antwaan Randle El, which
means they're in need of returners still.

By Rick Maese  |  March 29, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Other voices weigh in on Kyle Shanahan
Next: Count Vinny Cerrato among those who like Jimmy Clausen

Comments

Sure, spiller at #4, if we're throwing logic out the window, just get used to the following:

"Handoff to spiller, tackled for a 4 yard loss"....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:14 AM

or worse

".....Spiller on the sidelines with another injury. Man he's taking a beating out there."

Posted by: skinswest | March 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

-OR-

Spiller set to receive the kick...Spiller at the 5, the 15...he's at the 30...no one catch him.

-OR-

Campbell to set up the screen to Spiller...he avoids a tackle...Spiller up the sidelines with one man to beat....

Ya'll think too negatively!

I'm full drinking the Spiller-Aid!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh no...not another player from the "U"!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Sign Buchanon for punt returns and ask him if he knows how to play free safety....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm lukewarm on Buchanon as a return man...hate his "burnt toast" routine as a CB.

Don't offer a dime over the vet minimum. He ain't worth much more than that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Nickel corner.. Whateves.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

No doubt that Spiller will make a pretty good team better, but teams end up picking in the top 5 or 10 spots because they have some failures along the line of scrimmage. I think this is the reason why tackles tend to get drafted so disproportionately highly. With the ball put on the backs of two workhorses for the next three years (!) like Portis and Johnson, Spiller is not a luxury the Skins can afford. They DO need a punt return guy, but Spiller is a first round pick and the punt returning #3 back is not going to be the picked by the Skins in the first round. [Ideally, its Trindon Holliday in the 7th round.]

Posted by: dcsween | March 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Im not 2 sure about that 1. Should we risk takin up roster spot 4 a returner with limited experience.? May come back 2 haunt us.

MurtD

Posted by: donnellmurray2010 | March 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I reposted that bit above before I even read about Buchanon having punt return experience. Note: So does DeAngelo Hall and so does Justin Tryon (I think ... maybe he returned kicks).

Posted by: dcsween | March 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind bringing in a vet to compete with Barnes and Tryon for that nickel spot.

That he can contribute on special teams is a bonus.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Get a LT in the 2nd round

Means that Heyer is still the RT right??

Ok, you happy with that?

"Campbell to set up the screen to Spiller, however gets sacked for a 12 yard loss, as Stephon Heyer got RUN OVER once again...and Campbell is hurt"....

Not being negative....just being kind of you know...realistic, and stuff...did you guys forget about how well Heyer played last year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

As does Thomas and Moss don't they?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 29, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of five guys on the last thread reminded me that I was contemplating the idea of a Burger Crawl through the city over the weekend.

Start out at BGR in Dupont, then go to Rogue State Burgers (south Dupont), then walk to a Five Guys and then walk to Good Stuff Eatery down by Cap hill.

Then I realized that would result in a coronary. So I am still not sure if its worth it.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Get a LT in the 2nd round

Means that Heyer is still the RT right??

Ok, you happy with that?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Heyer would be the sure fire starter. Mike Williams may win the starting RG spot, and Hicks might compete with Heyer for the RT spot, assuming they have a rookie starting at LT.

I don't think whoever's starting at RT for the team this year, will be the long term solution. The OL will be a work in progress for the next couple years.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Uh...why would the fact that Dr. Andrews performed the surgery mean that Washington has a good handle on Bradford's shoulder?

Is the implication that someone from the Redskins is talking to James Andrews about the medical treatment of one of his patients? That seems a little iffy; if not outright illegal without Bradford's consent.

Posted by: CByrd1 | March 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

My thouhgts exactly.

Posted by: NCICURN | March 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

df, that kind of makes my point more valid, if the OL is a problem area, what sense does it make to take a rb, or a qb....

My car needs a new head gasket, so I'm going to replace the egr valve, and flush out the rear differential and hope for the best, kind of logic...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

4)You can't lose with the #4 pick...we have many holes...and don't forget we have 5 more picks.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 10:35 AM

Excuse me?
- Alkili Smith (3rd overall)
- Tim Couch (1st overall)
- Cade McNown (12th overall)
- Heath Shuler (3rd overall)

And here are all the 1st round QBs from since 2002:

2002: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey
2003: Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J. P. Losman
2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler,
2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

A few decent QBs, and a lot of bona fide losers.

Yes, you CAN lose with that #4 pick!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Unless Bradford has given his doctors permission to disclose info about his shoulder to teams interested in drafting him.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

But Shanahan thinks Heyer has "untapped potential".... ha.

Spiller would be a useful pick for a team that plans on using him more than 5 times a game. For us to take a RB with the #4 pick, it would have to be coupled with us releasing Clinton Portis (wouldn't be too upset if that happened but we need so many other things that I just dont see it happening)... thus to make it not just a return man pick.

Also, Hicks is much more of a guard, and is much better suited to come off the bench and play in spurts than he is to come in and start at RT. If the competition for RT is between Heyer and Hicks, sadly, Heyer will most likely win.... that is why we have to draft 2 Ts...1 to play LT and the other to at least give Heyer some real competition for the starting spot.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

As does Thomas and Moss don't they?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 29, 2010 11:46 AM

Thomas returned kicks. Moss returned punts, but I'm not sure it makes sense to expose the top receiver (with guaranteed money) to that kind of risk of injury.

Posted by: dcsween | March 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CByrd1 | March 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Well, duh. Do you think Bradford said "No, you can't talk to my doctor. You have to take my word for it."?

This is in Peter King's column this morning:

I asked Andrews what he'd say if the Rams and Redskins called and asked about Bradford's condition, and whether the quarterback was ready for the rigors of an NFL camp and season.

Too late. They already called. Andrews, who is a senior orthopedic consultant to the Redskins as well as one of the foremost independent orthopedic surgeons in the world, was unequivocal in his prognosis.

"I talked to the Rams, and told them Sam has no restrictions,'' Andrews said. "I gave him a clean bill of health. And I talked to the Redskins, of course, since I am affiliated with them. I told [owner] Dan Snyder, [GM] Bruce Allen and [coach] Mike Shanahan the same thing. I would have no reservations recommending him to them as the first pick.''

Only disturbing thing in here is that the Pud-in-Chief Snyder is still scouting. He should fix up Johnny Rockets so that Alex will go there on his burger crawl.

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked - tackling was part of the job description for Redskins CB, forget it, this guy had alligator arms with the Texans...Not even worth the vet minimum. Just another guy from the U

Posted by: ElYeah | March 29, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:58 AM

You live in Boston. You probably get your car serviced by Click and Clack.

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 10:35 AM

We actually only have 4 more picks...5 total.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 29, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

FREE SAFETY POSSIBILITY?

Posted by: laxpro95 | March 29, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

------------------------

Not iffy at all if the patient authorizes the release of the info, which is certainly in his best interests. Also, Dr. Andrews is actually on the Redskins payroll as a highly qualified orthopedic consultant. He has had a very close relationship with the team, so I'm sure there is credibility in what he says.

Peter King even mentioned this in his column this morning. No shenanigans here.

Posted by: McMetal | March 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

ls, I drive older Toyota's, so repairs are few and far between....most of the small stuff I do myself.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ya'll think too negatively!

I'm full drinking the Spiller-Aid!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 11:36 AM

Thank You...

Just so happens I finished building my bandwagon over the Weekend.....Welcome!

RealSkins TV coming Soon.....Follow ME on MY youtube Channel...ADogDC....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

NCICURN- and the other guy who commented a about Dr. James Andrews... He is affiliated with the skins and somehow works for Danny Boy. Thus, he is able to go into more with us than any team.

Also, I am sure Bradford has allowed him to discuss his health with teams in the NFL. It is in his best interest, if he is healthy, to allow this... and if he is not healthy, and he tells Dr. Andrews not to provide the info teams want... it will look as if he has something to hide and that will hurt his draft stock because people will assume he is not fully healed. As of now, all reports show that he is fully healed, but who knows really.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's another sour-grapes poster, still bitter because his application to Duke was rejected,...

Posted by: League-Source

League, people who hate Duke hate America, because, y'know coach K won the Olympics. Of course USA was in a weak bracket, got the benefit of the doubt from the Refs on every call, and the fix was in because they're good for ratings.

I like Duke for the same reason I liked the 69-70 Knicks. Because they are tough, tenacious, play D, play TEAM basketball, and most of all are smarter than their opponents.

Posted by: TheCork | March 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

don't be a hater rocky . . . THE U has given us some quality players and the previous 5 years would have been so much worse without them. You should get on your knees and thank whatever god you pray too that THE U exists and creates such dominate and dynamic players! If you don't have a god, ask Tebow and he will give you one / force one down your throat :-)

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

4 out of 32 isn't bad:

A couple of unexpected team moves can really screw up the guesswork.

Which reminds me, now that the scrubby underbrush have been cleared away (e.g., The Fighting Rescue Carriers of Cornell), I believe the time is right for "Fight, Fight, Rah Team Fight, Victory for MSU!"

Posted by: dcsween | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

4th, why not ustream?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Get a LT in the 2nd round

Means that Heyer is still the RT right??

Ok, you happy with that?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:45 AM

Based off of Shanny's comments that confirm my notion?

He was hurt last year and Shanny sees upside. New coaching staff.....We'll see....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't disagree with you. I'd be fine with them going nuts and drafting OTs in round 1 and 2.

I don't think they'll take a RB high, just doesn't seem like something Shanahan would do. At least not in the first round.

QB would be a different story though. I think if he falls in love with a prospect that he thinks could be the focal point of the franchise moving forward, he'll jump at it regardless of the offensive line's condition.

If he thinks he has the next Philip Rivers or even Peyton Manning on his hands, I don't see him saying... "pass, we need an offensive line first".

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 10:35 AM

Excuse me?
- Alkili Smith (3rd overall)
- Tim Couch (1st overall)
- Cade McNown (12th overall)
- Heath Shuler (3rd overall)

And here are all the 1st round QBs from since 2002:

2002: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey
2003: Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J. P. Losman
2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler,
2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

A few decent QBs, and a lot of bona fide losers.

Yes, you CAN lose with that #4 pick!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You're right Alan...we can also lose with the 25th pick in the draft...as a matter of fact, we ARE losing with the 25th pick in the 2005 draft.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think you folks are underestimating Spiller.

Give him 15 carries and a few Punt Returns....Get a LT in the 2nd round....LBs, CBs, and Oline in the later rounds...

Championship

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 11:37 AM

Nope, just going with the odds. Legit LT's are usually drafted high (and the skins need LT and RT). Decent RB's can be found later.

Posted by: skinswest | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

4th, why not ustream?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM

Cuz I am never upto date...

RealSkins TV......

Coming to UStream/YouTube/Facebook/Such AS Soon.....(Is tax season over yet?? Aye Aye Ayyye)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

I hear this argument all the time, but can anyone tell me when's the last time a return guy got hurt?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Santonio Holmes next steeler to run possibly afoul of the law.....being investigated for throwing a glass into the face of a woman at a club...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Have any of you cats seen Erykah Badu's new video? It's amazing what babies can do for a figure.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Jhavid Best in the 2nd round than Spiller in the 1st. Best is just as much of a game breaker as Spiller is, and I think he has a better chance at being an every down type back. Spiller is more like Reggie Bush than Chris Johnson.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM

We've also lost with every other draft pick and free agent we've had... hey, maybe it's more than just a QB problem!

I'm just glad adults are in chage now... There are an awful lot of Snyderatto disciples posting on RI!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 29, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

It only takes one time. But truly I think this is more about practice time than it is injury. Time spent with the return teams means time NOT spent with the offense.

Not that it's not possible, but it's not typical at the NFL level.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

LS, always the snark. I'm sure you are aware the Heels are in the Final Four of the NIT (Hey a championship is a championship). You should be thankful the Heels are down after they owned the members of this dook team for three years. And I didn't say dook wasn't the best team in its region. It was because its region was relatively weeeeeak. You should probably let "your school" win the title before talking sjk.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 28, 2010 10:20 PM

LH--I concede all points to you. You're right, though the "easy bracket" is a toss-up between Duke and Kentucky.

But, if I wait until Duke wins the title to talk sjk, half of us will be on social security and the other half dead. Duke isn't UNC -- We're lucky to get this close to the title. We're Final Four! We're Final Four!

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 29, 2010 12:09 PM

Upon what do you base your "smarter than their opponents" assertion?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

So Shanny has never drafted a RB this high and has had more success with lower round RB's then any other coach out there, but some of you are clamoring for a RB with the 4th overall?! And then expect Heyer to start at RT again?! I agree with dfbovey, I'd much rather take Best in the 2nd round, he presents more value for that pick.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I saw it when you posted it before.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think the most recent major injury was probably Jason Seahorn. Was a very good corner before sustaining an major knee injury on a punt return. Never really regained his stature or recovered, moved to FS and eventually retired.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to be sure, so that you'll not write "always the snark." Now you have to switch to something gentler like "ALMOST always..."

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Surfing web for pictures...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Ain't nuthin' wrong with Johnny Rockets. They bring the fries out when they are ready--so they don't get cold when you get your burger or frank. And they put a little Ketchup Smiley Face on the condiment plate. The help is friendly, the prices decent. You can get a fountain Vanilla coke, and they offer to refill it for free. They have a heavy Vanilla thumb, just like I like it.

On second thought, Snyder probably has nothing to do with running the place.

Posted by: TheCork | March 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM

There are 7 5-Star Tackles in the draft this year....

SEVEN!!

To set that in context here are how many 5 Star Tackles were available in previous years:

2010 - 7 (SEVEN!!)
2009 - 4
2008 - 4
2007 - 2
2006 - 1 (ONE!!!)
2005 - 3
2004 - 2
2003 - 3

Please....People, continue to tell me why we can't get a top notch LT at the top of the 2nd round??

That doesn't include all the 4 star tackles available...

You can drop down to previous years to see what tackles are in the NFL now and what their grades were.

Here are some notables who are currently starting and were not labeled 5 Star Tackle Prospects coming out of college:

Loadholt - 4 Star 2009
Rob Petitti - 3 Star 2005
Nick Kaczur - 3 Star 2005
Harvey Dahl - 2 Star 2005
Jordan Black - 2 Star 2003

Come On Maaaan....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Alan4, thats a true comment. People don't realize it but they continually recommend doing the same stuff that Snyderatto would have done. Taking Spiller with the 4th pick... 100% something they would have done. The flashy, skill position type picks that do not actually help the team improve. This team needs to redo its trenches. The only way I think we take anything but a tackle at 4 is if Bradford falls to us. I agree, if you think you have found the franchise QB, you have to go after it...

Thats the only way we will not take LT with #4, is if Clausen or Bradford are there and Shanny and Brucy are 100% sold on them. If they have any doubts, then they will take the tackle. You win football games by dominating the trenches, and that is something we have not done in the last 2-3 years, both offensively and defensively. You must control the line of scrimmage, or else you will not win consistently in this game.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 29, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

the fact Barnes could not get on the field and have ANY impact last year is somewhat disturbing for a #3 pick.

but then again this is the Redskins where the entire 2008 draft class was held out of action that season and into 2009 by Jim Zorn and our wonderfully knowledgeable coaching staff.

perhaps like Fred Davis when given an opportunity some of these other guys may actually be able to step up and play.

but I wouldn't go into 2010 with just rookies and untested guys behind Hall and Rogers.

the team needs a veteran corner that can still run on the outside.

Smoot simply lost speed. He came into the league running a 4.55 and just wasn't competitive any longer at that position.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 29, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins released Rock Cartwright and Antwaan Randle El, which
means they're in need of returners still."

That's just stellar grammar usage there, chief.

Jeez, don't you have to have SOME grammar skills to be a (heh...) "columnist"?

Posted by: fargincorksucker | March 30, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse