Randle El rejoins the Steelers

[UPDATED 8:01 p.m.]

Apparently, not everyone shared the Redskins' negative assessment of veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Among 10 players Washington released last week on the eve free agency, Randle El was the first former Redskin to find a new job when he agreed to terms Monday night with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Randle El began his career with Pittsburgh, which was among the reasons he re-signed with them instead of continuing contract talks with several of the other teams that pursued him.

"It's kind of like going home, yeah, that's what it feels like," Randle El said Monday night in a phone interview. "Going back to where I was drafted and where my roots started. I feel pretty good about the decision. Just want to go do some damage."

In his first stint with the Steelers, Randle El was a major contributor and helped the team win a Super Bowl title. The eight-year veteran was a productive punt returner and No. 3 receiver for Pittsburgh, and the Steelers plan to primarily use him as the third receiver during the 2010 season.

"We've talked about just playing No. 3 receiver. That's all we talked about," Randle El said. "I'm not even sure about punt return, now that I think about it. The way I always look at it, I'm going to go in and be No. 3.

"But if the other guys go down, certainly, I'll be the one to step in. I don't think I'm going to be sitting on the sideline watching. That's how I approach it."

The Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots were among the teams that expressed interest in signing Randle El.

"I had about six teams that were interested, so it's not as if it was just the Steelers," Randle El said. "That's where I started and I had a good vibe about it. When you get up in age, you kind of want to go to teams where you know they're basically going to take care of you. Not just in terms of practices and all that. But take care of you in terms of saying, 'We know this guy. He's a proven guy.' They understand.

"You know that's not a team that's just going to get rid of [veteran guys]. Indianapolis was in the mix. And that's certainly a team that understands what it means when it comes to veteran guys. Also the same thing with New England. They were also in the mix. That was another team that has veteran guys and ... the family-based teams, if you will, that understand that whole process and bringing veteran guys in."

Although being released surprised him, Randle El found a better fit for him.

"When I look at some of the guys they cut, I don't quite get it, but I'm not going to get into it anymore," he said. "I just have to leave it for what it is and move on."

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese  |  March 8, 2010; 7:46 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins must decide to commit to Hunter Smith or punt
Next: Chargers sign Marcus Mason

Comments

Glad to see he landed on his feet. Thanks for your service, ARE.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | March 8, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I don't think he's gonna be returning any punts. Maybe have a few bounce off his helmet, but actually returning them.......no.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | March 8, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese and Jason Reid

Because ARE was let go does not mean that the Skins assessment of him was negative. Why would you assume that?

Perhaps they thought that Moss, DT, MK and MM fit better w/their plans and ARE was released to give him a better chance to sign with another team?

Oh who am I kidding.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 8, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Was Randal El really Surprised that he got cut? Because I think he is the only one that was. He was grossly overpaid for his production. You wrote his base salary only, but he would have cost the team almost 4 million in cap space during 2011.

Bruce Allen made the best move for the team. That's what these players are going to have to learn now: it's always about what's best for the team, not the individual.

Posted by: Jason10 | March 8, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see he landed on his feet. Thanks for your service, ARE.

Posted by: skinsfan713

Thanks for the service?

Posted by: SkinEm1 | March 8, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Oddly enough its more about clearing cap space in an uncapped year than it is about his performance (punt returning aside).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 8, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

ARE is the type of player you bring in when you are solid in all positions. We are not there...

Posted by: BT23 | March 8, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 8, 2010 8:14 PM

No, it wasn't about cap space. It was about a huge roster bonus that he was due -- actual cash for a guy who's just not worth it. I'd like to see the contract numbers on his Steeler deal. League minimum plus a $1M signing bonus is my guess.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

he's lost a step, can't get separation, no RAC, always goes down right when hit, punt returns a laugher at best.

speaking of Steelers, I just wish we could re-sign Ryan Clark.

Posted by: greatteamdan | March 8, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Chargers dump Ladanian and pick up Marcus Mason. I didn't know LT was that bad or MM was that good.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Negative assessment? Releasing a player does not in and of itself indicate they made a "negative assessment" of him. Good Lord. What has happened to the Washington Post? This is embarrassing.

Posted by: themantoyou | March 8, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I just wish we could re-sign Ryan Clark.

Posted by: greatteamdan | March 8, 2010 8:21 PM

Too late. He just signed a four-year contract with the Steelers.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese and Jason Reid

Oh who am I kidding.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 8, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse
Money, money, money. Skins were saddled with a huge contract from when they signed him as a FA. He wasn't worth the contract. I can't imagine that Stillers gave him what he would have cost the Skins. He just wasn't worth the money to us.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 8, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

if he was surprised, then he and are R Thomas are taking the same "I believe I'm a perennial pro bowler even if I suck camel c**k" meds--and they're supplying our defensive backs a lot too. No one else is surprised and no one thought keeping either of them was even worth half their contract salary this year.

Posted by: pgugino | March 8, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

No secrets here. ARE was a 3rd receiver with the Steelers before he came here, and apparently they want him to be a 3rd receiver now. Great guy! But Randy Moss he ain't.

THANKS FOR THE SERVICE!

Posted by: BenThere | March 8, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace should all be ahead of him on the depth chart, so beats me how he's a #3. But that's someone elses concern now. No animosity but it was time for him to go.

Posted by: AdamCr | March 8, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Here you go:

Steelers re-sign Ryan Clark, bring back Randle El

Mar 8th, 2010 by Michael Perry

The Pittsburgh Steelers re-signed free safety Ryan Clark today to a four-year, $17 million deal.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 8, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Clark got four years, $17 million with the Steelers.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Meant for those asking about Ryan Clark.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 8, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Good one!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 8, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Does that me we can get Ryan Clark back???

Posted by: boricuabopper | March 8, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what's up with the Larry Foote visit?

Posted by: furious50 | March 8, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: themantoyou | March 8, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Thats part of the wonderful circular logic employed by the messageboard fatihful. "Oh my god, so and so got released/benched/etc, so it must have happened for a reason." Of course people rarely specify the possible reason which drives me nuts personally.

I mean does anyone ever consider that every now and then people make mistakes. Anyway now people are going to use a post like this as an excuse to sign every free agent available which is not what I'm trying to do. I just want people to stop saying "for a reason" without elaborating on the possibilities.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 8, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Its funny watching some of the vets that the skins are linked to getting over paid(Ryan Clark, Chad Clifton, Pashos?) My theory is, that the skins FO knew that the other teams would pay big contracts to anyone linked to be heading to Ashburn, and therfore maybe brought in some guys that they weren't "in love" with to differ attention from the guys they are really looking at. I think within the next few weeks we will see who they really have their eye on.

BTW.. I'm cool with Parker coming in for a 1-2 year deal.. Why not.. Uncapped year and one of the better backs available in FA.. Still would like to draft a back in the later rounds though

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 8, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr |

I was thinking the same thing. Wallace was a really good surprise, Holmes is probably their #1 and Ward had over 1,000 yards last year.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

From RI: ""With injuries and everything that went on last year, you saw five guys out there that didn't play very well together," Rabach said. "We were plugging holes. That definitely played into the performance of the offensive line. It takes time for an offensive line to gel together and get used to each other."

Given the generous contract the Skins gave Rab, who is a poor man's Jeff Sat, it looks like the Skins want to build a line with dudes that have good technique, discipline and smarts rather than road-grader brute strength. Does this mean that they will use #4 for a QB instead of a LT? We shall see. In his dying days at Den Shan drafted QB before LT, taking Cut in 2006 at 11 and Clad in 2008 at 12. Both selects turned out well.

Posted by: DLoad | March 8, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

What? No more of those silly car commercials with Clinton Portis?

Posted by: hbu_dog | March 8, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I liked the fact that the Skins didn't make the big splash; but teams are trading players, solid vets are signing. Let's get going Bruce. There are way too many holes on this team to not sign players.

Posted by: TWISI | March 8, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

You job is your credit.

But to turn down Indy? That seems like a mistake. I think I'd rather play with Peyton for a year than to play with the Steelers for two. Wonder what happened there.

Posted by: WorstSeat | March 8, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DLoad

Sort of.

Cutler wasn't that great for Denver, but Denver hit the mother load when they traded him. A starting QB + some nice picks.

Now Cutler isn't that great for Chicago.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what happened there.

Posted by: WorstSeat | March 8, 2010 9:16 PM

How about this? ARE figures that with Rothlisberger doing time for diddling that 20-year-old, he's gonna be starting at QB for two-three years.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr |

The number 3 receiver is the one who plays the slot. ARE is the second string number 3 receiver.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 8, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

No animosity but it was time for him to go.

Posted by: AdamCr | March 8, 2010 8:29 PM |

With him gone that leaves Cart as the lone survivor of the calamitous 2006 offseason that saw the Skins snag Arch, El, Lloyd and Cart and which the current regime seems determined not to repeat. Arch and Lloyd were outright disasters. El and Cart were not disasters performance-wise but the Skins overspent on them to the detriment of the rest of the roster.

Posted by: DLoad | March 8, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

At Eastern Motors, Motors your job's your credit, credit.

Posted by: hbu_dog | March 8, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Judd Zulgad, of Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings not interested in unrestricted free-agent RB Willie Parker (Steelers).

Posted by: skinfanman | March 8, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Cutler wasn't that great for Denver...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:17 PM

Actually, he was. He threw for 4,500+ yards, third most in the league. Cutler was the real deal in Denver.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's resident bacteriologist has the Terps getting a #5 seed. Quite a recovery from what looked like a career-ending loss to Bill & Mary back in Dec.

Posted by: DLoad | March 8, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Santana is going to move into the slot. I'm really curious to hear Shanny's assessment of DT and MK. I won't be surprised if he brings in another WR.

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 8, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently, not everyone shared the Redskins' negative assessment of veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El".

I love how reid puts a negative spin on every player the redskins cut. i.e Suisham, Springs, ARE.

Reid will lavish praise on ex players who deserved to be cut, always including a blurb how the "player is so happy to be on a family based team."

Its funny how when Suisham screws the pooch against the vikings in a playoff game, or Springs is inactive after practicing for the pats all week for like 3 straight games there isn't a peep. Guess Reid eats everything but crow. I won't hold my breath for a post if ARE lets one bounce off his shoulder pads if hes pressed into PR duties.

Also I don't care if the patriots were interested in him, they have a recent history of signing broke down old players who don't pan out. see shawn springs, joey galloway, fred taylor.

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 8, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

You guys listen To Randle El last week on Doc Walker?
He said he was surprised to be cut.

Excuse me?
None of us were surprised.
He was paid big $$ and did not produce, and seemed to have lost his heart and courage on punt returns.

Anyone know why Pitts signed him so early?
What could they have seen last year?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | March 8, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Antwaan...

What can you show us on film that could possibly justify us paying you what you were scheduled to make this year?

The only guy I would have kept for one more year was Fred Smoot (but I ain't losing no sleep over it)

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorstSeat |

Indy has WRs Gonzales, Collie, Garcon and Wayne, plus a very productive TE in Clark. Not sure why Indy would want ARE, he isn't better than any of those guys.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why Pitts signed him so early?
What could they have seen last year?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | March 8, 2010 9:39 PM

What they saw was the second most productive receiver on the Redskins and available for the vet minimum plus a ham sandwich. He still has game. They'll get their money's worth out of him. One story is that they'll cut Limas Sweed now and that will be a decent savings.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't be surprised if he got cut before the season...

SCRUB!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"What they saw was the second most productive receiver on the Redskins"

Whoop-de-feakin' Do! 2nd leading receiver on a 4-12 team.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 8, 2010 9:36 PM

Did you type that with your bottom lip pouting out?

Posted by: mack1 | March 8, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Indy, I think, was merely looking for ARE to be insurance to help return punts, and be a 4th WR if injury occurred.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | March 8, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't be surprised if he got cut before the season...

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:47 PM

I can see that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he plays two or three more years for the Steelers and makes a few plays for them. He'll also be good for them on special teams, though certainly not as a punt returner.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Cutler wasn't that great for Denver...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:17 PM

Posted by: League-Source

Not exactly the whole picture there. His 4500 yard season was just 1 of the 3 years he played in Denver. And that year, he had plenty of problems.

Cutler mistakes lost several games for Denver, not including the botched call vs SD in the opener when Cutler fumbled the game away and the refs' horrid call saved Cutler.

3rd in yards sounds great. But he was also 2nd in pass attempts, 2nd in INTs and just 16th in QB rating, about the same as Jason Campbell. Even though Cutler played behind a very good OL and had a good WR group.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Whoop-de-feakin' Do! 2nd leading receiver on a 4-12 team.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:49 PM

Well, all we have left now are guys who were the third, fourth, fifth leading receivers on a 4-12 team.

The 4-12 record wasn't his fault. He was more productive than most of the guys on offense.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why Pitts signed him so early?
What could they have seen last year?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | March 8, 2010 9:39 PM

Posted by: League-Source

ARE's move to Pitt was good for all. ARE can still play. We all knew he should be taken off PR long ago. What most didn't realize is that he would have been able to spend more time practicing as a WR, which would have helped him in his productive role.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 8, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoop-de-feakin' Do! 2nd leading receiver on a 4-12 team.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 9:49 PM

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 9:54 PM |

Well, and the 1st leading receiver.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 8, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Zeke--It was his second full year as a starter. He had a good year for Denver. His lowest QB rating in Denver was 86.0. Campbell's best QB rating in DC (last year) was 86.4.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

So ARE needs to look at his production with us and he'll find out why we cut him

Posted by: kickass10101 | March 8, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Even Virgil Seay was better than Antwan Randle-El

BY the Way...

What ever happended to that kid we had a few years ago...Antonio Brown...he returned a punt or two!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Even Virgil Seay was better than Antwan Randle-El

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 10:04 PM |

Now you're just playin' the fool. Virgil Seay was in the league four years and had 43 receptions. Dude never even started a game. That's your idea of a player? You should be bloggin about women's basketball.

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

some twitter news from Russellmania09 (106.7 the fan)

Interesting note here - the #Redskins only arranged a ONE-WAY ticket for Parker to fly to DC. Im told that is very unusual. #Steelers #Skins
10 minutes ago via web

#Redskins are out to dinner w/ RB Willie Parker right now. No deal will be made until TUES at earliest. He would be fine being # 1-A guy.
11 minutes ago via web

Former #Colts RG Ryan Lilja, a surprising release - has already recieved calls from 3 #NFL teams tonight - but #Redskins are NOT one of them
29 minutes ago via web

Posted by: TWISI | March 8, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 8, 2010 10:00 PM |

Don't need to quote stats. The dude did a terrif job himself of undermining his own argument by pointing out that the Bears surrendered a DLoad of draft picks to get Cut.

Posted by: DLoad | March 8, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Where is Foote?

Posted by: furious50 | March 8, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I like ARE. But fact is, we kept him at least one year too long. He got free when he wanted to. And when he " punt returned", he would catch the ball and then curl up in the fetal possition...,that's provided that he actually caught the ball!! Not sad to see him go.

Posted by: dswarn | March 8, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Chargers, pick former Redskins RB Marcus Mason off of wavers

Posted by: dashriprock | March 8, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Leagure Source-

Should we put ARE in the "Ring of Honor"?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

mmm hmmm, to those who say he sucks, steelers disagree

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 8, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Should we put ARE in the "Ring of Honor"?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 10:23 PM |

He might be a cand for the "Ring Around Uranus".

Posted by: DLoad | March 8, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

With ARE, the Steelers are now contenders!

(sarcasm)

Posted by: rickyroge | March 8, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Damn you, Marcus Mason, you'll be sitting pretty all next September, taunting us from the middle of the Chargers' practice squad, making just enough of us Up Here hope beyond all possible hope that you could be here challenging for a spot on Teams.

Posted by: daggar | March 8, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

beeps, probably bemoaning the loss of Mason...
How will we go on without Him?

Posted by: daggar | March 8, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

i just read this, so many things about the statements coming from this guy bother me. he is basically saying: "I'm old, I need a team where I will not held accountable for my play regardless if it's good or bad."

Posted by: BMACattack | March 8, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

right on! we saw flashes of what he could do last year in the slot. the guy's still got game and it's a shame to see him go, but he'll have a better chance at the playoffs with that team in his remaining years(unless their QB gets into some kind of trouble :O

Posted by: druppe01 | March 8, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: druppe01 | March 8, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Why do i get the feeling that J Reid just lost another of his sources?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 8, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

ARE's comments point out how right the Redskin's new brain trust were to can his lame azz.

Overpaid, overhyped, over inflated sense of self worth.

L8.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 8, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear skins fans. My girlfriend who is a long time steelers fan laughed at me when we got him! She told me "All he is going to do is do his little spin around and run in circles". Well.. umm she was right. Now I am the won laughing!!! She is so mad!! lol!!!

Posted by: gawnpostal | March 9, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Dang I need to proof reed

Posted by: gawnpostal | March 9, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he did not liking running to hard because he was scared of putting a crease in his shoes!!!

Posted by: gawnpostal | March 9, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

In Schottenheimer's (sp?) one year he did little in free agency which put the Skins in good cap position the following year. Does anyone know what their cap situation will be next year? By laying low are they putting themselves in great position next year to take advantage of all the RFA's hitting the market?

I don't remember Ryan Clark's cover skills but I'd like to see a FS signed to put LL back to SS. Rolle would have been nice but they can't have another top paid player at their position. All I want for my birthday is Okung at LT.

Posted by: potsy536 | March 9, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Only way the Steelers send ARE out for punts is if they need a fair catch. Punt RETURN indicates running FORWARD with the ball, a quality ARE apparently no longer possesses.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 9, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Just another forgettable player who passed through the Redskins system collecting a large Dan Snyder paycheck.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | March 9, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

When Big Ben joins Tiger in sex rehab, maybe ARE will be the #2 QB, lol.

A legend in his own mind...good riddance.

Posted by: howjensen | March 9, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Another good football player who did not succeed in Washington. The owners attack dogs Andy Pollin, Tony Kornheizer and Steve Czaben can personally attack this guy like they do with everyone else. But He is a good player and will end up with several years of production somewhere else. Amazing that New Orleans defense won the super bowl. The Saints beat Manning, the best quarterback in the NFL today. The Saints also beat hall of famer Brett Favre and the Cardinals, another hall of famer. But Andy Pollin, Steve Czaben and Kornheizer, none of who have ever played a snap of tackle football are on the attack night and day. I have a suggestion for little Danny's attack dogs. Turn them off. Just say no. Randle El is a very good person. He did a lot in the Washington area. Much more than Kornheizer does jumping checks at Washington restaurants. He is also a good football player. Probably not a number one or two receiver but a professional wide reciever just the same. Until the attack dogs take a snap turn them off.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | March 9, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

The problem I had with ARE was his size. And the fact that he went down immediately after getting hit. Just didn't play big enough, particularly last season. He made some clutch plays in seasons past. Good luck in the burgh.

Posted by: MJR720 | March 9, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

at what salary?

Posted by: hz9604 | March 9, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck Randel-el

It didn’t work here, but our free agent acquisitions seldom do.

Posted by: dc4life | March 9, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

The numbskulls here never gave Randle-El an opportunity to produce. Watch him return to very good receiver back in Pitts.

"Oh, here Antwawn--run back punts for us". BFD.

Posted by: djv123 | March 9, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

How much you wanna bet this donkey makes the Pro Bowl this season?

I swear, the Skins can't win. Almost every time they get a guy that plays well somewhere else, he bombs here.

Karma Danny Boy, Karma...

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 9, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

At certain points in the season Randle El and Cooley were killing teams working the middle of the field! then it seemed Zorn would abandon that and go back to stretch running plays left, stretch play right and the drive would stall.

Randle El is a solid 3rd WR. The problem with the skins is they never had a plan and poorly evaluate talent to fit into offensive or defensive schemes. in the past 4-5 years we have drafted 3 WRs-TE with high draft picks. In the same period we resigned our pro-bowl TE and signed to modest priced WRs in Randle El and Brandon Lloyd (remember him?). In the end, the problem is not the players it was the player evaluation.

Let's put this out there too. Santana Moss is not a #1 WR either. he would be incredible opposite a real #1, like a Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 9, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Good for ARE. I wanted him gone, but he was always a stand-up guy. Now, he might be able to get back to the successful trick plays that made him famous in Pittsburgh the first time.

As for returning punts...uggghhh

Posted by: dc1020008 | March 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Now Campbell has lost two of his favorite behind the line-of-scrimmage receivers - Betts and ARE. He's probably thinking to himself, "Man, what am I gonna do next season? I might actually have to throw the ball downfield with some type of accuracy."

Posted by: dc1020008 | March 9, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"I don't understand...some of the guys they cut"....... HUH?

Maybe Randle El doesn't understand it but I do.

The Redskins were reducing payroll by releasing veterans nearing or over 30 whose performances were in decline due to age or injury.

Not that hard to figure out.

I am mystified that Randle El is mystified.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 9, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Interesting question -- is Hines Ward going to make it into the HOF? I'd have thought no, but if he duplicates his 2009 season, he'll be about 8th all time in receptions with 2 Super Bowl wins. He's a lot closer to a spot in Canton than I thought. That question is a no brainer. First ballot. He leads the Steelers in just about every receiving category imaginable and has the rings to show for it.

Posted by: tsamm | March 9, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it The Redskins are a black hole when it comes to utilizing talent. If Joe Montana was with the Redskins he would probably be on special teams...LOL

Posted by: tsamm | March 9, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Overpaid? Overhyped?

I couldn't agree more. Everyone else in the world knew that when the Danny signed him. He was a niche player for the Steelers who played special teams, ran gadget plays and served as the #3 or 4 in multple receiver sets. Then he made a big play in the Super Bowl and the Danny just HAD to have him, so he went out and signed him to a starter's contract, when everyone KNEW that's not what he was. That's exactly why the Steelers let him walk, despite his productivity and popularity.

So, who's fault is that? If you pony up Mercedes money for a Cooper Mini, it's kind of stupid to get mad at the car.

Posted by: jeffgraham117 | March 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see it play out. Remember Trotter went back to the Eagles and made the probowl once more. Larry Hughes was injury prone, but he played his best basketball here in DC. If nothing else this is proof positive that just because they are available, it doesn't mean they will perform on your team.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | March 9, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

ARE was a one-man team in Indiana, capable of creating an upset during a strong era of the Big Ten. He's too old to return kicks, but the Skins really wasted his talent for trick plays, improvisations, and passing on the run.

What I don't understand is, if you're going to cut back on "old" guys, why release three workout warrior/practice leaders like ARE, Betts and Cartwright? While keeping "I don't practice" Portis? What does that say to the younger guys on the team, besides, wait for your contract year and get out?

Posted by: wilkerso | March 9, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse