Redskins make no sudden moves

[Updated at 12:55 a.m.]
The Redskins did not pull the trigger on any big free agents in the opening minutes of free agency, and, in fact, apparently have fallen behind on the sweepstakes for a top defensive target. Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers already has a visit scheduled to Chicago on Friday, where the Bears are eager to sign a pass rusher.

The Chicago Tribune spoke with Peppers's agent shortly after free agency began and reported that the Bears were the first team to call and made a "substantial offer."

It was believed that if the Redskins couldn't land Peppers, they would make a push for Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby. In a phone interview shortly after midnight, Dansby said that the only trip he has scheduled is to Miami.

"But Washington is definitely a place I'm looking at," he said. "My gate is wide open right now. I'm going to take every visit. I'm going in to every team to see what type of piece of the puzzle will I be.

"I want to fit in just right. I want to be in a perfect situation and do my part. That's what I'm looking for in these organizations. I'm still waiting on my agent to text me back about [visits] as we speak, but Miami is definitely one of 'em right now. I'm going to go down there to see how I would fit in Miami."

With Peppers already scheduling a trip to Chicago, Washington would have a difficult time re-entering the race -- if, in fact, it ever truly was in the race. Free agents don't typically go to cities to tour the museums and sample the restaurants. There will be a contract waiting for Peppers to sign, and the Bears won't likely let him leave town until he has put his name to paper.

Bears Coach Lovie Smith landed in Charlotte early Friday morning to meet with Peppers and his agent, Carl Carey. The three were expected to fly back together to Chicago later Friday.

As for Dansby, he would welcome a trip to Ashburn.

"I do my homework, man," Dansby said. "Any team that wants me to visit, I do homework on 'em. I have to know how would I fit in. I know about Washington."

By Rick Maese and Jason Reid  |  March 5, 2010; 12:29 AM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Casey Rabach signs three-year contract with Redskins, avoids free agency
Next: Defensive end Babin on Redskins' radar

Comments

whoa, the skins not overspending, thats a good sign

Posted by: arbano1 | March 5, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

No news is good news.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 5, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

RickMaese

RT @SI_PeterKing Heard Bruce Allen is riding herd on building to skip on biggest FA names, clean up own house, and win secondary FA battles

Posted by: will_ga | March 5, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

******

That sounds like a truly different approach . . . and a very good sign for the future.

Posted by: manlius1 | March 5, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

RickMaese

Posted by: will_ga | March 5, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Excellent.

Schefter ranting about the same theme live right now, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 5, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

RT @RavensInsider According to league source, Eagles free agent pass rusher Jason Babin on radar of #Redskins, Broncos and Jaguars

Posted by: TWISI | March 5, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

WOW, the bears are becoming the new off-season champs. Chester Taylor also visiting the bears per PFT.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 5, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Schefter ranting about the same theme live right now, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

I just heard this as well. According to Schefter all those rumors about the Skins going after Peppers and other big names were just that...rumors. Schefter said the Skins plan to be patient and are taking a wait and see approach.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 5, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Man, I got all dressed up for this?

Posted by: isnadd | March 5, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Broncos are raiding the Ravens for Dlmen

Posted by: TWISI | March 5, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

BA earning his bucks all day today.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 5, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Yawn... haha... wow... looks like skins are going to spend a lot of money on a lot of players & not just one player... hmmmm... what a concept, more good football players = better team.

Posted by: tony325 | March 5, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Damn, Matt Turk is off the market.

Hope we can resign Hunter Smith (seriously).

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 5, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Responsible management, wow it feels different. Guess I won't need the valium after all.

Posted by: will_ga | March 5, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the best news is no news.

Guess I'll check back in the morning...

Posted by: edvar | March 5, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

JR, I don't think Pepper was ever in redskins plans. I know you are hurting that redskins are doing everything the right way, but just hang on, you will be hurting even more when they start winning.

GO REDSKINS

Posted by: capitolteacher | March 5, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Hope yall like Jason Babin, supposedly contract negotiations are ongoing...

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 5, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Jasno and NFLN at a loss at to why the Skins are so quiet.

A new culture in Redskins land.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 5, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

RickMaese

Karlos Dansby says "Washington is definitely a place I'm looking at"

That's a good thing.

Posted by: will_ga | March 5, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

LOL the media is clueless... they didn't see this coming with BA running the show??? All the signs were there... and it started when Dan Snyder sat in the audience sans SB trophies at Shanny's intro press conference. It continued with the cutting of all the players today.

Culture Change. Embrace it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 5, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

beeps if anyone is out there.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 5, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Methinks Shanahan took a look at the film, saw a talented core of young players, and feels that he can address the major holes (like O-line) through the draft.

Next season we're going to see just how much of a difference a coach can make for a team. With the group that Zorn managed to win 4 games with, Shanahan will turn into a playoff contender.

Posted by: psps23 | March 5, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Honk, honk from the 216.

Working the night shift...thought our Skins were going to make a huge splash, but it doesn't appear to be the case

Posted by: mohammed10 | March 5, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

sounds like the redskins aren't pursuing either Peppers or Dansby, one guy already has an offer from Chicago without sniffing D.C. and the other says "i'd welcome a visit to Ashburn"? i thought the skins were really going after these guys? or was it just hearsay? more great rumor-mongoring reporting from Jreid

Posted by: destewar | March 5, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

look at psp already talking playoffs. geez.

Posted by: ewww | March 5, 2010 4:53 AM | Report abuse

GO REDSKINS

Posted by: capitolteacher |

Let that bama-as dude hurt...go back to SoCal JReid....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 5, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

rumor-mongoring reporting from Jreid
Posted by: destewar

He heard it from Harvey....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 5, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that the problem is Snyder's plane is out of commission :)

Posted by: fearturtle44 | March 5, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

The Snyder Era just keeps getting more frustrating.

Dan Snyder’s winning philosophy obviously mirrors that of George Steinbrenner. They both over-pay for talent to try and win championships, excite the fan base, and sell as much merchandise as possible.

In the NFL, this approach, while intriguing each off-season, has not worked for Dan Snyder or the perpetually optimistic yet frustrated Redskin’s fan base.

Yes, fans appreciate that Dan Snyder is willing to spend money on players – the reverse is worse – but he has chosen poorly and consistently left the team’s talent cupboard bare and susceptible to season-blowing key injuries.

Now, when that annoying salary cap is off the table and a guy like Dan Snyder can really do what he does best, he finally comes to the realization that building through the draft is the wise choice for long-term success.

Nice timing, Mr. Snyder.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 5, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Peppers is over rated. If he doesn't get his way he gets moody and won't play at his full potential. He still acts like a child when he doesn't get his way. Like most over paid athletes I'm glad Carolina cut him, let him go to the Bears

Posted by: Timmid | March 5, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse