Report: Chad Clifton re-signs with Packers

The Redskins' first free agency visitor will not be signing with Washington, but their second guest is still in play.

Left tackle Chad Clifton will re-sign with Green Bay, according to an ESPN.com report.

The Redskins are still in hot pursuit of another tackle. San Francisco's Tony Pashos was spotted by a Comcast SportsNet crew Friday night having dinner with Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive line coach Chris Foerster.

Clifton, 33, entered free agency reportedly with a $5 million-a-year offer from Green Bay but seeking closer to $7 million per year. He tested the market and opted to return to the Packers, where he's set to earn $20 million in a three-year deal, according to ESPN.com.

Clifton was one of two tackles who visited Redskins Park on Friday. Pashos was also in Ashburn, but he left the facility without signing a contract. He's expected to visit other teams before making any decisions, though that could change.

Pashos played for Foerster in San Francisco and Baltimore.

The Redskins are in need of a new left tackle to replace Chris Samuels, who announced his retirement Thursday.

By Rick Maese  |  March 5, 2010; 8:05 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No buzz at start of free agency is clearest sign yet of the Redskins' change of direction
Next: Redskins not a factor as Karlos Dansby signs with Dolphins

Comments

I'll take a 29 year old LT over a 33 year old LT all day long...and twice on Sundays!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 5, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Not the old skins, I like the way today has gone. Teams that are active today are acting out of desperation.

Posted by: last1 | March 5, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

As if the Redskins aren't desperate.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 5, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: last1 | March 5, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

It's fun watching other teams make the mistakes for once.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I like the fact of Larry Foote coming to town on monday and I hope that shanny and the boys can work out a deal with Pashos. Having a starting LT come in would really help to shape up the draft. If the Rams take Sammy Bradford with the first overall pick, I think you have to take Okung with the 4th pick, leaving the 2nd round pick to take someone like Colt McCoy or LeFevor, maybe even Clausen if he slips. If Bradford is there with the 4th pick, I think you take him and pick up your starting RT in the 2nd round, hoping that he can develope into the starting LT in a few years. Even if you take OKUNG, you can start him at RT and move him to the LT in a few years, look at what the Rams did with Jason Smith this year.

Posted by: PanteraCFH | March 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Troy Smith -- that's the guy we should add to the roster to replace Collins

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Troy Smith -- that's the guy we should add to the roster to replace Collins

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

If B-more releases him them by all means let's bring him in. It'll take a while for my hatred of all things suckeye to subside but I could come to support him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 5, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The thing that I actually like about the quiet free agency is that it is a very weak FA class. Out of the 200 RFA that didn't hit the market this year because of the lack of a new CBA, most of those players will become UFA next year. That is when I would expect Shanny and company to start to make a splash into things. Out of all the players available in this class, the youngest out there is 28..... Next year, you will see that 28 will start to become more of the second tier free agents. Most of the people around the league are tipping their hats to shanny and co. because it is a weak FA class and say that it'll pay off by saving the money that you would spend on a weak class for a much better class next year

Posted by: PanteraCFH | March 5, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Pashos as a LT.

Posted by: TWISI | March 5, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

They're going to use the draft as they should ... everyone is open game as trade bait under the scenario of this uncapped year. They will undoubtedly trade for picks. The more picks, the more quickly they fill open slots.

Posted by: periculum | March 5, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 5, 2010 8:42 PM |

You and me both...multiple beepage

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 5, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

beep 2x

Posted by: TWISI | March 5, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I've mentioned before that I think teams really need to understand their top 30 -- where you expect guys to play a lot, every year, and to be around for 6 years or so. With the recent purge, here's my update.

Skins top 30, adjusted for a 3-4 defense:

OL: Rabach, Dockery + 3 tbd (Heyer, BMW, Jones)
QB: Campbell + tbd (Colt)
TE: Cooley
WR: Moss, Thomas, Kelly
RB: Portis, Ganther, Sellers

DL: Albert, Carter, Daniels, Golston, Jarmon
LB: Orakpo, Fletcher, Rocky, + 1 tbd (Wilson)
DB: Rogers, Hall, Landry, Doughty, Horton, Tryon
ST: Alexander

The guys that are most likely to be gone before 2012 due to age:
Daniels, Fletcher, Portis, Sellers, Jones and maybe Moss.

Guys that have a good chance at going elsewhere:
Campbell, Rogers, Carter

Guys that haven't proven themselves:
Ganther, BMW, Heyer, Wilson, Jarmon, Colt

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 5, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Pashos is a RT.....and he went to dinner with the Skins management.

Posted by: PCinOz | March 5, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

The next few days will tell us a great deal about the coming years. Watch closely my friends. If we do not leave here with a LT, then the new boys are trying too hard to be the opposite from the old boys. A LT in free agency is paramont to everyting. I'm OK on passing on Clifton, if they can sign can sign Pashos. Even if you're a Okung guy and not a Bradford/Clausen guy; you have to realize the power and options having a decent QB (Campbell) and a decent LT (free agency) gives us with with a #4 position draft.

Troy Smith? please put that crack pipe away and go to sleep.

Posted by: elderdave1 | March 5, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Someone previously mentioned the Skins trading players for picks. Which of our "assets" do you think others would be willing to give up 2010 draft picks for? I'm just not sure it's going to happen even though I'd be thrilled if we could stockpile some picks in this deep draft. Also if Bradford is selected before the 4th pick, it's feasible that the Redskins could trade down a few picks to 8 or 9 in order to pick up a few more additional picks.

Also I'm surprised that we never hear any speculation about SMoss being traded. It seems that he could possibly be had for a 2nd rounder or high 3rd round draft pick. At this stage in his career, he doesn't have too much left in the tank. And he's been off-and-on the past two seasons. I would field offers for him while he may still have some value to other teams.

Posted by: humen8r | March 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: humen8r | March 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Bruce Allen. I'm not used to this inactivity. Go get Fast Willie Parker or something.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 6, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

For those that were disappointed we didn't sign Clifton read this from one of the Packer blogs...

"It's not saying much to say that Clifton is our best option at LT--except to be a sad commentary on the state of our OL. Clifton is average now and I'm not sure if he'll even be average this year--his knees are pretty much done. He can't be counted on to play all the games--he can't even be counted on to play 60% of the games/snaps. You never know when he's going to go down and you can't be sure he'll be healthy for the playoffs. However, you can count on Clifton to have 1-2 false start penalties per game and to give up one big hit or sack. Just because our cupboard is bare doesn't mean we should overpay for a washed up Clifton."

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | March 6, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse

"It's not saying much to say that Clifton is our best option at LT--except to be a sad commentary on the state of our OL. Clifton is average now and I'm not sure if he'll even be average this year--his knees are pretty much done. He can't be counted on to play all the games--he can't even be counted on to play 60% of the games/snaps."

I don't think Clifton is 'washed up' but he's definitely had some health problems. He started 12 games last season, missed four others entirely, and needed rotation help through the season.

On the other hand, Pashos is a right tackle.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 6, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse