Report: Redskins sign running back Larry Johnson

The Redskins have signed running back Larry Johnson to a three-year deal, according to an ESPN.com report. Check back here shortly for more information.

By Matthew Rennie  |  March 12, 2010; 5:27 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Foote scheduled to visit Steelers on Monday
Next: Larry Johnson signs with Redskins

Comments

And of course as soon as I posted this on the previous board - this pops up haha. Welcome to DC LJ.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | March 12, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

nice

Posted by: BMACattack | March 12, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home Larry. A while ago when he was very young, he used to be my favorite football player dating back to Penn State all th way up to is "prime" years in KC.

Posted by: ATLredskin | March 12, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Is this going to be another Shaun Alexander? Me hopes not. Welcome to the craziest show on earth LJ...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 12, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting....is this Terry Allen/Ernest Byner career 2.0 type deal or S. Alexander...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 12, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

2004 called, it wants its awesome running back tandem back.

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | March 12, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jonathan6 | March 12, 2010 5:29 PM

In all fairness, this one was up a good two minutes before it was posted on the last one.

Posted by: dcsween | March 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Same story appeared on PFT. So, it must be true. It even got on PFT before BeantownGreg could post it here.

Posted by: League-Source | March 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392 | March 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

2004 called, it wants its awesome running back tandem back.

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | March 12, 2010 5:32 PM

If only ... my kingdom for Priest Holmes ... I should be careful not to conjure something (or someone) up by saying that name.

Posted by: dcsween | March 12, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

3 years? Maybe 1. Move sucks.

Posted by: furious50 | March 12, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins running back Larry..." I haven't heard that since Larry Brown, now I'll just have to get used to hearing Johnson at the end.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 12, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Three year contract for a 30 year old RB? That has a real not-re-building-y feel to it ... unless this is going to be a Highlander-type showdown with Portis (and there can be only one).

This isn't 2004 ... this is Vikings 2010 Lite. CP + LJ not quite > AP + LT.

Posted by: dcsween | March 12, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

So the anti-dote to a worn-down prima donna running back is to... sign a worn down prima donna running back to steal his limelight!

My reaction is merely, 'meh', because we likely aren't going to have the luxury of getting a RB this draft, Portis will be gone after this season, and I haven't seen the contract numbers to freak out on yet.

Heck, let the guy return punts, yeah?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 12, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I bet it is an incentive laden contract with little guaranteed.

Posted by: mussdd | March 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Portis (27) has more yards than Johnson (30), but it also seems like he has more mileage ...

LJ injury history:

Portis injury history:

Posted by: dcsween | March 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I bet it is an incentive laden contract with little guaranteed.

Posted by: mussdd | March 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

ABP-- ANYBODY but Portis!!!

Posted by: iubiquity | March 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

If two old guys like Portis and Johnson can get them thru next season at least, that'll save them from having to draft one til next year. RB's don't typically take a lot of time to develop. Rebuild the O-line in the draft!

Posted by: skinswest | March 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Those 29 starts from last season have been replaced by 11 starts in the Redskins' three free agency signings thus far -- three for Artis Hicks and eight for Sean Ryan.

By Rick Maese | March 12, 2010; 2:51 PM ET

Up your nose, with a rubber hose, Rick Maese! Larry Johnson got 7 starts last year. So, we've only signed four guys and now we're up to 18 starts. Do, you dig the upgrades?

I have studied math, so I can explain it to you. 4 guys, 18 starts. That's 4.5 per guy.

We cut 10 guys with 27 starts. That's 2.7 starts per guy. How much better are we doing? 4.5 is 166% of 2.7. Do you get it?

We're two thirds better than we were, and you ain't seen nothin' yet. We're gonna draft a bunch of guys who started 10 or 12 games last year and we'll be 200% or 250% better. That means 12 or 14 wins.

Posted by: League-Source | March 12, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Sure isn't math League Source is smoking.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 12, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

LJ Career 82 G 1421 car 6219 yds 75.8 yds/game 4.4 avg 55 TDs

154 Rec 1373 Yds 16.7 yds/game 8.9 avg 78 long 6 Tds 15 fum 9 fum lost

CP Career 108 G 2176 car 9696 yds 89.8 yds/game 4.5 avg 73 TDs

242 Rec 1963 Yds 18.2 yds/game 8.1 avg 74 long 5 TDs 29 fum 19 fum lost

I like the move, I wouldn't worry about the 3 year deal...He won't see the 3rd year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 12, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Bad... I'm a big time football fan and Redskins fan, but this is bad. This guy should be out of the league.

Check 'Leagal Troubles' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Johnson_(American_football)

I don't need a spotless football team, but I just can't be a fan with this guy on the team.

Posted by: nickapeed | March 12, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

2 self-absorbed malcontents trying to coexist. This ought to be good. Who can exhort the least amount of effort? Does anyone know LJ's practice habits?

Posted by: iubiquity | March 12, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nickapeed | March 12, 2010 5:54 PM

Apparently LJ is such a homophobe that he won't even fight men. Can’t a guy get a 5th or 6th chance in a position of need?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 12, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 12, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nickapeed |

Can't believe I am saying this but he is an even bigger jerk than CP!

Posted by: iubiquity | March 12, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I would be concerned if Shanahan wasnt in control. Portis could benefit from having a guy like LJ over his shoulder...they are both older so i expect a young guy to be drafted also.

Posted by: MadeRED | March 12, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Inside the five, third down, LJ and Portis in the backfield, a revamped O line, two tight ends .......I can dream.

Posted by: mussdd | March 12, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

We still need a speed back.

Posted by: kenobill | March 12, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
====== http://elurl.com/atn =====
fr ee sh i pp ing

(jordan shoes) $32

(air max) $34
++++ http://elurl.com/atn ++++++++++
+++

wow

▍ ★∴
   ....▍▍....█▍ ☆ ★∵ ..../
   ◥█▅▅██▅▅██▅▅▅▅▅███◤
   .◥███████████████◤
 ~~~~◥█████████████◤~~~~

Posted by: ggitkonlyyou | March 12, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, this is garbage. LJ and CP "inspiring" one another???? LJ was overpaid. Larry Foote could have been overpaid or an OL/OG/OT but a 30 year old RB??? I prefer Ganther at $750K or Rock at $1 mil. LJ at $4 mil is assanine! CP should have been cut for salary cap GT OUUTA JAIL FREE! If he doesn't go, then we WASTED the offseason. Why would you pay CP for 3 or 4 years? WHY? If Shanny doesn't axe him then he and BA are garbage too. Even if CP does have 1-2 years max he still ain't worth the cap hit. PAY THE F*CK and be done with VINNY-ECONOMICS and TURN THE PAGE! CP and LJ quals a step back. PROTEST this SH!TE and don't be blind.

Posted by: furious50 | March 13, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse