Restricted FA Montgomery re-signed

The Redskins have announced the re-signing of offensive lineman Will Montgomery. Montgomery, a four-year veteran, appeared in all 16 games last season and started three at guard. He was one of five linemen to start at the right guard spot in the turbulent 2009 season.

Montgomery was a restricted free agent and was tendered an offer by the team last week. By signing his tender, he's now off the market. He becomes the Redskins' second restricted free agent to sign on for next season, joining Lorenzo Alexander.

By Rick Maese  |  March 13, 2010; 1:46 PM ET
Categories:  Free agency , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Clinton Portis-Larry Johnson backfield: What's it all about?
Next: Haynesworth will take first step in new system as workouts start Monday

Comments

About 3 hours late. Great job.

Posted by: FudgeDanSnyder | March 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Not sure that's a better plan than acquiring draft picks, plummeting to the bottom of the heap and rebuilding from there.

With Snyder making the hiring decisions, it may be the best way to ensure job longevity.

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 1:47 PM

Cork--

"Snyder making hiring decisions?" Brilliant. Snyder had never even heard of Hicks or Ryan before he signed their first paycheck.

"Acquiring draft picks" isn't a plan, it's a dream. No one's trading draft picks this year. Boldin was the big deal -- went for a 3rd and a 4th, but Arizona had to give up its fifth. Didn't Cromartie go for a 3 and a 4 in next year's draft?

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Portis + Johnson = PortaJohn backfield
Hopefully both will keep their sewage traps shut and just play.

Posted by: minorthread

I've got the t-shirt press ready on this one.

"Our backs smell the hole."

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 13, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

its a group like this, Montgomery, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer, Artis Hicks, Paul Fanaika, Kory Lichtensteiger, Clint Oldenburg, Edwin Williams and Will Robinson..... that made me want to sign Clifton Pashos...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 1:47 PM

Cork--

Posted by: League-Source |

I guess I wasn't clear enough for you, but when I say "hiring decisions" it refers to non-players, coaches, etc--such as Shanahan.

When they add players it's by "drafting" them, or "signing" them.

So my reference was the current coach making sure he lasts longer than the single year given to Shottenheimer & Zorn.

Did that clear it up for you, or should I send you a pop-up book?

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post Poll
Was signing Will Montgomery a good move? Yes or No

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source |

I think teams are going slow, trying to suss out what the cap free year and lord know what will happen in 2011 future will hold.

But by draft day, teams anxious to restock immediately may be more willing to part with draft picks. If, for instance, someone really covets Bradford, and he's there when the 'skins pick, they might make a Sanchez-like offer the skins can convert into more picks, this year or next.

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Not a good move , on montgomery

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | March 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Not a good move , on montgomery

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | March 13, 2010 2:38 PM

Yeah, any guy who appeared in 16 games last year is definitely someone that we shouldn't sign to a new contract.

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"The offensive linemen currently under contract for 2010 include: Montgomery, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer, Artis Hicks, Paul Fanaika, Kory Lichtensteiger, Clint Oldenburg, Edwin Williams and Will Robinson."

What about Rinehart?
Or did we trade him for a 6-pack and a pizza?

Posted by: jberry73 | March 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Portis + Johnson = PortaJohn backfield
Hopefully both will keep their sewage traps shut and just play.

Posted by: minorthread | March 13, 2010 1:30 PM
____________

Minor-T so funny!

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 13, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

About three hours late. Great job.
Posted by: fudgedansnyder

hmmm...will Montgomery...back-up OL...only signed his one year tender...not really big news...

Glass half empty kind of guy, huh?

Posted by: BigE44 | March 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The Dallas Cowboys have responded with their new Honey-Dipper Defense.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post Poll
Was signing Will Montgomery a good move? Yes or No

Posted by: RedskinJim1

You're really reaching for a topic there. Since when did Will Montgomery become Leigh Torrence?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 13, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! I mean just WOW...after reading and coming to this blog for years now....

I got used to the negative whining and complaining about everything the Skins did..

i at least thought maybe things would tone down a bit since vinnie was fired and we NOW have a GM..which everybody wanted...a decent coach that everyone wanted and a new direction and not over paying players which everyone wanted....

And the same old people are still whining and complaining about every move the new guys make! WOW JUST WOW!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

So what? Montgomery played because there was little to no other options along the line. He appeared in 16 games and did nothing to distinguish himself.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | March 13, 2010 3:02 PM |

Once a whiner always a whiner I guess. Pretty sad isn't it?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

He appeared in 16 games and did nothing to distinguish himself.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:06 PM |

Thats usually a good thing for an olinemen.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:06 PM

Agree to agree, k_square! Time to move on.

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"ksquared"

-You don't get it. He's a depth player. I would wanna keep a guy who played in all 16 games. People think that teams have Hall of Famers on the bench. You keep a guy like Montgomery...these are the ones that can spell you a few games in case of an injury.

Who would you like to sign for depth?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Starke, Jacoby, May, Grimm and Bostic

Did'nt realize how big Jacoby was...6'7" 305....

Damn...that's a huge man!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Did'nt realize how big Jacoby was...6'7" 305....

Damn...that's a huge man!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:15 PM

Especially for when he played.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Dave Butz was one of the most underrated defensive tackles

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I LOVED Kelvin Bryant!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't that big of a Stephen Davis fan...sorry!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Thats usually a good thing for an olinemen.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Really? He wasn't a starter, hell he wasn't even drafted. So, he gets a chance to play on a desperate team, with a chance to start, and does what? Nothing! I remember watching Montgomery either getting beat or being flagged for false starts or holding.

In fact, didn't Montgomery & Reinhart have to "battle" in practice for the starting job late last season? Two zeros still add up to zero. You're arguing just to argue.....move along, nothing to see here.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Remember Roy Green used to torch the Skins?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I just hope our plan is to continue to address the Oline in the draft, particularly with our high picks. A guy like W.Montgomery is alright to keep around as a bottom-of-the-roster backup. If he gets thrust into the starting lineup again, it's gonna be hard to feel good things.

Posted by: p1funk | March 13, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

About three hours late. Great job.
Posted by: fudgedansnyder

Glass half empty kind of guy, huh?

Posted by: BigE44 | March 13, 2010 2:54 PM |

On the contrary. I think we have a glass half full of kool-aid, and I think Mr. Reid is sippin it.

Posted by: FudgeDanSnyder | March 13, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams had forever to throw

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Most underreported Cerrato blunder was cutting Jeremy Bridges. We would not currently need a RT.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Remember Curtis Jordan?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I think LJ averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year in cinncinatti. Not to bad... but so much for getting younger

Posted by: nate_snyder

His avg was 4.4 in Cincy. Over half of his yards for Cincy came in 1 game vs Cleveland.

On the year, he was LAST in yds/carry among RBs with 100 or more carries and LAST with ZERO TDs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"ksquared"

Who would you like to sign for depth?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I get it Richard! I know he's a depth player. He was a depth player when they signed him last year. And he played like a depth player when he got on the field.

I favor building through the draft. But for now, signing's like these are an unfortunate necessity.

I trust the Shanny and Allen. We'll be alright......eventually.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

You missed the point k squared. I guess I'll waste my time and explain it to you. Most olinemen aren't flashy, famous, or often talked about. If you hear them mentioned they usually commited a hold or got torched for a sack. So if he "distinguished" himself that would be a bad thing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The Dallas Cowboys have responded with their new Honey-Dipper Defense.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 13, 2010 2:56 PM

this will be a great addition to that pillsbury doughboy they refer to as a "head coach"

Posted by: stevemck3 | March 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

What about Rinehart?
Or did we trade him for a 6-pack and a pizza?

Posted by: jberry73 | March 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

We tried to, but he ate the pizza, drank the beer, then got arrested for public intox.

More to come... I'm sure PFT is all over said munchies attack.

Posted by: TDawg1 | March 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hated everytime that Brad Johnson beat the Skins

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The best Skins OL was the 1991 team that won the SB over Buffalo -- ironically, our lone HOF Hog rarely played on that team.

Jacoby had to go against lawrence taylor in his prime when he played left tackle, then moved to the right and had to man up reggie white, who was in his prime.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

For any collectors out there, here is autographed football being auctioned off to benefit a local school out here in the PDX.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Did'nt realize how big Jacoby was...6'7" 305....Damn...that's a huge man!Posted by: rickyroge"

I've always heard that Joe was 305 during his first training camp and never got much below 330 again.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan and Allen have the task of rebuilding this team from YEARS of neglect...two offensive lineman drafted in 10 Years!

I'm giving them two years of my benefit of the doubt.

I think this team has talent that Zorn could not maximize...

No way in hell all these players on offense are sorry.

I think the following players could be real good

Fred Davis, Devin Thomas, Mike Williams, Marko Mitchell

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Most olinemen aren't flashy, famous, or often talked about.

Posted by: scampbell1975

One of the things I love about being a Skins fan is that our OL guys aren't anonymous. Skins fans know the OL is our heart and soul -- and so we celebrate them as much as the guys that touch the ball.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I also expect Malcolm Kelly to improve. Last year was really his rookie year as he was IR'd the previous year so missed a lot of practice. He was getting better towards the end of the year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

...and this is why this man should be in the HOF!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 12:19 PM |

Pretty convincing argument. From now on I will only associate myself with Mount St. Mary's University.

Let's go Mountaineers.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how closely some of you watched Malcolm Kelly when he was in the game, but he rarely went down at the first point of contact. I have seen this kid in person and he is big dude.

I think it would be a mistake to part with any of our young receivers until we truly know what we have.

If Davis played well for that cornball Zorn, imagine what he could do under Shanahan!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

In the draft, I'm thinking that Allen and Shanahan will try to trade down, given their long-term, fiscally conservative approach.

I just hope they can find someone who wants to trade up.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

k-squared...

Don't forget Stephen Davis with Jansen and Samuels

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys are up here torching each other on a Saturday.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

From now on I will only associate myself with Mount St. Mary's University.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 3:46 PM |

Good plan. I think that puts you in company with FreddyFritz. Neither of you will ever embarrass the other by association. Shoot, if Georgia Tech doesn't win the ACC tourney (or Duke) then I'm claiming Mount St. Mary's.

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:45 PM

I hear ya k2...but Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, Starke, and Lachey aren't walking thru that door. But a frequently used back up just signed for depth.

You must have missed yesterday...there was a guy from Zona' with the handle DMhaginAZ offering his services. I'm pretty sure scamp (even though he went to GT) isn't interested in polishing your knob.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Most olinemen aren't flashy, famous, or often talked about.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 3:44 PM

It shows the knowledge of the fan base.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys are up here torching each other on a Saturday.

I'm channeling my inner Red DMV today Stump.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree Stumped...

I think we're laying low until the draft!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:25 PM
==================================
I'll try to come close to matching that..
How about passing on DeSean Jackson twice and Eddie Royal once in the 2nd Round of the 08 draft for Thomas and Kelly.

I think the beginning of the end for Vinny, may of been Dan watching DeSean lighting up the Skin in both Philly games.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge, Keep the hope bro. The Redskins will be good again soon!! BTW, DRAFT O-LINEMEN FIRST !! Also, F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

No sh!t Sherlock. That wasn't my point. If you bothered to read, Scampbell was trying to assert O linemen don't distinguish themselves.

Here's a question for you genius......how does calling someone a c sucker mean they want their knob polished?

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Needed to be Anthony Montgomery... (If he aint already signed!)

Posted by: cocodc1 | March 13, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Dave Butz was one of the most underrated defensive tackles

Went to High School with Bruce Allen. He said he went with them to pick up Butz. Took him to get some burgers and he was popping in his mouth like small biscuits.

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | March 13, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Somebody had a relapse on his anger management training. Maybe you can get a partial refund? [Keep it up -- there's only one scamp on RI. RedDMV has the spirit, but a different style.]

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson in 2009

Guilty pleas: 2
Fumbles: 2
Games suspended: 2
Touchdowns: 0

What's not to love?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The only time you hear an olinemens name or number during a game called DURING A GAME is when they commit a penalty or get burned. Thus the only way an olinemen becomes distinguished is by not being pointed out or distinguished.

Wrong. A big run or TD run, usually results in a replay. In this replay, the T.V. analysts usually identify how the play worked.

Where did that open lane come from? How did the RB get so much space? How come Freeney can't get to the QB? They review the O line play and point out who did what well.

I'm done trying to help you figure this out.

Posted by: k_square | March 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I recall Madden, after a run play, say "Did you see what Joe Jacoby did to Fred Dean (HOF DE) on that play?"

On the replay, you see Jacoby push Dean back about 6 yards before flattening him.

Madden was one of the few guys that appreciated OL the way Skins fans do.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff GM, very nice subtley. I'm sure k missed the whole thing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 13, 2010 3:59 PM
========================================
imo, so far, the player moves appear to be essential personnel, stop gap acquisitions.... Not long term thinking..
Indicating 2010 is a poison pill Contract and Cap Clearing year..
Maybe I am stating the obvious.. but, its probably necessary given the benign neglect of the last 4 years.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson in 2009

Guilty pleas: 2
Fumbles: 2
Games suspended: 2
Touchdowns: 0

What's not to love?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________

I would be shocked if 'Skins don't draft a RB with 5th rounder... I hope 'Skins check out Lamarcus Coker at William & Mary pro day this week... You can't teach speed, dude runs a 4.26 40 yard dash & is 5'11 205, that is a big man with that speed... I just look how Chris Johnson has torn up the league & this could be that guy. Right now, he is 6th rounder to FA, but I don't believe that for a minute. I just hope he is available in the 5th. If you listen to his interview at top of page below, he plays special teams, states loves to play gunner on punt returns & also he returns kicks.

Posted by: tony325 | March 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson in 2009

Guilty pleas: 2
Fumbles: 2
Games suspended: 2
Touchdowns: 0

What's not to love?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, not much place to go but up for him, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | March 13, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What the internet lacks is some sort of machine to scoop up these two boneheads and drop them in a steel cage for a death match, loser leaves town.

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 4:51 PM |

That would be fun, but I'd have to insist that it were you and me first, you know, because of the love.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

ignore the k, scamp.. and visualize the beaches of San Clemente.. with little side trips to Black's Beach.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 13, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't sniff at Will Montgomery yet. Look at Indianapolis, going to the Super Bowl with an o-line full of undrafted and lower-round picks. Of course Polian was unhappy with their performance in the big game, but up until that they'd done more than all right...one of them, Kyle DeVan, was of course originally a Redskin.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 13, 2010 4:56 PM

No thanks on Blacks Beach. Those nude beaches ain't all they're cracked up to be.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

who won the gold in Olympic forking?

Posted by: coparker5 | March 13, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

6 a day, you'd have to be an some kind of athlete to keep up that pace for 10 days.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:20 PM |

You have to factor in that some events were pushed back because of weather probs. We all know what happens when peeps have time on their hands to kill.

Posted by: SonOfStan | March 13, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Alice in Wonderland yet? Is it worth the hype?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Alice in Wonderland yet? Is it worth the hype?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:28 PM

dcsween was up here praising it the other day. I'd be inclined to trust his judgment. On the other hand, he'll say anything to make a joke.

Posted by: League-Source | March 13, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Alice in Wonderland yet? Is it worth the hype?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:28 PM |

Interesting you should ask. The story is supposedly a child's tale but most children are turned off by it. It has become a classic and make into a motion picture numerous times because it is catnip to brainy types. It supposedly is stuffed with riddles, conundrums, puzzles, irony, satire, philosophical debates, etc. Knock yourself out dude.

Posted by: SonOfStan | March 13, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Alice in Wonderland yet? Is it worth the hype?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:28 PM

Yes. See it in 3-D. Accept the fact that you know the story. Mostly, its the characters that make it worthwhile. Would be best to "catch your breath" before you see it, you know, to enhance the viewing.

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson in 2009

Guilty pleas: 2
Fumbles: 2
Games suspended: 2
Touchdowns: 0

What's not to love?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, not much place to go but up for him, eh?

Posted by: p1funk |

Timmy Smith might disagree

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 13, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Also, there are about 20 minutes of previews beforehand ... there are A LOT of digital 3-D movies coming out soon.

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Alice in Wonderland yet? Is it worth the hype?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 5:28 PM

Looks like Johnny Depp mistook his Mom's Summers Eve again. Anyone still think this guy can act without a costume?

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 13, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

And most of them are about throwing Molotov cocktails or Meryl Streep at your forehead. My favorite one is the upcoming 'Avaplot?

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 13, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery's a good signing because he's a solid backup. A lot of folks are complaining, but look at it this way: We have a lot of good backups and marginal players who got a lot of valuable playing time. We just need more starters.

These guys proved last year that they are good backups. It just doesn't look that way because we usually had three backups in at once. Ideally, we only have one of these guys starting a game or two here and there.

Posted by: lordtwang | March 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 3:25 PM
==================================
I'll try to come close to matching that..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I am no appologist of Cerrato, but I don't think you can lay that one on him, GM. When JZ was hired to bring in the WCO, I recall that his first request was for tall WR's. So I think the selection of Thomas and Kelly belongs to JZ.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

it's called depth, people, everybody chill. low key, correct move, more exciting news on the way just be patient

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | March 13, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If Georgia Tech hears its name called on Selection Sunday, the Yellowjackets should send a thank you card to the referees who worked their 69-64 ACC quarterfinal victory over Maryland on Friday night.

With 1:20 to go, the shot clock ticking down and the Yellowjackets clinging to a three-point lead, freshman Derrick Favors rebounded a wild off-balance layup attempt by Maurice Miller and threw down a huge follow slam. Replays showed that Miller's shot failed to draw iron and that the ball was still in Favors' hands when the shot clock expired (see photo), yet Georgia Tech received credit for the bucket and extended its lead to five.

For a Georgia Tech team that endured a heartbreaking loss at Maryland a few weeks ago on a Cliff Tucker 3-pointer at the buzzer, Friday's victory no doubt assuaged some of that pain. The Yellowjackets had slipped to the NCAA tournament bubble as a result of seven losses in eight ACC road games, but back-to-back victories over North Carolina and Maryland the past two nights should be enough to secure their at-large bid.

Maryland has a right to complain about the blown call, but the Terps had plenty of opportunities to win this game. Six times in the final 4:30, they had the ball within one possession of the lead yet failed to score.

The last chance came when ACC player of the year Greivis Vasquez pulled up behind the arc with Maryland trailing 67-64 and about six seconds remaining. Iman Shumpert stripped the ball out of Vasquez's hands, took off down court and drew a foul, sealing the Georgia Tech win

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Great.

Hurray for depth! But having 9 second stringer wanna-be's and a couple of true NFL caliber starters wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Hopefully THERE IS more to come.

Posted by: edvar | March 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Edvar- the draft is in April. Can't rebuild an OL with 3-4 30+ year old average players.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Hence the last sentence...

Posted by: edvar | March 13, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I suppose this has already been kicked around up here, but if Okung and Bradford are off the board before we pick, I think we would be in a very good position to trade back with a team that wants to move up and snag on of the two premier DT's in the draft.

More early round picks!

Posted by: edvar | March 13, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Edvar- just thought I'd talk you down off the ledge, apparently you were just admiring the view.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 13, 2010 6:48 PM |

Thanks for the concern Deez. The ledge definitely has the best view, but I'm just lookin'.

Posted by: edvar | March 13, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Someone should paint a photo of:
Vinny Cerrato, Paul Fanaika, Kory Lichtensteiger, Clint Oldenburg, and Will Robinson sitting around a table playing poker.

Title would be: Guys who will never be in the NFL again.

Posted by: isnadd | March 13, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

What ever happened to Pete Clemenza?

Posted by: rickyroge | March 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Madden and his love for O-Line play, it makes perfect sense since he himself was one in his playing days and coached them at San Diego State (while serving with Gibbs under Coryell) I think he also did so with the Raiders before being promoted to HC in 1969.

I think the above is why he was one of the few NFL commentators who truly liked the Skins, Hogs and Gibbs. Most of them are too busy giving the Cowgirls, Eagles and Jints verbal handjobs.

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | March 13, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

yo mofos, mellow out its saturday....jeesh!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 13, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

this could guy might be a steal, but something tells me he might secretly root for ties...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 13, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I like linemen ... good that they have lots of healthy guys, focusing on depth first is fine. Better than before, when the focused on offensive line depth, um, never.

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Delhomme is a Cleveland Brown ... I got nothin' on that.

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

"Delhomme is a Cleveland Brown ... I got nothin' on that.

Posted by: dcsween | March 13, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

i do....look for brady quinn to skins rumors to heat up...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 13, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, there was that dude, MLK...Sports page would be kinda drab if he hadn't come through..

Posted by: frak | March 13, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from Alice. Good flick, not quite the same story line as the movie I remember as a kid, which I absolutely loved, but was a good 3-d flick. I'd recommend it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 13, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins have announced the re-signing of offensive lineman Will Montgomery. Montgomery, a four-year veteran, appeared in all 16 games last season and started three at guard."

It looks like we made the wrong Monty full.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 13, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, did you see Avatar in 3D? How did they compare? I hear that James Cameron won the race to get to commercial 3D, but Alice was superior...as such.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 13, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis + Johnson = PortaJohn backfield
Hopefully both will keep their sewage traps shut and just play.

Posted by: minorthread

I've got the t-shirt press ready on this one.

"Our backs smell the hole."

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz
==================================
Also, instead of "down hill running" it will be "sh!t running down hill"

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 13, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

and therefore...such as...maps...poles

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 13, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Tough game, but WVA was playing at home (are any of their players from West Virginia? The starting five are all NY and New Jersey ), Georgetown played well, Wright is great but needs a little more experience, before we kiss him off to the pros...Cincy's Stephenson is ready to rock and will be a bomb NBA player...Georgetown should go far into the tournament, and will beat West Virginia on a neutral or home court..

Posted by: frak | March 13, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Someone should paint a photo of:

Title would be: Guys who will never be in the NFL again.

Posted by: isnadd | March 13, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Agree about Vinny but what makes you so sure of the others. All are 1st or 2nd year players. Three of the four were drafted (4th, 5th and 7th). Are you saying they shouldn't even give them a chance to see if they can develop?

Posted by: lifelongfan | March 13, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 13, 2010 11:34 PM |

I did see Avatar. I liked both of them. The plot of Avatar was the same ol same ol save the world from the evil capitalists crap. I loved Alice in Wonderland as a kid and a teenage stoner so I was kind of partial to it. The 3D in both of them was incredible. I remember seeing the first attempts at 3D in Michael Jackson's Thriller and Jaws. These are far superior on so many levels it's ridiculous. I would see them both. Avatar was kinda long though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 14, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I saw the porta-john reference earlier today. I would say Larry Johnson...$3 million, Clinton Portis $7 million, porta-john....priceless.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 14, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Hard to believe the show stopped at 10:09 PM. Did the internet die back home early tonight?

Posted by: msrent | March 14, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I must be in the "Twilight Zone"

Posted by: msrent | March 14, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Best 3-D movie of oldies "HOUSE OF WAS" with Vincent Price. Blood looked like it actually came out of the screen.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | March 14, 2010 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Best 3-D movie of oldies "HOUSE OF WAX"

sri can't seem to spell tonite.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | March 14, 2010 3:13 AM | Report abuse

It came out in the late 50's. Had to have those green/blue paper glasses.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | March 14, 2010 3:15 AM | Report abuse

I remember the glasses. Can't remember the movie(s?) I saw wearing them. Must not have been to impressed. Though I did do alot of drugs back then.

Posted by: msrent | March 14, 2010 3:31 AM | Report abuse

is there finally sanity in DC? can u sense the serious professional tone of this free agency? maybe this is not a circus anymore. more than a decade later has danS decided to be an owner like Robert Kraft, instead of a fantasy football meddler like, Jerry Jones or Al Davis. if WE can keepdanshandsoff maybe we can be proud of the team again. as opposed to being embarrassed and the laughing stock of the league as we watched danSerato eviscerate Mr Zorn.

Posted by: keepdanshandsoff | March 14, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Will Montgomery in the fold..............the last piece in place...............championship!!!!!!

hehehehe

Posted by: crazyhorse19682003 | March 14, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

"We have 11 O linemen on the roster and still need a starting Left Tackle, Right Tackle and Right Guard..."

So if you plug in the names of the guys we he under contract now, the quesstimator spits out a starting offensive line that reads like this:

Heyer--lt

Dockery--lg

Rabach--c

Williams--rg

Hicks--rt

Scary, ain't it?

And there aren't a lot of great FA choices left to add to this group.

And the front office has been steadfast in not handing out good money to not so great vet linemen past their prime, meaning we can fuggidabout picking over the bones of what few FA's left anyways.

So, maybe the draft is what we have have to wait for before panicking about the line.

The quesstimator is beginning to think the team is lining itself up to make selections at #4 and #37.

And this final thought isn't so scary.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 14, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | March 14, 2010 3:12 AM

You were mixing up House of Wax with last year's team - WAS Terrible, WAS Awful, WAS Not a Playoff Team...etc.

Posted by: charley42 | March 14, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

And so he was kicked off a lousy KC team. As bad as they were last year, they still didn't want any part of him.

Did he learn his lesson? I don't know. Is he no longer a moron?
I don't know. But it's more baggage along with his age, his falling production level and the fact that two teams decided they could live without him last year.

Look at the acquisitions so far. On paper they look mediocre at best. Injured nose tackle, TE who doesn't catch. OLman who can't crack starting lineups and this guy.

Sure, it's early. But so far, not so good.

Posted by: TheCork | March 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

True. LJ was kicked off of the Chiefs last year, but I think that had to do more with the New GM Scott Paoli sending a message to the rest of the team. Nobody thinks LJ is what he was in 2005. But he is insurance and he is going to motivate CP to stay ahead of him. That adds to his value greatly. As far as the FA signings as a grade so far? I say be patient and see what transpires before the final roster is set before you get all antsy about it. I have faith in the new regime.
Besides, as many have said already..Its not going to all happen in one off-season.

Posted by: scottmando | March 14, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan (and 7.5 mil) by himself is enough to motivate Portis.

Lead dog guys like Portis aren't influenced by other players, no matter who they are.

The thing is, this upcoming season might be Portis' last as a redskin.

Hopefully, he'll go out with a bang.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 14, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought: Does anyone know about the
European league. Is there any help in that area? thanks

Posted by: masgap | March 14, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Portis + Johnson = PortaJohn backfield
Hopefully both will keep their sewage traps shut and just play.

Posted by: minorthread

I've got the t-shirt press ready on this one.

"Our backs smell the hole."

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 13, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

lol. this is fantastic, sign me up, I'm in for a shirt.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 14, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Heyer--lt

Dockery--lg

Rabach--c

Williams--rg

Hicks--rt

Scary, ain't it?

By MistaMoe

Taking a chapter from Karl Rove??....I ain't scarred.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 14, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

LT - 2nd ROund Pick
LG - Dockery
C - Rabachs
RG - WMontgomery/BMW
RT - Heyer

Would be a more accurate description

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 14, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised the Skins could'nt sign either Clifton or Pashos. Maybe it's time to give Vinny a call?

Posted by: richs91 | March 14, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse