Free Agents, Cooley and Fan Appreciation

Sorry it's been a little slower on the blog than you'd probably like, but I've been helping out with Soccer Insider while Steve Goff is on vacation and I also have a few other projects I'm working on for the paper.

Plus, it's the middle of July -- a relatively football-free time...at least for another few weeks.

Still, I thought it be worth blogging about a couple names I'll be keeping an eye on come training camp when injuries tend to make some cheaper veterans more valuable. Certainly I'll be making some calls about these guys as well, and I'll post anything I hear that's worthwhile.

Jeremy Jarmon, DE, Kentucky

Okay, we start with not a free agent but with a possible draft pick that, as reported by the The Lexington Herald-Leader (via ProFootballTalk), the Redskins have interest in. Or at least enough interest to send four people to his workout, including Vinny Cerrato, their executive vice president of football operations.

Jarmon had started since his freshman year, and had nine sacks in 2007 before a down junior year in 2008 (4 1/2 sacks). He then tested positive for a banned substance and was declared ineligible for his senior season, forcing him to enter the supplemental draft.

Though the Redskins have depth at defensive end, Jarmon could still be someone they are looking to bring in, especially with first-round pick Brian Orakpo being used at strong-side linebacker.

It might also make sense for the Redskins to take an extended look at Central Michigan OT Joe McMahon, whose academic struggles forced him to enter the supplemental draft.

Jon Runyan, OT

Speaking of offensive tackles, it will be interesting to see whether the Redskins look at Runyan on a one-year deal and opt for a stopgap answer to the right tackle position that currently is the only major question mark on the offensive line (Randy Thomas's health and overall depth are the other question marks that immediately come to mind).

Runyan was not re-signed by the Philadelphia Eagles and at 35 certainly is not the long-term answer the Redskins need at right tackle. But with Stephon Heyer and Mike Williams the two players battling it out for the position, and neither a sure thing, Runyan could be a one-year solution.

He's durable (190 consecutive starts), familiar with the NFC East and available. Certainly at least worth watching.

Patrick Surtain, CB

Another veteran not ready to step away from the game just yet, Surtain, 33, would be another stopgap solution for the Redskins if injuries hit the secondary.

With plenty of youth at cornerback and safety, the Redskins don't necessarily need Surtain right now. But they don't really have a clear answer for somebody to cover in the slot, something Surtain has done for the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs, and he also has the ability to play safety.

I spoke to one of Surtain's agents who said that while several teams have called specifically about Surtain, Washington is not one of them. I would expect that to be the case with young players still able to prove themselves. But if an injury happens and Surtain is available, he could be at the top of the Redskins' list.

Any other names you guys are thinking about? Marcus Washington, Alex Lewis and Derrick Brooks are all linebackers on the market with varying degrees of ability, though I don't know if any will draw the interest of the Redskins' front office.

...

Elsewhere today, Chris Cooley fills in for Peter King on the Monday Morning Quarterback beat. Among the 10 things he thinks he thinks:

I think putting peanut butter, mustard and ham on a sandwich is awesome. The three ingredients are magical when put together.

...

From Twitterworld, if it's a Monday before training camp, DeAngelo Hall must be having his usual Fan Appreciation Day. He usually takes fan questions (@Dhall23) for an hour or two late in the afternoon and has vowed to do so every Monday until camp starts.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 13, 2009; 10:17 AM ET
 | Tags: Alex Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Jeremy Jarmon, Joe McMahon, Jon Runyan, Marcus Washington, Patrick Surtain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth Pleads No Contest
Next: Tuesday Reading Material

Comments

Posted by: mudman220 | July 13, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

3rd

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 13, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Runyan is the dirtiest player I've just about ever seen take the field. I saw him jump head first into the back of Arrington one time while he was on the ground in an attempt to injure him. It would be interesting to see how the defensive players would take to having them on their side if any of them have experience with his dirty playing.

Marcus Washington needs to swallow his pride and re-sign for vet minimum. He barely played last year so he's been paid plenty.

Posted by: rpetersen | July 13, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I say they go with both Jarman and McMahon. I'm thinking Jarman is a fourth round pick and McMahon a sixth round pick. It is curious that the Redskins are looking at Jarman. Do you think they have gone sour on the vets they signed or the young players that are hanging around? Or maybe it is just that they are sure Orakpo will play linebacker and they are looking for a defensive end to take his place.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

BTW,
I don't think Runyan is an insurance policy - I think he's a liability to any team who takes him. At this point in his career, Runyan is just another Jansen.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I like Jarmon. He's a big guy.

Throw a 5th rounder at the guy and see if we can get him......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

What about Amani Toomer coming in as a sure thing to start outside if DT and MK don't work out?

Posted by: laxpro95 | July 13, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone signed Levi Jones yet?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The guy from kentucky can be groomed to replace Philip Daniels isn't he like 36? Renaldo Wynn isn't any younger and we have no proven depth at DE I know Orakpo can play but Jarmon looks a whole lot better against the run, a whole lot better than Rob Jackson or Alez Buzbee if it cost us a 4th rounder next year why not, at least he will have a year in the system instead of being just another rookie fighting for a roster spot. I dont think Jon Runyan will be a good idea he's already old and we have enough o-lineman over 33 stick with Heyer or Williams and if they dont pan out draft a tackle next year Runyan only hurts the progress of Heyer who's shown he's capable of at least a chance to play.
HTTR!! RIP #21

Posted by: cpt55back | July 13, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I really wish they would just keep Orakpo at DE. We haven't had a good pass rusher in forever.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think I would rather sign Levi Jones (if he's still available) then Runyan? They better hurry up and do something though, that O line depth is still very questionable at the Tackle position.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 13, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I'd take a 4th of 5th round flyer on Jarman, and who is this cat out of Central Michigan?? Anyone have a size/weight on this guy, scouting report??

Thanks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 13, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey rpetersen, I couldn't stand the way Runyan played either, and I totally agree with you and the way you feel... HOWEVER, he is the type of guy you'd want on your team as opposed to playing against him. He isn't scared to mix it up with any one and has that edginess that most of the guys on the OL lack.

If we do get him, the first fight in training camp will be between him and Haynesworth. I can see it now in one of those packages where they slide Hanyesworth to the outside or some one-on-one drill. That alone is worth sitting in the heat and and price gouging of training camp.

Posted by: clark202 | July 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And 4th - I'm glad HE believes it. Now can he make ME believe it!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 10:53 AM

Really, Dik, what difference does it make whether you believe it or not?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If one and only one thing improves this season. I pray to a higher power it is reciever play. If Devin Thomas steps up or Marko becomes the next Marques Colston, then I will never ask for anything ever again.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

There are a number of unsigned free agents including Jon Runyan (recovering from microsurgery on his knee) and Levi Jones. Most have some kind of injury or negative performance history. Left tackle depth is more of a problem then guard, center, or right tackle when it comes to replacing an injured player.

Lorenzo Alexander is fast enough and big enough to play defensive end especially if Brian Orakpo is the strong side linebacker.

At this point it is probably better to stay with the players the Skins have.

Posted by: fwroy | July 13, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If Thomas/Kelly, Either/Or, can get up to 750 yards or 40 catches, I would be happy. So long as Moss and El produce a fair amount as well.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

We don't need to sign any more old NFL vets for the next few seasons.

Youth Youth Youth...........

Bean -

Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 277 pounds
Class Year: Jr
Experience: 2V
Hometown: Collierville, TN
High School: Houston

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, the supplemental draft always intrigues me. Didn't the Ravens get a great Oline guy last year?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think Moss gets his 1000 yds and 5-8 TDS. I just would really like another 1000 yd reciever to go to. Especially if they are a big guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think the Central Michigan Offensive tackle is a developmental guy. He's young, pushing 300, 6'3" and could probably bulk up a bit. He has played center and guard, so he the team could slide him into another slot if the plan for right tackle does pan out. He is raw, but give Buges some time with him. Since Vinny didn't draft an o-lineman, snagging this guy could make amends.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Never been a huge fan of Runyon because of his “dirty” play, but he is all over the Eagles mid week TV shows (like S Springs and J Jansen always seemed to be) so he was a bit of a fan fave up here and looked like a good teammate. I would probably be a fan of his if he had been a Skin, because he is/was good. Lots of playoff/SB experience and brings a nasty streak that I don’t thing any of our starters have displayed…..I say give the guy a shot, but not a big contract unless it’s incentive laden.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

As I posted earlier, why not bring in Amani Toomer? A proven, starting, big receiver who can play outside WR in the event that Thomas and Kelly don't work out. Kelly's knees will never be fully healthy and Devin Thomas has yet to show that his big play ability translates to the WR position in the NFL. At least with Toomer, the team can move El back to the slot where he belongs and get some production to help move the chains opposite Santana.

Posted by: laxpro95 | July 13, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I say give the guy a shot, but not a big contract unless it’s incentive laden.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 11:51 AM |

Let's see what we've got already in the first few weeks of camp, then see if we need to bring in another load like Runyon. No one else is rushing to sign him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I actually think that with Haynesworth on the team our O-Line should be better.Look at last years D-line that the O-line practiced against. If everyday in practice you are trying to stop the best DT in football, theoretically the O-line should be much better. Because everyone else the O-line goes against should be easier. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

As I posted earlier, why not bring in Amani Toomer?

Posted by: laxpro95 | July 13, 2009 11:53 AM

Because we're trying to get younger, not older. Toomer will be there after camp if someone gets hurt.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

My guess is they do not go after a big name FA on the O side until they figure out if they want to stick with Vinny/Zorn/Campbell and the WCO. why grab a big name WR if you only end up getting a new system which he may not fit?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I say give the guy a shot, but not a big contract unless it’s incentive laden.
Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 11:51 AM |
Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 11:55 AM

Well, okay, but I already left a message with his agent…..I guess I’ll tell him no deal yet…….

Seriously though, I think they need to make a decision on Mike Williams within the first few days of camp to see if the guy really is a player, and then injury or not, cut him if he sucks and bring someone else in….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

jansen>runyan

Posted by: trolly_time | July 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 12:05 PM |

That makes sense to me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 11:50 AM

Two years ago they got Jared Gaither.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 13, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get it??? Aren't these dudes COMMUNIST? AND, aren't we still at odds against commies like N Korea and Cuba? WTF?? I will never understand...............

NFL reality show coming to China
Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2009 11:45 AM
It's ironic, to say the least, that the NFL's effort to globalize the game is heating up only days after UFC president Dana White declared that no one in other countries cares about the greatest game ever invented.

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league will have a football reality show on CCTV-5, the largest sports broadcaster in China.

"We are committed to growing our sport around the world," NFL spokesman Michael Signora told Kaplan, "including in China. We are exploring all avenues to accomplish this goal, including through various new projects that we aim to launch for the 2009 season."

The show reportedly will focus on some of the peripheries of the game, such as tailgating and fans dressing up and painting their faces. Chinese celebrities also are expected to participate in the show.

The fact that the Beijing Olympics have come and gone is making it easier for other endeavors to secure the focus of the nation's sports ministry.

If the new show goes well, a preseason game could be played in China in 2010 or 2011. In 2007, the Patriots and the Seahawks were scheduled to play an exhibition game there, but the plug was pulled due in part to the fact that the league also was finalizing plans for the first regular-season game in NFL history played in London.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Communist or not, there's a ton of money to be made over there. All the NFL sees is 1.5 billion Romo Jerseys. (shudder)

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 13, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

aren't these guys commies like N Korea and Cuba?

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 12:21 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

So can a brother get a Cuban Cigar?? That's all I am asking for......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

So can a brother get a Cuban Cigar?? That's all I am asking for......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 12:28 PM

Bout the same as pot -- you can get it, but not legally.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and China holds more US debt than any other country in the world, and we're hoping they buy a lot more of our debt to finance the "stimulus" package.Posted by: talent_evaluator"

What's that saying? Owe a man a thousand bucks, then he owns you. Owe him a million, and you own him.

Warren Buffett claims that our stimulus was too small, largely because of political resistance from conservatives. Personlly, I think Vinny and Dan must have been to blame, because face it, aren't they always?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 13, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The China thing is about the trade deficit ... the League offered the Central Committee an IOU on some OchoCinco jerseys, and when the Party Chairman suggested the opportunities for tailgating and unloading some merchandise, maybe a game, Goodall said "deal!" and the rest is history.

I think last summer's supplemental draft pick was a DT? LB? (maybe from Tennessee? Vanderbilt? Va Tech?) named Brooks ... Ahmad Brooks? I think he went to Denver. Not sure how that turned out.

My feeling is that the Skins need a miracle at linebacker (either outside spot), but none of those pickins seem ripe yet. RockyMac is solid on the weakside, but knees held together with bubblegum and duct tape don't sound like the recipe for a complete season.

Posted by: dcsween | July 13, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

What are the updated cap numbers? Is any of this talk of Runyan, etc., even possible? The latest numbers on Warpath are for April 27...

Posted by: SonofNero | July 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"NFL reality show coming to China"

Posted by 4th Floor

Read a little history instead of watching "So I survived a Japanese Game Show." Oh wait, actually that might be a good idea. See, more than 60 years ago, Americans didn't drive Mitsubishis they shot them down.

The grandchildren of men who fought in WW Twice drive BMWs and Mercedes without giving it a second thought.

And by the way, a true patriotic capitalist should think that exposing these rotten Commies to our superior way of life will hasten the day their politics change to ours.

Have you NO faith in the American system?

Exposure to the American way of life helped bring downt eh Soviet Union, y'know.

Come on dude, reality TV will corrupt the heart and soul of a people faster than you can imagine...the Reds should get in on the fun...

Posted by: TheCork | July 13, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

My concern about Jarmon is what was he using? HGH or steroids can mean a big decline in strngth, and performance. If it wa just a "oopsy" on a one time thing, there's less concern, but it should be an issue.

Posted by: TheCork | July 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Just read Cooley's fill in MMQB column & it was pretty entertaining.

The sensors in the ball idea would be amazingly helpful if it could ever work.

Posted by: will_ga | July 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If we draft this guy -- Jeremy Jarman, DE, Kentucky -- is there any way that we could play him at linebacker? I agree with Brownwood that all our DEs should be hybrid guys.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I say we hold on to our draft picks for next year and leave the factory seconds alone. I'm sure next year's draft will include plenty more thorough prospects without drug and academic issues.(yeah I know there may be a diamond in the rough, but this team is rolling the dice enough as it is already in my opinion)

I agree with a lot of the other posters that as far as Toomer, Runyan, and other older vets, lets let the performances and injury situation in the first few days of camp dictate the aquisition of those type of guys. Stand pat for now.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 1:26 PM

TE, I think you misunderstood what Brownwood was saying. He wants them to teach ALL rookies (not just DE’s) to play multiple positions…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 13, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Commies yes, but not like N. Korea or Cuba. They have a mixed system with much more economic freedom, investment, and competition. That's why they're the world's fastest growing economy and N. Korea and Cuba are about the fastest shrinking economies.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Yea, I'm pretty sure they're only "Communist" in party title, not in the actual definition of the term. A more appropriate label for their political methodology would be Authoritarian with a hint of capitalist economic policy.

Posted by: psps23 | July 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

There are no really commie countries right now, only tyrants and oligarchs who like to call themselves communist, if you read any Marx, you get it as commies are supposed to have no powerful central government after some point. Same is true for most "democracies" or "republics" though admittedly there are some countries that can still be classified as such.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I believe we should play DEs at DE and LBs at LB. I'm not a fan of this hybrid stuff. Look at the greats, did Reggie White or Bruce Smith play linebacker?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The culmination of Allen Iverson's Celebrity Crossover Weekend in Hampton,VA was a basketball game yesterday evening. On Iverson's team ,one of his teamates was Skin's WR, Marques Hagans. What do you all think his chances of making the team are? He could be a return prospect?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

And, exporting our reality television series' to China will guarantee that Chinese culture, which has lasted many Millenia ... will fall to pieces.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 13, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I am not a big fan of the hybrid either.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | July 13, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't know anything about him. How'd he look on the court?

Were any chairs thrown? (it was an Iverson event)

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 13, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree with ih8D, I too am not a hybrid/experimentation fan, why this team can't leave people alone and let them do what they do best and coach them up to do that. Looks like they are always trying to put a square in a round hole.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

3rd against hybrid....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Poll: Cowboys America's most hated team
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 13, 2009 1:55 PM
Old habits die hard. Apparently, so does old hatred.

In a poll taken by ESPN, the reality show loving Dallas Cowboys fended off a Spygate-fueled challenge from the New England Patriots to win the title of America's most hated team.

Only five teams were listed as possible answers, led by the Cowboys (36%), Patriots (34%), Steelers (12%), Giants (9%), and Raiders (9%).

And while the poll is clearly being used as an artificial time-waster during the NFL's sssslow period, the 870,000 votes cast across 25 topics reveal other interesting glimpses into what football fans think.

Michael Vick, for instance, has roughly three times the fan support of other exiled players Donte' Stallworth and Plaxico Burress.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about the Hybrid thing. I have no problem with finding D-studs and having them play multiple spots. IE LaVar in his best season. That can help confuse the other team. But I don't subscribe to the Hybrid thing as a philosophy, but if you can get that kind of player and use him, go for it.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Sporting News is predicting another season with no playoffs. They call the offensive line ancient with two starters under the age of 30?

Sure there's age, but decent young depth exists(Bridges and Rhinehart).

Ten more takeaways from Blatche's boys and there won't be more than one inexplicable loss. Last year the Skins had 2 (Rams at home, Bengals on road).

Vinny will and should be judged by last seasons 2nd rounders and this year's crop. If Davis, Thomas, Kelly, Orakpo, Barnes and Henson do their jobs then he's offically out of the doghouse. If not, dump him. I'm more willing to give another shot to Zorn and Campbell than Cerato.

Posted by: elfreako | July 13, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I also Hate Dallas

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

4th
where is the Link, lets get that ranking up to 4o%

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

PaulT,

It's nice to see we're on the same page re/ Ham & peanut butter!! woo hoo!

72, it looks like u & I are ofter speakin' the same lingo foobaw wise too. Literally! Square Pegs & Round Holes! Take the prolific, shifty slot receiver & make him a #2. Take the receiving TE and make him block. Take the inside one-cut RB and swing him to the outside. The list goes on & on...

And here's an idea, why don't we play VelosOrakpo (OSACKpo?) at SAFETY! He could really lay a whollop on RBs that way...

///maps///suchas

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm a H8R
You're a H8r
He's a H8R
She's a H8r

I guess they all are Cowgirl H8rs, too!!

woo hoo!

Hail

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Marques Hagans was a WR, KR, and QB for the University of VA, then spent 1 or 2 seasons with the Rams, and then last year with the Chiefs.

Personlly I don't think he has much of a chance, rooting for him since he's a homie, but if there's a chance, it would be as a returner.

I didn't go myself, heard he did good,no there were no thrown chairs, Iverson has grown up and acutally does a lot in this community, providing money for:

gun buy backs
numerous scholarships
local Boys & Girl's clubs
outdoor basketball courts
his Celebrity weekend hosting numerous events for kids and families

just to name a few.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Or Santana at RT!

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Iverson...

....gun buybacks...

..snicker..

c'mon - it's a little funny. innit?

Srsly, tho. LOVE AllenI. From the rebirth of HOyas B-ball on. So he's got a big mouth & alot of 'tude. Good for him.

I don't think he's the answer in MIA, tho.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Dallas, it appears Romo has dumped Jessica Simpson...the day before her birthday.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 13, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

or take a zone blocking rb slasher/edge runner at 205, 210lbs. and make him pound between the tackles (ala Riggins)

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

YES, H8R! Now you're getting it...
Just think of the speed mismatch!!

Were gwan tu dah STUperBOWEL!

That's gotta be how Vinnie thinks... mis-capitalized words and all...

wow.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

We need to take OL

Posted by: ElYeah | July 13, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It was hilarious 2 years ago at the Wash/Dallas game when a trio of obese middle aged men in my section were wearing blonde wigs and really tight pink #9 jerseys

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, I like the porky Jessie better, tho.

Although the 'thinks tuna'a chicken' Jessie was hott, too.

Just no porky Jessie w/ facial hair, tyvm.

[:-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 13, 2009 2:56 PM

Lisa, that's a tradition that has been passed down through the ages.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Who wants Romo's sloppy seconds? ... Really ... Okay, next up we have Mr. Rob Schneider!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lisa_R wrote:

That's a classic guy tactic. It saves having to buy a gift. The cooling off period should be about a month or so and then they are back together. Hey, maybe Brandon Jacobs will ask her out.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, if we do have another mediocre to bad year, I don't think Vinny is going to get dumped. I don't think the Danny is going to dump his butt buddy, somebody else(Zorn or players) will take the ax.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 13, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I just when I thought I couldn't love Lisa any more than I do already...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 13, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

not sure Tony has to worry about buying a gift, given the tax bracket he's in.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

BTW,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 10:50 AM |

Well put, Mr. Head. BTW, how is life in the mosh pit these days?

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Fun with Sports Math makes you want to Cry as a DC sports fan:
Washington Capitals 50-24-8 winning %: .659
Washington Redskins 8-8 winning %: .500
Washington Nationals 26-61 winning %: .299
Washington Wizards Record 19-63 winning %: .232
DCU 5-3-9 winning % .558

If you go to a sports event involving a DC team,
DC teams average a .449 winning %.
Odds of you seeing a win for the DC team 41%

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Why no discussion about McKinner Dixon? If you ask me, he's the bigger splash in the supplemental draft...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

rsh, gotta give us more than that?? height/weight, position, accolades...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 13, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If you ask me, he's the bigger splash in the supplemental draft...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:36 PM |

The big splash? What's his event? Butterfly? Breast stroke? Or is he a hybrid like Brownwood wants everyone to be: individual medley?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

McKinner Dixon: 6'3", 250 (somewhere else they have him listed as 275) lb junior defensive end with Texas Tech. Looks like he was supended for academics. He had eight sacks last year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator,
You're a riot. You seem to be a specialist on strokes - must be somehow linked to your hairy palm.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Odds of you seeing a win for the DC team 41%

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 3:35 PM |

Why did you leave out DC United? And also there is the Mystics too.

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

LH, agreed about that tradition, but I think there are seasonal variations. The reason Romo dropped her the day before her birthday is because it would take so long to wait till next New Year's Eve or Valentine's Day.

Sean Taylor was a hybrid player. Hybrid safety-Grim Reaper.

Posted by: dcsween | July 13, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

We're getting less Redskin's coverage so WP reporters can cover soccer?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | July 13, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If you ask me, he's the bigger splash in the supplemental draft...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 3:36 PM |

Actually I think Mike Williams makes the biggest splash.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

iH8dallas,
I hope Mike Williams is making smaller splashes every day...

I have this vision of a Redskins football advertisement where Mike Williams walks up to line, gets set in position, looks across at the opposing defensive lineman and says, in his best Scottish brogue, "Get in me belly!"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Or celebrates a TD with Clinton Portis by lifting his shirt and doing the truffle shuffle

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

You know, some of my (girl)friends used to tell me their boyfriends would dump them right before their birthdays or major (gift giving) holidays.

Personally, I think the HORRENDOUS dress Jessica wore to Tiger Woods tournament was the nail on the coffin. But then again, Romo looks ridiculous with his baseball cap on backways ALWAYS!

Then again, maybe the Cowboys "powers that be" told him to dump her because the season is right around the corner.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 13, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

4th, have you heard The Game's "I'm So Wavy"? "Ether" was a Hallmark greeting by comparison.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 13, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I just heard the buzz on the radio over the weekend. The Game is so unimportant right about now......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Washington's top ten prospect per scout.com

1. Laron Landry
2. Devin Thomas
3. Brian Orakpo
4 Chris Horton
5. Colt Brennan
6. Fred Davis
7. Malcolm Kelly
8. Chad Rinehart
9. Kevin Barnes
10.Justin Tryon

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Lisa_R,
I doubt Romo cared about the dress. Nah, it was the birthday thing. She was probably dropping hints about an engagement ring for the birthday and he panicked.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Romo was probably just trying to save himself from the sight of her destroying a b-day cake. She's rich, you know it is going to be a tiered wedding cake type deal.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | July 13, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Are you kiddking? NFL has always been and will continue to be a performance enhanced league. Its those dumb sportswriters who make a big deal out of it in baseball yet ignore it when it comes to football. If they treated every NFL record holder the way they treat accomplished baseball players there would be no NFL records. Even if Payton, Barry Sanders or Emmit did not juice those big guys who blocked for them all those years certainly did. No * by any of their names, no HOF denials. The sportswriters are big whiny phonys. They vote in steroids users to the HOF in the NFL but not in MLB.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 13, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

A good read about Zorn, Campbell....etc.

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You are right, is Shawne Merriman going to have an asterick by his sack totals? I highly doubt it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Washington's top ten prospect per scout.com

1. Laron Landry
2. Devin Thomas
3. Brian Orakpo
4 Chris Horton
5. Colt Brennan
6. Fred Davis
7. Malcolm Kelly
8. Chad Rinehart
9. Kevin Barnes
10.Justin Tryon

Posted by: TWISI | July 13, 2009 4:28 PM |

That's some list. Of the 8 that could have performed last year, the only one that exceeded expect was Horton. Some badly failed.

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

The real reason why Romo dumped JS:
-----------------------------------------
Simpson is said to have planned a Barbie and Ken-themed birthday party for July 10, however no such event happened.

"Barbie party didn't happen, but I turned 29 and feel like I am on top of the world yelling I LOVE GETTING OLDER!" she wrote on Twitter.
--------------------------------------
Sounds like a lame idea for a guy footballer view, unless it was a Barbie & Ken strippers night out party.

Imagine the locker jokes on that idea, no wonder Tony have her the heave ho!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 13, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Mason just announced he is retiring....

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 13, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

No, but there was this guy in New York...Taylor was his name, I think...

Posted by: tripz | July 13, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,
Thanks for the link, but for the millionth time, I get it that Zorn is a nice guy. Unfortunately, that does not make him a great coach. He can be as quirky as Glanville and as candid as Steve Spurrier, but can he coach? I like the way he treats the players, but can he coach? He can coach quarterbacks, but can he be a head coach? I hate to sling mud at a nice guy, but I don't think Zorn is the answer. I dare him to prove me wrong.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

From the Houston Chronicle:

"Man with bullet in head gets prison"

Because, what else are you going to do with a guy with a bullet in his forehead?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 13, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 13, 2009 5:41 PM |

It's Texas. What have you got against capital punishment? Push the bullet in the rest of the way.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

From the Houston Chronicle:

"Man with bullet in head gets prison"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

a week 11 pickup for the Bengals?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 13, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Mason just announced he is retiring....

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 13, 2009 5:34 PM |

Goodyear or Bridgestone?

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Imagine the locker jokes on that idea, no wonder Tony have her the heave ho!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 13, 2009 5:19 PM |

It was the lbs. Who wants to hear pig grunters behind you after you and your babe walk by?

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

always backup QBs that can pay on the market. Not that we have a need, but every year, there's always a few guys who can play that are available ... cheap

Backup quarterback Brian Griese, who started five games last season, was released. The 34-year-old has thrown for 19,440 yards, 119 touchdowns and 99 interceptions in 11 seasons with Denver, Miami, Chicago and Tampa Bay.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 13, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Goodyear or Bridgestone?

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 6:01 PM

LMAO. One for the ages.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 13, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing physically wrong with Jessica Simpson. Sure, she's gained some weight, and maybe that's what has your man Romo wanting to seek greener pastures. But, there ain't NOTHING wrong with Ms. Simpson's body.

I tell you what, now that she has put on a little weight, dudes of my "likeness" has taken a little more... well, liking.

Gimme a little thickness over scrawniness any day. To me, Jessica looks better than ever.

I didn't see the dress she wore to Tiger's tournament, but I did see a photo with her with the ta-ta's bursting through her top. It was her, Romo, and Tiger in the picture.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 13, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Why did you leave out DC United? And also there is the Mystics too.
----
I didn't DCU 5-3-9 are in there. I would count womans basketball when it starts counting.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else find this confusing in this post:

"The right tackle position that currently is the only major question mark on the offensive line"

Thanks PT but try this in Jasno-speak:

"The aging offensive line, with repeated question marks at every position, will likely be the downfall of the offense this year".

The truth is somewhere in the middle, but seriously? The _only_ question mark? I guess all of those dudes who cover the NFL, not just 1 team like you do, must be idiots. Or perhaps there is one other alternative. Do some real reporting here, we don't need sugarcoating.

Posted by: zornskins2 | July 13, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Watching SB XII. What I didn't know about the 70s....

Were all punters back up QBs????

I see Danny White was the punter for the game. I also remember seeing Theesman punting for George Allen as well.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 13, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Theismann's punting career was like once for seven yards when Jeff Hayes pulled his hamstring under Joe Gibbs that was in the 80's though. Joe T did return punts for George.

Posted by: noone_from_tampa | July 13, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I take a day off from the blog and not only do we get a new thread, but I got T_E kicking thru the bushes to try and get me to come out. Miss me that much, dude?

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | July 13, 2009 7:15 PM

Too true Red...too true. She's a f*cking idiot, but you can't deny the hotness. I had Jessica Simpson in my Top 5 hottest chicks before she started dating Romo. Now that she's been tainted with Cowboy blood, I couldn't touch her.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 6:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Coriolis | July 13, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Sad that a woman gets called a pig because she's up to a size 4. I don't like those skinny, size 0, Hollywood types. Might as well be banging a 12 year old by.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 14, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow...either my F5 button ain't working or this blog is DEAD!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

RIP RI!

lol. Really dead.

I was running the Gibbs 1.0 vs. Zorn comparison by a Gints fan last night. He was aghast by the comparison.

That's good, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 14, 2009 8:26 AM

Amen! The only difference between Kate Moss and Randy Moss is race and leaping ability...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

That's good, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 8:31 AM

That depends...every conversation I've had with a Giants fan consists of grunting and the spitting of New York-style pizza across the room. Haven't heard a coherent argument from a Gints fan yet.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

And needle tracks, Brownie...

I just like women, tho. Skinny, big, ugly, beautiful... It's more about the 'tude for me. I make each objectification on a case by case basis, objectively

[;-p

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Nah, Brownie - he didn't speak. He was just agape going 'gah'... so it pretty much fits with your description.

But he was surprised I was making that comparison. So were a couple of skins fans in the room, but once I started talkin' line #'s (weight) I think they saw what I was sayin'. Not agreeing, necessarily (heck, I'm not sure I do either), but it is arguable.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

home run derby was almost unwatchable last night...ugh, that was bad....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 14, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Dik, that's the thing as Skins fans. EVERY coach gets compared to Gibbs until someone else can win a Super Bowl.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I am too young to remember, Did Joe get to George or Vince?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 14, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Theismann's punting career was like once for seven yards when Jeff Hayes pulled his hamstring under Joe Gibbs that was in the 80's though"

yes, but joe talked about it for two decades, so that has to count for something, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 14, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

BTW a Dallas Blog has been trying to claim that Cooley is whiping Jason Whitten in his SI piece. http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/redskins-te-cooley-has-some-fun-in-kings.html

IF YOUR ARE BORED,

Go troll :)

Posted by: alex35332 | July 14, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Thx Alex - folks line up the Yoko Romo jokes...

And Brownie, these particular comparisons are hauntingly familiar (much more so than Shotty or Norval) and really the only hole I could see in the theory, beyond it being ENTIRELY theoretical, was the OLine comparison. But I am buoyed by the #s comparison I ran. With this lineup

Jeremy Bridges
Derrick Dockery
Chris Samuels
Mike Williams
Casey Rabach

We're averaging like 328 on the OLine. Other rotations are fairly similar. I think league average in '06 was like 313. I would love to hear an '08 figure, tho.

So the big difference between the Gibbs 1.0 stuporbowel squad and ours now, to me, was the Hogs - guys who outweighed their opponents. Having heavier (and hopefully good) guys on there may address that difference.

Hey - it's enough for some offseason banter anyway.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Found an article says that Colts '08 O Line averaged 301. Saw one that put Arizona's average under 300 but their mean average was 315.

Still we're over those - and for this team, I think that's a good formula.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey - it's enough for some offseason banter anyway.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 9:50 AM

And that's about all.

Dik, I like you dude, but you're off on this one. If it was just a matter of getting fat guys on the O-line, we could just sign Toniu Fonoti and book our tickets for Miami. Unfortunately, some of 'em have to be able to play.

We don't have the worst line out there (I'd still take our guys over the scrap pile in Pittsburgh), but for the style of play the Redskins want to employ it's not that good. Those Gibbs teams had great coaching, a great power running offense (anchored by a talent and DEEP O-line) and a solid D. This squad only has the latter. And in today's NFL, I don't see the Skins making that same leap.

Hope I'm wrong, but it's a long shot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 14, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I thought the same way at first when I heard it, Brownie - but the more I look at it, the more it makes sense.

And if anyone can coarch 'em up - it's Buges. Short of mebbe Reid and a couple other guys, he's the best in my book.

I don't think these guys are the most talented, but the combination of size - which we were sorely lacking - and cohesion (3 MD guys & some former 'Skins & associates 'MWil')

..obviously it's got me goin'. hehe.

Beeps!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 14, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 13, 2009 11:56 AM

Absolutely logical.

Posted by: abxinc | July 14, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Runyan is even older than Jansen and is strictly a run blocker at this point in his career. I'd rather have Levi Jones if it looks like Heyer won't be able to handle things as a starter when training camp gets started. No one seems in a rush to sign either Runyan or Jones, so I'd wait until training camp before adding another OT to the mix. Mike Williams won't be the answer even if gets his weight down IMO.

He was a complete bust in Buffalo as a high 1st rounder and hasn't played in 3 years. The fact that he's even competing for a roster spot shows how little depth we have on the O-Line. The Skins are also being very quiet about Randy Thomas because they don't know if he'll pass his physical. Bridges was brought in just as much to potentially start at RG if Thomas isn't able to play.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually starting to talk myself into the 'Skins (never a good sign!)

Samuels-Dockery-Rabach-Bridges-Heyer

So, once again, it will come down to how many games we get out of the best LT in the known universe, no surprise there then. Depth is OK, we should give Thomas as long as he needs to get healthy.

I think we'll see a lot of both Cooley and Davis next year, too. Some inspired blocking and 8 touchdowns each from them, please!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | July 15, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse