From The Grim Reaper's Mouth To Our Ears

Here's a snippet from the story running in Friday's paper with some of what Sean had to say:

Yesterday, Taylor was defensive about some topics during his brief group session, and evasive about others, but answered every question, and conceded that he may be working harder now than ever. Gregg Williams, assistant head coach - defense, believes that a trip to the Pro Bowl as an alternate in February, and being surrounded by the best in the game, has the safety aspiring to new heights, and Taylor did not entirely rebuff that notion, either.

"It's almost like we play a kid's game for a king's ransom," Taylor said, "and if you don't take it seriously enough, one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have did this, or I could have did that.' I'll just say that I'm healthy right now, and I'm going into my fourth year, so why not do the best that I can? Whether it's eating right, whether it's training myself right, or whether it's studying harder. It's whatever I can do to better myself."

As to the Pro Bowl experience itself, and what specifically he took from it, Taylor said: "I like the fact that I got to meet other players from different teams, and just knowing it was something other than football - it was football, but when we had our time off we talked and we talked about totally different things from football."

It is undeniable that Taylor transformed his body this offseason as well, looking more svelte and less bulky in his chest and shoulders (he has cut down on fat intake and eating lots of fish, teammates said).Taylor casts as intimidating and imposing figure as ever on the field, but seems built as much for speed as for contact now. The Redskins list him at 212 pounds, and he was listed at 232 pounds in last year's media guide, but Taylor countered by sating: "I'm the same weight (as last year), 225."

He thinks too much is made of his relationship with Ryan Clark and the fact that he is seeking stability now with LaRon Landry after having a revolving door of safeties with him over the years: "I don't think it's a, 'Who-I-feel-comfortable-with type of situation,'" Taylor said, adding, "I don't think anybody in the NFL is tied to each other."

As for his new role as a free safety, playing centerfield in a system that has been stripped back to allow the playmakers to attack more and think less, he offered: "I'm a safety - I play free, strong, whatever you ask me to play."

So there you have it. It's not so much what Sean said, as it is that he merely spoke to us.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 16, 2007; 5:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Grim Reaper Speaks
Next: Disclaimer: No More Access

Comments

Let's go Reapin'

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

When Sean Taylor talks, Ryan Leaf blows

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Super Exciting And Neat

I can't wait to see him and LaRon in some real game action...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I like the fact that the Reaper is the same weight but looks leaner. It means he brought he body fat down and replace it with muscles. Damn I know T.O. really don't want to cross the middle this year. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | August 16, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm always impressed by how well-spoken he is. His look and reputation scream "thug".

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I know the Reaper must feel a lot better playing with Landry. I can't believe that the guy that started over Archuleta is probably not gonna make the final cut,how can we give some much money to a player who just did not fit our system.

Posted by: Ledge from Baltimore | August 16, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that's why Stinkston signed with us... to ensure that he doesn't get signed by a 2007 opponent.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

he is reaching the age where he is growing up... i made mistakes but he will continue to mature and possibly be one of the best defensive players in NFL history.

Posted by: bethesdaboy | August 16, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"Adjective
svelte (comparative more svelte, perlative most svelte)

Positive
svelte
Comparative
more svelte
Superlative
most svelte

Attractively thin; gracefully slender.
"

Posted by: 4th via wiki | August 16, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown - But that means he's gonna get 'JACKED UP' everyday in practice. Which one is better?

Posted by: 4th | August 16, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dolphins perform against the Chiefs tonight. I think the opening game of the regular season will say as much about the Skins as the Vikings game showed last year.

The analysis of the Dolphins over at ESPN doesn't have a lot of good news for Redcoat:

• New quarterback Trent Green was booed by Dolphins fans in the win over Jacksonville this past weekend. He missed a lot of receivers and just didn't look sharp. Green played the entire first half with poor results, and it seems that the patience of the fans is not very high.

• Cam Cameron is the first offensive-minded head coach that the Dolphins have hired, but just like with Green, the fans had no patience with him as his offense showed nothing versus the Jacksonville defense. The offense was 1-for-11 on third-down conversions; more is expected from Cameron's offense.

• The Dolphins are playing with a makeshift offensive line that has three rookies in the first unit. Poor pass protection in front of an immobile Green will not lead to good results. Plus, right now Green looks rusty and a little skittish.

• Rookie running back Lorenzo Booker is catching the ball well out of the backfield and is a tough matchup versus linebackers. He looks bad on punts and kickoffs, though, and probably won't figure into the return game.

• There are some quiet rumblings among players who think that Miami cut former quarterback Daunte Culpepper too early (especially after the way Green looked last week). Culpepper worked hard to rehab, and some players feel that he wasn't rewarded for it. Could this become an issue if Green continues to struggle?

• Even though linebacker Joey Porter's right knee is not yet healthy, the coaches are excited about his leadership and competitiveness. When Porter is healthy, the Dolphins love their potential to rush the passer with Porter and Jason Taylor coming off the edges. The defense has dominated the offense so far in camp with Dom Capers' blitz-happy scheme, but in all fairness the offensive line is a work in progress. Still, this is going to be a wide-open, aggressive, attacking defense in 2007.
• The only incumbent on the offensive line on opening day might be left tackle Vernon Carey, potentially leaving the Dolphins with four starters who have little or no experience. That does not bode well for Green and a running game that went nowhere against the Jaguars. Offensive line coach Hudson Houck has his work cut out for him.

• Rookie QB John Beck, the team's second-round draft pick, has looked sharp in practice and is a lot closer to being ready to play than people realize. He is gutsy and will throw the ball into tight spots with great velocity and accuracy.

• The secondary was considered a problem area heading into training camp but has played well, especially in coverage. The depth is shaky, but the starting four looks good.

Posted by: mugamack | August 16, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Redcoat didn't leave the blog. He was a lot of fun.

Posted by: jm220 | August 16, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The opener against MIA could be very similar to the opener against the Bears a couple years ago. Any ugly 9-7 type game. As long as we win I don't care.

Todd Pinkston's contract contained a clause that he is allowed to wear the "no contact" red jersey regularly reserved for QB's when he is running routes in practice and Reaper is on the field.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

HA, 4th!

Here's the vision I have:

Al Saunders, upon spotting Todd Stinkston, yells, "Hey Pinky! Why don't you run with the first team in practice today?"

Stinkston looks over at the first string defenders who are stretching on the field. He momentarily locks eyes with Sean Taylor, and quickly averts his gaze.

"No... that's okay, coach. I'll run with the practice squad today. You know... show some of the young guys some of my moves," says Stinkston as he slowly backs away.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't following today, jm. What did you guys do to Redcoat? hahahaha

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Redcoat will be back. Usually just takes a few days for us to work through these little spats of infighting up here.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown Skins Fan why I have to be the one? I am not a trouble maker all the time. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 16, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I got nothin but love, jm. You know that... hahaha

Did cL F him or something?

That came out wrong.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, you all can not blame me and my "positive attitude."

Posted by: Lisa | August 16, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I think we were concerned that jm220 did something, because have you ever smack a fish* in the back of the head with a hammer, not good results.

* And for those PC individuals, a marine mammal.

Posted by: gethanr13 | August 16, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

LMGO Bucktown!

SMACK- Hope you haven't left work yet. 29 is inching from your office straight out past White Oak. accident. ugly.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 16, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Did cL F him or something?

LMGO!! No it had more to do with the name calling and negative post. I do have to take some blame. Jack and his post brought out the semi dark side.

Posted by: jm220 | August 16, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty fair that Taylor can't even speak basic English, "Oh, I could have did this, or I could have did that," yet makes millions of dollars. Saahwwweeeet.

Posted by: Nice | August 16, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor is a man among children - he will go to the Pro Bowl again if he feels like it

Posted by: Supreme Wu | August 16, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

When Sean Taylor speaks, there's an earthquake over here.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

sween, if you're still out there, sorry about the Poochie thing. Awful Simpsons, character, I agree, and awful nickname for our man Pucillo.

But golly, old Gil sure can't stop sayin' it! It's irresistible.

When I used to pay close attention to the Caps (or Cappies), I found the hockey nicknames really amusing. Huntsie, Oatesy, Halpy, etc. So my default for athlete nicknames is taking a syllable of the last name and adding "-y."

I've had trouble using anything but Soupy for our kid QB. Trying to use Soup now, but it's tough. He'll grow into something better.

Anyway....

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

F you Nate and Sween.

The name's Poochie D.
And I rock the telly.
I'm half Joe Camel
and a third Fonzarelli.
I'm the kung-fu hippie.
From gangsta city.
I'm a rappin' surfer.
You the fool I pity.

Posted by: Poochie | August 16, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

"Nice" - and I use that term lightly because you obviously are NOT - I just saw Sean Taylor's interview and he is very well spoken and definitely has command of the english language.

Posted by: Lisa | August 16, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe someone already pointed this out but last year (at least at the start of the season) we kept 5 corners AND 5 safeties. We also had 6 linebackers and 9 defensive lineman thus producing 25 defensive players which is exactly half the total roster when you consider 3 special teams exclusive players in punter, kicker, and long snapper (53-3 = 50).

Do we know we are keeping fewer defensive players this year?

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 16, 2007 02:25 PM

I agree with you James, I think they'll have 10 DB's, but go 8 DL and 7 LB. I think that playing Washington more as an End, will allow them to use an extra spot on a Linebacker.

While DBMGO one night I did a roster prediction, I'll have to do a scrounge and look it up one night soon. Although I know I'm wrong already, I had Will Whitticker in my team! D'oh!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"Lisa" - Well saying "I could have did this" isn't showing the greatest command of the language but what can you do, I still love him. And I mean that in a gay man love sort of way, not platonic.

Posted by: Nice | August 16, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice, trust me...the guy has command of the english language.....I watched the interview on TV. In fact, he speaks much better than Portis...who sometimes is lacking in that area.

Posted by: Lisa | August 16, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Taylor on Sportsnite and I have to say that he seemed more mature, more focused, etc.

The Redskins need to make it an absolute priority to keep their own, specifically Campbell, Cooley, and Taylor.

They are all bright young stars that we drafted and the fans absolutely love.

I know we'd be upset to lose the likes of Portis and Moss and Washington, but it would be nothing like losing ANY of those three.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 16, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

JLC -

Was there any more info about Warren Commision, that I missed? Did he get released, or are there anymore bits of info on a possible trade?

Posted by: ewwsombra | August 16, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

So much for my early call on McDougle!!

Isn't it amazing how some guys can just be so injury prone!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Think us and the media made too much out of Ryan Clark's impact....

Taylor was especially curt when asked about former teammate Ryan Clark, who has been credited by teammates and coaches as being a key part of Taylor's development in 2004 and 2005. Clark is now with the Pittsburgh Steelers, whom the Redskins play on Saturday.

Asked what Clark did to help Taylor during their years together, Taylor said: "He did nothing. He played with me. He was a teammate."

------------------------

kost - Gunshot wound is a tough injury to avoid. Seems like McDougle just has a run of bad luck.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

4th - Great to have you back champ!

Buckstown Skins Fan - Great job with the RI Shirts mate! Looking awesome!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

4-12, thanks for the warning, alas, it was not in time. At least not as bad the other day, and hopefully nobody perished in this one.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

In Redcoat's absence, as the resident outsider, I'll be your acting Dolphin pinata tonight. Start a-swingin'. Wouldn't that be ironic if that Croyle dude started in the opener. Somewhere, L2 just got hungry.

These guys can speak well if they need to, like if they are talking to a judge. But on the football field proper grammar is a sign of weakness, kind of like using your turn signal in Miami. (Credit Dave Barry)

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

what a bunch of boners on here

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat if you are around your O didn't look very good.

Posted by: jm220 | August 16, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

cdubb - I know, and it seems like that is what started it all.

Was just looking for his college stats to see if he was injury prone back then too. Can you believe the guys who were on his team at Miami in 2001? It's like an all star lineup!

-Clinton Portis
-Bryant McKinnie

Oh and Mike Rumph

That's a fair team!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

All that talent

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I guess loseable type doesn't like less than and greater than signs.

All that talent (is less than) Larry Coker incompetence.

It reads like your average KNVB squad.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

SMACK - I don't think Coker was incompetent, just way to nice a guy to be leading a team of players like that. He only lost 1 game in the first 2 years and that was on a phantom PI call against Ohio St. in the champ game. After Dorsey left, they had horrendous QB play. No coach can overcome that.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

kost52, thanks for the compliment. I do enjoy making them.

Buck Ortega was the TE, and he was actually on the Skins roster during last summer (I believe). I thought he was going to make it... alas.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 16, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown Skins Fan - I thought he was a TE as well, but the site I looked at had him listed as a QB! Maybe he converted after college? Or maybe the site was just wrong.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe 'Buck Ortega' is a made-up name like, say, 'Ripper Hatch.'

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

cdubb,
I always got the sense that Coker was running on fumes. They ran out of gas under Erickson. It was almost Switzer-like, except what takes one year in the NFL takes seven in college. Dog years, you might say.

You're right, the QB thing has been a disgrace. And they recruited that Kyle Wright FH from California. Huh?

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not that big a College Football follower (although I loved the Young vs Leinart National Championship), but isn't it a sad, sad thing, when you can't find a QB to fill the shoes of Ken Dorsey???

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Coker won mostly with talent that was recruited by Butch Davis. After those 1st 2 years things got progressively worse at the U. He was a good coach but def not a recruiter in the mold of say an Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops.

I think Buck Ortega was a QB in high school and was a teammate of Sean Taylor. Played TE in college but was always behind better guys like Winslow and Greg Olsen.

If we lose to the Fins in the opener its gonna be a long year. Both these teams playing tonight are gonna be under .500

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna beat the Fins. Write it down somewhere.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, are gonna lose to the Fins. You can write that down, too.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Just think how freakin' great it will feel if we can dump the Fins and then go in and steal game two at Philly. What a way to start the season. We can do it, yes we can.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

As long as we make sure Leon Lett is in Bimini, there's no way the Fins beat the Boys.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

74,504

We need to hit 75K tomorrow...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

All we need is three dedicated bloggers to post 166 messages each...

If I draft any dolphins on my fantasy team please just shoot me.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the Monday nighter in Philly begging for us to get to 2-0 while trying not to get in a fight or beers tossed on me. My hope is that the Linc will be cleared out in the 4th with a couple hundred Skins fans as we lock up the W.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

When we play the Dolphins, we're going to look like we CAN win the Superbowl!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

cdubb - Wouldn't the Eagles fans hang around just to boo their team?

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

kost, how's your exbeeriment going? All thumbs up, eh?

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "exbeeriment"? I'm in!

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm exhausted just thinking about the preparation for our fantasy draft. All that homework etc. Well, what I mean is, all that printing out player rankings from websites on the printer at work. Ahem.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

MV Dame - Yeah so far, haven't really branched out too much yet, although I have a new beer to try tonight. Crackenback Pale Ale. I'm sure that I'll eventually find some which get a thumbs down. But like you said after four, they generally do taste alright!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

We'll make a huge dent in that march to 75k up here tonight.

C'mon, guys, who's with me?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Kost - no doubt they will boo if they lose. But if the game is locked up it will be back out to the lots to drink more and get belligerent.

Not sure what kinda variety you can get in you part of the world but couple recommendations on some I had recently. Magic Hat #9 and Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Both solid and strong brews.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I can do it, Nitpidixer. I'm about to down my fourth Ballantines of the night.

FOUR THUMBS UP!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

ITA

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Crackenback is a GREAT beer name. Right up there with Skullsplitter.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I got a bottle of this and will be cracking it open shortly:

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Hooray, it's an anonymous ITA! Happy days are here again. They all count towards 75k.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I also need an opinion on what I considered a particularly jerky move on the part of my pops-in-law.

I should preface these remarks by saying that pops and me get along pretty well and that he generally provides me at least 2 skins tix per season, provided I pay face and for my share of the parking pass.

Anywho, he calls me up and says that he has the tix for this weekend's game against the stillers, knowing full well that my best pal is a die-hard Pittsburgher, I know, I know; is there any other kind, right?

He then qualifies the statement by saying, "I'll let you know when I get them." I took this to mean that he was waiting for them to arrive.

So I call my buddy and tell him to clear his calendar for Saturday 'cause we're gonna get our game on.

Pops called me back today to tell me that he gave the tickets to his son's buddy and another guy who we don't even know.

Now I thought that maybe he did this because he knows my buddy is a stillers fan which really wouldn't be a bad reason. But I found out through the grape vine that the guys that got the tix are known cowboys fans.

This is the same guy that when I started dating his daughter told her to tell me that if was anything other than a skins fan that he wouldn't let me in the house.

I feel betrayed. Should I?

Like sands through the hour glass so are the days of my life.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Sean Taylor knows his nickname is The Reaper up here?

Picturing the media schlubs in their rare opportunity to interview him, "So Reaper, tell me about your relationship with Ryan Clark."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Nate - the Sam Smiths are solid. Just the $50 price tag on the case sucks. Never understood the 4 pack concept either.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

LB, you should definitely, definitely feel betrayed.

But... if there is any meager solace to be found in this story, it's only a preseason game.

If he pulled that okey-doke with a regular season game, fuhgeddaboudit.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Eagles game, when the schedule first came out I thought that having the game at Philly happen so early was a positive sign -- knowing that McNabb will probably still be less than 100% doesn't exactly make the win a given, but it does give us some hope.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

One of those Sam Smith bottles will usually set me up for the night. On a mellow evening, anyway.

I remember one night in SF as a young person, before a rock and roll show, thinking I was so cool for getting a bottle of Sam's Nut Brown Lager. And then strutting out of the store and into an alley to drink it with my friends, only to realize that it wasn't a twist-off, and nobody had an opener. Good times.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

cdubb,

Yeah, but seein' as how they're about 9% alkeehaul ought to bring the actual price down to about $25.

I'm still workin' on that bottle of homemade strawberry meade, kost.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

LB - For xmas buy your father in law a cowboys t-shirt. That'll teach him.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Nate Dogg on this one, LB. In the end, all you can do is let it go, be more cautious when dealing with this p-i-l in the future, and thank a higher power that it wasn't a regular season game...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

cdubb - My local drive-thru is making a big effort to support the local micro-breweries, and there's a surprisingly large range there, but I'll keep my eye out for them, thanks!

Nate - I'll do my best while I'm still at work, but once I'm gone I won't be much help. I have my folks coming over tonight, so I'll be getting drunk with them.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I have my folks coming over tonight, so I'll be getting drunk with them.

Love it!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

another drunken Kost blogfest? love it

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Oooh RBD202, freaky...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 16, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

true, true. Still makes me wince a bit though.

True Sam Smith related skins story. Went to the skins game on Halloween against the packers a few years back with aforementioned bro-in-law. We both got tore up tailgating. I couldn't really understand why I was so buzzed off 4 beers till I read the side of the Sam Smith IPA and knew I was only half way to recovery.

On top of that, I ate a really nasty hot dog in the game.

Upon arrival home, I would be expected to assist with the kids and trick-or treating. Needless to say it was a night the kids, wife and neighbors would never forget. It was punctuated by me hurling in the bushes of some born-again neighbors who refused to participate in the festivities.

Oh, I also should have laid off the Yeungling once in the game, but alas.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Week or so ago I went off the beaten path and got a six of Brooklyn Lager. Woke up the next morning and read that a tornado touched down in Brooklyn. No Bullsjk. (are we still saying that?)

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm working on letting it go. The p-i-l! Ha! that almost spells pill. I get jokes.

He's actually a pretty good guy and probably didn't mean to shaft me. That's what I'll keep telling myself.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

A couple of good beers I've had recently: Birra Morreti (Italian, good flavor, but a little on the light side, 4.6%) and Brugge (Belgian, fantastic flavour, 7.6% with an odd note on the lable - secondary fermantation in the bottle)

Posted by: bangkokben | August 16, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Another thing, LB -- I'm sure you could get tix in the parking lot for super cheap, prolly really good tix, and it might not even cost you a dimebag.

If I were your friend in that situation, I would really not want to miss my team.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

who looked worse? skins in their game or the fins tonight? I'm liking our opening day chances. I'm liking the fact that I'm not LB's neighbor's landscaper too.

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

gotta love drive thru liquor stores. In scenic, toothless Charles County one used to be able to get mixed drinks at the drive thrus.

They'll still sell you a cup of ice and the ingredients if'n ya ast 'em real nice.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

PiL was Johnny Rotten's rotten band after the Sex Pistols, right?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

At least on Halloween you could have been the role of town drunk. Can't beef with the in laws...hopefully he'll hook you up with a game that matters way more than Saturday night. I'm just hoping JC isn't taking a bunch of shots.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid's take on Andrews, kinda reminds me of Lavar's knee.

I was hoping he wouldn't play in week 2.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 16, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

RBD202, I always, always think someone is posting as R2D2 when I see your name.

Not that this has any signifigance whatsoever, just making conversation on the way to 75k.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

A tornado?? In Brooklyn? That is a certain sign of the apocolypse. And that there's a beer named after Brooklyn.

Oh, and Nate, the price of a dime bag in PG County's gone up recently.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, I can't wait for that Philly crowd to turn against their own, if we are beating them soundly and get out to a decent lead... wouldn't be a good night to be wearing Skins colors in that building, though...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I may be a geek, just not a Star Wars geek...Space Balls is another question

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bud - Did you do anything to get in his bad books?? You'd think he would've said something along the lines of "Since it's only a pre-season game, I was thinking about giving the tix to whatsisface"
Love your Halloween story! Haha

My Dad is a crack up when it comes to beer, he's the stereotypical Aussie beer drinker, doesn't try other beers, and sticks to the same 2 or 3 kinds, generally VB. One night when I was still living at home, he was having a few drinks before going with my Mum to see my brother's band play, at a local Irish Pub, and since I had been there before, I told him to have a pint of Boags, because it was really nice and goes down well. His answer
"Hmm I dunno, I've had a couple of VB's, I don't really like mixing my beers"

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

When I bought it, the scary bald lady said that it was not only named after Brooklyn, it was brewed in Brooklyn. It's recycling night so I'll do some dumpster diving for you guys. Wouldn't be the first time.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I actually had to think about who JC was for a minute. I thought at first you meant Jesus Christ. I think his O-Line is a little better than ours.

Yeah, he prolly will set me up later on. I got no real beefs with him anymore.

Yeah, Pucillo and Heyer on the left side, hmmm...

I still say Heyer will make the squad, b ut he skeered me a bit last game.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

kost, your dad sounds amazing. Hoisting a pint to toast you gents this fine evening.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought Heyer played pretty well last game, though he looked awkward as hell with his tiny shoulder pads and big womanly hips.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

His answer
"Hmm I dunno, I've had a couple of VB's, I don't really like mixing my beers"

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 10:39 PM

Wow, LMGO, my own da's beer of choice was an American rot gut by the name of Pabst Blue Ribbon, or PBR for short.

He was also woried about mixing beers, but mainly because he was a cheap Irish bastard.

By the by, kost, are you an Aussie of the emerald persuasion?

Posted by: Larry bud | August 16, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:43 PM

HAH! Too true.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Brooklyn Lager is okay, not a huge fan.

I've had some Moretti at Italian restaurants, under the 'when in Rome' rule. It's light but okay.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

liquor before beer never quicker
PBR before...anything ...never sicker

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I've also had Moretti. I couldn't get past the fact that Bierra sounds like a made-up Italian word, like when I was a kid and would pretend to speak Italian

"Gimme a oneah dosa Bierra Moretti, Luigi! Mangia!"

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

PBR for some reason is the national beer of Portland. Yes, I've consumed many a pint of the stuff, especially because it's usually very cheap. But it is godawful, and I just don't see why the hipsters are so into it.

*burp*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

No religious talk up here from me man. I'll leave that to SJK and some of the other sensitive types from earlier today.

Don't wanna be hopping ahead but they better be drafting all line next year, O and D. Gotta refill the trenches at some point.

Its usually the d line guys that want the small shoulder pads so they can't get held. Heyer is marching to the beat of his own drum.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"Spaceballs-the Flamethrower! The kids love that one."

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"Let's see how you handle it"

Posted by: P Diddy | August 16, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"Why didn't anyone tell me my SJK was so big???"

Posted by: P Diddy | August 16, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Comb the desert

We ain't found SJK

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Look at this lineup!

cdubb
cload and daggar
kost52
Larry Bud
MV Dame
P Diddy
RBD202
SMACK

Rocking and rolling up here, fellas. Let's keep it going. At least until it's not fun any more.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"I'm a mog, half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."

Posted by: P Diddy | August 16, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna stick you like stink on SJK.

Posted by: Larr Bud | August 16, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

What's your name?

Barf!

Full name?

Barfolemew!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Why is Mark Brunell still on this team? I'm usually not all negative in the blogosphere but his blind loyalty to Brunell is in my eyes his greatest failure in his second time around. Brunell should be cut and any other team would have done it already!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | August 16, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm with dubb re. the line. Even if the regular season of the previous year hasn't started yet.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bud, if you're asking me if I'm Irish, no I'm of Dutch background. Seem to be a few of us in here, I noticed a post from 'dutchgirl" earlier today.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm surrounded by SJKholes

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Cut Brunell! Off with his head! Oh, sorry wrong Mel Brooks movie.

Torquamata? You can't Torquamata anything!

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I prefer the Southern pronunciation of SJK, which of course would be SheeeeeeJK.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

HA awesome
more more...

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, kost, I won't hold your dutchness agin ye.

So do you wear wooden shoes?

Sorry, it was the only dutch stereotype I could think of.

Brunell should be let go, though. If I have to watch one more roll out where he ends up throwing the ball out of bounds, I'm going to hurl in his bushes.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

It will be a great day for all of us when we never have to mention #8's name anymore. With the exception of a handful of games in 05 he has ruined us as much as Jeff George.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I think I still have some dutch stereotype around here somewhere. But then the posts get really weird.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

It kind of makes sense for a tackle to wear smaller shoulder pads to get those wings spread out during pass blocking, with dudes coming around the end and so forth.

But come on, Heyer looked like he borrowed those shoulder pads from a Pop Warner team.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

One, two, three, four, five? That's amazing, I have the same combination on my luggage.

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the #8 should be banned from use by the skins after Brunell leaves. It has not been ocupied by a decent ball player since ??? Todd Husak?

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch."
-Nigel Powers

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

speaking of small shoulder pads, what happened to the days of XS jerseys a la Jim Burt?

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody see the hit Frosty made in the last game? Might have been addressed already, but it has gotten 0 play in the media.

I was unaware that he played LB in high school till that hit.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Sean Taylor's agent has been whispering "hold out" in his ear. Getting ready for next off-season. SJK that Pro Bowl enlightenment, the man is preppin' for mo money demands.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

what is that from? I can't pull it.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Todd Husak, hillarious. Funny thing about #'s. Look at 17. You got Doug Williams and hopefully our QB for the next 10 years. In between you got Danny Wuerffel.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

RANDY WHITE.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

LB -- Nigel Powers...

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Aha, never saw Goldmember.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Nigel Powers?

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 16, 2007 11:10 PM
________________________________

Especially now that he's off probation for that ATV incident.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Woeful... We hardly knew ye. Thank God.

Was Chip Lohmiller #8 or was that Haji-Shank?

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

it took me a few years after its release to watch goldmember. Still had some good quotes, but the franchise seemed... tired by then.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Is SJKhead Rosenhaus Taylor's agent now?

Lohmiller was #8. Shank was 6 I believe.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I have a new strategy, EPL boys. 36-2 lock it in. Championship.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Goldmember was ok. Characters not nearly as funny as Fat Bastard, Mini-me and so forth.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Smack
Is your EPL league points earned - just goals or anything else ?

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

honestly, where in the heck do you get the "hold out" shabingus from a perfunctory, pedestrian 10-minute interview with Strawberry Shortcake? Pretty girl comes by, he wants to chat her up...

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Dear Lord, I think we've lost kost... Kost???

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

mmmmm... Shortcake...

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

and I'm sure that many/most of you prefer Beyonce, but Liz Hurley still gets it done for me.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

cload,

Love how you just left out Heather Graham Cracker. I'll take her if you fellas won't. How can you pass on Roller Girl?

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the Frost hit, but I did see hit Sav Rocca copped! Was a good one!

Over here, our first game of the Round is a Friday night, but on a Thursday night, there is a show called the footy show, which is hosted by former players who are characters, and has 3 current players as guest hosts each week. They preview the upcoming rounds' games, but mostly do silly sketches and make SJKs of themselves. It's one of the most watched shows on tv over here.

Reason I brought it up is because I've always wondered if there was something similar over there, but hearing some of you guys wanting a comedic pre-game show tells me you don't.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

RBD, not sure if you're asking for real or just shooting at my feet and making me dance.

You get points for goals, appearance, a win, keeping a clean sheet, and subtracted for cards. I still don't totally get it.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Liz Hurley and Rollergirl over Beyonce. Are we gonna SJK now? Rock on Dirk Diggler.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember the bubbly blond from the middle one, but couldn't pull out her name.

And I'll still go with the sultry brunette with the accent.
And the fun bags, if you must know the truth.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | August 16, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Here it is, the Frost punt'n'tackle.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

kost,

We had a DJ named Don Geronimo doing the pre-game for the skins for a while. He hosts a relatively funny radio show here and tried to bring some humor to the pregame but ultimately failed. Also, other attempt to blend comedy and sports here have not worked, see Dennis Miller and MNF. Kornheiser is funny, but not a comedian.

I think American sports fans, especially football fans, take it too seriously to allow it to be lampooned beyond blooper reels.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Smack
Was axing for real - curious how fantasy "football" worked..

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Here it is, right here. Seriously.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Julianne Moore. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bud,

Good point. I think everyone wants funny but Lampooning or funny at their team's expense.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 16, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

And I'll still go with the sultry brunette with the accent.
And the fun bags, if you must know the truth.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:28 PM

That would be Heather Graham, aka Roller Girl.

"This shirt is imported Italian Nylon."
-Dirk Diggler

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

You can't tell me that Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson isn't somebody's idea of a joke.

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 16, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's a hit. But see, that is as unnecessary as those times Mark Brunell has tackled the guy who intercepted him. Unnecessary, I mean, because of all the missed tackles.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the form tackle causing the fumble by Frost. I won't badmouth him til the next shenk. Youtube is the best. I watched the scared Stinkston 10x and kept laughing. Can't believe still we signed that p*ssy.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, for those of you who were able to hear the Don Geronimo experiment, how many of you liked it?

I have to say, I'm a Don and Mike fan, but didn't like Don doing the pregame

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

anyone hear len p on espn radio defend pinkston? he called in and the announcer asked him about Stinkston - he was a total sjk and asked the guy why he called him Stinkston - then basically hung up on him.

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I was a Don and Mike fan back in the day when they were on WAVA 105.1

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I just want to go home and have a beer!!!!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

What QB has thrown the most picks for TDs? Bledsoe has gotta be up there.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

SMACK - I bet you it's Testeverde.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

kost i'm popping this last Heineken in your honor. Take the rest of the day off.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

kost, Testaverde's name popped into my head immediately as well.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Haha thanks SMACK, isn't the last two hours of work on a Friday, the most agonisingly slow time of the week!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

kost, you're killing us. Aside from you and bangkokben, we all have about eight hours of Friday work staring us in the face.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Don and Mike

tough decision...

Posted by: RBD202 | August 16, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

So who won tonight's game? (yesterday's game??)

The Refs?

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Vinnie's had a few clangers eh? (just saw that on wiki)

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

But at least you have a beer in your hand right now!

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Can't find that stat in my lazy look around.

But George Blanda had an amazing 277 career INTs, so he'd be the likely leading candidate.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

R2D2,

I voted for Mike. He's got sexier hair.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

MV Dame around? Any idear how close we are to 75K?

I gots to sleep its tomorrow on the east coast. Peace fellas.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 16, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Haha kost. Take pride in the fact you'll be drinking when everyone else is busy tomorrow here. Life is always fun, but more so with brew in hand. Good talking with you clowns. I'm out, peace.

Posted by: cdubb | August 16, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Nate I can't find it either. But I did see that 277. If you can screw up 277 times and still play until 49, you must be doing something right.

Posted by: SMACK | August 16, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Jesus guys...I mean Holy crap...It just hit me...We are going to have Taylor & Laundry playing together at safety....OMG FREAKIN GOD.....I can't wait to see T.O. and Shockey go across the middle....LOl

Posted by: Leevi | August 16, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Alright, that's AM out here. Guess I'll kick back. Let's try not to lose anyone else tomorrow.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Leevi, I had the same realization! It hit me like a bolt out of the blue, amid all our bickering today...

*************
Seems like the kid safeties are something we can almost universally agree on. Which is rare.

It's clobberin' time!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2007 05:26 PM

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

SMACK, the dude threw 42 picks in one season, back when they were playing 14 games I think. 42!!!

But people were probably too polite to boo back then.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

It's saying something that LaRon will be starting Week 1.

Question is, is it saying that Landry is that good? Or is it saying that Williams has simplified his scheme THAT much?

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I think we're around 74,550 now. Definitely have 75k in our sights. Noon (Eastern) Friday, we can do it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Can't help wondering if maybe word got out about LaVar, and then RockyMac... something about how to come in and assimilate to this defense, get started on the right foot, do things the right way (Grilliams' way) from the beginning so you don't cost yourself any playing time.

But yes, I am stunned that Landry could be an instant starter. Especially if Prioleau is healthy, who was allegedly supposed to start ahead of Arch last fall.

I hope it's a sign that he (LaL) is a freakishly talented dude, and not that his competition for the second safety spot have been so poor.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I freakin' love the blog-inspired tee shirt designs Bucktown has made.

The newest ones are a play on Rocky McIntosh as an alternative to Rocky Balboa, funning on Stallone/'roids in particular and on Philly mythology in general.

But the LaRon ones, and the Cooley ones, and frankly all the ones Buck has done, are amazing.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I'm loving them too Nate, I've gotta get myself some more. The Reaper one I have is the only Redskin thing I own that my g/f doesn't mind the look of!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

That says it all, kost. What can I say, Bucktown has mad skills with the visual design.

And I have a feeling we've only seen a few of the 700+ pages in his playbook.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Midnight eastern, the blog sort of turned into a pumpkin. Oh well.

Not as dramatic as the 5pm eastern dropoff, when the whistle blows.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, well it is a Thursday night, can't really blame them I guess.

I can almost smell my beers waiting for me.

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

This is brilliant:

"Crackenback Pale Ale
Award-winning Crackenback Pale Ale is a delightful interpretation of a classic style with the Australian palate kept in mind. Although lighter in body then traditional pale ales, this was done to help with the hotter days of summer."

With the Australian palate kept in mind? What on earth does that mean?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Nice Les Carpenter piece on Norv.

As I read this, Turkey Neck Norv is blaming a)Dan Snyder and b)the lack of a good kicker for his record in Washington.

Best as I recall, he had about seven seasons to get the job done, and he couldn't do it. And the worm has turned on coaches' tenures up here. He's the last guy who will get that long a leash in this league.

And his buddy AJ Smith hired him to take the next step in the playoffs! Yeah, okay Mr. Smith, I'll have what you're having.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm have no idea, I don't even know if I have one! Haha

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 1:30 AM | Report abuse

In Jasno's piece on the Reaper this morning Grilliams uses the word 'comfortability.'

Wow.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I mean, the non-word 'comfortability.'

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Almost as bad as writing "I'm have no idea"!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Comfortability is an attribute professional Hammock Sitters have.

We put up some good numbers tonight!

I'm out of here Nate! Have a good night with your Sam Smithys!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

"QB woes will short-circuit 11 teams
Problems at most important position will derail hopes quickly"

Oddly the Redskins are not mentioned in this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20281852/

Dolphins are, sorry Redcoat.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, eh, bangkokben? Maybe he forgot about the Skins when he was writing that article :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 2:44 AM | Report abuse

I gotta admit, I'm flabbergasted that in the next half day we might well see Michael Vick, one of the five biggest stars of the biggest sport in our country, at the prime of his career (however he may have disappointed thus far), accept a plea deal which takes him out of football for a long, long period of time.

Just flabbergasted.

Even after all the time and media attention to this awful story, I almost can't believe it might come to this.

Wow.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Excellent piece on Vick from Easterbrook/TMQ:

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 3:06 AM | Report abuse

The Vick thing is something else, really. Obviously, you can't pre-judge his guilt, but as everyone who has been around the law or knows anything about anything related to law in this country will tell you: a Federal indictment is rarely brought for spurious reasons. And, that Richmond Court seems to not SJK around...

Vick appears to be SJKed big-time.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 3:07 AM | Report abuse

I think people forget that this country is among the most forgiving in the world. Our culture is all about reformation and second chances. If Vick were to be truly contrite, if he were to serve any prison time that he is given, if he were to be as much an advocate against dogfighting as he is allegedly a purveyor of the same, and if he were to attempt a comeback, I think there are many teams and people that would, indeed, forgive him for his alleged indiscretions. Yes, there will always be those who hold grudges and anger, but there is a sizeable portion of people (and most importantly, NFL General Managers and owners) that would give him a second chance.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 3:14 AM | Report abuse

>>> "Diddy, are you staying sober? Half a month down, half a month to go? Kudos to you, sir."

Sadly, no. I fell off the wagon last night. Went out on a date, drank some wine, took her home, went back to the bar, and ended up with a really cute little Irish chick with an unpronounceable name. Just what the Breakup Doctor ordered...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 3:20 AM | Report abuse

"Lou Holder Gone From 5? - 8/16 - From DCRTV's Rumorama. Has Fox5 cut loose weekend sports guy Lou Holder? He's vanished from the WTTG website, we're told.....
"

Good riddens. Lou Holder Sucked for almost a decade.....

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | August 17, 2007 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe that'll open the door for Ken Broo!

Seriousl, Fox sports has sucked ever since Chick Hernandez made the jump to Comcast.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Can someone help please help me understand this?

Randy Moss

1,875 yards
13 TD's
0 Pro Bowls
known for bad attitude

EQUALS early 4th rounder AND early 3rd rounder

????????????? HELLO??????????????

And this kind of crap happens all the time...

We give JAX an early 3rd for Brunell while the Ravens give TEN a late 4th for McNair.

I know what's done is done, but I can't get over it. What could we have done with all of these picks we've completely GIVEN AWAY b/c teams know how to take advantage of our idiot FO??? It's maddening.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

LMGO! So wrong, but still.....

vickdogchewtoy.com

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Just in case anybody forgot about what a pr!ck (SJK) of an owner we have...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

My favorite part of that story, Ricky Bobby, is how the freakin' mayor of that tiny town was pushing the parking ban which benefited the theme park and hurt everyone else, including the small businesses of his town! The mayor!

What kind of Jedi mind tricks $nyder can pull... ugh.

F Snyder (SWWATNTJIG)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

(Sorry, whoever we're apologizing to now that Jack is gone)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Snyder,

We're all looking forward to your arrival down here at my place. For Skins fans I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Satan | August 17, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Man I got to give a shout out Kellie the spin instructor. All I can say is straight beast.

Great story on the Reaper JLC. Can't wait until the real games starts.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ricky Bobby for rehashing the tradabingus history. I needed that. I'm not sure why but I'm sure all the loyal 'skins fans needed that. Maybe to get our game faces on.

Be sure the next time there is a lull in the blog to remind us what we gave up to get Portis and BTW, it has been some time since we had a recap of that Ducket deal. Might need that soon.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

bangkokben LMGO! Let's play nice today.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

You know what I am still pissed about...how we let Joe Washington and Charlie Brown go....

And when Casserly chased out Gary Clark and Wilbur Marshal for being "difficult"

WHEN WILL WE LEARN!!!!!!!!!!! THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MISERY & LOATHING ARE ALL WE HAVE LEFT!!!!MAYBE I WILL SWITCH TO THE RAVENS!!!!!

Posted by: chris larry | August 17, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

LMGO CL! I thought we were going to play nice today.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Yet when it is pointed out that Palazzi's property is on the same side of the street as the Six Flags lots, Cohen shouts "Don't talk down to me!" and hangs up.

Funny, I said the same thing when the Redskins' season ticket office called me last year.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I think this is the best compliment I could have received (although I greatly appreciate all of the others too): "The Reaper one I have is the only Redskin thing I own that my g/f doesn't mind the look of!"

haha thanks guys! I've got more ideas... just need to get some time to design.

It's soooo hard to refrain from making a shirt that makes fun of Brandon Lloyd. I keep reminding myself it's fan wear. No Redskins haterisms... even... if... it's... so... easy... and... tempting.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 17, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby, have you ever had a positive thought or idea in your lifetime? If so, please share....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I am all for playing nice....would just like people to sing a different tune once in awhile....mix it up...be funny...

Posted by: CHRis larry | August 17, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

When Sean Taylor speaks, there's an earthquake over here.

Posted by: kost52 | August 16, 2007 06:38 PM

Classic.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

This date in NFL History
August 17, 1938
The Redskins' fight song became the first to be used by any team in the NFL when it premiered during the team's second season in Washington.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Geez, watch one chick flik w/ the LTR-GF & look at all I missed.

Wotz tha skinny this AM? I'm here taking up space at my temp job and dreaming of the a$$whopin' we're going to lay on the SJKing Fins! ... that I get to watch in high def! woo hoo!

Hail!

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle | August 17, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Diddy

do know if vick gets a second chance, can't see to many teams lining up when he gets out. but it only takes one

Posted by: Old School | August 17, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

If Vick does go away for a while, as long as Al Davis is still alive when he's eligibile again, he'll have a shot to come back.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"eligibile"... an apt malapropism, perhaps, given the bile up here lately. Sorry to add to it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

My favorite thing about checking the Norfolk paper's site for Vick news... the cheerful stories from my hometown, Portsmouth, like this one:

There's no place like home.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I could not get by on this little sleep. Five hours and 25 minutes between posts. I think you are addicted to RI. :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 03:06 AM

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 08:31 AM

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | August 17, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby, you have to stop physically hurting my feelings and dashing my hopes.

Regarding Vick's post-prison prospects: Scouts will be lined up outside the federal pen in Petersburg upon Mr. Mexico's release with stop watches to clock his 40 times in the parking lot.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, let's see, we've brought in two veteran WR's since camp began.
So, how much confidence do we really have in B Lloyd, A.R.E. or Thrash?
Though Coach Joe continues to glow over Thrash, when given opportunities, he has not stepped up to be a threat as a #2 receiver.

What say ye?

Posted by: Redskin Ray | August 17, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I went to college in Newport News. Stories like that make me miss it--just a little.

How many times do you think Mike Vick has seen "The Longest Yard". He may want to brush up on it before his sentence.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You guys are hysterical. Is there anything positive to say about the Brunell and Lloyd trades I posted above, especially after comparing them to other deals around the league??? Seriously, is there??????

I post positive things when I see them, but what exactly has been positive about this organization lately?

And yes, I have a ton of positive things to say. In fact, I have turned into the biggest Orioles optimist ever. I've said nothing but positive things about them since McPhail and Trembley took over, because I honestly see them moving in the right direction.

The Skins, well, not so much... and it's not that I don't want them to win, because I desperately do, but I tend to be realistic in my views on football, life, etc. Some of you really need to gain a full understanding between being realistic (and attempting to be funny while doing so) and being negative. There is a HUGE difference.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Ray - Gibbs loves veterans in general, not a big surprise that he brought in Bradford and Stinkston.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Baby steps, Ricky Bobby, baby steps. When it's as broken as this team, it's not going to change overnight.

But just in the time this blog has existed, I think there is a demonstrable difference in the way the front office has conducted itself. In my opinion, it is getting better, and we are heading in the right direction.

Yeah, I'm choosing the see the silver lining, just as you are with the O's, who have abused your loyalty as much as the Skins have.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Don't miss To Catch a Predator tonight when Joe Gibbs shows up at Mark Brunell's house for some sweet tea and cookies...

Posted by: Chris Hansen | August 17, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

RB,

The negativity would be understandable if you focused on this season. Rehashing stuff that happened 2-3 years ago is useless. We all know that those were terrible moves...so were parachute pants and Chevy Chase's talkshow.

It's time to move on.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Mark, I obviously have an addiction to this blog. I wish I could quit it!

(But probably not as much as some other folks wish I could quit it!)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

RB,

Seriously, there is nothing positive about those trades - save without M. Brunell we likely don't make the playoffs one year and have to hear even more griping from you.

"what exactly has been positive about this organization lately?"

They haven't made any bone headed trades in almost one calendar year - can't recall the date on the Duckett deal.

The biggest objection to your realism is the rehashing of old news/wounds.

Let's see if I can play along. Hmmm...let me see today I will complain about M. Westbrook because we still need WR help. WTF?!

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

(Trying to figure out what it is about Jack (and other negativers-come-lately) that provokes such a response up here, when what he's saying and doing is so similar to Ricky Bobby. I think the main difference is that RB is funny, even in the harshest of rants, and therefore more in keeping with the loose, freewheeling spirit of this silly blog. And therefore it's cathartic, because all of us share in the frustration of the team's recent failures, though we don't want that frustration to be expressed in a super-frowny way.)

(That's my theory, anyway.)

(-Captain Obvious)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

RB-

whatcha doin this wknd buuuuuuddie?

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 17, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Positives for Arby:

Washington, Taylor, Fletcher, Campbell developing, Brunnell not starting, No coaching controversy, no quaterback controversy.

Now, don't let the sky land on your head.

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

but what exactly has been positive about this organization lately?

1.Drafted L2
2. JC named the starter
3. Started contract talks with Cooley
4. Not rushing CP back for pre season games

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

Word up, my brother.

Pub,

I plan on going hogging if you can tell me where exactly the place is...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey folks, long-time lurker/first time poster here. I have a fantasy question and I wanted to run it by you guys. (Plus its means post-cout +1)

I'm torn on Portis and his value in the upcoming year. I'm not as concerned about him getting injured, simply because I think this is being played up to keep him inactive during training camp, which he hates. But my league places an emphasis on touches and the shared duty with Betts concerns me. I'm leaning more towards Betts as a 3rd back then Clinton as a 2nd. What are y'alls thoughts?

Posted by: Junior | August 17, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

wtg, jm!

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Junior,

If he's healthy, he'll get almost as many touches as the other Clinton from DC (ZZZIIINNNGGG!!!!)

I'm not so sure about the injury, though. For a young guy, he's got a lot of miles on him.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Another positive thing: acquired London Fletcher....

Posted by: Lisa | August 17, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Junior,

I would stay away from CP. For one, I think that he will, in fact, split time with Betts this year. And two, I think Betts and Sellers get more of the goaline plays this year, which means less TD opps for Spanky Janky.

If I were to draft one Skins player this year, I'd go with Cooley. But hopefully our o-line will hold up so Gibbs/Al feel comfortable sending him out on more passing plays instead of keeping him in to block.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If you want something to be negative about, here you go:

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

No offense intended to anyone, but what am I missing about fantasy sports?! It just seems to run contrary to what sports are supposed to be, to me, anyway - I mean, what was so great about the 'Skins was that the individual achievement always came second to the team success. At least that's what I saw.

Fantasy league just seems so... Dallas like...

That being said - it seems everyone is havin' a grand ol time w/ it. What's the lure?

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Junior!

CP still gets touchdowns but will clearly see less touches. Betts as good as he was last year, the goal line O was better with CP and #8 than Betts and JC...I think that was 99% CP. Remember the TD against the Vikes where he looked like he was going out of bounds around the 6 or 7 only to turn it up for the score.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Dik,

The lure is you can still be a winner while your team's in the crapper. Small consolation.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

A video from NBC on the 'skins season:

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Oh - that's why I play Madden on Pro setting. hahahahah.

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I quit fantasy fball for a few years because I found it was compromising my ability to focus on the Skins.

I didn't enjoy rooting for other teams' players, and I didn't enjoy putting individual stats over team success. I also could never, ever have a Cowboy on my roster, therefore I was short-changing my own chances by voluntarily shrinking my available talent pool.

Plus, and this will probably come as no surprise, I stunk at it.

I am going to give kost52's NFL fantasy league a try this season, because it's kind of a blog fellowship sort of thing, and it's for "national pride" bragging rights (AUS vs USA), which is funny, but there's a 97.4% chance I will stink in that as well.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lisa/etrod/bang/jm/others,

I agree that the Skins have done a complete 180 from last year. They didn't trade away any additional drafts picks and had a relatively quiet off-season in terms of free agent pick-ups. They also signed some solid, quality guys like Fletcher-Baker, and are grooming JC and Landry to be stars.

But this off-season feels eerily (sp?) similar to the off-season of '05. That year, just like this year, we had a very limited amount of money to spend on free agents and made the smart, not flashy moves. I thought they had turned the corner after that year, especially since we went 10-6 and made the round of 8, but then BAM, the offseason of '06 happens.

It's like their brains shut down and they forgot how successful they actually were when they showed some restraint and made the smart, not the flahsy, decisions.

I'm not saying I don't have hope, but it just feels all too familiar. I just have this sick feeling that this year we'll show some progress, go 9-7, but as soon as some cap room clears up we'll be once again shipping 2 picks and 30 mill at the next Brandon Lloyd or Adam Archuletta.

It's like a movie you've already seen dozens of times.

If they can get through next off-season without going bonkers again, I have no doubt that I will regain some trust and confidence in the front office... but how can you blame my skeptism now when we've all seen this act before?

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Dik, for me the joy is two-fold. First I only do leagues with people I know, which means that regardless of the players, the focus is mostly on whomping my buddies. That never gets old!

The second thing that I find appealing is that it gets me more involved in the rest of the league. I'll always bleed burgundy and gold, but I find that I understand the rest of the league a lot better because I'm paying more attention to other players.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it ties in a lot with what I was thinking. I appreciate it!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Just tacking this on to the Reaper thread... is he (Sean Taylor) not an intriguing dude? Seems to be a more complex figure than most of our guys.

Compare him to Santana, who keeps a low profile but always seems to be smiling when you do see him. Or Portis, who obviously revels in being a clown. Taylor is a bona fide enigma, and he is fascinating.

I guess the question is, would he have developed a different persona if not for the ATV/gun situation in Miami, and all the other press attention when he was a rookie? Did he retreat into a shell because of all that, or was he always kind of introverted?

Whatever the case, he's a hell of a player, and I hope on some level he understands the adoration he gets from Redskin Planet (we certainly lay it on thick up here, elevating him to superhero status, but he deserves it!).

Anyway...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I am a huge fantasy footballer, but it never hurts my Skins love. I think you need to be able to separate the two. My first priority on Sundays is the Skins -- period.

I was of the same mentality before I started playing. I thought it promoted individual player fanhood, thus detracting from the team aspect. But I found that that's not true. Since I started playing fantasy football (in 2000) I have come to be so much more knowledgeable about the NFL as a league than I ever was.

As long as you know where your loyalties stand in real life, your fantasy life can succeed.

I have one steadfast rule in fantasy -- I will never start a defense that is going against the Skins in real life. That's it. I can root for an individual player (on a team that I hate) to do well, but still root for the team to lose. You can't do that with a defense that's playing the Skins.

I won my league last year. It was a crowning achievement for me.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 17, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Junior, best of luck in your league (assuming you're not in kost52's league and therefore a potential opponent!) and kudos for seriously considering the Skins' offensive players, who probably deserve some healthy skepticism from a fantasy perspective.

Now picking the Skins' defense/special teams for your fantasy squad, that's a no-brainer :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

RB,

Your fear is absolutely legit. Two howevers. We still have this season to forward to before your fear can become reality and second the flashy picks might actually work next year.

Hear me out. How many here at this blog wouldn't siht roses if next off season we sign Schobel and Faneca? Could be groundhogday all over again.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

No this league isn't Kost's league, but if there are still spaces let me know. I've lurked here long enough that it'd be fun to interact with y'all more.

Plus, I'm going to post more, cause I'm on board with Lisa's optimism campaign! :)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Hear, hear, Junior. You might want to post on the next thread to catch kost's eye, though I think the league is already full.

Also, remember to sign your name when you comment, dude! You want credit in the final tally, don't you?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

RB

So much to look forward to....maybe you guys get tired of my outlook....As i have said i will critical with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight when the time is right...Its a New ERA...doesn't mean its going to work, but this is the formula to build a team...you guys have heard this many times from me....

Posted by: Old School | August 17, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Vick appears to be SJKed big-time.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 03:07 AM

_____________________

P Diddy,

"Spurious" is NOT the word you want here.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX:

-----------------------
In an article last year or so, Taylor's grandmother said Taylor would be in the house and she wouldn't even know it. She'd look--and he'd be in his room reading a book.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to ink Taylor to an extension not now, but right now, before this kid gets the idea to test the free agent market in two years. Instead of throwing away money to worhtless free agents (Artchuleta, Lloyd, Randall El, Duckett) they need to start taking care of thier own. LOCK UP TAYLOR AND COOLEY NOW!!!

Posted by: RedskinD | August 17, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

BB- you said;

"The Redskins' fight song became the first to be used by any team in the NFL when it premiered during the team's second season in Washington"

========================

Its funny but this was also a precursor for why the Cowboys' franchise came into being. George Preston Marshall didn't want a new team in the South (most teams at the time were western or northern teams) and was blocking Schramm's bid for a new franchise in Texas. So Schramm bought the rights to the fight song and basically blackmailed Marshall into voting to allow the Dallas expansion franchise into being.

Oh BTW- prediction for this season ... 8-8 or 7-9. I'm a die-hard Redskin fan my friends, but we've had exactly one good season in God knows how long. Our team is what it is .. .average. It will not turn around overnight even with one of the best coaches in League history at the helm. Fortunately I do see it gradually getting better as the Front Office learns some valuable lessons this offseason.

Posted by: Thaiphoon | August 17, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

264

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

All right now. I get it.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse