Funeral Monday in Miami

Some players and Coach Gibbs just spoke coming off the field. I'll post things as I can.

Coach Joe Gibbs said the funeral will take place on Monday.

The meeting this morning lasted about 2 hours in the auditorium, players said, with players reporting at 8. Coach Joe Gibbs and owner Daniel Snyder spoke, and the players had no idea Sean's family would be there. But Pedro Taylor and Sean's family arrived, including his girlfriend Jackie, his mom and an uncle. Jackie Garcia and Pedro Taylor both addressed the team, in what players said were highly emotional moments. Players said they took courage and inspiration from the words of Jackie and Pedro, both of whom urged them that the best way to honor Sean was to play as hard as they can in the passionate fashion he played.

Tailback Clinton Portis also spoke, and he too broke down a bit recalling his experiences with Sean. Team chaplain Brett Fuller also addressed the team. Safety Pierson Prioleau and others said they had the chance to hug Sean's family and voice their support at the end of the meeting. Sean's family has since flown back to Miami.

After the meeting players said they tried to regain composure, then the team went through a truncated remainder of the day, shuffling off to position meetings and getting ready for practice, which lasted from about 2-3:30.

Coach Gibbs also said that he took solace in the words of San Francisco Coach Mike Nolan, one of many NFL coaches to phone him. Nolan lost a player a few years back. Denver Coach Mike Shanahan, who lost a player to a shooting last season, also called.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 28, 2007; 4:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis and No. 21
Next: Football Update (Disclaimer)

Comments

I hope that everyone can pull themselves to play tomorrow. I think Sean would've wanted them to get out there and kick some butt.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 28, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope they play hard for SEAN! Thats what he would have wanted! WIN FOR SEAN SKINS!!!!

HTTR!

Posted by: redryan400 | November 28, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I found this quote from taylors last known interview.

During his last known full-length interview, conducted with WTEM-AM in September, he spoke of the joy he felt when he made his daughter laugh, how he wanted to give her life experiences different from his own, and how he did not fear death.

"You can't be scared of death," he told the radio station. "When that time comes, it comes. ... You never see a person who has lived their life to the fullest. They sometimes feel sorry for like a child, maybe, that didn't get a chance to do some of the things they thought that child might have had a chance to do in life. I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy."

Posted by: SAK2 | November 28, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW.. that's odd. I still am in shock about this.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 28, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Couple things:

Have been very impressed by Dan Snyder through this whole thing. I know he deserved the scorn he gets sometimes, but he's handled this about as well as could have been handled.

I'm surprised that Lavar hasn't given his opinion on this yet. We've heard from a lot of ex-Redskin players.

Just some thoughts.....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I haven't checked but someone said that Dallas changed their colors on their web page to burgendy and gold. After some of the as*holes making comments the past few days who are Dallas fans it's nice to know they all aren't like that.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 28, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jessie -
cowboyszone.com did that. I'm a regular at redskinswarpath.com, and we've had (almost) no jackassery from trolls. A couple of jerks, but almost unanimous condolences from dozens of fans of other teams. It's been really heartwarming.

Posted by: blee | November 28, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I've never really been one to wear burgundy n gold however I just bought ST's jersey and will wear it on any day the Skins play from here on out.

Posted by: P00P | November 28, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

maybe they did yesterday. someone verify. don't see burgundy and gold there today....

http://www.dallascowboys.com/ is their official team website

Posted by: gregskins | November 28, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse