Game Day (Well, At Least On Offense)

Hey guys, sorry to be away this week. I needed a few personal days to get some housing and moving stuff sorted out, and well, I was locked into the days. No chance to be flexible with settlements, even in the wake of a 47-3 drubbing.

I'm of two minds with Jim Zorn's decision to play the starters tonite. I'm not sure how much can be gained from a series or two in the preseason - particularly when the defense isn't subjecting its starters to this contest - but I'm also not opposed to the idea of making the guys suit up and earn a paycheck after a debacle like that Saturday night.

From what I hear, Jags Coach Jack Del Rio is going to play his starters for a series on offense and defense (it's a philosophy he generally believes in and is scheduled to apply tonite) so we may get a little glimpse at the real thing in this exhibition. But, I wonder if in general it's not making too much of the entire preseason to alter your previously-adhered to plans on playing time based off one exhibition game. If you go three-and-out, and then, by happenstance, get stuffed again on the next series by Jacksonville's backups ... do you then keep your starters out there the entire first quarter? Where do you draw the line? How much are you willing to risk from an injury standpoint?

It's one thing to go into camp expecting to play the starters for a series in the final game, and another to change it at the last minute, especially when it's your fifth game and not your fourth. I wonder if this experiment is more about Zorn himself - needing to see his offense work, needing to hone his own playcalling with his real guys on the field, needing to rebuild some of his own confidence?

Obviously, we'll be keeping a close eye on the offensive and defensive lines. Well, just the offensive line for the most part. All the starters save for Jon Jansen (foot) are in, and anything close to what transpired in Carolina will be, to Zorn (and you guys, too, I'm guessing), unacceptable.

As for the lineups, here are the scratches:

On defense - Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington (hip), LaRon Landry (hamstring), London Fletcher, Jason Taylor (knee), Cornelius Griffin, Khary Campbell (thigh), Rocky McIntosh and Andre Carter are out. Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston are the only regulars on defense still starting.

The starting defense will be:
Rob Jackson - Kedric Golston - Anthony Montgomery - Demetric Evans
Albert Fincher - H.B. Blades - Curtis Gatewood
Matteral Richardson Justin Tryon
Chris Horton - Reed Doughty
On offense, Clinton Portis, I suppose, is in good enough form that he is above the fray and doesn't need to take part with the first team offense. He's sitting this one out. Jansen (foot) and Antwaan Randle El (who has had his hand wrapped lately) are out. Stephon Heyer is starting for Jansen, James Thrash is starting for Randle El and Marcus Mason is starting for Portis.

Got all of that?

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 28, 2008; 6:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Closing Time for 2008 Preseason Looms
Next: The Reception for Gregg Williams

Comments

Ggot it

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

GGot it

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 28, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

GGreat minds thinking alike?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 28, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Curtis Ggatewood? Where the bloody he11 did he come from?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Ggreat minds think alike

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

plan is set. watch a couple series and take a nap. life is ggood

Posted by: Anonymous 2 | August 28, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Gatewood is the one Marcus Washington said he's taken under his wing a little bit. I like what I've seen from him, but he's in the mix for a PS spot.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 28, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Back to School Night this evening. . . effin great.
So my answer to the question: "Where were you when the first black man accepted the nomination for the presidency of the United States?" "At Back to School Night." Lame lame lame lame lame lame lame

At least I can catch some of the game.

Posted by: sfskin | August 28, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Ggreat ggooggley mooggley

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Can we just have Reid take over? I mean really JLC hate is getting old. How can you question one coach and not the other for doing the same thing? Especially when the other coach is putting in starts on both side of the ball.

Posted by: jm220 | August 28, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I sent this in as a guest blog but as it is somewhat timely - after last week's blow out - I'll post it here.

This is only a test. Had this been an actual emergency….

Last year, the Redskins were a playoff team. They beat the Giants handily before they went on to win the Super Bowl. The talent and the core veterans are still with the team. The players all knew that the first half of the Carolina game was going to be the “final” test before the regular season. They knew what was at stake here and they fell on their faces. Why?

This is the players testing Zorn. It wasn’t a pre-meditated thing where the players got together and said that they were going to have a bad game to see how he was going to react. But Zorn is an untested newbie. The players want to know how he is going to react in a crisis situation. This is it. Is Zorn the one in control or are the players going to be ones really running the show?

The players are saying, “Yeah, we messed up and we should play some in the final pre-season game.” They have to say that but what they say is irrelevant. It’s not a matter of whether or not the players like him or not. It’s how Zorn is responding that is the key here. Remember, this is an aggressive, take-charge, dominate-the-opponent game. He needs to let them know that this type of game is totally unacceptable. This is where we are starting to see whether or not Zorn will take charge or not.

If he does a “I’ll throw them in there against Jacksonville and see how it goes from there,” I personally think that it will be a very long season. If it were me, I would put them all through hell week. (Screaming at players optional.) I don’t think it’s necessary to have full contact drills to increase the possibility of new injuries but it should be a physically hard week. I would show the whole team all the blunders that were made in the Carolina game to shame them. He really needs to show them who is really in charge and that this type of performance is completely unacceptable – to him. Be nice if they do well but give ‘em hell if they do badly. They can take it.

The team is now finding out whether he is a real head coach who is going to be a true leader or if this is going to be Spurrier Part Deux.

Given the worsening performances over this pre-season, it's looking too much like Part Deux to me - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: charlie | August 28, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

++++++ All I care about at this point is no injuries. No injures! NO INJURIES! You hear that gobble wobblers?!?!? +++++++

Post o' the night!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's get out of this game with no injuries

Posted by: jm220 | August 28, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

great minds think alike, jm220. (but not bodies, because really, mine ain't like yours)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

My man Mason to start. Time to prove me right dude! Would like to see Colt get in after the 1st string goes out since this is it for him this year except for the scout team.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 28, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:50 PM

Glad you cleared that up. LOL

Posted by: jm220 | August 28, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

sfskin...

Barack Obama speaks at 10PM!

Posted by: sicwidit | August 28, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes sic he does but I'm on the West Coast so it's 7pm and parents will be here and I have to try and convince them I'm a suitable educator of their children. . . that is certainly more important than this speech . . . GRR

Posted by: sfskin | August 28, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

anywhere online to watch the game; i'm screwed since aa county comcast moved washington stations to digital and i don't have that

Posted by: skinsfan | August 28, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I mean there is nothing to say about our offense except pppphhhppptttt! *groan*

Defense doing okay. Nice pick Doughty.

Posted by: sfskin | August 28, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Takin a shot at Portis but you don't take a shot at your boy Betts. Funny how you always latch on to backups that no one really cares about. Kinda reminds me of a certain beat reporter who over 4 years has had all of his partners hired by BIG TIME publications/sites while he toils, bitterly, covering the beat for a sport he knows nothing about.

Posted by: CVille | August 28, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse