Ganther: Meyer wouldn't do well in NFL

The speculation that Urban Meyer could follow Steve Spurrier's path from Gainesville, Fla., to Ashburn is surprising. Numerous reports are saying Meyer's unexpected departure from the University of Florida is, in fact, health-related. But even if it wasn't, Meyer has always been a college coach and never expressed any interest in coaching in the pros.

Besides, if you trust the words of one of his former players, Meyer wouldn't be a good fit in the NFL. Running back Quinton Ganther is the only player on the Redskins' roster who played under Meyer. Meyer recruited Ganther out of Citrus College outside of Los Angeles to the University of Utah, where Meyer, Ganther and quarterback Alex Smith helped the Utes post an undefeated season and become the first non-BCS team to play in a BCS bowl game.

"No matter where he goes, he's going to win," Ganther said of Meyer. "That's just the mentality he has. He could never coach in the NFL because he likes too much structure, too much power. You can't do that to these grown men who are making millions of dollars. But in college, he can do that."

Ganther made his comments last week, before Meyer stepped down from the Gators' coaching job on Saturday evening.

Ganther is the subject of a profile in Sunday's Post, in which the Redskins' starting running back -- the team's fourth of the season -- opens up and shares the details of his path to the NFL and his unexpected spot in the Redskins' backfield. It wasn't easy to escape Richmond, Calif., where both of his parents were involved in drugs, his father was locked up for most of Ganther's childhood, and Ganther himself put money in his pocket by selling marijuana in high school. But Ganther made it, and Meyer is one of many people he credits.

Meyer showed up -- in-person -- at Citrus and offered Ganther a scholarship. At the time, Ganther says he couldn't even spot Utah on a map. (He laughs now, well aware that it's next-door to California.) Washington State was also hot after Ganther, but Meyer convinced him to play football in the Mountain West Conference.

"He's a firecracker. He makes you want to play for him," Ganther said of Meyer. "He has you thinking you can run through the wall. He just gets you excited."

By Rick Maese  |  December 27, 2009; 8:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth denies boycott rumor
Next: The Gameday reading and watching room

Comments

I want CJ Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 12:57 AM

I want a jessica biel and alba sandwich.

You'd take spiller in the top 10 and pass on a LT?

I'd say trade back collect picks and go OT/FS, RB, & OG. Regardless of any OL FA pick up.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I want CJ Spiller! The Redskins do not have an explosive player...a guy that is a threat to take it to the house any time. I would love to stockpile O-lineman, but I'm tired of having inferior talent.

I want CJ Spiller and I want him now!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love what Ganther is done, he's not a starting RB. He's too slow...hard worker and hits the holes well, but he's not gonna scare any defenses.

He may be worth keeping though.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Last time I looked at a map Utah wasn't exactly "next-door" to California!

Posted by: msimms2 | December 27, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Ah, yeah, Utah is on the other side of Nevada. That's a lot of driving to get to your neighbor's house. Maybe a Post editor should have educated both the running back and the writer about U.S. Geography, then neither the subject nor the writer would look like the idiots they appear to be. I'm certain you have scores of unpaid interns capable of looking at Google Maps ... just to make sure.

Posted by: tkoho | December 27, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

The storybook outcome to Ganther's amazing story lacks only one thing (truly unfortunately) - NFL speed.

Posted by: thinker11 | December 27, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Fat Al is full of crap. Orakpo/Carter are one of the top sack duo's in the league, so what is Al whining about? The defense aint great but it's been pretty good this year- far superior to the offense.

We dont have good cover guys and that limits how much you blitz.

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Our cover guys are fine. That is when the coaches aren't telling them to stand 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and play a soft zone in the secondary.

Our free safety is a coverage liability. Of course the coaches have had opportunities all year to make adjustments and play him in a different position.

I think what Al is whining about is the same thing that the fans have been whining about with this defense.

Why do we play bend-don't-break crap? Why do we see guys dropping into soft zones all the time? Why are our DBs 15 yards off the LOS? Didn't we invest a bazillion $$ in the defense, so why don't we cut them loose?

The one thing that the D-coaches got right was finding a nice pass-rush chemistry with Carter/Orakpo.

You can criticize Al for sounding off to the media - sure, that kind of stuff is out of line. But the content of what he's got to say is right on.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | December 27, 2009; 8:06 AM ET

Sounds like a fella' BRUCE ALLEN once knew and loved well, GEORGE ALLEN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 27, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Amen, brother. Sunday sermon at its best.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 27, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

You can fat al all you want. It's a free country, but to my mind ORAKPO/CARTER are what they are because of HAYNESWORTH and GRIFFIN. Problem is neither can play every down. And we need a new GRIFFIN. ALEXANDER, GOLSON are too small and MONTGOMERY just doesn't get it.

I don't want top running backs pounded into the emergency rooms of the country because they're being swallowed up by defenses not being blocked by a solid o-line. Put the OT horses before the running back cart.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 27, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller and I want him now!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Dexter McCluster! not Spiller!!!

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | December 27, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller and I want him now!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:46 AM

Why want a no 5 rank, why not Toby Gerhert, no 1 in the nation; after this, if you still want CJ Spiller, then something is wrong with you.

Posted by: abxinc | December 27, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse