Gano heads list of Redskins who are questionable

The Redskins didn't practice today because of the weather, but there was still some movement on the injury report.

The good news: defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who's missed the team's past two games, is listed as probable for Monday night's game against the Giants.

The bad news: several other players are questionable, including Graham Gano, the only kicker on the roster, who has been bothered all week by a foot injury.

Right tackle Stephon Heyer is listed as questionable, but when Jim Zorn talked about him Friday, he sure didn't sound optimistic. Heyer didn't practice this week and has been bothered by a knee injury for the past several weeks. William Robinson, signed off the practice squad this month, would likely start in Heyer's place.

Also questionable: fullback Mike Sellers, who missed last week's game, cornerback DeAngelo Hall, safety Kareem Moore and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin.

For the Giants, tackle Kareem McKenzie and cornerback Corey Webster are listed as doubtful. Cornerback Aaron Ross is questionable. Quarterback Eli Manning and running back Ahmad Bradshaw are both probable.

With practice canceled, players are unavailable for interviews today. And Gano's Twitter account did little to clarify his status. He tweeted this afternoon: "U take me outta Florida but u can't take Florida outta me...I'm wearin sandals in the snow."

By Rick Maese  |  December 19, 2009; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins have no comment on Blache report
Next: Sources say Gray interviewed for Redskins' head-coaching job

Comments

Well, that's just great...and ironic. One of Vinny's last decisions was to cut Suisham (I understand he went to the locker room right after the Saints game and wanted him cut right then but Danny Smith talked him out of it) and sign Gano. Now after one game Gano is hurt and Vinny is gone.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

So, let's see what Bruce Allen is made of. Can he field a kicker on Monday who will take Gano's job?

Posted by: League-Source | December 19, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

This is not an injury bug, it's a PANDEMIC!

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

skinsfaninkehone

"...it's 68 here on Oahu, too. We're all wearing long pants and hoodies, it's fricking cold. And to top it all off, the North wind is ruining the surf. It's terrible."

I feel your pain.

It's 68 degrees and sunny here in Palm Beach County, Florida, too.

I just closed the windows and turned on the heat because mrsmoe said the cold ruined her condom stash.

I told her I was too busy becoming a famous blogga to worry about the cold.

She gave me the finga and pointed at the thermostat while counting her condoms.

"A girl's gotta make sure her tools are ready to go when it's time to work," she said.

"Turn on the heat."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"Gano heads list of Redskins who are questionable."

So if he can't kick, do we bring back Shaun Suisham?

Just a question....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

So if he can't kick, do we bring back Shaun Suisham?

Just a question....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 2:25 PM

Right. Replace a guy who can't kick with a guy who can't kick. Blind leading the blind.

Posted by: League-Source | December 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hes gonna kick. Hes gotta kick. I dropped rackers who is hurt and added him in FF, LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 19, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn isn't kep in some sort of capacity, then JC will have another year of excuses. The headlines being something like, yet another offensive system for poor JC to learn. If only he'd had stability then he'd be a Hall of Famer for sure...
Let the excuses start. Interesting though how he is given so much slack (years worth) and Zorn has only had a short rope? Not exactly equitable IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

GBN:

Rutgers...junior LT Anthony Davis (#75, 6-5, 325) has as much upside as any prospect at the position in the country. Davis is a prototype ‘dancing bear’ type with the size, strength and intensity to be a dominating run blocker, while also possessing the long arms and quick feet to be a shut-down pass protector.
On tv tonight at the St Petersburg bow.

Posted by: skinfanman

I went to Rutgers, have seen them play on TV and in person—five times this year. I’ve watched Davis carefully, and I disagree. For most of this season he’s looked slowfooted, and been sacked against by speed guys.

He’s improved as RU has run more, but I sure don’t see the quick feet.

He strikes me as a right tackle or guard in the pros. That blurb sounds like it was written before the season, based on promise. If he’s there in the second round, I’d sure snag him, tho.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

skinsfaninkehone

I feel your pain.

It's 68 degrees and sunny here in Palm Beach County, Florida, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe

First, you spelled Condominiums wrong.

Second here in LA's burbs it's currently 74 at 11:35 FM with a predicted high of oh wow, man, because of all the um, like legal marijuana places where you can you know...whatever. Gotta go look for some 'Nila wafers.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I may be wrong but I believe the G-men have an indoor facility along with alot of other teams.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

They do but NYC is 200 mi north of DC and the winters are much oolder and there are more snow storms. Save a blizz the players should be outside practicing in the weather they will have for games. An indoor facility would be a waste of $$$.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I went to Rutgers ...

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2009 2:32 PM |

Go Scarlet Knights. Beat UCF.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The kicker!!?? WTF how does this keep happening?

Oh yeah, I gave up on the season two months ago, never mind.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Jasono is reporting that Jerry Gray interviewed for the HC position as well.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree, he's no left tackle but he could be a great right tackle. I'd love to see him next to BMW next year. I only see a couple left tackles in the draft. Okung, Campbell, and Bulaga are the only ones I think can be counted on as left tackles. Some of the other guys may pan out but it's doubtful.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Curently in Key West it is a sunny 75 but a cold front and 60 is expected for tomorrow.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | December 19, 2009 2:16 PM

With the practice fields buried in snow. So no try outs.

Posted by: mack1 | December 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

It's 68 degrees and sunny here in Palm Beach County, Florida, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 2:22 PM |

Here in Jersey it's 25 deg and snow is falling like Tiger's approval rating. Turning on the heat when the temp is 68 deg is downright disgusting. But it is good that you are looking out for your fambly's income earner. mrsmoe's condom stash should last her through the night and then tomorrow being warmer you can replenish her supply and have a nice day.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Jasono is reporting that Jerry Gray interviewed for the HC position as well.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2009 2:59 PM |

If you gots to interview someone Gray would be a better choice than Blache. Blache is ready to retire and he has a heart condition - not exactly a plausible candidate.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

From Jasno

------------------------------

Yeah this guys defense's sucked when he was the DC. Let's hope he's the secondary coach or something of the ilk.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

This is simply madness, wow! Madness will never leave this team. Is Shanahen or what ever the hell his name is going to play right tackle or offensive line or is Shanawhatever a good kicker? Will Jason Campbell have to learn yet another offense? Or will they bring in John Elway? This team seriously have inborn madness since Dan Snyder. Maybe John Riggins is right, maybe Snyder truly have dark heart or everyone agreeing to any move besides the hiring of a new GM is simply stupid. Leave Zorn alone, his stock is rising, JC is doing better, why rock the boat, stupid, simply stupid and idiotic.

Posted by: abxinc | December 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

theCork

"He strikes me as a right tackle or guard in the pros."

I think whomever Allen drafts to play tackle will be a strong college left tackle who gets shifted to right tackle in the pros to get his bearings.

That means the choice is signing Jones, and using S Heyer as a back up to both tackle spots.

And that's probably the best choice.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ich habe meine Unterhosen verschmutzt.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 19, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Bob Slowik, Shanahan's former coordinator in Denver, is virtually certain to have a role on defense."

So let's imagine the sitdown.

Jerry Gray and Greg Blache are in an interview for the redskins' head coach job (obstensibly to meet the Rooney Rule requirements) and later learn neither might have a role running the defense next year.

Do you think one of them wonders out loud, "Hey, what am I, a tool?"

Well, yes.

You both are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

there is an article on nfl.com about Shanahan organizing his staff. do you think, could you find out from your sources if he will change the defense. the one, and I think only, reason that he got fired was because of his defense. now he is thinking about giving the same guy to run his defense.

Posted by: Skins2 | December 19, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Shannafanny is such a dumb answer. He is NOT a redskin coach. The change needed was the GM one. Zorn had to work with a non-existant start from scratch O-line. The draft picks Vinny got werent producing/ececuting until recently so u get good DEF and no points. O-line gels and Davis/Thomas start movin chains and posting points and now the answer is blow it up again? You have GOT to be kidding me, talk childish and imature, call me and fellow thinkers names but th truth is the truth, and that would be dumb! If Zorn does go, I know SHan and Grudy arent the answers-they suck and thats why there available. Noone wants them coaching their NFL football teams.....oh wait, dun dunt duhhhhh..........enter Dan Snyder? Hope not.

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"Monica Lewinsky Tells Author of Impeachment Book that Bill Clinton Lied to the Grand Jury"

Posted: 12/18/09

I guess after eleven years, she decided to clear her mind.

And her throat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Do you think one of them wonders out loud, "Hey, what am I, a tool?"

Well, yes.

You both are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 3:42 PM |

Gray would have been a more plausible candidate to interview but he is not one of Snyder's pets so he probably would have told the FO to stick it if they asked him to interview since he knows he has no future in DC. Blache on the other hand, while not a plausible candidate, has been well treated $$$ by the FO so he would be the more likely one to "take one for the team" with this minority hiring rule shabingus.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get the Shanahan fascination. As I've said many times before, he has not won a Super Bowl since the 90's AND he drafted Jay "pout face' Cutler.

Why would he interview (and start working on his staff) with the Skins when the season is not over and Zorn is still our coach? Not to mention the Rooney Rule. And why not wait for the Cowboys job? Their QB situation is not in question and they have the flashy stadium.

And why would he let all this get out????

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Now here's what bothers me about the Rooney rule Steve Spurrier over Marvin Lewis,Jim Zorn over Jim Caldwell(Colts) so Greg Blache instead of Mike Shanahan ain't a stretch in fact it makes sense, Shanahan's going to come in and change everything and here we go again change for change's sake, Snyder should have hired Greg Williams i mean how many ex coach's does he have on the tab? More of the same folks more of the same.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

From WaPo: Bears having trouble getting to Baltimore game.

I know this snow has been an inconvenience for us all and traveling from the woods of western Maryland or Virginia is a real schlep, so why don't the bears just sell their Ravens tickets on Stub Hub and buy tickets for the Skins/Giants game Mon night? I mean how diehard of a Ravens fan can a bear actually be?

Posted by: ElDrano | December 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he hasn't won a Superbowl since the 90's.

We'd be much better off keeping Zorn, last time he won a Superbowl as a coach was...

Posted by: p1funk | December 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | December 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've been analyzing your post for 7 minutes trying to follow your flow of logic here.

The best I can come up with is this:

"Shanahan is a nanny-poo-head, and that's why we shouldn't hire him".

Very compelling thought.

If I'm missing something important, let me know...

Posted by: p1funk | December 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he hasn't won a Superbowl since the 90's.

Posted by: p1funk

I never said we should keep Zorn (I'm undecided) but we should look at someone other than Shanahan....maybe a hot up and coming guy like Leslie Frazier.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

the team is playing well as of late and I've even given JC some deserved credit for his play. Now, bringing in a new coach and system? Keep JZ and JC and allow Bruce to bring in other assistants and players. Shanny I hope is not coming.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Their QB situation is not in question and they have the flashy stadium.

And why would he let all this get out????

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 4:09 PM |

Please there QB is a choking punk and can't win a game in December.

The roony rule has already been fulfilled or didn't you read the post your posting on.

Shany had four playoff appearances after Elway including an AFC championship game, with Jake Plummer so anyone want to tell me who is a better choice.

Zorn sucks and is not the reason the team is playing better, Shanny runs a version of the WCO so JC if he stays will be fine.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn sucks and is not the reason the team is playing better

empirical evidence please.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:34 PM |

There not playing better because of Zorn, so why should he stay, systems in the NFL are not that different QB learn new systems all the time and do fine.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm.

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Hiring Gray or Blache doesn't fix the problem: Zorn can't manage game day decisions or call a good game. Hiring Gray or Balche presupposes that Zorn is gone. Fine.

So, if you hire Gray or Blache, you still have to get an OC. Now, maybe ShLewis is the answer, but does it really seem like its a long term fix on that side of the ball?

Danny settled on Zorn after everybody else got the jump on him when St Joe retired for good after the 2007 season.

Danny has decided that Zorn was done, and that Shanahan was his guy possibly as early as the loss in Detroit. That was an embarrassment. The poor performances and the inability to score TDs against the other powder puffs early in the schedule only sealed the deal.

Shanahan is the leader by 10 strokes in the clubhouse with the last remaining guy walking up the 18th fairway. If he is not the next Coach of the Redskins, I will be absolutely shocked.

What I'm not sure about is the DEF job. I think Gray has a good shot at that gig. Remember when he was competing for the Memphis HC job? It was him and another guy and the other guy was gonna get the job...but then suddenly it was Gray. BUT, come Monday or Tuesday morning following the weekend all the press said it was his, it just as suddenly went back to the other guy. What happened? Conjecture: Shanny/Danny got ahold of him and told him he could have the DC or AHC/DEF job on Shanny's staff. Alternative: Slowik gets AHC/DEF and Gray gets D Coord. In any event, Blache is gonna retire.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Zorn sucks and is not the reason the team is playing better

empirical evidence please.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:38 PM |

The team sucked up to the point where they braught in a new playcaller, they also had to start playing young guys because of injuries, turns out those guys are playing better then the starters that Zorn would not sit for underperforming.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Also Zorn's game management is terrible.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn wasn't given the authority to sit over hyped veterans and once they got injured the young guys have shown their merit.
Your statement that guys learn new systems all the time flies in the face of the JC supporters who'll tell you he's a hall of famer were it not for those dreaded new systems he has to learn.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has/would improve given time, (the exact thing jC has been given btw)

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe my eyes, wow. Still a little grinchy towards JC, I see, but I agree with you 100%

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

What is the attraction with Grey?

I don't get this. His unit has openly sucked all year, is clearly the most under performing group on the team - yes, probably worse than the O, and we are still tossing his name around for anything other than an early January dismissal?

Don't Carlos and Landry have two of the worst attitudes on this team? Are they not under his DIRECT watch.

See ya Jerry....

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

1965,

I think Vinny would have wanted his draftees to get more playing time, if he was calling the shots. I think Doc Walker is right when he said Zorn had more power then most people think.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"that Zorn would not sit for underperforming."

Or was told not to sit because of the money they are being paid.

Posted by: The_Spear | December 19, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Romo,

I love nothing more than to be fed humble pie by JC's play. I want the team to win.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

spear,

That is the question we will never know the truth. I just think if Vinny was deciding who played, haveing his draft picks play and perform would have helped him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

OK, this fire Vinny, bring in Bruce Allen move is leaving me more and more queasy. Mind you, I've been on the replace Vinny, replace Zorn bandwagon longer than most, so I'm surprised at this sense I'm getting. But there are reasons for it.

First, Snyder indicates Allen will get to make the football decisions. Sounds good. Except Allen isn't a great GM (the more I read, the less impressed I get), though he's likely better than Vinny.

Second, the Shanahan rumors are EVERYWHERE, and that can't be a Bruce Allen decision. Plus, we all know Shanahan wants control, and a President/HC is a bad structure for an organization. The other thing that gives me pause is this: if Shanahan is coming in, why fire Vinny when he could just be demoted? Vinny did have some things he did OK with -- much better at finding talent in the draft than Allen.

Third, management comes out in full force to deny the PFT rumors about why Vinny may still be with the Redskins ... which is about the most unimportant thing they could do with their valuable time. Shows the paranoia is still a driving force behind what is being done ... and that is the wrong motivator

Fourth, Bruce Allen says he is going to get to know the coaches, etc, before making decisions, but the decision processes seem to be going on without his evaluation.

All in all, I'm not feeling nearly as good about the Bruce Allen hire as I thought I would.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Zorn seems stubborn like how he won't take ARE off punt returns, or he won't give any credit to Smith for how the team has been playing lately.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Snyder wouldn't allow Zorn to sit CP for instance.... I'm for keeping Zorn and having Bruce control day to day personnel issues. Surround Zorn with competent help. I also think the plays being called aren't really better plays, just the players are finally executing them.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

zce,

You never feel good about anything would you feel better if they kept Vinny?

Maybe we should let Allen be on the job for more then two days, before we start crying about how bad he is.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

1965,

I don't agree the play that are being called now go after a defenses weakness Zorn simply called a series of plays on a sheet no matter what the defense was doing.

Snyder does not get involved in who plays, if he did believe me the reporters on here would have crucified him for it by now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you have been paying attention to the Redskins on the field this year.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree Flounder. I think CP gets a pass no matter who is HC.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

CP is gone after the season so it doesn't matter.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

My whole problem with the Shanny thing is...we just hired a GM, shouldnt he be hiring his own guy. From all I have read, this appears to have been going on before GM was hired. Sounds like Danny boy hasn't changed so much to me.

Posted by: downindinwiddie | December 19, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

down,

The GM was hired a while ago and had say in who the coach would be, we are just finding out now because they had to get everyhting straight. I would take Allen and Shanny over Vinny and any coach in the league.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Recently moved from Colorado after living there 17 years. Two things I like about Shanahan: 1. Not afraid to bench\trade a veteran if he's not performing. A few obvious Redskins come to mind, and, 2. Great evaluator of talent, using players in their most suited role.

Posted by: bones21 | December 19, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope Allen cleans the freeking house, especially on the O side of the ball:

JC17 contract not renewed
CP26 cut
ARE82 cut
MS45 cut (incredible decline this year, went from total run over you beast to injury-fearing block-avoiding fumbler in the span of one off season)

and for God's sake get a real FS and play Landry at the only position he knows, SS.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 19, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Vinny's gone so its got to be an improvement. I didn't realize Allen was hired/chosen before this week.

Posted by: downindinwiddie | December 19, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Moe I couldn't agree more with your 3:42 pm post. What both galls me and disappoints me is that Blache and Gray would allow themselves to be used to help the team comply with the Rooney rule and would actually participate in these sham interviews. What a joke.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bones21 | December 19, 2009 5:20 PM

There is no question that he is head and shoulders above anyone we've had here in the $nyder era/debacle. including Gibbs 2.0, sorry, Gibbs was out of his league coming back, and that was sad to see. Shanahan has a system that works. ask CP. LOL

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 19, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2009 5:24 PM

The Danny'$ money buying a Sham?

Never!

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 19, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Dejavu all over again? Me too.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 19, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Some don't seem to get it.

Shanahan is not BA's coach.

BA is Shanahan's GM.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 19, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Zorn sucks and is not the reason the team is playing better

empirical evidence please.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:38 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 4:41 PM

Flounder that's not empirical evidence, that's your uneducated opinion.

The emopirical evidence is that Zorn said it takes til late in the second year for a team to learn the WCO. It is also empirical evidence that late in the year the 'skins are averaging more than 28 points a game. It is a theory that the offense has arrived and the "young guys" finally learned where they were supposed to go, and things started clicking under Zorn's offense.

It's my uneducated opinion that Snyder doesn't know football and by firing Zorn will pile one more bad decision on another.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I do not think we can do anything about the changes, good or bad. but it seems that we are going through these changes to satisfy Shanny. what is worrisome is Shanny bringing his DC here and f-ing the only bright spot in the team.
Also, if this has been planned then Bruce Allen is just another liar, because he said to Zorn that he will evaluate everything before making a decision

Posted by: Skins2 | December 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"I think Snyder wouldn't allow Zorn to sit CP for instance.... "

I think the difference now is that no matter who is coach, CP is a goner.

His posted comments in the media earlier in the week suggests he knew something about the BA hiring long in advance and who the next HC might be.

That's why he delivered the cryptic lines about '...maybe continuing my career on elsewhere..'.

If you notice, there wasn't any weeping and wailing in these parts at the remark.

Nothing against Clinton Portis, mind you.

He played well and gave his all during some lean times.

But whatever it was that was attractive about him before, it don't look so good now.

I can think of about $7.5 million reason why.

Pro football teams release decent older players all the time, even when it's not advantagous financially.

I think that's where we're headed with Portis.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs may have been out of his league in v2. But an out of his league Gibbs is apparently good enough to get to the playoffs every other year, thats what a HOF coach really is.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 19, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bones21

Jay Cutler???

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler???

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 5:45 PM |

So one bad pick makes him a bad judge of talent, name me one GM in the league who hasn't had a 1st round bust.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

can anyone find me a team in any sport, where a GM is brought in and the Head Coach is not gone soon after?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"I think Snyder wouldn't allow Zorn to sit CP for instance.... "

I think the difference now is that no matter who is coach, CP is a goner.

Nothing against Clinton Portis, mind you.

He played well and gave his all during some lean times.

I can think of about $7.5 million reason why.

I think that's where we're headed with Portis.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

How very Machiavellian, using existing coaches to skirt the Rooney rule. I had hoped that the palace intrigue went out with VC. Perhaps Riggo was right.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 19, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You're right, the plays are exactly the same, they're just being called in a way that is taking advantage of defenses weaknesses. Both you and Flound are right--execution is vastly improved and Sherm's calling of the plays on hand, especially calling plays to set up other plays depending on the defense, is also a lot better.

These two aspects make a case to keep Zorn, if you buy the "spread too thin" theory along with his inexperience as a play caller. Keep Zorn's offense for a multitude of reasons, just have someone else call it.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 19, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler???

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2009 5:45 PM

Cutler played well for Shanahan. And, his successors were able to trade him for the moon. So, yeah, Cutler -- emphatically.

Posted by: League-Source | December 19, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Gray beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 19, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The only concern I have about Shanahan is who will lead the defense, and if that person will be able to continue the success the Skins defense has had over the last few years. Having Shanahan, his son, and his other members of his staff will only help in taking the Skins offense to another level. His staff has so many more years of experience in running the WCO than the current staff. Notice how the offense blossomed under the gameday direction of someone who has years of experience in this offense. I would hope that Chris Meidt and Stump Mitchell will find themselves on the new staff.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Why does Russ Grimm's name keep getting brought up here and there? I'm not saying he wouldn't be good, but I really would like to know what it is specifically about him that's appealing. Former Redskins great, yes. What else? I'm not being sarcastic here, either.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 20, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys! Let's keep focused. This monday night is "our" Division championship game for this season. And our next game is our Super Bowl! The last one is our Pro Bowl. If we win all three, how can the new FO fire Zorn? He's learning this HC job, and one can see some positive results lately. Give him the benefit of the doubt. I liked to go into next season with a 4 game winning streak. JC and JZ are both doing well. Let's see if they continue to roll. I hope the new BA gives 'em a chance to show everyone that both these guys aren't playing out of position!

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 20, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse