Redskins Leaning to the Left

Last week we touched on some of the tradeoffs in the switch from Jon Jansen to Stephon Heyer as the starting right tackle. I have no issues with the change and fully understand why it went down. But what the Skins gained in pass protection, they lost a bit in the running game, at least in the short term.

Heyer is still learning to be more aggressive in the run game, to adopt more of Jansen's pitbull mentality. He needs to be more physical, and with right guard Randy Thomas working back from a season-ending injury and trying to regain his form, the Redskins may end up being a left-sided team early on. It's certainly appeared that they were comfortable running to that side in recent weeks, and I'd be doing the same thing under the circumstances.

"I think a lot of Stephon's game is still developing," center Casey Rabach said. "Stephon is a young, talented player and he definitely has some room for improvement. We just go out there with what we're dealt with. Can he get the job done? Yes. Can Jon get the job done? I still think so, but it is what it is and we've just got to move forward from this point on."

Here's the breakdown of Clinton Portis's 23 carries (for 84 yards) last week against the Giants:

Runs Right
TOTAL: 6 for 15, 1 run over 3 yards, no negative runs

Runs Middle
+ 3
TOTAL: 8 for 15, 2 runs over 3 yards, 2 runs for losses

Runs Left
+23
TOTAL: 9 for 54, 6 runs over 3 yards, 2 runs for losses (also 5 runs of 5 yards or more)

Pretty telling, eh? (And, again, the left tackle is generally the best, most athletic lineman on your team, and it's natural to favor that side, but you can't go for long averaging six per carry to that side and two per attempt to the right or the middle).

I'm sure the Skins want to be more balanced as the year goes along, and we all have questions about how this offensive line will hold up. Heyer has yet to enter his prime, while many others in this group are on the wrong side of 30. I'm sure he will continue to progress. Having Thomas, vintage 2005, next to him to hold him up would be a tremendous help, and we'll see how Randy comes along as the season progresses, and how strong the right side can become in all aspects of play.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 11, 2008; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts Excused From Practice/Injury Update
Next: Redskins-Saints Scouting Report

Comments

first?

Posted by: briz cariz | September 11, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Blurst.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

...opeate a computer...

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Putting Down Idiots | September 11, 2008 6:19 PM

The computer. "Opeate" of the masses.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 7:08 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you forgot about these games too

* Contra
* Life Force
* Track & Field
* Ikari Warriors
* Commando
* Ninja Gaiden

Posted by: JinxMan | September 11, 2008 7:11 PM

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, (Select) Start

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly a rousing endorsement from Rabach: "We just go out there with what we're dealt with."

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Finally a non anti-skins post from JLC. I don't mind unbiased, just take the hate out. Nice job.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, (Select) Start

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:19 PM

I believe it was A,B,A,B then select and start. (Of course that was a while ago and there have been a few beers between now and then.)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who has heard murmurs about Jon Jansen converting to Left guard after this year when Pete Kendall's contract runs out? Is that kind of transition (from right tackle to left guard) even possible? (I mean physically possible according the known established natural laws operating in this unvierse).

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The computer. "Opeate" of the masses.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 7:08 PM

Hilarious!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, (Select) Start

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:19 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 7:28 PM

I'm pretty sure it's B,A. I played it a couple years ago. Of course I can now beat it without the 30 men. In fact, one of the great moments of my life was beating Contra without dying at all.

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:31 PM

???? Hmmm mmm

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's wrong to think this way, but any chance that Hurricane Ike will take the cowgirls with it?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:36 PM

you continue to show yourself as a really great person......its kind of funny you would accuse anybody of anything and then make a statement like that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:36 PM

We won't need Ike. We can count on Romo to choke in the clutch.

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Hurricanes over the last few years have taken thousands of lives in the country and ruined/forever changed hundreds of thousands of peoples lives and you make a joke about it.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

screw that, where the skanks at?

Posted by: cc | September 11, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:36 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 7:38 PM

And as a footnote, I only wish this on the cowgirls. I hate them and will stoop to the lowest level to see them put down. (plus it was really tongue in cheek!)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Well it looks like we should be game-planning for Russia come January 20.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:36 PM

We won't need Ike. We can count on Romo to choke in the clutch.

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 7:39 PM

You're probably right. What was I thinking.

And thanks for taking my statement the way I intended, in fun and not to see people die.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Bit of an on the spot poll, which Skins Offensive Rookie scores a touchdown first?

a) Devin Thomas
b) Malcolm Kelly
c) Fred Davis

I'm going to go with Devin, simply because he's the only one playing at this stage, so odds are in his favour.

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Anon,
Nothing makes me happier than watching the Redskins blow up the Cowboys.

I really like it when the Skins stomp a strong Dallas team.

Both teams have not been strong in a long, long time. Here's to the next such meeting.

HTTR!

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

a) Devin Thomas
b) Malcolm Kelly
c) Fred Davis

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 8:09 PM

I will go with Kelly on this. In spite of Corks retraction, I think he will play this weekend and score.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | September 11, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Sleepy.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

With you there Stumped. There are two reasons I still like Brunnel. Both happened with four minutes to go on a Monday night!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could pick the other two but it looks like Thomas will be the only one active so gotta go with Devin.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go with Kelly, I think he's the most likely to make it in on a jump ball situation.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

As much as some hate (and with good cause) on the Skins ownership, we could have it worse:

ROB RYAN: “DON’T BLAME AL FOR DEFENSE”
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2008, 8:18 p.m. EDT
On Wednesday, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin distanced himself from a poor defensive performance against the Broncos on Monday night, explaining that defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is solely responsible for that aspect of the game, and that Ryan works directly with owner Al Davis.

On Thursday, Ryan took issue with any effort to blame Davis for the defense’s performance.

“That’s all on me. I put the game plan in, I run the defense, and it’s all on me,” Ryan said. “I just want to set it straight because I’ve been here five years and I don’t think people necessarily have the right story.

“I’m disappointed, but I just wanted to tell my side of the story for once because there’s so many other things that come out where I have to read it and take it and I just want the truth as I know the truth.”

Ryan directly confronted the suggestion that he receives input from Davis.

“I meet with Mr. Davis in the offseason,” Ryan said. “That thing is just [wrong], and I want to make sure you got it right. I meet with the owner in the offseason. He’s the boss, he’s the man that hired me, and that’s been well-documented. I don’t meet with him on game plans or come up with all this. It’s amazing when things like this come out when we have a bad week. Put it on me, that’s where it belongs. I’m the man that runs the defense.”

And to the extent that Kiffin was trying to deflect blame for the performance of the defense, Ryan made clear his belief that the buck stops on the head coach’s desk.

“I’ve worked, it seems, like 100 years in coaching . . . and you have a chain of command and the head coach is in charge,” Ryan said. “He’s in charge and I’m sure he’s just as disappointed in me in the way things went Monday night and the job that I did. That’s just the way it is. I’ve never had a problem with authority. I was brought up right and I always respect authority. We have communication, but understand, my job’s to be the defensive coordinator, and Lane’s the head coach.”

Obviously, none of this is good. Ryan probably didn’t meet with the media on Thursday because he wanted to do so, but because others in the organization decided to counter the message that was sent by the head coach.

And when there’s such a conflict between what the head coach says and what others higher up in the franchise believe, it means that the head coach won’t be around for much longer.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 7:38 PM

Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack. Up here throwing elbows at everyone trying to start fights. All holier-than-thou over a hurricane joke.

So, look, zipper, what can we make jokes about up here besides you?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

a) Devin Thomas
b) Malcolm Kelly
c) Fred Davis

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 8:09 PM

D) Theo Walcott.

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Stumped wrote: both teams have not been strong in a long, long time.

Yes, but unfortunately the Boys went 13-3 last year, with a dozen pro bowlers. They are better than last year and continue trending up from their Parcells mediocrity and - do you not agree - have the potential to be quite powerful. Take a look at their house-like OL, their loaded defensive backfield, their stable of runners, Romo and Whitten and Nick Folk and good LBs led by Ware. Please tell me where we match up. Please tell me why they won't be contending for a SB this year and for the next 3. The Skins are the ones on the outside of the cafeteria buffet, looking in the windows with holes in our pockets. Which of our units is better than theirs?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Lane Kiffin throwing Rob Ryan under the bus? Apparently Lane Kiffin doesn't know better than to piss off a pirate.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Which of our units is better than theirs?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:56 PM

Heh. He said "units."

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Anon, you're right about Dallas, but we can at least hope to trip them up in Landover. Plus if the Skins can get to 10-6 and make the playoffs, it's a new season and anybody's game.

Posted by: Rupert Jergins | September 11, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

It saddens me to admit it, but I have to agree w/ Anon on this one. Dallas is definitely better. We're an undifferentiated mess right now.

Posted by: mfpierce49 | September 11, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

ROB RYAN: “DON’T BLAME AL FOR DEFENSE”

Thanks Rob

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

mfpierce49,

Perhaps you will agree with me that the beginning of our turn-around is taking an honest look in the mirror. The Skins have some steak, but on too few plates. For example, the OL and DL are looking like some soggy burgers to me.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you're probably closest to the mark!

What happened to your fantasy team? You were the king last year!

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:27 PM

Finally, a non anti-JLC post from Anonymous. I don't mind unbiased, just take the hate out. Nice job.

Posted by: Mr. Reversal Guy | September 11, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Which of our units is better than theirs?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:56 PM

That's easy...DB's

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

"Not that I am any better, but I am not the same anon that you have been arguing with all day. Just wanted to clarrify that."--Anon

Maybe you anons could number yourselves, so we can tell you apart. You'd still be anons, just less so.

Posted by: Anonymous#1 | September 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, Rutgers sucks. (at the half, anyway)

And I went there.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous#1 | September 11, 2008 9:27 PM

Or better yet, as it has been suggested before, come up with a real, fake name.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

As if on cue, that was me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to remain nameless and numberless, and really couldn't care less who any of the rest of you people are either

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you're probably closest to the mark!

What happened to your fantasy team? You were the king last year!

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 9:17 PM

I lost the first game last year as well, and to Nate of all people. The difference is that this year looks like I'm going to keep losing.

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

NFL Countdown on ESPN today:
Talked about how three QBs in the NFC East had good games last week.
Even displayed a graph of the stats for
Manning, Romo and McNabb

Then get this, they then said "sorry Jason Campbell"

oh boy....

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 11, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

So you think the Skins DBs are better than: newman, Anthony henry, Adam Jones, Roy Williams, Hamlin, Scandrick and their #1 pick Jenkins? I guess you're right but it isn't by a wide margin is it? Our LBs might also be better.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:29 PM

You're certainly entitled but the animosity is not necessary with your anonimity.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM

Yea, I do. I think Williams is a joke. Waaaaay overrated. Pacman hasn't proven anything except that he shopuld be locked up. #1 pick means nothing after 1 game. Hamlin is good when healthy (like Springs). Is it by a wide margin? Maybe not but it's a decent margin. Our special teams ain't too shabby.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:29 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM

not animosity, just pure unadulterated fact

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Ray comin out to play
Redskin Ray to save the day
Redskin Ray got some things to say
Redskin Ray whose favorite was Jay
...Schroeder

Posted by: ShaqSkin | September 11, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Todd Wade signed with Jacksonville.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Frost got off to a great start with Green Bay. He's fifth in the league with a 45.2-yard gross punting average and a 42.6 net.

Didn't he do the same with us every year before turning into Shankzilla the Choker?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Todd Palin signed with Nome.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey ShaqSkin,
Been a very busy week; time to read Jason's posts but no real time to be on here much at all.

Do we have LBs that can cover Bush out of the backfield this Sunday?
Scary thought for me!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 11, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM

Did you not read any of zjfr2 posts today? Talk about animosity. Peeps on here like to think that only anon post are vitriol, but the truth is that many of the "regs" on here are as bad if not worse.

Used to be a fun place, now it is like passing by a car wreck. Can't help but to look to see what you can see.

Posted by: long time lurker, sometimes poster | September 11, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 9:30 PM

Has anyone mentioned how Nate's league is going? How does it compare to ours?

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

RR1,

With M. Washington out (correct?) that hurts...Springs and Rogers will have their work cut out for them. Most weeks I love watching Bush in the open field and the reports of his demise were greatly exagerated. But this week we keep him in check and win this game going away 28-14.

Posted by: ShaqSkin | September 11, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone on this blog ever take time to think about what a good name Big Sleepy is. The Kid over slept one time and he will never live it down. It's the definition of a perfect nickname. Everyone made him out to be the smug jerk. If you watch him on cooley's blog he seems almost dorkish, he seems like a pretty good kid. Let's hope he catches a ball or two and soon.

Posted by: Pleepleus | September 11, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under on the amount of running yards the skins need to win this game:

180 combined running yards

I say over, we need to establish line, take pressure odd Soups and keep ball out of Brees hands, b/c unlike Jasno's BS theory, as goes Brees as goes Saints...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 11, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Shaqskin, I agree, we inted on using Nickel packages quite a bit, why not match up a DB on him, more likely to match him for pace and agility, and it's not like Bush is a big bloke who's going to run over people.

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Big Pleepy,

Somebody today was arguing the Skins D should have the nickname "The Wild Boars".

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 11, 2008 9:55 PM

Fortunately, due to recent rule changes, defenders are now allowed to tackle Brees by the long bristly hairs growing from his mole.

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 10:00 PM

Is that what they are? I thought they werehis chin straps!

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM

Posted by: long time lurker, sometimes poster | September 11, 2008 9:47 PM

I'm just as guilty of that as anyone I admit. Usually it's in good fun, but not always i'm sure. That last one was nothing more than amusement. Part of the problem, as I see it, is just what happened with that post. Some take way too seriously what is meant to be humor (albeit possibly bad humor) or ignore the fact that it's humor (knowing full well that is the way it's intended) just to escalate a situation. Again, I have been just as guilty as anyone else on here. That is exactly the reason I have decided to stay away from the political, religious, and idealogical comments that some post just to start trouble.

***end soapbox rant***

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 10:00 PM

Is that what they are? I thought they werehis chin straps!

Posted by: kost52 | September 11, 2008 10:02 PM

Looks like there was an uninvited guest in the telepod.

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under on the amount of running yards the skins need to win this game:

180 combined running yards

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 11, 2008 9:55 PM

Based on my prediction of the Skins record including winning at the Gints on week one, I should stay away from this, but...

I say under, but only because we need to establish a passing attach or we will have 8-9 in the box every game and never be ablt to run the ball. To me, we need to establish the pass to set up the run.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Readin' Writin' 'Rithmetic

Three worst teams last week?

Rams
Raiders
Redskins

come on Skins; get some pressure on Brees this Sunday

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2-

are you serious? haha, you tool.

Posted by: another anon | September 11, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a POW, that means I know how to win against the Saints this upcoming Sunday.

Posted by: J. McCain | September 11, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2-

are you serious? haha, you tool.

Posted by: another anon | September 11, 2008 10:35 PM
*********************

He is a pretty big tool isn't he?

Posted by: Guy Incognito | September 11, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

180 rushing yards by the Skins?

Wow! That would mean Ladell Butts running hard as well as Clinton Portis!

Man, if we get 180 yards, that sure would eat up alot of time off of the clock.

180??
That's one dream I hope really does come true for you, chrIS lArry.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 11, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Blache lauded Reggie Bush from the onset - let it be noted I came around on this guy before chatting with Blache - calling him the best one-on-one player in the game, one of the best talents to come along in 20 years and a matchup problem for every defender in the league, be it a lineman, linebacker or defensive back.

Posted by Jason La Canfora | Permalink |

Thought this was funny. I guess JLC does not know what coach speak is. Did anyone see what Peyton had to say about JC? And the Skins for that matter. Why would Blache say anything negative about Bush? Funny!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:44 PM

Woops! Was me.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | September 11, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Now what?!?!

Posted by: Anon the Peeing | September 11, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

If, uh Campbell throws the ball, and uh, and uh, Moss catches it in the, in the endzone, then that's gonna be, that, that, that's gonna be, that right there, that's gonna be, that right there, that, that's gonna be a touchdown.

Posted by: J. Madden | September 11, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Here is the missing h.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | September 11, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but unfortunately the Boys went 13-3 last year, with a dozen pro bowlers.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 8:56 PM

I don't think that the Boys will win 13 games this year. Last year they avoided major injuries (with exception of Glenn who is gone now) and won several close games that they should have lost. Largely injury free season is is unlikely to happen two years in a row in this league plus the ball won't always bounce their way. They have a better team this year, but their competitors also improved.

Posted by: M | September 11, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, what now?

Posted by: Anon the Pooper | September 11, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Jason, good analysis, very factual and unbiased. Based upon the numbers the OL is weakest in running in the middle. So the weakest link is not the tackles, but Rabach and Randy Thomas. I will give Kendall a break because they ran with more success to the left side, which is where Kendall and Samuels are. This is based on one game so it is an insufficient sample. It would be great to do the same analysis based upon a 3-4 game stretch.

Posted by: M | September 11, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who's been blind sided this year by how bad our offensive line is ? We weren't even healthy last year and weren't this bad, right?

Posted by: Anon the confused | September 11, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Ike

Posted by: Houston, we have a problem. | September 11, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Which members of RI nation, seriously, have hershey squirted in their pants and been stuck with a hot mess in their britches all day?

Posted by: cowpaddy | September 11, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I have.

Posted by: Barno | September 11, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see Jason Reid on Comcast tonight with Marke Maske. Maske was dogmatic that the system must change or the QB must change for the Skins to win otherwise the "losses will pile up".

Reid was all over the same opinion. Even though his "unrestricted" video after the Jets pre-season win "how good are these Redskins" he chided national media for saying the Skins were not very good. "Some people say 8-8 or less, 4th place in the NFC East, and well I'm not sure thats right", the best DB's in the NFC with Springs Rogers, Landry..blah blah blah. Pick an opinion and defend it Bro, don't roll over and go with the flavor of the week.

Posted by: DTC | September 11, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

kost, the second (and in no way inferior) RI fantasy F-ball league is going okay, I guess. Just about everybody missed the draft -- only the biggest moment in the fantasy season -- because I dithered on picking a date until the last minute. That sucked. But now we're off and running.

SMACK, the recipient of the "lose to Nate in the first week and then march to the championship" bounce this season is Dorf.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I say we do better than last week:

Saints 20 Redskins 17

Posted by: F.I.T.S. | September 12, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

As Friday night nears
Thoughts turn to frosty, cold, beer
Boy, am I thirsty

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cowpaddy | September 11, 2008 11:23 PM

===============

I was at work once and farted but got a little extra suprise with it. Luckily I had my gym back with me so I was able to put on my gym shorts and boxers and than head across the interstate to buy some new pants at the store.

I told those who asked that I ripped my pants bending down, thus the need for a new pair.

Posted by: Poo'er | September 12, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

+++This place has become a negative, doom and gloom community, but what is expected when the "leader" JLC is #1 negative and doom and gloom!+++

Don't be silly. Lousy management and lousy teams lead to gloom and doom. Give 'em a good circus, and no one cares what the Ringmaster says.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 12, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

keep your eyes out for chad Reinhardt...i wish we could hurry him up.

Posted by: drummer | September 12, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

ROMO’S GOOD DEED
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2008, 10:25 a.m.

Though we’re always skeptical of celebrities and pro athletes who do something nice for someone else and then send an e-mail to every newspaper in the country announcing their good deed, we’ve got a feeling that the recent Samaritan-style actions of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo weren’t intended to garner the kind of good karma that comes from, say, a grandstanding donation of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes. (Then again, grandstanding donations of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes didn’t help Mike Vick in the karma department.)

On his way home from Sunday’s game against the Browns, Romo stopped to help a couple who was struggling to repair a flat tire.

Bill and Sharon White didn’t initially recognize Romo, due in part to the bandage on his chin that was covering the 13 stitches he received after taking a helmet to the jaw.

The light flickered for Sharon White while Romo was working on the tire. He didn’t answer when she asked if he was who he is. She repeated her question when he finished pumping air into the tire from a cigarette-lighter compressor.

“I didn’t want to bother him,” Sharon said, “but I asked again, ‘You’re Tony Romo, right?’ I knew it was him by then. But he smiled and said, ‘Yes, ma’am.’ I did something no 50-year-old woman should be doing, but I screamed real loud, and then jumped up and hugged him.”

Her husband, Bill, was less concerned about his wife’s PDA with a studly young athlete than he was about ruining his ability to watch the Cowboys-Browns game without knowing the outcome: “Don’t tell me how you guys did,” Bill White said. “I’m going home to watch it.”

Romo didn’t publicize his actions at all; the team didn’t even know about it as of Wednesday. If Sharon White hadn’t sent an e-mail to Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the story might never have been known.

“He gets almost knocked cold in that game, and I read it took 13 stitches to close the cut, and then there’s a long flight home and Tony’s got to be dog tired, but he still was a good enough person to stop and help us,” Bill White said.

“Look, we’re driving a 10-year old car that is sitting in a parking lot with a flat tire in the dead of night. He could tell by that we’re nothing special. But here’s a young man making millions of dollars, and he’s got all this fame and glory, and he does this? . . . This was a good person we met. A good person with small-town values despite all the big-city fame and fortune.

“[I]f I ever had the opportunity, I’d also like to thank two other people. His mom and dad. They obviously raised him right.”

**********

Posted by: Mrs. Flooter | September 12, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mrs. Flooter | September 12, 2008 1:33 AM

=====

Atleast Campbell hit his open receiver.

Posted by: POopy | September 12, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Dang if I aint a moistning up...tearing up somethin awful over that Romo flat tire deal. Them Cowboys is about the nicest bunch of fellers you could ever hope to meet late at night. Where's my hankee.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 12, 2008 4:31 AM | Report abuse

JLC commenting on football is a JOKE! He just re-verbs what other people tell him and then claims it as his own. He's a verbal plagiarist!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Rabach's candor is appreciated. Rabach is on my short list of Skins who want to win and not just pick up a paycheck. Rabach's candor sure beats the load of dung we get fed by Chris Samuels.

Posted by: RTGreenwood | September 12, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

I know some folks here don't like Jason Whitlock, but he's got a pretty interesting column this week on the Vince Young saga:

By the way, Slim Pickens: big f-ing deal that Romo stopped to help someone change a tire. He now needs to feed the hungry, improve the housing market and enact world peace to make up for the many sins of the Cowboys of the '90s.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

RTGreenwood, what is this "load of dung we get fed by Chris Samuels" of which you speak? Does he say something more flattering about Heyer than what Rabach said, or something unflattering about Jansen? Could you post a link or something? I'd like to compare whatever it is to the Rabach quote above to see what you mean. Thanks, dude.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Check it for skins coverage...

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

"I post this in response to Jason Campbell, who ran over my puppy last Thursday night in the Dulles parking garage. I'd let Patches out to stretch his little legs after the long flight and was yelling for Jason to stop, but he got a maniacal look in his eyes, mumbled something about "tucking yarn" and peeled out. He even backed up over Patches and sped out again. I want him to see how nice young QBs should act in the community."

Good comedy

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Although I think the name puddles would have been more appropriate...

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 6:30 AM | Report abuse

At least I'm not the only one killing dogs.

Posted by: Mike Vick | September 12, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I continue to say 2008 is a transition year with a new coach and new system.

Heyer is the future at RT, I think he has shown enough ability in the stretch run last year to warrant the team giving him the chance to start and develop into a guy who can contribute for 10 years here.

Jansen is done at OT. Whether he has a future inside at OG is questionable. Like Todd Wade, Jansen is a career OT who is a tall 6'6 and must learn the 'inside' game of getting leverage on DTs that are 6'1 and go 330. It's a big change.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 12, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Jimmy Z will learn to spend more time coaching and less time mountain biking around Ft Belvoir with a national disgrace like Bush.

Posted by: McBushIsALiar | September 12, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McBushIsALiar

Dude, it was abike ride for crying out loud. You people nit pick everything when the team is losing.

I bet if someone followed your (b)asses on the weekend they'd thing some of the stuff you do is questionable. Would that be ok with you?

Posted by: Skip in Va | September 12, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Good to see the Redskins 'lean to the left'

I can only hope the rest of the country leans left in early November. Another 4 years of neo-con right wing "leadership" will destroy us average Joes in the middle class.

Posted by: McShame/Failin are liars | September 12, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Whoops I thought this was the place for intelligent FOOTBALL discussion, my mistake.

Posted by: baker51 | September 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse