Cardinals Are Enigmatic at 2-0

The Cardinals may be 2-0 for the first time in 17 years, but their wins have come against Miami and San Francisco, teams that combined won all of six games last season. Arizona has made a push for respectability under coaches Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, but have remained on the outskirts of the playoff picture.

Arizona traditionally struggles on the road, particularly in this time zone, and, in a nod to that, the Cards will spend all of next week in the D.C. area, practicing at Catholic University, with a game at the New York Jets looming in Week 4. They are trying to break with a past full of losing. Going 8-8 last year was something of an accomplishment in itself.

The QB, however, is not new at all. Kurt Warner, Mr. Arena League, is still their starter, with former first-round pick Matt Leinart bordering on being a bust. Warner has been ridiculously accurate this season, completing 70 percent of his 54 attempts with four TDs and no picks. His 128.5 rating is third-best in the NFL.

The Cardinals ruffled some feathers (pretty lame, eh) by giving a fat new contract to WR Larry Fitzgerald in the offseason. Fellow star WR Anquan Boldin has asked to be shown the money and has adopted the pouty posture of many a Rosenhaus client. For all of his discontent, however, Boldin has been a force, with 14 catches, 222 yards and 3 TDs already, including a 79-yard score.

Arizona can spray the ball around, but the running game remains something of a disaster. Edgerrin James is looking every bit the way Emmitt Smith did at the end of his career, averaging just 3.5 yards per carry. Arizona is averaging an abysmal 2.7 yards per attempt on the season, second worst in the NFL (would you believe the Cots are dead last?).

The offensive line has been a huge chore for Grimm, a former Skinc lineman and coach. Arizona has tried to be tougher, more fit and grittier on the line, and Warner has taken a beating at times. He's been sacked five times thus far this season.

If the Cards are going to turn the corner as a franchise, the defense has to improve as well. So far, it's hard to make much of them, given their opponents. The Cardinals have some talent up front and a group of linebackers that is plenty deep and largely overlooked, with converted ends manning the outside linebacker spots.

Like the Saints, Arizona has some issues in the defensive secondary.

Antrel Rolle has yet to live up to his draft position, not even close, but the Cards hope a switch from corner to safety will alter his career path. Safety Adrian Wilson is healthy again and is talented. The Cards hope April draft pick Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will be a big play guy and he's working as a nickel corner for now.

Kicker Neil Rackers has put together some huge seasons, but his missed field goal led to Arizona's loss here a year ago. (More on him later in the week as we flashback to the game between these teams at FedEx in 2007).

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 16, 2008; 11:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Unrestricted
Next: Cards-Skins in Review

Comments

First.

Posted by: Jeff R. | September 16, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Just be effective on offense.... that's all I ask for now.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 16, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

only UGA players can do something that impressive

Posted by: The Truth | September 16, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

typos galore

"Skinc"..."Cots"?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow Jasno, based on that post I'd say you are ready to become the Blogger for the Arizona Cardinals team.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

enigmatic nads

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I hope the team/staff was watching last nights Dallas/Philly game. The defenses may leave a bit to be desired, but the offenses are very agressive. As long as they try to score TD's I'm happy.

Posted by: Skip in Va | September 16, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, imbeciles, don't pay attention to me. I'm just the only guy here that speaks honestly and openly about his team. I won't apoligize for not sugar coating it like everyone else. IF you cant stand my heat, leave the effin kitchen you posers

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

The Cardinals are cooked.

Jason Taylor will pwn everyone.

Posted by: Fakeman | September 16, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Peeing in the punch bowl is not the same thing as speaking honestly and openly.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I T A

Posted by: Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:27 AM | September 16, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

HECKLE ADVICE

Hey, if you're going to Catholic Univesity to heckle the Cardinals--can't believe Jasno missed the "Catholic"/Cardinal" pun opportunity--heckle them in LATIN!!!

"Isto pensitaris?"
(You get paid for this crap?)

"Vescere bracis meis."
(Eat my shorts.)

"Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!"
(May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy!)

and my personal fav:

"Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus."
(Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.)

Posted by: Julius Caesar | September 16, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Did they pick Catholic because their team is named the same, or because the stadium hold's the same number of people as they have fans out west?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Nothing "enigmatic" about them. They are who we think they are. All passing offense. Terrible running game. No defense to speak of (they put up some stats on D when they play with a lead).

Translation, if we move the ball, get touchdowns as often as field goals, and force them to run the ball, we will win.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 16, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

...Hit..them..

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If you want to be a real jerk you can go and throw bags of dope at Kurt Warner, he hates drugs, drinking and general open mindedness.

Oh and F-them for practicing closer to DC than the Skins do.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Last week it was "shut down Bush and Shockey." This week it is "shut down Boldin and Fitzgerald." A more difficult task, but the same concepts apply. Play tight coverage and pressure the QB into throwing before there can be separation downfield. Expect a lot of the nickel. I like our chances with Smoot, Springs, Rogers, Landry, and Horton on the field and Torrence and Doughty spelling them. I know Doughty will start but I bet Horton gets 50% or more of the snaps.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Mike, I agree. The key to this game will be to force them in to 2nd and long, and 3rd and long, force them into passing situations.

On offense, more of what they did last Sunday, and I think they'll be in good shape. I think that the Cards can be run on..

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Sports Guru, you so badly want Jason Campbell to fail that you can't take any positives from the win over the Saints?

You despise him so thoroughly, so blindly, that you can't celebrate a win in which he played a major role? Good grief, that is just an amazing way to be a fan.

You really do want the team to fail with Campbell at quarterback, so that your ongoing polemic is proven right, don't you? Don't you?

Effing troll... why do I bother...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

One think that the 49rs can do is run, how did Gore do against AZ?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Effing troll... why do I bother...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 11:49 AM

You bother because you care Nate. I consider myself to be in the "I want Colt to start someday" camp, but even I don't want the team to do bad for that to happen.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If Doughty starts, we'll struggle. If Hortong is in there, he may give up a but the overall grade will be better than Doughty's.

Posted by: mark | September 16, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

RSS feed order is all screwy again
This is the most current post.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

That's what kills me, Alex -- this obsession with denigrating Campbell conveniently elides the reality that the front office and coaching staff are committed to him, AND that he embodies our greatest opportunity to be consistently good as quickly as possible.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

+++Last week it was "shut down Bush and Shockey." This week it is "shut down Boldin and Fitzgerald." A more difficult task, but the same concepts apply. Play tight coverage and pressure the QB into throwing before there can be separation downfield. ...
Posted by: Mike H. | September 16, 2008 11:47 AM+++

Good points, Mike.

I think the 'skins D matches up well against the Cards. The Cards dont' have a power runner, which negates the impact of the skins lightweight DEs.

Also, they dont' protect the passer well, which plays to the skins DLine's advantage...

With LaRon healthy and back playing centerfield, that allows the DBs to play more press coverage and for LBs and Doughty/Horton to blitz more

The only fly in that ointment is that Warner is a wiley old vet who can pick apart the D.

Plus, FitzGerald and Boldin are big, fast receivers who can wear out and wear down the Redskin DBs as the game goes along.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"...this obsession with denigrating Campbell conveniently elides the reality that the front office and coaching staff are committed to him, AND that he embodies our greatest opportunity to be consistently good as quickly as possible."

the reality as I see it, of course... real reality may differ...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This certainly is not a guaranteed win, but the Cardinals have never started a season 3-0. It'll be a tough one to lose, but with the Skins you never know.

I will say it's nice knowing that your coach isn't going to reference this week's game with "Fighting Their Guts Out" and "The toughest game we've had yet" like Gibbs used to do....

Posted by: Tender Branson | September 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I agree
It would be nice to see another 66% completion, 300 yard game from Campbell, but I think it will be more important this week to get CP his first 25 carry, 100+ yard game of the year (and throw in another 80+ yards from Betts, Sellers, etc). The running game keeps Old Man Warner off the field.

On the Philly/Dallas game, I saw two very potent offenses, but two VERY average (and I think that's putting it nicely) defenses. If the Skins D plays Dallas or Philly like they played New Orleans, they aren't going to hang 30+ points on us, and I think we have a good chance of scoring 25 or more on them.

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"I hereby summon DC-area Skins fans to go mercilessly heckle the Cardinals during their practices at Catholic U. Heckle heckle heckle! That'll get 'em!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 11:21 AM"

youre really stupid arent you? first off you wont be able to get near the cards practice. second off, they wont be practicing here during this week, it will be after we play them. sheessh. and you wonder why people dont like you

Posted by: X-E | September 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

One think that the 49rs can do is run, how did Gore do against AZ?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 11:50 AM

Gore had 14 carries for 96 yards with a long of 41. Niners averaged 5.4 per rush but only scored 13 points.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

To me, the passing game is what needs to remain hot. I think everything is going to key off that. JC doesn't have to throw for 300 yards, but he's gotta maintain the high completion percentage, and he's gotta spread the ball around more. The more times teams see that Moss isn't the only weapon in the passing game, the better.

The better the passing game is going, the easier it will be to get the running game going.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

COWBOYS COULDN’T HAVE RECOVERED THE BALL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2008, 11:26 a.m.
Appearing on Tuesday’s Dan Patrick Show, NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira explained that the Dallas Cowboys could not have recovered the loose ball that receiver DeSean Jackson discarded as he was on the doorstep of the end zone during Monday night’s game.

The outcome, then, is the same as it was on Sunday between the Chargers and the Broncos. The ball was dead when it hit the ground.

The key is that, in Jackson’s case, the ruling is that he was throwing a backward pass. By rule, the review of the touchdown call resulted in the ball being down where it landed.

The point here, then, is that the officials screwed up as badly as Jackson. None of them noticed that Jackson had dropped the ball before he was in the end zone.

Moving forward, the question is whether the rule will change. Pereira explained that, when the down-by-contact rule was changed to permit efforts to recover a loose ball after the whistle, the owners considered applying the same rule to the Hochuli situation, where a fumble was ruled an incomplete pass. Pereira said that, because the ball will bounce more freely in such situations, a decision was made not to allow the action to continue after the whistle.

That’s fine, but unless and until the officials are trained to err on the side of not blowing the whistle, fairness requires a procedure that allows teams who have forced turnover to enjoy the benefit of their efforts.

Posted by: Mike Florio | September 16, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: X-E

-------------------

Lighten up Francis!

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Thank god I'm a Redskin!!

Posted by: The Truth | September 16, 2008 9:26 AM

What's your favorite dipping sauce, b/c soon you will be eating those words?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Does Kurt Warners wife still have hair shorter than most dudes?

Posted by: Question Guy | September 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Lets not take anything for granted. I recall last year Zona missed a 50 yard FG to lose the game in the last seconds. We need to continue to be strong on D and hope Campbell keeps progressing. Oh yeah, special teams need to get their head out of the sand.

Finally - fans at the stadium need to be MUCH LOUDER this Sunday than against the Saints.

Hail.

Posted by: SKINS RULE | September 16, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@ AJ: I definately agree regarding the defensive play last night.

Also, I agree with the posters above about the importance of getting CP the ball as much as feasible.

I don't watch much of Arizona's games (can't imagine many people do, but that's beside the point), so does anyone know what the Cardinal's O-Line looks like in pass blocking? Last years game doesn't seem like a great comparison as we didn't have J. Taylor on the D-line then and and the secondary isn't the same since S. Taylor is no longer with us (I still can't get over how upsetting that still is to type/say/think)?

Posted by: AppleScience | September 16, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I love being an adult and wearing a diaper.

Posted by: I Wear A Diaper | September 16, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Good catch, X-E, my mistake. How's this?

I hereby summon Phoenix-area Skins fans to go mercilessly heckle the Cardinals during their practices at wherever they practice. Heckle heckle heckle! That'll get 'em!

And I never wonder why people don't like me, since I already have a pretty good idea why.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Nate, not that it matters, but I got no problems with you....you're good in my book...

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God, typos on a blog! Set the place on fire, it's the end of the world!

Posted by: shekb | September 16, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I think your hugs sometimes cross the line of our just being friends.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Nate, not that it matters, but you're dumb in my book. You have no knowledge of what it takes to be a good NFL QUARTERBACK.

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Cards Adrian Wilson has some serious hops

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

SG, based on your spot on assessmet of Jason Campbell, I don't think your opinion bothers Nate that much.

Posted by: etrod | September 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

why dont you all lay off the internet and the deep-fried twinkies and try pleasuring your wife for once in your life.

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru, if disagreeing with you is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

And somehow you, SportsGuru of the RI blog, know...you just KNOW that Jason Campbell lacks the intelligence to be a good NFL QB, right? I mean, you're out there at the Park EVERY day, involved in practice, right? You sit in on ALL the team meetings, right? Wow...just wow dude. So glad we're privy to your amazing insight up here.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 16, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tender Branson | September 16, 2008 12:06 PM

What wrong with that now?

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:59 AM

I look for intelligence in my "Sports Gurus". I'd kill for a smart, well-thought remark from you.

Seriously, if elite QBs grew on trees, all 32 teams would have one and defenses would all be average. If you have a problem with JC, you'll have a problem with Colt and any other guy they put in there because the problem is the lack of stability in offense. Get a coach, get an offense and keep them together with the same QB for next 5+ years, and you'll be surprised how well things go.

But then again, that would require you to have common sense and the ability to reason...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

x-e * sports_guru = bags of tools

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tandler to da Post | September 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Get the F off JC's back. For anyone that wants Colt in there F off your an idiot. The redskins dont need an elite level QB to win history has shown that. JC is a good QB has potentail to be just as good or better then any of our Super Bowl winning QB's. Those saying he is not the right guy you are truly not a skins fan, you are the people that have been prepetuating DC's affliction with backup QBs. They are backups for a reason Jason won the job and is doing a fine job with it. Please stop rooting for the team if your gonna be a fing little slimy dbag constantly begging for another guy that cant even prove his worth against real college teams, the guy broke his hip in the only real competition he faced in his entire life.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RI Scouting Department | September 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

from PFT:

Eagles guard Shawn Andrews, who injured his back during Monday night’s game against the Cowboys, will have an MRI on Tuesday.

He also isn’t expected to practice on Wednesday as a result of the injury, which apparently happened at some point in the second quarter.

Andrews reportedly was seen struggling with simple physical tasks while the team was packing up its gear in preparation for the return to Philly.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

why are we feeding the trolls? didnt you read the sign?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 12:45 PM

Stu, let me finish the rest of your name based on your above statement:

Stu + pid = Stupid.

That was an absolutely stupid statement above.

Posted by: donj1963 | September 16, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I look for slight intelligence in my quaterbacks.

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:59 AM

Intelligence, meaning what? Like having zero turnovers in 63 pass attempts. Like picking apart defenses with greater than 60% pass completion. Like getting the ball in the hands of your top two WRs 23 times in two games? Like making progressive reads to hit 9 different receivers in one game? Like leading back-to-back lengthy drives for TDs when you're down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter? Like calling an audible to pickup a blitz and recognize a mismatch, leading to a 67-yard TD pass? Like having your coach trust you enough to put the ball in your hands on a 4th & 2 when you're up by only a score in the last 2 minutes of the game? Like that kind of intelligence?

Posted by: psps23 | September 16, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 11:59 AM

--------------

And you're probably going to vote for McCain too. Racist!

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

donj1963, thanks for pointing out why im so stu-pid, clever but i think its been done before.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Cards were practicing here this week as well and was half way to Michigan Ave.

Posted by: Nickels | September 16, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

why are we feeding the trolls? didnt you read the sign?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 12:47 PM
============================

Shut up, you're a poopyhead.

Posted by: Llort | September 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 12:33 PM

================

Actually, I prefer the deep-fried oreo's.

Posted by: Deep-Fried Lover | September 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RI Scouting Department Finds Bullentin Board Material | September 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Stu, read your statement. When I am done with work, I will take the time to respond to the fact that " another guy that cant even prove his worth against real college teams, the guy broke his hip in the only real competition he faced in his entire life." is completely false.

And apologies for the name calling. Just being stupid myself.

Posted by: donj1963 | September 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I T S G

Ignore the sports guru

this guy is a loser, he doesnt show his face the day after the game and then all of sudden he is the best QB scout in the world, he cant even stand by his opinion, how can we trust your assesment.

Stand up and be a MAN in you can.

Posted by: Great One | September 16, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Does it strike anyone else that this whole "Jason isn't smart enough to be a good QB" just smacks of racism?

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I know its a cliche but the Skins are a 1 game at a time club ... all focus on Cards ... who are beatable but pose problems ... we can worry about the cowpukes when they are next in our sights ...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 11:08 AM

Totally down with this post. Who knows whether, which, and how many Skins will come out of this next game in good health.

I wasn't aware that The Edge was sucking it up so badly on the ground. I don't trust that stat. I still think the man is a liability for the Skins and must be respected.

Not sure who said (I think it was King Card), but the key to this game is PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE on Warner. He is a methodical, reliable game manager with a sufficiently strong and very accurate arm ... but he crumbles under pressure. This week, more than the first two, is the most important game to have a great game out of Carter and Taylor, plus a collapsing of the pocket by the DTs.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Say Dan, what do you want to do toni'gt?"

"Same thing we do every night Vinny. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD, of washington sports media"

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

donj1963, thanks for pointing out why im so stupid, clever but i think its been done before.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 12:53 PM

"Its such a fine line between clever and ..."

"Stupid?"

"Yeah, stupid."

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 12:33 PM

No time for that. Pleasuring your wife is a daily chore.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually, her hair is much longer now and she is very pretty.
At least compared to her haircut from the marines she used to have.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Stand up and be a MAN in you can.

Posted by: Great One | September 16, 2008 12:58 PM
================

Your wife likes it when I'm a real "man" with her.

Posted by: A Real Man | September 16, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

How many expected Trent Edwards to be a better pro than Matt Leinert?? Hmm...

Posted by: beat kal | September 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM

No. But the fact that you super-sensitive crybabies who continuously bring it up sure does.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 12:22 PM

But I know why we like you. It was for picking up the tab for all that beer at the shabingus last Spring. Why don't you come back and do it again? We'll like you even more.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tandler to da Post | September 16, 2008 12:43 PM

This reminds me about Renaldo Wynn's line about how the losses are never as bad as they look and the wins are never as good as they look.

I believe I was called a "pollyanna" for calling out the tons of positives I saw in Week One. And, based on being at the game in Week Two, it sure FELT like the Skins were behind in points and unable to catch up the whole game ... but a win is a win, so I'll drink (plenty of cold water) to that!

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Geeze - step away for 20 min. & the blog goes to pot...

So, lem'me get this straight:

Bone density is how we're measuring quarterbacks now.

People don't like nate. I honestly did not know that...

And we're worried about 'Zone because of their performance against arguably the WORST D in the league?

..ok.. Not really sure what to say about all that except "You're all fired!"

ok... jabba on...

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will be 5-4 at the Bye Week.

Posted by: liferFan | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:04 PM

Who's crying taco? Philly fans said the same thing about McNabb back in the day. And there's a long tradition of assuming that black players wouldn't make good QBs. So I don't think it's a stretch to think there's a racial element. I don't see anyone saying Matt Leinart isn't smart enough to play the position, afterall. Just sayin´

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Obviously i was talking about the Georgia game, nuff said on that the guy couldnt do sh*t. So lets take a look back, major wins ohh ahh Washinton , hey he won some against fresno state and oh wait couldnt beat Boise state too bad, barley squeked ojne out vs Louisinan tech, man hes played some power houses. He lost to Alabama he lost to Oregon State, biggest win might be against Arizona state, looks self explaintory to me. Wait lets go further back hes called June Jones the guy before Colt broke the same records and aint doin SH*T now, Jones is the singular reason he in the NFL. Wanna go further back when he gopt kicked outta Colorado for Rapping a girl he played at SADDLEBACK COLLEGE. nuff said he has poroven nothing.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Stu's momma is so fat, she has more chins than a Chinese phonebook.

Posted by: Guy McGuyguy | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

shoulda read: "Zona"

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if the rest of you regulars (dc, Nate, CL, Alex, 4th and anybody I neglected to metion) noticed it, but it seemed to me that Jasno is implying that with the Jets "looming" that there might be a possiblity that the Cards are looking past us? Did I read that wrong? Is it possible for the Jets to "loom" over anyone yet? I know Farve is The Second Coming and Our Lord and personal Saviour, but this is silly.

As for the A** Clowns like the supposed "Guru", I could really care less about your worthless observations.

In case you hadn't noticed, Nate is the one of the few guys on this blog that doesn't normally respond with malice to ignorance.

So back the F off. I've been relegated to the ranks of lurker by Bells Palsey, so you know I mean it when I say it.

The real "Guru" of this blog is one dcsween. I know because I studied at his dojo/ashram.

Posted by: Larry Bud | September 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM

I would not say that, but I do remember seeing a picture of a white supremacist rally where one guy was holding a sign saying Jason Campbell sux. I made fun of him and he tried to throw something at me and missed by 50 feet, which was sad I was standing 10 feet away.

I do remember someone at one point saying that they did not like JC because he was a black QB and bla bla bla. Now that struck me as racist.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that peeps who write that JC is not intelligent enough to be a good QB are necessarily racist, just bad judges of football (or lacking in vocabulary to describe what they think they're seeing).

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to be QB in the NFL. "Intelligence" is not the standard against which the keys to success at QB -- the mental aspect of it -- should be judged.

To get the job done mentally, the QB has to (1) know the playbook, (2) recognize defenses, (3) react quickly and adjust as necessary, and (4) TRUST the playbook.

By my watch of Jason Campbell's performance over five preseason and two regular season games, I don't think the first three are going to be a problem at all. What I saw against the Saints makes me think that #4 is something he's going to be able to get to as well. I do think, however, that Zorn adjusted his play-calling as well to meet Jason halfway ... and that, in exchange for Jason trusting the playbook more, Zorn is trusting Jason more.

Zorn is a different type of dude. For as long as he remains head coach, I think he will always be, first and foremost, a QB coach. Its what he's done longer than anything else on his resume. Hiring Zorn was a good move, the right move at the right time.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I could really care less about your worthless observations.

Posted by: Larry Bud | September 16, 2008 1:14 PM
---------------------------

Actually poopface, the correct saying is:

could NOT care less.

Unless there are things you could care less about than your statement.

Good gravy.

Posted by: Get It Right | September 16, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Accusing 'Skins fans of not liking black quarterbacks is kinda silly. I don't know one Skins fan who doesn't love Doug Williams.

I would recommend asking your suspected racist skins fan if he/she liked Williams. If it comes back 'yes' - you need to lighten up. If it comes back: 'no', well, you've already pre-judged them correctly - good for you.

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will be 5-4 at the Bye Week.

Posted by: liferFan | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM

Your a lifer? Have you met Prison Balls and Greg? I think they are both up for parole soon.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:16 PM
***********************8

For real, just look at Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, or Jeff George.

Posted by: For Real | September 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Lowest: Brock Berlin 13 (U of Miami)
Highest: Ryan Fitzpatrick 38(Harvard)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Actually poopface, the correct saying is:

could NOT care less.

Unless there are things you could care less about than your statement.

Good gravy.

Posted by: Get It Right | September 16, 2008 1:16 PM

Well, Snivelling Coward, given that I responded at all should indicate that I COULD care less.

I blog because I care. Never forget that.

Posted by: Larry Bud | September 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Steinz reports that Cooley jerseys are now in the top 25 overall among NFL sales:

Posted by: Cindy | September 16, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I blog because I care. Never forget that.

Posted by: Larry Bud | September 16, 2008 1:21 PM

-----------------

No, you blog because you don't like your job so you figure you'd waste your companies time instead.

You blog because your wife is about 20 pounds overweight, and you, being about 30 pounds overweight, aren't attractive to her anymore.

Boo-Yah.

Posted by: Shut Your Pie Hole | September 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The "intelligent" guys in the NFL are the offensive linemen ... these are the ones who go to law school after their football careers. Also, punters tend to be smart guys too. Though I don't think either of those positions requires more than the knowledge of how to parallel park uphill.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

On NFL.com, there is a stat called QH- quarterback hit. Does anyone know if that includes being hit after letting go of the ball or just while he has the ball? Is there anywhere that keeps up with "hurries"?

I guess I'm trying to see if there is a more comprehensive way to see how much pressure a defense got on the QB besides just sacks.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Fuzzy Zoeller | September 16, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm not authority on racism, but liking Doug Williams doesn't mean someone isn't racist. (Does anyone remember the whole "good negros" / "bad negroes" from the 50's and 60's?). Just askin why a black QB gets very little time to show his stuff while a white QB with lesser skills is thought of as the second coming? Not necessarily racist, but who knows.

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I dont like Fuzzy Zoeller, or America for that matter.

Posted by: Rev. Wright | September 16, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

My boy Fitzpatrick is wicked smart.

"JC's wonderlic of 28 was above average for the QB class the year he was drafted.

Lowest: Brock Berlin 13 (U of Miami)
Highest: Ryan Fitzpatrick 38(Harvard)"

Posted by: Casey Affleck | September 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 1:25 PM
--------------------

Posted by: Um.... | September 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:17 PM

Liking Doug Williams provides no evidence as to whether or not a person is prejudiced against black athletes.

If you like Williams now, it will be because he won a Super Bowl (more than likely). That's post-judging, i.e. rational thought. Pre-judging (the factor in which prejudices are based on) is not the same thing. The more revealing question would be "did you like Doug Williams before the 1987 season"?

Posted by: el diablo | September 16, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM

I guess you need to give me a list of "real' college fb teams so that I can respond as you have already made up your mind that any win or game stats against those teams mean nothing.

And, there were no rape charges...

Posted by: donj1963 | September 16, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason should not beat Arizona like a prostitute.

No offense to any prostitutes here

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

... white QB with lesser skills is thought of as the second coming?

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 1:25 PM

Because fans in Arizona (Leinart) and Cleveland (Quinn) are so desperate for any glimmer of hope that they're willing to mortgage their hopes and dreams on these types of losers?

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

+++I do think, however, that Zorn adjusted his play-calling as well to meet Jason halfway ... and that, in exchange for Jason trusting the playbook more, Zorn is trusting Jason more.+++

Sween, sure looked that way to me. Zorn's WCO didn't look like a WCO to me.

I'm not ready to say Zorn is a good coach, still too much is unknown about him. But he dealt with the issues from week 1 and the team improved greatly in many areas for week 2. Making those adjustments is essential to being a good coach.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Here is a link showing the Wunderlich scores for QBs going back many years.

Interesting that Marino scored a 14 back in 1983. And, how about my man Oscar Davenport scoring a 6 back in 1999...thank god his career worked out despite the poor score.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

No offense to any prostitutes here

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:29 PM

Especially your mom. Because without her turning tricks on the street you wouldn't be here today.

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, because 'Skins fans were so patient with Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel.

Posted by: Um...."

[holding my hands over my ears and closing my eyes] "happy place, happy place...."

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

... white QB with lesser skills is thought of as the second coming?

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 1:25 PM

I can only speak as a Skins fan, but we regard every quarterback we draft or bring in as the second coming

i.e. Heath Shuler, Jeff George, Danny Wuerful, etc.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

He got kicked off the team for it, wait the QB for CU football team didnt get convicted you mean, that program was going through a sh*t storm unseen before in CFB. Got drunk forced himself into a girls room unwantedly exposed himself and began groppin her, he spent a week in jail for it. Good wins in college are against real confrences the WAC while being much imporved is not yet a power confrence. Can you point to an example of him beating a quality opponent, or are u gonna talk about how San Jose States pass rush is second to none.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 1:32 PM

not good...

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

*** caution: FF post ***

Luckily for me I don't have any Ravens or Texans in my starting lineup, I wouldn't have known about the bye in time to make a change.

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 12:33 AM

He only says this because the team he beat (dcsween's Hamstweengs) had to set his starting lineup, including Baltimore's D, before the league moved the game from Monday night to something like Week 12. And EVERYBODY with ANY sense about football could see that Baltimore's D was going to score AT LEAST 47 points against the Texans. Kost's victory on this one therefore bears an asterisk. Kost = RI FF (v.1) Belichek.

*** End FF post ***

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

i.e. Heath Shuler, Jeff George, Danny Wuerful, etc.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:33 PM

You forgot Colt Brennan

Posted by: psps23 | September 16, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I didnt forget, I just didnt want to go there and jinx it. But yeah youre right.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

No offense to any prostitutes here

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 1:29 PM

We'll let it go this time, but in the future, the preferred nomenclature is hooker, harlot, or strumpet. We prefer to avoid being confused with attorneys.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I HATE the Lower 48

Posted by: Sarah Palin | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I have a small "head."

Posted by: C. Cooley | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:35 PM

Was that girl your sister? You seem to have some big time hate for Colt Brennan. Can't be just because some folks on here are not too high on JC. Nor does it seem reasonable because some are calling on Colt to play. Seems much deeper than that.

Posted by: Another Anon | September 16, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Can you explain Timmy Chang putting up similar numbers to Colts maybe we shoulda drafted him. Jones was running an all pass system there. Do you have any exaples of him winning against teams with a decent RPI.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of Colt, and the oncoming worship, I do agree that in those 4th quarters of the preseason games, he did look like one of the few guys who was having fun.

The other guy who looked like he was having fun in the preseason games (game?) was Alfred Fitcher. On KO team coverage, that guy is a spark plug. I kept my eye on him during kick offs (mostly b/c I didn't recognize the number ... #51) and the collision that guy makes on first contact. I like Fitcher. The guy is a fire plug.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Nob,

Ok, that's just mean. Your intimations are insulting. If you're stuck in the 50's & 60's era racism - you're not alone. But I don't know if many here are there with you. I'm not.

And in the world I see, it is that simple. You either like someone or you don't. You don't base it on race or culture - you base it on friendship, love & support.

And why would I need to like Doug Williams as a Redskin Quarterback if he never won anything. That's just silly. That's what we're talking about here. Success at quarterback. Now if you're asking me if I liked him more than Schroeder at the time? Abso-frekkin'-lutely. But that's not the point.

I like Colt because he does different things better than the other two. Intrinsic, natural ball playing.

I am not denigrating (sp??) Soup. I like Soup. I'll eat me a bowl of Soup IF HE DOES WELL. But that's no reason to crap on someone who shows good promise to be a starter in the future.

Idiocy.

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

AS explained earlier i hate the DC affliction with backup QB's. I stated that he is not an NFL QB, right now could be in the future i dont care to know right now JC is playing fine. Have nothing against him I like his intensity and desire but please dont tell me that he should start for my skins. Anon since i imagine you didnt go to college that sort of intursion is frowned upon at most institutions that is why it is being brought up.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Spelling correction ... Fincher.

Call all necks: http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/Alfred_Fincher.jsp

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm from a small town which means I can relate to other small town folks and also means I'm qualified enough to be Vice Pres.

I'm hot too, so that helps.

Posted by: Sarah Palin | September 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Landry,

You're needed on the sidelines about 25 yards downfield to remove a bird ensigna from a receiver's helmet. Just take you're pick the rich one or the disgruntled one.

Mr. Owens will require more substantial work the following week, but you might as well prepare him for the procedure. Get him ready for a snot soaked face mask on the first lob deep. You know the one sent up just for Jessica.

Hail.

Posted by: Me So Zorny | September 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

+++Sorry I look for slight intelligence in my quaterbacks. I'd kill for a good QB. We have okay talent everywhere but WE NEED A TOP LEVEL QUATERBACK IN A QUARTERBACK DRIVEN LEAGUE--SPORTS GURU++

You spell "Quarterback" wrong two out of three times, and you demand "slight intelligence" from someone? Good thing no one demands "slight intelligence" from posters.

And by the way, it's a FRONT OFFICE driven league. It requires more than "slight intelligence" in the FO to FIND a franchise QB and surround him with weapons.

This is why NE, Dallas, NYG, and Pittsburgh, to name four, remain among the elite teams in the NFL, and why Washington, Arizona, Duh Raiders, and Detroit do NOT.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Can you explain Timmy Chang putting up similar numbers to Colts maybe we shoulda drafted him. Jones was running an all pass system there. Do you have any examples of him winning against teams with a decent RPI.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:40 PM

Look, Zorn said he played golf with Colt in Hawaii over the last three summers. He drafted Colt. I will take his evaluation over yours any day of the week and twice on Sundays. He may know something about this kid we do not.

You have not heard me say he should start, but your asinine statement above was just that.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Scroll down to the box called "Promotions" on the right hand side, second or third from the bottom to vote for "[insert] of the Week".

Portis is up for FedEx offensive player of the week.

Zorn is up for Motorola coach of the week.

Horton is up for Diet Pepsi rookie of the week.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Cork - we've won more games than dallas in the playoffs since '96.

So, how bout a nice big cup of "Shut the SJK uuup"?

...maps...

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If I can see The Russian Embassy from my house, does that make me a foreign policy expert like Sarah Palin, too?

Posted by: Any DC Resident | September 16, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Idiocy.

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:43 PM

Great advice. All JC haters should take note.

Posted by: psps23 | September 16, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

+++Peeing in the punch bowl is not the same thing as speaking honestly and openly.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 16, 2008 11:32 AM+++

NOW, you tell me, Cload?

The gallon of complimentary Koolaide I sent you? DON'T DRINK IT!

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:44 PM

Well, that is a lot different than saying he raped her. What he did was wrong. What he didn't do is what you said.

Posted by: Another Anon | September 16, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

yall are killin me here anyone have an answer to the questions i posed, give me a compelling Colt brennan preformance.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love being an adult and wearing a diaper.

Posted by: I Wear A Diaper | September 16, 2008 12:22 PM

ME TOO!!!

Posted by: Grampy McSame | September 16, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Stu, Not sure I can convince you on Colts college playing against real college teams. Will just have to agree to diagree on Colt being better then the Georgia game.

Posted by: donj1963 | September 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

This place went to hades....

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

so I'll drink (plenty of cold water) to that!

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 1:05 PM

No one should stand between sween and the men's room this afternoon.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

B/c it's a lazy Tuesday, I'll throw this out for discussion: who thinks JC could have kept up with either team in that great shootout last night?

Posted by: What? Who? | September 16, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This, to me, is just crazy talk.

SHOULD COOLEY BE FINED BY THE ‘SKINS?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2008, 1:31 p.m. EDT
After digesting the comments of Redskins coach Jim Zorn regarding the decision of tight end Chris Cooley to take a picture of a page of the team’s playbook and post it on the Internet, a thought occurred to us.

Should the Redskins fine Cooley?

Under Article VIII of the CBA, a player may be fined up to $8,000 for “[l]oss of all or part of playbook, scouting report or game plan.”

But Cooley didn’t lose anything, and the relevant portion of the CBA doesn’t seem to encompass the intentional disclosure of the playbook to persons outside the organization. As a result, we think that it Cooley’s actions could trigger an even greater penalty.

As we see it, a strong case could be made for a finding that the deliberate display of a playbook to, you know, the entire world constitutes conduct detrimental to the team.

Under the CBA, a player who engages in conduct detrimental to the team can be suspended without pay for up to four games. Though we don’t think that Cooley should be suspended, we wonder whether the Redskins will impose a stiff fine (perhaps in the form of a game check) on their starting tight end.

What do you think about this one, PFT Planet? Should the ‘Skins fine Cooley? If so, what should the penalty be?

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the idiots who somehow think that COLT BRENNAN is in any state ready to be the starting QB of any NFL Team.....PUH-LEASE!!!

They are also probably the people that believed Greg Williams should have stayed.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | September 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: What? Who? | September 16, 2008 1:56 PM

Me. He did the same at Dallas last year when TO torched us for 4 TDs. Unfortunately, he made a similar mental mistake late in the game that McNabb made, and it ended up costing both of them.

Posted by: psps23 | September 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

...and this is after a win....
Thank god we won.

For the record, I don't like Jason Campbell either. He rarely looks comfortable, never looks confident, and he does not come across like a leader during the interviews I have seen.

The race card some of you bring up is funny. White people probably comprise less than 30% of all athletes in major professional team sports with the exception of hockey and most of those guys are Canadian or Communists. (joke)

That's why NASCAR is the official sport of most racists.... (joke, sort of?)

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I too had a Bmore guy on my fantasy tem....

Bummer...

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | September 16, 2008 1:59 PM

Wrong. I believe Gregg should have stayed. I don't think Colt is anywhere near ready. Your theory has been disproven.

Posted by: psps23 | September 16, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

quick show of hands...how many of the JC bashers actually watched the entire game Sunday?

Posted by: anon | September 16, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the question initially, Stu, but how about ALL PRESEASON.

Every one of his performances I saw (3) was packed with promise. I assume the other two were as well by how people reacted, including Madden, Michaels, Sam & Sonny, et al...

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

i was all about some greg Williams.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Rather odd, this post by JLC. Last year you beat Miami and you all felt good about it. We beat the team and you say it's nobody. Fact is, just like you, we play whoever's put before us on the schedule. We don't get to pick and choose our opponents.

You don't have to look any farther than your own backyard if you want to talk enigmatic. Your past several years have been either dirt poor or up one week, down the next. Your premier running back said such in a wide-ranging interview last week. We have a poor history, that I grant you. But your franchise has long since forgotten what a winner even feels like. I don't think any of you can honestly say with any degree of certainty that what your team did last week will carry over to this week. Too many times in the past you've been treated to a good win followed by a dog of a performance. So JLC should remove the plank in his own eye before point out the sliver in ours.

Posted by: King Card | September 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I think he should get fined by the team. I know the whole, "let your freak flag fly" crowd will disagree, but to me it was wrong of him to expose the team playbook, no matter what manner it was. Zorn needs to focus his attention on game planning and doesn't need this type of garbage to worry about.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Stu,
What about his pre-season play. It was against 2nd and 3rd stringers but he showed some promise.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon

Hey anon, I don't think many people bashed JC after the Saints game, he played great.

I have seen enough JC games to register my opinion and that is that I don't think he is the QB that will lead the Skins to the promised land.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And if you have a problem with that joke then you need serious help getting that Bagger out of your @$$...

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 1:15 PM+++

I don't have a problem with that "joke," but you do. It's confusing and wordy. Is it "pro-Jason or anti-Jason? Hard to tell.

This is better:

Jason Campbell saw a guy with sign: "Jason Campbell sucks." He threw a rock at him and missed by fifty feet.

Short. Clear. Pithy. Be sure to submit some moe material when you have a sense of humor.

Posted by: Milton Berle | September 16, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Madden himself pointed out why he wont see an NFL field for at least 2 years when he threw one of the ugliest passes know to man, not the spiral or pass it self but his form on the throw. Madden said Zorn would never let a guy thats gonna throw with that form on the field.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

----but to me it was wrong of him to expose the team playbook, no matter what manner it was.---

He said "expose"

Posted by: Ironic | September 16, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Greg it wasn't the playbook, or are you lying to forward your agenda? I kid I kid......so yeah fine the guy a bit...whateves...P diddy said best media is changing so bosses act accordingly...

bottom line is Cooley rules, his blog rules, its great for the fans, its funny and fresh and its fun to root for guys like Portis and Cooley who dont talk coach speak all the time and have a personality....its what we all loved about the glory years right, Riggo the Hogs, Fun bunch....not to mention Cooley backs it up on the field (hello 2nd and 22 in 4th quarter in our own end...)

Let your freak flag fly, thats what america is all about gawd darnit!!!!!!

F the No Fun League!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

beep it forward

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Nob,

Idiocy.

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 1:43 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post. I'll try harder.

I wasn't around in the 50s or 60s but I'm well read enough to know that there were many whites (especially in the south) who suggested there were "good negroes" and "bad negroes" and that making such distinctions didn't make them racist. (For reference, when someone puts something in quotes like that, it's usually a sign that they're referencing someone ELSE's argument.)

Not saying that's what's happening here. Hell, I don't know. I've been living out of the country for the last 5 years (now in Colombia) and it's pretty damn hard to get the real pulse of the skins when you're time zones or cultures apart. I'm just saying, some of the comments I've seen here and other places *remind* me of things that I've heard or read about - i.e. racially based judgements or racially motivated predispositions against black quarterbacks.

I mean, come on folks, we're only 20 years into the black quarterback era and there are still people who seem to think that blacks don't make good QBs (hello Rush Limbaugh).

My point: making claims that Jason Campbell isn't "smart enough" to be an NFL QB sure sounds a lot like the stuff that the good ole boys used to say (and still say) about black QBs in general and surely ties in with other racial stereotypes that I'm sure I don't need to go into.

That being said - I just don't see the appeal with Colt (aside from his name). He's a gambler with poor fundamentals who is *years* away from being ready. Do you really think he could have made the plays that Jason made last Sunday? If you say yes, then you now know why you're not coaching above the Peewee level.

Posted by: Nobcentral | September 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I would like to invite Kurt Warner to a Bible Study and right before we turn into the church parking lot I suddenly veer into a lake.

Posted by: POOP | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse