Gibbs addresses those Redskins rumors

Joe Gibbs addressed those rumors about a return to football at a NASCAR race Sunday in Martinsville, Va.

He laughed, according to the Associated Press report, when he was asked at Martinsville Speedway about rumors and Internet reports that he could return to the team as an adviser or general manager.

"That's what it is. Talk," he said. "Right here's where I'm GMing."

Gibbs disputed the idea that coaching the Redskins is made tougher by management.

"When I was there last go-round, we had somebody that was a passionate owner, cared about things and supported me in every way," he said. "I think any NFL team, it's tough when you're not winning, and those things are easy to get off. All you've got to do is look around this year and Tennessee and some of the other teams are struggling that were real good last year."

As for NFL teams' fortunes and fan impatience, he said: "It's easy to get 'em off and I think it takes a while to get them straightened out. Hopefully we get it going there [in Washington]. I think it's pro sports. The fans are passionate and they want a winner, but I think that's part of pro sports."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 25, 2009; 2:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: So far, so good on play-calling relays
Next: Zorn describes his sideline role

Comments

1st

Posted by: slckposter | October 25, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Campbell get killed on both pregame shows? Fox showed him not throwing to open receivers downfield and checking down time and time again, while Casserly said he should be benched.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | October 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

So I'm wondering, IF the Skins pick a QB in round 1 next Spring (and that certainly may happen, whether it makes sense or not, esp with the alleged level of QB talent coming out this year), how will/can we re-build the O-line in the same offseason, if possible? Assuming we have high draft picks, as least our # 2 could be a strong OT prospect, but we need much more than one guy... Where can I find a list of "end of 2009 season UFA" OL guys online? Anyone? Bueller?

Posted by: chasgiffen

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 25, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I submit that Joe Gibbs was not subject to the same petty bullcrap and constant second-guessing that has plagued every other Snyder-hired coach.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 25, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I want JC to just wing that ball around there Monday.. I dont care if he has 5 INT's... As long as he aint dumping it down to betts every freaking play....

Posted by: cocodc1 | October 25, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Dan needs another "father he never had" type, or he'll continue to meddle.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 25, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MylesMonroe

But Campbell thinks he's doing a fantastic job...

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"...Fox showed him not throwing to open receivers downfield..." - MylesMonroe

That's funny. I showed a video earlier this week of why Kyle Orton is better than Jason Campbell and a few JC17 apologists told me our wide receivers aren't getting open. Huh.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

wow great play ryan clark.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 3:08 PM |

Yea, that's frickin' hilarious. Our QB sucks and so does our whole offense but thank God you were right about it. Ha ha ha, tell me another one you a$$.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Missing wide open receivers? no way, no JC.

By the way, wasn't Gibbs the genius who trade to get JC? I say lets bring him back = we need more clowns on the circus.

Posted by: opita1 | October 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Trade Laron Landry for Brady Quin, and use our first round pick for a good tackle-two birds with one stone!!!!! Go redskins!!!!!!!

Posted by: lamarlamarwash | October 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

No more Gibbs!!! No more HOGS!! No more Beathard!!

PLS OH PLS...dont hire ANY of them.

Their time has come and gone...they did more then well..The Skins aren't gonna get better with re-tread old men.

FIRE BUGES, too!!!

Its time to hire a REAL GM and let him pick the rest....

Skins fans NEED to stop livin in the past. It's time to find some new blood that is NOT associated with the Skins NOW.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | October 25, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Its time to hire a REAL GM and let him pick the rest....

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | October 25, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________

Exactly...

Posted by: tony325 | October 25, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

If I were Joe Gibbs I wouldn't work for the Redskins under any capacity until Snyder is no longer the owner.

Posted by: gitouttahere | October 25, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

someone said wasn't it Gibbs who traded for Campbell and yeah that's true but Gibbs wanted JC17 to run a Joe Gibbs style offense not this WC crap, Im telling you if Greg Williams was hired that year as HC and he kept Al Saunders around JC17 would be a much better QB bcause Saunders had a hand in drafting Campbell also... Lets face a WC offense needs 3 things to be a success thats an all around RB, a QB who fits the Offense and an O-Line to hold blocks long enough for WR to get open and we have none of those.... with that said I'm still a JC17 fan

Posted by: robbkels | October 26, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robbkels

Exactly...F the WCO.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 26, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

jc17 would still suck then gibbs would bring in an antique qb and overpay him.

Posted by: rls1041 | October 26, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Just did a little research... we picked Devin Thomas AND Fred Davis before Philly took DeSean Jackson. If that's not a black eye on Vinny Cerrato I don't know what is.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | October 27, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse