Gibbs on Campbell and Being an NFL QB

Dan Steinberg paid attention as former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs appeared on the debut of Mike Wise's show on WJFK. Some of the best stuff concerned the quarterback he drafted, Jason Campbell.

"The quarterbacks that we've been fortunate enough to be with the years that I coached, they went through some tough times, believe me, all of them did....Theismann, at one point we benched Joe....Mark Rypien got benched mainly for turning the ball over....Doug Williams came in really as a backup, he'd been through a lot of things in Tampa, went to the USFL, got bounced around, got criticized for a lot of things....
"So my point with quarterbacks, and what I kind of tell them is this, I said, 'Look, if you can't handle pressure situations, if you can't handle all the attention you're gonna get...Particularly playing in Washington, D.C, it's a huge deal, you're gonna be put through a lot, and if you're the kind of guy that's got a temperament that those kind of things are gonna bother you, then chances are you're not the kind of quarterback that's gonna take a big-time NFL team down the field late in the game in a hailstorm to win.' It's just not gonna happen.
"At times you're gonna get booed and kicked around, but if you have the right kind of temperament, at the end you're gonna win out as a quarterback, and if not, you probably weren't made to play quarterback in the NFL."

By Cindy Boren  |  July 20, 2009; 2:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Morning Reading Room
Next: Greet Gibbs ... and the Tuesday Reading Room

Comments

Good point by ol man gibbs

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs doesn't eat fried mushrooms, either.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

While i have heard Gibbs say this countless times before, almost verbatim, I think it still rings true. There are any number of guys that have enough ability (JC being one of them) but few have the combination ability/mentality/temperament. I don't think we know if JC has that combination or not quite yet. That said, we should find out this year.

Posted by: amaranthpa | July 20, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

In and Out sounds pretty disgusting. In the South , Cookout is the best fastfood burger by far.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Fatburger's better. Best burgers I ever had were at Yusko's Tavern, New Brunswick NJ. It's gone now. Sigh.

The best thing about "In and Out Burger" is a lot of people out here got their bumperstickers, and cut off the "B" and the "r" before putting them on their cars.

Posted by: TheCork | July 20, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Curiously, he didn't say which temperment JC possessed.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

From back in the day...

Roy Rogers stared selling fried chicken under the Pappy Parker's moniker and it was good

Double R Bar burger was awesome

Hamburger Hamlet over by Montgomery mall was the place for burger variety. They have like a 100+ different burger combinations, don't know if they are still there

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I think we should get Mike Williams' opinion on the best burger ever. He has tried them all.....twice

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

There is a Hamburger Hamlet in Gaithersburg by that Rio Center - quality has declined slightly over the years, but still pretty good (I know - that's where we would go to eat with Mama JohnD when I took the kids to visit)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 20, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"and if you're the kind of guy that's got a temperament that those kind of things are gonna bother you"

Gibbs didn't say it, but if any of the indications coming from the coaching staff rings true (i.e. Campbell coming out and working hard, not missing a beat in terms of dedication and offseason training, tuning out the outside world, etc.) then it's hard to argue that Campbell isn't exemplifying what Gibbs was trying to describe in his successful QBs.

But it's clear Gibbs was taking a "wait and see" approach with that answer.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Josh Heytvelt? Are you posting under Sween's name?

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 2:40 PM

I am not and never have been that person ... though I do have an unexplainable urge to buy a vowel.

I believe there is reason that The Wise and Good Cindy posted this particular quote ... that he drafted our QB for his poise under pressure ... see Campbell, Jason ... don't see Romo, Tony.

Yet another point of agreement btwn St. Joe of the Sacred Cackle and dcsween.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"His mind...is ahead...of what the defense is"

~Namath to Suzy C...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | July 20, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Wait-and-see, schmait-and-see. Gibbs' timing about poise under pressure comes in the context of an offseason when The Owner and EVP barely hid their jilted love affairs with Cutler, then Mark Sanchez ... and the solid coolness displayed by our noble QB, Jason the Medium Stayer.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs has a long history of talking in broad lines* ... and its not that hard to read between them.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

But it's clear Gibbs was taking a "wait and see" approach with that answer.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 2:48 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"The quarterbacks that we've been fortunate enough to be with the years that I coached, they went through some tough times, believe me, all of them did ... Theismann ... Mark Rypien ... Doug Williams ..."

A dickload of Skins QBs since then have been through "tough times". Unfortunately none on them panned out. We have gone from tough times being an incubator of achievers to tough times being an incubator of duds.

" ... the kind of quarterback that's gonna take a big-time NFL team down the field late in the game in a hailstorm to win."

This is what Campbell has to aspire to. So far there haven't been many signs that he is on track to do this but he has a season in front of him to pull it off.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Note to Cindy ... the hyperlink doesn't go to Steinbog. It goes to some different Dan and it has nothing about the Wise show.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"It sounded to me as if he was saying either you have it (proper temperment) or you don't.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

I think he was saying you can only tell when the player actually responds to such criticisms. You can't tell whether a player has it until he gets put to the test.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

i'd prefer a quarterback who controls the clock and throws a TD every series.

then you don't need him to take his team down the field late in the game. you need him to have a strong kneeling knee.

love joe gibbs, without question. but why must every game be decided in the last couple of plays?!?

Posted by: moo21 | July 20, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

How about that Jay Cutler, you probably weren't made to play...........

Posted by: abxinc | July 20, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The link is fixed...thanks, Sween!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 20, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

So, he is telling JC17 to suck it up or else he won't be making any real money??

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Has ANY NFL quarterback taken a team down field 80 yards to score the winning touchdown in the midst of a HAIL storm? Ever?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 20, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shannahan, come on down. As the Redskins struggle this season, Shannahan will be brought in as a consultant. The job will become permanent head coach when the season ends with the Skins missing the playoffs.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 20, 2009 10:25 AM |

There are a few reason why this won't happen:

1. The Skins having a mediocre season won't be grounds for giving Zorn the heave ho. The way Campbell has been demonized and the OL has been bad mouthed, not too many are expecting anything big (like making the playoffs) from them this season.

2. Snyder and Ceratto have been making good personnel moves lately and it has them stoked. If they bring in Shanana or some other high profile HC they would have to stand back from all the fun they have had and let him run the show. Not gonna happen.

3. Zorn lets Snyder and Ceratto meddle and doesn't seem to have any apparent problems with it. How many so called A-list coaches (think Cowher, Gruden, et.) would be okay with that kind of arrangement?

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I like a QB who wins games. Period.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

LGB, If I am to believe what I read from RI posters the Skins are expected to make the playoffs. All of their division foes are so flawed that the Skins are going to win the NFC East by default.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"i'd prefer a quarterback who controls the clock and throws a TD every series."
-----------------------------------------
Wouldn't that be like 8-10 TD passes a game? Not even Peyton Manning does that

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

LaVar being a Homer for JC, understandably....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 20, 2009 3:18 PM |

You are too literal-minded. It doesn't have to be a blinding hailstorm. But it has to be analogous to the way Roeth rallied the Steelers in the SB. Maybe not as dramatic but you get the idea. Lead your team on a long drive at the end of an important game to score a win.

"With the Skins trailing Dallas 10-7 late in the 4th quarter, Campbell leads them on a long TD drive to win the game."

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I remember a recent hailstorm we got out of........

Midnight Miracale @ Dallas. MNF. Big D's 3 getting inducted in the HOF.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

4th, I get it. But you all are dismissing the intangibles - head coach, QB, winning tradition/attitude which breeds success, etc.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

LaVar - The REdskins using the same ploy to get JC out that they used to get him out......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

nah, it has nothing to do with winning by default, but has everything to do with just simply being confident in the 'skins.

i'm not crowning them, but i'm not burying them either. not before they play a friggin' snap

season starts in September, it's still July... believe!

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Michael Vick was finally released today, one surprising view of his walk outside of the court house is, there are no protest from any member of animal right. This could imply forgiveness from the group.

Posted by: abxinc | July 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

LaVar has been on a excelent Rant slammed Gregg Williams. Called him "Boy Geanus" a bunch of times and totally ripped his "scheme"

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What I have noticed about the NFC East post Phhilly's 4 straight NFC Title game run, is what is predicted at the begining is never true at the end. And this preseason concensus amongst the leading prognasticators, is that Philly will be the Beast.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

4th, what - by making him play entirely out of position, getting injured and generally beginning to suck?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I go into every season thinking we will win the superbowl. The friggin Arizona Cardinals got to the big game last year, anything is possible.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

LittleGreenBag,
I think at the end of the season the fans will be saying Zorn is not the answer. At the end of last season, a few fans were saying that, especially after that stinker of a game against the Ravens. Plus, I have read a few comments from Snyder and Cerrato. They already have a rapport with Shanahan. In fact, I remember reading that Vinny talked to Shanahan before the team signed Anthony Aldridge. I am sure they talked to Shanahan when Cutler was on the block.

I would love to see Zorn and crew prove me wrong, but I have a feeling this is Zorn's last season with the Redskins. When Zorn goes, so does Campbell, and next year we will be looking at a new coach and a new QB, which may be the perfect situation for Shanahan.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Article by Michael Lombardi. In a nutshell he lays out why he thinks Shanahan will be the next Redskins coach.

Posted by: TWISI | July 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:17 PM

Could be saying that ... or could be saying, "Look, I picked up Theismann, Rypien, and Williams ... and they turned out OK. Trust me on the other guy I picked ... and pay no attention to the QBs picked by someone else other than me between my 1.0 and my 2.0."

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, that is the point that Gibbs is making, a Steeler like drive at the end of a Super Bowl is what JC should aspire to. However, I still want to know where the HAIL came from? I've seen fog, snow, rain, mud, sunshine, floods, roofs damaged by hurricanes, delays due to lightining storms, etc.

I've never seen an NFL game played in a hailstorm.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 20, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sween, he also picked Jay Schroeder.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 3:42 PM

By saying he can't learn the system and can't pick out the open receivers....

Re:Gregggg Williams slant. On his prior Radio Show, he stated that he reached out to Gregggg once he wasn't retained and they shared a common bond from then on since they both were dumped by the Redskins. He said they were on good terms now. And Gregggg told him he was told to keep LaVar on ice by the management.

LaVar says whatever he feels will sway the vote towards himself as far as the pity vote, irregardless of the truth.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"I think at the end of the season the fans will be saying Zorn is not the answer. At the end of last season, a few fans were saying that,"

Yeah I was, still am....

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

lol, learned.

And the thing I liked about Shanahan was his amazing ability to take a running back with a shredded leg in one half & turn him into a record braking back in the second...

If Shanahan brings his doctors, I'm all for it. Yes, I think Romanowski was on that squad, too.

I watched that game from Mexico & was so po'd at the thing I took the next stuporbowl off.

While I guess I like him, he hasn't done much lately to make me think he'd strike gold here...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Agreed 4th, I still like him tho. That Aikman hit will keep him in my good graces forever, even if he became a football moron.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Shanahan in here, if the D were kept the same and Shanahan running the O..... Big things in Washington, we haven't had offense in forever.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I believe Lavar. Labor over management always. Snyder/Cerratto pulling strings is totally believable. Also when Lavar finally saw the field that season he was a major reason we marched into the playoffs and played big in the playoff game ta boot.

Y'all can hate and be company toolz if ya want..I will stick with the warriors who strap it on and give their bodies for our enjoyment.

Long Live Lavar!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Santana's game against Dallas in 2005 on MNF forever put him in the "Santana can do no wrong" category.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Sween, he also picked Jay Schroeder.
Posted by: learnedhand1"

Who played pretty well, didn't he? An NFC championship game appearance, a 4000 yard season... wasn't until the Skins shipped him to Oakland in one of the great unbalanced trades of all time, that he developed a case of the yips.

In fact, Schroeder was probably a Gibbs prototype QB -- could win the game for you all by himself (providing he was hot). Remember the Giants game when Theismann went down? Jay was a fan heart attack waiting to happen.

Jason's not that type of QB. But Super Bowl history is dotted with cautious QBs who nonetheless won games.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Dik - Agreed. I can easily separate the Football playing LaVar vs. 'Man on Fire' LaVar.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"strap it on and give their bodies for our enjoyment."

OK reading that back...it sounds mad kinky...obviously not my intent. Let me phrase:

the players who sacrifice their bodies for our sports entertainment enjoyment....

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

chRIs LaRrY, in your Zorn-not-the-answer grading key, is Shanahan the right answer?

Shanahan feels so yesterday to me. I'm still with Zorn. Yes, he was elevated from offensive coordinator to head coach too quickly, but I don't think there are any unfixable scars. I'm decidely not with the win-right-now camp (though I admit, I grew up in Cleveland where, for a long time, sports teams were in a win-never mode).

Also, did Portis and Shanahan end on good terms? Not that that needs to make a difference, but The Owner loves him some Portis.

I hated reading that Michael Lombardi piece, but I know he's only saying what many have been saying for years. But like a patient parent, one day I hope The Owner will actually mature and become more grown up about his football decision-making.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Schroeder balled for the skins for awhile, and Gibbs sat his azz quick when he started sucking....Gibbs taking a baseball reject off the bench and coming a snot rocket away from Superbowl....Schroeder represents a Gibbs plus, not a negative.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lavar was handled the wrong way, sad to see how his career ended. Freak of an athlete that doesn't come around that often.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Risky Business (with Tom Cruise and Rebecca DeMornay) is a metrosexual movie.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

F zorn, and Shanahan.....Grimm baby!

Or a hungry young assistant that isn't associated with "The Family"

Also I would like a Defensive minded headcoach who is smart enough to pick a bad azz young turk to be o-cord....I know offense is our downfall but we have had off minded head coach ad neasium.....hows that working...D minded coaches with the self confidence to hire a good o-cord are always the way to go....

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Long Live Lavar!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:07 PM

I got a source that seriously contradicts LaVar. Though the source is from Snyder's inner circle, I tend to believe what has been said regarding his comprhension of the game plan and why he couldn't get on the field......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

4th pimping unnamed sources after crying about that very same thing for three seasons...classic.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"I tend to believe what has been said regarding his comprhension of the game plan and why he couldn't get on the field......"

Then how come the defense improved after he started playing the last 6 games of the year and in post-season?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

LEt me rephrase to make it clearer....

Ever heard of functioning illiterate?

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm would be the schnit. I'd be down with that. Joe Bugel has to be winding down on his coaching career.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Was this the same insider friend who told you to buy 6 Flags?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

And my source isn't unnamed. It is very much named as can be.....

I know I have no editors to verify this, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It pays sometimes to be an avid Redskins fan at the right place at the right time on K Street visiting a certain friend whose place of employment has clients such as McLaughton, Maureen Bunyan, and the Queen of Nigeria (I think that's the country)......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If we are playing the "I know a guy" game than I will share how I know a guy that was Lavar's HS tutor. He said he wasn't the brightest bulb but never mentioned he couldn't read....said he was actually a great guy, easy to tutor and became a Skins fan next to Steelers just b/c of his fondness for Lavar.

Anyone else know a guy?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen an NFL game played in a hailstorm.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 20, 2009 3:49 PM |

Then you've never been at FedEx after the Skins score a touchdown against Dallazz and the hail from the fans chanting "Hail to the Redskins" storm down on the field like a mighty tide of wrath.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail Vic-tor-y

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

6 flags - I got that from Jim Cramer.....

Don't be trying to discredit the Truth.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So name him. I mean this is a parody right....straight laughable....was this the same Queen of Nigeria that I keep getting emails about?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

What is this?! Another sports talk station on the DC dial not owned by The Danny! The Danny is not pleased by this. Quick Vinny, get the lawyers on the horn. I smell another acquisition. We'll call it Sextuple-X-ESPN980-Radio.

Danny rulez yoo!

Posted by: Predator48 | July 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Jim Cramer? Wow....he is credible....whats next tips from Lenny Dykstra...F Jim Cramer.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Lavar was an animal in that 2005 playoff push. I'm pretty sure it was him that gave Shaun Alexander the concussion in the Divisional playoff game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse"

Thats right ih8dallas!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

At the end of the Day. I love LaVar. But all I am saying is I am not letting any ex-athelete sway my decision because they have underlying reasons to pimp a certain view as well. Not trying to put dude down or anything.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

so if Zorn's team goes 10-6 and does not make the playoffs

does he get fired?

What your opinion RI Nation

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

so if Zorn's team goes 10-6 and does not make the playoffs

does he get fired?

What your opinion RI Nation

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse
In the unlikely event that 10-6 doesn't get to the playoffs. Zorn will be back, but we are going 11-5 so I'm not worried.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"My point, Schroeder couldn't deal with adversity. See Joe's statement above. When the lights shined brightest - NFC and AFC championship games he was terrible.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse "

Agreed, but I would also say Gibbs saw that and benched him quick when it became obvious. Then he and Bobby Fleeced da Raiders for a key cog in 1992 SB: Jim Lacey!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

JC on Arrington's show now.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

so if Zorn's team goes 10-6 and does not make the playoffs

does he get fired?

What your opinion RI Nation

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 4:31 PM |

If they start out 8-0 and then fall to 2-6 in the 2nd half, mebbe. If they start out 2-6 and then go 8-0 in the 2nd half, probably not.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Then he and Bobby Fleeced da Raiders for a key cog in 1992 SB: Jim Lacey!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:38 PM |

Don't you mean Jim Lachey? Jim Lacey is an analyst at the Institute for Defense Analyses and a professor of conflict and global issues at Johns Hopkins University.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

yeah littlegreenbag....sorry for the misspelling....kind of a funny other person though....

Posted by: chrislarry | July 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Going 10-6 and not making the playoffs in the NFC East is a very unlikely scenario. I'd say the improvement on D buys us two more wins this year, putting us right there.

Posted by: bostskin | July 20, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 20, 2009 10:25 AM |

If this happens, Shanahan will demand nothing less than total control over personnel decisions and answer to no one but the owner himself...which means Vinny C will need to be shown the door...that's what has me wondering whether it will happen; I think Snyder has gotten sooo comfy with Vinny being his yes-man that he's gonna have a hard time letting him go and bringing in someone who could stand up to him a-la-Marty Schottenheimer..

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

LaVarGate was just as much on the coaches.

Great coaches figure out how to get the most out of their best/most talented players. They don't handcuff them, bench them and alienate them just b/c they don't stand in the right spot all the time.

What Grilliams and the coaching staff pulled was straight high-school bush league. It was infuriating watching Warrick Holdman play game after game and record 1.5 tackles while LaVar stood on the sideline.

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

[continues]

"And Mark Brunell, may God bless and keep him, he literally saved my life, he sure did, and by golly he played his guts out for us, but man was he atrocious. We paid a whole bunch of money for a guy that we thought could still really do things up here, and we sure were wrong. (cackle/giggle) I mean, I've never seen a guy so good at throwing the ball out of bounds, and I'll never forget him for that -- it was uncanny. But gee whiz, he sure wasn't the answer for us, was he? (cackle/giggle, sigh)"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 20, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

More importantly: a NEW local sports station in town to compete w/Little Danny! Yeah, the WJFK lineup isn't the greatest, but soon, when Polin and Czabe get themselves fired and move over--it's gonna be great!

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 20, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 20, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 20, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Campbell did have several successful 4th quarter, game on the line, drives in 2008. Not sure why so few people remember this.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 20, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Three finishes for 2009 season

Finish drives with TD's
Finish games strong, rushing the clock out
Finsh the season strong, 5 straight wins

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Because people are by nature dumb.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Jay Schroeder ?!? Jay Schroeder ?!? That has to be one of the Skins best trades ever. Maybe THE best ever.

Jim Lachey, HOF nominee, and two draft choices for Jeff George's mini-me. Awesome!

Schoeder had one good year. The next year, the Skins wanted him to look off the defense before coming back to a receiver. Could not do it to save his life. He looked away and when he came back he could not throw the ball accurately.

IF Schroeder could stare down the receiver, great. If he was supposed to look off the defense, it was an "I" pass, as in "I"ncomplete or "I"nterception.

Once the NFC East figured that out, Jay's days were numbered at WAS. But those geniuses at OAK either didn't know, or thought they could fix him.

Which they couldn't, because in addition to having in common withe George a cannon arm, great touch on a deep ball, they also shared a ten-cent head and arrogant attitude.

Posted by: dpc2003 | July 20, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if we're good this year, and I think we SHOULD be, I'll be the first to point out that Campbell is holding us back... Like if we look like Chicago has the last couple years.

But until now, that hasn't been the case. Our Defense has let us down late in games, getting pounded by runs, largely because the O doesn't sustain drives.

It's hard to throw for a 3rd and 8 when the O Line is playing matador.

We shall see soon enough.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | July 20, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan feels so yesterday to me. I'm still with Zorn."

I feel you here, bro'.

There's nothing wrong with the idea that a guy (Zorn) should work to the end of his contract--5 years--get evaluated, then re-signed or fired.

In the battle between stability v. shiny new object, let's hope the redskins consider consistency to '...this week's hot, new coach...'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 20, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"...Lavar was handled the wrong way, sad to see how his career .."

Agreed.

He was drafted by people who didn't mind the freelancing, and left the team once it was taken over by people who did.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

This is not big news but I met DeMaurice Smith on the street today and he told me if he has his way James Thrash will soon be working for the NFLPA.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 20, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

The Juicy Lucy is an extremely dank burger in a great environment. makes MN worth going to, almost.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | July 20, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | July 20, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Lisa....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I like a QB who wins games. Period.

Posted by: DikShuttle

I like lines who win games.

Posted by: TheCork | July 20, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Let's hope if it ever happens, it's by a Redskin QB, so they can sing the perfect fight song afterwards.

Posted by: TheCork | July 20, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

How bad was Jay Schroeder? Maybe a better way to look at it is, how good were Art Monk and Gary Clark?

Get this:
Schroeder's RBs were Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson. His WRs were Tim Brown, James Lofton and Willie Gault. HIs TE was Todd Christiansen.

For those unfamiliar ... Allen and Lofton are in the HOF, Tim Brown is a lock. Bo Jackson was an amazing talent until his career got derailed by injuries. Christiansen led the NFL in receptions, twice, as a TE! Willie Gault was among the world's fastest men, was the deep threat on da Bears Super Bowl team and averaged 20 yards a catch for his career.

Yes, in case anyone wonders why the Skins were good, even with Schroeder, its because guys like Monk and Clark were outstanding players, far better than they've been given credit for over the years.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 20, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

And Gregggg told him he was told to keep LaVar on ice by the management.

Posted by: 4thFloor

We don't often agree, but you NAILED it this time out.

If Arrington actually said that, that it the most preposterous load of bull-dingy I've heard from a football player.

What do you expect from a guy who tests the patience of JoPa, can't or wont' remember his assignments, whines because he has to stick his hand in the dirt on passing downs, doesn't read his contract then gripes because he feels ripped off.

Posted by: TheCork | July 20, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Debate Topic as the season progresses:

The Class of '08

Fred Davis
Malcolm Kelly
Devin Thomas

v.

The Class of '09

Brian Orakpo
Kevin Barnes
Jeremy Jarmon

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 20, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

We alreddy know Orakpo is a starter,so as far as their freshman year it's a no brainer.

Posted by: mark65 | July 20, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

In a complaint that reads like the rape allegations made several years ago against NBA star Kobe Bryant, Harrah's employee Andrea McNulty alleges sexual assault against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in a lawsuit filed last week in Washoe County, Nevada.

Every time they win a Super Bowl something happens with Big Ben

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

This is the number one Hamburger site on the internets.

Awesome work, peeps!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | July 20, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

In and Out Burger.

Colt will push Campbell hard (and Collins out).

"His mind...is ahead...of what the defense is"
~Namath to Suzy C...
Or
Joey "T"'s mind thinking "ahead" to Cathy Lee Crosby.

Bye Bye.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

With those WRs, Schroeder looked like a darn good pro QB (and yes, the Skins stole Jim Lachey). When Schroeder went to the Raiders, he went downhill. But its not like he didn't have talent around him...
[some excellent points deleted]

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 20, 2009 7:23 PM

Your post also illustrates that even with great skill players, and outstanding O-line beats a good O-line.

Even RB Timmy Smith looked great, for a game that mattered.

Posted by: Alan4 | July 21, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Not much to say about JC...If he plays better than last year GREAT! If he continues stinkin SEE YA. On aother note I turned on my Radio to listen to the Mike Show on WJFK and I got the Lavar Arrington show!!!!!!! OMG it sucked....all the guy did was cry!!! I wish the guy would go back to racing motorcycles. BAAAAAAD

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 21, 2009 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 21, 2009 4:33 AM |

Ain't it the truth? Same story as every player in the NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

You want to know why Tom Brady is so good he has an OFFENSIVE LINE.
Joe Gibbs had and OFFENSIVE LINE!
If you don't have an OFFENSIVE LINE your going to stink plain and simple as that.
My point, you can put anybody back there but if he has no OFFENSIVE LINE he will lose!

Posted by: shamken | July 21, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

sween-gibbs did not pick theisman allen did.

Posted by: rls1041 | July 21, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

noonefromtampa wrote:
so if Zorn's team goes 10-6 and does not make the playoffs

does he get fired?

What your opinion RI Nation?

I think he would stay if the Redskins made it to 10-6, but I don't think they go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. I also don't see them going 10-6. Ultimately, it may not be as much about Zorn as it is about an available coach whose name looks good in the bright neon lights. Shanahan fits the bill and it is basically the same offense that Zorn runs, so no steep learning curve for the players. Anyone who thinks Snyder is over his impulsive fantasy football phase was clearly not watching this offseason. Remember, Schottenheimer got the axe after winning eight of the last eleven games. Zorn is going to have to look really good to keep his job.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 21, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all,

Gibbs' comments seemed, to me, to indicate two things. 1) that Soup has shown some thin skin to this point and is in danger of becoming a footnote in the NFL and F) that he's optimistic for Soup's opportunity to do better. A rather profound contridiction, actually. One you'd expect presented by an HOF'er.

And with that bit of possibly obvious briliance I present today's listening assignment:

Hail to the Thief

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me

Just put one Anthony I. Kornheiser on in the morning and you got yourself a listener.

And bring back B. Mitch. I'll take him over Lavar anyday!

Posted by: Predator48 | July 21, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

peri

"...Colt will push Campbell hard (and Collins out."

Interesting dynamic here.

Folks like Colt, but what if Daniels proves to be a player?

They both have Drew Brees' size--but what about the accuracy, touch, and ability to make plays? Well, Collins is in the way of getting them the preaseason and practice reps needed to judge their ability.

And who wants to cut a veteran--and take the sal cap hit--you're going to release anyway to insure you keep both Daniels/Brennan around to see the outcome of their talent?

Again: and interesting camp battle at what seems an uninteresting position.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Moe I'm almost willing to take the hit releasing Collins. He has shown nothing in this new scheme that Brennan hasn't. I think Collins' success on this squad had to do with one thing only - the Al Saunders Bible. He knew that thing inside and out. This new system not so much. And for on-the-field time he's almost a rookie anyway, albeit at 67 years old...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"...that Soup has shown some thin skin to this point.."

From all my reading, the opposite is the case.

The guy has handled himself rather admirably.

You have a point if you can slug in a quote or piece of text suggesting Campbell has snapped while playing behind an offensive line that doesn't pass block well, or lost it as the FO courted Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutler.

To quote Al Sharpton, "(Jason Campbell) isn't strange, but what is strange is what he has had to put up with...".

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"...And for on-the-field time he's (Todd Collins) almost a rookie anyway, albeit at 67 years old..."

Another argument for cutting Collins and moving on.

Give the practice and preseason reps to the young'ns, I say, as the team isn't going to resign Collins once the season is over.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Final Comment on the Erin Andrews Peeping Tom issue:

Why are there sideline reporters anyway?

What, you're watching a game and need to know that the third string cornerback, '...has a hammy, and might not get to the post game meal without help..."?

Have sideline reporters done anything to improve the quality of a football game the way porn tapes on the internet have improved surfing the web?

Discuss.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

What the hell is so special about Shanahan other than he won 2 Super Bowls over 10 years ago after he got a stud running back to help out John Elway?

I mean all this talk about Mike Shanahan coming to coach the Redskins, last I saw he looked like a tired, outdated coach whose time had come and gone, with nothing new to offer. Is that the best we can do?

F@%K Mike Shanahan!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 21, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 8:07 AM |

Huh? I guess you have a point. Neither one has thrown a pass in regular season so neither one has shown anything "in this new scheme."

In preseason last year Brennan was the sack king -- going down 8 times compared to 5 for Collins. Brennan had a better QB rating against third-string defenses, but Collins had a better QB rating against second-string defenses than Campbell did against starters. What's that prove?

I'm no fan of Collins and wouldn't be sorry to see him leave, but I don't think you can make a determination off of what happened in last year's preseason games. Everything will depend on what happens in camp this year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 8:22 AM

Make that 5 for Campbell, 3 for Collins.

The real dog in preseason last year was Derek Devine, who wasn't. He had a QB rating of 10.4.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss something or did I noticed that no where in Gibb's quote did he refer to or endorsed Jason Campbell. It appears that Gibbs was just making a general statement about what the NFL QB requirements are. Would that be consider an anti-endorsement on Campbell then?

Posted by: JohnWWW | July 21, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'll take up that argument, Moe.

First off, I'm saying that's what Gibbs is intimating. Whether that's true or not is a different issue.

But since you're taking the position that JC17 is above the fray, Soup has been outspoken about his reactions to the trade rumors and subsequent confirmation. He's even been indignant about the criticism.
While there may be excuses for his performance, as an NFL QB you HAVE to be contrite and accept the responsibility for your own play, in any circumstance.

How can you blame the FO for trying to improve their team (not that I think EITHER of those guys is an improvement)? Campbell has done nothing to cement his leadership on this squad other than have a low interception stat.

More power to him, but this is a make or break season for both QB and Coarch. Soup (& Zorn, for that matter) have to react less to the criticism and do better. Period.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

John, You're right! Gibbs was not endorsing Campbell, rather he was saying it's his time to DO SOMETHING or fade away... I think, anyway...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | July 21, 2009 8:32 AM

I think you (and the rest of us) did miss something. We missed hearing what Gibbs actually said.

All we read were three paragraphs of Dan Steinberg's quotes, not the transcript of everything Gibbs said. And even those paragraphs contain a lot of "...." Given that the name "Campbell" does not appear anywhere in Steinberg's rendering, there is a chasm between the headline and the story.

This is not Cindy's best work, although it's about par for Steinberg.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

lmao @T_E

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"...This is further proven in Soup's own comments that he believes this season is his to prove his worth..."

And here is where we all are.

It's up to Campbell to play to where he deserves to be '..shown the money..'.

Thing is, he has to do so in what is a dysfunctional atmosphere: too many guys (offensive linemen, young wide receivers, Zorn's playcalling) have to 'cowboy up' for him to do well.

And that's where Gibbs' comments ring true--that the best quarterbacks make the most of what's been handed to them.

And that's what's being intimated.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | July 21, 2009 8:32 AM |

Why would he endorse Campbell? He hasn't done anything, especially coming off of a 2-6 finish to last season. All he is saying is that if you really have what it takes to be a successful QB it will surface eventually. Plus Gibbs is still on the company payroll, I believe.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

=======================

Shannahan will want total control (Head Coach and GM) and after Shotty, I don't see that happening again!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 21, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

What does this have to do with JC? Does Gibbs believe JC is that kind of QB? This was crap. Heard it before, but this isn't relative if not tied back to JC? Where is there a connection between what Gibbs said and JC?

Posted by: joeyndan | July 21, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"The team has two '...undersized, but prolific...' college quarterbacks on it's roster--Chase Daniels, Colt Brennan--which sets up another fine training camp battle for the third quarterback spot. posted by Mista Moe"

Zorn must look at these two guys and see a mirror; undersized QBs (Zorn was six-two, two hundred) with live arms and happy feet (Zorn scored 4 rushing TDs as a rook). The only differences are 1) they're both a hell of a lot better known coming out of Hawaii and Missouri than Zorn was coming from Cal-Pomona, and 2) they're looking at backup roles on a veteran club instead of a woeful expansion team. Zorn was Seattle's MVP as a rookie, and I'm pretty sure neither Colt nor Chase will get near that title in Washington, now or (perhaps) ever.

But you can tell he really prefers them to Collins, the grizzled vet who thinks Zorn's eclectic QB drills are stupid.

IF there's a way to make one of these guys the number two QB this coming season, Zorn will pull the trigger. But that's far from a sure thing. Fanz may like one or the other, but that's not based on demonstrated pro potential. Daniel was rated lower by pro scouts than his own backup at Missouri. Brennan hasn't shown much except a penchant for overconfidence. Collins is no doubt determined to hold on to his paycheck for at least one more season, probably hoping that Zorn gets canned in favor of a real head coach like Shanahan or Cowher. Of course both would probably cut Todd just on the grounds of advanced age. That guy has had the weirdest career of any QB in memory.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 21, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 9:05 AM

Gibbs comments ring true because, like so much of what he says, they're platitudes. "All quarterbacks go through tough times."

Gibbs says nothing. "The cream rises to the top." "Quarterbacks have to fight their guts out." "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken." All true, but not profound insight.

This isn't meant as a knock on Gibbs, but don't ever expect him to tell Mike Wise or anyone else how he really feels about Jason Campbell or other player he's ever coached.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I read that three times to make sure I wasn't missing something. Where's any reference to Campbell?

Posted by: drfunknsoul | July 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN: "Like the feet. Love the accurate, quick-trigger arm. McCoy unloads it about as quickly as any QB and hits on a ridiculously high percentage. He completed an amazing 77 percent of his passes ... "

Them's the Colt hard facts. There may be a Colt in the Skins future but it ain't Brennan. Accurate, quick-trigger arm, fast realease, high percentage completion rate. Momma, Momma, Momma. You know I like it like that.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Where's any reference to Campbell?

Posted by: drfunknsoul | July 21, 2009 9:21 AM

No direct or specific reference to Campbell. Campbell is a member of the group "quarterbacks" and even the more select group "quarterbacks that we've been fortunate enough to be with the years that I coached" so that's where the RI is making the leap in the headline "Gibbs on Campbell". Go figure.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

T_E et. al.,

Insteresting aside: Does anyone know where that "Tough man to make a tender chicken" colloquialism comes from? It's a bit of local history...

& Moe - these choir robes fit nice, don't they ;]

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 9:32 AM |

It comes from that old fart Frank Perdue. I wouldn't call Eastern Shore local. And while we are on the subject of old farts it was a tough past weekend for them. Lance getting dusted by Contador. Tom giving out at Turnberry. Sob, sniffle.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

For all the good Gibbs has done for the Redskins he needs to shut up. The game has changed and passed him by. I mean who would not return to coaching if some rich idiot owner were paying 10 million dollars?
Gibbs struggled with clock management and interefered in play calling. Al Saunders was paid 4 million dollars to call plays that Gibbs interefered with. JC was getting mixed signals from two play callers. He held Campbell back from just going out an playing.
I guarantee anyone on this blog that with Zorn on his side, teachin and coaching and most importantly JC being in the same system anothe ryear all this nonsense about him not being a good quarterback will be put to rest.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | July 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 9:32 AM

It's a commercial from The Sage of Salisbury, Frank Purdue.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Does anyone know where that, "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken," colloquialism comes from?"

That homespun truism comes from Wisconsin where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call Eastern Shore local.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:38 AM

And thank God for that. We on the Eastern Shore sure don't want to be associated with much of what you're putting down on the Western Shore. Except for the Redskins, of course.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It's a commercial from The Sage of Salisbury, Frank Purdue.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 9:41 AM |

A day late and misspelled at that! Try again some other time pal.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

John Madden says if a team has a doubt about its quarterback(s), it doesn't have one.

Nothing against Gibbs' commentary, but that simple, direct statement alone sums up where the redskins are now with regard to the q-back position.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Only partly correct!

I dunno, I always thot that was kinda cool.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Who knows or cares exactly what Gibbs was saying, back in the day this is what we called, - "Talking loud and saying nothing".

Gibbs has come, and gone, and came again, Thanks for everything, but BYE, go play with your grandkids and NASCAR.

As far as Campbell, just like another saying from back in the day it's time for him to - "Sh*t or get off the pot".

Yeah I know it's said it depends on the Oline and emergence of the receivers etc., but it's do or die, now or never, Campbell needs to get it done this season or.......

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 21, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, I always thot that was kinda cool.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 9:57 AM

I think you're pulling our Dik, Shuttle. There never was any mob in the chicken business. That ad was the invention of a clever ad agency and it worked because not many CEOs actually went on TV and, with his squeaky voice, he was the opposite of a "tough man."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

beet beet

Last!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

F@%K Mike Shanahan!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 21, 2009 8:20 AM

Ideally, the fans would rise up and fassel the guy.

Posted by: dcsween | July 21, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Perdue was able to make that claim after successfully chasing the mob out of the chicken industry. Hence the "Tough Man" moniker. That's why they used it in the ads..."

Well, the way I heard it (and we all know that Shore legends are true) is that Frank got his start with mob money, and then had to dig his way out of the relationship later on.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

To me since Gibbs didn't come out and say JC has the temperament what Gibbs is really saying is he doesn't think JC does have it. Which is not surprising since nothing JC has done has shown he has what it takes to reach the next level. I hate to waste another year on JC to prove that.. but that is what the Skins seem locked into doing. The sooner the Skins replace JC the better...

Posted by: sovine08 | July 21, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween
_____
Gibbs picked up Theismann??? You might want to check Redskins history on that one...

Posted by: sovine08 | July 21, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Sween, he also picked Jay Schroeder.
Posted by: learnedhand1
______
Schroeder was a 10 times better QB than Campbell.. Came him when Theismann broke his leg his rookie year and almost got the Skins in the playoffs... Next year led them to a 12-4 record while throwing for a franchise record 4,109 passing yards. He lead them to the NFC title game and the only reason they lost was because the wind was so bad at Giants stadium that day no one could throw. Next year he suffered a separated shoulder and even though he still played pretty well his arm wasn't the same that year.. What has Campbell done in 4 years that was close to this???

Posted by: sovine08 | July 21, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"Gibbs on Campbell."

Where is there any comment about Jason Campbell?

Posted by: rw-c | July 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Gibbs old school approach hurt Campbell's development. the later gibbs I and Gibbs II were all about no turnovers. so to be successful under him it was all about no INTs. thus Campbell is a methodical underneath, take no chances QB. I will always remember Gibbs II praising Marc Brunell for the game he completed 22 or so in a row. All the passes were screens and last option dinks and dunks of no more than 5 yards. his offense and philosophy were too conservative. NOw Campbell has the man of weird drills and more methodical approaches.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 21, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Shanahan. Skins have been boring losers for a long time now. Shanahan probably won't get us to a superbowl but at least the team will be exciting to watch. Zorn loses 14-10. Shanahan will lose 32-30. Give me some excitement.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Was this Joe's nice way of saying JC sucks because he does suck? I know many don't want to believe it, but it's true. JC is one of those guys that just don't have what it takes to inspire many game winning drives in bigtime games.

Posted by: theBozyn | July 21, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse