Gibbs says he wasn't consulted about change

Former Redskins coach and team president Joe Gibbs said Sunday night that he was not consulted about the decision to remove former executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and replace him with general manager Bruce Allen, adding that he did not foresee a role for him with the franchise in the future.

Gibbs said before Sunday night's game against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field that he regularly talks to owner Daniel M. Snyder, but not about substantive issues about the team.

"For me, personally, I haven't talked to Dan about major decisions or anything," Gibbs said. "So for me, when I talk to him, it's kind of a friend. We talked. So for me, I just know that he has a burning passion for the team and he's going to try to do what's right, and so for all of us, the rest of us as Redskins fans, we hope all the decisions and everything he's going to make -- whatever they may be, I'm not aware of them -- I think we all hope that they're going to turn out best for the Redskins."

Gibbs, who retired following the 2007 season to complete his second tenure as the team's coach, spoke in the press box to remember legendary Washington sportscaster George Michael, who died last week of cancer. Gibbs spoke warmly of his conversations with Michael, saying, "Every time I talked to him, he would encourage me. ... He just had great courage through the whole thing."

Gibbs, though, seemed to indicate that he saw why change needed to be made with his former franchise. He also said his involvement with the NASCAR teams he owns and his family situation -- grandson Taylor is fighting leukemia -- mean he won't return.

"I think with me and all I've got going with my family and everything in Charlotte and with all the racing, it's extremely hard for me," Gibbs said. "I'm gone. I think Dan knows that. We talk, we talk as friends."

Gibbs was asked what he would say to second-year Redskins coach Jim Zorn, who replaced him two seasons ago. He spoke of the difficulties of being an NFL head coach, but did not endorse his successor.

"I'm hoping that everything works out for Coach Zorn," Gibbs said. "He's a heck of a person. So hopefully, that's what happens for him, but I think he knows he's in the coaching profession. He knows how tough it is, and it's an extremely tough job to have."

Gibbs stood up for his record when he worked with Cerrato from 2004-08, but said Snyder's move was understandable with someone who had worked so long in the same organization.

"Vinny and I, I felt like, had a great working relationship," Gibbs said. "I think when I worked with him, I think we were real comfortable with each other. I go all the way back to our very first free agency group that we brought in here. I was proud of our drafts. But I also know that things certainly can happen in an organization and it's hard for somebody to stay a real long time. I think it's just one of those things that I think the decision was made to go in a different direction."

But Gibbs said he would not be part of shaping that new direction. He said he was not consulted on any of the changes that have been -- or will be -- made.

"I don't think I should have been," Gibbs said. "I'm not here. I'm gone. And so I don't think that was my place. I think Dan and the other people that he's conferring with to make those decisions, I think that's the right way to make it. They're here all the time, spending all their time with it. I think that's the way it should be, so I don't think I should have been."

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 27, 2009; 7:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas heads Redskins' inactives
Next: Redskins trail by 7 after first quarter

Comments

Gibbs says he wasn't consulted about recent change

By Barry Svrluga | December 27, 2009; 7:58 PM ET

NO Sh!t

This is clearly a post to further denigrate Synder and rally the cynical fans

Posted by: Vicc | December 27, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I know he was in the press box tonight but was he suppose to be?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Would you trade the 5th pick in the draft for the 9th?

With the 9th pick you receive a win tonight against the boys.

I say yes...F- dall-ass

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:14 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

gosh Joe

Posted by: alex35332 | December 27, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I find it hard to square Riggo's concept that Synder has a 'dark heart' with the idea that Gibbs is willing to speak to him.
St. Joe might not have won another trip to the HOF with 2.0, but he's always been a real forceful, positive person.

Posted by: daggar | December 27, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Washington Post. Stop tryin' the start stuff. Gibbs is gone...

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

F dallas!

That's all.

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barry, Wapo.

Are you guys through yet?

Synder Sux, we get it!

Posted by: Vicc | December 27, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Washington Post. Stop tryin' the start stuff. Gibbs is gone...

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:23 PM

Gibbs stopped by the press box tonight and was asked that very question.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This is clearly a post to further denigrate Synder and rally the cynical fans
Posted by: Vicc | December 27, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Are there any other type of skins fans?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 27, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

So are you all ready for the carnage to begin?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 27, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd make that trade Diesel.

Good Players can be had in the draft at any pick!

Posted by: Vicc | December 27, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is a drunken, self promoting mess...

and I loved him as a player.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

alex35332,

apparently not on RI

Posted by: Vicc | December 27, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I WANT DALLAS

Posted by: alex35332 | December 27, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Can we sign Jacoby, Bostic and Tre Johnson to a one day contract!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Whiff Laron Landry!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, saw that whiff.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

And that's why Blatche sucks. 3rd and 8 and he has both safeties playing 20 yds off the line.

F Blatche

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

The same thing, different week

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

F Landry and his non tackling ass. WTF is wrong w/his arms that he is not able to use them when hitting an opponent?

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

And 92 already taking a breather.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Can you spell Q-U-I-T!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

And 92 already taking a breather.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:40 PM

I'd be surprised if Blache let's him play often this game.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Damn Blache! That shift is the reason why Dallas converted on 3rd down!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Can you spell Q-U-I-T!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:41 PM

Landry can't spell it, but clearly knows the definition.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

The question is does AH ask for a breather or does he get pulled as part of the defensive rotation. Maybe the insider can find out instead of stirring up crap. Why should Gibbs be consulted I believe he quit last year.

Posted by: lifelongfan | December 27, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

And 92 already taking a breather.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:40 PM

I'd be surprised if Blache let's him play often this game.

What do you mean...I'd be suprised if Haynesworth lets Blache coach!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to bother hating on a coach that'll be gone in 8 days, you could at least spell his name correctly... B-L-A-C-H-E

Posted by: Kev29 | December 27, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the insider can find out instead of stirring up crap.

Posted by: lifelongfan | December 27, 2009 8:45 PM

good one.

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Loved that stat they showed on JC. Speaks to his completion %.

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Another pathetic performance on the field tonight folks...

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

That's on Campbell....

He's gotta throw that away...he had time!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

That's on Campbell....

He's gotta throw that away...he had time!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:50 PM

AT lest chuck it down field.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | December 27, 2009 8:47 PM

D-O-U-C-H-E.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Something I like about JC is his courage, ability to stand in there and take a hit.
But he needs to upgrade his internal clock to one-two-three-throw from wooone, twooooo, threeeeeee, owwww!

Posted by: daggar | December 27, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Here comes cover 2

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

My bad.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Good Hit London!!!!!!!!

That's ol' skool right there!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

A few quick observations:

1. Sometimes, I wish people would refer to ANTONIO RAMIRO ROMO as such. Latino brothers and sisters would appreciate it.

2. I wish Moss would stop with that little spin move whenever he touches the ball.

3. I hate Dallas.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 27, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was in the press box tonight, being interviewed by the gaggle of media.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 27, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe the rumor that Zorn has been telling him to throw on three seconds, and everytime he trots off the field he says "well, I counted -- one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi".

Posted by: daggar | December 27, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I really like how tough Quinton runs.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Here comes a pick 6!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

O line...not to bad so far!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Heyer get's no movement on his run blocks.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Chris Collinsworth calling out Vinny on his decision get Haynesworth instead of helping the O-line

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

So that stretch play, CAN IT.

Al Michaels, get off the play-calling stuff. There has been 1---ONE--delay of game penalty since the switch. AND, the 'Skins have scored more points.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 27, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Asking Mr. Gibbs if he's had any say in any changes, asking if he's been asked for his advice/suggestions isn't starting contoversy; it's a legitimate question. Everyone knows that there's a good working and personal relationship between Mr. Snyder and Mr. Gibbs. People would be complaining here if the story mentioned Mr. Gibbs being at the game (probably in Mr. Snyder's box) and hsi not being asked if he had input or was asked for his advice. You can't win.

That said, I can see asking Mr. his advice based on his experience both in the league and with the team, and I can not asking because it's got to be a management decision and Mr. Gibbs took himself out of management when he resigned as team president.

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

UFB...a qb sneak...and it works...

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

O M G

THE SKINS QUARTERBACK KEEPER ON THIRD AND SHORT... WITH A 6' 4" QB!

Who let common sense into the game plan this week?

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 27, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Can we PLEASE get 7 on this drive?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

CAn I Please see Moss, Mitchell and Kelly on the field at the same time?????

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's get MM some touches.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Danny and Zorny have any WHACKY, LOONEY TUNE plays drawn up for tonight.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Spiller just took a screen, The DE read it but Spiller out ran him to the corner. He then ran for another 44 yards.

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I love the way these announcers pile on the obvious. I also noticed he never indicated who they should have acquired instead of Haynesworth. I don't remember too many FA OL being available.

Posted by: lifelongfan | December 27, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:08 PM

I'd take Spiller in the 1st as long as they address the OL in FA and in the 2nd rd.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how many people, in another thread, are complaining about Mr. Snyder "pulling the trigger" with three weeks left in the season, why he couldn't wait until the season was over (before bringing in Bruce Allen) and not upset the team. Where are all those people who said "the day they got rid of Vinny was the greatest day of my life"? Have to wonder what kind of life they have if that's the greatest day of their life, but now the same people are complaining that bringing in Mr. Allen is disruptive?

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of the sh_t, this do nothing offense is a sad excuse for an NFL team.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 27, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

3rd n 8 guys, time for the prevent

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Great catch Deangelo.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

You've heard my cries Diesel44.....

I want CJ Spiller and I want him now!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Sonny Jurgensen had a great suggestion; if Albert Haynesworth wants to do "his thing", then they should put him in for and keep him in for every defensive play. And if he wants to come out, turn him around and tell him he's staying in and playing. Mr. Haynesworth wants to do his thing, he thinks there needs to be leadership, let him stay out there the entire game and do his thing and lead.

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

GREAT PLAY SANTANA!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Great play and block....thank you for not spinning the friggin' ball!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

You've heard my cries Diesel44.....

I want CJ Spiller and I want him now!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:13 PM

I was talking about him months before Moe and before your cries.

We have no speed and no return game. Unfortunately we also have no OL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Spiller? Seriously? He'd lose at least a second off his 40 time immediately after his 1st NFL carry as a Skin when he has to dodge 3 defenders in the backfield just to MAKE A CUT.

Really? Who gives an Al Michaels over whomEVER carries the rock next year...as long as the Great O-Line Rennovation of 2010 gets started with at least 2 top picks.

Let Spiller go be Reggie Bush 2.0 somewhere else.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | December 27, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Move the pocket. How hard id it?

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

That was the lamest pregame hype by Keith Brooking I've ever heard.

Let the brotha's do it Keith!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

This Redskins offensive flaccidity is ridiculous.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Did they just say that Mr. Haynesworth is out, that they're checking him for an ankle injury?

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Move the pocket. How hard id it?

Posted by: TWISI | December 27, 2009 9:19 PM |

What I was thinking. Or have JC roll out. This coaching staff stinks.

One more gift tonight even though Christmas is over- Fire JZ

Posted by: Skins930 | December 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

This game is getting ugly quickly.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 27, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

F CAMPBELL! GTF out of town tonight...

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

GTF out of town? It doesn't seem very many people on the field are helping him anymore than they have most games this season. How about suggesting some other players do their job instead of the "GTF" suggestion?

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

this game is still winnable if we get the achor from around our necks.... Zorn send Campbell's a$$ home at halftime since you like making statements...obviously nothing was accomplished in that meeting

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

interception cement Fletcher to the pro bowl

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

at 4-9 you'd think they would have someone else at QB other than JC17. Watching JC17 is painful the man is inept

Posted by: pathmo | December 27, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

At 4-9, who would you want to put in? You still have to consider that Jason Campbell may be part of next season's team (as a restricted free agent); aren't you better letting him play as much as possible than bringing in Todd Collins? or do you think that there's a future for the Redskins with Todd Collins as quarterback?

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

As an aside, about 77 percent of all Campbell passes are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Don't you think that has something to do with the person calling the offensive plays? That is, the throwing plays? (Because the running plays are called by another coach, only after the first coach decides he's not going to call a throwing play.)

And, considering the lead play caller doesn't talk to the quarterback during the week, how can you expect the quarterback to be on the same page, the same play, as the coach?

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe here's been more than one throw more than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage so far. Want to blame the quarterback? Then first give him time to take more than a couple steps back; let him get six or seven steps back like other quarterbacks do. But since the line doesn't get him any time to set up a play or let a play set up, it's hard to blame the quarterback.

Posted by: Dungarees | December 27, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

77% of passes under 10 yards... thats because when they call a down field pass he won't throw it. He'll just pump it6 f' ing times. he is the worst and you have no chance to win with him... nice job by blache again not pressuring up the middle. off season please hurry up

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:

If Shanahan comes here, would he use the Denver running scheme using legal but quasi-moral blocks?

If Shanahan does want to use that running scheme, which requires sully a complete overhaul of the O-line to emphasize speed over power, would the SKins be a more attractive team precisely because their O-line is in a shambles and closer to being overhauled?

Posted by: minorthread | December 27, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

minorthread wrote: Could Shanahan play Snyder's pocketbook off Jerry Jones to get the job he wants (Dallas) with the salary he wants?

The Cowboys are playoff bound... why would they need a new coach???

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Crucify that bum Collinsworth! It's about time TV show the reverse angle so we see how inept this guy is

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

garbage time,of course he will play well... I have an idea... he plays so well in the no huddle, he can go and back up P Manning!

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs:

"I think Dan and the other people that he's conferring with to make those decisions, I think that's the right way to make it. They're here all the time, spending all their time with it."
-------------------
Dan Snyder "spending all [his] time with it" guarantees that the suckiness will keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.......

Is this not the worst run NFL franchise?

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 27, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Defensive coordinator Greg Blatche needs to be fired. How in the hell do you see your defense continue to get beat and allow your CB to play ten yards down the field to allow running backs to chew up more than half of the playing field.

Worst, Mr. Blatche failed to blitz Romo to cause turnovers in a crucial rivalry. What type of coach sits back and watches the players make dumb mistake after mistake on defense.

The safeties and cornerbacks are so caught up on delivering a big hit that they don't see the ball well enough to make an interception. I saw the ball overthrown several times, however; our defensive backs and safeties were too busy trying to impress the makers of Madden 2011 video game.

Finally, the offense made plays but failed to produce a scoring drive. Clearly Jason Campbell overthrew many people and stopped scoring drives on every posession. On every other play; the offensive line was beat to death and played with no heart. Randle El was finally put in at the end of the 4th quarter to play the slot receiver- but it didn't matter- we were already down by 17 points. Therefore, the entire coaches staff on the offensive besides Coach Bugel needs to be fired!!

Posted by: ChristopherHawthorne | December 27, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

no... Bugel needs to go too!

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 27, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

At least spring and the return of the national pastime will soon be at hand...go Nats.

Posted by: cokedispatch | December 28, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse