Shanahan takes charge today

Mike Shanahan will be introduced this afternoon as the Redskins' new head coach and we'll soon know more about his vision for the franchise, but one thing is certain, Rick Maese writes:

Several people intimately tied to the Redskins' organization said that Shanahan's hiring would signal an important direction change for a franchise that has floundered in recent years, missing the playoffs in eight of 11 seasons since Snyder took over as owner.
"I think they're reorganizing things," said Joe Gibbs, the Hall of Fame coach who served two stints with the Redskins. "I think as a Redskin fan, we're all hoping that this will be over with, that the Redskins will return to being a real solid contender every year in what I think is one of the toughest divisions."
Before Shanahan accepted the job, he spoke with Gibbs, according to league sources, and the Hall of Fame coach vouched for Snyder and encouraged Shanahan to take the job.

Blog problems

You already know this, but we've been having problems across the board with our blogs and we're working to fix the problem. (Well, not me. My solution involves a polo mallet.) We apologize for the frustration you're experiencing at, oh, only what happens to be an incredibly significant moment in Redskins history.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 6, 2010; 7:04 AM ET
 | Tags: Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell: Portis calls to clear the air
Next: We're open for business again...

Comments

Hooray! The blog is back!

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of getting excited. We lead the league in off-seasons every year.

Heres hoping

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Shanahan brings a winner to DC....

Posted by: b145579 | January 6, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Losable Type is back!

Posted by: RambleOn | January 6, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

My solution involves a polo mallet.

By Cindy Boren | January 6, 2010; 7:04 AM ET

I'd hate to be holding a polo ball when Cindy's swinging her mallet.

Posted by: League-Source | January 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that Shanahan has final word on pleayers?

Then whats the point of having Bruce Allen...is he just a cap guy

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Boren,

Thanks for the chuckle of my day. And hang in there! Love the work y'all do.

Posted by: dsda3731 | January 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of getting excited. We lead the league in off-seasons every year.

Heres hoping

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 6, 2010 12:53 PM

Exactly. The Redskins have killed any type of blind hope going into the future that we may have had in previous seasons. I'll start getting excited when we start winning some games. I'm in the "what have you done for me lately" stage in my relationship with the team at this point.

Posted by: Moose33 | January 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ratso Rizzo never looked so good. Dustin Hoffman can play Shanny in the story of our 2010-11 Super Bowl run

Posted by: ElYeah | January 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope Shanny trades Portis for the second time in his career. 26 is a cancer, an overrated "me" guy, and a loser of a player. Typical U guy.

Posted by: Section104 | January 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Who at the WaPo was GIGGLING in meetings, thereby preventing the blog from functioning on such an important day??? You guys missed out on a ton of hits.

Posted by: AdamCr | January 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I wondered that, too, about Allen. Then again, he's worked for the Raiders, which, believe it or not, is probably more dysfunctional than the Snyderskins.

Posted by: dsda3731 | January 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

sure I'm not the FIRST to say this has been pretty frustrating....

Posted by: saltine182 | January 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElYeah | January 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Good chat on the other channel with Stefan Fatsis. Fatsis was the guy about Snyder's size who made himself into a decent FG kicker and went to camp with the Broncos and wrote about it in "A Few Seconds of Panic." Lot of good insights in his book into what Shanahan's like. RIGID.

Posted by: League-Source | January 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

What's the word on why Cower would not come to the Redskins? Anyone know?

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | January 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I went through some difficult withdrawal like symptoms when the blog was down. Thanks for getting it back up.

Posted by: TWISI | January 6, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 6, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for getting it back up.

Posted by: TWISI | January 6, 2010 1:07 PM |

That's what she said. This time they're using Cyalis -- should be up for as long as four hours before they call a physician.

Posted by: League-Source | January 6, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone for the possibility of shanny pulling B Marshall up outta Denver? Hes gonna a FA right?

Posted by: iHAVEfaith | January 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that Shanahan has final word on pleayers?

Then whats the point of having Bruce Allen...is he just a cap guy

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 6, 2010 12:58 PM

Allen will be huge for this team. He is going to take care of contracts and talking to free agents. He will be in charge of scouting. He will make suggestions to the coaching staff where they will have the final say.

This will not be like the many failed coaches with two heads. Where the coach has to game plan, run practice, run scouting, sign players, handle IR, and all that. To me this is the perfect set up.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 6, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iHAVEfaith | January 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

No, please no, we don't need him now that we have seen what our young guys can do on the receiving end. No more stupid signings!

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

i love how everything Snyder signs off on runs through Gibbs, shows you how much respect Snyder has for Gibbs, i think if Gibbs was like, NO DON'T DO IT! Snyder wouldn't

Posted by: destewar | January 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse