Giving Props Where Props Are Due

We were pretty tough on the kicker and punter early on, and probably will be again at some point, I'm guessing, but lets give them their props for now.

John Hall was back kicking off in Dallas, and he did better than punter Derrick Frost had been. Much better, in fact. Hall is well-schooled in the kind of angled, directional kicks special teams coach Danny Smith loves, and his ability to get the ball to a particular quadrant with decent hang time allows Smith to get more out of his coverage units.

Frost was hard pressed to establish himself as a punter alone after two erratic seasons in the NFL, so adding kickoff chores to his checklist was no help. Frost seemed more at ease Sunday night just having to punt and probably had his best game ever as a Redskin.

Now all they have to do is keep it up. It remains to be seen how Hall's legs and groin hold up with him handling field goals and kickoffs. The kickoffs in particular have been problematic for him in recent years, the root of some injuries. He is also one tough hombre who is pretty ripped for a kicker and loves to get involved in physical contact.

Keep an eye out for that as well, because his zest for that aspect of play is not always conducive to staying healthy. Maybe he'll find a way to temper that spirit, but the dude thinks like a linebacker and has delivered his share of big hits in his career.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 21, 2006; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blog Warfare
Next: Dolla Bill/Shawn Springs

Comments

ITS NICE TO SEE TAYLOR GET SO MUCH LUV, HE GETS A PASS ON GIVING UP TDS,HE GETS A PASS ON GETTING PERSONAL FOULS AT WRONG TIME,HE GETS A PASS ON BEING OUT OF POSITION,GIVING UP BIG PLAYS,YOU HAD ANOTHER PLAYER NAME LAVAR YOU TALKED THE SAME TRASH,YOU WERE WRONG THEN AND WRONG NOW,LAVAR GOT RUN OUT OF TOWN BY DANNYBOY!!ROY HAS MORE PROBOWLS!!!GIVE IT UP BOZO SKINY FANS!!!!

Posted by: BOOFER ED STEVENS | September 21, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

WHEN THE ONLY PROPS YOU CAN GIVE IS TO KICKERS, YOU GOT MORE THEN QB ISSUES!!!

Posted by: BOOFER ED STEVENS | September 21, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, my gal is a DalFan (evol, huh?).. and by the 4th Quarter she was whoopin' n' hollerin' about Her Boys being badass and all that... Save It! She was real quiet in the 3rd before the turn over. Let's face it, we all were. It was just a bad game by two somewhat talented teams who were figurin' it all out.

I have some faith that before the season is over Joe will get 'em 'coached up', but let's aim the gameplan at the players some by now, ok?! Instead of just banging our players into a system regardless of their abilities - coaching is a two way street, Al!

Dallas Fans - just wait 'till November!!

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | September 21, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Yo Boffo-
Don't pull a TO and break your finger with all that fast and furious ALL CAPS typing! You suck!

Posted by: Boffer stinks! | September 21, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

BOOFER has resorted to posting the same old tired story on multiple blog entries.

As long as TURK is not the last name of a kicker/punter/snapper, they will be tolerated.

Posted by: Dorf | September 21, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

CAPITALS ARE FOR SUPERIOR TEAMS FANS!!GIBBY DOESNT COACH PLAYERS KNUCKLEHEADS,HE GAVE THAT UP!!THE LAST WORD ON TAYLOR AND ROY!!THEY BOTH ARE GREAT, BUT SOMTHING YOU DONT CONSIDER IS THEY PLAY 2 DIFFERENT POSITIONS,ROY IS SS, TAYLOR IS FS,YOU HAVE TO COMPARE ADAM TO ROY TO BE CORRECT!YOU BOZOS NEED FOOTBALL LESSONS!!!!

Posted by: BOOFER ES | September 21, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that a lot of black people write in all caps. Is that a cultural thing? Is it part of the black webosphere? I'm white, and interact mostly with white people on the internet, so I have no way of knowing.

Posted by: Chevy Chase | September 21, 2006 12:55 PM | Report abuse

How is Nick Novak's hair?

Posted by: P Diddy | September 21, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Are we really going to turn this into a racial thing now? Come on guys. let BOFFER say his peace and if you ignore him maybe he will find something else to do with his time other than get your goat.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 21, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

WHAT?! (that's to chevy chase)

Posted by: hmmmmmmm | September 21, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

WHAT IS ANYONES OPINION ON POOPIS PORTIS SAYING THEY DONT NEED PRESEASON!!

Posted by: BOOF | September 21, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Watched the press briefing with Gibbs the other night. Bram Weinstein made sure he was in the picture the whole time. He was wearing Oakleys and his hair was just awful. Everytime I hear his voice, I want to knuckle my own eyeball. "Coach...ah...I know this is my fifty first question and I'm not letting the other reporters talk and Wilbon can write a whole column after one question and I'm a shameless self promoter and sniff your throne and my hair is awkward like Larry Michael's gear but can you tell me how this losing streak compares to the one you had in middle school growing up in North Carolina? The fans want to know." What an L-bag.

By the way, I love Mark Brunell, he is tight. He passed twice to Santana Moss for TDs last year in a minute and a half, embarassed Roy Williams, and vanquished the Cowboys playoff hopes. All in a minute and a half. Who else coud do that? Then when they came to FedEx, we punched them in the mouf. Does everyone remember the still shot of Parcells where he looked like he was wearing makeup he was so red? He looked like Gore in the first debate. Brunell is great. Fellow Skins fans...you always forget the one rule about being a Skins fans: Always trust Joe Gibbs. Always. Remember when we put it on the Bronco's back during the second quarter in 91? Always trust Joe Gibbs.

I would never hang out with Bram Weinstein or Larry Michael.

Booyakashot.

Posted by: The Governor | September 21, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Governor: I think the correct expression that Ali G uses is "booyakasha." You're close but that only counts in horse-shoes and hand grenades.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 21, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree, it's all about Gibbs. What I really want to know, Jason, is who was the reporter that asked brunell "How does it feel to be 36 and washed up?" That's some balls.

In Gibbs we trust.

Posted by: WrongDog | September 21, 2006 2:17 PM | Report abuse

well not precisely...in gregg williams defense, there is no strong or free safety...it just depends on the package we have. if sean taylor was just a free safety, he would play less in the box then he really does. We put him in the box cuz he hits like a lb

Posted by: meraj | September 21, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

J man, this blog gets better every day. Happy for your daughter. Prayer changes things.

BOOFER and Chevy, you're killin' me. Gut splittin' funny stuff.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha will settle up. We have a good o line. #8 has been slobber knocked, but he will carry the day and I think this will be another good year for him. Props to the Gov; Coach Gibbs is the man. Roy W is a stud, but he was lookin' at Moss' tail twice in that classic last year in D Town. The Reaper is special and if he continues to mature, will be bustable in Canton when it's all sais and done.

Late.

Posted by: coolio | September 21, 2006 2:55 PM | Report abuse

governor...how right you are! never, ever understimate gibbs. no one else i'd rather go into battle with. he is the master motivator and will find a way to get the skins in gear. does anyone ? his desire to make the skins the best?

Posted by: cosmofla | September 21, 2006 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Chief Wigum, if that is in fact the correct spelling for Ali G's catch phrase, then we have truly hit a high point on this blog. I've often wondered how to spell that.
That show was pure subversive genius. Borat for president!

As to thet question about Brunell being "washed up" it was asked sarcastically I am told, and was answered in that fashion as well. I wasn't here that day, but that's what I am told.
Cheers.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 21, 2006 3:11 PM | Report abuse

A clarification is in order here. The Chief is incorrect. Booyakashot originates with the rudeboy Jamaicans. When you fire a shot in the air, you're supposed to shout out "Booyakashot!" Not booyakasha.

This of course does not change the fact that Bram Weinstein is a bama.

Long live LaVar. Booyakashot.

Posted by: The Governor | September 21, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

From what research I've conducted Booyakasha is the correct spelling and it means "all right, very good." There was a rumor circulating around that it meant "kill whitey." (not true). Also if you type Booyakasha into wikipedia it takes you to info about The Ali G show.

Also, BOOYAKA! according to the Cassell's Dictionary of Slang is an exclamation of West Indies and U.K. Black teens that arose in the 1980s and is still in use. It is said to be an exclamation of delight, pleasure, made by using the mouth to simulate gun shots fired in celebration or appreciation of something.

Maybe Governor is getting Booyakashot confused with Booyaka?

The Oxford Dictionary of Catch Phrases (2002) goes on to say that "BOOYAKASHA! meaning all right, very good! is a catchphrase of Ali G.

No offense governor but I'm gonna have to go with The Oxford Dictionary. Those OED folks know what they're talking about.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 21, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Chief, you stick with the Oxford Dictionary, the bamas at Wikipedia and Cassell's...I'll stick with the yardy rudeboys that used to live down the street. Believe me, it's booyakashot. As Redskins fans, I love you all and you are all my brothers and sisters.

LaVar, if you're out there, I love you so much.

Posted by: The Governor | September 21, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse