Gotta Run, But Here's a New Post

Hey guys, have to run Rocco to the doctors to get something checked out (shouldn't be anything major but at three weeks you don't mess around), but wanted to get a fresh post up now and will try to do more later. In the brief interim I wanted to take a moment to write about that utter BS that goes round this time of year, especially in regards to player's stock rising and falling.

To me, the sickness that mock drafts have become is just a little too much to take. Teams see these kids differently, and even within most organizations there is great debate as to whom merits the actual selection. Everyone has an opinion and it's great to play Miss Chleo every April, but the reality is that no one knows how this thing will go down.

Everyone is talking to everyone about potential trades. The Redskins are talking to teams like the Lions about their pick - and have been on and off since soon after the combine - but they are also exploring trading down. That's one small example of the madness. It's going on in every front office right now. Most of it amounts to mere jockeying in the end, as few of these trades are ever made, but once one does go down the entire nature of a round of picks can shift.

The best you can do is put some scenarios out there, but to make bold declarations about who's hot and who's not, I don't know, it's a little out there for me. It only takes one team to throw the draft into a cycle that few could have predicted, and the bottom line is that Oakland could still go a few different ways with the first overall pick, so to even make ironclad assertions beyond that is pretty tricky if you ask me.

Also, different players make sense to certain teams for varied reasons pertaining to coaching, the system, the existing personnel, etc. And just because, for instance, no one talks about the Lions taking Thomas anymore, or the conventional wisdom is that they are scared to try another WR, don't be stunned if they do either should they stay at second overall.

We just don't know. If the teams themsevles are bracing for various outcomes and are moving forward under several diffferent projections, then just keep that in mind when peopel write or say that someone is definitely going to be picked at a certain spot. Causes chances are that as we stand 9 days out from this thing, even the guy making that very pick next weekend is not 100 percent sure of anything right now.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 19, 2007; 9:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You Be the GM
Next: Mark Brunell, Please Help Me

Comments

first!

Posted by: Big Murf | April 19, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

If you are in the mood for a morning laugh:

For all of us who have been late or lost due to "Internet directions".....

Do this. You'll laugh.

Take 60 seconds to do this, I guarantee you will show someone else, it's too funny not to.

1. go to www.google.com: www.google.com/

2. click on "maps"

3. click on "get directions"

4. type "New York" in the first box (the "from"box)

5. type "London" in the second box (the "to" box)

6. scroll down to step #23

Posted by: BT | April 19, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

hope everything is aight with Rocco.

All the mock drafts are annoying to me as well. They change every other day, and players stocks rise and fall when they may not even be doing anything. I just hope our FO finally gets it right!

Posted by: RockyTopSkin | April 19, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Are the 'Skins still open to trading their pick with Chicago for Briggs, or has that died forever and ever?

Thanks.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

For the sake of long term growth or quick fixes?

No brainer this FO has been guilty of the latter and needs to change this year to the former!

Trade down; TWICE!!!

You need picks now!

Posted by: Redskin Ray | April 19, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Good one BT.

Posted by: RockyTopSkin | April 19, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

JLC wrote the other day in The Lying Game: "Is that overkill and indicative of the over-the-top nature of the guy who signs the checks? Is that too many bodies for any team to really handle in a limited time? Is it a little circus-like?

Yeah, probably, but that's the Skins. That's how they roll."

That gave me an idea for a T-shirt. (Nate if you're listening.) A farside-like cartoon of a big top tent and carnival atmosphere at redskin park - maybe a monkey on a trapeeze that resembles Vinny -with JLC interviewing $nyder. JLC: It's a circus here! $nyder: That's how we roll.

I'd buy that!

Posted by: bangkokben | April 19, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hope Rocco is 100%

It seems like that is what alot of folks are saying...don't put too much stock in the rumors that you hear leading up to draft day.

I wouldn't gamble that a certain guy is going to be taken at a certain spot, but it's the "what if's" that makes this blog so much fun to read.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 19, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

#6LL,
You're stock is droping, maybe two spots.

Posted by: bangkokben | April 19, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

BT;

That is great. Good to see Google has a sense of humour!

Yeah Bankok, Loseable blog type

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy if for the first time in years the whole league doesn't already know exactly what we want to do.

Posted by: beat cal | April 19, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Redskin Ray, what would you think about turning the single first round pick (#6) into two second round picks and a third round pick? Miami has two in the second and third. The draft trade value chart says #6 is worth more than that, but personally, I'd rather take three players projected to be "pretty good" compared to one player projected to be great. With the boom/bust factor, it spreads out the risk. Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? How do you know? Lots of Pro-Bowlers have come out of the second and third rounds (Cooley anyone?). Plus, the Skins might be able to land Maryland's own Josh Wilson at CB, plus his upside as a return man. Call this Scenario E.

[On the specifics, call it impossible b/c Miami is looking at TON of compensatory picks next year ... everyone jumped that ship and they need bodies. Still.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

beat cal--

I think the whole league is confused by what we want to do because we've been the epitome of confusion.

But, seriously, I think the 'Skins have done a good job of concealing their plans, except for trade to get Campbell. They traded down twice before picking Ramsey. No one was sure whether they'd take Rogers or Pacman for the other CB that year. Everyone was surprised when they didn't choose "The Chosen One" and selected Winslow. Taylor Jacobs was a surprise. (And, in the end, not a pleasant one).

I think they've got a lot of problems out there, but they've at least confused everyone about their draft intentions.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"... Taylor Jacobs was a surprise. (And, in the end, not a pleasant one). ....

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 10:36 AM"

"moooon RIVER. Hey Doc, you using your whole fist back there?"

- Irwin Fletcher, aka Fletch

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Meant selected Taylor, not selected Winslow. Anyway, we dodged a bullet on that pick.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

KK, the Skins may have dodged a bullet on Winslow ... but they picked a bullet in Sean Taylor. Just ask the Punter Formerly Known as Bulletproof, Brian Moorman.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

sween as always with the monster hypotheticals. My prediction for this one is no less 50 posts in response.

My feeling is, not that you asked me but, yes. The only player, in my opinion worth taking at the 6 for the skins is Landry and he may not be worth that pick.

And, as has been suggested, they might be able to get a solid CB, DE and K with the 3 picks sween has laid out. Or DL, OL, and DB. Whatever combo is best at those picks.

Also, since I didn't get to weigh in on it yesterday, Sopranos has been great so far.

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Everyone thinks they can predict the future and hindsight is always 20/20. Mel Kiper and weathermen have the best jobs in the world!

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Bend over, please, Mr. Babaar..."

Hah! one of the best lines in any movie ever.

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 19, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

skinfanman, I think you meant to say "Johnson, Adams and Okoye decide to answer team interview questions truthfully."

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 10:06 AM

I forget who, but someone said smoking pot is like masturbation - many do it, few admit to it.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 19, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Sween;

I say trade down to lower first round and get a second. Whichever team wants to do that, do it.

Then, Scenario F lets call it (also known as Lisa's worst nightmare) Trade Springs for a 2nd rounder and pick up a young CB. Between that player, Smoot, Rodgers and Macklin we should see at least 2 step up and take the starter position.

Then Take a DE with 1st round pick, then look for TE or S depth with the other 2nd rounder.

The beauty of having two picks in one round is that depending on who falls where, you can take one position of need where the player fits the pick (i.e. not trading up for Rocky considering he prolly would have been there if we had standed pat). And then wait for the 2nd pick in that round to address the other need. And if no one is there at that pick that warrants it, do not just select the highest rated player at that position of need and trade out of that pick for 2 3rd rounders or something to that effect.

Or just selecte best player avail, but on a team that needs depth, that may not be wise.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

BT,

Very funny.

4-12,

I saw a post on extremeskins this morning from a guy on the "200k" season ticket waiting list. Get this, the guy gets a desperate mass email from the Skins offering up 6 upper level seats on the sideline. Not club tickets, not obstructed view... upper level season tickets on the sideline. HA.

For anyone who seriously thinks that there is even 20k on that list, pick up the phone, tell the dummy in the ticket office that you just got an email from the Skins about season tickets, and watch them beg you to take up to 6 of them on the sideline.

I know I've posted this before, but it means absolutely nothing to be a season ticket holder in DC anymore. If you had season tickets at RFK, you were a small step down from God in my book. I only went to a handful of games because it was impossible to get tix...

Now, ha, people honestly laugh at me for having season tickets. I seriously don't know why I continue to do it. You can pick up a pair in the parking lot, on game day, against a division rival, in a better location, for 1/4 to 1/2 the cost... and you don't have to pay for pre-season games like my dumb arse.

Heck, parking passess are a more valued commodity than tickets.

It makes me sick, guys. It truly does.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

In honor of this new topic by Jason and to aid in the quest for 50,000 by 4/28, please take a few minutes this morning to post your own personal mock draft.

Posted by: GM for a minute | April 19, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to add; If none of this happens, Take Landry @ #6. Okoye will not be on the redskins if he admitted to breaking the law. St Joe will not have it.

That also kills our idea to move down to get CJ (I am assuming that is the Johnson being talked about). Also another reason we should take Gaines

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

You know, that draft of Sean Taylor and "The Chosen One" reminds me of one of the things the 'Skins said after they chose Taylor. They had brought Johnathan Vilma in for a visit and asked him who the team leaders were on Miami and he named Taylor. Now, they had no intention of drafting Vilma, but they still got a piece of the puzzle they needed to make the right choice between two well-qualified players.

This speaks to one of JLaC's cheap shots on the 'Skins -- for bringing too many guys into Redskins Park for visits. In particular, they brought in Jamarcus Russell. Now, if you were thinking of drafting Landry, wouldn't you want to ask Jamarcus Russell how difficult it is to throw against Landry? Who would know better?

I've got to say, to my mind, I have nothing but praise for an owner who will spend the money to let his staff meet and talk to every player that can help them make a success of their draft. Circus? No way. Shrewd business practices.

Mind you, we still have other complaints, but this one was a cheap shot, Jason, and it was just not well thought through.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I was looking for a room full of nerds, did I come to the right place?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Gaines Adams was also on the ganja list, wasn't he?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"I was looking for a room full of nerds, did I come to the right place?

Posted by: | April 19, 2007 10:58 AM"

Well, now that you're here we probably qualify. Welcome. Make yourself right at home.

Posted by: kk | April 19, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Nerds?

Where is Ogre and Stan Gable when you need them?

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

If we take Gaines Adams, I think that will be a huge mistake. He's not that much faster than either Carriker, or Anderson, yet he's 30 pounds lighter than both of them. If he puts on weight he'll lose his speed. He'll get pushed around in the run game. Heck, take a look at Carrikers 3 cone time, and shuttle time, its right up there with most of the Cornerbacks times in those drills.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | April 19, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

GM, ask and you shall recieve

1. Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU --
2. Detroit: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson --
3. Cleveland: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
4. Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech --
5. Arizona: Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin --
6. Washington: LaRon Landry, S, LSU --
7. Minnesota: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
8. Atlanta: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
9. Miami: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State --
10. Houston: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan --
11. San Francisco: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
12. Buffalo: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
13. St. Louis: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
14. Carolina: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla.)
15. Pittsburgh: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
25. N.Y. Jets: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
26. Philadelphia: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami
27. New Orleans: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
28. New England: Ryan Kalil, C, USC
29. Baltimore: Anthony Spencer, LB/DE, Purdue
30. San Diego: Michael Griffin, S, Texas
31. Chicago: Jon Beason, OLB, Miami (Fla.)
32. **Indianapolis: Joe Staley, T, Central Michigan
RB Marshawn Lynch, OG Ben Grubbs, DE Charles Johnson and CB Marcus McCauley.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby - Home playoff games. That's the only logic I can think of why you keep renewing your season tickets...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor doesn't do pushups. He bench-presses the world.

Ahh, hasn't been any Reaper smack in a while. That felt good.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

If you couldnt tell, that is Kirwans Mock copied and pasted. I changed pick 6,7, 8, and 10.

I could really care less what the peeps behind us do. Since we dont have a 2nd or 3rd rounder, what they do will not impact us in the later rounds.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Masturbation is like procrastination

It seems lke a great idea at the time...but in the end, you're only screwing yourself

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Anderson: 6'5' 285lbs - 4.75 (40) 2.73 (20) 1.55 (10) - 4.22 shuttle - 6.88 cone

Carriker: 6'6' 295lbs - 4.72 (40) 2.70 (20) 1.58 (10) - 4.18 shuttle - 7.06 cone

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

etrod, my Sean-Taylor-as-Bullet comment was my implicit invitation to get you back posting. 60K by draft day!

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

#6DoubleEL--

No second or third? You've forgotten how things work out there.

I say we have at least a third, maybe a second, based on trading too much from next year's draft. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a virtual beer.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

" ... you can take one position of need where the player fits the pick (i.e. not trading up for Rocky considering he prolly would have been there if we had standed pat). ..."

- posted by the blogger formerly known as PDSquared

I had the same thought at the time. I was thinking and expecting the Skins to go for a different OLB, younger and ranked slightly higher than RockyMac, Thomas Howard from UTEP. I was suprised to see the Skins move for Rocky b/c I figured he would be there when they picked (and still think he would have been). Of course, Howard started 16 games for the Raiders #4 defense in 2006.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

41st!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor can do a wheelie on a unicyle.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

You can't double stamp a triple stamp...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Death once had a near Sean Taylor experience.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Mock drafts are important for some teams. Take the Redskins, for example. If there were no mock drafts, how would Vinny know which players to scout? Maybe the Ravens or Patriots can get by without mock drafts, but Vinny needs all the free help he can get.

Posted by: RC | April 19, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jim Mora voice... Playoffs????? PLAYOFFS????????

I hear what you're saying on playoff tickets, but then I remember that we've only had 1 home playoff game in like 16 years. Man, that is disgusting.

Speaking of that one playoff game vs. the Lions in 2000, I was in college back then and didn't have season tickets. You would assume that it would be close to impossible for a non-season ticket holder to get their hands on tickets to that game, especially since we hadn't had a playoff game in like 9 years... but low and behold, I drove down to the ticket office the morning tickets went on sale and bought 2 on the 50-yard line, upper level, half way up... for face value of course.

The more I argue, the more I look like a moron for keeping my tickets so I'll stop. The tailgating is great, but it's not like I have money to burn.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

etrod--

Well, I guess I hit the starter button. Keep it up. Do you make these up or do you copy them off a website somewhere?

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

How many dime bags does it take to get a pair of playoff tickets?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I would like to be able to exercise my draft method (hindsight) and say really found a couple gems in 6th and 7th. That is where we have really done zippo in long long time. again not talk'n bout rock cartright, nice player special teamer. think of it this way... what if rock had become our feature back and had churned out a consistent 1200-1500 seasons, now your talk'n. Other teams find guys who turn into that, once in awhile find a real impact player... we need to do that.

even with this FO I think the first round guy will be good (hoping for great) but lower we need to score.

Again Jason has said it, I agree, if and its a big if we ever get the execution of our strategy together... ie be completely aggressive FA's, trades, getting players anywhere anyhow, paying top dollar to coaches and players and executing the draft .... thats what the other owners fear because most won't or can't do that...our owner can and will. best combo in sports is to play for a winner and be overpaid.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

RB- That's too funny. I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard from the ticket office yet. Maybe they're bundling my 2 upper deck seats with 4 others to try to suck that guy into buying all six.
But you're right...it means nothing to be a season ticket holder anymore.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

RAIDERS - Calvin Johnson/WR GaTech
.Will pick up Culpepper from Fins to address QB
LIONS - Brady Quinn/QB Notre Dame
.Millen's head is on the block. Quinn gives them best chance to win now
BROWNS - Jamarcus Russell/QB LSU
.Savage gets his man
BUCS - Gaines Adams/DE Clemson
.Best DE available to replace Simeon Rice
CARDS - Joe Thomas/OT Wisconsin
.Whisenhunt hits the jackppot
SKINS - Laron Landry/S LSU
.Immediate help in the secondary

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sween;

That move was total Shabingus. Couldn't F-ing believe it. And since he did not crack the lineup until late in the year, it just proved my point further that he was not the 53rd best player in the draft, nor was he the 8th best LB in the draft.

But I guess 6 taken in the first round made our FO jump and say... move up or he might not be there... if he is not there then they should draft a different need.

I can see other players we could have used

36 New England Chad Jackson WR Florida
57 Chicago Devin Hester CB Miami
58 Carolina Richard Marshall CB Fresno State
59 Tampa Bay Jeremy Trueblood T Boston College
60 Jacksonville Maurice Jones-Drew RB UCLA
61 Denver Tony Scheffler TE Western

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It depends on my mood. The last 2 were copied from 4q.cc/chuck. I've been in an Exchange Administration class all week and my brain hurts to much to think of my own.

The whole thing got started by posting Chuck Norris facts. Then I belive it was dcsween who suggested substituting Sean Taylor for Chuck Norris and the hilarity began.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor would B-Slap Chuck Norris

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Etrod -- Exchange Administration?

As in "Etrod had a near-Exchange Administration experience?" Or "Etrod did an Exchange Administration on a unicycle?"

Glad it was you and not me.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

After he spit in his face...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

My One-Week Away Top 10 Draft:

1. Raiders: Russell
2. Falcons: Johnson
3. Cleveland: Quinn
4. Tampa Bay: Joe Thomas
5. Cardinals: Gaines Adams
6. Redskins: LaRon Landry
7. Minnesota: Adrian Peterson
8. Detroit: Okoye
9. Miami: Jamal Anderson
10. Houston: Levi Brown or Marshal Lynch

Posted by: The Governor | April 19, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Old School, given how 80% of the Skins' picks are on the second day, finding even ONE impact player would be good. I think Golston was either the last or second to the last guy picked by the Skins last year, and he seems like he is on his way up.

The thing about the Skins that would mask an impact player is that they don't seem to even allow late round/undrafted free agents to make the roster. I would have been real happy if Mike Espy made the active roster over, for example, the guy they kept and later traded for Rumph, but I think the Skins have some player evaluation inertia. I'm not confident that every guy is on equal footing on the practice field, esp. guys with bigger contracts like draft picks. Note that all but one of last year's picks is back on the roster since the off-season began.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor would Chuck Norris-Slap Chuck Norris.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Exchange Administration as in "etrod needs to find a new carreer path"

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 11:35 AM

Sorry thing is he may not crack the lineup this year either if he can't beat out Lemar Marshall. I personally think he won't be starting but will be used in certain packages. That Marcus McNeill at #50 was part luck, part genius.

Posted by: cdubb | April 19, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the QB list from the previous thread . . .yikes! Goes to show how many 'saviors' end up holding clipboards and then hawking astro turf.

Just to do my part for our Draft Day mission - what if the whole thing goes really topsy turvy and someone in top 5 picks TE Olsen? Who would and what would it mean?
Discuss.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Following up on my season ticket rant, I found this to be an amusing post on extremeskins...

I joined the wait list towards the end of 2005, and was way down the list. I called the premium seat office in November of 2006 just to inquire about the prices of club seats, but told them later I was no longer interested. I emailed the ticket office in December to ask how long it would be, and they told me about 3 years. Less than 48 hours later I received an email stating that my name had come up from the waiting list. That totally came out from nowhere. I am sure they have some way of knowing who is serious about buying season tickets and target them first.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Mary-Kate or Ashley?

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Olsen/TE isn't top 5 talented. No way that scenario happens. Read somewhere that this draft only has 5-6 players worth drafting in the top 10. If so, plenty of teams will be looking to move up early. Skins are in prime position to deal.

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Redskins season tix are like these stupid Nintendo and Playstation bundles. To get what you want (i.e. possible shot at playoff tickets and video game console) you need to pay for things they know they wouldn't be able sell otherwise (i.e. pre-season tickets and their lousey video games).

Posted by: BT | April 19, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

#6DoubleEL, can't say I agree with you...if Calvin Johnson is available when the Skins pick, Gibbs will select him...weed or no weed. He could be baked and Gibbs would still pick him.

Posted by: Lisa | April 19, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Merlin?

Did someone order flowers?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

My two cents

1. Raiders: Russell
2. Tampa: Johnson
3. Cleveland: Quinn
4. Detroit: Gaines Adams
5. Cardinals: Joe Thomas
6. Atlanta - Okoye
7. Minnesota: L Landry
8. Redskins: Anderson
9. Miami: Branch
10. Houston: Peterson

Susan Olsen? aka Cindy Brady

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

No way we draft Susan Olsen...Kitty Caryall is her agent.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Lisa;

If he fell to 6, I agree with you. But I doubt that now they will trade up to get him. That was the point I was trying to make.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

DCSween- I'm 100% w/ you on your previous Espy comment. Was he a rookie last year or was that his second crack at trying to make the team? If it's the latter, that makes the whole BLloyd thing even more frustrating. And don't even mention Taylor Jacobs...In hindsight, ofcourse.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

On top of which everyone knows when it gets rough you want Jan Brady cause she has the whole middle child syndrome.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

sfskin,

The only problem with Jan is getting the helmet to fit over her black wig.

I'm holding out hope that we pick Johnny Bravo...'cause he fits the suit, man!

This 'character guy' thing is a sham. St. Joe wants the best players, period. It doesn't matter if he free-basses puppies; if we have the chance, we'll jump up to take CJ.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

D7, Espy was an undrafted rookie. I think he was on the practice squad for the full season.

sfskin, Mrs. dcsween and I are expecting another girl ... I'm very anxious about my (current) toddler facing a lifetime of Jan Bradydom.

everybody else, new post! beep beep!

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Funny how the same people in the media blast the Redskins for not having many picks in this year's draft are the same exact people who are saying how weak this year's draft class is.
Do you think, I mean is it possible, that our FO actually had the foresight to realize this would be a weak draft class so we might as well trade picks for established players?

Posted by: Diesel | April 19, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

dc

I look at another way our late round picks can't play not only for us... but for anybody cause after we cut'em they go bag groceries.

The best impact guys drafted late all have "stories" awesome stats but from a D2 school, played basketball but played and stared in football as a high schooler, was a college qb but is a great talent etc . I think more often than not the skins have said we need to draft a linebacker so they take one or a te or whatever... no creativity (no scouting ?)

I will give you 2 examples where they did a good job and where creative. Stephen Davis 4th rd. He was a preseason heisman canadate comming off a stellar jr season. auburn changed O coor. in the offseason becomming more of a passing team. davis stats fall off. skins pick maybe 1st rd talent in rd 4.

B.mitch is second ex. college QB small school not going to be pro Qb . But anyone watching tape on this guy could see what he was "a football player" firey, combative, leadership, an asskicker.Teams passed on him because they didn't see what we saw, they only saw small college QB who ain't gonna be an NFL QB.

You need (my opinion 3 things) to get more out of the bottom of the draft/undrafted.

1. Stable coaching that has set a clear direction for the team. its who you are.therefore knowing who you are you know the kind of player to look for ..ie who fits in with us and the way we play.

2. scouting/talent evaluators to recomend said people from the pool of all avaiable talent.

3. A person to pull the trigger, who from the info avaiable makes the best fit for "what we do here"

Joe gibbs is the man for #'s 1 and 3.

#2 is the problem.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I know most of you think we will go for Landry, but a smart defensive player excels in Grilliams schemes...Pierce! No one (all players included) are as smart as Okoye. Accepted to Harvard at 16. Graduate from Louisville at 19!!! This is a prime opportunity we need to seize..and size!! If we had a defense like Buddy Ryan's (who may be the best defensive mind the NFL has seen in the last 20 years) smarts would be less of a factor.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, Can we plase stop posting comments and questions to JLC? We all know he does not read the blog, only count the entries. It like a bunch of unloved children looking for their absent fathers approval....sad really. Don't you think Jason!?!?!?

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

now remember my draft method is based on something that I call hindsight. since I am not a GM, I feel this a proven and effective method. i also understand that Gm's and those acting in that capacity can't use my proven talent evaluation method and must instead operate completely in the now.

with that my untrained and largely uneducated guess for a draft gem is Michael Bush (probbale first round rb)broken leg first game (story)

Not say'n.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Old School, I also like the re-packaging of college position studs upon entry to the NFL. QBs to WRs (Randel El). Big WRs/FBs to TEs (don't have a name here, but it must have happened). Utility "DBs" to WRs (Mike Furrey).

Question: At what position would you play 6'0" Heisman winning QB, Troy Smith.

MrSpartan (user of the first person plural "we"), Jason told me he reads ... or at least skims, depending on the day ... the entire blog. Also, don't think people THINK the Skins will draft Landry as much as WANT them too.

Now when are you going to start doing what you're name says and start defending Spartan alum, Lemar Marshall? Any other good MSU grads the Skins should go for? Trannon for TE?

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Old School, as usual you are a voice of uncommon wisdom in this wilderness of wild and silly speculation.

Damn, I hope we get some things right this offseason.

I know we won't know ultimate outcomes from the draft as of next Sunday evening -- a couple of seasons for the draftees will generate the necessary hindsight -- but I bet we'll have a sense whether the front office is paying attention to the stuff we think they ought to be...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Jason did read the blog, at least the first 30-40 entries. I've seen him call people out for over-the-top personal assaults (and some under-the-top ones as well). He's actually better than a lot of people about responding to questions. Aren't you Jason?

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, Spartan, I think a bunch of us have e-mailed Jason and had great conversations with him off the blog.

He really digs this stuff, this community of blog peeps, and he really care about maintaining this dialogue as much as he can. That's my experience anyway.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason doesn't respond to the stuff that has already been discussed, answered and/or too speculative or otherwise impossible to answer.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

8. Atlanta: Amobi Okoye
9. Miami: Levi Brown
10. Houston: Darrelle Revis
11. San Francisco: Patrick Willis
12. Washington: Jamaal Anderson

Posted by: profootballtalk | April 19, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the typos in my previous blog entries. My tears from lack of attention must have made my fingers slip. Thank you all for your kind responses on behalf of our DEAR LEADER. (Is it me or does Jason's blog picture and smile remind you a little of the other leader based in Pyongyang? Just a thought.) In regards to he MSU Spartans who need some attention, I would love to see us draft Drew Stanton if he were available. (not at 6 mind you but a later round...not likely) and i happen to think Trannon will make a nice TE or WR in the NFL, just not a need we have right now. I like the Center, Clifton Ryan and expect him to be drafted and Marshall does need my defense. Sween, you have been lloking for a punter, Brandon Fields a 2 time all-american punter from MSU is available this draaft as well.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"... Pyongyang? ...

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 02:28 PM"

That best, most heroic, beneficient leader has big square glasses, so that was a reach.

If I were picking glasses, I think that mine would look like that.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I too think Trannon is an interesting prospect, although I doubt a receiving TE is in the skins plans

Posted by: Jon | April 19, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

LL has the size and speed of bust corner rogers. with springs and smoot at cb's why not put rogers in the safety spot instead of LL. If you draft LL then that means Rogers, a high first round pick, is our nickel back? why dont we draft a solid dime corner with this pick to solidify our 3rd and long and prevent defenses LMAO

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

i think that on draft day were gonna do sothing so crazy- nobody suspected taylor we thoght winslow nobody suspected rodgers we thought williams and Campbell? i like him now but then i was all wat about ramsey i mean i knew we were gonna get ROCKY but wach somthin crazy will happen like trading down to get JARRET who i like he may be slow but look wat he does on the feild. im 13

Posted by: that guy | April 19, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

My take? I think, given Gibbs history, and given that he seems to have finally reined in Danny the Geek this year to some extent ....

1. Gibbs wants CJ. He is a game breaker. He can get you to the playoffs. He can make your young QB all-pro.

2. Alternatively Gibbs probably wants more picks. As many as possible as high as possible. The more picks the better chance you will have of finding someone who can make a difference if not an impact.

3. Gibbs will likely pick Landry at #6. After CJ he would likely meke the most impact on this team. Hopefully Grilliams has learned that its not about his system its about talent, inspiring and motivating it, making players believe. Being loyal to your players. Then you can sell the system. Any system is about adapting the system to the talent you have and not vice-versa. Gibbs learned that lesson his very first year coaching when he tried to pretend Theismann was Dan Fouts. That he had something SD did not. Joe Washington and John Riggins.

Posted by: periculum | April 19, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | April 19, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | April 19, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

i would be with either laundry,okoye,anderson or trade down but not up

Posted by: dwcrabill | April 19, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Well the are never no know he hats you with her utes [url=http://bakewarekit.tripod.com/chicago-metallic-bakeware.html]chicago metallic bakeware [/url] Because and air thin you objects by wasn so lady
Mary as to bakeware it hair wet hated sky until he saved [url=http://bakewarekit.tripod.com/all-clad-bonded-bakeware.html]all clad bonded bakeware [/url] Just as he anyway if know run in hundred

Posted by: TeddyCook | April 28, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Best sites! You must visit my site Rolex Replica Jalse
Rolex Replica
http://cleveland.indymedia.org/news/2007/02/24520.php Free MP3

Posted by: Cheap Rolex Replica | April 29, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://www.eas.asu.edu/~sdmlab/ELinksBip/Questionnaire/689967.html]BUY FLUOXETINE[/url], [url=http://www.eas.asu.edu/~sdmlab/ELinksBip/Questionnaire/519367.html]BUY AVANDIA[/url] all counts,
anxiety meds, pain meds, sleep aid Ambien and more.
Now ships all states & worldwide!

Thx... ;)