Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 12/29/2010

Graham Gano named NFC special teams player of the week

By Jason Reid

Place kicker Graham Gano has been named the NFC special teams player of the week for his performance in the Redskins' overtime victory against Jacksonville, the NFL announced Wednesday.

On a cold and windy day, Gano made a 31-yard field goal with 12 minutes 13 seconds remaining in the extra session to cap Redskins' a 20-17 victory at EverBank Field. He also had a 48-yard field goal in the first quarter and was perfect on two point-after attempts.

"That's just what I look to do every week," Gano said. "Do my job out there, make my kicks, so it feels good."

The Redskins have remained supportive of the young, strong-legged kicker during his growing pains this season, and Gano was pleased to play a major role in only the Redskins' second victory since Oct. 24.

"It means a lot," Gano said. "After a couple of weeks ago, the Tampa Bay game, it's good to come back and show everybody what I can do. I couldn't do it without the rest of the guys."

The former Florida State standout also kicked game-winners in overtime against Green Bay and Tennessee. Against the Jaguars, Gano continued to perform well on kickoffs. Jacksonville's average starting field position was its 23-yard line - 4.4 yards below its season average.

In his second season in the NFL, Gano, 23, has missed 10 field goal attempts. The Redskins conducted a kicking tryout at Redskins Park after Gano missed two of three attempts during a 17-16 loss to Tampa Bay in Week 14.

The Redskins did not sign a place kicker but punter Hunter Smith was released. Gano is confident he could help the Redskins succeed long term.

By Jason Reid  | December 29, 2010; 3:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers sits out practice
Next: Statistical analysis: Donovan McNabb wasn't responsible for Redskins' offensive woes

Comments

Good for him. Way to stay with it.

Posted by: edvar | December 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

He also seems to have a calming effect on the current offensive coordinator -- who appears more than willing to support Rex by calling plays that are somewhat better suited to his individual skills -- which some might regard as a welcome improvement over forcing other players to change and adapt their heretofore highly successful playing skills to execute Kyle’s unassailable system.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 29, 2010 3:37 PM |

BS the plays are the same and again i ask you how do you know that KS wasn't calling plays for DM5.

I have an example the shovel pass thats not in KS's playbook yet they ran that with DM5 because he ran it all the time in Philly. I haven't seen Rex get the play call and I didn't see it early in the season.

What are DM5 strengths rollouts those were called for him all the time, screen passes those have been called to much in my mind.

Dude just admit that DM5 was playing bad and got benched stop hating, you know that the offense has looked better the last two weeks especially in the red zone.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

PF: No on Cam Newton. He doesn't play in a pro-style offense, he's only had one solid year, and there is still quite a bit to be learned about him. He's been dominant this year because he's bigger and more mobile than most of the opposition, but playing in the big leagues where the majority of the guys are big and mobile will diminish the attributes that have contributed most greatly to his current success.

The key to success as an NFL QB is the ability to read a defense and make quick, wise decisions. Cam Newton hasn't been in enough situations yet that test his abilities in this area.

The best fit for him will be a team with a solid starter already in place, where he can come in and be a backup for three years and learn to be an NFL QB.

He doesn't fit the mold of what the Redskins need.

As for Webb being a preview of Cam Newtwon, there is very little film on Webb, to date. New QBs often have early success because opponents haven't yet had a chance to study them and their tendencies. I was cheering him on last night and thoroughly enjoyed watching the Eagles get beat down, but wait until next year when teams have had a chance to study Webb, and see if he's able to have the same amount of success then (assuming the Vikes make him their #1).

Posted by: freakzilla | December 29, 2010 3:31 PM |

I'm going to push back on your statement regarding no on Cam Newton. The guy would have erased history regarding Tebow had he not been expelled from UF. So, all he did was go to a middle of the road JuCo and single handedly win their national championship before landing at Auburn. He has shown he can make EVERY throw, accurately by the way. He's completing passes at a ridiculous 70% clip. His QB rating this year is 188. One-freaking-eighty-eight! He's won a ton of games and mostly because of him and not other players.

So the dude doesn't play in a pro-style offense? B-F-D!

Heath Schuler played a pro-style offense, how'd that work out. Jimmy Clausen played a pro-style offense at ND. You want him? I don't. This kid has every tool and if you get him on board and learning the system for at least a full year, WATCH OUT.

The thing is, the 'Skins aren't going to be good next year and maybe even the year after that. The only 3 QB's the Skins CANNOT pass on are Luck - who won't be there - Newton and Mallet. Locker is another Matt Linart, screw him. When a stud QB stays in college they way those 2 did, it's because they know they can't play and still have some delusion that they'll improve with one more year.

If Newton is there when they 'Skins are on the clock, he's going to be picked.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"I believe there is tension between Donovan and Kyle that's rooted in the fact that Donovan has suggested modifications to Kyle's offense based on intricacies Donovan has learned in his NFL career," McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith III, said in a recent statement to Redskins beat reporters and national NFL writers.

"For example, Donovan has asked all year that the team run more screen passes to help manage the pass rush more effectively. Ironically, Kyle decided to employ Donovan's suggestions after he unceremoniously benched him on Sunday."

Posted by: Vic1 | December 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

A lot of mock's have Newton going to the Cardinals at 6. Not sure I believe that if they draft another QB that high after the bust they had a few years ago that will not look good.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 29, 2010 3:37 PM |

======
true.. DM5 wasnt Kyle's pick. And Kyle never adjusted his Offense to DM5. He wanted DM to learn and adapt to his System. Kyle pretty much admitted this after yanking DM5 in the Lions game. Great coaches adapt to the strengths of their inherited personnel and Kyle never bothered.. He just waited until the season was lost and he could justify starting his QB he brought with him.
DM5 was in a no-win situation.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 29, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:53 PM

Will your personal chef prepare the steaks in your Georgetown townhouse? Or will you pile us into you solid gold German luxury car and ferry us all to Morton's? And will the reservation be under "Personal_Fowl" or your off-line moniker, "completely_broke_fagg0t?"

Posted by: MrChip1 | December 29, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, mmm, steak.

(and crow)

Which of the Qbs will best fit the Shanahan offense?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 29, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 29, 2010 3:57 PM |

That must be the truth since DM5's agent said it I mean why would he have any reason to lie.

It's already been talked about all over the radio that since the Detroit game screen passes have been called numerous times so again you are wrong.

There were no more screen passes called in the last two games then in the previous games since the Detroit game.

Anything else?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrChip1 | December 29, 2010 4:01 PM |

I laughed my balls off at this one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Good for Graham, I really do hope he can lock down the position.

That said, mustve been a slow week for him to win it with two fgs

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:53 PM

Posted by: MrChip1 | December 29, 2010 4:01 PM |

I stand by my words. We can hit the corner of Conn. & S and go to Ruth's Chris. My ride is black of course and the pen-name I use is always the name of my fantasy football team. That said, I might give one of the servers the $100-handshake to drop a 500 degree serving skillet in your lap.

Dude, you sounded like you were describing Slim Chin from the Derek Rose commercial.

"..wanna know how I got this cheetah? My benjamin piiiiiile? My sky whip? Cause I'm faaaaaaaaaaaast."

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

DM5 was in a no-win situation.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 29, 2010 3:59 PM

Again I call BS Kyle never said that and DM5 was in an easy situation play better be able to score TD's in the red zone and you would still be playing.

I can't believe you people are acting like McNabb was playing great this year.

KS should have to change his entire offense for one player, right because I'm sure all OC do that.

Looks to me like Cutler is running Mike Martz offense well in Chicago, he didn't need to have it change for him.

Mcnabb should be able to learn an offense and this offesne plays to his strengths throw the ball deep.

He missed numerous easy throws.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I wanna go

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 29, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

You know who had similar numbers:

69.6%, 2700 yds, 172 Rating, 20TDs to 7 picks, 13 sacks...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 29, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As I reflect on this disappointing season, this team was truly in shambles when it was given to Mike Shanahan.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 29, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I wanna go

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 29, 2010 4:17 PM |

Head of the table my man. We can all revel in your stories of holding in a deuce for days on end.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The thing is, the 'Skins aren't going to be good next year and maybe even the year after that. The only 3 QB's the Skins CANNOT pass on are Luck - who won't be there - Newton and Mallet. If Newton is there when they 'Skins are on the clock, he's going to be picked. Book me and save the post. If I'm wrong, I'll take the entire forum to a steak dinner.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree on Luck and Newton, I'm not a fan of Locker or Mallet. Unforutnatley, we have no chance at Luck, and probably not at Newton, either - if we can't get either of them, my picks in the 1st and 2nd would be BPA from 3-4 OLB, Center, NT, or WR, and look for our QB of the future in 2012.

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

The defense wasn't in shambles when Shanny took over. It is in total disarray now. Shanny is going to switch back to the 4-3 after he cuts Haynesworth.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 29, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 4:23 PM |

Agreed, stamped, co-signed and hell-yeah'd!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

NFL HCs who lost their job or could lose it:

1. Wad Phillips
2. Chilly
3. Pants
4. McDick
5. Major Tom
6. John Fox
7. Jeff Fisher
8. Norbit Turner
9. Mangenius
10. Tony Soprano
11. Cubiak
12. Cable Guy
13. Marvin Lewis

Names on everybody's replacement list:

1. Gruden
2. Cowher
3. Harbaugh (Jim)
4. Farts (Mike)

Guys who will live to fight another day:

1. Jeff Fisher
2. John Fox
3. Marvin Lewis
4. Cubiak

Guys who won't:

1. Wad
2. Pants
3. Major Tom
4. Cable Guy
5. McDick

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"I stand by my words. We can hit the corner of Conn. & S and go to Ruth's Chris. My ride is black of course and the pen-name I use is always the name of my fantasy football team"

Insecure....check

Little mans disease.....check

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 29, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Good for Gano. That 48-yarder was an especially nice kick, given the conditions.

Glad they didn't get the hook out for him after some of his earlier struggles. It would be nice to have a long-term, solid kicker. When I think of Redskins kickers, I think of Mark Moseley and Chip Lohmiller, and after that it's just a blur.

PF, if you're right and the Skins take Newton, and he's able to help produce Ws, then I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

If Newton is there when they 'Skins are on the clock, he's going to be picked.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 3:52 PM |

Newt is a QB in an extremely athletic TE body. Ditto Tebow in a less athletic body and he seems to be working out okay. Vick is a QB in a water bug's body and the Jints are still waking up in the middle of the night screaming two weeks after. Still ...

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,

your boy Kyle is the one who needs and adjustment. Martz did adjust his scheme. This is why Cultler hasn't had a concussion in ten weeks.

McNabb hasn't been great but last week's production was typical from Kyle Sh. Redskin offense - 17 points, false starts on 3rd and 2, dropped passes, 50% completion rate, timeouts to avoid delay of game, qb checkdowns, etc. The qb changed but the offense was typical. Maybe it is more than the qb.

Maybe we shouldn't give these guys another qb since they spent two picks on one already.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 29, 2010 4:25 PM |

The defense was not good last year i don't care how many yards a game they gave up, they couldn't get off the field on 3rd down and they were terrible in the 4th quarter.

The defense has not been great this year but if they were going to make the change they had to do it this year, so that they could see who could play and who couldn't.

The defence will be much improved next year where as if they had stayed with the 4-3 this year we would still have the same record (actually worse because we have produced more turnovers in the 3-4) and we would have to switch next year and have these same problems all over again.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it yet again...

Luck, Newton, and possibly Mallett will be off the board when we select somewhere between 12-17.

Say hello to Jake Locker in the 1st or Ponder/Devlin in the 2nd.

Enough of the Newton talk. If we're trading up then the only guy worth it would be Luck at #1.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

red

If this is really some evaluation period, then shouldn't Beck be in there taking snaps this coming Sunday?

I love rhetorical questions as they answer themselves.

But when you think about it, there is no answer for this one.

John Beck should get playnig time this weekend.

Shouldn't he?

(oops: anuther question that answers itself.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

This is why Cultler hasn't had a concussion in ten weeks.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 29, 2010 4:40 PM |

Does the NFC central lead the league in QB conks? Favre, Cutler and Rodgers (multiple). What about Staff? Has he been conked? I know he has been injured but don't know if he was conked.

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Beck shouldn't get any time. Sure, it's an evaluation, but the guy came in late to camp - due to the trade - and has only had snaps with the scout team this season until last week. Not ready. Last thing coach wants is to put a guy out there that won't look good.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Posted by: bangkokben | December 29, 2010 4:40 PM |

Kyle did the same thing Martz did call more screen passes thats not changing an offesne thats calling plays to help the o-line. Rollouts do that as well and those have been called all year.

Sure the trade was terrible but you don't keep Mcnabb just because of it that makes it worse. Mcnabb was not the QB of the future wich you still need because Rex is not that guy either.

Shanny's offesne can produce points when run properly as Houston showed the last two years, it will take time to get the players in place.

DM5 has not played well this season thats the bottom line, he will be gone anyway so I'm through talking about him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 4:49 PM |

Luck may not be on the board to begin with. He's a junior and if you were him would you look forward to being drafted by the woebegotten Panthers?

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Personal_Fowl = feeble resistance

Posted by: hessone | December 29, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:58 PM

The only guy that stayed and still went #1 was some guy named Manning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrChip1 | December 29, 2010 4:01 PM |

I laughed my balls off at this one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 4:04 PM
---------------------------
very funny MrChip1

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 29, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

TERPS are going to send the ACC coach of the year out with a WIN.

I'm looking forward to seeing them carry him off the field.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:54 PM

No, Shanahans offense produces yards. Historically, it ranks in the to1p five or ten in yards - always every year it is not as high in points. In one year Denver and Houston were 3 and 2 in yards; 18 and 17 in points.

But maybe with the right qb those yards could be converted to points. Or it's the guys calling running plays at 3rd and goal from the 6.

I keep bring that up because Shanahan didn't want McNabb to (suck seed) since the Detroit game.

Where has the running game gone in the last two weeks. Had we run it a bit more against Dallas, maybe we wouldn't have been down my so much.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 29, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

TERPS are going to send the ACC coach of the year out with a WIN.

I'm looking forward to seeing them carry him off the field.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

...or at least a player can drive him off the field in one of the golf carts.

Anyhow, if I'm Danny O'Brien, I've got to be feeling pretty excited at the idea of having Mike Leach come in.

O'Brien is a legit QB prospect, and Leach found a way to make Graham Harrell (who is currently waiting tables at Applebee's) look like a Heisman contender.

O'Brien could light it up over the next couple seasons in a Leach system...whether he'd be ready for the NFL is another question.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

And I don't know who this Dominique Davis guy is for ECU, but he's attempted 42 passes and they aren't even out of the 3rd quarter.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse
---------
Promise??

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 5:19 PM

JuCo transfer. He's responsible for the 2nd highest % of team TDs behind only Cam Newton.

Rich Rod has enter the discussion along with Gus Malzahn (Auburn's OC), Locksley, Connecticut's Edsal, and June Jones (who's pulled out).

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

SoS. Living out here near SD I can guarantee you Norval ain't going nowhere.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Props to the skins for fighting it out with reserves in jax.

Ginas going to try to pound it out and play action.

Hope Haslet can come up w something to slow the run at little revenge would be nice.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 29, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 4:58 PM

He's a smart kid so he won't pull a Locker and stay another year and go from #1 to #12-#20. The only guy that stayed and still went #1 was some guy named Manning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Bradford stay, then miss almost his whole senior season due to injury (in his throwing shoulder, no less), and still go #1? I could see Luck staying in school another year, especially with the labor uncertainty clouding the NFL picture.

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonder who is going to snap up the Fridge next season. UMD is never going to be a football school; Would love to see him where he could recruit something other than decent O linemen and the occasional LB who doesn't want to be pigeon-holed at Linebacker U.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 29, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 5:48 PM

Except there might be a rookie wage scale in 2012..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Except there might be a rookie wage scale in 2012..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:54 PM |

I'm pretty sure there will be one in 2011!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

That's what I was thinking...they need to figure out the CBA before the 2011 season, or it doesn't happen, right? Does that mean guys drafted in April 2011 still get contracts based on the prior open market, or do they hold off on signing them until after the new CBA is finalized?

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The only guy that stayed and still went #1 was some guy named Manning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:03 PM |

Dude - I know you mind is weighed down with thoughts of the Terps carrying lard boy off the field on their shoulders, but if you recall you said yourself in an earlier post that Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning, so ... . He certainly is a lot better than and has proved a lot more than Locker room.

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Bradford left after his JR year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Bradford left after his JR year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 6:02 PM |

He had to. He couldn't risk another shoulder injury. Plus the Rams have a lot more talent than the Panthers and a good coach.

Posted by: SonOfStan | December 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 29, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, UM will always be Garyland first and foremost. The DC area is a basketball hotbed at the high-school and college level first, then football.

I'm sure Fridge will do alright for himself, though. Overall the feeling is that he did not reach expectations set out for the program, but he's leaving it in a much better place than it was when he started out.

Over the years he's been able to find/groom some players that have gone pretty high in the draft and/or done well for themselves as pros, even if he didn't have team alot of team success in the ACC overall.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen, Haslett, Shanny and his little boy must go.

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | December 29, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen, Haslett, Shanny and his little boy must go.

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | December 29, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

DaRell Scott and DJ Adams are destroying ECU.

Between the 2 of them - 236 yards and 6TDs on only 26 carries.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen, Haslett, Shanny and his little boy must go.

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | December 29, 2010 6:15 PM |

Thanks for that now would you please go.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected... Bradford won the Heisman as a red-shirt sophmore (what Luck is now), and elected to return for his Junior year. He then got injured, but still managed to be the 1st overall pick in an admittedly very weak QB class (Tebow and Clausen were the only other two QBs even considered as possbile first rounders in that draft).

Posted by: PDXskin | December 29, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I expect Shanahan to go out and get 10 to 15 UFAs this offseason. 400+ UFAs with 6 years of experience or less right?

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Just watched some highlights from last nights game. Said it night and I'll say it again, Joe Webb looked pretty good. I like that kid.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

John Beck will get plenty of playing time on Sunday after the Skins amass a huge lead and the Giants lay down. That should be around the middle of the third quarter.

Book it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

The only guy that stayed and still went #1 was some guy named Manning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse
_______

I've said for 2 months that Luck isn't coming out. He's very smart, is in a real degree program at Stanford, not a bogus recruited athlete major, and wants his degree. Dad is a wealthy lawyer (and former NFL QB) who was president of NFL Europe and is now AD at UWV, so the family doesn't need the income, and both father and son fully understand the CBA/work stoppage issues better than most. I'd bet another steak dinner that Luck would rather stay at Stanford another year and graduate get another year of seasoning w/ Harbaugh than jump into an uncertain future where he might not take a snap for 12 months and not have a degree. His Dad understands very well how NFL QBs should be developed for the long term. I don't think he'll let his son come out this year.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

How many Heisman trophy winning QBs have won SBs? How many Heisman winning QBs are in the HOF?

And finally how many Heisman winning players have won a SB?

Forget Cam Newton. And Flounder 21 whats wrong lose at pocket pool again punk!

Posted by: sheepherder | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

We had a great kicker not too long ago. His name was David Akers. "Automatic" Akers is now playing in his ninth postseason for the Eagles in the past 12 seasons as well as his fifth Pro Bowl.

Here's to hoping Graham succeeds.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Just about the first article about a Redskin all year to put a smile on my face.

Great headline, too. A bit ouchy after last week, but oh well.

Posted by: farstriker | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM

It would be kinda funny if Carolina canned Fox and hired Harbaugh. Bet i know what the first pick would be then.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

So the new rumor is Jeff Fischer to Dallas. Gay.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

And finally how many Heisman winning players have won a SB?

Forget Cam Newton. And Flounder 21 whats wrong lose at pocket pool again punk!

Posted by: sheepherder | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM |
---------------

I believe jim plunkett was one

Posted by: hessone | December 29, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Jason, vic,

They don't have enough draft picks to waste on one guy who probably will NOT your "franchise" QB. Its becoming
wearying watching the Ravens make due with the QB's that were
more often than not inferior to the Skins. Yet they manage to finish in the hunt almost annually.

This is a good year to peruse the free agent market. Guys like Alex Smith might be available. Michael Vick is available. look what risking on that guy brought the Eagles?

With the paucity of draft picks you have to draft more guys who can play on the o-line and the d-line. They can fill some holes with FA's but in the end you have to fill the big ones with draft picks.

If they draft a QB and he fails? Like Ramsay, Schuler and Frerotte? Or just doesn't fit in DC like Campbell and now McNabb?

Any decent QB can be successful behind a good line. If he has a great defense his errant throws won't be so glaring.

Posted by: periculum | December 29, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

So Wade Phillips may go across the state and be defensive coordinator for Houston. Hmmmm...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I wanna go

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 29, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Shabingas! Nate, are you coming east for this?

Posted by: frediefritz | December 29, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Becks>Beck

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 29, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Gano got the award. Shouldn't it have gone to our holder?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

The D. Hall idiots are just haters...no wait..

The D.Hall haters are just idiots!

Dude made the Pro Bowl. Is our most dynamic playmaker on defense.

Oh and for you idiot haters who try an discount the Pro Bowl.

1/3-Coaches vote
1/3-Player vote
1/3-Fan vote

That is why the Pro Bowl still matters idiot haters.

Posted by: pabrian2008 | December 29, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

deez, are you that carlson dude on fox? i f king with you man! ohh btw...i would bet my bottom dollar on the iggles to win it all today! buy low sell high! this is the lowest their stock is going to be all year!

so where can i make this bet online/over the phone? is it legal?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 29, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

What if we draft linemen and they fail like Chad Rhinehart, Mo Eliwinbi, and Jim Molinaro did?

We drafted Stephon Heyer, is his play good enough to warrant drafting another lineman?

Didn't we draft a defensive lineman named Bobby Taylor or was it Anthony Montgomery?

They failed, so why draft another defensive lineman?

What if we add a center and guard in FA to add to the linemen we added last year to play in front of the quarterback we draft this year who, in 2 seasons, winds up playing like Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan do?

You mention Mike Vick without acknowledging that once he was a high pick.

And every playoff bound team but KC/Jags is led by a high drafted q-back.

Look, wudda, cudda, shudda, and what-about-the-guy-who-failed-back-in-the-day? is a slippery philosophy for acquiring talent for any professional sports team.

What you do is evaluate the process you use to assess the players you want to add to the team.

Shuler was wanted by the owner, not the coach, the coach who wanted Ramsey wanted to fit a silly offensive system, and Campbell's play in Oakland is enough to make you say kicking him aside in light of Grossman/McNabb was dumb.

Just as dumb as saying we shouldn't draft what we need--a young passer--because of failures caused by people who are no longer with the team.

Move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

This is why we offer: THE TRADE

Washington trades Donovan McNabb and the 2012 5TH rounder to the cardinals to flip from picks 12-17 to assume the cards #6 pick in 2011.

The cards move down to picks 12-17 and get McNabb plus a 2012 pick

With the number 6 pick in 2011, the skins then have better choices:

Mallett

Locker

Fairley

Newton

Why wouldn't you do this if you are either D.C. or AZ?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't you do this if you are either D.C. or AZ?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:09 PM

Arizona is not trading anything for McNabb. No one is. This guy is done as an NFL starter.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 29, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha!

Is this why the Colts' offense always sparkled with Jim Sorgi running it while Peyton chilled on the sidelines?

How did this idea work in Carolina for Jake Delhomme the last three years?

So you can take Brady out, and the PATS' offense will keep grindin', right?

And Jay Cutler's performance behind a crappy line in Chi-Town is a fluke, right?

Aaron Rodgers solid play behind a poor line in Green Bay is another fluke we fail to acknowledge.

Kyle Boller and J Flacco played the same way behind the same ravens' offensive line, too, didn't they?

Ha!

Let's draft a gunslinger.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Shabingas! Nate, are you coming east for this?

Posted by: frediefritz | December 29, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I will then treat the community to shots at the Royal Palace.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 29, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy Whisenhunt going for McNabb for a New York minute.

McNabb will inevitably start to lose his wheels over the next few years, leaving his accuracy and decision making... well... you see where this is going.

I see McNabb as having two solid years in the maroon and black barring a lockout, meaning we'll be targeting a QB in 2012. I think we are too far away from giving a rookie an above average chance to succeed, and believe that this staff and McNabb will find a way to hold it together for a couple of years.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 29, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

This guy (McNabb) is done as an NFL starter.

I dunno.

I think someone will look at McNabb's performance in D.C.--almost a 4,000 yard passing year--with no line and mediorce targets, and say:

"Beanie Wells, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, our good line--Donnie will play for us like he did in Philly were he finished with the team in the playoffs."

"Plus, we're in the NFC West were 9 wins will get you a title!"

"Every big name guy who goes to the redskins fails and does better later--look at Jason Taylor and Brandin Lloyd!"

"C'mon, Mr. Bidwell--pull dat trigga!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy Whisenhunt going for McNabb for a New York minute.

You are aware that the cards could still draft a future starter if they move down to picks 12-17, don't you?

You're letting your feelings about McNabb cloud your judgement.

A solid vet in AZ might be seen in the same way Kurt Warner was a few years ago.

And how did a washed up from the Giants Kurt Warner work out for the cards?

McNabb in a system geared to what he does best is better than McNabb in D.C. where Kyle Zornahan wouldn't fit his system to Donnie's talents.

Whisenhunt will tailor the cards to McNabb.

Like I said: it's a trade that should happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:32 PM

No way. Andy Reid gave up on the guy. Shanahan invested big and gave up on the guy. Everyone in the league knows that he doesn't have it anymore and all they have to do is look at game film and stack that up with his inability to learn an offense. You think some coach is going to say, "Well, my offense is so easy that even Donovan McNabb can learn it."?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 29, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

No one has mentioned that the Skins were the only NFC East team to win this past week. How come? How far back in time to you have to go to find when the last time this happened? Were one of the shrubs in the WH? Christ Almighty.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | December 29, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

You're letting your feelings about McNabb cloud your judgement.

And how did a washed up from the Giants Kurt Warner work out for the cards?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

So... if we are swapping McNabb to move up and get a QB when we could stay where we are and get 'Zona's QB of the future... why wouldn't we do that?

BTW, Warner's career had a 5 year stretch in STL, NYG, and 'Zona where he was awful/held together by spit and Elmers glue.

I just don't see the need to pull the rip cord on Shanahan's QB plan after one year. And I definitely don't understand what the McNabb camp has to gain by playing in meaningless games. What if the 'Gina's rolled him up like a burrito? For all the disrespect cards getting played, whose to say Shanahan isn't protecting his investment.

Grossman is a free agent after the season, so even that angle makes sense. Do you want to offer him another short term deal and risk losing a #2 you trust? Or does he suck and we let him walk? Or is he just a solid #2 QB who we want to sign to a 3 year deal?

I just don't see the signs of the Shanahan's dumping on McNabb just because he didn't have a Pro Bowl season. Yeah, they want improvement, isn't that their job as coaches?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 29, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid gave up on the guy.

....and the Rams gave up on Kurt Warner.

....and the Packers gave up on Matt Hassleback.

....and the Patriots gave up on Jim Plunkett.

....and the Redskins gave up on Brad Johnson.

....and the Falcons gave up and traded away Brett Favre.

....someone gave up on Rich Gannon.

....and the Buccaneers gave up on Doug Williams.

....and Joe Theisman was given up on by the Dolphins.

....and the Jets thought John Riggins was done.

You never really know when a guy is done.

He does.

If Donovan McNabb feels he can still play--and he does--he'll try to some place else.

And the redskins would be stupid not to try to re-coup any value in him some team could be convinced into believing he still has.

Even though he doesn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 9:32 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | December 29, 2010 9:57 PM |

Jesus. I come back from a LOA and find out MistaMoe is serving up the same old crap. What a surprise!

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | December 29, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

And Kyle never adjusted his Offense to DM5. He wanted DM to learn and adapt to his System. DM5 was in a no-win situation.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 29, 2010 3:59 PM

Thanks to Flounder 21 and Brownwood for standing in the gap for our Skins. You other guys seem more loyal to a player than your team.

FACT: SHANNY BROUGHT DM5, ANDY REID LET HIM GO, THEY OBVIOUSLY THOUGHT ENOUGH OF HIM HIRE HIM...HE COULD GRASP THE OFFENSE WHICH MADE REX LOOK BETTER IN TWO WEEKS THAN HE HAS HIS WHOLE CAREER.

FACT: WHERE WAS THE NUMBER 1 OFFENSE LAST YEAR? HOUSTON. WHERE HAVE MORE NO NAME RUNNING BACKS GAINED A REPUTATION? DENVER UNDER SHANNY. why dumb the offense down for mediocre results, when run properly (i say again) makes even Rex look good.

FACT: DICK VERMEIL SAID MONDAY ON MAD DOG, SHANNY IS A HECK OF A COACH, AND DM5 WAS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE SYSTEM.

FACT: YOU GUYS ARE IDOTS FOR RAGGING ON THE SHANNY'S AFTER ONLY ONE YEAR. THEY WERE HANDED A MESS, AND THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS ALREADY WORKING BETTER.

IN THE MEANTIME GO SUCK YOUR THUMBS.

HTTR!!!

Posted by: rodskin | December 29, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

TalktotheHand

I come back from a LOA

I mapquested the place you just left.

It seems the directions lead a person right into my nutsack.

Dude--you really must find another vacation spot!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

They failed, so why draft another defensive lineman?

You mention Mike Vick without acknowledging that once he was a high pick.

And every playoff bound team but KC/Jags is led by a high drafted q-back.

Move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer was undrafted. Gus Ferrotte was a 6th round draft pick as a QB. Compared to most of the QB's drafted with 6th round picks, I am not sure he would qualify as a failure. He wasn't Montana or Manning, but he had a decent career.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 29, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld

You are aware that Shanny himself said that McNabb is done in D.C., aren't you?

Let's get some value out the guy before he's gone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I've said for 2 months that Luck isn't coming out.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM |

Dudes have been staying in school. Bradford can count himself lucky that he overcame being injured in his sr yr and still got chosen #1 and got $$$. I think that staying in school helped Tebow become more polished even though he still had to do a lot after his sr yr to make himself NFL ready. Luck is prob about as polished as you can get as a college QB. The thing that would keep him in school would be the ghastly prospect of being chosen #1 by the suckhard Panthers, who are in bad need of a fran QB, among many other things. Don't know if them hiring Harbaugh would do anything to change his mind. The things that might dissuade Luck from staying in school for his sr yr are (a) Barkley might have a good yr next yr and Luck not so good and then he would have competition for being chosen #1 and (b) he could get injured like Bradford did and that would be a setback for him.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | December 29, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

All these comments ignore the real problem - that Kyle Shanahan sucks as an offensive coordinator and is even worse as a leader. Does anyone respect him?

Posted by: tparchme | December 29, 2010 4:43 PM

but i think the skins are DONE with black QBs

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2010 4:30 PM

ARE YOU GUYS FRIENDS OF FAT ALBERT OR MC5's AGENT? OR ARE YOU A FAIR WEATHER FAN STUCK IN WASHINGTON? IM JUST WONDERING WHERE YOUR LOYALTIES LIE.

IT SEEMS YOU GUYS ARE MORE UPSET A PLAYER GOT BENCHED THAN YOU ARE THAT WE WERE 5-8 WHEN THE DECISION WAS MADE.

Why are we wanting to fire kyle, as i recall our defense was near last in the league.

I like the changes being made, the offensive line is more productive and no name players are getting a chnce and whiners like Fat A are getting the boot. i dont care if we have a black qb or a white one, i just want him to study to knw the system, not demand it to be taylored to him completely. MC5 is going to fit somewhere else, but we need to move on. From now on, REAL FANS PLEASE.

Posted by: rodskin | December 29, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I mapquested the place you just left.

It seems the directions lead a person right into my nutsack.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 10:38 PM |

Hilarious but not a surprise. You call him out for the crap he posts and he starts up with the nutsack talk, which, if memory serves, is a favorite third grade-ism of the reknown PinkDMV. Is that jagoff still posting? If memory serves he only posts from work (DMV) when there is no jailbait (Pink) around for him to molest.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | December 29, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

This is why we offer: THE TRADE

The cards move down to picks 12-17 and get McNabb plus a 2012 pick

With the number 6 pick in 2011, the skins then have better choices:

Mallett

Locker

Fairley

Newton

Why wouldn't you do this if you are either D.C. or AZ?

Posted by: MistaMoe

When you trade for a guy, you take the contract. No one will take McNabb's contract.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2010 11:18 PM

Zeke- Here's the deal with a possible trade. All it takes for ONE team to believe that McNabb is still the same 6x pro bowler and borderline HOF QB and that this one YR was just an outlier.

Of course most of the fans, media, and every dope on RI blames Shanahan for McNabb's down YR so why shouldn't some other team.

If so then they will want him and give up a middle round pick and his contract because if they wait until he's released then he'll have missed OTAs and preseason and be completely worthless.

16 mil for a franchise QB is par for the course...

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2010 11:18 PM

16 mil for a franchise QB is par for the course...

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse
Agree, just don't think zona is on that list because all I hear is that whisenhunt doesn't think #5 can run his off and had zero interest in aquiring him last year.

Posted by: hcic55 | December 30, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hcic55 | December 30, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

-----------------
I will say lots of Cards fans here in AZ want McNabb. They can't stop talking about it, now the coach is a different story. Considering how bad the QB situation here is he may not have a choice. I still think the Skins should hold on for a little while and see if they can get something for #5 even if it's a late rnd pick.

Posted by: skins91r | December 30, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I still think it's going to be the Niners for McNabb. They have a bunch of extra middle-round draft picks this season, and they're in just as dire straits coach-and-QB-wise as the Cards.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 30, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I still think it's going to be the Niners for McNabb.

Just because it's obvious doesn't mean it won't happen. Minnesota is where McNabb should/will go.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Forget Cam Newton. And Flounder 21 whats wrong lose at pocket pool again punk!

Posted by: sheepherder | December 29, 2010 7:10 PM |

Who are you never seen you on here, and why the f-ck are you even posting to me.
I will anwser your question though, yes your wife beat me at pocket pool it's so nice to lose to her.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 30, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse