Posted at 7:05 PM ET, 12/12/2010

Gano on missed FGs: "They felt good off my foot"

By Paul Tenorio

During warm-ups before Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins kicker Graham Gano said he felt as good as he had all season long. Despite the rain and cold weather at FedEx Field, Gano said he was nailing his practice attempts.

That pre-game success failed to translate onto the field, however.

Gano missed two field goals in the first half of the Redskins 17-16 loss, a 34-yard attempt that clanked off the left upright and a 24-yard attempt that missed wide left. The misses proved to be critical in a game that was decided by just one point on a botched extra point at the end of the game.

After the game, Gano said he was not sure what caused the misses.

"I thought they were good both times, they felt good off my foot," Gano said. "Normally I can tell if it's not a good kick, so when I looked up on both of the ones I missed, I was shocked. I thought they were good kicks."

The rainy weather might have played a role in the misses. Gano, in the midst of his first full NFL season, wore a new cleat on his plant foot with longer studs to deal with the soft turf, and he said he had to adjust the way he put that foot down in order to deal with the slick field.

But Gano, who also hit a 25-yard field goal just before halftime, refused to use either of those excuses as a reason for the missed attempts.

"I was slipping pretty consistently throughout the whole game," Gano said. "That's just what happens when the field is so soggy. That's something you can't control. You just have to go out there and make them."

On the deciding play of the game, a snap on the extra point that went through holder Hunter Smith's hands, Gano said he did not see what happened because he keeps his head down on attempts. Gano seemed to be injured trying to pick up the fumbled snap, but he said he only aggravated a rib injury suffered against the Detroit Lions earlier this season and that he was "fine."

Asked if he was worried about his job security, Gano said he would "love to still be here," and Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan did not sound as if the Redskins were immediately considering releasing the kicker - who is 22 of 32 on field goals this season and 26 of 36 for his career.

"I wouldn't even talk about that at this time anyhow," Shanahan said. "Like I told you from the beginning, it was a tough game today, it was rough, missed a couple short field goals and an extra point, everybody's disappointed. He's been very consistent for us in practice, he's young. I think he's got a great future. Hopefully he can put this behind him and when he gets in the same situation put it through the uprights."

Smith added: "People are gonna call for Graham's head. ...If anybody needs to lose their job, it's me. It's certainly not one of those guys. They're both young, promising people, who have an opportunity to be the best at what they do. And I certainly accept the blame and hope that I receive the blame for this one."

By Paul Tenorio  | December 12, 2010; 7:05 PM ET
Categories:  Graham Gano
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss: "I'm just getting tired of it"
Next: District native Benn hurts Redskins

Comments

I'm glad that he's "fine" physically. Couldn't live without him missing two more chip shots next week.

He's an atrocious kicker with no future in the NFL.

Posted by: fufighter2121 | December 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

This team paid a coach 7 million dollars a year who can hold everyone accountable but himself. This team is undisciplined, and just as awful as it was when Zorn was coaching. What aspect of this team would you say is good or getting better?

Posted by: edavis291 | December 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

The only thing Gano will be saying next week is, "Would you like fries with that?"

Posted by: slowdive | December 12, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

When you lose, it is natural for "fans" to question every move, BUT I for one am NOT advocating for any coaching changes. That's all we've had was coaching changes. With the exception of Jim Zorn, the main problem is not the coaching, it is the talent level on this team...Some coaches catch lighting in a bottle and are able to go from worst to first, but you have to have the PERSONNEL to do it.

What other coach would be able to win with these players?

I had no problem with the Donovan McNabb acquisition, but what's key and a good sign for this organization, is that we didn't overpay him or overcommitt.

I guaruntee that Cerrato woould have given McNabb a HUGE extension and Vincent Jackson and/or Randy Moss would be Redskins!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 12, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Great...a kicker that shanks short FG's and cant even tell when he kicks them. What a horrible pair of kickers the skins have.........by the way that long snapper has been high all year with his snaps....do these coaches even watch film. I dont know who is worse daddy shanny, little boy flunky shanny, Hass, or Danny Smith!

Posted by: doke1 | December 12, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Fraud was committed by the following players;

Gano. His Holder Hunter Smith and his long snapper (gone is the reliable Albright).

Donovan Mcnabb- Are we truly to beleive this pro-bowl talent really just throws the ball down in the dirt by accident? He is a fraud. You could see Cooley's shoulders slump after another ball wizzed in front of him and skipped out of bounds.

Phil Daniels- The big talker stopped rushing on multiple downs. Just stood up or stopped rushing to watch. Reminds me of Haynesworth.

The refs; major fraud. Failing to "hear" requests for timeouts. Not seeing holding. There is never any homefield advantage for the Redskins. The oppositeis true.

Brandon Banks seemed to have been listening the punt return advice from Randell El, shifting east west and delay juking into zero yard returns.

Posted by: DownTownClown | December 12, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

The case for firing Gano and Danny (chaw in my cheek Smith)

On Sept. 20, Redskins placekicker Graham Gano missed a 52-yard field goal in overtime that would have beaten the Houston Texans. Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, Gano nailed his first kick, a 26-yarder, but then left a 51-yarder wide right.
Gano only makes 72% of his kicks, 31st in the league. Against Indianapolis, Gano missed a 47 yarder just before halftime, sapping much needed momentum.
Gano missed in NY, and missed two chip-shots at home to lose th game against Tampa Bay. Danny Smith is costing us games. Gano is costing us games. Why do we accept it? Why would you accept this?

Posted by: DownTownClown | December 13, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame Gano for the loss. You can blame kickers if they miss under 40 yarders with the game on the line, but the Redskins should have been able to recover from two early misses. You need to get touchdowns in the red zone.

Posted by: wwc4g | December 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse