Posted at 6:22 AM ET, 12/27/2010

Graham Gano: 'It feels good' to play a major role in Redskins' victory

By Jason Reid

Place kicker Graham Gano has experienced some rough times this season, but his 31-yard field goal Sunday capped the Redskins' 20-17 victory in overtime against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Gano's game winner came with 12 minutes 13 seconds remaining in the extra session. He also had a 48-yard field goal in the first quarter and was perfect on two point-after attempts.

The Redskins have remained supportive of the young, strong-legged kicker during his growing pains this season, and Gano was pleased to play a major role in only the Redskins' second victory since Oct. 24.

"It feels good," Gano said. "I've been working hard in practice and studying the film. Had some adversity the past couple of weeks, or two weeks ago, so just to come through to get a good team win like this feels good."

In his second season in the NFL, Gano, 23, has missed 10 field-goal attempts. The Redskins conducted a kicking tryout at Redskins Park after Gano missed two of three attempts during a 17-16 loss to Tampa Bay in Week 14.

The Redskins did not sign a place kicker but punter Hunter Smith was released. Gano is confident he could help the Redskins succeed long term.

"We know we should have won more games that we have, but we're not gonna stop working," he said. "We're not gonna give up, and I think it shows that this team's got great character."

By Jason Reid  | December 27, 2010; 6:22 AM ET
Categories:  Graham Gano
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins vs. Giants Week 17 kickoff moved back to 4:15 p.m.
Next: Santana Moss ties personal best with 84 receptions this season

Comments

Back at work this sucks.

Question for you guys.

I'm looking for a lightweight warm jacket for the DMV area any one have any ideas?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey Flound...I'm back at work too. I think everyone should get the week between Christmas and New Year's off as a rule of thumb...but hey, what do I know?

Not sure I can help ya on the jacket front...I tend to underdress for the weather and the only heavy coat I have is my First Down jacket, and I wouldn't quite call that "lightweight"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

No problem Brown, agree on getting the week off that would be sweet.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

"Graham Gano: 'It feels good' to play a major role in Redskins' victory"

It should...any day that doesn't consist of missed extra points or clanging 24 yarders off the upright should be considered a good day for this guy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rodgers catches everything he touches and Chris Cooley couldn't catch a cold. What gives?

Posted by: donsilvester | December 27, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: donsilvester | December 27, 2010 7:35 AM

Don't forget Michael Vick becoming a great QB, the Chiefs winning the AFC West, and Randy Moss playing for 3 teams and having impact on none of them.

It's the 2010 season...where anything goes!

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

As delighted as the Redskins were with their win, not too much weight should be given to it, Maurice Jones-Drew, who entered the weekend as the NFL's No. 2 rusher, could not play with a bad knee.-Boswell

So with all the starters we're missing due to injuries(Rak,Landry,Moore,Doughty,Goldston, etc..),we're supposed to discount this win because Jones-Drew didnt play? Are you fcuking kidding me?

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 7:56 AM

Skins could win the superbowl with 100% reserves and the press would find a way to poo poo on them.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Boswell = D-Bag

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Smitty, not sure what you're up in arms about...you didn't post the rest of Boswell's quote:

"With a typical Jones-Drew day, coupled with Garrard's deep passing, the Redskins might have ended up with dour faces and more concern about the development of Rex Grossman as their new quarterback of the moment. In their first two possessions, thanks to Jaguars blunders and a Carlos Rogers interception, the Redskins only had to "drive" 14 yards and 18 yards to find themselves with 10-0 first-quarter lead."

Stop me when he's saying something false...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

the Chiefs winning the AFC West

Do yourself a favor and watch this team.

They are very young and very good.

Some time ago, they were an old team that finished 2-14.

They blew up the roster and started a complete rebuild in a way most redskin fans eschew and fear.

They fired Herm Edwards, brought in S Pioli, traded for M Cassel, and now stand as this year's 'it' team.

They got a tight end named Moeki who is excellent.

They have the best running attack an o-line in the league.

My point?: redskin fans should not fear youth and roster turnover.

Losing familiar locker room faces and fav players sucks.

But hey, if we're not winning with them, why do we embrace them?

Root for the uniform, not the player.

The upcoming offseason is going to be very important as a name coach and personnel guy will have money and about 6-9 draft picks to rebuild.

Too, there is a core of younger player--as we saw yesterday--around which we can build a new, more versitile and athletic team.

Don't fear rebuilding.

Fear losing.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't fear rebuilding.

Fear losing.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign. That's beautiful Moe.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Boswell is a jerk.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Can someone post Rob Jackson stats from yesterday?

And once you do, please explain why he didn't the chance to play 'backer in light of Carter/Alexander's weaknesses at playing the position.

A lot of young'ns impressed yesterday, but Jackson stood out the most.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't fear rebuilding.

Fear losing.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Fans aren't afraid of rebuilding.

They are afraid of "moeofthesame".

Which is precisely what we got this season.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

A lot of young'ns impressed yesterday, but Jackson stood out the most.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:35 AM |

3 tackles
1 sack
1 forced fumble

Agree he played well and should have got to play more this season.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

They are afraid of "moeofthesame"...Which is precisely what we got this season.

Nice pun.

The second point isn't debatable: back in late August, we ignored the poor preseason defense, sorry preseason offense, and thought that with McNabb and a healthy Portis, we might be able to sneak into a wild card spot.

The folks who shouted, "We're a 6-10 team people!" were the ones on the mark.

Now, with a week left, we see that the emperor Shanahan has been proven not to have the clothes we thought he wore.

Which is why the upcoming offseason really is more important than this past season.

Can Shanny and Bruce Allen undo last spring's mistakes and rebuild now that they've evaluated the complete roster?

We'll see.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, well played.

Moe, I've seen the Chiefs and I love what they're doing. Heaven knows I was wishing for a Festivus mircale and Snyder would stop making a run at big name players/coaches and go after Scott Pioli when he was available to the highest bidder. That guy turned the Chiefs around with a quickness and should get the lion's share of the credit.

However, if you or anyone else had the Chiefs winning in 2010, you were truly in the minority.

That's all I was sayin'...I wasn't clowning them at all since I'd be VERY happy to trade places with them right now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Stop me when he's saying something false...

Posted by: brownwood26

So according to you and Boswell,the Jags just out there making blunders and mistakes on their own huh Brown? So Garrards picks had nothing to due with our pressuring him? Oh I see,thanks for clearing that up for me.For a minute there I thought we had something to do with their mistakes.

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 8:45 AM

True dat...however I'm not interested in relocating to Kansas City.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

^21^

Trade Cooley and get some picks or needed value at other positions. Sleepy Fred can replace him easily just like last year when given the chance.

I'm tired of just hoping for WINS on Sunday. REBUILD the whole damn team and call me in 2 years.

Then maybe I can get my focus back on winning Super Bowls where it should be.

Posted by: COLUMBIASKINS | December 27, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Panthers are going to get the top draft pick, with Clausen alrady on the payroll and Andrew Luck apparently the draft's top lock, what kind of opportunity is there for the Skins?

A) Trade up to No.1 spot - Last time Panthers had the first overall pick, they traded down for more picks. This would be an expensive move for the Skins pick-wise. Is it worth it?

B) Deal with Carolina to get Jimmy Clausen - I will let the know-it-alls decide whether Clausen is supposedly a good fit for Shanny. This move would likely be not-as-expensive as moving up to get Luck.

C) Ignore it altogether - Stand pat and find a QB either in a lower round or off of someone else's roster.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Flounder21

Agree he (R Jackson) played well and should have got to play more this season.

In Haslett's defense, we don't know if RobJax can defend the pass: he is a converted lineman, after all.

But he is a very good edge rusher.

And if I'm right, it looked like he got some plays in as an inside linebacker--another good idea.

Yesterday, dude played like he wanted to make sure he's on the roster next year.

Hopefully, he will be.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Sergio Kindle got cited for drunk driving.

Another strike against the young talented 3-4OLB prospect in Bmore whose broken skull is healing.

Potential reclamation project anyone?

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

The best scenario here would be take Auburn's Nick Fairley (dt) with the 1st pick.

Then, in round 2, I'd take C Ponder--qb, FSU.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 8:48 AM

Don't put words in my mouth...all Bos said was that if MoJo played the outcome could have been very different. I don't think that's a false statement, nor is it necessarily taking credit away from the Skins. We've gotten gifts in the schedule like that in the past and not taken advantage...this time we did. All credit due.

Just don't tell me that missing Orakpo and Landry and Golston equals Jax missing MoJo...because it doesn't. They were on course to win their division with Jones-Drew, we were last on defense with Orakpo and Landry. Nobody's saying the D didn't have a big effort without them...that's just stating fact.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

best thing about yesterdays game was the fact washington played well with nothing on the line, showing the team has great heart under shanahan. taking this game as a positive and hoping this offseason the FO makes wise decisions in drafting youth and not trying to make a FA slash, rather, low key signings for decent players that can develop into solid redskins.

love seeing the giants annual second half of the season collapse and the cowboys losing on christmas day.

Posted by: hessone | December 27, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Then, in round 2, I'd take C Ponder--qb, FSU.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Shannys met with Clausen leading up to the draft last year.

If they decide they like him, would you give that 2nd-rounder to Carolina for Clausen? Or do you still take Ponder?

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I think we will end up with Jake Locker in the first round.

If that doesn't happen then it's Mallett in the 2nd.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, I don't know what circles you roll in, but everything I've heard is that Luck is far from a lock to come out in the 2011 draft...in fact, if the decision were to be made today, he'd stay in school.

Someone was up here the other day kicking around the notion that we could trade with GB to get Matt Flynn. With our pick being a bit higher and the QB-thirsty teams having one less object of their affection, that's looking more like a possibility...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Clausen is horrible.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Sergio Kindle got cited for drunk driving.

Potential reclamation project anyone?

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse
----------
That's not good. He had one at Texas too.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 27, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 8:55 AM

Give me Option C

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 27, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

I take Ponder, unless, of course, the Packers some how slip up and let Matt Flynn go free.

Matt Flynn is a very attractive young quarterback who might be worth a pick in trade.

Now, would I dangle a second rounder at the pack should they decide to keep Flynn around?

Yeah, I would--you'd get a young quarterback in Flynn who unlike Clausen or anyone else you might draft in that round has proven he can play.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 9:13 AM

No, no, no to Clausen...I'd rather be doomed to another year of Rex Grossman before I assign the "QB of the future" tag to Clausen.

I mean, have you seen what he's done in Carolina? Kiper should be hanging his head in shame for talking that kid up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I live in NC, so I've had to watch Clausen a lot this year.

He is PAINFUL to watch.

He doesn't even show signs of being good.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is giving us much of anything for Cooley. We held on to him too long.

I think we just ride him out until Davis is our 1st stringer. Maybe get a couple playoff appearances.

btw - nice win yesterday, despite the bald patch in the side of my head.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Moe...I think Matt Flynn is about to be a FA. Might have to look into that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:31 AM

I don't know anything about this Flynn kid...except that he is signed through 2011.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Not sure about Flynn BW26, but Dennis Dixon is unrestricted FA after this year and may be worth chasing.

=============

Bruce Gradkowski – OAK
Dennis Dixon – PIT
Troy Smith – SF
Chris Simms TEN
Rex Grossman -WAS

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think Matt Flynn is about to be a FA. Might have to look into that...

That 2007 LSU Tigers team seems to have been rather loaded:

Matt Flynn
Glenn Dorsey
Chevis Jackson
Keiland Williams
Jacob Hester
Early Doucet
Ali Highsmith
Ciron Black
Craig Steltz
Tyson Jackson

...all of these guys, now in the NFL, were on that team.

That's rather impressive.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

That someone was me...

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Santana Moss Beeps

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 27, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Dennis Dixon is unrestricted FA after this year and may be worth chasing.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 27, 2010 9:41 AM

Only if he's bringing Mike Tomlin with him...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Brown the outcome could've been different had everybody played or it could've been the same.Who knows and who cares.My point is dont come handing me this garbage about what could've been based on who was missing.You play the cards you're dealt and whatever happens on the field that day is what happens.Period.

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

R. Grossman 19/39 182 1td 1int... sexy rex sux as much as jreid...

season stats: 3 games 548yds 53.9comp % 5td 3 int 77.4 rating

sexy rexy is not even the answer as a "bridge" qb!!! he is only playing bc he and kyle shanny play in the bathtub together...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

That 2007 LSU Tigers team seems to have been rather loaded:

Matt Flynn
Glenn Dorsey
Chevis Jackson
Keiland Williams
Jacob Hester
Early Doucet
Ali Highsmith
Ciron Black
Craig Steltz
Tyson Jackson

...all of these guys, now in the NFL, were on that team.

That's rather impressive.

herman johnson
ciron black
ricky jean-francios
al woods
marlon favorite
charles scott

were also on the team and are in the nfl...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 27, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering:

Gano said "God is great!" after he said, "It feels good." Okay, it's a strange thing to add in there, but why did JReid drop that? I mean, I thought it was kind of strange in the context, but whether I agree with him or not, dude did say it.

Does the Post have some policy about that?

Posted by: watchingfromasia | December 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse