Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 12/16/2010

Graham Gano promises to rebound against Dallas

By Jason Reid

When place kicker Graham Gano reported to work Wednesday at Redskins Park, the dressing stall to his right no longer was assigned to punter Hunter Smith, who was released Tuesday after he mishandled the snap on a costly botched point-after attempt against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Gano and Smith had grown close since Smith re-signed with the team in October, and Gano could have been the one to go after he failed to convert two short field-goal attempts in the 17-16 loss at FedEx Field that helped to eliminate the Redskins from postseason contention.

"It's difficult to see anybody that's your teammate get released," Gano said. "I walked in and saw his locker was cleaned out, I was sad. He's one of my friends."

Gano, who has missed 10 field goal attempts this season, expects to have a strong performance Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium.

"I think I'm at the lowest I can get right now, but I know what I can do," he said. "I'm gonna just keep getting better from here on out. I'm gonna have a great game this week in Dallas.

"One day, people are gonna forget about that game. I'm gonna look back and I'm gonna laugh at it. Of course, I'm disappointed now. But I'm confident I'm gonna have a great career here. I think that's the way I have to look at it."

By Jason Reid  | December 16, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Graham Gano
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins practice at off-site facility because of snow
Next: Indoor facility is a priority for Redskins

Comments

Who is our best trade bait next year?

Cooley?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Cheerleader Chelsea! HOT!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Score some dang touchdowns so we don't have to put the game on this guy already.

Posted by: skinswest | December 16, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

In the 'sad' category, SI does a weekly sit/start column for fantasy players. This is what it said for the Skins 'sit' group. One player's name is misspelled (Gono) and another actually is gone ... Galloway. Just shows how little attention the rest of the world is paying to the Skins

SIT
Redskins

TE Chris Cooley, RB Keiland Williams, TE Fred Davis, D/ST, WR Anthony Armstrong, WR Joey Galloway, K Graham Gono, RB James Davis, RB Roydell Williams, RB Chad Simpson

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

My fantasy team no longer cares, Gano what i mean...

Posted by: Stu27 | December 16, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Rebound and doink it off the uprights? There's no more lonesome sound in all of sports than a field goal attempt that hits the uprights -- and fails to fall through.

The way things are going this season, something tells me he just can't make it easy and put it right down the middle.

But someday we'll all look back and laugh about it... present company excluded, of course... and those who went before us.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Who is our best trade bait next year? Cooley?

Trade Cooley?

And you replace him with.....?

I'll pass on trading Cooley.

However, I will say that if Santana Moss decides not to re-sign with us, it'll totally change the offseason priority list.

Not having Santana Moss means WR becomes even that more of a need.

You'd think that given the strong season he is having and the weakness behind him would mean the FO would being trying to get him re-upped before he hits the market.

Moss might be 30, but he plays like he has 2-3 solid years in him yet.

Get Santana re-signed: now!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

whateves...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

You know what makes me sad Graham?

YOU DO!

Kickers that boink 32 yarders off the upright and shank 24 yarders that would have won the game make me sad because they belong in Mamby Pamby land.

Jack wagon.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

moe, co-sign on reupping SMoss...bring in VJ, move 89 to the #2 spot.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

From our, "Is he done yet?" department:

Antwan "Fair Catch" Randle El

Steelers 2010 19 catches 224 yards

Washington Redskins 2009 50 catches 530 yards

The pretty one-handed catch he had last weekend notwithstanding, Randle El is a former redskin we rarely discuss.

And that's because he's not missed.

El took up space with the offense the past two years that should've been spent developing other receivers.

He was attractive to the last redskin personnel administration as he played well in the 2005 Super Bowl, and they somehow translated that performance into a big contract.

It appears that upon his return to Pittsburgh, Mr. El is done--the pretty one-handed catch notwithstanding.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Although Gano sucks, i kind of respect his attitude. You have to be like that to be a successful kicker. That being said, anyone know what our kickers %'s look like at home and away from home?

It just seems like every kicker in the last 10 years just blows. Suisham was miserable, and i dont think hes even missed one in pittsburgh this year. Maybe fedex just sucks for kicking.

Posted by: zjenks | December 16, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

co-sign on reupping SMoss...bring in VJ, move 89 to the #2 spot.....

Wanna see a nice formation?:

Armstrong-Cooley-Moss-Jackson

You double VJax deep, AA is one-one opposite.

Cooley and Moss get to work underneath in the open space you've created (or you send Moss deep, too, against some team's safety.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Gano is fine, he's just young and inexperienced. If we cut him, he'll be a great kicker for someone else. He's got a great attitude and a cannon for a leg. He needs some time. We're not going anywhere anyway, so who cares if he blows some games now? That said, Shanny will boot him....we're idiots.

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 16, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Graham Gano promises to rebound against Dallas
By Jason Reid

I promise to not add to a league leading 10 missed FGs, failure means I'll clean out my locker.

F Dallas

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 16, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Marvin Lewis can be our next defensive coordinator.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It's a good point - I wonder if Haslett will be back. Shanny will probably give him at least another year to see if we can get the right personnel to run the 3-4.

On another note, is there a reasonable explanation of why Roydell Williams is getting WR reps instead of Terrence Austin? I think they both play teams, so give the young guy a chance to see what he can do while there are no stakes.

Posted by: quinn3 | December 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Just do your job and shut up. it's like b males telling us they're gonna support their kids...well, dummies, that's what you're supposed to do.

in this case, dummy Gano just has to kick the ball through the uprights...that's what he's paid to do and what he's supposed to do, lol.

Posted by: dc1020008 | December 16, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

89 would be murder in the slot. Just need a true #1, AA as the y, and a QB that doesn't short hop throws and have accuracy issues.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

From our, "Is he done yet?" department:
Antwan "Fair Catch" Randle El

Posted by: MistaMoe

++++++++++++++++++++

And if you compare ARE's 2010 Punt Return numbers to Brandon Banks'.....

ARE: 12 returns, 48 yards, 16 fair catches
BB: 32 returns, 347 yards, 10 fair catches

Hey, they made progress since last year! (Wish we could say that more...)

Posted by: smurff1 | December 16, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think V-Jax is a Skin next year.

I just pray we add to the o-line.

I really don't care who the QB is, as long as he has time and a running game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Why keep Gano? He is the sorriest of the sorry. You can give him a laxative, but he won't even be able to work up a flatus.

Posted by: sameolddoc | December 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Gano should try out for QB. The way he threw Hunter Smith under the bus demonstrated to the world that he can throw.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna look back and I'm gonna laugh at it.

I'm not laughing Graham.

I don't think anyone up here was laughing.

I don't think your teamates were laughing.

I don't think Shanahan was laughing.

The Bucs were probably laughing.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjenks | December 16, 2010 2:11 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++
Gano is 11 of 17 at home (65%) and 11 of 15 away (73%)....

Posted by: smurff1 | December 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The way he threw Hunter Smith under the bus...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 2:44 PM

I must have missed this. When did this happen?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 1:44 PM
------------------------------------------
Zu Zu says, "Teacher says every time a goal post rings, a punter gets his wings..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Sameolddoc go refresh your memory with the David Akers story that's your reason for keeping him.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | December 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

89 would be murder in the slot.

Let's face the truth: Moss isn't a true number 1 receiver, but to his credit, he has excelled during his time in D.C..

The biggest waste of talent has been coaching who've been committed to the notion that he's an 'X' receiver, when his true value is on 'sluggo,' 'crossing,' 'jerk,' 'hitch,' and 'option' routes.

Moving him inside would allow him to be free underneath where a crafty vet receiver with speed like him can truly kill a team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting take from Rich Tandler:

Post-Cerrato: Are the Redskins better off?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Post-Cerrato: Are the Redskins better off?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

With an estimated $40 million of cap space after we cut or rework six pieces of dead weight this offseason, I say hell yes.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 2:04 PM

Well, at least he got to go home to have his career die.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 16, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Alan4 great link there! $43 million in cap space?! Hopefully they use that wisely and fill the holes this team has with quality players!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | December 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The way he threw Hunter Smith under the bus...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 2:44 PM

I must have missed this. When did this happen?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 2:53 PM
------------------------------
It didn't..Hunter fell on his sword...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

from Mr. Tandler,

They are likely to clear more space by releasing some older, more expensive players. If they cut or trade Portis, Haynesworth, Derrick Dockery, Andre Carter, and Casey Rabach they will lop off more than $10 million of their 2011 salary obligations

This is not even a rhetorical question: is there any value to be had for these guys?

Dock--no

Portis-- F no

Rabach--you're kidding, right?

Carter--last year after 11 sacks yeah, not now.

Haynesworth--5th rounder at best...

...and I'll take that plus the ham sammich that comes with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are in much better shape. Much better.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

The guys ahead of ARE include Hines Ward, who's got a shot at the HOF and Mike Wallace, who's been one of the best WRs in football.

Its also useful to note that ARE threw a 39 yd TD pass this year, in a game Pitt won by 6.

You can put down ARE's yards, but it'd be enough to be the #3 WR on our team.

ARE was the #2 WR here, mostly because how bad the other WRs were.

Were the Skins right to let him go? Yes, especially considering the $$ involved. But is he a useful part in a secondary role? Sure.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 16, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The way he threw Hunter Smith under the bus...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 2:44 PM

I must have missed this. When did this happen?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 2:53 PM
------------------------------------------
Bad joke. I'll issue a retraction.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

This is off topic, but did anyone else read about Vick wanting to own a dog?

He said something about loving animals...blah, blah, blah.

I still hate Vick for what he did, and would never want to see him in a Skins uniform.

I mean, he really said he wants a dog! WTF?

That's like John wayne Gacy saying he would like an 11-year old boy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

That's like John wayne Gacy saying he would like an 11-year old boy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:32 PM
-----------------------------------------
no its not!...stop being so emotional

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe.
From our, "Is he done yet?" department:
Antwan "Fair Catch" Randle El

Steelers 2010 19 catches 224 yards

Washington Redskins 2009 50 catches 530 yards

And that's because he's not missed.

------------------------------------------

I have to disagree with this. Randle El has been missed. He would be this teams 3rd WR this year. I would much rather have kept him than signed Joey Galloway. I'd take Randle El over our other #3 WRs from this season. Randle El is an older version of Jason Avant. He's a solid slot WR capable of catching 40 to 50 balls a year. I believe McNabb is missing a guy like that as a #3 WR.

Joey Galloway: 12 recs, 173 yds
Roydell Williams: 7 recs, 99 yds

So as you can see these two have to be combined to give us what Randle El has give the Steelers this year.

Randle El is competing with 2 other young wrs for reps in Pitt, Brown and Sanders. If El was here instead of in Pitt I would say right now he would have caught 30 to 40 balls for 300 to 400 yards and if you don't think we need a WR like that to help move the chains then you would be mistaken.

Posted by: avbanig | December 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

This is off topic, but did anyone else read about Vick wanting to own a dog?

He said something about loving animals...blah, blah, blah.

I mean, he really said he wants a dog! WTF?

That's like John wayne Gacy saying he would like an 11-year old boy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:32 PM
------------------------------------------
If Vick wants a dog, give him a rabid, starving rotweiler in a locked room. Other than that, I say no way. There is something weird about the request, don't you think?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

for the most part, I think Tandler's observations are pretty good ones. Given the disaster of DEBACLE '09®, taking 2 steps forward should have been a slam dunk -- 2 steps forward and one step back is an underachievement. And the step back was a pretty good sized step back.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 16, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

That's like John wayne Gacy saying he would like an 11-year old boy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:32 PM
-----------------------------------------
no its not!...stop being so emotional

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

You're right. Gacy had boys buried under his house, Vick had dogs buried, but not under his house.

Totally different.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: avbanig | December 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Except Randle-El always came up a yard short and never moved the chains.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I don't think anyone criticized them for rebuilding...their roster was getting older and they needed to go in that direction anyway. The criticism (at least from me) was that if you're going to rebuild, do so with a new coach. Reid is every bit as culpable as anyone in that building for the Eagles' failure to win a SB and if you wanna move on from McNabb, you should move on from Reid too.

Be that as it may, I agree that they're heading in the right direction, but don't overrate those guys in 2010...the ONLY reason they're atop the NFC East right now is because Michael Vick is playing out of his mind...something they didn't account for AT ALL, or else they don't re-sign Kolb long term. They lucked into Vick the same way NE lucked into Brady, NO lucked into Brees, and the Cards lucked into Warner. Without Vick, the Eagles are no better than a .500 team.

Posted by: brownwood26

Not sure why you would say that the Eagles should fire Reid. I am not sure what he is culpable of? He has been very successful as a head coach. The team decided it was time to move on from Donovan. Had the Eagles bombed and Donovan led the Redskins to the NFC East title his seat may have gotten warm.

Much like BB in New England well run teams move on from aging stars when it might not be the popular opinion. Reid deserves every chance to rebuild with a new QB based on his past success.

I don't believe they are moving on from McNabb because they have not reached a super bowl but because they feel his best days are in the past.

I do agree that they did get lucky with Vick. Although you do have to give them credit for picking up Vick at a time they did not need him.

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:44 PM
---------------------------------
i know i'm right...dogs and humans don't compare

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that link Alan. Had no idea we would be that far under the cap. Cutting guys like Randel El last year is why so yes that was a smart move. We would not have won any more games with him on the roster. As far as being in better shape, this offseason will tell the story. Will they be wise with that money spreading it around to several solid players who fit the schemes they want or will they waste it by signing a turd or 2 like Fat Al to ridiculous contracts.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | December 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:44 PM
---------------------------------
i know i'm right...dogs and humans don't compare

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:48 PM
-----------------------------------------
You're right. I have known far more dogs that I like than humans - present company included.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:44 PM
---------------------------------
i know i'm right...dogs and humans don't compare

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Matter of opinion my man.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 3:55 PM
-----------------------------------
whoever's in the room with you should leave or maybe you should leave...why be around people you don't like?...stupid if you ask me

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Matter of opinion my man.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 3:56 PM
------------------------
fair enough...no need to go on with this..everyone entitled and i respect that..

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Laugh at it? Laugh at it? Really. I don't think there will be anything funny about it - even 50 years from now!

Posted by: eedchic | December 16, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Avbanig you have got to kidding right?! ARE missed?! Yeah I really miss his 9 yard catches on 3rd and 10!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | December 16, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

You can put down ARE's yards, but it'd be enough to be the #3 WR on our team.

ARE didn't live up to the expectations--elite punt returner, dynamic receiver opposite Moss--we all had for him when he signed as a redskin, plain and simple.

Yeah, his numbers in stillersland this year would make him a better choice over Williams/Galloway: that's really not saying much, though as that's an incredibly low standard.

It is better that he is gone as a guy like Armstrong gets the chance to develope in his absence.

And I wasn't mocking ARE, just taking a look at a guy who, like so many, came, underwhelmed,..

...and now is gone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 16, 2010 3:40 PM

I think what's disturbing to me is that the team jettisoned a 2nd year coach and and a 27 year old QB who were handed the bulk of the blame for DEBACLE '09®. Now we're getting essentially the same results in COLLAPSE '10®--post Vinny--with a 16-year-veteran, multiple Super Bowl winning coach and a 33 year old multiple Pro Bowl QB....

The current coach and QB are well-known quantities, and unlikely to get any better than they are now. They've already peaked. Personally, I would have had more hope for the future with a 3nd year coach (would have preferred Gregggggg Williams, tho), extra draft picks, and a 28 year old QB who improves every year.

I'm glad the team is saving money under the cap now, but I want more WINS on the field. I don't really care about anymore offseason "victories".

Posted by: Alan4 | December 16, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The Day's Best Headline:

Former Washington Mayor MARION BARRY Has His CAR STOLEN

bored, jaded D.C. cop: So tell me about the last time you saw your car again, mistamayor.

Marion Barry, jittering and sweaty: See, I put the car in my pipe.

Flicked my lighter.

And then, after I blew out a cloud of smoke, it was gone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 16, 2010 4:22 PM
--------------------------------------
you make some good points here.....
----------------------

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 4:23 PM
-------------
very funny!

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

With Bruce Allen here, I really don't think we have to worry about unwise spending.

What about Haynesworth to Carolina for one of their offensive linemen straight up?

The center perhaps? I can't remember his name, or maybe DeAngelo Williams.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Santa's bringing Mike Shanahan an indoor practice facility this Kwanza.

Follow the leader to the new post. Follow

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Gano will be fine. Missed a couple of short ones in crappy weather but he's got good range and kickoffs are very good, esp. in a dome.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 16, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Santa's bringing Mike Shanahan an indoor practice facility this Kwanza.

Follow the leader to the new post. Follow

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 4:34 PM
------------------------------------
Santa should never be mentioned in the same sentence with Kwanza...he's not worthy

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 16, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

IMO,
Fitzgerald >> VJackson

gimme the guy that has PROVEN himself in the PLAYOFFS, INCLUDING THE SUPER BOWL.

2011 WRs: Fitz, Moss, AA, Banks, Austin
2011 TEs: Cooley, David
2011 RBs: Torain, Keiland, James Davis

2011 QB: McNabb
2011 linemen: Trent, FA, Draft, FA, Draft
Cut dockery, portis. Keep lichtensteiger, heyer, will montgomery, and rabach AS BACKUPS.

^^^THAT offense magically becomes a top 10 performer if the line holds up.

Posted by: kman2 | December 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

still in here talking about a team that is cursed" go outside and get some exercise lose some of that hog fat you are carrying around,stop crying about this football team it is OVER another losing season(more to come)getting your azz whupped every week washington is the most horrible team in the league and many of you fools still love them..idiots.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"Gano promises to rebound." He wouldn't need to rebound if the holder catches the snap. Not to show a lack of confidence in the snapper and holder but I think Gano should practice recovering lose balls and throwing passes.

Posted by: josettes | December 17, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse