Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 01/ 3/2011

Graham Gano says misses are a matter of technique

By Jason Reid

Place kicker Graham Gano faced another wave of reporters' questions Monday about his missed 30-yard field goal in the season-ending loss to the New York Giants.

Coach Mike Shanahan and special teams coordinator Danny Smith supported the young kicker through growing pains in his first full NFL season. After Gano's miss in the 17-14 loss Sunday at FedEx Field, Shanahan told Gano, 23, he has to be confident in himself and make short kicks from that distance.

"I've never had a problem mentally," Gano said. "I'm very mentally strong. I think it's more so just technique. I mean, I can put the ball through from 60-plus. I think it's just accuracy.

"I gotta work on my mechanics. Just training this offseason ... it's fired me up, definitely, having the season that I've had. So I'm looking forward to getting better. And next year will be a lot better."

Gano delivered game-winning field goals in overtime against the Green Bay Packers in Week 5, the Tennessee Titans in Week 11 and the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 16. For his efforts against Jacksonville, Gano was selected the NFC special teams player of the week.

But Gano also missed 11 of 35 attempts. He missed two field goals in Washington's three-point loss to the Houston Texans in Week 2. Gano also had two misses in a one-point loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 16 and there was his costly miss in the Giants' three-point win.

"I think I'm just going to refine my technique," he said. "I'm a three-step kicker. I think my first jab step, the first step in my process, it's been kinda off this season.

"I'll probably just switch to doing two steps, which is a lot more consistent. I should see a lot more consistency if I do that."

Then why didn't he change to a two-step process during the season?

"Just something I've done all my career," Gano said of sticking with the three-step technique. "The stronger my leg gets, the easier it'll be [to change]. ... I think I've got the kind of leg strength now that I don't really need that first step."

By Jason Reid  | January 3, 2011; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Graham Gano
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hey, who's the big guy at Albert Haynesworth's locker?
Next: Redskins hold No. 10 pick in April draft

Comments

"I've never had a problem mentally," Gano said.

Oh boy, here we go. It's probably not a good thing if you have to use THIS defense.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 3, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey GG, how long have you had to work on your mechanics?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Did he say he was going to become a mechanic? That's nice because he sure as hell can't kick.

Posted by: jmy999 | January 3, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me what you're doing wrong, Gano...just FIX IT!

Ironically, I see Gano in the same light as I see the defense...extremely streaky. When the defense was off, it was epic awful...when it was on, it resembled a top shelf NFL unit. Gano has had a similar ride in 2010.

Here's hoping both improve in 2011...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"I've never had a problem mentally," Gano said.

He shouldn't be quoting Charles Manson like that.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This will be a good offseason.

At least with BruceBruce we don't sign ridonkulous contracts.

We WILL draft a QB.

That's just how it goes with rebuilding teams. You get LT/QB in some order.

Now if we just get the center position addressed in the draft(2nd round) and guard in FA, we'll be OK.

Tell me more about this Gabbert kid.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 3, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Geez, just took a look at some freshly updated mock drafts on the Interweb... and they have wildly incorrect draft orders. Who are these meth-heads anyway?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Gano is good for raising blood pressure.

Why does he suck at the beginning of games, but hit in OT?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 3, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

...just hold on a moment as I dig up those comments from the blog-posts of the past couple years and cut-n-paste them here...again...

Posted by: p1funk | January 3, 2011 11:46 AM

No doubt...that's the most depressing part of all this, we gave up 3 picks total for McNabb and Brown...and now we may have to not only address their positions AGAIN, but we still have to fill about a dozen holes elsewhere on the roster.

Thank God for Madden...I might hate football otherwise...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 3, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

OK...I dug up a couple of the thoughts.

1) We need to preserve, protect and leverage our draft picks (comment from 10 years ago)

2) We need to address our Oline (comment from 3 years ago)

3) WTH is our FO doing and what exactly is the plan? (Comment from 3 years ago)

4) We need to build a better defense around our talented players and leverage their ability - Orakpo, Landry, Hall. (Comment from 2 years ago)

5) We need to add playmakers in our passing game/receiving corps. (Comment from 3 years ago).

6) We need a solution at QB. (Comment from 2 years ago).

7) We could really use some better production/consistency from our kicking/punting (Comment from 5 years ago).

8) Hopefully in FA we can avoid bloated contracts and/or signing mostly washed-up vets who don't really have a future here. (Comment from 5 years ago).

Still digging...I'm sure I'll be back with more comments and ideas from the past several years that are still highly applicable for discussing this offseason.

Posted by: p1funk | January 3, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Coach: Gano needs to be stronger mentally.

Gano: I've never had a problem mentally.

+++++++

Coach: McNabb is struggling with some fitness/injuries.

McNabb: I'm 100% healthy.

+++++++

Coach: Albert is sick and couldn't play so he was inactive.

Albert: I feel fine and I wanted to play.

Posted by: p1funk | January 3, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Yo Gano... you might think about auditioning here: http://www.rockettes.com/#/home

Posted by: iubiquity | January 3, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Gano has two jobs -- kickoffs and FGs. He excels at kickoffs and that's why the coaches are not ready to give up on him. RI, where everything is either open or shut, black or white, has labeled him shut this week. Last week he was special teams player of the week.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 3, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

You're either with us or you are against us, beeps.

Gano is against us. This week (and, hence, for the entire off-season).

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 3, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

meep meep

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 3, 2011 12:21 PM

No, the meth-heads are the ones who are reading mock drafts on January 3. The ones who prepare the mock drafts are dealers and enablers.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 3, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

This is still a bad team, as a whole. Is it possible that we will end up thanking Gano for costing us at least 2 but very possibly 5 games this season? That way, we're in the picture for a future franchise QB and didn't end up a bad team with a nice record?

Gano should be guaranteed nothing but an opportunity to compete for the position next season and I'm not even sure he deserves that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | January 3, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

maybe he needs to praise jesus more.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 3, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Fkuck that guy. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you... 'cause Guano certainly can't split the uprights.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 3, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If you can't make a FG from 30 yards you must be cut.

Posted by: hockey023 | January 3, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Coach: Gano needs to be stronger mentally.

Gano: I've never had a problem mentally.

+++++++

Coach: McNabb is struggling with some fitness/injuries.

McNabb: I'm 100% healthy.

+++++++

Coach: Albert is sick and couldn't play so he was inactive.

Albert: I feel fine and I wanted to play.

Posted by: p1funk | January 3, 2011 12:25 PM
++++++++++++++

Facts:

Gano choked.

McNabb was limping worse than Chester in Gunsmoke and was totally ineffective.

Albert needs to be translated: I feel fine = I have a hangover. I want to play = only when I feel like it and when I am allow to do what I want, and yes!!! I want to take a nap on the middle of a play.

But of course the big bad coach is lying and he is mean for not taking care of our boys …

Posted by: isthatallthereis | January 3, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Lost cause. Let's see him take his non-mental, mechanical problems to some other team. They gave McNabb 13 games, Grossman 3 and this kid 16. I have seen enough. I must need some of the gatorade that the Shanahans are drinking to see the reason why he's still on the team.

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 3, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Gano's got a strong leg, and he makes them in OT, and that's when the nerves would be the highest. Also he's very young. That being said, these freaking chip shot FGs he misses scare me. I say give him another year because we're not going anywhere next year either, and a great kicker is hard to find. He may be a great kicker in a couple years and if we let him go, our luck is he'll be beating us kicking for the Girls....

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 3, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey you idiot kicker, you lost us at least two games this year. I hope you are not on our team next year. You said you can make them from 60? How about from 20 yards out???

Posted by: sruppert | January 3, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

And I'm sure you all advocated cutting Suisham. Look at him now. Yeah, Gano missed some easy kicks, but it takes most kickers a year or two before they become consistent. Even Mark Moseley. The best kicker in the league this year wouldn't have put us in the playoffs, so why not let a young guy see if he can work things out. He did make some clutch OT kicks.

Posted by: jj250 | January 3, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse