Gray accepts Seahawks job

Just got off the phone with former Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray, who late last night accepted the Seattle Seahawks' secondary job.

Gray, who was cleaning out his office at Redskins Park during a brief phone interview, said he spoke with new Seattle head coach Pete Carroll last night and "everything is good on my part. We'll get the paper work done today."

For four seasons with the Redskins, Gray was an integral part of a defense that consistently was ranked among the league's best overall. Several players had hoped new Coach Mike Shanahan would retain Gray on the staff.

By Jason Reid  |  January 19, 2010; 8:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray says he has not yet signed with Seattle
Next: Safeties coach Jackson retained by Shanahan

Comments

"a defense that consistently was ranked among the league's best overall."

BS. If yards weren't the ranking statistic, they would never have made the top 10.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

First Down!

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Jerry. I hope your new charges have better luck against the dreaded double move.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Season review: Tight ends
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
01/18/10 10:54 AM EST

Looking back » Chris Cooley was having a solid, but not spectacular season before he suffered a season-ending injury in the seventh game. Cooley finished with 29 catches and two touchdowns. It would have been hard for him to duplicate his Pro Bowl run given the increased talent at this position in the NFC. But he was definitely a top tight end. At least as a pass-catcher. Fred Davis was a non-factor in the first six-plus games. Both he and Cooley were wildly inconsistent as blockers and that hindered the run game. However, Davis got serious about the game when Cooley was hurt, putting extra time in and it showed. Davis was very good the rest of the season. His blocking improved dramatically, though he still had a couple tough games. His routes were crisper and his athleticism was more evident. He looked like he did early in training camp. Davis needs reps and he got them without Cooley around. Todd Yoder was Todd Yoder; a capable blocker who can make a catch on occasion.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

The defense has been the strength the past 6 years. The glaring weakness has always been not causing enough turnovers. Atleast in 2009 they did rank pretty high in sacks. 2010 they should focus on causing more turnovers.

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

What they need » A strong blocker at the line. Yoder is fine, but they can do better than him and don't be surprised if they look for someone else to fill this role.

Grade » B+. Cooley was having this sort of season before he went down and Davis had that sort of season when he played more. Both served as focal points in the pass game. Of Davis' 48 receptions, 41 came after Cooley was hurt. Davis caught six touchdown passes. Yoder was effective.

Where they're headed » There was some talk that perhaps there wouldn't be room for both Davis and Cooley; maybe trade one to get extra draft picks. They can use talent at other positions, no doubt. But right now you can count on both players in the passing game; you can't count on much more (aside from Santana Moss). Also, one Denver source who knows Mike Shanahan well said the Redskins new coach would love to have two pass-catching tight ends. The good thing for Washington is that they're different types of receivers; Cooley is more precision and beating zones. Davis is more athletic and good vs. man coverage. Both run well after the catch. A bad offense does not need to lose weapons.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Who gives a sh_t how about some news on the current redskins, you know the team your paid to write about.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

How about a new debate, hamsters?

Namely, how will we define success in the Allen/Shanny era? Not sure how long Allen's contract is for, but Shanny has five years here.

Will it be a success if we make an NFC championship game in 5 years? Do we expect a Super Bowl win?

Or will we accept bringing stability to the organization and roster for the long term?

If Shanny doesn't make the playoffs in his first 3 years, is he gone? Will his son be the ultimate replacement?

Hmmmm....

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 19, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I reported this already

Posted by: jiza32 | January 19, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

who gives a crap jreid.
i hope seahawks fans like their cbs giving 15 yard cushions.

good riddance

Posted by: jonthefisherman | January 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Skins would get more if they traded Cooley. Cooley is a All-Pro TE. Most teams would jump on the chance to have him. The downside of trading Cooley is Skins brash might receive backlash from the Redskins faithful. Cooley is a fan favorite and media darling. Allen/Shannon need to find ways to get the team better. I would also support the notion of trading Portis and Moss. This team needs trade picks. All those years of Vinny/Snyder mortaging draft picks have made the team old and thin. We need to get younger, stronger and faster. 2010 NFL draft could solve alot of that.

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

how will we define success in the Allen/Shanny era? In five years

2 NFC East Championships
2 Divisonal round appearances
2 NFC Championship appearances
1 Superbowl appearance

-----------------------------------

If Shanny doesn't make the playoffs in his first 3 years, is he gone?

Not if there is a clear plan organizationally in player acquisition and development, and improved play annually

------------------------

Will his son be the ultimate replacement?

I think that may be the plan, but the team should hire the best coach available when M. Shanahan retires.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

YAWN....So....

Posted by: hbu_dog | January 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"a defense that consistently was ranked among the league's best overall."

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 8:28 AM

Wrong. In 2008 they gave up 18.5 points per game -- sixth in the league.

It's been a good defense. That's not where the problem lies. Problem is with the offense: 16.6 points per game in 2008 and in 2009 -- 28th and 26th in the league.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Gray had a secondary that couldn't catch, couldn't cover and couldn't tackle. If anybody thinks this is a big loss, they are crazy.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | January 19, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

There were DEFINITELY some problems on D this year. O wasn't the only issue.

Coarching was the overriding problem. Team concept suffered perhaps the most.

I see some of that changing w/ the new guard. Howevs, Snyder could still have an effect and I'm not convinced @ Has-been.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Great.

Can this mark the official end of all Jerry Gray related posts?

Also, can we get a post updating us on Keith Brooking?

Is he done crying?

How many Kleenex has he used?

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I could care less for NFC East titles and playoff appearances. If Shannon takes us to the playoffs just once in 5 years. That lone playoff year making the Skins Superbowl champs. Then I would be full contempt on that. 1991.....2009, 18 years. No Superbowl memories. History is against Shanny. Ex SuperBowl coaches do not get another ring. Tom Flores was the only other excepton to the rule.

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

brooking... huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

Man, the Mrs. was sooooo pissed. cracked me up! I actually felt a little bad for her... and then I snapped out of it. F Dallas.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 19, 2010 8:41 AM

Personally, I think bringing stability and respectibility to this team is Job 1. Anything beyond that is gravy.

All I ask for is a competitive team to watch. That could be 8-8 some years. It could come up to 12 wins. Just forge an indentity, stick to it no matter what, and be competitive in the division.

And I wouldn't mind having a coach-in-waiting here, so long as K. Shanny is ready for the gig when the opportunity comes. God knows it would be better than the clusterf*ck that was the coaching search that yielded that Zorn idiot...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 8:35 AM

Also, can we get a post updating us on Keith Brooking?

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 8:57 AM

Amazing. @ 8:35 Flounder wants a post about the Redskins and @ 8:57 he wants a post about Brookings. Did we trade for Brookings in those 22 minutes?

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, apologies to Flounder. P1Funk is the Cowboys fan who wants a Brookings update. My bad.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

The Blog should have a section dedicated to Cowboys-hate-related news.

I think that is quite relevant to the Redskins.

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I know I say it all the time... but I'll be happy w/ Shanny if he beats Dallas twice a year, every year.

That will lead to better Division performance. The rest will come if luck will have it.

As long as the gameplans are sound and the execution is good, there won't be much complaining from me, win or loose.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow, gotta love how our old friend Norv chokes in the playoffs and instead of getting fired gets a 3 year extension. Cats would kill to have as many lives as this guy.

Dude must be boning A.J. Smith; Marty got canned for doing a better job.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

how will we define success in the Allen/Shanny era? In five years

2 NFC East Championships
2 Divisonal round appearances
2 NFC Championship appearances
1 Superbowl appearance

-----------------------------------

If Shanny doesn't make the playoffs in his first 3 years, is he gone?

------------------------

Will his son be the ultimate replacement?

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

IMO, year 1 goal is being a stable organization with a legitimate NFL caliber players at all 53 active roster spots. Year 2 is to compete for the playoffs, Year 3 is make the playoffs. However, I don't think if Shanny doesn't make the playoffs in the first three years he's gone assuming there has been significant roster turnover and we have a young developing roster and we are making obvious strides towards improvement while developing a young QB. If he hitches his wagon to the JC albatross, continues to make big splashy FA signings, and after 3 seasons we are declining in performance with an aging roster then yes he would and should be gone. But I don't think/hope that is the route Shanny will take. I think he goes with some signings of lineman, drafts his QB of the future, drafts youth at the lines and turns this team in to a young group that grows into a contender over the next 3 seasons. IF that is the way he goes and is competitive but misses the playoffs in his first 3 seasons I don't think he's in any danger.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Dallas go their SJK handed to them. I loved every minute of that game.
Loved Miles Austin doing his “I made a first down and now I’m pissed off about it” routine on their first drive and then seeing nothing from him for the rest of the game.
Loved Suisham choking on what were at the time, important field goal attempts (there was a reason the skins cut the guy)…..
Loved that fact that there weren’t any bad/controversial calls for the cowgirl fans to cry about.
Loved Keith Brooking acting like a big cry-baby.
Loved that they threw for another TD rather than kick a FG or let the clock run.
LOVE IT!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Re: Shanny success over the next 4 years.

First, we need to improve on our 4-win campaign right off the bat.

The plauge of the Skins over the past decade has been an inability to score points, so I'd like to see our scoring average at 21+ points/game, especially considering that offense is supposed to be Shanny's forte.

Division titles = playoff appearances, so I'd like to see both.

Overall, I think the organization was taking steps forward under Gibbs 2.0. We had 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win during that time.

After Gibbs, the organization took a major step backwards.

Frankly, I'mm willing to call Shanny a "success" if he can get at least 2 playoff appearances and a win in the next 4 years.

Obviously, I'd love a Superbowl title, but in all honesty, this organization has been so devastated by Vinny's incompetence that if it can at least return to Gibbs 2.0 level in the next 3-4 years, I'll feel like we are heading in the right direction.

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

With Gray gone, maybe now Landry will g back to Strong Safety where he belongs

Posted by: job22 | January 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Jerry Gray can take Rogers, Smoot & Hall with him to the other team and have the Seahawks surrending younger players and draft picks that'd be great!

staff is done
next on Shanahan's list are players

Posted by: alucard1 | January 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah! Swishy missing AGAIN! hahahahaha

...man, I'm dyin' here... lol

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 9:12 AM |

If Shanahan had been coach this year, he would have had a 10-6 record with Zorn's roster and he would have made the playoffs. He would have won these six games that Zorn lost: Detroit, Carolina, Kansas City, New Orleans, Dallas, San Diego. The reasons he would have won were better coaching, better game plans, better play calling, better game management, better team morale.

Next year with an improved roster he should also go 10-6 or better. He should be in the playoffs his first year.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 8:35 AM

Also, can we get a post updating us on Keith Brooking?

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 8:57 AM

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:04 AM |

Maybe you should check the posted by, and you will see that I didn't ask for a post about brooking that was p1funk.

maybe I'm wrong to want a post about the Skins on a Redskin Insider site.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

After Gibbs, the organization took a major step backwards.

Posted by: p1funk | January 19, 2010 9:16 AM

I absolutely agree.

This team took stride backward because it deviated COMPLETELY from the course Gibbs 2.0 set. Hopefully, this go-round they'll set a course and stick with it, even after Shanny is gone. Coaching changes themselves don't hurt (i.e.-Indy this year), it's when there's a huge change in philosophy and turnover in the coaching staff/roster. Here's hoping those days are over...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Loved Keith Brooking acting like a big cry-baby.
LOVE IT!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 19, 2010 9:16 AM

Too bad they didn't go for an onsides kick after the TD and put Brookings back on the field.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Roethlesburger could have gotten 4 wins with the Skins a whole heck of lot easier than Campbell could have gotten 9 with the Steelers. Skins lost 8 games by 7 points or less...I think BR's play would have given us a number of those games. All conjecture mind you, but the fact of the matter is BR is a significantly better QB than JC and that translates into wins.
Posted by: amaranthpa | January 18, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with this statement, amaranthpa, and I am considered one of those in love with JC. I am not, just believe he is our best option for 2010. I have also proposed a possible 2 OR 3 yr contract. Please read the entire thought before you react...

I would not use #4 pick on QB. If we did, we would be under pressure to use that pick behind a weakened line. #4 should be Suh, Okung, McCoy, a trade or possibly Berry.

I would tender JC, and be willing to offer JC 2-3 yr contract, with minimum salary and lots of incentive bonuses. JC might want some security over several years, but he has demonstrated only mid-level QB starter ability. I would rate him in 10 - 15 range of QB's in league, so he should only get paid for that level. My thinking here is that if Shanny can upgrade OL this year, we MAY like how JC performs, and that way we would at least have him under contract for 2011. And at a minimum salary with incentives, if he is not our starter in 2011, he would not cost us too much to have as a backup.

I do not see any alternatives that would be better than him this year. I have said that I would release TC. I am not opposed to signing Rex G if he is a free agent, but I would not trade for him. I would make it known that both CBrennan and any other QB on team have open shot at starter position.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:05 AM

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM

Maybe you should read my post and accept my apology instead of coming up here like a cross auntie.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"IMO, year 1 goal is being a stable organization with a legitimate NFL caliber players at all 53 active roster spots. Year 2 is to compete for the playoffs, Year 3 is make the playoffs. "

I agree with Jack here...if we can get back to respectability and having a chance to win every week... to improving week in and week out... and to bringing some stability and depth to the roster, that would be fine with me.

Success in the standings will follow...

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 19, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I agree that stabilizing the team in the short run is priority #1. However, winning a SB should always be the ultimate goal. That being said over 5 years, I don't think just making the playoffs is enough to say that paying Shanahan and his all star staff was a success. The team will have to accomplish things they haven't done in a decade. Have consecutive double digit winning seasons, get a home playoff game, win the NFC East, go deep into the playoffs. Only then will the culture of losing that has enveloped this organization be addressed.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM

That's some strong Kool-Aid you're drinkin'...

We play in the NFC East. And this year we've got the AFC South. This roster is a complete mess on offense and can't possibly be fixed overnight (i.e.-in one off-season). If this team wins 8 or more games this year, Shanny deserves to get Coach of the Year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:24 AM |

Apology accepted I normally post comebacks as soon as I read them, so I don't forget after reading down through all the post.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM

I certainly think he can be in the playoffs, and I also agree that this team would have one more games with Shanny as coach versus Zorn. Saying it would have been 10-6 this season instead of 4-12 is a big stretch IMO and expect that kind of a turn around with the huge amount of changes that are going to be happening is also a gigantic stretch IMO. Could it happen? Sure. But with new systems on both sides of the ball, perhaps a new/rookie QB, and with significant youth on the roster (hopefully) expecting 10-6 and the playoffs would seem unrealistic given our division and how far we have to go. I think 8-8 with all that factored in would be a great first season to build on. After that, a stable organization that has a legit offense and contends annually for the division and Shanny would be a wild success in my book.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Shanny, give us just 1 SuperBowl Trophy and you will become legend in this town. The fanbase here is 2nd to none. 18 years is a longtime. I am not getting any younger. 5 year plan.........win the SuperBowl just once!!!!!

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 9:34 AM

He will be legend in the NFL, too. No coach has ever won a Lombardi trophy with two different teams.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 9:12 AM |

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I've thought about that. I basically agree, LS, Shanny would have been 8-8 or better.

If he solidifies OL, we should be very competitive in 2010.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

League Source, thanks for pointing out that no coach in the history of the game has won twice on different clubs. I wrote earlier that Tom Flores had done that. I was wrong. Flores won as player in 1969 and as a coach in 1980,1983.

Posted by: Redskin4Life1 | January 19, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we already signed Haslett. I'd take Mike Nolan over him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 19, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source
=============================

Here's an opponent by opponent breakdown plus whether I think we'll win or not, based on nothing but wild ass guesses.

Based on my expert opinion, we would go 8-8

I consider this fairly optimistic. Keep in mind we're not the only team planning to improve our roster this year. There are 31 other teams planning the same.

Home
Green Bay Packers L
Minnesota Vikings L
Houston Texans L
Indianapolis Colts L
Tampa Bay Buccaneers W

Away
Chicago Bears W
Detroit Lions W
Jacksonville Jaguars W
Tennessee Titans L
St. Louis Rams W

Division 3-3

Posted by: REXskins | January 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Brooking is no longer crying but his panties are still bunched...

Shanahan will be a success if: he brings stability to the franchise & we steadily improve. To me that means consistently win the games they should win & be competitive in the rest. I've lost count of how many times we lost games we had no business losing& sadly that includes some coached by Joe Gibbs. gah, I feel like I should punish myself for saying that but its true.

Posted by: will_ga | January 19, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

R4L - yeah, that's the truth. Shula came close in BMore & then winning in Miamuh.

Vermiel came close, too.

But if Shanny sets up a good program and then Shanny part deux pics it up & runs w/ it... well... dynasty? and I'm hopin' REAL NASTY at that..!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I thought he was gonna get back to them AFTER the holiday?

Can you say 'Okie-Dok'?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 19, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Adios, Backstabber

Posted by: kingrob76 | January 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we already signed Haslett. I'd take Mike Nolan over him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Snyder already fired him once before, and he wasn't that great on his first go-round with the Skins.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | January 19, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

That's some strong Kool-Aid you're drinkin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I think he can, even should, go 8-8. Coach of the year would be earned by 10-6 or better.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Chan Gailey is getting the HC gig at Buffalo. That must have the fans excited. Fired at Dallas, fired at Georgia Tech, demoted from OC at Kansas City and releived of play-calling duties. Only thing he's got going for him was that Bill Cowher recommended him. Ugh. Cowher must be getting a good laugh out of this.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

The line was the issue people!
Fix the line the rest will follow.
Shanny three years and he will bale or be fired.

Posted by: SOLVBACK | January 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

can't catch balls that hit them in the hands, can't tackle quarterbacks, 60 yd touchdown against Philly on 3rd and 25, fumble return after intercepting a 4th and 27 pass (knock it down) against NO... did we even have a secondary coach?

Posted by: stromi | January 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, the New Orleans game alone should get any secondary coach canned

Posted by: stromi | January 19, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Shanny three years and he will bale or be fired.

Posted by: SOLVBACK

He'll fork hay in the barn?

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

He'll fork hay in the barn?

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 19, 2010 10:44 AM

I think that's Vinnie's new job. Either that or he's forking Faye in the barn. Or is it Ray?

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"cowher laughing.." Like Jim Fassel must still be laughing after recommending Zorn to Vinny. That was a "two for one laugher" (they're both gone) thanks Jimmy.
==========================================
League wrote;

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 10:24 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Is he taking his knives with him or are they buried too deep in Zorn's back to retrieve?

Posted by: AlexVa1 | January 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Gray accepts Seahawks job"
===================================
Why do we care??
I wouldnt trust him working for me.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we already signed Haslett. I'd take Mike Nolan over him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 19, 2010 9:50 AM

Wow, you must have missed 1999 when we were the #2 offense and the second worst defense under Nolan's watch. His unit almost single-handedly cost us a shot at a Super Bowl that year. Bringing Nolan back would be like watching "Gigli" for a second time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope they don't use any double moves stop and go's or any of the other end all be all's to route running that Jerry Gray couldn't comprehend in the NFC west or hes gonna be in for a rough ride.
I get it that you look to the younger guys for that Tomlin model but who in the world is seeing so much potential in this guy, our secondary is always garbage and has in the past few years never ever learned from their mistakes, they get burned by the same d-@ss routes as they did 3 years ago. Good riddance, have fun accounting for L. Fitzgerald twice a year, oh man that will be fun to watch.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlexVa1 | January 19, 2010 10:56 AM

He never used a knife. Zorn had already slit his own wrists and was dead in a pool of his own blood. Gray had nothing to do with Zorn's suicide.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Notes of interest from First Day of East-West Shrine practices:

East practice:

Two years ago, Joe Flacco went from Delaware to the Senior Bowl and proved himself among the draft's top talent. This year's version of Flacco, Fordham's 6-5, 245-pound John Skelton, displayed good footwork in drills, a cannon arm and tight spiral. He was a bit tight, sailing a few passes over the heads of his receivers on the sideline and putting a bit much on shorter throws. However, his stock is only likely to rise after a strong week here -- especially given this year's average to below-average quarterback class.

Indiana offensive tackle Rodger Saffold is a player to watch. The explosion he displayed coming out of his stance and his mobility to the second level were impressive, even without pads. On one play, he gave Purdue defensive tackle Mike Neal a good ride off the snap, and Neal has plenty of strength himself. Saffold possesses the strength and footwork to be among the 10 tackles potentially selected in the top 100 this year.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we already signed Haslett. I'd take Mike Nolan over him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 19, 2010 9:50 AM

Wasn't Nolan the recipient of the melted ice cream on the desk? That was one of the early indicators that we had a petulent child as an owner who thought that if he acted like Bill Parcells...everyone would respect him like he was Parcells.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 19, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

West practice:

One of the more impressive performances came from TCU offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse, who lined up at both tackle and guard positions and was effective at each. Whether taking on a strong defender like Kansas State's Jeffrey Fitzgerald on the line or moving to the linebackers, Newhouse showed nice footwork and strength. He did not always hit a target when getting to space, however, which is something for him to work on.

Brandon Carter, the tattooed behemoth from Texas Tech, showed scouts he could come out of a three-point stance, something not often done at Tech. He got into his man's jersey and moved him to either side, also trapping effectively on inside runs. Fellow Big 12 offensive lineman Reggie Stephens (Iowa State) looked fairly strong when run blocking but failed to move his feet in pass protection, giving up too much penetration to Arizona defensive tackle Earl Mitchell.

Oregon's T.J. Ward is a 5-10 safety a lot of teams still like because of his hitting ability and agility in the back half. Even he got coached up a bit, though, as the defensive backs coach chided him for getting too nosy inside against the run, allowing a cutback lane to the outside that would likely give up six points.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

beeps: S. Jackson

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I am so happy the Gray saga is over./*****************//+ now maybe we can read more about our team. Next for 2010 can we restrict the blogs to people who really understand pro football a not just fantasy. Oh yea and the cowboy, eagle and giant fans post on you on team blogs we don't want your opinions. Reality the skins have some pretty good talent Zorn was way over his head, so sit back and enjoy the ride. the first round draft pick will tell the story. Franchise QB's, RB's amd wide outs do not exist without a good "O" line. the defense is fine a few minor tweeksand a coach that uses his personnel wisely. Good comment AlexVa1 Gray and his knives are gone Shanny saw that earlier so that leaves Portis who I truely thinks has 2 more good years some place else hopefully we can get a couple 2nd round picks. I Snyder stays in the booth and Allen remembers the years and the excitement during the years his father was a coach we have a real good chance to get back into the mix next year my hope 9-7 or better time will tell the NFC East is ripe for the pickings Eli over paid and over rated,Donavan(spelling)last year no backup and Tony is Tony. We need a real team again to wear the burgendy and gold our colors
Hail to the Redskins the fun has just begun. Fan since 1957

Posted by: MPWTIAN | January 19, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How our secondary has fallen. Remember when we had (Saint) Taylor, Springs, Landry, and Smoot together? They were the core of our defense back then.

The regression of our secondary was caused either by a loss of talent, Gray's inability to coach the backs, or Blatche.

Hope Haslett can get this D back in shape because I sure don't expect the Skins offense to carry the team anytime soon.

Posted by: jboogie1 | January 19, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"a defense that consistently was ranked among the league's best overall."

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 8:28 AM

Do you even watch the Redskins or follow the NFL? Seriously

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck, Coach Gray and by the way can you take Laron" Brandon Jacobs" Landry and Carlos "Hands Of Stone" Rodgers with you, thanks.

NFL coaches don't die, they just go to other teams

Posted by: ENJOYA | January 19, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

WooHoo the back stabber is gone! Hip, Hip hooray! BTW p1funk, Great post on Brooking! I would like to know how many kleenex`s he has used also! Great line just great! HeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHe.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE IT !

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 19, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Carroll deserves the likes of a Gray to undermine him. I agree with Boswell: three middling years before Pete heads to, say, Notre Dame.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | January 19, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse