Great Breakdown Of The Hayneworth Deal

This was supposed to get posted yesterday, and I just realized it never did.

Check out the blog of former Redskins cap guy Jimmy Halsell. He was with the team for two years and explains the particulars of the Haynesworth deal.

Enjoy!

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 6, 2009; 1:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Dockery Contract
Next: Skins Cap Update

Comments

4years/$48Mil.

I thought this was already reported?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 6, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

To me, it makes more sense to just get Brown, not Willis.

We just lost two guards in Kendall and Fabini, and Rhino is no good. We need Brown for depth behind Dock and Thomas, and maybe eventually take Thomas' spot.

We already have two backups at tackle in Heyer and Jansen. I assume we get a RT in the draft. If we get Willis, they're basically saying we don't want to go after a RT at #13.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 6, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I heard that it was actually a 4 for 48mil, um... lets see... about four days ago!

Step your exclusivity game up, La Canfora.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Wash Times article (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/06/wild-week-ends-the-way-it-started/)
has the following on our current cap space...

Posted by: forever21 | March 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I would say Florio gets abused in a similar manner just like JLaC.

Here is my evidence:

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 6, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, JLC. Nevermind the whiners.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

has the following on our current cap space...

Posted by: forever21 | March 6, 2009 2:02 PM

Just replace $6.5 million with $11.1 million and the Times would be correct.

Posted by: Ehren | March 6, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I would say Florio gets abused in a similar manner just like JLaC.

Here is my evidence:

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 6, 2009 2:08 PM

Now that's pretty harsh! I guess sports blogging is not the glamorous gig one might think it is. Looks like Florio's getting even more abused than JLC.

People tend to get a little nastier behind a keyboard than they might be in person, though.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

rypien11

'...To me, it makes more sense to just get Brown, not Willis...'

I'd argue that they are both the kind of guys we could use as the offensive line needs the same kind of talent/depth infusion and turnover the defense just got--only in reverse in some ways.

If tape shows these guys are servicable, low cost options, they let the team release Kendall, Fabini without a thought, and then draft two d-lineman instead two o-lineman.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

MoonTimes: "All of this leaves the Redskins with gaping holes at left defensive end and strongside linebacker - and about $6.5 million to spend on filling them with veterans and four draft picks."

Which is it -- 6 or 11 mil?

Does make it look like the Skins would have come out better if they'd used last year's #1 on Merling. We'd still have lost Evans -- he wanted desperately to start, and Merling would have made that difficult this season -- but we wouldn't have the hole at LDE.

Hindsight is not only 20-20, it's telescopic.

I'm just guessing, but I think it's Daniels and a journeyman this season. And a wish and a prayer.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This would seem to imply that if Haynesworth sucks in '09, the Skins could choose not to pick up his $21 million option in '10 and be done with him. There seems to be some general belief that Haynesworth plays better in contract years. That would seem to make '09 a contract year with another contract year two years after that. If that analysis is correct then I would say this is a pretty shrewd deal for the Skins - Haynesworth will get paid a ton but the Skins will have multiple chances to get out if he blows up. Is this analysis correct?

Posted by: thinker11 | March 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Just replace $6.5 million with $11.1 million and the Times would be correct.

Posted by: Ehren | March 6, 2009 2:12 PM

So $11 mil is all we got to sign draft picks? Thats do-able I guess.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | March 6, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I wish these writer's would do the research before they start whining about every single move. But, no. Whine first, do the research later, and cash the check.

You want some cheese with that whine?

4 years 48 mil for premiere defensive tackle in the PRIME of his career, this is going to be FUN, we got the biggest, baddest guy on the field

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 7, 2009 5:14 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or is JLC & Co in struggle city these days?

Man..all these repors are yesterdays news.
You guys heard of the internet? ESPN? NFL Network? WTF?!?

This blog is almost as embarassing as Vinnie C...almost