Greet Gibbs ... and the Tuesday Reading Room

Joe Gibbs is returning to D.C. .... to sign copies of his new book, "Game Plan for Life." He'll be signing books only -- not memorabilia -- at the Dupont Circle Books-A-Million from noon until 2 p.m. next Tuesday (July 28). That day he'll also sign copies from 6:15 to 7:15 and speak at 7:30 in an event that is open to the public at the McLean Bible Church in Vienna. Another book signing is set for Wednesday (July 29) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Chantilly Costco.

Elsewhere ... Joe Fortenbaugh at the Bleacher Report runs down five contract-year players to watch...interesting names, especially one that's missing.

Could the long national nightmare that is the saga of the return of Brett Favre be nearing an end? (Nothing against Favre playing, it's just that the whole Hamlet in a Helmet drama is too much.)

From Twitterland: DeAngelo Hall held his last Fan Appreciation Day Night yesterday. ... @TrentShelton mused: I AM NOT A CELEB...IM A NORMAL GUY TRYING TO DO MY THING YA DIG...We all the same just some peeps get more attention than others! Seriously. He also pondered some new artwork: Thinkin' about going to get tatted up some more today!!! go ahead and finish off this full sleeve!!

By Cindy Boren  |  July 21, 2009; 8:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gibbs on Campbell and Being an NFL QB
Next: Revisiting Right Tackle, Wide Receiver

Comments

F Dallas

Posted by: skins1110 | July 21, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Does anyone know where that, "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken," colloquialism comes from?"

That homespun truism comes from Wisconsin where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 9:42 AM |

You whiffed twice pal - it comes from Eastern Shore MD and there ain't no sheep in WI - it's dairy cow country. But don't feel too bad about whiffing twice - your evil buddy TE whiffed twice also. He was late with the answer, totally inexplicable for someone who lives all day on this blog, and he misspelled the Perdue fambly name, preferring to use the name of that fine midwestern university Purdue instead.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"the whole Hamlet in a Helmet drama ..."

"Hamlet in a helmet" - ooooh, good wood!

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

One thing you RI website dudes might want to fix. When you rest your cursor on the "Redskins Insider" logo at the top of the screen it displays this little tag line

"Redskins Insider, by Jason La Canfora"

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs, thanks for the memories, the Super Bowl victories from a time gone by, how you rallied the team after the Sean Taylor tragedy, - now go play with your grandkids and NASCAR.

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 21, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

How does Gibbs end up at Books--A-Million and not Politics & Prose?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh, here's why he's not at Politics & Prose. This is a description of the book on Amazon:

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs the opportunist?:

"Joe Gibbs is returning to D.C. .... to sign copies of his new book, "Game Plan for Life." He'll be signing books only -- not memorabilia -- at the Dupont Circle Books-A-Million from noon until 2 p.m. next Tuesday (July 28)."

And the next day, July 29th, is the start of redskins' training camp.

Talk about timing.

We hope Mr. Gibbs' "Game Plan for Life" doesn't encourage the reader to attack 2009 problems with a '90s style offense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 10:18 AM

It's a timeless offense, dating back at least to the Crusades.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"Joe Gibbs’s Game Plan for Life is an “average Joe’s” guide to what the Bible has to say about the 11 most-important topics for men aged 20-50."

Like I said, Joe wants us all to use a '..90s style..' offense to solve modern problems.

I'm not nor have I ever been religious.

Using the bible as a life guide works for some, but not me.

When things get tough, I take a medicine called Fu-ck-It-All: after one pill, nothing seems to matter anymore.

You won't see Moe at the bookstore.

But I will be getting my NFL Preseason groove on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

You whiffed twice pal -

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:57 AM

We're not talking to that hand until you stop using it to choke your chicken and go wash it. The Sage of Salisbury did not say "It takes a tough man to choke his little chicken."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs has the franchise record in rushing yards...and receiving yards shattered in one season...so he then brings in Al Saunders to "improve" the offense.

.........FAIL

Posted by: jmicrodoc | July 21, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Man, who'da thot a little quip would stir up such fervor.

Early 80's union busting is where the 'tough man' moniker got it's start, I believe.

Depending on which side you come down on in that argument, you can choose to admonish or admire the man. Also, there were rumors that it wasn't just marigolds that gave the chickens the yellow hue, but small amounts of arsenic.

For a wonderfully bizzare treatment of the Maryland chicken culture, see the movie 'Redneck Zombies'. It's a classic!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

You'd think that taking a team to 4 SBs, winning 3 of them, for a town that had only one miserable appearance in the 40+ SBs afore and since would give you a ticket to ride just about anywhere, but I guess not.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

You whiffed twice pal -

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 9:57 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator |

Stinging rebuttal pal. You're at the top of your game. Don't want to cross you again.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I use to work at a chicken farm hanging chickens (while attending UMES). You have to grab them by their legs and hang them upside down while they get conveyered into a dark room that has the noise of a saw blade spinning. They never knew what was coming.....

Let's see that guy on the Discovery Channel work that job!

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I use to work at a chicken farm hanging chickens (while attending UMES).

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 10:43 AM

That's got to be one of the tougher ways to pay for college, but there's not much other work over here. The two largest employers on the Virginia Eastern Shore are Perdue and Tyson's. And no one who's working there looks forward to going to work.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Man, who'da thot a little quip would stir up such fervor.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 10:36 AM |

You may be right about the union busting. I didn't realize that the chickens had organized themselves into a union. I thought the "tough" part came from the rigorous inspections that far exceeded anything the USDA had mandated. The sarcastic, condescending, snarky tone Perdue used in his commercials about government inspections was what brought him fame and fortune in the Reagan Era. "What do they know ... "

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

TE - Full Disclosure - I lasted all of 2 weeks. IT was a couple of us that worked there from the college. It was 70% Illeagal Immigrants thst were working there.

Actually, illeagals work all the traditional Eastern Shore jobs now. Such as picking crab meat out of live crabs and hanging live chickens. There was big round up of them by ICE at one of those chicken plants recently. And I read in the paper that the crab plants pays a guy to bring workers to pick/pull crab meat. And the wages are extremely low....

You are right, jobs a few and far between on the eastern shore. My school was in the poorest per capita county in MD. Their biggest source of revenue comes from having one of the 3 Marylands Penintentary's (ECI, which I believe is also the biggest) and having the Landfill. Talk about health issues....

I eventually worked at the cafeteria. It was cool, and I never had to spend money on food again.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Tango Whiskey Echo November Tango Yankee Oscar.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 21, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that the chickens had organized themselves into a union.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 21, 2009 11:11 AM

LOL. Easy target for unionizers. Lousy working conditions, many occupational hazards, no medical benefits, and the wages are, well, ...

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

twentyo?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I never knew that football could make you an expert on theology or an expert on how to live your life. Our society is funny that way. We buy products that are endorsed by celebrities that barely made it through basic basket-weaving 101, but we absolutely believe them when they say the new laundry detergent is "safer for your floors and the environment, too". Some guy loses a hundred pounds and suddenly he's a sub sandwich genius endorsing Subway. Some guy wins a NASCAR race and that suddenly qualifies him to endorse and automobile that is nowhere close to the car he drives on the race track. Next thing you know, we'll be thinking a guy can run a football team after building a marketing firm. Oh, wait...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"I never knew that football could make you an expert on theology... "

Amen

(no pun intended)

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I guess I must be in the minority. I see nothing wrong with what Gibbs is doing. He's not trying to rob you of your money. He's not forcing you to listen to him.

Gibbs has proven he is a morally sound person. He's a man who beleives in his faith and feels he knows his calling and he is following it.

I found the 11 things very interesting as a man between 20-50 and can concur autmatically on atleast half the list as I am/have gone through these things.

I feel I can read through BS (*Cough* Joel Olsteen *Cough* Crefelo Dollar *cough*). And since I already am familar with Joe's background outside football, I would think to buy the book to help me help myself with my inner issues. Whatever it takes....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

yeah, it's not like the guy didn't have a ton of success putting his principles to work - not just taking donations, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Guys,
I'd take football advice from Joe Gibbs all day long. The guy proved he belongs among the elite of the elite. However, I choose to get my moral compass calibrated another way. If you want to buy the book, be my guest. I am sure Joe will be happy about that. I'm just saying I don't need a football coach interpreting the bible for me.

By the way, when was Gibbs last in town? Did he come to any games last year? Don't you think it seems a little ingenuine that he only comes back to Washington to promote a book?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's one for the thumb:

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault in a civil lawsuit, his lawyer said, denying the claim.

The lawsuit was filed Friday in Washoe County District Court accusing Roethlisberger of assaulting a woman in July 2008.

_______________________________

So you 'claim' you've been assaulted and sue for money, but won't criminally prosecute?

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs comments about QBs' in this league are telling for Campbell. I have always been of the opinion that Campbell has to me more gunslinger and willing to curse out his O'line and receivers.

Receivers tend not to get open deep when you don't throw the ball deep enough and give them a chance to go get.

A QB can help his O'Line by being just a bit more agile and he should also impart a few choice words ever' now and then when they screw up.

Campbell has to step up this year in performance and in mental attitude.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"...I see nothing wrong with what Gibbs is doing. He's not trying to rob you of your money..."

To be serious, more successful people need to speak out in our society about how to do things the right way.

And if they can do it without injecting religion, well, that's even better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"I never knew that football could make you an expert on theology... "

I don't think he has ever said he is. He is sharing with those who want to hear/read what he believes has made him the man that he is. It's no different than a financial whiz sharing tips on how to be successful in the stock market. I'll never understand why some take offense/get defensive when others share their views on faith, particularly when they do so in a non-judgmental form.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 21, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 21, 2009 12:00 PM

No. Lots of people admire Joe Gibbs and will be glad to read his book. He has more admirers here than in, say, Dallas or Philadelphia.

As for watching games last year, WTF? Put him in the owners' box, or anywhere in the stadium, and everyone will start talking about how Zorn's on his way out.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

And if they can do it without injecting religion, well, that's even better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 21, 2009 12:08 PM

Moe, Joe Gibbs can't do it "without injecting religion" because that's a large part of who he is. It's like trying to separate the yolk from the white in scrambled eggs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 21, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead, Unfortunetely, Jesus/Muhammad/Jacob/Abraham/Etc. are not alive to personally sell yourself to any of their religions. They depend on everyday people to bring them to their religion.

1st, it was Moses who was politacal leader cast away. The 12 dicsiples are the perfect example. Peter was a fisherman and Matthew was a Tax Collector. Unfortunetly, Football coach wasn't a job back then or one of the 12 may have been an NFL Coach...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Well I got no problem with anyone who wants to sell a book these days.

Seems like an up hill battle by all accounts.

Seems like everyone that works in Washington ends up writing one.

Yesterday it was burgers, today its chicken.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator,
I did not say I don't admire Joe Gibbs. I think he was the greatest Redskins coach, ever, but that doesn't make him an expert on how people should run their lives. I won't buy the book. That' my perogative - just like it's your perogative to do the opposite.

learnedhand1,
I don't have a problem with people sharing their views. I can listen or choose not to. As far as Gibbs not being around, and how it would be interpreted: please. He has no problem suggesting that Campbell should just shut up and play. Joe Gibbs retired when everyone on the team and even the fans believed he would be back for another season. He told us all season long that he intended to work until the end of his contract. Then, when the season was over, he left and didn't even look back. Now he comes back into town playing off of his connection to the Redskins. I do see that as ingenuine.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 21, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Scrambled eggs! Again with the chicken references...Okay.

Here's a link for those of you with some time on your hands, or better yet put it in your Netflicks que, you have to stick with it to fully appreciate it.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 21, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs can do whatever he wants in my opinion. He should never have to buy a meal in DC for the rest of his life.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 21, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse
You too can find salvation for $29.99.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 21, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess Redskins Stadium isn't the only NFL stadium the Steelers invaded last year....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to work through some issues with some Kardin budget software ... anybody here figured that out completely yet?

Posted by: dcsween | July 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Joe Gibbs’s Game Plan for Life is an “average Joe’s” guide to what the Bible has to say about the 11 most-important topics for men aged 20-50. Topics such as: finances, relationships, living a life of purpose, finding the right vocation, physical, emotional, and spiritual health, and overcoming sin and addictions."--GIBBS BOOK

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Don't get me wrong, Gibbs is a football hero to me and any true Redskin fan. While I dont' agree with his politics or his fundamentalist believs I respect him and his opinions enormously.

That said, I'm not sure a guy who almost killed himself with overwork, and who spent his nights away from his family consistently for a "game" is the most qualified person to write a book of life advice.

He is, however, a celebrity, which is all it takes these days and usually required to get published.

Posted by: TheCork | July 21, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I use to work at a chicken farm hanging chickens (while attending UMES).

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 21, 2009 10:43 AM

That makes you a Chickenhanger.

Posted by: TheCork | July 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sure seems like Gibbs needs a "second job" after giving up the HC position with the Skins. 'Pears to support my suspicions that he left because of Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

These people who deride Gibb's '90's style offense' spend way too much time watching the 'Skins vs. all the successful teams in the NFL today that run the same damn thing but WIN with it because they have the PLAYERS to make it work.

1) Carolina
2) Ravens (how could you miss them right up the road a piece?)
3) Arizona
4) Pittsburgh (oh, did they win a Super Bowl last year?)
5) Giants (ok, they don't run a variation, but it certainly isn't more innovative than the 91-92 SB Skins)

"Blame it on the" sny-sny-sny-sny-sny-snyderrato; how often must I say this before it sinks in?

Posted by: pdfordiii | July 21, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:16 PM

Gibbs gave up after seeing Portis pouting on the bench in the 4th quarter during the loss @ Seattle. He's had enough and knew the direction where the team was heading.

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 22, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse