Gregg Williams Interviewing Today

Every indication I continue to get is that Gregg Williams is by far the leading candidate for this job. He is to meet with Dan Snyder today for the first of what could very lengthy meetings, league sources said.

There is always a possibility the meetings with Williams do not go well. Clearly the owner will want to feel him out on many levels. But the strong support for him within the locker room and staff will be major factors in his favor.

Spoke to people close to Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, who was the first person to interview on Thursday, and they say that Schwartz came away believing Williams would be the guy. The source said Schwartz believes the process will be short and that no GM will be hired--although there could be changes on the offensive side of the ball regardless of the coach.

Spoke to numerous agents again for other high-profile coaches and they all believe the job is Williams's to lose.

Also, I know ESPN and others have reported Russ Grimm interviewed Friday. Someone did indeed meet with Snyder, but Grimm's agent has told several people it was not his client and sources in the Cardinals' front office have said that Grimm did not interview. The Redskins will not confirm any interview with Grimm.

I also learned through a league source that Indy assistants Ron Meeks and Jim Caldwell are candidates for interviews and the Redskins would like permission to meet with them, but they would not be available until the Colts' season is over and this could be well wrapped up by then.

The Redskins must interview at least one minority candidate to comply with NFL rules. Greg Blache, defensive coordinator, has told people he has no interest in the head coaching job or in interviewing for it. Both Meeks and Caldwell would be minority candidates.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 12, 2008; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good Night ??
Next: Fassel And Green

Comments

1st!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

2nd! Dang - I was reading and watching Extreme Alaska... Please let it be G Will. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. I see him as the next Bill B.. without the video cheating camera of course

Posted by: Stevida | January 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if he's gonna just walk in there and say "OK, Danny boy, you know this is my job. Have Vinny go get me a soda and here's what I want."

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"There is always a possible the meetings with Williams do not go well and somehow Snyder and he do not mesh. Clearly the owner will want to feel him out on many levels. But the strong support for him within the locker room and staff will be major factors in his favor as well."

This paragraph could be applied to each and every canidate. Why point this out for just one canidate??

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

How can "strong support in the locker room" be applied to any candidate except Williams?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"there would be on GM hired"

Did you mean no GM hired or One GM hired?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I only meant the 1st half of the paragraph (Fact checkers).....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

POSTED 11:35 a.m. EST, January 11, 2008

GRIMM INTERVIEW CONFIRMED

Despite a report suggesting that our own report regarding rumors of a Friday interview by the Redskins of Cards offensive line coach Russ Grimm are wr-wr-wr-bogus, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that, indeed, Redskins owner Dan Snyder and V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato met with Grimm in Arizona.

We can't, and won't, take credit for "reporting" this. We heard a rumor to that effect, and couldn't confirm it. So while we appreciate the fact that Ryan O'Halloran of the Washington Times attributed the item to us as a "report," it simply wasn't.

But, in fairness, there are reports that Grimm wasn't interviewed on Friday. Per Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, "There have been rumors today that Grimm had either traveled to Washington to interview or that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder was flying to Phoenix to talk to him. Turns out neither one is true."

from PFT.com

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why people are excoriating Jasno for his stream of consciousness posts on the blog. He is simply telling us what's going on, or what his sources are telling him is what's going on. Just go with the flow.

I bet we'll know the final decision before the end of the week. Whether it's Todd Bowles (God willing the Cowboys lose) or Jim Caldwell (hopefully not, I want the Colts win to force the Pats matchup), they'll be able to satisfy the Rooney Rule and Barno will have to find something else to kvetch about.

Repeat after me: it's just football.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Source: Codename "Curveball"

More to follow...

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OMG! I keep seeing posts saying listen to the players etc on hiring Williams....Well what do you expect? The PLAYERS AND COACHES HAVE THEIR JOBS ON THE LINE OF COURSE THEY WANT WIALLIMAS>>>>DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

amen p diddy...isnt he doing exactly what the blog is for. i love having the rumors, conjectors, opinions, inside view...

i am really truly flabbergasted by the blow back. I love the info, its called f-u-n...isn't this what its suppossed to be about...

and by the way no journalism laws are being dishonored...

and excellent points on the larger media issues

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE, Gregg Williams...do not screw up this interview!!!!

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

YEA! It will be interesting to find out (if we ever do) who was here yesterday and if it was Russ Grimm - we know that it was at least someone from AZ - based on the stalker's tracking of Redskins One! :)

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

To say nothing of the fact that this is our Super Bowl, our playoffs! A rumor that turns out to be false is kind of like a play action pass. A free agent we covet that someone else grabs from us is kind of like Julius Jones ripping one up the middle. A draft pick we don't like is kind of like an Al Saunders third down call.

If only we all got big fat rings and a cool trophy for this.

Who's got picks for the weekend? Mine: Packers, Giants, Colts, Patriots.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"there would be on GM hired..."
Is this what you call burying the lead (or lede)?
If this isn't a typo, it gives me hope, no matter who they hire. Unless it's Matt Millen of course.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Now that I reread it there is a typo. I hope it's the only one.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Cowher makes any comment about not wanting to coach this year tonight during the pre-game?

Posted by: jmich001 | January 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm an idiot. "It's no GM hired." I think I'll take a nap.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE tell me that GM was not a typo!

Posted by: Down777866 | January 12, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"there would be on GM hired"

Did you mean no GM hired or One GM hired?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2008 02:43 PM

Man, Jasno, I love the effort and the dedication to the blog, but could you please, please, please take 30 secs to proofread!?!?!

I assumed "there would be on GM hired" was a typo for "there would be a GM hired." It didn't occur to me that it could read "no GM" or "one GM".

The GM issue is pretty major - please clarify your intent.

Posted by: CBT | January 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

If Danny and Vinny did fly to Phoenix yesterday, there are lots of people they could have met with (other than Grimm). Pete Carroll is a short flight away in LA, when he isn't in Hawaii on vacation or on the road recruiting. Dennis Erickson runs the football program at ASU in Tempe. Both are former head coaches in the NFL. There are probably similar others who don't have current NFL affiliations. (Where is Denny Green hiding out these days?)

"No sacred cows of journalism were harmed in the making of this blog post."

Posted by: tafka | January 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure it was "NO" GM hired, or JLC would have made a MUCH bigger deal of it. It's status quo, that's why it is a tossed away comment.

"Spoke to numerous agents again for other high profile coaches and they all believe it is Williams's job to lose."

That's all well and good, but you could explain HOW these numerous agents have this belief--do they have inside information, or are they simply speculating on how they think it should be working in DC?

Posted by: edmj | January 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

How often do teams have "secret interviews" with potential head coaches? I always thought that the people being interviewed (and their agents) would want to make their name public just to jack up the interest in themselves.

Posted by: david | January 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how often in happens, but it was secret interviews with Joe Gibbs in 2004 that got him back to DC.

Posted by: tafka | January 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Greg be a team player. Fulfill the Rooney Rule and get this over!

Posted by: cangle12 | January 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it's "No GM." I read what I wanted to read. Remember, little Dan says, "if it's not broke, why fix it."
Ever notice how guys who say "If it ain't broke don't fix it." are almost always referring to something that really should be replaced or at least repaired? It's what you say when your car is leaking oil, billowing smoke, knocking and wheezing but still, technically running.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Why all the Hate. Jason ROCKS and everyone knows its a typo..there will be no GM and what concerns me is the so called "changes" to the offensive side of the ball. Wonder what they want to change...I hope its the O LINE AND A BIG WR!!

Posted by: Shady0216 | January 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This is who I WANT to win this weekend....

Packers, Colts, Giants, Jags

BUT I have a feeling the winners will be:

Seahawks, Colts, Cowboys, Pats

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Assuming that Gregg Williams is retained, what befalls the fate of Al Saunders? Williams would probably only have one year to impress, especially with Cowher on deck in '09. If Saunders is retained, Todd Collins as starting QB provides best odds for immediate and consistent offensive success for next year and limited to that year. The loss of Joe Gibbs has dramatically shortened the horizons of the Skin's future plans and probably exposes a weaknesses in the Skin's somewhat murky management structure. If Williams is made head coach, and a GM isn't hired, he probably has to replace Saunders (to be effectively in charge) . . . Collins leaves and Jason is placed in on offense that is tailored to him.

Posted by: mauchsns | January 12, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Greg Blache being the head coach is the biggest fairy tail I have ever hard.

(Bill Clinton) Darn Registration

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

What about Ernest Byner in the Front Office.

He did a good job in Baltimore and can keep his job as running back coach.

"Run forest Run" can't take that much time.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Janso you are likable enough.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

ummmmm people didn't you guys look at the most astonishing piece of info in this post:

...though there could be changes made on the offensive side of the ball regardless of the coach.

can you say bye bye to weird Al and his SYSTEM...

diddy, cL, let's just respectuflly agree to disagree on the criticism of jason's reporting. no need to throw stones from way up high off of that white horse...so we had people who disagreed the way cowher drum beating/reporting was handled and we have the other side...

seriously can we please stop telling people to stop expressing their opinions? if not for anything else than for this "We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.".

please stop.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Janso I don't think you should work so hard. We will find out who is coach soon enough.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Why would Saunders need to be replaced in order for Williams to be effectively in charge? That makes no sense whatsover. Why in the world would Williams/Snyder want our future QB Jason Campbell to have to learn yet another system? And our backup QB Collins knows Saunders system well. Letting Saunders leave would be a HUGE mistake.

I can see Breaux and some of the older offensive coaches being fired, though. I do hope they keep Buges.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The Culinary worker union just endorsed "Greg Williams"

John Kerry Just endorsed Grimm so I think that is over with. (what was he thinking)

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Buges is gone. Why stay at his age with out Gibbs?

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I read in the Times yesterday that Buges wants to continue coaching....and the O line loves him.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That is great! I can't think of a better o-line coach out there except maybe Grim.

I was just making assumtions. :)

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who Jasno's Deep Throat is, but I suspect that by "changes to the offense", it means either that Saunders will be given complete control of playcalling, and will be free to nudge Gibbs' guys out the door, (I hope we keep Lazor, Byner, and Buges at least, though) or else that Weird Al will be himself nudged out the door, and Grilliams will start looking for his own guy to run the offense. Since Saunders and Grilliams effectively held the same rank under the team's structure, I wouldn't be surprised if Grilliams felt like he needed someone who wouldn't be resentful of his promotion.

If you're an offensive guru with a track record like Al Saunders, it's one thing to be overruled by a guy like Joe Gibbs. It's a little bit different to have to submit yourself to the will of the Manboobs.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think if Buges cries just before the interview he will be in.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"(and, really, hating on Jasno for reporting stream of consciousness stuff PALES in comparison to his colleagues who rolled over like dogs during the run up to the Iraq War, or to his colleagues who are currently absolutely clueless about how to read poll numbers in the current presidential race. Seriously, save your righteous indignation for something that matters.)"

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 02:50 PM
WELL SAID, PDiddy...I might note you left out those fawning over Obama...but seriously, seems there's enough criticism of anything Redskins on here w/o adding Jason to the list...

Posted by: forces | January 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Stream of consciousness is great. It's what blogs are about. It's the constant mispellings (god I hope i spelled that correctly) that make this thing hard to read sometimes. Honestly, ALL programs have spell check these days.

Posted by: garyiden | January 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

What was Gregg's set up with the Bills? Did he call plays on O.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

garyiden

Go to Hill, and F O C K your METHER

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 03:54 PM

Obviously, this is all unsubstantiated speculation. But I mentioned before that Williams might have a bone to pick with Weird Al after years of stout defense carrying an anemic offense.

As Freakzilla pointed out to me, however, the offense over the past 2 years was more a Gibbs/Saunders hybrid which yielded mixed results.

I do think that after 4 years of frustration with an unreliable offense, Williams will be a lot more hands on with the offense than people think. I'm sure he saw things the offense was doing that he most definitely had strong opinions about, even if he didn't resort to taking a swing at the offensive coach a la Buddy Ryan.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

forces

There are forces against Change change change change change change change change change change change change change.

I don't the east coast is going for it.

Posted by: mul | January 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who Jasno's Deep Throat is...

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 04:02 PM

Codename: Curveball

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, that should be NO GM.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain to me how Kenny Alpert is on Fox's number 2 team? And please, could Tony S. please just go away!

That said, GO PACKERS!! (LOVE that it is snowing!)

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, that should be NO GM.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 04:21 PM

No, that SHOULD be "a GM". Oh, Danny Boy....

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I just bet the Seahawks. Adjust your bets accordingly...

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I am sick to death of hearing the GM talk since we all know it will never happen. Just let it go.

That being said, is it possible they could bring in someone to simply consult on the draft? Since we have a pretty full draft this season (for once) help is needed.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

A peccable start by the Packers. Wear no sleeves, fumble, and fall down.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

please stop.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 03:50 PM

Thank you.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

A peccable start by the Packers. Wear no sleeves, fumble, and fall down.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 04:35 PM

Repeat as necessary.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The following is a freshly updated list of comments made this week by the Washington Post's Redskins beat reporter, Jason La Canfora. If the readers of this blog don't get a good laugh out of this, then you just don't have a very good sense of humor. Back and forth and then back again, rumors and innuendo, contradictions, denying the very rumors he helped create.

Good stuff.

"This franchise went from 900 million to 1.5 billion since Gibbs came here in 2004. That's the bottom line here. Snyder is not gonna give the head coaching job to someone that doesn't have that big name, that sex appeal, who is not going to help him sell club level seats, and expensive suites." -Beat Reporter, Tuesday

"Cowher fits the bill for what Snyder would be attracted to. Now, as I mentioned earlier Cowher would want full roster and personnel control and probably want to bring some of his own people in as well" -Beat Reporter, Tuesday

"Cowher is off the market...He knows the kind of $$$ Snyder spends and he is not wavering in his stance" -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"For all of the yapping about continuity and stability, sure sounds like a blood-letting is upon us. Owner Dan Snyder was given multiple opportunities to endorse an in-house candidate, and specifically Gregg Williams, and declined to do so." -Beat Reporter, Tuesday

"I'd be stunned if the Skins don't reach out to Cowher soon" -Beat Reporter, Tuesday

"If it's Gregg Williams, the process will be over in 3-5 days" -Beat Reporter, Tuesday

"Got an email from one of those on-line casinos with the odds for the next coach of the Skins. It's notable for what it doesn't say more than what it does:
Gregg Williams - 2/1
The Field - 2/1
Bill Cowher - 5/1
Al Saunders - 5/1
Brian Billick - 6/1
Jason Garrett - 9/1
Mike Singletary - 12/1
Rex Ryan - 12/1
Jim Caldwell - 15/1
So, basically, Vegas has no idea at this point" -Beat Reporter, Wednesday

"Several NFL sources said that they took the identification of Schwartz as a candidate as another sign that Williams, who the players strongly support, does not appear to be the front runner." -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"It doesn't come off as a great sign that they bring in Williams's former assistant, obviously" -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"We've just started this process. It's the first interview of many. We need to slow down. It's impossible to see the entire picture right now. It's a fluid situation and this isn't free agency - you don't hire every guy you bring into town." -Beat Reporter, Thurdsay

"I thought he and Gibbs could have sent a much stronger message about the validity of their in house people as candidates at the press conference" -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"Wouldn't it be an indictment of this entire Joe Gibbs 2.0 era if Snyder went through the process then handed it over to someone with little-to-no head coaching experience - without at least talking to the in-house guys first" -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"Greg Williams will most definitely be a part of the process and, as I posted earlier, he is expected to interview at the end of the cycle, likely the final interview." -Beat Reporter, Friday

"But to this point I do not have anything firm enough to meet the Post's standards" -Beat Reporter, Saturday

"the consensus I keep coming to is Williams is the guy" -Beat Reporter, Saturday

"It would really be something to have none of Gibbs's guys even get an interview" -Beat Reporter, Thursday

"Gregg Williams is by far the leading candidate for this job." -Beat Reporter, Saturday

Wow. Just....wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Playoff Picks:

PACKERS over Seahawks
Giants over COWBOYS

PATRIOTS over Jaguars (In a close one)
Chargers over COLTS

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Dude - TWO fumbles in a MINUTE! This game might get real ugly REAL FAST!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Encore!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Though in many ways his comments speak for themselves, my main beef with them is why put things like this out there this week:

and

"For all of the yapping about continuity and stability, sure sounds like a blood-letting is upon us. Owner Dan Snyder was given multiple opportunities to endorse an in-house candidate, and specifically Gregg Williams, and declined to do so"

and

IF THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT HE IS THE LEADING CANDIDATE FOR THE JOB, WHY PUT THAT STUFF OUT THERE?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Is this an actual Barno exacerbator? Hysterical!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

BARNO!!!

GIVE IT A FREAKING REST!! IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!

If Jasno's writing pisses you off, DON'T READ IT!

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the guy who's driving the cart in Green Bay? He's wearing a gray hoodie and blue SHORTS.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

PBL4, just go down and check who the message is posted by. That'll tell you whether to read it or not. Though by that logic you probably wouldn't be reading this.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Smack - who are you rooting for in this one? Just curious who you would rather see next week if you guys win tomorrow.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind reading posts from you, SMACK. You're at least respectful that this is a 'Skins site.

How about Grant doesn't get the rock for the entire rest of the first half?

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

One order of Packers please, Suzanne! But I echo the tenor of your post. That's no guarantee tomorrow. We have been playing pressively lately.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I think Jasno (or his source, codename: Curveball) is just putting his/her wishes and thoughts out there.

One thing Jasno (aka "The Beat Reporter") mentioned in the past is that the Skins organization is secretive. That's one of the most illuminating, and evidently truest, comments in this whole series of threads.

Where there a lack of verifiable facts, rumor and innuendo abound. And that's what's happening.

I still love all the effort and hard work The Beat Reporter puts into this blog, and it would be a boring blog if there weren't well articulated differences of opinion. That's why I appreciate your posts, too.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

That Hasselback NFL ad was LOL funny.

"Mr Hasselback, can you get Brett Farve's autogragh for me?"

That's when he knew he hadn't arrived yet.

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Man, this game is right outta Central Casting. Can you beat this sjk! Love me some football.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

It needs to snow a little harder, then it will be perfect.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Smack - I also think that it will depend on which Eli shows up - they play well away, so I think it's goign to be a great game.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Iiiii'm.... dreaming... of a whiiite.... playoffs

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the gnomes?
Send in the gnomes.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Suzanne, what frightens me more is which Romo shows up. It doesn't really matter which Eli shows up. We'll still grant the Giants 29 points. Our defense is pervious.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Could some of these interviews also be for potential coaching positions?

IOW, use the head coaching process as a feeler to get a read on assistant coaches.

That may not be fair to the applicants (it isn't) but it sure seems obvious.

Williams to head post, Schwartz to defensive coordinator, Grimm to line coach.

It's pretty clear to me that there will be no blood letting. Changes around the edges and preferably from within.

'Course, if they go 4-12 next year, then all hell breaks loose.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

As much as I want Romo to throw 5 INTS, I think he'll be fine - especially if he has TO, like it appears he will.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

dealer i know you have problems writing but reading now too? neither diddy or i told anyone to stop, simply stated or opinion and voiced our confusion at people, never "silenced anyone"

if barno wants to continue sounding like a paranoid moron, i say keep on keepin on!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

28 points in a half...and snow! sweet!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Seahawks kinda suck 1. when they're not in Seattle, and 2. when they didn't just pick up a fumble in Green Bay territory.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

in a quarter i mean....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

can you say bye bye to weird Al and his SYSTEM...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 03:50 PM

Ever think it means they are actually gonna let him open up the offense more. It is pretty obvious it works from the last month of the season. Campbell just has to run it better. As much as I kinda wanted Gibbs to stick around we may be better off without his ultra conservative influence. I also see no reason why Buges wouldn't stick around. Just because Gibbs felt the need to spend more time with his family doesn't mean he has to hang it up too. Don Breaux maybe not so much.

Posted by: cdubb | January 12, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

That would be good, Suzanne. We are 1-0 when Romo throws 5 picks. (Note: may or not be true).

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Williams to head post, Schwartz to defensive coordinator, Grimm to line coach.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 12, 2008 05:18 PM

Could be for line coach.... I actually had this same idea earlier though I sorta assumed they were interested in Grimm possibly replacing Weird Al.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Pack Hawks game is good watching now aint it

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hawks put the ball on the ground on their own 10.

Turnabout is fair play.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

So could they in theory give an interview to Gray and be in compliance with the Rooney Rule

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

So I love the fact that the NFL finally has Team Captain logos on the uniforms, but I really wish that teams could have unique looking logos rather than the tacky block C that they are using.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The Verizon guy loses a little of his hotness with the whole giving-birth thing....

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Grimm, it was my understanding that since he has a contract with AZ he could only be let out of it if offered a Head Coaching position. So why all this talk of him being made an assistant?

Or is that not correct?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

How nice would it be guys...to see the Redskins under willaims and carry this emotion and togetherness into next season and win it all...and while that last few minutes ticks off that clock Gibbs is down on the sidelines celebrating with the team! I love iT!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 12, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

...As much as I kinda wanted Gibbs to stick around we may be better off without his ultra conservative influence...

Posted by: cdubb | January 12, 2008 05:26 PM

True dat! Although in fairness, Gibbs did take some gutsy chances on 4th downs this season, and the offense just didn't come through like they should have.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Man, who's this Bigby guy? Lights out...

Posted by: dlhaze | January 12, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Or is that not correct?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 05:37 PM

Lisa, I'm under the impression that Grimm COULD leave for a coordinator's job, but he would need the Cardinals to consent to his leaving. If he were to be hired as a HC, he would not need permission to leave.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

this is a great game...is it me or do the packers seem to have an endless supply of long haired DBs....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Bigby, sounds like a hobbit name to me

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Bigby is bringing the wood.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey alright Tom Petty at the Super Bowl. Finally someone I like who won't show their nipples.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I firmly believe that the BEST thing about Tom Petty are his nipples.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh don't speak too soon - rumor this week was that Paula Abdul was in talk to perform at the SB at some point - because you know I have been waiting to see a Tom Petty/Paula Abdul duet - live!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 05:47 PM

It's like that new movie -- Seahawks vs. Predator.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude,

You really need an editor, to look at what you are writing before you post. This article is very informative and also insightful, however it does not read well.

Keep up the good work, though.

Posted by: pstylee | January 12, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"It's like that new movie -- Seahawks vs. Predator."

Lol, yeah except Favre is the alien.

That guy lives for these games and it's showing.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Curt Menafee says that "Shaun Alexander is running well today." (Right after Alexander picks up 4 yards, and right before he loses 4.)

If he's running so well, how come he has 6 carries for 6 yards at halftime?

Idiot.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Really milking the snow angle now.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Is this an actual Barno exacerbator? Hysterical!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 04:48 PM

A) No, it's the actual Barno...
B) "exacerbator" isn't a word

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Once again the Seahawks are showing they have no heart. I really belive if that field goal was made they would have been done.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

BARNO!!!

GIVE IT A FREAKING REST!! IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!

If Jasno's writing pisses you off, DON'T READ IT!

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 04:50 PM

Nope.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno I really want to know why you are so angry with JLC? Yes he has made mistake and I haven't agreed with him on many points. But it just seems you really have something against him.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

B) "exacerbator" isn't a word

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 06:16 PM

Ouchy!

You make it a word every day.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I was eating when Favre made that awesome underhand throw at the end of the first half, so I'll say it now:

Man, do I love Brett Favre.

The dude is magic. I'll be sad when he finally hangs it up.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

jm220 is Barno! And Boofer!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"I actually had this same idea earlier though I sorta assumed they were interested in Grimm possibly replacing Weird Al"

Yeah, that makes more sense, esp. for Grimm.

Going to the OL would be a step down. At this stage of his post-playing career, I don't think he'd make it.

Besides, maybe Williams wants another guy.

I just don't see Saunders staying. Or Breaux. Or Buges. All of the offensive coaches probably go except for the younger guys (Byner et al.).

I think Snyder and Gibbs and Williams want to make as few changes as possible. And the changes they do make will be with people they know or worked with.

Transition; not revolution.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 12, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Exacerbator and Commander: The Far Side of the Blog

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Sportsnet just confirmed that Snyder interviewed Gregg Williams today...said it was an all day affair.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

That Subway commercial with the ref talking about the make-up call is classic.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Are you trying to step to me Smack1? Where is my hammer? lol

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The four assistants who date back to Gibbs' first Redskins tenure -- offensive line coach Joe Bugel, 67; game-planners Don Breaux, 67, and Jack Burns, 59; and tight ends coach Rennie Simmons, 65 -- all would like to return in 2008, even though they returned to Washington to work for their mentor. ...

Posted by: jimwell | January 12, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The dude is magic. I'll be sad when he finally hangs it up.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 06:22 PM

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I want the Pack to win the Super Bowl this year. Favre can go out on top, capping a career year during his final season, and... well, if the Packers win, it means that neither the Patriots nor the Cowboys won, so.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I like how Mike Carey does the wind-up before pointing to the offense or defense on a penalty.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Alexander is soft.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Bigby's MO now seems to be to knock the fillings out of anyone with the ball.

Not a bad MO, as long as you make the tackle.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to see the 2008 model, jm220. Seattle might not be done here. At least if they had a defense.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed with the GB defense on this drive, overall. This is where you've got to drive the stake in.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Did Marcus Pollard even touch that?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

You can't kick it when you have no D

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Man, I wish it would snow like that out here.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla I hope you are no where near New Jersey my friend. No more so for the rest of winter.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

and cL, barno isn't the only one that noticed the flipflopiness reporting. he was the only one who actually did the legwork to post the quotes. there (gotta go change poopy diaper)

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Goose looks like a big ol' eskimo.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I am LOVING the snow!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

and back...yeah...so there were others including self and am not going to go back and look up who the others were...

and yeah, if we were sittin face to face this would be a much better argument...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

yeah snow's fun

btw, earlier losable type ate my post which read something like this:

today's stone cold lock stock bet yo maama's house picks:

seattle over green bay and
san diego over indy

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Since the first 75 seconds of the game, the Packers have outscored the Seahawks 42-6.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

sorry you guys couldn't cash in on my free picks

smack, you're probly happy

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Dealer.....huh?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 06:31 PM

and it was at Five Guys...make whatever you want from that...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

jm220: Olympia, Washington.

Were it just a little bit colder here in the winter, we'd get a ton of snow. Thing is, when it's cold enough to snow, it's usually because the sky is clear, thus no cloud blanket to keep in the heat. Vice versa, when we've got precipitation (which we have in spades in the winter), the cloud cover keeps things warm enough to make the precipitation mostly rain. We've had a few minimal snowfalls this winter, but the accumulation has been gone by the end of the day each time.

What we need is a well-timed arctic air mass.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the snow.

And the outcome :)

Lots of dejected Seahawks fans here at the bar.

Do we have a head coach yet?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

yeah cL. yeah. that's right baby.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Williams is the best choice. I don't understand why Singletary hasn't been interviewed. The mention of changes on the offensive side of the ball sounds like cause for concern. Also, the lack of a quality GM remains a glaring weakness.

Posted by: ramseydb3747 | January 12, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

where is the twelth man now, jack*sses..

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | January 12, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

If Crazy Al is set on starting Todd next year I have no problems with us replacing him.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

and it was at Five Guys...make whatever you want from that...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 06:57 PM

Rather than Mortons?

The NoVA Five Guys or the Geogetown one?

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I know it's sour grapes, but for me this is the best possible outcome, not only with the Packers winning, but with them raising the Seahawks fans' hopes so high with that beginning, only for them to come crashing down.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I can honestly say I was never worried when Seattle went up 14-0 so quickly. Like Sam Huff said during the 2nd quarter of SB XXII, "First horse out of the gate doesn't always win the race."

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I wasn't worried about the Seahawks being up 14-0 either. Not in Green Bay.

Suck on it, Seattle.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Where is my apology? Comeback player of the year. Bandwagon fan.

Posted by: GregEllis | January 12, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

ashburn 2 minutes from skins park...also heard that snyder's putting diet restrictions for double G in his contract...so

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

five guys in ashburn only 5 minutes from skins park

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

So, can it be argued that the Packers are effectively winning this game 35-6? If you take away scores off of short fields caused by turnovers?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

So, can it be effectively argued that the Packers are effectively winning this game 35-6? If you take away scores off of short fields caused by turnovers?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

GregEllis,
Actually if you search the archive, I have issued an apology. But if I must reiterate, I didn't give you enough credit, grandpa!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Dealer was making that up about Five Guys....I heard Snyder was interviewing candidates at his home.

Les Carpenter wrote this in the Post today - on the Seahawks/Packers game:

"Holmgren has done his best coaching job in recent years and finally has Hasselbeck to a point where he is at least Favre's equal....if not better." He then predicted the Seahawks to win.

Les? Hasselbeck better than Favre? Do you ever watch football?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Les Carpenter wrote this in the Post today - on the Seahawks/Packers game:

Les? Hasselbeck better than Favre? Do you ever watch football?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

five guys in ashburn only 5 minutes from skins park

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Les Carpenter wrote this in the Post today - on the Seahawks/Packers game:

Les? Hasselbeck better than Favre? Do you ever watch football?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Les Carpenter wrote this in the Post today - on the Seahawks/Packers game:

Les? Hasselbeck better than Favre? Do you ever watch football?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Finally, Aaron Rodgers is in. This is brutal.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Loseable Type be going crazy.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Lisa's post was better the fourth time around :-)

Ah, poor Seattle. So sad. Maybe they'll take that damn flag off the Space Needle now.

It sure sounded from his pressers this week as if Holmgren was pondering calling it quits. That dude has earned a trip on his Harley to never never land. His kids are grown, his wife does some amazing charity work (with his daughter), and he could go out knowing that he has a solid team to hand off to his successor. I love that dude. One of the all-time greats, and a sure fire Hall of Famer in my book.

And, I think his successor is going to be Jim Mora, Jr.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

it was five guys in ashburn. and snyder also is including diet restrictions for double G in the contract...hey dan cares about his employees' health...

speaking of health...watched sicko last night...for the first time didn't feel so good about being american in america...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

lisa, one more time! please!

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

They were talking about Seattle's poor performance on the road in the playoffs earlier. Just to add to that, Seattle was only 3-5 on the road this year, and the three teams they beat were a combined 16-32:

49ers (5-11)
Rams (3-13)
Eagles (8-8)

That right there is why I didn't give them a chance of winning this one, the heck with their road playoff record.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I agree with you about Holmgren...think he will now retire.

On the pregame show today Jay Glazer mentioned the Skins may interviewing Jim Mora, Jr. and Leslie Frazier.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

you ever notice holmgren NEVER moves on the sidelines. only his hands and neck up. rest of the body stays still.

yeah, he's gone. too bad so sad.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the triple post....

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I ordinarily adore Michael Moore, and I certainly have no love for the insurance companies or big pharma, but that documentary was remarkably slanted. While it's true that many countries have free medical care, they also have huge marginal tax rates. I don't think that will ever fly in the US of A.

I think the country should guarantee insurance for all kids from pre-natal to the age of 18 and force the insurance companies to insure everyone regardless of pre-existing conditions and on a pre-set and regulated fee schedule by age, gender, and specific risk factors (smoker? obese? etc).

Beyond that? Not sure the country will support the taxes necessary to fund it.

Ah, but this is a football blog :-) Do we have a head coach yet?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Bandwagon Michael Moore fan!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Adore Michael Moore????
PDiddy, now I know you are a secret Seachickens fan.

Posted by: forces | January 12, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

EVERY Single time I see Mike Holmgren in any shot or picture one thing always comes to mind......Snausages!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 12, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

We could do it with out raising taxes, but then we would not get as many super cool nuclear bombers and fighter jets.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Snausages!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 12, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

So is Holmgren retired now?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

but the bit about gitmo was a stretch...it's a prison.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

even if you don't like MM you should watch the movie (damn! that sounded so disgusting! yuck! EWE!) ...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

denying health care to 9/11 workers is just wrong. plain and simple.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

denying health care to 9/11 workers is just wrong. plain and simple.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't like MM, but thats not from a political POV but its a film maker to film maker artistic and philosophical POV.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

"Adore" may be a bit of a hyperbole. I do respect his work.

I must say, though...I "adore" this Ryan Grant kid. I hope he finds a lot of success in the NFL.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Beggin' Strips!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Belichick is working on that snausage look himself.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: New England comes out and absolutely shellacks Jacksonville.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Pupperoni.

Snow games are more fun.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

clear crisp skies in new england...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

So how long till NE hands Jax theirs?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Phil Simms the other Boomer Esiason, or is Boomer Esiason the other Phil Simms?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

JB does such a wonderful job. You got to love his interviews.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing a fun first half

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"good night for pitch and catch"

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"I think the country should guarantee insurance for all kids from pre-natal to the age of 18"

Geez, I gotta' pay for the health insurance for Bill Gates' kids?

Surely we can have some means testing for this?

Sorry, back to football..

Ryan Grant, 201 yards? Can't believe that Hawks defense was burned like that.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

good night for pitch and catch

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

And we're off in the blemish the record bowl.

Jags 7-0

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Someone answer me, dernit!!!

(Sorry. Loseable Type.)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding coaching job, for a hispanic.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Someone answer me, dernit!!!

(Sorry. Loseable Type.)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I love that Southwest commerical with the couple at the bank with all of their chains.

Let's go Jags defense!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Chains? Suzanne must be watching the "Late Nite Southwest Commercials".

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

After further review, my post stands

Losable type is charged one timeout

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

um, that should be their "change".

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

um, that should be their "change".

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

um, that should be their "change".

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

After further review, my post stands

Losable type is charged one timeout

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding post, Smack. For a Cowboys fan.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

This blog's response is blinding.

Someone want to do some "percussive maintenance" on the server and raid array?

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Is this a blog about the Redskins coaching search, or a place for losers with no lives to type back and forth all day long?

JLC, MR INSIDER, give us something credible!

Posted by: robncnc5 | January 12, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple post! The blog is killing me right now! (and missed SMACK's comment while it was busy posting my comment THREE TIMES!)

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it's a place for losers to complain about losers blogging all day.

Duh.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

robncnc5, it's Saturday night at 8:44pm on the east coast. If you're such a hotshot, how come you're on the Internets complaining about losers with nothing to do? Surely you have something exciting to do. Or perhaps you can't find your Legos?

It's 5:44pm out West, and, trust me, when New England is done destroying Jacksonville, I'll be out getting highly intoxicated with a bunch of hotties. (well, maybe not the intoxicated part)

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Damn it, diddy.

Now I feel like a loser

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't 10,000 BC look like the dumbest movie ever?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

You're only a loser if you call out other people for doing the same thing as you. Of course, we're all nerds here, so whatever :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

You know what would be great? If X-Men were real and we could pay Storm to go up to New England and make it snow.

Too nerdy? Yeah...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

How much are you paying CynCity to sneak your posts past Loseable Type?

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm paying her in Wallaby Organics Yogurt.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself, Diddy. I am most definitely not a nerd....just a football loving female.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone ever posted this earlier this year. Good article about our hero, Ed Hochuli:

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Wallaby's was on special at Whole Foods last week, four for $5. I got eight. It's a Saturday night and I just went national with that tidbit. Yeah, I'm not a nerd.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

So, when does the shellacking start again?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, $10? That's one whole martini! You're buying yogurt instead of booze? Sad.

I think, by definition, anyone who posts frequently on a blog is a nerd. I think we may need a ruling from Wormser and Lamar on this...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

There's a Wallaby on our dining room table at this very moment. The purple one, can't remember what flavour that is. We can't get out of the grocery store without Nathan Jr. dropping a couple of those things in our cart.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 12, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I rocked the vanilla bean non-fat earlier. No booze, Diddy, just work!

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Nope, Diddy, I think the scoring at home will suffice. No need to bother the judges with this one. We are nerds. Bless us all, every one.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 12, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

J-A-G-S

JAGS
JAGS
JAGS

(Still working on their fight song)

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, the really unreported story here is what, exactly, is an NFL head coaching interview like? There have only been cursory looks at it, but I think it's the kind of puff piece that would be good to do with the eventual Chosen One. I'd love to know how different it is from "Mr." Snyder to, say, Arthur Blank, and how it has evolved from, say, Mr. Cooke and St. Joe to now.

I remember when I first interviewed 12 years ago with my most recent former employer...it was a 12 hour day with 12 different people. I can't imagine the kind of substantive discussions that comprise a 10 hour NFL head coaching interview with a single individual.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Del Rio has to lose the pleather jacket.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

And I think you are wrong, Diddy.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

What am I wrong about this time?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm not so sure that the black pleather/leather jacket thing is still in style. I am a huge fan of suede and cashmere, though. Been searching for a great dark brown suede jacket for a while. I have a trip planned to Montana later in the snow season (once I get somewhat respectable on the mountain), and I'm thinking of hitting up one of those home-made leather joints to get the jacket I really want (or at least pay a local Montana guy to make one for me based on my design)...

Think I should grab one for Del Rio? Do Hispanics wear suede?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

nerds rule
hipsters drool

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Was just wondering...is the "Is Del Rio Hispanic?" conversation the dumbest thing we've ever discussed up here?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody definitively established that Jack Del Rio is hispanic? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Diddy

Just when you thought you were out, I've sucked you back in...

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ramseydb3747 | January 12, 2008 06:59 PM

Interesting opinions. Who do you think would be a better choice than Williams, and why?

Posted by: Alan4 | January 12, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, he played in the Fiesta Bowl.....

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Just passing the time until my neighbor is done putting on her face. (and, as a reluctant metrosexual, it's time for me to put on mine)

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Do the Skins need to interview a minority if they select GW, an in house guy? Or since they have interviewed outsiders already do they lose the in house exemption to the rooney rule.

Posted by: sarahkay | January 12, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

It depends on whether there is language in the assistant's contract that guarantees him the job. Given that the Redskins have interviewed outside already, it would seem that the exception does not apply.

Here's the NFL briefing on the rule from 12/20/02:

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I think the Jags D missed the memo on pressuring Tom Brady. Was he hailing a cab or ordering a round of drinks for the O line on that touchdown?

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for this Cloverfield movie!!!

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the detailed info, I believe your right.

Posted by: sarahkay | January 12, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, kudos to the Jags on this game. I know lots of people predicted this would be close, but this is very impressive.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Close? Close??

I have them winning this puppy. Take it to the bank!

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Your all a pathetic bunch of losers!

brb

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

SMACK

are you bwi?

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I'm curious about Cloverfield myself. I just hope no reviewers claim that it's "Scary as Hell!"

That's what they said about Blair Witch.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Adam,
I'm BUI of Louis Ferdinand Celine and a few Presidentes. But I do live rather close to BWI.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Cloverfield is a JJ Abrams production. I have faith.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wizards beat the Celtics!!!!

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Good post from Barno - whether or not you want to accept it, JLC posted all those contradictory comments within a span of 5 days. Some of it was fact, some of it speculation, and some of it was JLC's negative assumptions about the 'skins organization and Dan Snyder.

First, JLC assumed that Snyder would go for a big name, because that is what he has done in the past, and because he assumes Snyder has learned nothing from Gibbs (maybe he has, maybe he hasn't, who know now?). Then, after Schwartz comes to town he speculates that Snyder might not hire a big name after all, but still assumes Williams is not a leading candidate because Snyder did not openly endorse him at a press conference. According to this logic, an owner should publicly endorse their leading candidates before the hiring process begins, right? OOOkay.

NOW Williams is the leading candidate.

Tomorrow the leading candidate will be the next interviewee.

Posted by: hithere1 | January 12, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Auuuuuugh! That should've been a TD.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

What's Louis Ferdinand Celine?

My inital google for Celine yielded Celine Dion and a French luxury handbag company.

Posted by: argh | January 12, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Adam, I was going to ask the same thing. I found some random author. Surely, a Cowboys fan couldn't be literate enough to, you know, read.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

There was a young coach name of Schwartz
Who loved a good steak down at Mort's
But what about Gregg
The player did beg
The Danny knows nothing 'bout sports!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Someday, I hope I'm lucky enough to sit in a bathtub in the middle of a field with a view of a mountain.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Death on the Installment Plan is the single greatest piece of literature...ever.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I thought the 1991 Washington Redskins Media Guide had that distinction.

Freakzilla, you live in the Northwest. It would be completely in character for you to go do that right now. No one would blink.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, bathtub in a field seems like a lot of work.

Also, we have a hot tub out back.

Also, could Brady have ANY more time to throw the football?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:12 PM

I can put you in touch with a friend in NZ who has this exact setup going. And the drain is in the middle so your wife/girlfriend doesn't have to sit on it. And there are 90,000 peonies. It's quite something.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

You people are scaring me now.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

some random author?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, remember when Green Bay laid the wood to the Seahags today?

That was awesome.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

wine is some random beverage
love is some random emotion
pets are some random animal
barno is some random blogger

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 12, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

That was, what, six hours ago, Freakz?

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...that's an official NFL pleather jacket.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I know! Remember?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Can we just get a nice INT run back for a TD plus a 2pt. conversion so this game can get all tied up?

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Freakzilla. It was wonderful. Is it good the NFL has pleather products? I think so...no animals died in the production of that jacket.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I hate the Patriots.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but a 96 percent completion rate is pretty good.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Welker's gonna have to suck the sweat out of the pits of Belicheat's sweatshirt for that one.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Like freakzilla, I hate the Patriots, but my goodness they are awesome.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 12, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, thanks to Welker, he's probably completed only 93 percent of his passes.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Jacksonville looks pretty good too - I just really do not like the Pats - I just think that the Jags are not going to be able to catch up - only 5 minutes left.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 12, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree, TE.

I think they've been using productivity enhancers.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

TheCindy,

What are you doing here tonight? Trolling for Wallabees? 'Skins have a game tonight that I forgot about? Checking us out for Homeland Security?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 12, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

does anyone get those ibm commercials?

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

NFL playoffs, Talent. And there was a little Redskins copy to edit. I'll be here tomorrow, too. Probably BMGO.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I think they're trying to tell us to give money to IBM.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

As a marketing guy who used to work at a company where all the execs sit around and "idea-ate"...yeah, I totally get them.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

'Skins could have had the entire New England receiving corps. Instead they got Reche Caldwell, Brandon Lloyd, and David Patten. Sloppy seconds, all.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 12, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, so much for that...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Again, gosh, I hate the Patriots.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Gene Wang points out that Jack Del Rio is Hispanic like Donna Chang was Chinese on "Seinfeld."....

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Hispanic? Carlos del Rogers?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 12, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

thanks zilla but for what? what is ibm trying to say? are they trying to be a shoe company (nike)? what are they selling?

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

LMGO cindy!

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Credit Gene Wang with that goal! I get an assist for typing.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

A few things:

* I'm so flippin'sick of the Patriots...!

* Jason Campbell was at the Wizards game tonight and was interviewed afterwards. Jason hopes the Williams get the job and he also wants Saunders to stay....said they have finally learned his offense and the offense would love continuity
* John Keim with The Examiner wrote in the weekend edition that Snyder met with Williams on Wednesday night for about an hour and that Williams has told people that he wanted his formal interview to be toward the end of the interview process
* Rick Snider - also with the Examiner - wrote that Alan Faneca wants to play for the Skins

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

There is a -- relatively unimportant -- organization that has just released its strategic planning document... with a section devoted to its radical new 'id8' concept.
I'm reading this [and you can imagine my state of mind just opening this shabingus of a document], and just have to shake my head.
Inconceivable!

Posted by: daggar | January 12, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

and cindy, you can sooooooooooooooooooo do sooooooooooooo better than the verizon dude.

no, diddy!!!!!!!!!!!! the dumbest ever movie is Rambo.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

i'm so sorry for your loss daggar, loss of sanity.

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Okily dokily, hamsters. I'm outta here for the evening. Gonna watch a movie with Mrs. Freakzilla. Somehow I won the lottery and she wants to watch Die Hard 4. :)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 12, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

freak, that's an okay movie.

has anyone seen (my) kate in Vacancy? how is it?

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I am no where close to a nerd. Can we please get a new post?

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

A more appropriate title would have been 'Strategic Wishful Thinking', but you can't slip that past some editors.

But for most other things, the terms 'document' and 'wishful thinking' are equivalent.

Posted by: daggar | January 12, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

It's 11:00 on a Saturday and you want a new post to feed your blog addiction more quickly.

Nope, not a nerd at all.

Posted by: daggar | January 12, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

nerdz rule
gym ratz drool

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL@daggar!!!!! HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

jm, he got you so good!

anyways...i'm not a loser like ya'll so i'm off to pokerstars.net with my pink eye et all! see ya!

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

btw cL, i never make right picks so i was saying had i posted my picks up here someone would've made some money since ya'll(exagerating by a bit) know that i'm always wrong...

Posted by: dealer | January 12, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Shecky Belichick cracked a joke:
"i was a little disappointed in those two (passes) tom missed."

Posted by: TheCindy | January 12, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

daggar clubs in NY really don't jump off until midnight. And I only wanted a new post because I am being lazy and don't want to go throw all the post.

Posted by: jm220 | January 12, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm out as well...

The nerds have inherited the Earth. I don't see the term as pejorative at all. Then again, I have a sense of humor and take precious little, particularly myself, seriously, so I have no qualms about being called one.

(note: local Seattle "news" just used the term "CSI", as in "CSIs removed the body from the home for examination".)

Posted by: PDiddy | January 12, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

"Al Saunders's days of leading the Redskins' offense could be numbered" -Beat Reporter, Saturday

I will put my money where my mouth is on this one: Al Saunders will be with the Redskins next year.

Any takers?

Posted by: barno | January 12, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy, here we go again. From this morning's article:

"Several general managers contacted said they believed the job of Al Saunders, the Redskins' associate head coach whose offense has under-performed in two years in Washington, could be in jeopardy... Snyder soured on the lack of offensive progress since Gibbs handed off play-calling duties to Saunders, according to several league sources who spoke with members of Washington's management through the season..."

Gossip or news? You decide! Doesn't sound like this info came from anybody at the Redskins, that's for sure. It's more like, "this guy I know knows this guy who knows this guy who heard that..."

I'm skeptical.

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 12, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you left yourself wide open (pun inteneded) for this:

You are sticking your money up your bung hole???

I'm only making fun to win the favor of the immature RIers. When the RI All-Star ballot comes out, I want to make sure I have that demography on my side.

I'm not even going to touch the "any takers?" comment. that's more sams3's style.

Posted by: Dorf | January 13, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Props to Mr. Wise for correctly identifying them as "Miserable Suburban Guy radio the other day -- bless their drive-time hearts"

truer words have never been spoken.

Posted by: daggar | January 13, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Time out. I want to cast the shadow of doubt on that 11:58pm post. I personally believe that "barno" is not the same as "Barno1."

For whatever that's worth.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 13, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Actually, our offense IMPROVED once Saunders was finally able to truly call the plays. That is BS.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 13, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Busterkurosawa: Its gossip, which passes for news. No one knows until the announcements are made.

The whole "Saunders' days are numbered" line has been developed by the Beat Reporter all season. Who knows if its true?

I think the biggest determiner of whether Saunders stays is his compatibility with the next head coach. The next HC will make the decision, not Synder, or the Beat Reporter.

Posted by: hithere1 | January 13, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

"Snyder soured on the lack of offensive progress since Gibbs handed off play-calling duties to Saunders, according to several league sources who spoke with members of Washington's management through the season, and many braced for a change even had Gibbs stayed."

This statement is not accurate. He did not include that Gibbs 2.4 continued to help create the game plan and that had say on what 'kind of' plays to run inside the 40. Evidence #1 - Running Jumbo packages consistently inside the 10 yard line.

I would only judge Saunders from the last 4 games that Todd started. By those games, he earned his salary......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Okay, we didn't watch Die Hard 4.

She said it was my choice (we take turns picking movies), and I called an audible and we watched "They Live," as she had never seen it.

Roddy Piper, fugly aliens, bad early 90s fashion, and the greatest fight scene ever. What's not to like?

Posted by: freakzilla | January 13, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Green Bay and their "12th Man" - The Weatherman!

Top 10 Reasons the Seahawks Can't Win the Big Games

1) The refs cheated us!
2) Snow!
3) Brett Favre!
4) Ryan Grant!
5) Al Harris!
6) Charles Woodson!
7) KGB!
8) Shaun Alexander!
9) Matt Hasselbeck!
10) Road games!

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | January 13, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | January 13, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

we watched "They Live," as she had never seen it.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 13, 2008 02:21 AM

One of my guilty pleasures. You all owe it to yourself to see it if nothing else than for the alley fight! And Rowdy Roddy's "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick a$$, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Posted by: johncnichols | January 13, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 12, 2008 10:59 PM

No surprise there. Faneca has been trying to get a new fat deal with the Steelers for a while now. Of course the Skins should be in the mix because of the contracts they hand out. I'd rather see FA money spent on a CB or DE. Plus I think we may need a new RT moreso than a guard anyway. Thomas should be back and Kendall can handle 1 more year at least.

On a side note, Indy has to win today to have any chance of stopping NE from running the table. If the play SD and then the SuperBowl they will be 19-0. Makes me sick. Go Gmen. Made me sick to say that too.

Posted by: cdubb | January 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Haven't read all 324 posts. Oye... but with Dan's money and his willingness to ordain coaches with big titles why not hire Schwartz as Assistant Head Coach - Defense and Russ Grimm as Assistant Head Coach - Offense once Williams is hired as head coach. You have the head guys protege whose defensive philosophy matches his, and you return another of the Skins beloved past players who has head coaching credentials, but lacks immediate support. Grimm's son plays at VA Tech so the homecoming would benefit him, and Schwartz is a Baltimore native so he too would be returning to his home DMA. If Williams doesn't work out, you have two guys on-staff to fight for the head coaching position.

Posted by: motiongrfx | January 13, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If Snyder really opens his wallet, the argument goes, Bill Cowher will listen. Jim Fassel's name also came up on Miserable Suburban Guy radio the other day -- bless their drive-time hearts -- as another possible "name" candidate. Choosing Cowher, everybody's hot coach, is unimaginative; it's like saying Eva Mendes is attractive. Fassel is almost a fossil. Pete Carroll is Spurrier 2.0.

LMAO! Wise has brought it all year.

Posted by: jm220 | January 13, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I say it should be Williams, but watch how many fans and our fellow bloggers act if Williams goes 0-1...they'll call for him to be fired....build him up...tear him down.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 13, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Okay, since it's clear Dan isn't going to hire a GM, what are the chances of a brain transplant?

Could we put, say, Ron Wolf's brain in Danny's body? He's localish . . .

Posted by: farstriker | January 13, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

from Wise's article today ...

"This thought goes beyond Ashburn, but the feeling here is Washingtonians are just starting to get over their complex about being an inferior sports town."

Am I missing something. I am not aware of this complex. A frustration over the (professional) teams not doing well, yes; a complex over being an inferior sports town, never.

BTW Wise, how did that guarantee of Hawaii's dominance over the Dawgs in the Sugar Bowl work out for you? Yeah, I thought so.

Posted by: CBT | January 13, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The fact the O played as well as they did, especially those last 4 games, is miraculous considering the beat-up nature of the line. Of course they should bring Saunders back. GW should just let Al run the offense.

The depth on the line was much better than in previous years - especially than in 2005 when they had to put Raymer in at RG. But to win in the playoffs you need a really solid line.

I say bring in two new linemen to compete for starting roles, one veteran and one rookie. Sign Faneca if it doesn't break the bank, though you might prefer someone younger. And I wouldn't be averse to using the #1 on an OLman.

I figure Heyer makes strides this offseason like Montgomery made last year, but he still may start the season as a back-up tackle, or they may try him at OG.

Jansen is probably done. And it's a question how much Thomas and Wade should be relied on coming back from injuries, and being as prone to injuries, as they are.

I wouldn't mind starting next year with Kendall as a backup.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 13, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

For whatever that's worth.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 13, 2008 01:02 AM

Sorry to disappoint, but it's the same person. I had to re-register in order to post a comment on another part of the site (about the top 10 moments in Gibbs' career).

Posted by: barno | January 13, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

B) "exacerbator" isn't a word

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2008 06:16 PM

Its derived from the word "exacturbation".

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Do the Chargers have a chance in this game?

Posted by: TheCindy | January 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm a female, but I LOVE those "Dude" beer commercials!

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 13, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Same goes for me, Nojunk.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 13, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

NO chance for the Chargers. BBM will not be tossing 6 picks today.

Posted by: JustMe | January 13, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Wise called DC an inferior sports town???

Maybe compared to Boston, but then every city is inferior compared to Boston...

Want to see an inferior sports town? Try Seattle. Loved freakzilla's list of excuses for the Seahawks. I live (literally) across the street from Key Arena, and I can assure you that the only thing the Sonics are good for is mucking up traffic and parking in the neighborhood. Good riddance to them. And what is up with the Mariners? Do people even watch baseball anymore? We don't have an NHL team because I think the NHL folded or something. Heard a rumor to that effect.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 13, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Me three, No junk and Cindy.

wow - cannot that Marvin Harrison finally gets the ball and fumbles.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 13, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

That would be that I cannot BELIEVE that he fumbled.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 13, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Norv looks constipated this afternoon.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 13, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

barno, i'll bet you five guys that al saunders won't be here next year.

as far as wise is concerned. that's what all newcomers think. i wouldn't put too much into what he has to say about this area until he's lived here for say atleast 10 years. but i like his stuff. as far as the suburban guy radio thing is concerned...i think we're better off here than boston, new york, southern california, bay area, ca.

Posted by: dealer | January 13, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

philip rivers looks good under all that pressure. it seems like he can "feel" the pressure around him...

Posted by: dealer | January 13, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

That wacky Norv. He's used all his timeouts!

Posted by: TheCindy | January 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dealer | January 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Jasno is blogging his guts out. Just hope is stretching before and drinking lots of Gatorade.

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 13, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse