Grimm must clear Hall of Fame hurdles

A selection committee of 44 media members will decide Saturday whether one of the Hogs will finally get his Pro Football Hall of Fame ticket punched. But it's just one man who has to stand before the group and present Russ Grimm's case for enshrinement.

David Elfin is the long-time Redskins reporter for the Washington Times, and he's the D.C. representative on the Pro Football Writers Hall of Fame selection committee. That means he'll not only be in the room voting tomorrow on the Class of 2010, but he's also charged with the task of selling the other voters on Grimm's credentials. [Washington Post writers do not participate in voting.]

"It's a weird role because you're a defense attorney - you're making the client's case - but you're also the jury," said Elfin, who has been on the committee for six years. Committee members are charged with presenting the case of the finalist whose career is most associated with his or her market. For Elfin, Darrell Green was a cinch, he said. He had to present Art Monk twice. This is his fourth time presenting Grimm, and he's feeling pretty good about his argument.

"I've worked a lot harder this year," Elfin said. "I've already apologized to Russ for the past. I think I was really so focused on Monk. I had three presentations and maybe gave Russ short shrift. I did better last year and [Grimm] made it to the round of 10. He's the
only offensive lineman up this year who made it that round last year."

Seventeen finalists are up for consideration - two senior candidates and 15 from the modern era -- and they go through a selection process
that's unlike any other sport's.

Each presentation typically lasts 5-10 minutes per player, and Elfin notes that linemen are difficult to sell because of the lack of statistical evidence. To support his case this year, he's gathered letters from Bill Parcells, Randy White, Harry Carson and Matt Millen
to share with the committee.

After presenting, the floor is open for questions and debate. Elfin usually keeps some of his argument in his back pocket for this portion of the process, which can be lengthy. Elfin recalls a 45-minute debate on the merits of Monk's case. Presenters also have the option of a closing argument.

After all the candidates are discussed, the room votes, narrowing the group to 10 finalists and then five. The room then votes "yes" or "no" on each of the final five, and at least 80 percent of the group must agree for a candidate to make it to Canton.

While scuttlebutt indicates Grimm's chances this year are better than ever, most educated guesses peg his chances at about 50 percent. The difficult thing with this year's vote is that Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice are locks, so the remaining 13 modern-era candidates are really vying for three spots. While tight end Shannon Sharpe is
a favorite for the third slot, some think another receiver seems doubtful and Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed ultimately could split the vote and help a candidate like Grimm.

The only other offensive linemen among the finalists is Pittsburgh's Dermontti Dawson.

"You could go through the list of guys just in the final list of 15 and your heart is going to go out to five or six of them who have every right to be in the Hall of Fame," said Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen. "With Russ, I don't want to jinx anything, but
I've heard some good things, a lot of momentum, so hopefully this will be his year."

If you check out Mark Maske's story on Grimm, there are plenty of folks eager to sing Grimm's praises.

"I'm getting very, very excited about it," former Redskins offensive line coach Joe Bugel. "It's been a little upsetting to me. That group in the '80s and '90s did such an outstanding job, and there hasn't been one of them that's gotten into the Hall of Fame. Russ Grimm, he was the leader of that group. To me, he's very deserving."

By Rick Maese  |  February 5, 2010; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher finds positives in his upbringing
Next: Hall voting and a Zone topic

Comments

moe, may your lawn get invaded by grubs, may your 'blue pills' run out at an inopportune time, and may Mrs. Moe, start saying NO, much more often.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It's my understanding that members of the RI Nation are suffering the consequences of living in the Mid Atlantic Region in early Feb.

The groundhog's shadow was followed by snow.

And whereas you think we South Floridians intend to gloat, let me tell you we are suffering, too.

Presently I can't get rid of the few sweaters I own.

I got oranges to pick from the tree in my backyard, and I'll do it barefoot.

More than likely, I'll mow my lawn before the Super Bowl.

I'll be out all day tomorrow hustling Girl Scout cookies in glorious sunshine.

And finally, tonite, mrsmoe and I will hit a tropical club featuring Latin music, drinks, food, and scantily clad women wandering about in the heat.

Yes, I know you feel my pain.

And gladly, I'm not willing to shovel yours.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say the HOF doesn't matter to me as much now that Monk and Darrell are in. As far as individual Redskins who I've seen play, those are the only two guys who I felt must be in the Hall.

I love Grimmie, but it's certainly not going to break my heart if he doesn't get into the Hall. Hell, It's not going to break my heart if the Hogs aren't represented in the Hall by one or more players.

In fact, I would argue that the absence of any Hogs from the Hall reinforces the important truth that their success came as a group working together.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hopin' Grimm makes it in.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Grimm's Resume

4× Pro Bowl selection (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986)
3× Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1983, 1984, 1985)
4× Newspaper Enterprise Association First-team All-Pro selection (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986)
1× Associated Press Second-team All-Pro selection (1986)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
70 Greatest Redskins

I say yes to the HOF, but only because I'm partial. He's on the proverbial bubble, still not a bad career for a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

As for a rookie salary schedule, I am all for it, but the bulk of the players still active in the NFL are probably playing off their fat rookie contracts, and might have a really biased view of that topic. This, I think, is a bigger sticking point than the extra games.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think this would be one of the easier concessions for the PA to make.

The guys who are playing off their rookie contracts now would not be affected by the change. Plus, they are going to want to hit free agency and get their piece of the pie. They're not going to want to see new rookies come in and eat up a bunch of salary cap space that could otherwise go to their new contract. Add to that the vast majority of vets who don't want to see guys that have not played an NFL snap in their life automatically start making triple their own salaries.

Quite frankly, I think the only people that would really care about this are (1) rookies-to-be who don't have a seat at the negotiating table and (2) agents that make a killing off of fat rookie contracts who also don't have a seat at the negotiating table.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.

Hope you have a nice hurricane season.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Just hearing their names makes me feel proud to be a Skins fan.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Grimm's Resume

4× Pro Bowl selection (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986)
3× Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1983, 1984, 1985)
1× Associated Press Second-team All-Pro selection (1986)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
70 Greatest Redskins

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You can add to that resume that he started in 4 Superbowls and won 3.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is Grimm's year. He deserves it. Good times watching those hogs bulldoze the opposition. Miss it.

Posted by: edvar | February 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Hogs" has entered the football lexicon.

Seems like a story that the HOF ought to tell, no?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I think its going to be very tough for Grimm to get in the Hall this year. Rice and smith are locks, so its 3 slots. HOF voters have been heavily criticized for putting in too many offensive players, so I suspect HOF voters want to put at least 2 defensive players in. Which leaves 1 slot.

Tim Brown deserves to go in on the 1st ballot. When he retired, he was top 3 in receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs (Rice was #1 in all of them). What puts Brown over the top is special teams. He's 5th all-time in punt return yards and led the league in kickoff returns one year.

Sharpe and Carter are both very strong candidates.

Just 5 guys are on defense, so I think those votes are more focused. John Randle was 1st team All Pro 6 times. Rickey Jackson had a very good career and might get a little extra from the Saints being in the Super Bowl. Richard Dent has been really close before, like Grimm -- deep into the vote most every year. Cortez Kennedy went to 8 Pro Bowls. Don't think Haley will get far, but there is that dallas bias.

One other name that'll be of interest, coach Don Coryell. I doubt he gets in, but he had a huge impact on the passing game. His influence was very significant, among his protoges is Joe Gibbs.

Bottom line, this is a very tough year for Grimm to get into the Hall.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line, this is a very tough year for Grimm to get into the Hall.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 1:25 PM |

Every year is tough...

Posted by: edvar | February 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

zeke, I'd love to see Tim Brown get in, especially if that leaves Cris Carter on the sidelines at least one more year. Not sure why I have such a grudge against Carter, who was a terrific player, but I do.

It would also be kind of cool to see Jerry Rice have to share the day with another WR... sure, Rice is the greatest of all time at that position, and nobody would argue that, but the WR position has exploded statistically in this modern era, so things have been inflated/distorted... not to diminish either of their accomplishments, but I think it would be cool to have another WR up there with Rice to provide some context. If that makes sense. Such as.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Bottom line, this is a very tough year for Grimm to get into the Hall."

Agreed.

And can Dick Lebeau get some luv?

His 'zone-blitz' schemes are so pervasive that pee wee football squads run them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Why it is so hard for OL peeps to make it in the HOF. The great ones work as a unit. You hardley ever hear that a defense has to game plan for a single OL peep. You always hear that a defense has to game plan for a rcvr, TE, RB, QB, DE, LB, SS. The HOGS were a great group. There should be a category for great line groups that played together and took on great individual DL peeps and won their battles.
HOGS, FEARSOME FOURSOME, PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS, IRON CURTAIN, are some that come to mind and I am sure that I left off quite a few.

discuss please

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Rice is the greatest of all time at that position, and nobody would argue that,

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would argue that.

Rice is the greatest all time in football.

Period.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

And can Dick Lebeau get some luv?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:30 PM

But as has been pointed out, he is being considered as a player and not a coach. I agree that he should be in, but they are not supposed to use his coaching credentials, only his playing days.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Rice

If anybody deserves to get in the Hall, it's Rice.

Without Rice, Montana-Young don't get in.

I would be interesting to get a look at the draft board from the year Rice was drafted.

A final question is, who is the best all around athlete to play in the modern pro football era?

Jerry Rice

Walter Peyton

Deion Sanders

Darrel Green

Roy Green

Rod Woodson

Mike Haynes

Moe goes with Rice.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Moe, you can see my vote from my post @ 1:34.

I say Rice is the greatest football player ever.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Why it is so hard for OL peeps to make it in the HOF."

Maybe they should vote by position so, for example, defensive tackles--another underrepresented group--can get some HOF luv.

And if they don't meet the standard, they don't get in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:35 PM

I vote Walter Peyton only because he was with some crappy bears teams and he still lit it up.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

And can Dick Lebeau get some luv?

Posted by: MistaMoe

As oldtimers, LeBeau and Floyd Little get considered separately. Both are considered for contributions as a player only -- which in LeBeau's case, makes no sense since he has been an innovative and successful coordinator in addition to being a good player.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Rice. Greatest Ever.

You could make an argument for Jim Brown, but since he walked away from the game early, I give the title to Rice, who went the distance.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Primetime, Deion Sanders

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 5, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Primetime, Deion Sanders

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 5, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

1) Bo Jackson
2) Bo Jackson
3) Bo Jackson
4) Deion Sanders

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think this would be one of the easier concessions for the PA to make.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:04 PM
------------------------------------------
I think if it was easy as all that, it would have happened the last time they were at the negotiating table. The NFLPA is for higher wages - rookie or veteran because it means more money for the union, and make no mistake, the NFLPA is a business. Google NFLPA REVENUE and find out how much they made last year. Not too shabby in a down economy.

No, I stick by my original comment that this will be a sticking point. Extra games will mean extra money, so the NFLPA will eventually agree to that. Capping a rookie's salary is something that will lower the amount of money the NFLPA gets, and they will not agree to that readily.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Rice was the 3rd WR picked in 1985. I do know that the team that expected to pick Rice was ... dallas. Bill Walsh traded up into the slot one ahead of the pukes and grabbed Rice.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Grimm get in, but just my humble opinion, Jacoby was better for longer and deserves it a couple hairs more than Grimm. Grimm just gets all of the push because he’s still active in the NFL is is somewhat relevant in coach talks……

I would also love to see Jerry Rice or Emmit not get in this year just to highlight what a flawed process they have for the HOF election, and what a couple of jerks with a bias can do to the voting…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say it was "easy", I said it was "easier".

It is a concession that would actually serve to benefit the majority of the players that they represent.

In fact the Union and League have already traded some proposals on the matter and it looks to be one of the few issues that they are finding common ground on.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"...Jerry Rice. Greatest Ever..."

If the standard is the possiblity that a guy could play muliple positions (offense/defense, too), which player's from today's game gets luv?

Champ Bailey (wr?)

Ed Reed (slot receiver-return guy)

Percy Harvin (safety)

Josh Cribbs (d-back)

Darelle Revis (wr)

Asomugha, Nnamdi (wr)

Moe goes with Harvin.

The guy will get reps at running back, slot, wr, kick returner, and could play q-back if called upon.

Is his career outlook better that what Champ's has been?

We'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Moe, I'm feeling your pain as another SoFLa resident. If it isn't power washing the driveway it's picking up the damn coconuts off the lawn. And to top it off, I'm out of simple syrup to sweeten my mojitos. It just never ends.

Oh, and to p1funk--I'll take any natural disaster where I can clean up afterwards in shorts and t-shirt. Try that while you're moving 2 feet of snow off your sidewalk.

Fingers crossed for Grimm. He deserves it, and you know he'll take a bow for the rest of the Hogs, as well.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Since the post was about Grimm, does anyone think Grimm's son Cody will make it into the NFL? The kid is a 210 pound linebacker that tore it up, mostly on special teams, playing for Virginia Tech. I could see him as a undrafted free agent special teams ace. Anyone care to comment?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

One of the things that the labor negotiations will influence is the amount of guaranteed money teams will part with.

As an owner, you'd hate to give a guy $30 million up front, then not have him play because of a lockout.

Everyone benefits knowing the rules of the road. In the wild west, you'll find teams acting out of self interest -- which isn't the smart thing to do.

The smart thing to do is make sure you increase the size of the pie, not your share of it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"...Jerry Rice. Greatest Ever..."

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor.

Long Live the Grim Reaper!

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Right.

At least they get to wear shorts and T-shirts while they rebuild New Orleans...

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Florida has Floridians. I'd rather have snow.

Posted by: mack1 | February 5, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think DG28 is the best athlete ever in the NFL. He was still winning the fastest man award in his thirties, and played corner(well at that) when he was 40.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Barry Sanders

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I think a case could be made for Julius Peppers as well.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge VT fan, really liked Cody(probably because of his dad). But the kid can play, seems to have great instincts.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

That 1985 Draft was a stunner. Check out some of the big names outside of J Rice:

Andre Reed

Kevin Greene

Herschel Walker

Jack Del Rio

Randell Cunningham

Jim Lachey

Lomas Brown

and of course, Jerry Gray.

Hearda him, haven't you?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

Not gonna happen. The voters don't mind controversy, but they don't want to be thought of as total idiots.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

IMO, if you are talking “best ath-a-lete”, then I agree with the Bo Jackson contingent. He is the one guy who probably could have played ANY sport and excelled at it. And if he had been a full time footballer and didn’t wreck his hip, might have broken Payton’s record (who knows if he would have had more than Emmit Smif). I have some old games with Bo playing in them on disc, and he would, as Al Davis used to say about Namath “tip the field”…..the guy was awesome. He was one of the most big/powerful backs in the game, as well as one of the fastest. He played like what we all thought Hershel Walker was GOING to be like when he hit the NFL……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Since the post was about Grimm, does anyone think Grimm's son Cody will make it into the NFL?"

210 pound linebackers don't happen in the NFL, sorry.

And 210 pound safeties have to have cover skills and 4.5 speed.

He'll get some chances to coach, and a guy like him will move up and do well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I think Cody Grimm goes somewhere. Just running a sub 4.5 40 means nothing.

5'9 linebackers shouldn't make it in the NFL(see Fletcher, London)

165 lb players shouldn't be in the NFL(see Jackson, Deshaun).

I also heard Mark Schlereth say that Terrell Davis ran like a 4.7 40, he probably couldn't make it in the NFL either.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

And 210 pound safeties have to have cover skills and 4.5 speed.

He'll get some chances to coach, and a guy like him will move up and do well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM
------------------------------------------
I agree that he is way too light to play linebacker in the NFL, but take the position assignment away and just evaluate the player. Could he fit in on special teams somewhere in the NFL?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vick should be in the best athlete debate.

Yeah I know he's not the greatest QB, and one can debate longevity, etc, but no one questions his pre-jail speed and agility.

Do agree that Barry Sanders should be in there as well. PS, what deal did Oklahoma State make with the Devil to land Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders as their featured backs for 3 consecutive years?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 5, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

"At least they get to wear shorts and T-shirts while they rebuild New Orleans..."

I hate to be mean, but, from the point of view of a South Floridan that's lived through about 6 hurricanes, the people of New Orleans kinda brought some of their troubles on themselves.

I mean, anyone with sense watched Katrina speed past Florida, head through the Gulf of Mexico, build up strenght, and then hit where people said it was going to.

This happened over a series of days, mind you.

The storm didn't sneak up on anyone.

And no one had the good sense to leave New Orleans when advised to do so, but then complained about the government because they chose not to go when they could've.

Please.

Sometimes the first thing to do with a finger is point it at yourself before aiming it at others.

I feel bad about what happened after the storm hit when folks suffered, but I bet the next time, people will get the f!ck outta town if a storm comes.

I would.

And I wouldn't blame anybody if I didn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Right on Moe. And tell them to take their pets with them!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I would.

And I wouldn't blame anybody if I didn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd have gotten out of town, but leaving on a school bus doesn't save your home from getting buried in 7 feet of water and sludge.

My point: I'd rather get some driveway-shoveling exercise a couple times a year, then have to wonder if my life is gonna get wiped out by a hurricane a couple times a year.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: Best Athlete Debate

What is the debate?

Bo Jackson is the only player in the modern history of pro sports to be a 2-sport All-Pro; and one of those sports was football.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Best athlete?

Wilt. Basketball, volleyball, high jump, shot put and about 20,000 other reasons

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Any snow down there yet?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ray Brown just signed with the 49'ers to be an assistant offensive line coach. I wish he would have come back to Washington. He's good people.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Any snow down there yet?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

falling steadily...

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I still think Julius Peppers is one of the top 5 ever best "athletes" to play in the NFL. To be that big and that fast is just crazy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Bo Jackson
Deion Sanders
David Fulcher
QB Eagles.

Best football players I ever WATCHED are Barry and Peyton.

Rice was consistently great, but I didn't really see him at the height of his powers.

As a lifelong Skins fan, I tuned in every week to see what Barry was gonna do. Nobody else in football made me do that, until Peyton the last couple years.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

adam achuletta

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

" uh-h-h, I mean, JASON CAMPBELL for a minimum third, ANTWAAN RANDLE-EL, fa'gid'aboud'it, maybe a seventh, but who would want that contract? CHRIS COOLEY for a minimum first, CLINTON PORTIS for a minimum third, and again contract issues. ALBERT HAYNESWORTH for a minimum first and sixth. Let's trade 'um and rake in the prospects.Posted by: glawrence007"

Who's your trade partner? The Hamilton Tiger Cats? The Rhein Fire?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 5, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Glad you appreciate my inside humor. Yee-Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 5, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

Living in the Bay Area, I saw plenty of Rice. Think of him as football's Michael Jordan. He really was that much better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse
____________________

As someone who's lived all around the country - from mudslide and earthquake land in the west, flood land in the midwest, tornado alley, the hurricane coast, and of course my beloved Washington DC (for the longest period of time; wish I could move back home), I can attest based on first hand experience that you are way better off dealing with the snow than the other forms of climate-brought disaster. I've been through big earthquakes and tornado warnings, and I had the eye of a hurricane pass directly over my house 2 years ago and four others give glancing blows. Snow and ice is much, much better.

Alot of snow today, though, huh? The biggest snow I remember in DC was the winter of either '95-'96 or '96-'97. I seem to remember 2 or 3 feet at once, also, that year.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

All-Pro in Baseball doesn't correlate to athleticism. No one here is going to compare Barry Bonds or Randy Johnson to Emmitt Smif (his words) or Jerry Rice.

Also, this implies that since MJ sucked at baseball he wasn't a tremendous athlete. The term 'Air Jordan' begs to differ.

No doubt Bo was a great athlete, but relying on the 'two sport' argument doesn't prove anything.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Grimm's Resume

4× Pro Bowl selection (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986)
3× Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1983, 1984, 1985)
1× Associated Press Second-team All-Pro selection (1986)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
70 Greatest Redskins

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You can add to that resume that he started in 4 Superbowls and won 3.
Posted by: p1funk
____
And add to that he coached teams in two other Super Bowls, Pittsburgh and Arizona, and won one.

Posted by: sovine08 | February 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 2:58 PM
-----------------------------------------
Now, see, if you mention Peppers you have to mention Reggie White. He was quick like a cat but the thing that made him stand out was how he strong he was. I remember one time he was playing with this big cast on one arm and the announcer at the time - I believe it was Madden - was saying he didn't know how effective White was going to be with essentially just one hand. The very next play, White just tosses this three hundred pound lineman out of the way with his good hand and gets a hit on the quarterback. Madden says something like, "I guess he's going to be more effective than I thought." It was unbelievable.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm still bitter that Micheal freaking Irvin got in before Art Monk. I mean seriously, how the fu#k does that happen?

I loved seeing him getting booed when Monk and Green got in.....classic

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Reggie White was a much better football player, but for all around athleticism he's not in the same league as eppers.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What about Lawrence Taylor as one of the best athletes?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I was there in Fairfax shoveling like crazy during my Fraternity's Hell Week at GMU that winter. Oh the memories... That was a whole lot of snow... and we got quite a bit overall that season.

Posted by: EinVB | February 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The 95 ice storm. I was in 7th grade and we had like 2 weeks off from school, the best snow storm I've seen besides being stuck in 80 inches at Mt Baker outside of Seattle.

Cris Carter is getting Monk'd and I bet Peter King's portly self is behind it. I hated him when he played but he definately should be inducted. Cris Carter teams were how good? His QB's were who? Give him a Young or Montana and he's a first ballot too.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | February 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------
Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 5, 2010 3:14 PM

Matt, the 2 sport all star isn’t the only basis for saying Jackson was the best all around athlete. He was AMAZINGLY fast for his size, which was big. He probably could have played any sport he wanted and excelled at almost any position he chose. I think of it this way…..who would win a decathlon in the Olympics, iof all were allcompeting in their prime……I still go with Bo Jackson. But that’s just me.

Still no snow up here in Wilmington yet.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Got me a case of Coronas...

Got me a fifth of Grey Goose...

Got a couple bottles of wine...

Got a freezer full of food...

Got my FIOS...

Got two shovels....

Got 40 pounds of rock salt....

I'm STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Until your power goes out, and your food goes bad, and your beer gets warm, and your FIOS IS WORTHLESS!!

Posted by: REXskins | February 5, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | February 5, 2010 4:22 PM
Aside from the tv and internet, he could just throw everything outside to keep it cool/frozen………..unagi.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

ummm, Cris Carter had Warren Moon as his QB. HOF QB. Carter's big numbers came in part because the Vikes threw so much. Carter's 2 biggest years came when Moon led the league in pass attempts.

The biggest negative on Carter's resume is his postseason work. The other main issue I'd guess were his problems early on in philly.

Can't argue that Carter deserves in. But he's got a few noteworthy flaws.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

So the lesson of the day up here is that it's just as hard to identify a "best athlete" as it is to determine -- in most cases -- who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Good work, people.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Can't argue that Carter deserves in. But he's got a few noteworthy flaws.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 4:40 PM |

One of the other things against Carter is that he is a giant d-bag and should just shut the f up. I hope he never gets in after his Art Monk remarks. He's an a$$ plain and simple. If character were a consideration he'd be placed in a burlapo sack and beaten with reeds.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

being a d-bag doesn't hurt -- michael irvin proved that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

being a d-bag doesn't hurt -- michael irvin proved that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM |

I know, but it should. Pete Rose can't get in because of illegal crap (character issue). I know this doesn't really compare but to me he should have his voice box removed so we can all be spared the relentless garbage he spews from his corksucker.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I got a question... Can the skins theoretically drop Portis and then re-sign him at a lower price? Or maybe the skins can "renegotiate" Portis' contract and basically ask him to take a pay cut. Using the uncapped year as negotiating tool, Bruce Allen can explain to Portis that if he isn't willing to renegotiate, the team will be forced to dropped him. Bruce Allen could definitely come up with a new, cheaper contract that no other team would be willing to offer Portis. This way the skins keep Portis and still save the team a major salary cap burden...

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | February 5, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

being a d-bag doesn't hurt -- michael irvin proved that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975

had an interesting experience with sports gambling. On a biz trip, I took in a baseball game in Kaohsiung Taiwan. The place seated maybe 15k, it was 1/2 full. I asked why. They told me it was because a few years back, there was a gambling scandal involving certain players and the attendance plummeted as a result. Gambling really is a killer

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it took Monk so long, that travesty of justice is delaying grimms day

The hogs! Those were the days

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 5, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"Dungy says Super Bowl won't be close"

"Minnesota is playing in New Orleans, they turn the ball over five times, have two or three stupid penalties and still lose in overtime," Dungy told The Times. "I don't see how it's going to be close. The Colts aren't going to turn it over seven times."

Dungy also weighed in on whether Manning was a better clutch quarterback than the Patriots' Tom Brady.

"Your coach wouldn't punt the ball to Peyton," Dungy said in referring to Patriots coach Bill Belichick's decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 deep in his own territory rather than give the ball back to Manning late in the Colts' 35-34 victory in Week 10.

"I would punt the ball to Tom Brady with one minute left," Dungy said. "Your coach is the best coach in the world and wouldn't punt it to [Manning]. What does that say?"

`

i wonder how long it will take b4 our rapidly-growing secular society/culture turns on Tony Dungy. Entertainment figures preach to our youth about "stand up 4 what u believe in" *caveat* so long as your beliefs coincide with one side of a particular spectrum!

Isn't it possible for a non-christian to be "pro-life" ? If so then it would be reasonable to assume that perhaps a "pro-lifer" could stand up for what they believe in without it being perceived as pushing his/her religious beliefs on anybody!

All things being equal, i hope Dungy eats his words!

Posted by: Vicc | February 5, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Boy this storm was intense. It poured for like 2 hours and the winds knocked over a food tent at the State Fairground.

No corn dogs were harmed though.

Tomorrow is going to be nice and but cool liked 61 degrees.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

No corn dogs were harmed though.

Tomorrow is going to be nice and but cool liked 61 degrees.

Posted by: noonefromtampa

Tell me about it. I had to add an extra layer when I went for a walk because it was like 55 degrees, which is a bit chilly in the shade.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

the storm must be blocking blogging too

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 5, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Suprised noone mentioned the Portis interview, the one Lavar is heated over (yes I had to sell it) here is the link...

funny how Deion is slightly trying to clown Portis...

Posted by: ATLredskin | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

funny how Deion is slightly trying to clown Portis...

Posted by: ATLredskin | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM

Well, Clinton sure isn't afraid of stepping on any toes. He certainly tells it like he thinks it is.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

mistamoe: "I hate to be mean,"

Doesn't sound like it.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

funny how Deion is slightly trying to clown Portis...

Posted by: ATLredskin | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM |

I could see how LaVar would be upset. I could also see what Portis said about him being true. It think that's what the culture Snyder fostered in DC when he paid outside talent and ignored the talent he had in-house. I think we see that attitude being carried forward by long tenured players like Cartwright. Portis seems excited that Shanahan is back, and knows the ramifications if he's not committed this offseason. We shall see how that plays out over the next few months.

Posted by: TWISI | February 6, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Line those trades up. We need picks.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 6, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

=======================================
Are there any HOF player representatives voting as well?
I think the fact the media decides the HOF inductees is BS. They never played the game and many carry grudges forever (I know a few). Primary reason Monk had difficulty.. Turn down an interview or give a bad one.. the scribe starts the negative word-of-mouth.

The best system would be current HOF members making the majority decision for new inductees... The media can have representatives involved, presenting HOF player credentials..ie "cases". But, the overall decision should lie with the ones who played the game and own the HOF.. The Players.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 6, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

just say "no" to this scenario.. Below is from blogspot.com
A Cutler and Shanahan partnership failed in Denver...
I'd rather stockpile draft picks for the 1st round quality underclassmen going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Snyder might get a 3rd round pick for Campbell, this year.. that he couldnt pull off last year..
=========================================
This morning I got an anonymous comment on a thread from last week:

Redskin QB rumor in Philly. Schanahan [sic] wants his old QB Jay Cutler. Philly trades McNabb back to his old hometown in Chicago, Chicago sends Cutler to Redskins. Philly gets draft picks in 3 way deal.

I went on to the intertubes and was unable to find any substantiation, not even a recitation of the rumor. So I have no idea where that comes from.

Still, conceptually there are four reasons this is not a crazy idea:

1. We know the Redskins were interested in Jay Cutler in the 2009 offseason. Ultimately they could not pull it off. In the aftermath of that story there was at least one rumor that the Redskins had made it known to Jay Cutler, way back in April of 2009, that the team was looking at Mike Shanahan as its next coach. Were Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler just taking a year off from each other?

2. Mike Shanahan would be happy to reunite with Jay Cutler. As the 2009 season wound down and coach Shanahan's name entered the coaching sweepstakes around the league, the Chicago Bears surfaced as potentially a good fit, principally because of coach Shanahan's quote comfort level unquote with Jay.

3. Chicago did not warm up to Jay Cutler. In his first season with the Bears, after turning the league on its ear with demands to be traded away from Denver and new coach Josh McDaniels, Jay set a career high for interceptions. The team and the fans are clearly frustrated and it would not surprise me if Jerry Angelo and the Bears front office was spitballing ways to get one of those first round picks back, or get another proven quarterback with some tread left.

4. Donovan McNabb is the subject of many trade rumors around the league. Despite Eagles coach Andy Reid's assertion that Donovan is his starter for 2010, there is a head of steam among the Eagles faithful that it is time to part ways with Donovan while he still has some trade value. Personally I think that is crazy, the guy has done everything in the world for that franchise and they should be announcing publicly that Dono will be there until he decides to leave football. Nonetheless, coach Reid waffled on his options for 2010 and the fanbase wants him gone. Donovan McNabb is originally from Chicago.

So in this trade scenario the Bears get Donovan McNabb, the Redskins get Jay Cutler and the Eagles get what they always want, more draft picks.

Notwithstanding my serious manlove for Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler would be a good fit with Mike Shanahan in Washington for all the reverse reasons Jim Zorn would not be a good fit with Jay in Chicago.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 6, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

funny how Deion is slightly trying to clown Portis...

Posted by: ATLredskin | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM |

Posted by: TWISI | February 6, 2010 12:28 AM
==========================
thanks for the interview link...
Wow.. what a dysfunctional locker room that was in 2009.

Appears Portis (notice how he speaks of himself in Third Person) got revenge on Sellers for calling him out... Basically Sellers called out Portis for 3 straight games to "be a leader" and push the players..
So, Portis turned on Sellers as the problem that needed "calling out". And asked the coaches to take him out..

hard to unload a 20 Mil RB but, the Skins would be better off without Portis.. much improved team morale, too.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 6, 2010 3:38 AM | Report abuse

What about Joe Bugel? Doesn't he deserve some consideration? After all, he created the Hugs.

Posted by: abxinc | February 6, 2010 4:59 AM | Report abuse

==========================
thanks for the interview link...
Wow.. what a dysfunctional locker room that was in 2009.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 6, 2010 3:38 AM
------------------------------------------
You have to remember that they coach allowed this stuff to go on. The coach is the boss and it is up to him to nip this stuff in the bud when it starts to rise up. Zorn was a weak coach who let the players do what they want. You could tell by the older veterans' comments that they thought there was no discipline, and those same guys are grateful for Shanahan. If Shanahan keeps Portis, you can bet he will have some tight reins on him, but I am hopeful that CP just goes.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 6, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Well that's just ignorant on many levels.

If your narrow definition of "athleticism" means running fast and jumping high, then there are plenty of football players that don't count as "athletes" - like the big fat linemen who just stand there and wrestle people.

Hitting a baseball requires more hand-eye coordination than any other sport I can think of, and playing outfield at an All-Star level in baseball reqires a tremendous amount of athleticism (even stuff like running fast and jumping).

"Air" Jordan was obviously a great jumper. But he also obviously lacked the hand-eye coordination to effectively put a bat on a ball even at a minor league level.

What the "2 sport" argument shows is how incredibly talented Bo was as an all-around athlete - so talented that he could get paid to play 2 sports at an All-Star level, with each sport show-casing a different aspect of being a talented "athlete".

Posted by: p1funk | February 6, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Re: News on Portis

Wait a minute!!!

You mean Portis did something in the lockerroom to create drama!

Portis threw a teammate under the bus!?

Whoa...now THAT's news!

Posted by: p1funk | February 6, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

To Mr.Moe, this is in response to your, "the Katrina folks should have got out of town before the storm, and I hate to be mean rant".

It's kind of hard to get out of town when you don't have a car or a wallet full of cash or plastic.

Your opinion is typical of a pompous
Black republican, but what else is new. Since you have a vehicle(s) and a wallet full of cash and plastic to get out of your ho hum South Florida if a storm approaches I guess you have no idea what it's like to be in a position to not have it like that.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 6, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 6, 2010 3:11 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if a move was made for Cutler this offseason.. I don't think it'll be wise idea given the concerns of other position and the limited draft picks and free agent options. However, I'm not sure if Cutler would be that much different from Portis in the locker room.

Posted by: TWISI | February 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | February 5, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but there are a couple of problems with that. First, Portis is owed a guaranteed 7 million dollars-plus for next season, and no renegotiation will change that. Second, no one knows what the cap rules will be after this season, or if there will even be a cap. Not knowing what the rules will be makes it difficult for all involved to know what to negotiate for.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 6, 2010 10:13 AM

I wouldn't say it's an impossibility but I'd say there is less than a 5% chance of Cutler coming here.

1. Bears overpaid for him and I'm sure they wouldn't expect modest compensation for him. Say a 2nd, I wouldn’t give up the 4th overall pick for him.
2. Hired Martz to coach him up.
3. He makes Portis look like the Drew Brees of locker room leaders.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 6, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

72Redskins,

Don't be so materialistic. I bet you can't even imagine a time without cars, computers, cell phones...etc.

I once lived in a position where I didn't have a car and I didn't have more than enough cash to pay a $350/mo rent fee. I ended up joining the service. I can't even afford a cell-phone friendo. I bet you got the latest blacksberry or smart phone.

If you knew that a hurricane so severe was coming your way and that your home/all your personal belongings were going to be destroyed, then you use what little money you have(that you woulda spent on food or rent) to catch a bus, train, bikes or jogging, whatever the F you gotta do to get outta there!

72Redskins, I know everything I said may have gone over your head, but just think about it. People who lost their homes, how were they paying their rent to live in that home? Job? Govt? It doesn't matter if you know your home is gonna get wrecked you take that money and get the F outta there. I'd rather be alive than worry about where I'm gonna stay/eat/wear for the next couple of days.

You are the one who sounds like a typical middle school "gimme gimme gimme" girlie who would rather die than give up your nail polish and reruns of 'The Hills'.

Oh and since I'm not a Repub, why don't you give me your best insult, without repeating T.V. rhetoric you helpless Zombie.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

72Redskins,

I can tell you've never been poor because you don't understand what it takes to survive at all costs!

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Uh Oh,

There's nobody out there to help me.

No Government to bail me out.

I guess I should just assume the Fetal Position and DIE!

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry RI

That dumb@ss jus really pissed me off with that cash and cars being the end all be all last resort before giving up!

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

72Redskins,

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

?

I've never been poor. Is that something I should be ashamed of?

Posted by: p1funk | February 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely not. p1funk.

Said Poster thinks that if any1 says Katrina victims shoulda helped themselves, then that makes them rich republicans.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

SO...Now it's time for everyone who took Mike Sellers side to retract.....

And where is RI with a write up on this? Oh yeah, cuz it makes Portis look better and more human than they would like....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 6, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:13 AM

Not, that makes them callous. Most of my family are rich republicans (not including me) and they went down there personally to help out. That statement you made makes you an a$$. You might as well be rascist because you sure do believe in stereotypes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

SO...Now it's time for everyone who took Mike Sellers side to retract.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 6, 2010 11:19 AM

That is assuming Portis is telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Every1 here can stereotype with the best of them scamp. We all get tons of practice don't we?

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh and read 72Redskins post scamp, better yet:

"Your opinion is typical of a pompous

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

We already know the deal 4th.

It's just become really popular to bash Portis now-a-days. You know when he's not rushing for 1500yds and 10tds.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Thats got nothing to do with what you said Vicc. His was a seperate statement than yours. But 72 is wrong also, what that makes him is callous and stupid which is not a trait exclusive to any one race or political affiliation. You 2 are perpetuating BS stereotypes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM |

Well, you got that right.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It is precisely what I said Scamp. Read It.

Lemme get this straight!

MistaMoe thinks Katrina Victims should have helped themselves, then 72Redskins thinks he's a rich republican.

THEN

I point that out(which is the post in question), then scampbell1975 thinks I'm callous.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't talking about you p1funk when I said:

"Said Poster..."

I was referring to 72Redskins.

I mistakenly misused "Said Poster"

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Gotcha Vicc, my bad man. I missed that post. I see that you were just pointing out what someone else said. They were not your words. Sorry dude.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

kool

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Vicc, I was refering to Moe when I said callous. Anyone who thinks Katrina victims shoulda just helped themselves makes them callous, not a rich republican.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

So to sum up. Moe is callous for his remarks, 72 is an a$$ for perpetuating stereotypes, and P1 should be ashamed for not being poor:)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe and I--for that matter--never said the Govt shouldn't help.

The Govt. and other caring people should absolutely help.

What's wrong with thinking people should have done anything and everything to survive in the face of imminent danger? One of these days it could happen to you or me. What would you do if there were no immediate help?

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Real Housewives of Redskin Insider.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe and I--for that matter--never said the Govt shouldn't help.

The Govt. and other caring people should absolutely help.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 11:53 AM |

Well in that light there is nothing wrong with trying to survive. God knows what I've had to do. I don't expect anyone to sit around and wait for someone else to do what they could do for themselves. That really wasn't my point. But again I have to apologize because I didn't realize that this started yesterday and I have since read the original post from Moe and I completely agree. Self sufficiency and reliance is an admirable quality no matter how much money one has.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's what I get for jumping in at the a$$ end of a debate without being armed with the knowledge of the whole conversation. I'll call d-bag status on myself for that one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Real Housewives of Redskin Insider.

Posted by: SMACK1

Jus pulled my made-from-scratch Choco-Chip/Pecan cookies out the oven. lol

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm MMmmmm, Pecan Sandies and snickerdoodles.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

When people continue to vote in incompetent azzholes just because they sound and look good on the boobtoob, they deserve most of what they end up with.

That includes the current crop of idiots in DC all they way down to mayors and such.

It also includes both parties.

I have always believed in helping my fellow man/woman, but only if they are willing to help themselves. Those that just stand around with their hands out can go suck an egg.

If that makes me callous, then I wear it very proudly, thank you.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

If that makes me callous, then I wear it very proudly, thank you.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM |

Nope, that makes you smart.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

snow making everyone a little testy today?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 6, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

snow making everyone a little testy today?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 6, 2010 12:09 PM |

Huh, huh, you said testy

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

A large majority of New Orleans residents then and now live at or below the poverty level. That means many did not have the means and resources such as transportation, money, and out of town/state destinations where they could just pick up and go. "Just leave" is easier said than done, that's why so many were still in the city when the storm hit.

As far as me being poor or not, that is irrelavent. I do however have the means to leave and a destination to go to if a major hurricane were to hit my area. That does not preclude me form having empathy for those in New Orleans or anywhere else who don't have the means to evacuate a disaster area. If your poor it's just not easy to pick up and go with limited resoureces.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 6, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Nope, that makes you smart.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:09 PM

I dunno, scamp, I see all these peeps on the boobtoob that are called smart and I am not sure that I like to be lumped in with them. Mostly I just want to throw my shoe at the TV at some of the statements that the so-called smart people make.

But I appreciate the sentiment.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Were you ever eating finger food and you bit your finger?

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If your poor it's just not easy to pick up and go with limited resoureces.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 6, 2010 12:13 PM

`

True.

No one said it would be easy.

It's definitely not impossible though. *trust me*

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I understand what you are saying 72. I also believe that where there is a will there is a way. To expect others to do for you what you have not attempted to do for yourself is wrong and lazy. A lot of these people simply refused to leave after plenty of warning. The ones that tried and failed are the ones I have sympathy and empathy for.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Lastest mock draft analysis 180+ drafts

#1 - Clausen 47%, Suh 46%, Bradford 6%, Berry 1%
#2 - Suh 48%, G.McCoy 37%, Okung 13%, Berry 1%, Morgan 1%
#3 - Berry 42%, G.McCoy 40%, Okung 5%, Suh 5%, Morgan 4%, Clausen 2%
#4 - Bradford 45%, Okung, 26%, Clausen 20%, G.McCoy 3%, Berry 3%, Campbell 1%
#5 - Okung 41%, Berry 23%, Campbell 8%, McClain 6%, Davis 5%, Williams 4%

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 6, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Lastest mock draft analysis 180+ drafts" - nooneintampa

Whoa. That's a lot of research.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

. . . P

. . E P

. E E P

Beep beep.

Posted by: Vicc | February 6, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The ones who refused to leave are surely the ones who did not have the means to do so. Think about it, most of these people were chronic working poor or on govt aid living in public housing. Most people in that predicament don't have their own transportation, never mind the money for gas, food, hotel, or a set destination out of the area. The ones who tried and failed, failed because at the outset the whole process was a bungled mess by local, state, and most importantly the federal govt. Hopefully the nation has learned from the Katrina debacle and this situation in the face of a similar disaster won't be repeated. Everyone is not as fortunate as you, some people need help to help themselves, and sometimes there is no other place to look than government, that's my opinion. In any case have a good day, and enjoy the indoors if your snowed in. (My post was meant soley for Mr.Moe but I see others felt the need to weigh in. So be it.)

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 6, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse