Hall, Kendall Hope to Return

Dan Steinberg reports:

With the end of the season approaching, the Redskins' potential free agents are beginning to deal with questions from the media about the future. DeAngelo Hall and Pete Kendall both discussed their contract status at length today and expressed a desire to stay in Washington.

"I feel comfortable," Hall said of the team's defensive scheme. "I like it. I like it a lot. I think a lot of other guys might not like it, but I like it a lot. After coming from Oakland, you'll like pretty much anything."

Jason La Canfora reported earlier today that the team has begun preliminary contract negotiations with Hall, and he reiterated today his wish to remain with the franchise.

"They have to sit down and figure out in their front office if I'm who they want," Hall said. "They might say "˜Hey, he's a great player, but he doesn't fit in here,' and if that's the case, everything I've done from the point I left Oakland 'til now is my audition tape. I'm not gonna slack off or anything like that, I'm not gonna go harder, I'm gonna play the same way I've been playing. I wouldn't have came here if I thought it was just gonna be for eight games. You know, I came here with the intent and the mindset that I was gonna be here for a long time. And that's kind of the approach I've been taking. I'm not gonna sit in here when the game's over Monday and clean out my locker and hope to get out of here. Nah. I'm gonna leave everything in there hoping I'm back. That's kind of the approach I'm taking."

Kendall praised the organization and said he think the team could be primed for a playoff run in '09 and would like to be a part of it.

"Of course I'd like to have some resolution sooner rather than later, but hopefully I can remain calm enough to understand that that may not come," he said.

"I can't force the issue. Free agency starts whenever it starts. Until then, I'm only allowed to speak with the Redskins, and then after that whoever wants to talk to me can. I can't make anybody want to talk to me, we'll just play it by ear and see how it goes. All things being equal, I would have liked to have something worked out. I mean, everyone likes security. There's no hard feelings here between me and the organization, at least not on my end. They'll make their decisions when they're ready to make the decision, and I'll deal with it however it turns out."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 24, 2008; 2:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache Enthused about Returning
Next: Jansen's Pushing Himself to Play

Comments

Kendall should definitely be brought back. Smart, savvy linemen who's played well for us and been durable. Won't cost that much either, let him and Rhinehart fight it out for pt next year. Competition can't hurt. And let's pray we dont spend big on Hall. Playmaker, yes. Troublemaker, yes. We have some high quality guys, dont mess it up. Blache said he didnt want any "all about me" type guys.

Posted by: saltine182 | December 24, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Keep Hall and let Rodgers go!!!

Posted by: thepinched | December 24, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

cindy, sure! next time you see me please bring it up and we'll talk about your compensation and why you're working on x-mas eve x-mas covering a perennial dysfunctional team.

i can't believe how many updates we've had TODAY in like 2 hours. crazy!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Kendall has had a decent season EXCEPT for that terrible decision to try and run the ball vs. the RAMS. Hate to say it... had that "1" play not happened we'd be in great shape for a wildcard spot ( although we'd most likley loose in the first round again)

Posted by: cwprice2 | December 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Imagine what this defense would be with Sean Taylor. Makes you easily forget Champ Bailey.

Definitely Blache comes back ... as asst. Head Coach.

Smoot and Kendall I think would end up being the salary cap victims. If you are going to start over somewhere it has to be on the OL as many here have described. One can see the logic to getting rid of the high-priced older, injury prone types on the OL as they have not been as effective this year as last. Whereas Springs and company have been very effective when they are in together on defense.

Markedly so. Even under the worst possible adversity. When that happens the defense rises and the offense folds. Enough for one to think, keep the defense and replace offensive guys until the chemistry is right.

The defense has earned their pay. The offense has not.

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ha... only day of the year I have time to blog on R.I. and everyone is gone home for Christmas/ Hanukkah / Kwanza/ Festivus/ Chirstmika...

Let the airing of grievences commence !

Posted by: cwprice2 | December 24, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:06 PM |

No, not Kendall. He's near the vet minimum and cannot be a "salary cap victim." If you don't bring him back it's because you can find someone else whose better and will play for the vet minimum. That's the only reason not to bring him back. And I don't think we can find anyone better than Kendall at that price.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

you know what i don't understand, sincerely, is that skins were rated the most profitable/worth the most amount of money franchise and i think they may have switched with the girls as #2...i know yankees are up there but how in the world can the yankees spend all that money, like $200 mil a year in salaries???? when they make less than dallas and washington? what am i missing?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that's going to be true. This year he counted as $3,050,000 against the cap all inclusive. He has no contract next year. That does not mean he will accept the league minimum. He was unwilling to do so with the Jets. What makes you think this would be different?

"No, not Kendall. He's near the vet minimum and cannot be a "salary cap victim."

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The name "yankees" is a lucrative copyright name all by itself. Of course they make money. To make more they must continue to keep the name and marquee marketable.

The Nationals just aren't there yet ... the operative word is "yet". They have the potential to do what the Redskins have done and possibly be to the National league what the Yankees are in the American. After all they are the "Nationals" of the National league.

I hope that Teixiera will be sorry he did not sign with the Nationals.

"but how in the world can the yankees spend all that money, like $200 mil a year in salaries????"

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Hall has played very well and is worth bringing in if he doesn't break the bank. Kendall is a must-keep - especially if it's for the veteran minimum. He'd make a great backup at OG if they can find someone else to start in his place.

The cap rules the day and any move made will have to be cap friendly.

Posted by: kingrob76 | December 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

If you bring in a free agent guard and have Chad Rhinehart, does that make Kendall expendable?

Should the starting right tackle job be handed to Stephon Heyer?

Should Zorn scheme more formations and a 'spread the ball around' play-calling style next season?

Definately

Should the running attack be a 'running back by committee' approach that saves Portis for Decemeber and January?

Duh

Does Betts get more involved in the screen/short pass design like he did this past Sunday?

Sure, why not

Maybe Fred Davis, aka Alge Crumpler Jr., have more potential than Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?

Yeah, are you kidding?

With Carlos Rogers under your contractual thumb-- and the Skins have him there-- do you pay him for what he is, a third corner?

If you can get Haynesworth, do you say good-bye to Jason Taylor

Good question

Which Ravens' linebacker is worth being shown the money?

Suggs-- then you say good-bye to Taylor

Does the Skins' D need wholesale or scheme adjustments considering they play the AFC West and middle tier NFC teams next year?

Scheme

What should happen next season considering a weaker schedule and JC's eventual improvement in a diverse offense

11-5 playoffs

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 24, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i'm sorry i meant washington skins...i was comparing the yankees to washington ***skins not washington nationals. my question was how can the yankees afford $200 mil in salaries when washington is only spending like half that and washington ***skins make more money than the yanks. wouldn't it be more profitable for the yankees owner(s) to buy the skins instead?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

11-5 playoffs

Posted by: MistaMoe

You are assuming he'll improve. I'd rather not assume.

As far as RB, we need more speed! Betts and CP aren't taking it to the house anytime soon. Look for a apeedster in the mold of C. Johnson of the Titans.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 24, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You have to look at the BIG PICTURE not "positionally".

Taylor, like Kendall has no contract next year. No guaranteed bonuses. Nothing. He won't accept the league minimum but he may accept a contract loaded with incentives. You can easily fit Taylor and Suggs. What you can't fit is Washington and Suggs, plus McIntosh and Fletcher. I would say you drop McIntosh for Suggs. Keep Fletcher, Washington and Taylor. They are far better players.

You may let Griffin, Daniels, and Carter go as well. That is where having someone who knows how to draft in the lower AND UPPER rounds like Scott Paioli works. They don't have that.

"Which Ravens' linebacker is worth being shown the money?

Suggs-- then you say good-bye to Taylor"

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I get what you mean about CP and Betts.

To the ridicule of many--which I suffered a lot of recently-- I'd like to field the following running back group next season:

Portis-Moreno-Betts

or Portis-Derrick Ward-Betts

or: burn the 1st pick on the Gators' Percy Harvin and he starts at slot receiver/punt returner/kick returner. This means I'm getting rid of Antwan 'Fair Catch' Randle El, if I can, or keep Randle El and get rid of Thrash, which is a no-brainer.

I like Harvin as he's a field-flipper like Westbrook/Hester/Bush/Sproles/Slaton/Cribbs
are. He excels in the SEC.

But of course, we Madden GMs get laughed at for stating the obvious when we say linemen can be had, but a game changing skill guy must be drafted.

Oh, well. Here comes the laughter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 24, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Funny how careful guys are around this time of year wih their words. Portis got his money so he can shoot his mouth off when, and how he wants.

I would definitely sign Hall. I think you cut ties with Kendall. If you're rebuilding the O-line, you have to rebuild it with a combination of draftees and free agents. Kendall won't make it through next season

Posted by: rickyroge | December 24, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, well. Here comes the laughter.

Posted by: MistaMoe

No laughter from me. I don't care who they draft or sign as a FA, as long as they can fly, catch out of the backfield, and outrun the lb's. Speed definitely kills, and it would make it easier on a (hopefully) younger O-line as they wouldn't have to hold their blocks so long.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 24, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Merry Xmas, or happy whichever holiday you might be celebrating. And if you don't have a holiday, then simply enjoy the day.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow. No beepage today? I was hanging out at the last post thinking I was the only one at work......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 24, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hall adds the threat of turnover that can cause a QB to hold on just a bit longer. That leads to sacks. I like his playing style and he can catch the football. I hope he has the opportunity to compete for punt returner.

Kendall, besides his skills in blocking, has a very important attribute: Durability. We need players that can practice and play each week. Great players that are constantly injured are not as valuable.

Posted by: realityvision | December 24, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 3:29 PM

He's already the cheapest starting lineman we have, and I think $3.05 million was his cap figure over the last two years. But I don't swear by that. The reason he will take less is because when he left the Jets there were a couple of teams interested in him. This year, he's two years older and with his knees, no one will count on him as a starter. Skins can probably get him with a two-year vet min contract with a modest signing bonus.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 24, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
as always, brought to you by the fine remaining folk at Yahoo!

Zeke takes a look at what it will take to succeed in 2009.

If Jason Campbell steps up in 2009 and we replace Jansen at RT, presuming we can manage the cap issue with him, and Heyer or a high draft pick rookie does a good job, while Randy Thomas and Rabach keep playing at their current level, and our RBs do a better job at helping Rabach with those big nose tackles, plus Samuels fully recovers and Reinhart steps in for Kendall and plays like a vet, and if Portis and Betts rotate so Portis stays healthy all season and if Moss's hammys don't seize up on him and at least one of the young WRs make a quantum leap and everyone stays reasonably healthy, then the offense should do OK, providing Zorn is a bit more creative in the play calling.

On defense, if we get rid of Carter and Taylor resigns for cheap and plays at his 2005 level, while the young DTs improve or Griffin stays healthy providing we don't let him go, then we can count on Evans on the other side, assuming Wilson or Jackson can deliver the 3rd down heat, unless Daniels returns in which case he can do the run stopping and allow our LBs to blitz more, providing that Rocky's knees hold up and naturally, Fletcher remains indestructible and perhaps Marcus is gone due to injuries if we can handle the cap hit, and then if HB improves a bunch, we'll be OK since then we've got a good secondary as long as we resign Hall or Springs restructures and stays healthy, while Horton improves a bunch and Smoot gives us a backup, and if Rogers can catch the ball, which is a long shot of course, then this defense is playoff quality.

As for the special teams, Plack can be replaced, but maybe his placement inside the 20's is worth the shorter punts and if Suisham or his replacement can become consistent plus kick off with depth, we should be OK there and hopefully Zorn will get visited by the ghost of Christmas punt returns and realizes Tiny Tm gets nothing when Randle El is back there and gives Rock a chance and Danny Smith just isn't getting it done, so perhaps the next teams coach will get some pressure on the other teams kickers.

Oh yes, and if we get the ball down on the 1 yard line, can we give it to Portis?

All the way in 2009.

And that is it for ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, the Christmas week edition,
as always, brought to you by the fine remaining folk at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who Hall was refering to when he said some guys may not like the scheme?

Posted by: wfchez | December 24, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Let the airing of grievences commence !

Posted by: cwprice2 | December 24, 2008 3:06 PM
============================================
Happy Festivus, Everyone!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 24, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"If Springs can play free safety it would be the closest thing to having Sean Taylor."

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? REALLY?!?

Posted by: cochranalan | December 24, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

$10,000 for making the snow angel. Wow, just wow. The commissioner really is a miserable little sjk.

If I wanted to witness this many absurd fines I'd work at a municipal library.

And good job moving the Eagles Cowboys game to 4:15. Not only will there be less drama that way, but the game will not be shown locally.

Roger Goodell, everything you touch turns to SJK. Merry Christmas to everyone except you!

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 24, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Happy Christmas all from Blighty! Just watching Flash Gordon with the Queen soundtrack, looks like it was made by high school students...magic. God bless Freddie, HTTR and F-Dallas! Ho ho ho!

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 24, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Re-sign Hall, Springs is always hurt and Rogers couldn't cover a bed with a blanket.

Re-sign Kendall in a backup roll, with his knowledge he could be very helpful teaching rookies.

Moreover, if someone were to go down, it would be a seamless fit for Kendall go into the line and be affective.

One thing I hate hearing, as I often do on this team.
" Geez I haven't played that position since my freshman year in college".

Kendall is a sound proven guard.

Posted by: dashriprock | December 24, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

South of the Equator Christmas greetings to everyone!

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | December 24, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas Peru.
Can you watch the games down there?

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 24, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Sween,
Congrats on the FF victory.
Tear'em up in the championships...

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 24, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

-- If I were the Skins GM --

For Defense:

I would definitely bring Hall back, draft another mid-round CB, and drop either Smoot or Tryon. I'd bring back Green over Doughty and think about drafting another low round S to complete with Moore.

I'd also replace Griffin with Haynesworth -- if possible. He can collapse the pocket and penetrate the o-line... Tender Golston and Montgomery. Draft a pocket collapsing DT to replace Boschetti.

Taylor has one year remaining and will be coming back. I'd try to sign Suggs as a replacement for Washington -- who I would cut -- he's simply missed too many games due to injury over the past three seasons. However, I'd try to re-sign him at a lower salary and as a 4th/situational LB -- provided he can play special teams. I'd also draft a OLB to complete with Fincher and Sinclair.

For Offense:

In my opinion, Kendall has been the Skins most consistent o-lineman. However, I'd still sign a bigger, stronger, quicker free agent LG and re-sign Kendall as a backup G. They also should sign a free agent RT and delegate Jansen as a backup T. I'd take two mid-to-high o-lineman in the draft (C/G and RT) and cut Fabini, Geisinger, Batiste, Clark, and Montgomery after camp.

I'd resign Yoder as a backup (if he plays teams), cut Collins, and draft a mid-to low round #3 QB -- moving Brennan up to #2. I'd consider drafting a backup FB and cutting Thrash.

For Special Teams:

They have to replace almost everyone on special teams; including the coaches. That includes the punter, kicker, and punt returner/blockers. I like Cartwright and Albright. They should pick up a free agent punter, kicker, and either sign or draft special teams specialists who can actually block kicks, block on returns, and are more effective gunners. In addition, it's finally time to replace both Thrash and Campbell with a better special teams specialists. I'd also use either ARE or Brennan as the holder; instead of the new punter.

Posted by: siris | December 24, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Pisco sours for everyone south of the equator

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 24, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cwprice2 | December 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Kendall's play was a fluke and enough said about that. What was not a fluke was Suisham missing a field goal which would have beaten the Rams. I can think of 2 or 3 other games which a made field goal would have given us some momentum. Suisham needs to be cut Sunday night right after the 49ers game in the locker room and given a bus ticket to Vancouver. Period.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 24, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

For starters it was Blache's idea, seemingly strongly espoused by JLa. It should extend his career. He is still a great cover corner and has Sean Taylor's speed. He has some of the athleticism but not the toughness obviously. He isn't going to hit them so hard they won't remember anything else.

'If Springs can play free safety it would be the closest thing to having Sean Taylor.'

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? REALLY?!?"

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

They only have 1 first 2 thirds, an fifth and a seventh draft pick this year.

I would attempt a trade to get more. Clearly Portis will be hard to deal. Betts? Rocky Mc but with those knees? Chicago did express interest 2 years ago. Sign Suggs as a replacement.

Get Suggs if they can or someone like him. But they still need more picks.

If its need based:
At least 3 should go toward the OL, preferably OT's that can play guard. The first rounder could ostensibly go toward a running back, otherwise CB / athletic LB type.

They need more picks. As many as they can get without leveraging the future. That is easier on the salary cap.

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

the weak link on the line is Jon Jansen! Casey Rabach may be a little small to handle the big guys in the middle these days too.

Kendall is fine. The weak link is the right side, especially Jansen. his weakness made Cooley have to stay in and block as well. i could not tell if Randy Thomas was struggling or not because Jansen and Rabch appeared to be beat so often.

Posted by: simplewords999 | December 24, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

They only have 1 first 2 thirds, an fifth and a seventh draft pick this year.

Posted by: periculum | December 24, 2008 7:02 PM

Who has those picks you speak of if you are talking about the Skins you obviously can't read, because it has been stated on this blog atleast a 1000 times that the Skins have 1st, 3rd, 5th, and a 6th thats it 4 draft picks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 24, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

You've got to be kidding me,get rid of Suishanm the guy had three holders this year he has a strong leg, he will go somewhere else and be an all pro!!! As far as Kendall is concerned i'm on the fence with those bad knee's could this guy go somewhere else and start? NO! If You're going to upgrade the O line then it starts with Kendall and Jansen being replaced, i'm willing to live with Rabach, and Zorn needs to allow Rabach to make the line calls next season.I'm in favor of bringing all the D-backs to camp next year and let them fight it out this group has performed above and beyond the call especially since they had to put up with an anemic pass rush and yes try to resign Hall he is a strong defender but he needs to improve his tackling skills and yes they need to win Sunday 8-8 will not cut it.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 24, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

***SPOILER ALERT***

I just got done wrapping presents for the lil ones. And I'm tired. And couldn't have the cookies and milk neither cuz I'm on jm220 diet.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Kendall goes 285... Cowboy guards go 340... face facts, 285 just ain't gonna cut it in the NFC East!

Posted by: egrib | December 24, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I continue to read posts second guessing Zorn's decision to go with Sellars rather than Portis on the goal line. I have no problem with the call. Sellars is 6'2" 280lbs. Portis is 5'10" 220. That's what fullbacks are for (See Mike Alstott). Sellars just needed to get in....that's it...that's all!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 24, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: egrib | December 24, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Seems like it would be that way. But why are the Redskins ranked 8th in the league (out of 32 teams) in rushing while the Cowboys are ranked 19th? It's not as simple as just having big bodies. You have to look at the tape and see who was missing their assignments, and how often. I'm sure Buges is on top of this and would let them know if one of his guys isn't reliable. (Might help if we had a quarterback, and please don't tell me he didn't have time. If JC could read blitzes and find open guys, we might not be discussing the O-line, excepting needing some youth for development and depth.)

Posted by: olavsmith | December 24, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Its the chemistry thing ... you really have to keep Hall, Springs AND Rogers. No doubts about it. That, along with LaRon Landry is the nucleus of this defense. If Springs can play free safety it would be the closest thing to having Sean Taylor... i agree witht the first part of that statement but shawn springs in nowhere near the safety sean taylor every was!!! sean taylor was a complete and utter athletic freak of nature and was at the beginning of his career. springs is washed up. he is not rod woodson, who was an all decade corner who then turned into an all pro safety later in his career to prolong it!!! shawn springs is hurt all the time and even though he was a top 5 pick he has never lived up to the hype. if, you can bring springs back for half the price that would be fantastic but definitely keep hall and rogers and dump smoot!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 24, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Merry Xmas all.
Santa has struck like a Carlos Rogers interception.
The kids will get their DeAngelo Hall payday tomorrow.
Dad will not be going on IR with a fatal calf injury.
But even Fred Smoot wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise tomorrow morning.

Posted by: daggar | December 25, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

A very merry Christmas to all the boys and girls in RI-land!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 25, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas all.

Next year the 'skins will play:
San Diego
Denver
Oakland
Kansas City
(all those teams should be better next year or they should play in the PAC-10) btw, not since Gibbs 1.0 has the 'skins done well against the AFC.

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa
New Orleans

and if the 'skins win Sunday,
Green Bay
Seattle

if they lose
Detroit
St. Louis

So, stopping the run will be even more important next year. So the greatest need for the D is a stud DT. As long as it isn't Sean Gilbert, Dana Stubblefield or Big Daddy Wilkinson.

Lastly, Marcus Washington should be given one more year due to the fact that this defense is much better when he's healthy.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 25, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if JLC would like to comment on Blache's quote about working for the 'skins:

"But all in all, the most consistent feeling has been a lot of pride to be associated with some class young men and a class organization. There's no utopias in our business. But the position that I'm in with the staff that I have to work with, the ownership, the leadership, I can't envision having a better job than what I have right now."

JLC, what do you think? Here is a man you respect (Blache) talking about the quality and class of an organization (Redskins) that you think is classless and adrift.

Can't wait to hear you ignore this one!

Posted by: hithere1 | December 25, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to hear you ignore this one!

Posted by: hithere1 | December 25, 2008 1:34 AM

What do you expect that to sound like?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 25, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

My Skins Christmas list (of course it is part fantasy, you silly elves):

First of all, I hope the strategic minds in the front office come up with a 3 year plan to get us to become an elite team. Although not "awful" we have not been very good in quite a few years.

I wish for Jason Campbell to remain healthy in 2009. He will progress as long as he is healthy. To remain healthy the next item has to be covered.

Draft a right tackle. Not just any right tackle but a monster right tackle, someone who will dominate his man, so that 'run right' is heard so many times that it becomes boring. I want the Redskins to become synonomous with hard nosed brutal running once again. I want the defenses to know that we own the fourth quarter. This leads to the next item.

Give up on the WCO. This is not the West Coast. This is NFC East, Vinnie. This is where you grind your opponents into the dirt with big backs and dominating offensive lines. This is the division that looks forward to playing their opponents in the cold, the wet, the mud, and not to mention swirling winds that make quarterbacks look pathetic. Forget an offense built on 5 yard passes--it did not work this year nor will it accomplish must next year. You have a strong armed quarterback who can deliver the long bomb. Find one receiver who can fight for that long pass, who can separate himeself from the defense, who can bring back the images of #42. Your offense,Vinnie, will consist of brutal running and the long bomb. Think about it, make it your primary vision. Scheme for it, put it number 1 on your to do list every day. Trust me, Vinnie, the fans don't think this is boring. The Skins fans love the thought. They will even dress in feminine Hogwear if you do this.

And if you are feeling extra generous this time of year Vinnie, we would really like to get a pass rush back. Just a little one would be greatly appreciated. Well,maybe that is asking for too much.

Posted by: driley | December 25, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The skins keep blowing their horn that they are the 4'th best defense in the NFL. Statistically speaking they are correct, but aren't they the worst 4'th ranked defense ever. Granted, they are head and shoulders above the offense but they couldn't shut anyone down in the 4th quarter when most top ranked defenses are at their best. Replacements are needed on both the offensive and defensive lines. If we could pass block and rush the passer that would be a good start.

Posted by: thestasman | December 25, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

No question, sign them both. Number 1, you can't have enough good lineman, Kendall is up in years, but he has another or so in him. Number 2, keep Hall, he earned it, pay him. Springs is on his was out, he is not a 16 game player.

Posted by: bills_2_cents | December 25, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum

Are you insane?

Posted by: rachel216 | December 25, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

There is only one position that should be at the top of Washington's wish list: A QUALIFIED NFL-Caliber GM.

How can we get the following list of candidates to Mr. Snyder?

Posted by: spambucket6 | December 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree!
The skins need A QUALIFIED NFL-Caliber GM/PLAYER PERSONNEL.

Ask around the league and everyone has Vinnie ranked as one of the worst, if not the abosolute worst. I loved that the skins put him on the air, his displays of stupidity and insecurity has been classic. Maybe this is part of Danny's plan to let him hang himself publically.

Danny: stop being such an idiot, what you are doing is not working; take a step back and hire a pro, like the guy from the Titans who is now available.

A real GM/head of player personnel is all the skins need to be in the hunt just every year.

That and a new stadium in DC near the metro. The travel and parking only gets worse every year. I'm down to going to only two games a year now, and next year will only go to one. How many more Philly and Steelers fans does Danny want in the seats?

Posted by: oddjob2 | December 25, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

... rogers needs2be shown the door- and take his college teammate with him; its time2move on... until we get a real qb(not a project), we will suffer!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jksond | December 25, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse